PDA

View Full Version : Luis Scola or Brandon Bass

brantonli
08-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Who would you choose? I made this topic because of a similar debate between a mavs fan and some spurs and rockets fans, and obviously the Mavs fan said Bass>Scola and vice versa. What do you think?

ihatetimthomas
08-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Right now, Scola. He is more polished, has a ton of experience in international ball. And bass is undersized. He is younger, so he will improve. But Scola is better now, and he plays the role playing power forward very nicely.

Posterize246
08-27-2008, 11:20 PM
at this point in their careers it's not even a debate.

Scola.

jason816
08-27-2008, 11:47 PM
gimme Scola.

his midrange shot, the nice footwork in the paint, and a decent defender.

starface
08-27-2008, 11:48 PM
scola for sure but i'd still love to have bass on my team

L.Kizzle
08-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Uh Scola. LOL at Brandon Bass

emsteez forreal
08-27-2008, 11:53 PM
brandon bass by a longshot

Silverbullit
08-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Uh Scola. LOL at Brandon Bass

Brandon Bass has lot of potential. If he can improve like last year he will be better than Scola...in a few years :D

JayGuevara
08-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Scola is better now obviously, and seems to have a good grasp on the team concept and what is required of him.

But, Bass has shown glimpses and produced when given the time. I think he can become a solid if unspectacular starter if given the opportunity.

Also, I wanna say Bass is like 24 and Scola is 29 or 30 (I could be wrong on both of those, I'm not positive), so it's entirely possible that Bass ends up being the better player eventually.

DeuceWallaces
08-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Scola by a mile.

Meticode
08-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Shouldn't be asked, Scola.

Nets fan 93
08-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Scola is a beast

TMac&Luther
08-28-2008, 12:10 AM
This thread is funny.....you can make a case that Bass isn't even as good as Houston's backup PF. I'll take a healthy Carl Landry over him as well. :roll:

Silverbullit
08-28-2008, 12:11 AM
This thread is funny.....you can make a case that Bass isn't even as good as Houston's backup PF. I'll take a healthy Carl Landry over him as well. :roll:

Bass is way better than Landry.

TMac&Luther
08-28-2008, 12:12 AM

Uh...no he's not.

June1026
08-28-2008, 12:16 AM

:milton

Silverbullit
08-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Uh...no he's not.

I think he is. Two guys, two opinions :rolleyes:

TMac&Luther
08-28-2008, 12:29 AM
I think he is. Two guys, two opinions :rolleyes:

As a mavs fan you can say you think he's better and there wouldn't be any problem with that statement.

But to say "he's WAY better" is just wrong.

Bass...

in 19.7 min.......8.3 ppg and 4.4 rpg on .499 fg%

Landry...

in 16.9 min.......8.1 ppg and 4.9 rpg on .616 fg%

Then you take into account that Landry was just a rookie and is the better athlete.

Silverbullit
08-28-2008, 12:39 AM
As a mavs fan you can say you think he's better and there wouldn't be any problem with that statement.

But to say "he's WAY better" is just wrong.

Bass...

Landry...

Then you take into account that Landry was just a rookie and is the better athlete.

Bass played 79 games, Landry 42.

Bass is also a better shot blocker.

Lock at the playoff statistics:

Landry 5.7 ppg / 4.7 rpg in 17.7 mpg.
Bass 11.6 ppg / 6.8 rpg in 26.6 mpg.

Bss would be a very solid starter.

TMac&Luther
08-28-2008, 12:51 AM
Bass played 79 games, Landry 42.

Landry was a 2nd round rookie that had to play his way into the rotation.......guess how many games he's going to play next season :violin:

Bass is also a better shot blocker.

Eww....by a whole .4 blks per game :bowdown: what a drastic statistical difference

Lock at the playoff statistics:

Landry 5.7 ppg / 4.7 rpg in 17.7 mpg.
Bass 11.6 ppg / 6.8 rpg in 26.6 mpg.

Bss would be a very solid starter.

That was a limping Landry who still wasn't his pre injury self and just like Bass, Landry would also be a VERY solid starter in this league.....his emergence was a huge reason why Houston was able to survive in the front court and continue their streak without Yao.

