PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Mock Draft

monthh
08-24-2008, 04:07 PM
I know there are some other threads with mock drafts in them, but this is the slow part of the season, so why not try to create some new debate? This draft includes almost everyone that I think should/would enter their name. The teams are based roughly on where I think they will finish this season. I did include the picks that have been traded, which of course will change.

1. Sacramento-Ricky Rubio-Beno Udrih is a solid player, but Rubio is the future star of this draft. I don't think many teams would pass on Rubio, but after picking up young frontcourt players like Jason Thompson, Spencer Hawes, Donte Greene, and Sheldon Williams the Kings need to get Kevin Martin help in the backcourt, making this an even more obvious pick.

2. Oklahoma City-Blake Griffin-As close to a lock for OKC as Rubio at #1. OKC needs to bring the fans in and have a good start, but Griffin is a guy the fans will know and while he probably won't be a star, he provides a good interior option for Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.

3. Memphis-Hasheem Thabeet-This teams has focused on building their perimeter with Rudy Gay, O.J. Mayo, Mike Conley, and the trade of Pau Gasol. They have some decent pieces inside, but a defensive wall in the middle in Thabeet will help them a lot.

4. Minnesota-Demar DeRozan-Basically traded a similar player to DeRozan in O.J. Mayo to get Al Jefferson some help inside. With Rashad McCants possibly on the outside already, and Mike Miller likely to look to join a winner, DeRozan is a great pick to help their guard situation.

5. New York-B.J. Mullens-Eddy Curry and Zach Randolph are probably not going to last that long in New York and a big young athlete like Mullens makes some sense. I think a trade is of course very possible for this team, but if they were to keep the pick, they can't go wrong with picking up Mullens at 5.

6. Charlotte-Cole Aldrich-This team has great talent, but just can't turn that into wins. The Bobcats are hoping legit centers like Thabeet and Mullens are on the board here, but with them gone they take a reach on Aldrich to help Emeka Okafor in the post.

7. Milwaukee-Brandon Jennings-The Bucks would love to add some legit size to help out Andrew Bogut, but with most SF on the board, the Bucks hope to give their team a shot in the arm with a potential star to join Michael Redd in the backcourt.

8. Indiana-Austin Daye-Hoping to get a center to be the replacement to Jeff Foster, but nothing is left the board worth taking this high. The Pacers have a lot of depth at forward, but Daye gives them some versatility with Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy.

9. New Jersey-Damion James-Bobby Simmons, Jarvis Hayes, and Trenton Hassell don't exactly strike fear in their opponents, but James gives them strength in their somewhat soft frontcourt.

10. L.A. Clippers-James Harden-Despite drafting Eric Gordon last year, Harden is too much to pass up at this point. With Baron Davis this team will have a really nice guard rotation.

11. Atlanta-Chase Budinger-A step back as they didn't improve much in the offseason. Budinger helps them replace what Josh Childress brought to the team and they look to bounce back and regain their place in the playoffs.

12. Chicago-Jrue Holiday-The Bulls take some look at big men like Hansbrough and Patterson to solidfy their frontcourt, but the idea of a Rose/Holiday backcourt is too much to pass up. This pick officially ends the decent era Ben Gordon and Kirk Hinrich had.

13. Denver-Darren Collison-As they continue to lose ground the West the Nuggets want to re-tool with players that will continue to win games. Collison is as experienced as any college player since Shane Battier and will help them as they probably move on from the Carmelo/AI experiment.

14. Golden State-Stephen Curry-This team loves scoring and Curry will make this even more dangerous from the outside. He is a little like Monta Ellis who they have locked up long-term, but the Warriors want to score in waves and Curry will help them do that.

15. Portland-Tyler Hansbrough-This team has stockpiled young athletes, but at some point they need to look to either trade out of the draft to get some vets or pick a guy like Hansbrough that will be solid and not take the ball out of the hands of their stars.

16. Minnesota from Miami-Al-Faroug Aminu-After picking DeRozan with their first pick, the T-Wolves continue to look for young stars with Aminu likely replacing Corey Brewer as their future at SF.

17. Dallas-Patrick Patterson-The Mavs are looking to get some big men to help out Dirk Nowitzki inside and while Patterson is a bit undersized, he brings good talent to the table as they hope to regain their spot at the top the Western Conference.

18. Washington-James Anderson-This team knows how much injuries can hurt your season, and Anderson is the best player availible and may even be able to replace one of their weakest links, DeShawn Stevenson.

19. Utah from Philadelphia-Earl Clark-Clark is a guy who can do a lot of things on the court which is something the Jazz look for. Jerry Sloan doesn't like to play rookies much anyway so expect Clark to sit the bench for a year and emerge with a better shot and more fundamental base to go with his athletic ability.

20. Toronto-Victor Claver-The Raptors continue to look overseas and the 6-10 Claver is a great addition to a frontcourt full of 6-11 and 7-0 players.

21. Cleveland-John Riek-This really won't help them keep LeBron James from leaving when he hits the market, but Riek could be a nice backup center and potential replacement for Zadrunas Ilgauskas.

22. Orlando-A.J. Ogilvy-The Magic have plenty of size and defense behind Howard, but Ogilvy gives them a potential bench scorer so Howard doesn't have to do some much.

23. Philadelphia from Utah-Tyler Smith-Smith gives them another player who can do a lot of things on the court as well as some depth behind Thaddeius Young at SF and the ability to have Young continue to play some inside.

24. Oklahoma City via San Antonio-Ty Lawson-With their second pick in the draft OKC grabs a guy that will keep a fast pace off the bench and gives them a little more offensive oriented player behind Russell Westbrook.

