PDA

View Full Version : Have We Seriously Overrated Ricky Rubio????

lilojmayo
08-18-2008, 12:11 PM
ok b4 90% of us had actually watched him we saw on youtube how he played he looked like God's Gift to the PG. People in Europe was talking about him like he was a gift, like a 17yr old David Beckham playing for England's National Team. Now that we have seen him a lot of us have realized how overrated he is. Alot of Ricky Lovers alot from Spain on this Forum are getting defensive. I was hearing that he was the Next Pistol Pete alot, Steve Nash and CP3. This cat only put up 1 pt against China?? you think a Senior in HS Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant, OJ Mayo, Michael Beasley would score only 1pt against China Skinny PG as a HS senior Pistol Pete averaged 44pts in LSU. Heck OJ Mayo put up 21pts a Game for USC and ppl said he was overrated and thats why he dropped from the #1 pick to #3 pick, So why are we giving a pass to Ricky Rubio for his below mediocre performances day in day out?? i see on mock draft that he is going to be #1 pick Next Year so you cant give me that age garbage. He will be playing against CP3 and Williams in less than 365days in the NBA.

to speak like Cowherd of ESPN Radio

well he applies defensive pressure, no it was a mediocre performance
well he can throw alley oops, no it was a mediocre performance

stop making excuses for him

Is it because he dominated ppl his age as a 16 yr playing U-17 Ball against Russia when has Russia ever been revelant in basketball come on now do you cats agree with me he would most likely turn out a Jose Caledron in BEST case scenario.

Maniak
08-18-2008, 12:12 PM
olympic play explains everything, obviously

iamgine
08-18-2008, 12:16 PM
from what I've heard his shooting need major improvement but everything else (court vision, passing, leadership, maturity, ball handling and hustle) is all above average.

Rekindled
08-18-2008, 12:17 PM
ok b4 90% of us had actually watched him we saw on youtube how he played he looked like God's Gift to the PG. People in Europe was talking about him like he was a gift, like a 17yr old David Beckham playing for England's National Team. Now that we have seen him a lot of us have realized how overrated he is. Alot of Ricky Lovers alot from Spain on this Forum are getting defensive. I was hearing that he was the Next Pistol Pete alot, Steve Nash and CP3. This cat only put up 1 pt against China?? you think a Senior in HS Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant, OJ Mayo, Michael Beasley would score only 1pt against China Skinny PG as a HS senior Pistol Pete averaged 44pts in LSU. Heck OJ Mayo put up 21pts a Game for USC and ppl said he was overrated and thats why he dropped from the #1 pick to #3 pick, So why are we giving a pass to Ricky Rubio for his below mediocre performances day in day out?? i see on mock draft that he is going to be #1 pick Next Year so you cant give me that age garbage. He will be playing against CP3 and Williams in less than 365days in the NBA.

Is it because he dominated ppl his age as a 16 yr playing U-17 Ball against Russia when has Russia ever been revelant in basketball come on now do you cats agree with me he would most likely turn out a Jose Caledron in BEST case scenario.

Nice try hater. He is already better than Calderon.

NOHCP3
08-18-2008, 12:18 PM
I really think its hard to rate a player on how he plays against USA and the other olympic teams. Yeah China isnt a particulary strong team, and im sure Lebron,Carmelo and Pistol Pete would have done more than one point. But again those guys are great players, and one is a legend. Its unfair of anybody let alone Ricky lovers to compair him to CP3,let alone a legend like Pistol Pete.

Off of potential alone though the guy should go in the top 5 if not number 1 next year in the draft. I'm going to admit I dont really know what kind of player he's going to turn out to be. But I know that he's a good PG prospect.

Sharas
i'm writing this for like sixth time now.

name me one USA point guard prospect born in 1990 you think could have done as well as rubio did against team USA point guards. just one. then we'll talk.

DatZNasty
olympic play explains everything, obviously
Well it's not a good sign that when he finally goes up against these NBA caliber athletes who people claim he is on par or better with, their athleticism clearly overwhelmed him.

loot
08-18-2008, 12:20 PM
'we'? not me.

southside 101
08-18-2008, 12:21 PM

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat r u serious :banghead: :banghead:

Lebron23
08-18-2008, 12:22 PM
He's a very talented PG, but people should stop comparing him to CP3, Larry Bird, and Pete Maravich because those guys had proven that they can be great players in the NBA.

Let the kid grow, and add some improvement in his arsenal by playing 2 more years in the Euroleague.

Dasher
08-18-2008, 12:25 PM
I am pretty sure Jrue Holliday and Brandon Jennings would have been able to produce much better. American born PGs play against pressure defense as soon as they enter into organized basketball.

BigTicket
08-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Only thing I seem to have overrated is the intelligence of the posters on this board.

Rubio has done everything expected of him, and more, and yet we see these kinds of posts constantly. He's not a scorer and noone ever said he was, so I frankly dont care how many points he scored against China. He is a leader though and started the 4th quarter comeback that allowed Spain to win that game, he's a defender and made the stop that allowed them to get OT, he's a passer and has demonstrated that against China as well as every other teams he's played.