This is what a healthy Landry does...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTHTmeDvShQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HIbzmJeB9U&feature=related

Aaron Brooks has never done this to Landry...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqMoU4qxjLk&feature=related

tian820
08-28-2008, 01:13 AM
Bass and Landry is a better comparison than Bass and Scola right now at least

brandonislegend
08-28-2008, 01:18 AM
scola > bass > landry

ronnymac
08-28-2008, 04:01 AM
Landry is a better scorer then bass. conversley bass is a better defender and shot blocker.

Heretik32
08-28-2008, 04:13 AM
TM&L... you got any hobbies apart from defending your precious Houston boys against posters who just plain and simple have a different opinion of them?

Scola > Bass, by the way. But I'd take Bass over Landry in a heartbeat.

InspiredLebowski
08-28-2008, 04:18 AM
As a Purdue fan, I gotta say it's great to see Carl Landry getting love.

But Bass is nowhere near Scola right now, as has been said. And I agree Bass vs. Landry's a much more accurate comparison. I'm honestly not too sure who I'd take, almost a push, but probably Bass. The question is, why did Bass barely see the floor for the Hornets?

Heretik32
08-28-2008, 04:20 AM
As a Purdue fan, I gotta say it's great to see Carl Landry getting love.

Well.. you could put current Wayman Tisdale on the Rockets and TM&L would tell you he's better than Greg Oden. This guy should really be a Lakers fan.

InspiredLebowski
08-28-2008, 04:23 AM
Well.. you could put current Wayman Tisdale on the Rockets and TM&L would tell you he's better than Greg Oden. This guy should really be a Lakers fan.

Also true.

EricGordon23
08-28-2008, 04:26 AM
As of now Scola is the better then bass. In the long run with Bass developing over the years excluding any injuries I'd take Bass. Thats just my opinion though.

Pandaemonaeon
08-28-2008, 06:02 AM
The question is, why did Bass barely see the floor for the Hornets?

According to Scott he was more interested in scoring and didn't rebound nor played defense. Avery didn't care and just wanted an athletic "big" who could score so he scooped him up immediately although we've seen a few flashes of what he could do defensively if he put more effort into that area like in Atlanta or the NO series.

I think he's a better scorer than Landry - he could actually knock down 15/18 foot jump shots with regularity and put the ball in the floor and create. Landry is the better defender (only because he's more consistent) and rebounder. But I like Bass's upside better; he has the tools of a McDyess starter kit.

brantonli
08-28-2008, 06:05 AM
According to Scott he was more interested in scoring and didn't rebound nor played defense. Avery didn't care and just wanted an athletic "big" who could score so he scooped him up immediately although we've seen a few flashes of what he could do defensively if he put more effort into that area like in Atlanta or the NO series.

I think he's a better scorer than Landry - he could actually knock down 15/18 foot jump shots with regularity and put the ball in the floor and create. Landry is the better defender (only because he's more consistent) and rebounder. But I like Bass's upside better; he has the tools of a McDyess starter kit.

You mean a post-injury McDyess right?

willds09
08-28-2008, 06:12 AM
Bass isn't better than scola and landry

miles berg
08-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Scola is better than Bass, no doubt, but Bass is better than Landry.

U got Served
08-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Scola and Bass is not even a question.
Bass/Landry I would take Landry. They're both young and have a lot of potential; but Landry has proven to play big as a rookie. A 2nd round rookie btw who struggled to make the team and exceled when was given the chance to play.

dirkdiggler41
08-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Brandon Bass does not got the skillset that Luis Scola got, so we have to give that one to Luis Scola, but also remeber he is 5years older then Bass. Landry vs. Bass is even. Landry is smaller then bass and is also 2years older. He is not as athetich as Bass either. The problem with Bass is that he does not got a back to the basket game. He is either Shooting from the midrange or dunking it. In one game he owned Duncan. Scored 16points on him. Mostly jumpshoots becaus Duncan dared him to take them.

Luis>Bass>Landry

Human Error
08-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Scola > Landry > Bass

veilside23
08-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Scola > Landry > Bass for me as well ..

CAYO
08-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Scola > Landry > Dorsey > Bass

Rekindled
08-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Scola > Landry > Dorsey > Bass

lol rocket fan.

Sneakerpro
08-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Scola is better than Bass but Bass just turned 23 and Scola is pushing 30.

