NBA All-Star 2014 will bring together the league’s most talented players for a global celebration, transforming New Orleans into the center of the basketball universe. Three days of live game action will culminate with the 63rd NBA All-Star Game at Smoothie King Center on Sunday, Feb. 16.TNT will televise the All-Star Game for a 12th consecutive year, marking Turner Sports’ 29th season of All-Star coverage. Fans in 215 countries and territories and in 47 languages will be able to experience a weeklong celebration of the game through an array of digital technologies offered by NBA Digital, TNT and ESPN. The following is a look at NBA All-Star 2014 by the numbers:
NBA All-Star in New Orleans
2 — New Orleans has hosted two NBA All-Star Games (2008, 2014).
3 — NBA All-Star 2014 marks only the second time that the Sprite Slam Dunk will feature three All-Star Game participants – John Wall (WAS), Damian Lillard (POR) and Paul George (IND). (M. Jordan, D. Wilkins, C. Drexler - 1988).
5 — Portland’s Damian Lillard, first player to participate in five All-Star events.
77 — NBA All-Star 2014 performers have received a combined 77 Grammy nominations (Pharrell – 25; Earth, Wind and Fire – 20; Dr. John – 15; Janelle Monae – 6; Kendrick Lamar – 7; Gary Clark Jr. – 2; Trombone Shorty – 1, Mack Wilds – 1).
All-Star Global Reach
· 1,800 — More than 1,800 media will cover events, including 265 international reporters.
· 90 — More than 90 international television and radio outlets and websites will be onsite, with 16 doing live courtside commentary including in Arabic, French, Greek, Hungarian, Mandarin, and Polish.
NBA on TNT
12 and 29 — This is the 12th consecutive year the All-Star Game will be shown in prime time on TNT, and 29th season Turner Sports has provided All-Star coverage.
· 360 — For the first time, TNT will utilize the innovative freeD™ – free dimensional video – technology providing fans a 360-degree defining replay view of the action.
· 140 — NBA TV, NBA.com and NBA Mobile will present more than 140 hours of All-Star coverage.
NBA Social Media
500M — Over 500 million followers and likes combined across all league, team, and player pages on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Sina, and Tencent that will have access to All-Star.
· 3,000 – The NBA Cares All-Star Community Caravan, led by more than 3,000 NBA family members, partners and volunteers, will include four days of hands-on community service, featuring more than 35 projects.
NBA All-Star Jam Session
· 500,000 — Jam Session boasts over 500,000 square feet and more than 40 attractions.
80,000 — More than 80,000 fans will attend Jam Session over the course of four days.
NBA Players and Legends
1,416,419 and 10 — The Heat’s LeBron James was the leading vote-getter in the NBA All-Star Balloting program presented by Sprint, with 1,416,419 votes. James will be making his 10th All-Star appearance.