25. Phoenix-Derrick Brown-As Grant Hill gets older and Boris Diaw always in trade talks, Brown gives them some youth and flexability for the future.

26. Detroit-Lester Hudson-The Pistons will need a lot of help as they try to win another Championship with this core and Hudson gives them another scoring punch in the backcourt.

27. Houston-Jerome Jordan-The Rockets really don't need a lot of help in the draft, but picking a legit center is a must if they hope to keep Yao fresh and not run him into the ground before he is 30.

28. New Orleans-Gerald Henderson-The Hornets want to stay on top of the NBA and while Morris Peterson, James Posey, Mike James, and Rasual Butler are solid vets, a young athlete like Henderson makes sense to help keep their edge over the next few seasons.

29. L.A. Lakers-Jordan Hill-The Lakers know better than most teams how much injuries can ruin your chances and while they would prefer a center, Hill is a solid pick to give them some depth in case they need it.

30. Minnesota via Boston-Nick Calathes-The Wolves could go in any direction with this pick, but Calathes gives them another big guard with legit PG skills.

Buffalobraves
08-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Can blake griffin run? Otherwise I think OKC would like Thabeet.

monthh
08-24-2008, 08:22 PM
When you ask if he can run, do you mean is he athletic? He isn't the fastest guy, but he is every bit as athletic as Kevin Durant or Michael Beasley, but with more strength. On youtube there is a good video of him getting back on D during a Memphis fastbreak where he blocks a Derrick Rose shot. When you count his strength he has got to be one of the more athletic big men that will be in this draft. Compared to Thabeet he wins in any way you would measure athletic ability, but of course Thabeet is 7-3 so that has to be taken into account.

But the thing that would really make him a lock is that he is from Oklahoma. They have already brought in Desmond Mason to help fill the seats, and he is barely a starter quality player. If they have a shot at Griffin, they would take him because he might just be neck and neck with Durant for the face of the franchise.

Buffalobraves
08-24-2008, 09:24 PM
I've never really seen him play, I've seen Thabeet play a lot though I think they might take him still I just like his style of play on the offense.

But if they drop to the #1 pick I think they take Rubio even with the need for a center, hes just too good to pass.

Posterize246
08-24-2008, 09:41 PM
I think you messed up the Utah/Philly picks. Philly has their own 1st round pick, Utah sent theirs to us, and then we sent that pick to Minnesota. So one of those picks should be "Minnesota via Philly/Utah". In other words, Minnesota has Utah's first round pick.

Posterize246
08-24-2008, 09:44 PM
A good comparison for Griffin is Carlos Boozer. A little more athletic, but both are good in the low post, can hit the midrange J, and are undersized.

Buffalobraves
08-25-2008, 11:36 AM
A good comparison for Griffin is Carlos Boozer. A little more athletic, but both are good in the low post, can hit the midrange J, and are undersized.
I think Segre Ibaka's devolopment will be big in deciding who to draft.
If Ibaka devolops well they can take Griffin.

If Ibaka dosen't devolp well they will take Thabeet, in need of a big.

Buffalobraves
08-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Ty Lawson would be a steal for us with our 2nd first round pick.

monthh
08-26-2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Posterize. I think Boozer is an okay comparison, but Boozer had such great post moves in college. Griffin of course was just a freshman, but I think he has some work to do. I really don't know who to compare him to. I think Boozer with some Jamison and Harrington or something.

Buffalo, I still think Thabeet is a huge risk even at 3. I am really high on him as well, but he is a huge risk. I can't see them picking up another center so high when they have already struck out so many times. I think it is more likely they select Olgivy or another center with their second pick if they want a center.

CaptainOwlClub
08-26-2008, 01:41 AM
pretty good overall i think

still have bj mullens & pattrick patterson highly overrated as well as sadly admitting i think you have both the ucla gaurds a little overrated as well- holliday will play 2 years imo

MOSTLY to not have james johnson is a shame

Posterize246
08-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Thabeet won't reach the top 8. After that he's free game. He's a terriffic shotblocker but his post game has been slow to progress. People are intrigued by his 7'3" height but the guy is only 263 lbs. He needs to add a good 25 lbs to that frame AT LEAST in these next 2 years.

Maybe we're looking at a taller version of Samuel Dalembert? He can't jump like Sammy, but he can run the floor like him. Great shotblocker, good rebounder, shoots high percentage shots. Would Dalembert be worth a top 3 pick? Idk. The Sonics have loaded up on so many project bigs...

Swift (he's now a FA)
Johan Petro
Mouhamed Sene

And this year drafted Devon Hardin (2nd round) and Ibaka (6'11"). If the Sonics are smart they'd go after a free agent big who can help them...

Luis Scola
Udonis Haslem
Lamarcus Aldridge
Brad Miller
Jermaine O'Neal
Carlos Boozer
Mehmet Okur

or wait until 2010 and go after...

Al Horford
Dirk Nowitzki
Yao Ming
Brandan Wright
Troy Murphy
Pau Gasol
Tyson Chandler
Eddy Curry
Zach Randolph
Samuel Dalembert
Amare Stoudemire
Greg Oden
Spencer Hawes
Chris Bosh

Time to get over the idea of drafting a big and try signing/trading for one.

disco
08-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Listing Aldrich that high is quite interesting. I think he can be a great college player, but do you see something I don't? To me he seems like a poor man's Tyler Hansbrough, and even if he develops ends up putting together figures like 18/10 for Kansas, he doesn't seem like an NBA type to me. Maybe a boarderline first rounder if everything goes right, but a lottery pick? Please explain! I've only seen him play last year, but did he e.g. do someothing in HS that makes you think he can be that good NBA prospect?

Buffalobraves
08-26-2008, 11:41 AM
If they get Oden in 2010 and they have Durant that would be sweet.

veilside23
08-26-2008, 02:01 PM
i think if marc gasol pans out well and the iranian guy .. memphis should package darko plus their pick to get a good pf ... who knows seatlle might pass on griffin so i think memphis should get griffin.. memphis is one of the teams to watch out for because their core is young just like portland the only difference is pritchard and of course paul allen...

and i really like the idea of putting hansbrough along side oden... i think they would compliment each other but we will see how oden and aldridge plays together..

Buffalobraves
08-26-2008, 02:03 PM
i think if marc gasol pans out well and the iranian guy .. memphis should package darko plus their pick to get a good pf ... who knows seatlle might pass on griffin so i think memphis should get griffin.. memphis is one of the teams to watch out for because their core is young just like portland the only difference is pritchard and of course paul allen...

and i really like the idea of putting hansbrough along side oden... i think they would compliment each other but we will see how oden and aldridge plays together..
Yeah Portland, Memphis, and Oklahoma City are all teams of the future.

monthh
08-26-2008, 02:08 PM
CaptainOwl, I'm not sure what to think of Mullens. I think he has huge upside and with the lack of great centers in this draft, he could get picked really high. Of course we have a whole season to see what he can do. I think it is the same way with Patterson. I'm not a fan, and actually have him a lot lower than a lot of people, but even if a lot of guys enter early, there aren't that many big men. As for Johnson, I think he could be a huge riser. I have said that before. But right now I think he is on the 1st round bubble. If he can improve his shooting and handle, I think he will move way up. But right now he was a pretty good player on an average team.

Posterize, Thabeet's offense has made huge strides. He could barely make a layup two years ago, now he has some good post moves and will actually be a part of the offense this season. I agree OKC needs to pass on him, and I think Tabeet is going anywhere from 3 to 10 right now, but I think Memphis really needs someone inside to build around. It may be a little soon to take Thabeet, but with Conley, Mayo, and Gay they really don't need Harden, DeRozan, or Daye.

Disco, I think Aldrich is a lot better than his playing time last season. That was a veterain team inside that was going for a championship. I like the way Aldrich rebounds and I think he is much more talented on offense than they let him show. He is probably a legit 6-10 and just as athletic as Hansbrough which is why I think he is a better prospect. I also think at the same age he will show he has a little more talent. I love Hansbrough and think he will make a decent role player in the NBA, but Aldrich has so much more upside. Maybe I am overrating him because he is an unknown, but I just really liked what I saw in limited minutes. I'm not positive, but I think Aldrich is the same age as his class while Hansbrough has always been older than his class, which of course hurts his draft stock.

Posterize246
08-26-2008, 05:13 PM
CaptainOwl, I'm not sure what to think of Mullens. I think he has huge upside and with the lack of great centers in this draft, he could get picked really high. Of course we have a whole season to see what he can do. I think it is the same way with Patterson. I'm not a fan, and actually have him a lot lower than a lot of people, but even if a lot of guys enter early, there aren't that many big men. As for Johnson, I think he could be a huge riser. I have said that before. But right now I think he is on the 1st round bubble. If he can improve his shooting and handle, I think he will move way up. But right now he was a pretty good player on an average team.

Posterize, Thabeet's offense has made huge strides. He could barely make a layup two years ago, now he has some good post moves and will actually be a part of the offense this season. I agree OKC needs to pass on him, and I think Tabeet is going anywhere from 3 to 10 right now, but I think Memphis really needs someone inside to build around. It may be a little soon to take Thabeet, but with Conley, Mayo, and Gay they really don't need Harden, DeRozan, or Daye.

Disco, I think Aldrich is a lot better than his playing time last season. That was a veterain team inside that was going for a championship. I like the way Aldrich rebounds and I think he is much more talented on offense than they let him show. He is probably a legit 6-10 and just as athletic as Hansbrough which is why I think he is a better prospect. I also think at the same age he will show he has a little more talent. I love Hansbrough and think he will make a decent role player in the NBA, but Aldrich has so much more upside. Maybe I am overrating him because he is an unknown, but I just really liked what I saw in limited minutes. I'm not positive, but I think Aldrich is the same age as his class while Hansbrough has always been older than his class, which of course hurts his draft stock.
"Made tremendous strides" is still different from being a good post player. He's gone from poor to average. I still don't know how his skinny frame will hold up in the post in the nba.

veilside23
08-26-2008, 07:54 PM

I agree they dont need harden derozan or daye . thats why i think if marc gasol pans out and the iranian guy they wont need thabeet as well .. so memphis might use the pick to trade it

Buffalobraves
08-26-2008, 08:00 PM
I don't much about the players in the upcoming college season can someone give me a top 10 PF and a top 10 C ranking?

veilside23
08-26-2008, 08:19 PM
top 3 centers
mullens
thabeet
ogilvy

top 3 pf
griffin
clark/patterson
hansbrough

this year's draft is kinda weak when it comes to bigs.. lots of pg and sg though

monthh
08-27-2008, 02:28 AM
Posterize, I was commenting on your comment that his offense has been slow to progress. It did at first, but he made huge strides last year. He wasn't good, and I never said he was, but at times he was almost dominate inside. As for his size, he isn't that much worse off than Mullens or Ogilvy.

Centers:
1. Hasheem Thabeet-UConn
2. BJ Mullens-Ohio State
3. Cole Aldrich-Kansas (Will play PF as well)
4. AJ Oglivy-Vanderbilt
5. Jerome Jordan-Tulsa
6. Conner Atchley-Texas (PF/C type of guy)
7. Toney Woods-Wake Forset (Size holds him back some)
8. Kenny George-UNC Ashville (No joke)
9. Greg Monroe-Georgetown (More of a PF, but putting him here to fill up spots)
10. Russell Hicks-Florida International

Power Forwards:

1. Blake Griffin-Oklahoma
2. Tyler Hansbrough-UNC
3. Pattrick Patterson-Kentucky
4. Jordan Hill-Arizona
5. Jeff Pendergraph-Arizona State
6. Josh Heytvelt-Gonzaga
7. Jon Brockman-Washington (If only he was 2 inches taller)
8. Gani Lawal-George Tech
9. Taj Gibson-USC
10. Deon Thompson-UNC

After the top 5 I find this list really hard. There are even a few more guys would would have liked to get in there.

This years realy strength is SF. Last year had very few but this year you could have as many as 10 taken in the 1st round. I doubt that happens, but this is a very strong SF class.

Veilside, I agree with what you are saying, but Thabeet is a rare kind of player. Gasol might be a decent backup, and I don't know anything about the Iranian guy, but Thabeet could be a Marcus Camby type. Thabeet will be a guy that really changes the game like Camby or even Mutombo. I think taking Gasol over Thabeet would be like taking Orberto over Camby. If they did choose to look somewhere else I think Daye makes the most sense. Daye wouldn't be the perfect PF, but I think he could be like Rashard Lewis or something. They could go with a smallish team with Gay and Daye in the frontcourt.

Buffalobraves
08-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Posterize, I was commenting on your comment that his offense has been slow to progress. It did at first, but he made huge strides last year. He wasn't good, and I never said he was, but at times he was almost dominate inside. As for his size, he isn't that much worse off than Mullens or Ogilvy.

Centers:
1. Hasheem Thabeet-UConn
2. BJ Mullens-Ohio State
4. AJ Oglivy-Vanderbilt
5. Jerome Jordan-Tulsa

Power Forwards:

2. Tyler Hansbrough-UNC
4. Jordan Hill-Arizona
6. Josh Heytvelt-Gonzaga
9. Taj Gibson-USC
10. Deon Thompson-UNC

After the top 5 I find this list really hard. There are even a few more guys would would have liked to get in there.

This years realy strength is SF. Last year had very few but this year you could have as many as 10 taken in the 1st round. I doubt that happens, but this is a very strong SF class.

I didn't know Blake Griffin went to Oklahoma, if he has a good season then they woul probably take him. Even with 10 great SF's in the draft we really dont need one, we have Jeff Green. How are the SG's in this draft [I'm really impressed at how much you know about this years class monthh]

Blackeagle
08-27-2008, 04:35 PM
the 2 big time pure shooting guards in next year's draft are likely derozan and harden... stephen curry a notch below those guys, though if he has a growth spurt he's suddenly rip hamilton with better range

there are also a couple really talented combo guys out there like jrue holiday, tyreke evans, possibly lester hudson... nick calathes is talented, but I don't think he's athletic enough

and of course there are 1 or 2 guys who will come out of no where

disco
08-28-2008, 04:28 AM
the 2 big time pure shooting guards in next year's draft are likely derozan and harden... stephen curry a notch below those guys, though if he has a growth spurt he's suddenly rip hamilton with better range

there are also a couple really talented combo guys out there like jrue holiday, tyreke evans, possibly lester hudson... nick calathes is talented, but I don't think he's athletic enough

and of course there are 1 or 2 guys who will come out of no where

Budinger too, although he's more of a SF in college.

These aren't considered as lottery/1st rd talent at the moment, but I think some of them could be in April: Anderson (Oklahoma St),McNeal (Marquette), Williams (Louisville), Shipp (UCLA), Moore (Purdue), Vaden (UAB), Prince (Tennessee), Harris (Michigan). And also Holiday (UCLA) and Warren (Oklahoma) even though there are more of combo guards and will be PG in NBA. Vasquez (Maryland), but he's more of a PG too.

But in general, apart from DeRozan and Harden that you mentioned, not very deep class in terms of pure SG's. But everything can - and will - change in a few months.

veilside23
08-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Veilside, I agree with what you are saying, but Thabeet is a rare kind of player. Gasol might be a decent backup, and I don't know anything about the Iranian guy, but Thabeet could be a Marcus Camby type. Thabeet will be a guy that really changes the game like Camby or even Mutombo. I think taking Gasol over Thabeet would be like taking Orberto over Camby. If they did choose to look somewhere else I think Daye makes the most sense. Daye wouldn't be the perfect PF, but I think he could be like Rashard Lewis or something. They could go with a smallish team with Gay and Daye in the frontcourt.

yeah the list is really hard :D thats why i only named 3 or 4 hahahaha

Well problem is memphis will be stacked with bigs but they definitely need a good pf.. it might be darell arthur but we can never tell. Memphis right now has like 3 centers young centers. i agree thabeet is really somekinda special however what if marc gasol turns out to be better than Pau? well it all boils down to what will happen this season but if none of the 3 centers in memphis steps it up .. i agree thabeet will be drafted by memphis if ever they have the chance to do so.

Grizzled Mayo
08-28-2008, 12:23 PM
No one here thinks that mullens is a lock for a top three pick? Man you cats is crazy

CaptainOwlClub
08-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Centers:
1. Hasheem Thabeet-UConn
2. BJ Mullens-Ohio State
4. AJ Oglivy-Vanderbilt
5. Jerome Jordan-Tulsa

Power Forwards:

2. Tyler Hansbrough-UNC
4. Jordan Hill-Arizona
6. Josh Heytvelt-Gonzaga
9. Taj Gibson-USC
10. Deon Thompson-UNC

Daye wouldn't be the perfect PF, but I think he could be like Rashard Lewis or something. They could go with a smallish team with Gay and Daye in the frontcourt.

daye's future in the nba IS as a power foreward- i cant see how he isnt placed in (at worst) the #2 pf spot- sure he needs size & strength added but pf is the spot he has the highest potenetial at- daye will breakout this season if his health is ok (hearing some bad things around the poker table about daye's knee?)

what a weak weak group of pf's & c's- the arizona guy is not an nba player, and i am still very uncomfortable w your views on patterson & mullins- is thabeet really the most for sure thing right now? their better be some foreign talent at c & pf????

pf-
-daye gonzaga 6-11- highest ceiling of anybody in this draft
-griffin oklahoma 6-9- imo has a better chance of playing both sf/pf than daye
-monroe georgetown 6-10- all the physical tools needed for the nba pf
-handsborogh nc 6-8- a more skilled najera? taken outside of lottery will probobly turn into a decent pick
-gordon 6-9 ucla- day 1 will be a much better player than either arizona schools f's

i would like to see your sf list- monthh you do a good job, only picking on your rankings because i think you can take it

Posterize246
08-29-2008, 12:45 PM
daye will breakout this season if his health is ok (hearing some bad things around the poker table about daye's knee?)

It was first reported he had an ACL tear in July and that he'd be out 6-10 months. Turned out he had a bone bruise and a very minor tear and would be out 3-4 weeks. That's why you always get a 2nd opinion:cheers:

If Daye reaches his "potential" (I really hate that word), he could be really good. If not, we're looking at another Jared Jeffries.

CaptainOwlClub
08-30-2008, 11:45 AM
I think Segre Ibaka's devolopment will be big in deciding who to draft.
If Ibaka devolops well they can take Griffin.

If Ibaka dosen't devolp well they will take Thabeet, in need of a big.

that is funny- if ibaka (the pf) develops you take another pf?- if your pf doesnt develop you go c?? or are you thinking ibaka is a c?

monthh- i hope denver doesnt pass on curry for collison- curry will just be a much better pro- i love collison and think he will reach his 4th final 4, but curry will be an impact player imo, weather his role is 6th man or a starting pg

how do you all compare calathes from florida to ricky rubio athletically?

Buffalobraves
08-30-2008, 12:13 PM
that is funny- if ibaka (the pf) develops you take another pf?- if your pf doesnt develop you go c?? or are you thinking ibaka is a c?

monthh- i hope denver doesnt pass on curry for collison- curry will just be a much better pro- i love collison and think he will reach his 4th final 4, but curry will be an impact player imo, weather his role is 6th man or a starting pg

how do you all compare calathes from florida to ricky rubio athletically?
Ibaka can play either posisiton. He is 6' 10' but he jumps so hes bigger then most big men. He needs to bulk up though.

Buffalobraves
08-30-2008, 12:23 PM

Serge Ibaka: 24th overall pick in the 2008 draft, chosen by Oklahoma City.

http://www.zonabasket.es/wp-content/uploads/serge-ibaka-en-vestuario-r-jordi-cotrina.jpg

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2008/04/16/evansx.jpg

http://www.lhesport.com/cb/CBLH-Serge%20Ibaka%20copia.jpg

Birthday:9/18/1989
NBA Position:PF/C
Class:N/A
Ht:6-10
Wt:220
Int Team:LHospitalet
Hometown:Congo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-6opHOfJJE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pOqfoxfeOQ&feature=related

Looks like he can play Center to me. He actually looks strong in the picture with his shirt off.

monthh
09-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Veilside, I agree that Memphis has a lot of bigs. Maybe Arthur becomes a really good PF. Warrick is an average PF, Darko is average, and Gasol may be decent. They have a lot of guys, but are any of those starters on good teams? If Marc ends up better than Pau then they don't go with a C, or if Arthur is a top player in his class then they don't go with a PG, but they are also in the playoffs and picking much lower. You are right though, everything will depend on how all these bigs pan out.

CaptainOwl, I consider Daye to be a SF, and that is why he wasn't in my ranking. I think Daye will end up being able to play some PF assuming he packs on some pounds, but I think at 6-10 and with that shot you want him being a more of a SF. He is so full of potential, but he has a few holes that he needs to work on. I think of him as like an offensive version of what Josh Smith is on defense. Smith is more of a SF, but plays PF because that is what the Hawks need him to do. Daye should become a very good combo-forward if he reaches his potential.

I also want to see Curry play the point before I call him a true PG. My thinking was that Denver has gone with a mix of AI and Carter so a true point like Collison who can step in right away (which is important for a team looking to win right now) and has the skillset of a PG is what they would look for. Curry had one of the best points in the country the last couple years and some may say Curry was the reason Richards was so good, but I think they just fit together really well. If Curry takes over the point full-time this year, we will see how he handles running a team. I'm not saying he can't run a team, we just haven't seen it while we have seen Collison do it over and over. Curry is the guy who could move way up (some people already see him this high) to the lottery or fall into the 2nd round depending on how he does running the point.

I really like Calathes, but he isn't as athletic as Rubio. Rubio is exactly Chris Paul, but he is solid and is really quick and crafty with the ball. I don't think he needs to a top notch athlete, but he is good enough for an NBA point. Calathas isn't nearly as athletic as the rest of the top guards. I think he is already solid in so many aspects with room to improve as a shooter (like Rubio). Of course bing 6-5 gives him a big advantage, but I'm not sure if he will be better than someone like Reece Gaines or is he can overcome his quickness and size (strength wise) he could be a pretty decent player. Athletically I think Rubio is above average and it won't hold him back, with Calathas I think it will be a major issue and will probably keep him from being a really great point because he has the tools to be a good starting PG.

Buffalo, I will put up my other position rankings sometime soon.

monthh
09-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Small Forwards:
1. Austin Daye-Gonzaga
2. Damion James-Texas (could fall hard)
3. Al-Faroug Aminu-Arizona
4. Earl Clark-Louisville
5. Tyler Smith-Tennessee
6. Derrick Brown-Xavier
7. James Johnson-Wake Forest
8. Raymar Morgan-Michingan State
9. Kyle Singler-Duke
10. Devin Ebanks-West Virginia

Shooting Guards:
1. Demar DeRozan-USC
2. James Harden-Arizona State
3. Chase Budinger-Arizona
4. Jrue Holiday-UCLA
5. James Anderson-Oklahoma State
6. Lester Hudson-Tennessee-Martin
7. Gerald Henderson-Duke
8. Wayne Ellington-UNC
9. Tyreke Evans-Memphis
10. Scotty Hopson-Tennessee

Point Gaurds:
1. Darren Collison-UCLA
2. Stephen Curry-Davidson
3. Ty Lawson-UNC
4. Nick Calathas-Florida
5. Tyrese Rice-Boston College
6. Grievis Vasquez-Maryland
7. Eric Maynor-VCU
8. AJ Price-UConn
9. Deonta Vaughn-Cincinnati
10. Malcom Lee-UCLA

PG this year are really closely clumped. I think after the top like 6 or 7 (who I think are at least 2nd round picks right now) there is a long list of guys that are right there in Scottie Reynolds, Serron Collins, Curtis Jerrells, Jeremy Pargo, Jerel McNeal, Johnny Flynn, Manny Harris, and more. I would call all of these guys bubble 2nd rounders.

eprizzle14
09-04-2008, 06:32 PM
-gordon 6-9 ucla- day 1 will be a much better player than either arizona schools f's

Drew Mother effin Gordon. This guy is a beast. Plays like A Maxiell type, I definatly think he's gonna turn a lot of heads at UCLA. Offensively in the post he's a bit unpolished but dude is a freak. Imagine if a guy like that had the skill set of Kevin Love... I dont know what to think. Big Ups for givin this kid some recognition though

Posterize246
09-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Drew Mother effin Gordon. This guy is a beast. Plays like A Maxiell type, I definatly think he's gonna turn a lot of heads at UCLA. Offensively in the post he's a bit unpolished but dude is a freak. Imagine if a guy like that had the skill set of Kevin Love... I dont know what to think. Big Ups for givin this kid some recognition though
You want Maxiell's clone? Look right to his alma mater, Cincinatti. Yancy Gates, 6'8" 250, #22 player in the class. Dude is a beast on the boards and a Kenyon Martin-like power dunker.

Blackeagle
09-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Point Gaurds:
1. Darren Collison-UCLA
3. Ty Lawson-UNC
4. Nick Calathas-Florida
7. Eric Maynor-VCU
8. AJ Price-UConn
10. Malcom Lee-UCLA

PG this year are really closely clumped. I think after the top like 6 or 7 (who I think are at least 2nd round picks right now) there is a long list of guys that are right there in Scottie Reynolds, Serron Collins, Curtis Jerrells, Jeremy Pargo, Jerel McNeal, Johnny Flynn, Manny Harris, and more. I would call all of these guys bubble 2nd rounders.

I'd move Johnny Flynn up to at least 9, probably higher if you're looking at pro potential

and I love the way Scottie Reynolds plays. He made that 12-5 upset an easy pick in last year's tourney. I don't know that based on pro potential you can move him up too high, but if I need to win 1 game in the tourney in march, he's competing for #1 on my list of point guards.

eprizzle14
09-05-2008, 02:28 PM
You want Maxiell's clone? Look right to his alma mater, Cincinatti. Yancy Gates, 6'8" 250, #22 player in the class. Dude is a beast on the boards and a Kenyon Martin-like power dunker.
Yeaa Gates is a good prospect

but im rooting for Gordon because I watched him play the last 3 years and hes just a game changer who may be starting for the Bruins next year if not a big rotational player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvNVS7dBvDs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SVPFTOv2pI&feature=related

only time will tell who will be more successful.

monthh
09-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Blackeagle, I'll admit I really haven't seen Flynn much, but to me he is undersized and seemed like a bit of a chucker. His shooting numbers look pretty good, but I just didn't like what I saw the couple times I saw him. Maybe that will change this year and he could move up.

Buffalobraves
09-14-2008, 11:04 AM
I'd move Johnny Flynn up to at least 9, probably higher if you're looking at pro potential

and I love the way Scottie Reynolds plays. He made that 12-5 upset an easy pick in last year's tourney. I don't know that based on pro potential you can move him up too high, but if I need to win 1 game in the tourney in march, he's competing for #1 on my list of point guards.
Agree with moving up Flynn.

Posterize246
09-16-2008, 01:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3589671

ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- UNC Asheville's Kenny George, at 7-foot-7 the nation's tallest college basketball player, might not play this season because of a foot injury.

George had two surgical procedures on an infected right foot and remains in a Chicago hospital, the school said. The senior is not expected to return to school this semester.