TMac&Luther
08-28-2008, 04:54 PM

Uh.. wrong, Saying Landry is a better player than Bass, isn't a stretch of the imagination.....because he made a bigger impact and was a hellava lot more effective/efficient. As far as me attacking somebody with a different opinion...

What the **** does that mean.....can you read genius?

Plus while your're trying to run your shit out there.......please list all of the rediculous arguments that I have made about Rockets players. Go ahead and list them. If you're going to call somebody out, you better back your shit up......it's not like I've been on here comparing Rafer Alston to Chris Pual or some shit.

The arguments I have made for Rockets players.

#1. Yao when healthy is the best center in the NBA........what's so homerish about that statement pal, there's plenty of posters on this board that will agree with it.

#2. Shane Battier was robbed of his 1st team defender award last year and it was obvious he has more than past Bruce Bowen as a defender........again, plenty of people on this site will agree with that statement. Bowen has fallen off some, he's no longer the elite wing defender in this league.

and now

#3 that Carl Landry is better than Brandon Bass......when you pull up their stats, it's pretty clear that it's not a outrageous argument to make and it isn't anywhere near the "Laker fan level" of starting Bynum > Howard threads.

TMac&Luther
08-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Scola is better than Bass but Bass just turned 23 and Scola is pushing 30.

Scola is 28 and his game isn't based on athletic ability, he's a smart crafty player who has plenty of years left in his career.

ihatetimthomas
08-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Scola is 28 and his game isn't based on athletic ability, he's a smart crafty player who has plenty of years left in his career.

So whats your point of quoting him? More praise for Scola? What he says is correct

TMac&Luther
08-28-2008, 05:10 PM
So whats your point of quoting him? More praise for Scola? What he says is correct

Well I think the assumption was that Scola only has a few more years left at playing at his current level.......I was simply implying that Scola has a good 5 prime years left. In the end that's all Houston needs, because their window will be well closed by then.

P.S.

:oldlol: Also I didn't like the "Scola is pushing 30" statement, because I'm almost as old as Scola and I don't like the thought of pushing 30.

ElPigto
08-28-2008, 05:12 PM
For the sake of balancing the number of Rocket homers in this thread I decided to post in this thread.

I'd take Scola over Bass any day of the week, but Bass over Landry.

Heretik32
08-28-2008, 05:20 PM
For the sake of balancing the number of Rocket homers in this thread I decided to post in this thread.

I'd take Scola over Bass any day of the week, but Bass over Landry.

Yeah, but then you always were a decent poster. No surprise there.

TMac&Luther
08-28-2008, 05:20 PM

How is it being a homer to say you'd rather have Landry.......people still haven't even made a argument on...

A. why Bass is so much better

and

B. most importantly, why it's "being a homer" to say Landry is the better player.

Pretty much the only thing Bass has going for him and the only reason why I would take him over Landry is because of Landry's knee issue, but from a sheer basketball ability I'll take Landry over Bass. I'm not trying to make it sound like it's a clear cut case, their #s are eerie similar, but it isn't being a "homer" by saying you'd rather want Landry.

Bass...

Landry...

Yep, what a silly homer I am. :rolleyes:

oldenpolynice
08-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Scola has much better touch on his shot and plays with an intelligence that I don't think Bass has acquired yet.

Bass plays with a lot of heart though. I'm not trying to knock him. He just needs more time in the league.

TMac&Luther
08-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah, but then you always were a decent poster. No surprise there.

still waiting for your response. You called me out on "being a Laker fan", but still haven't offered any proof of all these rediculous arguments that you always say I make.

ihatetimthomas
08-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Well I think the assumption was that Scola only has a few more years left at plaing at his current level.......I was simply implying that Scola has a good 5 prime years left. In the end that's all Houston needs, because their window will be well closed by then.

P.S.

:oldlol: Also I didn't like the "Scola is pushing 30" statement, because I'm almost as old as Scola and I don't like the thought of pushing 30.

I can agree with that. He does not rely at all on athletic ability. He will be effective in his early 30's and at that point the Yao and T-Mac project will be over

kentatm
08-29-2008, 03:01 AM
bass b/c he is only 23.

but if its for one game for my life today... Scola.

but for the my team longterm, its Bass no question.

thing is, I doubt the MAvs will be able to afford to keep him after this year b/c they wont be able to match more than the MLE next year.