Against the USA he was overmatched physically and it showed, which is definetly an aspect of his game he will need to work on. But then everyone is skinny at 17.

He's not a great shooter either, and that too is something he will need to work on.

I'll still say this though, if my team had a chance at getting him in the draft I would want them to, no matter what # that pick might be. And no I'm not spanish.

Interminator
08-18-2008, 12:29 PM

name me one USA point guard prospect born in 1990 you think could have done as well as rubio did against team USA point guards. just one. then we'll talk.
Very True.

Best Guards 18 & under in the World:
1.Ricky Rubio
2.Anthony Wroten Jr
3.Matias Nocedal
4.Brandon Jennings
5.Brandon Knight

Kebab Stall
08-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Well it's not a good sign that when he finally goes up against these NBA caliber athletes who people claim he is on par or better with, their athleticism clearly overwhelmed him.
Well, he was playing against 12 of the best NBA players on 1 team. When in the NBA, you aren't attacked with that much talent, skill, ability and athleticism at any one time.

His performance against the US should not be held as focal point or a bench mark, for what he could possibly do in the NBA.

Rekindled
08-18-2008, 12:32 PM
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat r u serious :banghead: :banghead:
Name Min FG FG % 3 point % Assist PPG
J. Calderon 105 12/35 34 26 5 6.8
Ricky Rubio 78 7/20 35 33 16 5.0

lilojmayo
08-18-2008, 12:32 PM
I am pretty sure Jrue Holliday and Brandon Jennings would have been able to produce much better. American born PGs play against pressure defense as soon as they enter into organized basketball.

he said born in 1990 particularly 4th quarter of 1990 theres a big difference between somebody born in Jan/Feb of 1990 and somebody born in Nov/Dec 1990

a grade difference

but since 1989-1991 isnt big of a difference

Jennings would have performance alot better against China his Athletisim would overwhelm the Chinese PG, i dont think Jrue Holiday could tho

BigTicket
08-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Luckily for us we will all see how Brandon Jennings matches up against Ricky Rubio prior to the draft as they will be playing against each other twice this year in the euroleague, should clarify matters a lot.

lilojmayo
08-18-2008, 12:35 PM

Jose Average 11.3pts 8.3assist this year idk think rubio numbers would be anywhere close to that

lilojmayo
08-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Luckily for us we will all see how Brandon Jennings matches up against Ricky Rubio prior to the draft as they will be playing against each other twice this year in the euroleague, should clarify matters a lot.

when like can you give me the dates imma try to find a place to stream it give the schedule

BigTicket
08-18-2008, 12:39 PM
when like can you give me the dates imma try to find a place to stream it give the schedule

They're in the same euroleague group, you can find the schedule here:

http://www.euroleague.net/main/schedules/by-group?seasoncode=e2008&groupid=279&phasetypecode=RS

Basically its the 29th of October and 11th of December.

bigboi_baller
08-18-2008, 12:41 PM
WTH? He showed flashes of brilliance in the China game. His defense was amazing and passing was insane, but it all came in spurts. That can be expected when your 17 and playing in the Olympics for the first time on a team filled with guys who've been playing together for a long time and are much older.

Rubio didn't score much because he's got a ton of more experienced scorers in front of him and he isn't much of a scorer anyways. He's a passing PG, he gives up open looks to get the ball to his teammates ala Jason Kidd.

Any game against team USA goes out the door. You can't learn much out of
a game like that. Derrick Rose couldn't do well in summer league, he would have done just as bad if not worse than Rubio against Team USA. And that's a number 1 pick. Team USA is insane and you can't judge anyone in comparison to them.

Rubio has shown that he is legit throughout these olympics. Game by game, he seems to get better and is going to be a highlight machine in a few years. His game is pretty solid but he needs to work on his jumper and stay quicker on his feet on D. Obviously, he also needs to get stronger. But since the boxscore you read said he only scored 1 pt, he must suck, right?

Rekindled
08-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Jose Average 11.3pts 8.3assist this year idk think rubio numbers would be anywhere close to that

lilojmayo
08-18-2008, 12:43 PM
They're in the same euroleague group, you can find the schedule here:

http://www.euroleague.net/main/schedules/by-group?seasoncode=e2008&groupid=279&phasetypecode=RS

Basically its the 29th of October and 11th of December.

wow thanks dude ill try to c some highlights of those games when it happens and the boxscore thats all i need to c

Sharas
08-18-2008, 12:56 PM
he said born in 1990 particularly 4th quarter of 1990 theres a big difference between somebody born in Jan/Feb of 1990 and somebody born in Nov/Dec 1990

a grade difference

but since 1989-1991 isnt big of a difference

Jennings would have performance alot better against China his Athletisim would overwhelm the Chinese PG, i dont think Jrue Holiday could tho

seriously, i can't see jennings doing nearly as well as rubio did against paul, d-will and kidd. maybe it's just me, but i can't. the best competition he's ever been put up against are high school kids, while rubio is playing meaningful minutes with grown up men for third year now.

i'm definitely looking forward to their euroleague clash.