Coach Eddie Biedenbach said George first felt discomfort last month during a camp in Las Vegas. When he returned to his native Chicago, a doctor recommended immediate surgery.

monthh
09-17-2008, 01:31 AM
If Kenny ever makes the NBA it is clear he isn't going to be a everyday player. He might be useful to play a few minutes here and there in the right situation, but he won't stay healthy enough or in shape enough to play more than a few trips up and down the court. In college he can get away with it, but the speed and strength of NBA big men is going to kill him.

disco
09-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Small Forwards:
1. Austin Daye-Gonzaga
2. Damion James-Texas (could fall hard)
3. Al-Faroug Aminu-Arizona
4. Earl Clark-Louisville
5. Tyler Smith-Tennessee
6. Derrick Brown-Xavier
7. James Johnson-Wake Forest
8. Raymar Morgan-Michingan State
9. Kyle Singler-Duke
10. Devin Ebanks-West Virginia

Shooting Guards:
1. Demar DeRozan-USC
2. James Harden-Arizona State
3. Chase Budinger-Arizona
4. Jrue Holiday-UCLA
5. James Anderson-Oklahoma State
6. Lester Hudson-Tennessee-Martin
7. Gerald Henderson-Duke
8. Wayne Ellington-UNC
9. Tyreke Evans-Memphis
10. Scotty Hopson-Tennessee

Point Gaurds:
1. Darren Collison-UCLA
3. Ty Lawson-UNC
4. Nick Calathas-Florida
7. Eric Maynor-VCU
8. AJ Price-UConn
10. Malcom Lee-UCLA

Do you list these based on college position or likely NBA position? I think it should be either or. If McNeal and Harris are point guards, then Hudson should also be a point guard.

But good lists, I can't argue. Isn't Aminu going to Waker Forest (not Arizona)

monthh
09-20-2008, 03:41 PM
I do NBA positions, but I usually break them down into combo-guards as well. To me Hudson will be a combo-guard, but I think at 6-3 he will be tall enough to do what he does best, and that is score.

To me Harris and McNeal are young enough to learn the point. With young players I tend to think they will improve and get stronger at their weakness'. If NcNeal and Harris were going to be Seniors then it would be very different.

Posterize246
09-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Someone I think everyone should look out for is Yancy Gates, freshman at Cincinnatti. He doesn't necessarily have star potential but could put up big numbers as a freshman and fits the Big East perfectly. Fits the Kenyon Martin/Jason Maxiell power forward type that's come from Cincinatti. Jason Maxiell is actually who I would compare him to.

Power is the first thing that comes to mind with this guy. 6'8" 250 and looks like he wants to break the rim every time he dunks. #22 player of his class, #7 power forward.

disco
09-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Someone I think everyone should look out for is Yancy Gates, freshman at Cincinnatti. He doesn't necessarily have star potential but could put up big numbers as a freshman and fits the Big East perfectly. Fits the Kenyon Martin/Jason Maxiell power forward type that's come from Cincinatti. Jason Maxiell is actually who I would compare him to.

Power is the first thing that comes to mind with this guy. 6'8" 250 and looks like he wants to break the rim every time he dunks. #22 player of his class, #7 power forward.

I haven't seen the guy play, but from what I've read I think he should be a solid college PF and very good fit for Big East. Will be interesting to see him play against Louisville's Samuels.

Posterize246
09-25-2008, 09:49 PM
I haven't seen the guy play, but from what I've read I think he should be a solid college PF and very good fit for Big East. Will be interesting to see him play against Louisville's Samuels.
They're too very different styles. Gates is more that rugged Big East pf while Samuels has more skill. I think Gates will have the better college career, Samuels the better pro.

Grinder
09-28-2008, 02:38 AM
Look out for Dejuan Blair, he's a 6'7" sophomore center, but he's explosive, plays with heart and should put up some solid numbers for Pitt.

monthh
09-29-2008, 01:52 AM
Blair is a lot like Joey Dorsey, Udonis Haslem, Reggie Evans, Ryan Gomes, and Sam Clancy. I don't know where on that list he might fall, but guys like him are perfect 2nd rounders. You probably won't get much more than a decent role players, but you might get a decent player.

eprizzle14
09-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Blair is not close in terms of athlecticism compared with Dorsey. Hes small but ussed his body well with soft touch. He will struggle to stay in the NBA. Solid college player though.

tbp82
11-12-2008, 11:35 AM
I know it is way early but this year's draft right now has more questions than answers. Here are a few of my top questions

1)How overrated is Ricky Rubio?-probably the most overrated prospect in history there is zero reason to rate him above anyone at this point. One site even has him as the second pick in the 2010 draft behind John Wall. Having him #1 overall right now is pretty much a joke sure you have Derrick Rose and Allen Iverson but normally the #1 pick in the draft is a PF or Center so despite Rose last year history is not on Rubio side.

2)How good are the freshman? Mullens, Monroe, Derozan, Holiday, Samuels, and Drew Gordon. First off make no mistake about it if Mullens or Monroe have good seasons giving there size don't be surprised if these two are picked in the top three (Blake Griffin being a top 3 lock). But the other four are mysteries Derozan is a prototypical NBA SG someone with a need at the 2 will take early. Holiday is better than Rubio. But Samuels and Gordon are more interesting. To me they are the Kevin Love's of this year (although both are better athletes by far than Love). Scouts said love was to short to big to slow but his play made him a top 5 pick. Samuels looks like a monster at Louisville and is already a better player than Love. Gordon looks a lot like Blake Griffin physicallly and he is a monster athlete as well if Gordon plays well he could shoot up the boards.

