PDA

View Full Version : Just how good is Tracy Mcgrady's Defense?

Gamba
08-17-2008, 08:47 AM
I see how alot of people are excited about Artest coming to Houston and saying that the Rockets are one of the best if not the best defensive team in the league.

I know Artest is a good defender, and i know Yao is a good one too.
But just how good Tmac's defense REALLY is?

TmacsRockets
08-17-2008, 09:03 AM
I see how alot of people are excited about Artest coming to Houston and saying that the Rockets are one of the best if not the best defensive team in the league.

I know Artest is a good defender, and i know Yao is a good one too.
But just how good Tmac's defense REALLY is?

Tmac is one of the best in the game.

ronnymac
08-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Dont be an idiot. stop embrassing us rockets fans. tracy is a solid defensive player when he's healthy, but he's nowhere near as to being one of the best. i mean in toronto he came into the league as a defensive stopper, but he's game has evovled into a much more offensive oriented game.

I think most rockets fans are saying a trio of artest, battier and tracy are a very good defensive trio. artest and battier are the best 2 primeter defenders in the game, no doubt about it and tracy isnt all that bad. noones saying tracy is at there level.noone is that stupid or blind. what we are saying that as a collective unit, were gonna be good. this is a team that was behind the celtics as the best defensive team. adding the best defensive primeter player and a top 3 overall defensive player like ron artest will only help.

AItheAnswer3
08-17-2008, 09:13 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

brantonli
08-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Not that great, unfortunately (like most superstars), he tends to settle on defence until crunch time, but by that time it's a bit late. I honestly can't say anything about his steals or blocks becuase he just doesn't play defence often enough to garner a good image. I mean, on man to man if his man doesn't have the ball he barely pays him any attention, and frequently wanders towards the ball, leaving his man open.

Godfather
08-17-2008, 09:34 AM

He only plays good defense when it really matters. Rest of the time he is just trying to rest from putting in his all on the offensive end.

All Net
08-17-2008, 09:42 AM

Don't be such a stupid homer, T-mac is average at best.

Diesel J
08-17-2008, 09:49 AM
A healthy T-mac (Toronto / early Orlando days) is hands down the best defensive perimeter player in the NBA...

Godfather
08-17-2008, 09:50 AM
A healthy T-mac (Toronto / early Orlando days) is hands down the best defensive perimeter player in the NBA...

Was the word you are looking for is was...:pimp:

ronnymac
08-17-2008, 10:03 AM

Whilst that idiot was wrong, when he's healthy and motivated, he's a solid defensive player. not artest or battier like but he's certianly above average.

dirkdiggler41
08-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Suddenly Tracy went to be one of the most underrated defenders. He is not up there with Bowen, Artest or Battier, but he is much better then your avg. defender

L.Kizzle
08-17-2008, 10:20 AM
How good is his Defense huh, well he should have a new nickname ...

Tracy McGreat-D

Real Men Wear Green
08-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Didn't see much of him this year, but overall in his career he's been a guy that would pick and choose moments to play great d and coast otherwise. I'll never forget how he destroyed Big Dog. Bucks won the series, but McGrady won that match-up by a landslide.

boozehound
08-17-2008, 11:26 AM
QFT
tmac is the single best player to ever dribble the ball. he shoots 100% in his mind

dude, homers like you ruin a valid assessment of a very strong rox team.

boozehound
08-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Didn't see much of him this year, but overall in his career he's been a guy that would pick and choose moments to play great d and coast otherwise. I'll never forget how he destroyed Big Dog. Bucks won the series, but McGrady won that match-up by a landslide.
good post. as you and others have said, hes not 100% D effort kinda guy but itd be hard to do that with his importance in other roles as a handler, scorer, etc. he probably equals out slightly above average, but in spurts hes a very good perimeter defender (obviously not batt and artest level, but top 20-30 or something - i dont like rankings)

juju151111
08-17-2008, 12:03 PM
good post. as you and others have said, hes not 100% D effort kinda guy but itd be hard to do that with his importance in other roles as a handler, scorer, etc. he probably equals out slightly above average, but in spurts hes a very good perimeter defender (obviously not batt and artest level, but top 20-30 or something - i dont like rankings)
He freaking shut down dirk in 05 playoffs

SLY
08-17-2008, 03:06 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Hes better than Iverson

SmackOrH.A.K
08-17-2008, 03:12 PM
T-Mac can be Kobe like defender when he is motivated and in important parts of the 4th quarter, overtime, and playoffs. But, I don't think he is ever a below average defender ever like many believe.

AItheAnswer3
08-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Hes better than Iverson

This topic isnt related to Iverson
SO YOU
http://media.g4tv.com/images/blog/2007/11/27/633317514784490542.jpg

Rockets(T-mac)
08-17-2008, 04:41 PM
His defense on a regular basis is just above average to good. When it's clutch time or playoff time he is a very good defender. He has the length to block shots and reach around for steals, can move his feet well, and he due to his length and jumping ability he is good at contesting shots.