lilojmayo
08-18-2008, 12:58 PM
seriously, i can't see jennings doing nearly as well as rubio did against paul, d-will and kidd. maybe it's just me, but i can't. the best competition he's ever been put up against are high school kids, while rubio is playing meaningful minutes with grown up men for third year now.

i'm definitely looking forward to their euroleague clash.

lets be specific hs kids who are those high school kids #1 pick Derrick Rose he had to guard for the whole game #3 OJ Mayo he has had to guard for the whole game

if you take away rubio olympics

None of those grown up men would be the #1 pick in the NBA draft

southside 101
08-18-2008, 01:05 PM

those r olympic stats u think hell be better if he was in the nba colderon ave 8.3 assist he shoots from 50% from the field around 45% from behind the arc his free throw percentage is in the 90's and this season he didnt get starter minutes how can u even compare them

Sharas
08-18-2008, 01:08 PM
lets be specific hs kids who are those high school kids #1 pick Derrick Rose he had to guard for the whole game #3 OJ Mayo he has had to guard for the whole game

if you take away rubio olympics

None of those grown up men would be the #1 pick in the NBA draft

those are two games. not the whole season. on the whole, rubio's been playing against incomparably tougher competition for the past three years. he stopped playing with his age group three years ago now. he is the youngest player ever to debut in spanish ACB.

and euroleague and spanish ACB are right now much tougher than NCAA on the whole, not to talk about HS basketball.

i might be biased, but again, i can't see jennings being in the same situation against team USA and putting up same performance as rubio did.

danumber88
08-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Im not hyped about this kid, but all i know is he really has good court vision..

watch some of his games

darkofan
08-18-2008, 01:33 PM
The game against the USA was the first time I saw Rubio play.

I read a ton of stuff about this kid and I was cautious, because Darko was overhyped in a similar manner (although Darko was a legitimate prospect who just didn't live up to expectations) and you can't be too careful, although I presumed Rubio was not a headcase since he couldn't be that to play point guard and be a man leader.

What I saw impressed me very much. The poise with which he played against arguably the best defence, team and backcourt on the planet, the way he went for steals and made plays (including that alley oop to Fernandez) in the short spurts of time he was given to was incredible.

He will be smart enough to wait for at least two to three years before coming to the NBA, that is if he is able to resist 5 million $ offers in Europe. In that way he could develop his game, put on some muscle in order to improve strenght and explosiveness and procure a jump shot. Without the later, he can't possibly be a superstar.

But he does dominate a game without scoring points and that's significant.

stewen12
08-18-2008, 01:33 PM
true. i hate when people say that Olympic Play doesnt mean anyhting. We'll it gives us the general idea. He had some good hustle. He has nice game but overated as the next pete maravich. He was playing against the best players in the worst and being defended by some of the best defenders in the world

Lebron23
08-18-2008, 01:37 PM
true. i hate when people say that Olympic Play doesnt mean anyhting. We'll it gives us the general idea. He had some good hustle. He has nice game but overated as the next pete maravich. He was playing against the best players in the worst and being defended by some of the best defenders in the world

Maravich was a dominant scorer, when he was the same age as Ricky Rubio, and i think Rubio need a better training if he want to be a Superstar in the NBA.

Younggrease
08-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Maravich was a dominant scorer, when he was the same age as Ricky Rubio, and i think Rubio need a better training if he want to be a Superstar in the NBA.

its a bad comparison...he doesnt play like Maravich...

Lebron23
08-18-2008, 01:43 PM
its a bad comparison...he doesnt play like Maravich...

The Next Gary Payton because i check his stats in College, and he was already a terrific defender before the Sonics drafted him in the 1990 NBA Draft.

Dasher
08-18-2008, 01:45 PM
He plays like a bigger Tony Parker when he entered the league.

lilojmayo
08-18-2008, 02:07 PM

yeah he does he should wait until he is like 20-21 years to enter his name in the draft he athletically inferior to USA pgs like CP3 i cant wait to c what Jennings does to him i really dont c how rubio is going to contain Brandon Jennings 42in Vertical Jump

BigTicket
08-18-2008, 02:12 PM
yeah he does he should wait until he is like 20-21 years to enter his name in the draft he athletically inferior to USA pgs like CP3 i cant wait to c what Jennings does to him i really dont c how rubio is going to contain Brandon Jennings 42in Vertical Jump

That kind of statement is exactly why I like Ricky Rubio.

I'm sick of hearing about how high a guy can jump, how tall he is, how big his wingspan is, how hard he dunks, how fast he moves etc.
Rubio in many ways is the anti-prospect, he doesnt stand out in any of those ways, he just plays smart, leads his team, focusses on D, and wins games. All the things top prospects usually lack, and exactly what I want for my team if I'm picking.

Maravich was never a good comparison, the guy he reminds me of instead is the one I have as my avatar: John Stockton.

lilojmayo
08-18-2008, 02:22 PM
That kind of statement is exactly why I like Ricky Rubio.

I'm sick of hearing about how high a guy can jump, how tall he is, how big his wingspan is, how hard he dunks, how fast he moves etc.
Rubio in many ways is the anti-prospect, he doesnt stand out in any of those ways, he just plays smart, leads his team, focusses on D, and wins games. All the things top prospects usually lack, and exactly what I want for my team if I'm picking.

Maravich was never a good comparison, the guy he reminds me of instead is the one I have as my avatar: John Stockton.

wow john stockton the more and more i think about it the more and more it makes sense they can both pass very well but dont really do anything spectular they cant jump. I can c rubio ask a stockton best case scenario. PPL kept saying he was Pistol Pete who average 44pts in LSU so i was hella confused when this cat only scored 1pt against China, and doesnt seem to be any type of a scorer. John Stockton i like that

Sroek
08-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Here we go again with ISH members changing their opinions based on what they last saw.

The ability to reason isn't your forte is it?

Pepe
08-18-2008, 03:57 PM
He plays like a bigger Tony Parker when he entered the league.

I think this is an interesting comparison, because Parker couldn't shoot well either when he entered the league and can't jump any higher than Rubio. He was quicker, but also a bit smaller.

The two most important things for Rubio IMO are:
-Improve his overall scoring ability, develop some go-to moves like Parker did with his spin moves, tear drops etc.
-Change the form on his jumpshot, it's horrible.

His defense will be fine, as will his playmaking ability, but he will not be effective without some scoring and shooting ability.

Not looking at best/worst cases, but just at my expectations of most probable, I'd say that he becomes a player of Tony Parker's impact, emphasis on impact and not necessarily playing style.

By the way, Calderon has been mentioned; I don't think people realize how much of a disaster he is on the defensive side of the game. Both seeing him play at Toronto and the NT and looking at 82games.com confirm this. His ineffectiveness on the defensive side is enough to make all the "one of X players to shoot X FG% etc." make rather pointless. He has absolutely nothing on Rubio outside of shooting, which of course is very important and make him the better NBA player right now.

bdreason
08-18-2008, 04:17 PM
People who think he'll be as good as CP3, D-Will, Nash, Bird, and Pistol Pete are all delusional.

Besides that, the kid shows potential. My guess is he turns out to be a Jason Williams type player, minus the fastbreak 3 pnt attempts. :cheers:

The Spanish White Chocolate.

bdreason
08-18-2008, 04:21 PM

You know Stockton could shoot right?

Stockton also played fundamental basketball. He made high percentage plays, and high percentage passes.

From what I've seen of Rubio he can't shoot, and makes a lot of risky passes.

steve
08-18-2008, 04:23 PM
After reading this thread, I'd say that very few people here can objectively judge Rubio.

Dasher
08-18-2008, 04:24 PM
The Spanish White Chocolate.He already exists:
http://www.nba.com/media/espanol/global_sergio_rodriguez300.jpg

The internet has seen this before. If youtube had the penetration that it has now when Sergio was coming up, he would have been a top 5 pick.

Paladin55
08-18-2008, 05:16 PM
What does "we," mean, by the way.

Let the kid play, mature, and work on his game. He looks like he could be special at times, but who knows at this point in his career how good, bad, or disappointing he will be.

My quick analysis:

Sees the court and can handle the ball well, but his half-court speed was a bit slow vs our guards (17 vs NBA Star, or just slow??) at times- This "should" improve as he gets stronger.

Has good form on his shot- motion and release, but needs more arc- something that can be improved through practice.

Has good feet and lateral movement on D, but he is not tenacious and gives up to go for a swipe or steal, letting his man get by him- can be improved through dedication to D. (He will not get significant time on a good team if this does not improve.)

I expect that he plays the game a lot better than the sorry-ass guys who attack him like they know what the F they are talking about.

I think that whenever somebody posts or starts a thread, their team and player loyalty should be visible for everyone to look at. I don't know most of the individual loyalties or specific posters, but so many threads are put out by guys who are not looking for any real debate on the matter.

Most thread like this are from guys who think a favorite player or team of theirs will be challenged/diminished in some way by the player/team they criticize, or by someone who has something against international ball vs U.S. ball, or today's game vs the game of previous eras.

The OP should have been honest about the thread- it should have read:

"I think Rubio sucks.. What do you think?"

..."He was just 17, and you know what I mean..."

loot
08-18-2008, 05:18 PM
The Next Gary Payton because i check his stats in College, and he was already a terrific defender before the Sonics drafted him in the 1990 NBA Draft.

gtfo... really

Trax416
08-18-2008, 05:22 PM
DO you really expect a 17 year old kid, to come out and have a 20-10 game against proven NBA veterns, who happen to be the best basketball team created in the last 8 years?

Give me a break.

The fact is, he has played better in these Olympics then Chris Paul. He obviously isn't as good as Chris Paul yet, but he has shown he can develop into an amazing player.

When they faced Team USA, he was the second best PG on the floor during that game, next to Chris Paul. He outplayed Jose Calderon, Jason Kidd and Deron williams and did it in less minutes then all of them except Kidd.

No 17-18 year old PG is expected to do as much as Rubio. The fact he is the best PG, on Spain(during the Olympics only), which happens to be the second best basketball country in the world right now, says alot.

Give him some time, he will develop.

If you put a 17 year old Deron Williams or Chris Paul, against Team USA, they would have been shut down far worse. In fact, at 17 years old, Deron Williams was getting shut down by the guards on Chris Bosh's former Highschool.

lilojmayo
08-18-2008, 05:29 PM
DO you really expect a 17 year old kid, to come out and have a 20-10 game against proven NBA veterns, who happen to be the best basketball team created in the last 8 years?

Give me a break.

The fact is, he has played better in these Olympics then Chris Paul. He obviously isn't as good as Chris Paul yet, but he has shown he can develop into an amazing player.

When they faced Team USA, he was the second best PG on the floor during that game, next to Chris Paul. He outplayed Jose Calderon, Jason Kidd and Deron williams and did it in less minutes then all of them except Kidd.

No 17-18 year old PG is expected to do as much as Rubio. The fact he is the best PG, on Spain(during the Olympics only), which happens to be the second best basketball country in the world right now, says alot.

Give him some time, he will develop.

If you put a 17 year old Deron Williams or Chris Paul, against Team USA, they would have been shut down far worse. In fact, at 17 years old, Deron Williams was getting shut down by the guards on Chris Bosh's former Highschool.

come on now deron williams was a late bloomer i remember in Illinois he wasnt even the best player on his team Dee Brown was

if you take a 17yr old LBJ he would have killed us

BigTicket
08-18-2008, 05:34 PM
You know Stockton could shoot right?

Stockton also played fundamental basketball. He made high percentage plays, and high percentage passes.

From what I've seen of Rubio he can't shoot, and makes a lot of risky passes.

Ofcourse I know Stockton could shoot, I must have seen the man play a hundred times. He couldnt when he first entered the NBA though, and that was at age 22. So why exactly is Rubio expected to be able to play like prime-Stockton at age 17, when Stockton himself didnt get there until he was 25 ?

Same thing with the risky passes, its an experience thing. When you're young you go for the flashy plays, its not until you mature that you learn to control the pace of the game and make the really good decisions. What I'm seeing with Rubio though is the potential to get there, something I haven't seen in any other PG for a long time. He has all the aspects, the leadership, the intelligence, the control, the defense, what he needs now is time, experience and a lot of hard work. And I think he's in a great position to get just that.

Trax416
08-18-2008, 05:43 PM
come on now deron williams was a late bloomer i remember in Illinois he wasnt even the best player on his team Dee Brown was

if you take a 17yr old LBJ he would have killed us

ROFL A 17 year old LBJ would not have killed Team USA. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

lilojmayo
08-18-2008, 05:44 PM
ROFL A 17 year old LBJ would not have killed Team USA. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ok maybe not kill but would have done better than Ricky tho work with me lets negoiate something here

Trax416
08-18-2008, 05:49 PM
ok maybe not kill but would have done better than Ricky tho work with me lets negoiate something here

I doubt he would have done better then Rubio at 17. He was way better then Rubio when he was 17, but because of the position James played, he would have had a hard time, especially because back then, most of his skills were in his driving to the basket.

Lebron had trouble during the World Championships, and 2004 Olympics. Where Team USA lost. Let alone facing this Team USA when he was 17 years old.

Rubio won't be as good as Lebron. Lebron is a once in a generation player. However saying Rubio is over-rated based off him being 17 years old facing teams that all play higher caliber basketball then that in the NBA is wrong.

Da KO King
08-20-2008, 06:43 AM

Unless your going to make a huge fuss over the one year age difference (1989 vs 1990) I would say Johnny Flynn would have a performance similar to what Ricky Rubio did.

With that said, Rubio isn't over-rated, but he has been over-hyped on ISH. Younggrease is a good guy but his persistent Ricky Rubio related thread have made it so that people are tired of hearing about the kid.

Human Error
08-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Rubio > Mayo

/ end thread

ruslan
08-20-2008, 08:06 AM
overrated as ****

ruslan
08-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Rubio > Mayo

/ end thread

foh id u think that:banghead:

allball
08-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Rubio > Mayo

/ end thread

:roll:

Godfather
08-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Patrick Mills is only 18 and he torched team USA today, with 20 pts 3 steals and 2 assists (0 TO's).

Jonelo
08-20-2008, 01:37 PM
Patrick Mills is only 18 and he torched team USA today, with 20 pts 3 steals and 2 assists (0 TO's).

Very good game , but is 20 ;)

Patrick "Patty" Mills (born 11 August 1988 )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Mills

lilojmayo
08-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Rubio > Mayo

/ end thread

lol

OJ Mayo>Michael Jordan

when its all said and done

and youngrease rubio has done nothing for the ten thousandth time

Thorpesaurous
08-20-2008, 07:34 PM
First, I really like Rubio. I had seen prior to these olympics, as much as I could find on him, and was glad to see he was being given a bigger role than previously expected on the spanish team. He plays what I consider a beautifull game. I've never been enamored with dunks, or even finishes in general, as much as plays to lead to shots so easy that nothing complicated is possible. In fact, if you can squeeze a ball into a spot so tight that nothing but the most basic simple shot possible can be gotten off, that to me is the highlight of highlights.
Everytime I saw Rubio, the same thing jumped to mind. He had to work on his jumper, and he had to get stronger physically. He's never going to be a plus athlete at the NBA level. But at 6-4, he's got long wings, and he's quicker than he looks, with good defensive instincts, so I figured he'd get by.
However, the more I watch him, the less I believe he's going to be great. I don't actually think he's going to get enough stronger for it to ever not be an issue. I know he's young, and it's not like he's small, he is 6-4, but he just doesn't have a great frame. He's narrow through the shoulders, and in the hips, and usually guys who are thin when there young, if they have broad shoulders and hips, have the room to fill out. As for the jumpshot, he doesn't even have the foundation that I can project real improvement. Derrick Rose wasn't a great shooter this past year, but it was easy to see why people were able to overlook it because he had such a strong base to build from. Rubio still shows a need to get his shot up over his head from range, which is something I work on with kids at the middle school level.
Then I start thinking about the comps thrown around about the guy, and the ones I think of. The league built around iso play, which actually minimizes all the things that make Rubio special. It also hurts what he brings to the table defensively. He needs guys to be constantly moving around him, so he can use his gifts to find the seams that only a handfull of people can find. There are only a few players in the league still like that. Jason Kidd is this type of player, but Kidd, while never an elite athlete, is exceptionally strong for a PG, something I'm not sure Rubio will ever be above average in. Kidd could use his strength to force the issue.
Brent Barry at one time brought a similar wiry build to the game, and probably not the same level of instincts, but he was very natural. He however was a plus shooter and athlete for a while.
Jason Williams had a game like that, but it only worked when he was still good enough to demand the ball. That sort of thing is what make Rubio something of a boom or bust prospect in my eyes, because if he turns out good enough, his skill set will shine, but he'll have a harder time functioning as a perephery player.
The guys with bad jumpers who've made it on the wing are a short list too. And most of them are elite level athletes. Guys in that size range that come to mind are Leandro Barbosa, and while Rubio can push tempo, probably not like that, and finishing may be an issue as well.
The guy who's got a creative type of game like that, minust the jumper, and the plus athleticism ... Jamal Tinsley. That's not exactly the type of guy I'd be dying to put in as a cornerstone. Tinsley is 6-3 by the way, so it's not like the size is that off. Obviously the hope is that Rubio won't completely waste his talents with one of the worst attitudes in the league, and I don't think he's got quite the proclivity to dominate the ball that Tinsley does, but then again he's never played in an iso offense. It's not a total knock, Tinsley at his best was a very good player, and a guy who was great to watch. But under no circumstances did he ever seem like a guy who you take in the top five of a draft. Shaun Livingston also brought some similar stuff to the floor as well, both strengths and weaknesses, but did so at 6-7. Unfortunately he brings little track record to go by, although his slight frame did seem to be a problem, and he was already running into issues with guys playing off him because of his jumper.

So is he overrated. I don't think he's overrated as a basketball player, but I'm beginning to think he's overrated as an NBA prospect. His strengths are simply the exact opposite of what the league focuses on. And his weaknesses are rife for exploitation as well. The two big Ifs about his physical stature and jumper could push him into a different player, but I wouldn't be comfortable enough at this point with either to make me want to take him at three. The league just doesn't go after these types of players like this usually, which makes me wonder if they'll know what to do with him once they get him, and if he'll be thrown under the bus when he can't change the face of a franchised in two years. Every guy drafted in the top five in the past decade was either a big, a decidedly better athlete, or a markedly better shooter, with the exception of Livingston. That seems odd.
I hope he does well, I really think the style he brings to the game is something that's sorely missing in the league. But I'm afraid of what his failure could mean. Sadly, if he were taken at 14, he'd have a 16 assist night, be considered a steal, his shortcomings would brushed aside, and his jersey would be all over playgrounds everywhere the next summer. At three that won't happen.

Godfather
08-20-2008, 07:42 PM
First, I really like Rubio. I had seen prior to these olympics, as much as I could find on him, and was glad to see he was being given a bigger role than previously expected on the spanish team. He plays what I consider a beautifull game. I've never been enamored with dunks, or even finishes in general, as much as plays to lead to shots so easy that nothing complicated is possible. In fact, if you can squeeze a ball into a spot so tight that nothing but the most basic simple shot possible can be gotten off, that to me is the highlight of highlights.
Everytime I saw Rubio, the same thing jumped to mind. He had to work on his jumper, and he had to get stronger physically. He's never going to be a plus athlete at the NBA level. But at 6-4, he's got long wings, and he's quicker than he looks, with good defensive instincts, so I figured he'd get by.
However, the more I watch him, the less I believe he's going to be great. I don't actually think he's going to get enough stronger for it to ever not be an issue. I know he's young, and it's not like he's small, he is 6-4, but he just doesn't have a great frame. He's narrow through the shoulders, and in the hips, and usually guys who are thin when there young, if they have broad shoulders and hips, have the room to fill out. As for the jumpshot, he doesn't even have the foundation that I can project real improvement. Derrick Rose wasn't a great shooter this past year, but it was easy to see why people were able to overlook it because he had such a strong base to build from. Rubio still shows a need to get his shot up over his head from range, which is something I work on with kids at the middle school level.
Then I start thinking about the comps thrown around about the guy, and the ones I think of. The league built around iso play, which actually minimizes all the things that make Rubio special. It also hurts what he brings to the table defensively. He needs guys to be constantly moving around him, so he can use his gifts to find the seams that only a handfull of people can find. There are only a few players in the league still like that. Jason Kidd is this type of player, but Kidd, while never an elite athlete, is exceptionally strong for a PG, something I'm not sure Rubio will ever be above average in. Kidd could use his strength to force the issue.
Brent Barry at one time brought a similar wiry build to the game, and probably not the same level of instincts, but he was very natural. He however was a plus shooter and athlete for a while.
Jason Williams had a game like that, but it only worked when he was still good enough to demand the ball. That sort of thing is what make Rubio something of a boom or bust prospect in my eyes, because if he turns out good enough, his skill set will shine, but he'll have a harder time functioning as a perephery player.
The guys with bad jumpers who've made it on the wing are a short list too. And most of them are elite level athletes. Guys in that size range that come to mind are Leandro Barbosa, and while Rubio can push tempo, probably not like that, and finishing may be an issue as well.
The guy who's got a creative type of game like that, minust the jumper, and the plus athleticism ... Jamal Tinsley. That's not exactly the type of guy I'd be dying to put in as a cornerstone. Tinsley is 6-3 by the way, so it's not like the size is that off. Obviously the hope is that Rubio won't completely waste his talents with one of the worst attitudes in the league, and I don't think he's got quite the proclivity to dominate the ball that Tinsley does, but then again he's never played in an iso offense. It's not a total knock, Tinsley at his best was a very good player, and a guy who was great to watch. But under no circumstances did he ever seem like a guy who you take in the top five of a draft. Shaun Livingston also brought some similar stuff to the floor as well, both strengths and weaknesses, but did so at 6-7. Unfortunately he brings little track record to go by, although his slight frame did seem to be a problem, and he was already running into issues with guys playing off him because of his jumper.

So is he overrated. I don't think he's overrated as a basketball player, but I'm beginning to think he's overrated as an NBA prospect. His strengths are simply the exact opposite of what the league focuses on. And his weaknesses are rife for exploitation as well. The two big Ifs about his physical stature and jumper could push him into a different player, but I wouldn't be comfortable enough at this point with either to make me want to take him at three. The league just doesn't go after these types of players like this usually, which makes me wonder if they'll know what to do with him once they get him, and if he'll be thrown under the bus when he can't change the face of a franchised in two years. Every guy drafted in the top five in the past decade was either a big, a decidedly better athlete, or a markedly better shooter, with the exception of Livingston. That seems odd.
I hope he does well, I really think the style he brings to the game is something that's sorely missing in the league. But I'm afraid of what his failure could mean. Sadly, if he were taken at 14, he'd have a 16 assist night, be considered a steal, his shortcomings would brushed aside, and his jersey would be all over playgrounds everywhere the next summer. At three that won't happen.

:applause:

lilojmayo
04-21-2009, 11:32 PM
he is, Brandon Jennings's NBA Career> Ricky Rubio's NBA Career

Jennings has the mindset to be Allen Iverson 2.0 just look at his Oak Hill Days.

steinhart23
04-22-2009, 07:49 AM
does anyone think that NBA will be too fast a game for him? quite like when Yao first came he struggled to deal with the pace of the game.:hammertime:

SuperLopez
04-22-2009, 08:35 AM

to speak like Cowherd of ESPN Radio

well he applies defensive pressure, no it was a mediocre performance
well he can throw alley oops, no it was a mediocre performance

1:Beckham never was a great player
2:Are you joking about Russia?

Unknown
04-22-2009, 08:44 AM
I think it's the guys who are critical of Rubio that overrate him to begin with. I'm on a few forums here and there, mostly as a lurker, and I've never seen an intelligent member actually say anything that sounds like:

"omg lyk hez gonna be soooooo goodd!!!!",

which you seem to think everyone is saying. Honestly, he's a great player. He'll have a great career. You expect that from a high draft pick. He's a very, very talented point guard. He is. But when someone says he's a good player, 'haters' come on acting like we just called him God's second son who's come to save basketball or something.

If you can show me an accredited source where the author uses anything but the usual hype words that every top 3 pick in any draft gets, then you'll have me stumped. But for now, it's my understand that the only people who overrate Rubio are the ones who are and were already critical of him to begin with for whatever reason (xenophobia, perhaps?, yes low-blow).

gpfanz
04-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Did we over-rate Mayo?

brandonislegend
04-22-2009, 03:30 PM
John Wall >>> Brandon Jennings > Ricky Rubio.

Lakas Fan Yo
04-22-2009, 03:33 PM
It's very comical people think Jennings is better than Rubio. Jennings flat out sucks this year. He's a complete scrub in the Euroleague and the Lega A.

Interminator
04-22-2009, 03:40 PM
It's very comical people think Jennings is better than Rubio. Jennings flat out sucks this year. He's a complete scrub in the Euroleague and the Lega A.
Brandon Jennings is the next Marbury.

noob cake
04-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Beckham is the most overrated POS ever. There are at least 10 players better than him in his prime.

SuperLopez
04-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Beckham is the most overrated POS ever. There are at least 10 players better than him in his prime.More a lot more, he was nothing special, cute boy, married with Victoria Adams, great shooter and passer(in those habilities yes, he was in the top ten, not as a player) that's all

Bigsmoke
04-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Ricky Rubio... who the hell is this guy?

i'm about to look him up now

oh the horror
04-22-2009, 09:28 PM
I gaurantee when he comes into the league, and doesnt perform up to people's standards, you'll have people here calling him a "bust" within just halfway into the first season.

LebrickJames84'
08-01-2009, 07:32 PM
yes

Shepseskaf
08-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Sadly, if he were taken at 14, he'd have a 16 assist night, be considered a steal, his shortcomings would brushed aside, and his jersey would be all over playgrounds everywhere the next summer. At three that won't happen.
Great insight! Maybe one day we'll see if this prediction comes true.

Auka
08-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Indeed.

gpfanz
08-01-2009, 10:53 PM

Mayo is also over rated

phoenix18
08-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Have We??? Dont include me in this. I didnt think he was that great, but you know how it is on ISH,"D-Wade said he was a good player and you cant possibly know more than him",etc.

godofgods
08-02-2009, 01:16 AM
More like underrating him. If he was from the hood, people be praising him like black Jesus. And that's already a racist statement because Jesus isn't black.

Brandon Roy
08-02-2009, 02:40 AM
How about we let him play in the regular season for a couple months, and then we judge if he has been overrated? Or maybe we give him even a season to see if he's any good?

As far as how well he played in the Olympics, it's pretty phenomenal for 17 year old. Remember, he was 17 when he was giving Chris Paul and Deron Williams trouble. I do not think his talent has been overrated. Maybe his greatness and effectiveness at this point in time have been overrated, but that remains to be seen.

momo
08-02-2009, 04:43 AM
We will not know 'tel he plays a few years in the NBA.

We know he is nice from Olympic/Euro play, but that is ALL we know.

TryToBeUnbias
08-02-2009, 05:12 AM
More like underrating him. If he was from the hood, people be praising him like black Jesus. And that's already a racist statement because Jesus isn't black. :wtf: random
oh and just to be an ass
http://www.ethnic2020.com/images/Ebay/black-jesus.jpg

Batman
08-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Mayo is also over rated

this

O.J A 6'4Mamba
08-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Mayo is also over rated

He is underrated by a mile. If people would open their eyes they will realize we are looking at the best Combo Guard ever.

twolvesfan
08-02-2009, 08:56 PM
He is underrated by a mile. If people would open their eyes they will realize we are looking at the best Combo Guard ever.
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7278/derp.png (http://img294.imageshack.us/i/derp.png/)

O.J A 6'4Mamba
08-02-2009, 09:11 PM
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7278/derp.png (http://img294.imageshack.us/i/derp.png/)

you just a fact. This season we will show all you doubters.

LebrickJames84'
10-30-2009, 11:11 PM
he is, Brandon Jennings's NBA Career> Ricky Rubio's NBA Career

Jennings has the mindset to be Allen Iverson 2.0 just look at his Oak Hill Days.

this kid told us so Brandon Jennings with a near triple double his debut

Grinder
01-08-2012, 11:56 PM
3 and 1/2 years later, who would have predicted this?

http://i43.tinypic.com/dg5ipz.png

Maniak
01-09-2012, 12:02 AM
It's hard to predict if a coach won't like a player and never give him minutes, and said player never gets traded.

KBryant24
01-09-2012, 12:13 AM
I talked so much trash on Rubio every since he got drafted so high.
I hated how he wanted to stay in his trashy euroleague and kinda snubbed minny.
but I watched all of minnys first 6 games on the free league pass.
Rubio is a legit PG
he is a PURE pass first PG.
and now I love his game

skan72
01-09-2012, 01:31 AM

This right hurr. I don't think we've overrated him. He has a long way to go, but we forget he is still young and this is his first season and he's only played something like 8 games so far. Frankly, it's hard to tell either way if we've under/overrated him because we just don't know yet. If he keeps getting minutes, keeps his level of play up, and keeps improving, sky may be the limit.

RedBlackAttack
01-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Actually, I think it went from him being overrated initially to being underrated after he was drafted and in the ensuing years when he played in Europe to now being overrated again.

I just saw a thread making an argument that he is already a Top 10 point guard in the league today and he has yet to even start a single game in the NBA.

Purch
01-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Actually, I think it went from him being overrated initially to being underrated after he was drafted and in the ensuing years when he played in Europe to now being overrated again.

I just saw a thread making an argument that he is already a Top 10 point guard in the league today and he has yet to even start a single game in the NBA.
Nah. I don't see any more overreaction threads than I saw over John Wall last season.

Either way. Not starting really doesn't mean anything as a rookie under a coach like Adelman. If he was on any other team that isn't coach by guys like Adelman,Pop,Phil, Larry Brown ext he'd be a starter from day one great coaches don't just start you because you're a high draft pick. Same thing with D-Will

chains5000
01-09-2012, 12:09 PM
3 and 1/2 years later, who would have predicted this?

http://i43.tinypic.com/dg5ipz.png
lol