3)Can Blake Griffin establish himself as the first clear cut #1 pick? It seems like every year since Lebron was drafted teams are wondering who to take. Blake Griffin has the best chance to establish himself as the consensus #1 pick. If he plays to his potential and he measures out well (hght wingspan) there is no reason for anyone to pass on him. So far in two exhibition games he has looked like a man among boys. If he continues that play throughout the season and is closer to Amare's height than David West's height he will be to good to pass up.

BIZARRO
11-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Watch Jerel McNeal.

Love his game. :applause:

monthh
11-15-2008, 02:12 AM
TBP, I respect your opinion, but why shouldn't Rubio be picked in front of these guys? Is he too small? Too slow? Not enough potential? Can't play D? Can't shoot? What is it about him that makes him overrated?

I also think that you forgot about a few freshman. I think you mention most of the top freshman, including a couple darkhorse guys, but I don't think anyone can overlook Wake Forest's trio. Aminu is certainly the #1 guy, and should be in or near the lottery this year, but Woods and Walker have a ton of potential as well. I think Woods is maybe only 6-9 or 6-10, but he could be a handfull inside. In a year or two I think we could be talking about him well inside the 1st round. Walker needs to fill out, but if he is a legit 7-0, he could shoot up the draft boards for the '10 or '11 draft. He has lottery potential if he pans out.

And I know this is kind of a down year for freshman compared to last season, but I am surprised that everyone seems to be overlooking Chris Singleton from FSU. I'm not sure he is more than a 2nd rounder at this point, but if he develops a shot in the next couple years, this guys has star potential. I'm not sure I want to use the comparison, but I don't understand how Davon Jefferson could get so much love on here, but Singleton gets none. Also Xavier Gibson could be something if he fills out. I don't know how great he could be, but I could see an NBA backup with work.

And Bizaro, I agree that McNeal is fun to watch, and is better in terms of NBA potential than James ever was, but at 6-3 he is really go to have have a special senior season. He is great on D, makes plays, and is really athletic, but in order to make the NBA I think he is going to have to learn to shoot better, and just overall be a more consistant scorer and playmaker. I could see him in a Luther Head or Tony Allen roll though. In fact it wouldn't surprise me to see a team grab him in the first half of the 2nd round to improve their depth at guard. I could see teams like Toronto or Miami giving him a shot.

Efunk7
11-17-2008, 01:13 AM

since when is 6'10", 250 lbs undersized?...

Posterize246
11-17-2008, 10:18 AM
since when is 6'10", 250 lbs undersized?...
You're kidding yourself if you really think Griffin is 6'10". Remember how tall Beasley was listed and then came out 6'7"? Griffin isn't taller than 6'9" in shoes.

tbp82
11-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Why shouldn't Rubio be ranked above these guys?

1)History isn't on his side. Point Guards typically do not go #1 in the draft even though it can happen.

2)Slightly slow. He didn't impress me at all in the olympics. Sure he is young but I just don't see him making that Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Steve Nash Level. He might but I doubt it.

3)His jumper doesn't look that good. It looks no better than Kidd's but Kidd had the speed and strength to get to the basket I don't think Rubio does. Also to me it looks like he doen't jump at all on his jumper. I could see him struggling bad with long defenders of the NBA.

In conclusion, if I was a team and I was set at every position and needed a point guard I would take a look at Rubio and still might not take him. I personally just don't see it with him. He looks like he might make a nice player maybe even reaching Jose Calderon's level but not a top overall pick in the draft pick #6 or lower go ahead look at him pick #5 or higher I can name 10 players right now I'd rather have.

brandonislegend
11-17-2008, 03:39 PM
jennings > rubio

supersmashbros
11-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Who here thinks Kenny George might get drafted?

supersmashbros
11-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Sorry for the double post...

DwadeOverLebron
11-17-2008, 06:34 PM
i agree jennings > Rubio

People are underestimating on brandon jennings, this kids a future nba allstar lock! he is a top 3 pick talent... he is a future top 5 pg in the league

paul
dwill
drose
bjennings
devin harris

Posterize246
11-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Who here thinks Kenny George might get drafted?
I wouldn't think so seeing as how he's out for the season with a partially amputated foot

tbp82
11-18-2008, 10:17 AM
i agree jennings > Rubio

Count me in to and throw in it ain't even close. What little I have seen of Jennings and Rubio when I watch Jennings play I see an NBA point guard who plays like an NBA point guard when I watch Rubio the only thing I see is he looks like Pistol Pete Maravich (who I have only seen on old footage or tapes). I just don't see why anyone takes Rubio over Jennings.

monthh
11-21-2008, 01:24 AM
1. Rubio is more than a year younger than Jennings.

2. Rubio made the Spanish Olympic team, and actually played for a gold medal.

3. Rubio may not be as athletic, but he is also 3 inches taller.

4. Rubio is a far better defender than Jennings.

Jennings could be a great player, and both of these guys are among the most talented young PG in the world. But Rubio has played against NBA players in the Olympics and held his own. To say he isn't as good as Williams and Paul is stupid. No other PG in the world is that good, much less some 17 year old kid.

Phillyhoops.net
12-06-2008, 03:54 PM
I don't see much talk about Tyreke Evans on here...what are your thoughts?
Visit 2easy.org (http://2easy.org)- Tyreke's blog, photos, videos, etc

beau_boy04
12-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Blake Griffin is a mix of Karl Malone scoring and Dennis Rodman rebounding :cheers:

steve
12-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Blake Griffin is a mix of Karl Malone scoring and Dennis Rodman rebounding :cheers:
I'm not sure I'd throw Rodman in there, just a different kind of beast. But I think he compares most favorably to Malone with a dash of Chris Webber in his game.