In Toronto he was known as a defensive stopper and a great shot blocker, this due to him having to focus on defense a lot since that was the only way he'd playing time. In his first 2 years in Orlando, he broke out offensively and still had his edge on the defensive end, probably his best years where he was doing it on both ends on a regular basis. Then as the offensive load started to get heavier in Orlando he started to focus more on offense and had to take it easier on defense. This continued to happen and when he left Orlando and came to Houston the injury bug started to hit him. Now he had to take it even easier on defense. In Houston he is nothing more than just above average. On ball defense and one-on-one defense he is very good at, can move his feet and stay in front of his man and contest, but off-ball he slacks off a bit and that is usually where he gets exploited.

I agree that he does coast on defense sometimes to save himself for the offensive end. When he is on a good offensive threat though he is usually focused and playing good defense. He has never really been a high steal guy because he doesn't gamble a lot. In this years playoffs his defense was very good for the most part. Usually he is a above average defender, but plays very good defense in clutch time and the playoffs.

goldgrill4me
08-17-2008, 04:54 PM
tmac when he tries his best is a good defender(kind of like his rebounding he could average 7-8 boards a game if he tried harder). he tries much harder in these areas during the playoffs.

Kobe24
08-17-2008, 04:56 PM
His D was actually very good in Toronto.

wTFaMonkey
08-17-2008, 04:57 PM
tmac has ok D IMO.

TMac&Luther
08-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Tmac isn't called on to be the defensive stopper (although he still plays solid defense), but in the playoffs and when it matters he still can elevate his defense when he has too.

The last couple of seasons he's had to spend so much energy getting his shot and setting up teamates (he's pretty much been like a damn point guard on the offensive end) that there hasn't been much energy to play up to his ability on defense.

Hopefully Ron Artest will take pressure off of him on the offensive side and then he'll have the energy to make more plays on the other end.

WeJustNeedaRing
08-17-2008, 06:45 PM
It's better than yours..

ronnymac
08-18-2008, 12:37 AM
Well the way he played against Ron Artest before going to the all-star game was very below average, he let the Kings catch up because of his lack of defense and Ron Artest hit a dying jumper because of T-Mac's lack of D

Will you shutup you retarded yao only fan. what a joke. he puts a team avatar so noone suspect what a bandwagon troll yao fan boy you are. he sits infront of he's PC in china and disgraces all rockets fans over the net.

ronnymac
08-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Well you're regarded here and every wher else as the yao troll. that says something. lol:roll:

ronnymac
08-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Give me some evidence you p.ussy

Honestly, I think anybody on this forum can beat your little white ass I'm black and I'm a T-Mac fan, I've talked about Yao a lot but i'm more of a tmac fan, fa.ggot

Come to Houston you p.ussy and you'll fuc.king get your ass beat because I know other blacks who think Yao is better than Dwight and trust me they'll beat your loner ass. p.ussy

If you think you can beat me up, you havent seen me you little small dick ***.

NY Comeback
08-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Jesus Christ...

*Leaves*

ronnymac
08-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Give me some evidence that i'm chinese...

Aside from making Yao threads, How can anybody be chinese? :roll:

Someone makes Charles Barkley threads, automatically a ni.gger?

idiot.

You're a dumbass bandwagon troll. you've destroyed our image all over the net with you're yao obsession.

TmacsRockets
08-18-2008, 12:50 AM

If Kobe, who got 60 put on him by Arenas, then 51 on him by IVerson and 53 by Allan Houston could make the 1st team defense than so can Mcgrady.

Anti404
08-18-2008, 12:53 AM
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/f/f6/Zdaemon_tdeath.png

This thread has reached failure proportions.

brantonli
08-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Hey guys, just cool it ok? HakeemYaoTmac already promised that he would try not to be a troll anymore, so there's no point in trying to agitate him. It's bad enough that Rockes fans are arguing amongst themselves....:confusedshrug:

Gamba
08-18-2008, 03:37 AM
Give me some evidence you p.ussy

Honestly, I think anybody on this forum can beat your little white ass I'm black and I'm a T-Mac fan, I've talked about Yao a lot but i'm more of a tmac fan, fa.ggot

Come to Houston you p.ussy and you'll fuc.king get your ass beat because I know other blacks who think Yao is better than Dwight and trust me they'll beat your loner ass. p.ussy

Wow, you're so gangster:rolleyes:

BrianScalabrine
08-18-2008, 04:28 AM
Not as good as Tayshaun Prince or Ron Artest but significantly better than Kobe.

June1026
08-18-2008, 04:35 AM
^ 3 idiots.

For a perimeter player who is very much involved on the offensive end as Tmac, he is an above average defender, he was known for his defense in his Toronto days, so you know he can play defense. You see great D from him occasionally, and he makes good rotations. The thing is, that is not his job, they had battier and now they have Ron.

Doranku
08-18-2008, 04:52 AM
Not as good as Tayshaun Prince or Ron Artest but significantly better than Kobe.

It amazes me how this moron hasn't been banned yet.

ronnymac
08-18-2008, 05:17 AM

Banned for having an opinion. lol get over you'reself kobe fan boy.

Younggrease
08-18-2008, 05:55 AM
He only plays good defense when it really matters. Rest of the time he is just trying to rest from putting in his all on the offensive end.

the second round?:confusedshrug:

pethuel03
08-18-2008, 10:28 AM
out of 10 maybe 6?

BrianScalabrine
08-18-2008, 10:34 AM

It is you who should be banned fagboy.