TMac&Luther
08-29-2008, 03:20 AM
Why are posters still trying to keep this "Scola vs Bass" thread.....that has already been answered.....it's a Bass vs. Landry thread. I mean by the time Bass comes into his own.....Dirk is going to be DONE WITH DALLAS AND CUBAN...(there is no LONGTERM)..I'm just sayin

Silverbullit
08-29-2008, 03:27 AM
bass b/c he is only 23.

but if its for one game for my life today... Scola.

but for the my team longterm, its Bass no question.

thing is, I doubt the MAvs will be able to afford to keep him after this year b/c they wont be able to match more than the MLE next year.

I expect a Bass breakout year too.

DOMINATOR
08-29-2008, 03:34 AM
so it's pretty much unanimous Scola > Bass.

I'd take Bass over landry because of landry's knees... however i love me some dunks. landry brings so much energy to the game Bass can not match him. Landry is the better player i think if he holds up.
landry can hit the mid-range jumper which makes him the perfect picknroll player.

Heretik32
08-29-2008, 03:59 AM
still waiting for your response. You called me out on "being a Laker fan", but still haven't offered any proof of all these rediculous arguments that you always say I make.

I said you should be a Lakers fan with the reckless homerism you proudly display. Anytime anyone even dares to remotely doubt the supremacy of the Rockets you step in like a brave little soldier. Has been like this last year, hasn't changed this year. I can vaguely remember you being one of the more obnoxious posters during the last playoff bout between Houston and Utah, and if I'm not mistaken the year before, always strutting around like the Houston Pimp before games, always making excuses afterwards.

Pardon me if I'm mistaken and it was someone else, but I'm pretty sure it was you.

TMac&Luther
08-29-2008, 04:46 AM
I said you should be a Lakers fan with the reckless homerism you proudly display.

and yet, your dumbass...has not displayed any example of that....c'mon the post a example of the homer that you say I am.......uh, you can't

Anytime anyone even dares to remotely doubt the supremacy of the Rockets you step in like a brave little soldier.

That's a damn cop-out....you waited a whole freakin day to post this crap..

Silverbullit
08-29-2008, 04:51 AM
:no: :no: :no:

I edited out the quote. Nobody has to read it anymore :)

TMac&Luther
08-29-2008, 04:59 AM
:no: :no: :no:

Your right I edited my response.....the guy still needs to reply with a response on how I'm a homer.....that's something his ***** ass has yet to do.

Heretik32
08-29-2008, 05:17 AM
That's a damn cop-out....you waited a whole freakin day to post this shit.. (even after I called you out like a little girl)...blah blah blah .......don't want to get banned because of the dumbass above....again blah blah blah.

Dammit, you're even more stupid than I thought, and that's saying something.

Ever heard of that nifty little invention called "time zones"?

And don't worry about getting banned, I don't care much for your hysterical girly bla bla one way or the other, so that's fine by me. Get it out of your system.

Slim Rick
08-29-2008, 06:37 AM
Luis Scola is in his prime now and Bass is still developing so i'll go with Scola

First Post!!!!
:rockon: :hammertime: :rockon:

diegot143
08-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Scola is not the usual nba 28 year old bc his whole career has been in europe where the seasons are much shorter. He hasnt played no where near as much as a average 28 year old in the NBA. Hes got a good 4 strong years left in his career. He is still even getting better!

T-Low
08-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Uh...no he's not.

By a long shot. Bass is still very young, but better nontheless than Landry. If Bass' year this year keeps getting better as it did last year, who knows what could happen.

TMac&Luther
08-29-2008, 03:17 PM
By a long shot. Bass is still very young, but better nontheless than Landry. If Bass' year this year keeps getting better as it did last year, who knows what could happen.

Bass is not better "by a long shot", I have no problem with people saying he's better......unlike what the dumbass above thinks, I don't really care if people say "he's better", but to say things like "he's WAY better" or "by a long shot" is kinda stupid when their #s are so close and really Landry posted better #s last season in his rookie year on a team stacked with solid veterans. (so yes, even Landry is going to "get better")

gyu
01-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Landry or Bass?

Is this even a question?
:roll: