PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant or Brandon Roy

ihatetimthomas
09-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Both young studs for their respective teams. Both integral parts of their teams future. Both have ROY awards and both are ready to contribute now.

I would have to say Brandon Roy is more refined and has better fundamentals even as a rookie. He has proven he is very versatile. He can dish, defend, handle the rock, and score when needed.

Durant is a scorer. I think he has more potential to become a bonafide scorer. He can become a T-Mac type scorer if he refines his offensive skills. He could become more of a #1 option than Roy.

So who you got? Personally, I couldnt go wrong with either. Both bring different elements to their teams and both have youth on their sides. I may go with Durant bc he is 4 years younger and has bigger upside. But I really like the consistency and bball IQ in Roy and his ability to run a team. He seems like he a leader. But many times, youth and potential overcome all

west
09-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Brandon Roy

miles berg
09-19-2008, 02:35 PM
For this season or for the next decade? This season, probably Roy because he is more polished. The next decade? Without a doubt KD, he will be a superstar in this league.

iamgine
09-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Of course Brandon Roy

This is like asking Allen Iverson or Scottie Pippen, I have to go with Pippen every time.

KeylessEntry
09-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Tough choice, but I would have to go with Roy. Although he cannot score as well as KD, he takes much better shots and is/will be a true leader. I have not seen Durant show that he can lead a team the same way Roy does.

oldenpolynice
09-19-2008, 02:43 PM
For this season? I'll take Roy. But for future considerations give me Durant.

jrcp3
09-19-2008, 02:55 PM
KD has WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY more upside ....

Zak
09-19-2008, 03:10 PM
If we are talking about right now for immediate use, Brandon roy is the obvious choice. Kevin Durant did show alot of promise with his excellent rookie season, which is easily comparable to if not better than lebron and melo's rookie season, but time will tell how KD shapes out.

blazerftc
09-19-2008, 03:13 PM
KD has WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY more upside ....

Not to cr4p on your post, but the very same thing was said about Bargnani when he and Roy were rookies in the same class...

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
09-19-2008, 03:14 PM
This season its Roy....then from next year till another decade its all Kevin Durant

AItheAnswer3
09-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Of course Brandon Roy

This is like asking Allen Iverson or Scottie Pippen, I have to go with Pippen every time.

So Pippen's a better scorer than Iverson

Rekindled
09-19-2008, 03:43 PM
So Pippen's a better scorer than Iverson

and way way way better defender?

AItheAnswer3
09-19-2008, 03:47 PM
and way way way better defender?

When did i say that. He's saying Pippen's better than Iverson in every part of the game. What a lameass statement But of course overall pippen>iverson

ihatetimthomas
09-19-2008, 03:50 PM
When did i say that. He's saying Pippen's better than Iverson in every part of the game. What a lameass statement But of course overall pippen>iverson

When did he say Pippen was better in every part of his game?? It looks to me he is just saying he overall take Pippen over AI

EricForman
09-19-2008, 03:52 PM
I think Durant has far more upside. Roy is an undersized 2 without super athletism. Can anyone picture him being much better than he is right now? Like does he look like someone that can be dropping 28 a night later on?

KD I can picture being ridiculous later. Of course he could also be a bust. But still, I'd say KD has more potential to blow up.

EricForman
09-19-2008, 03:53 PM

but he didnt say Pippen was better than Iverson in every part of the game.

RoseCity07
09-19-2008, 03:58 PM
I think Durant has far more upside. Roy is an undersized 2 without super athletism. Can anyone picture him being much better than he is right now? Like does he look like someone that can be dropping 28 a night later on?

KD I can picture being ridiculous later. Of course he could also be a bust. But still, I'd say KD has more potential to blow up.

No he isn't, he is a legit 6-6. Was MJ a undersized shooting guard?

Also Roy showed a lot of improvement to be more effective over the course of the entire game in his second year. Roy learning the game alone will make him a much better player. This is a guy who doesn't even use his athleticism and still takes over games. Roy doesn't need to drop 28 for the Blazers to win. He's happy getting 15 and 10 with a victory. He trusts his teammates unlike a lot of star in the league today.

I take Roy over Durant any day. The only guys I trade Roy for right now are Lebron or Wade.

ihatetimthomas
09-19-2008, 04:09 PM

Also Roy showed a lot of improvement to be more effective over the course of the entire game in his second year. Roy learning the game alone will make him a much better player. This is a guy who doesn't even use his athleticism and still takes over games. Roy doesn't need to drop 28 for the Blazers to win. He's happy getting 15 and 10 with a victory. He trusts his teammates unlike a lot of star in the league today.

I take Roy over Durant any day. The only guys I trade Roy for right now are Lebron or Wade.

You wouldnt take Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Dwight Howard over Roy? I know he is a great player but there are more guys who are better than him and that I would take over him. Roy is better now than Durant, thats fact. But bc of his youth and ability to score, I dont think its as clear cut as you think that one should take him over Durant. I would take Roy easily if I were looking ot win now but Durant over the next 10-15 yrs is going to filling up the stats

oldenpolynice
09-19-2008, 04:10 PM

Even with the injury history? I'd take Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and Chris Bosh for sure over Roy. At least, out of the guys who are under 25.

AItheAnswer3
09-19-2008, 04:11 PM
When did he say Pippen was better in every part of his game?? It looks to me he is just saying he overall take Pippen over AI

I think the part "every time" indirectly gives it away. Or it could also mean he would take a 03 Pippen over AI :roll:

RoseCity07
09-19-2008, 04:15 PM
You wouldnt take Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Dwight Howard over Roy? I know he is a great player but there are more guys who are better than him and that I would take over him. Roy is better now than Durant, thats fact. But bc of his youth and ability to score, I dont think its as clear cut as you think that one should take him over Durant. I would take Roy easily if I were looking ot win now but Durant over the next 10-15 yrs is going to filling up the stats

Yeah maybe CP3. I wouldn't trade for Deron though. No way in hell the Blazers would get offered Dwight for Roy, but even if we did we have Oden right now. Roy can be very effective without scoring too. Dwight can be shut down.

CP3 is probably another guy I would strongly consider trading Roy to get. I think once we see Roy do well in the playoffs like Deron it won't even be a question that the Roy is more valuable.

So my list is CP3, Lebron, or Wade.

iamgine
09-19-2008, 04:22 PM
I think the part "every time" indirectly gives it away. Or it could also mean he would take a 03 Pippen over AI :roll:
how come you're the only one who can't understand my statement. Everyone else understand it just fine. :lol

Dasher
09-19-2008, 04:28 PM
KD now and in the future. KD is a franchise cornerstone type talent, who had a much better rookie season than Roy. Roy is a solid player, but is not a superstar. Every team knew that KD was the only legit scoring option on his squad and he still got buckets, he was unafraid to take game winners, and managed to excel in during one of the worst tankjobs the league has seen since the Cavs sunk their season for L.James.

JordanL
09-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Roy is an undersized 2 without super athletism.

6'7" is undersized for a SG?

Jesus Christ, what happened to this league?

RoseCity07
09-19-2008, 04:37 PM
KD now and in the future. KD is a franchise cornerstone type talent, who had a much better rookie season than Roy. Roy is a solid player, but is not a superstar. Every team knew that KD was the only legit scoring option on his squad and he still got buckets, he was unafraid to take game winners, and managed to excel in during one of the worst tankjobs the league has seen since the Cavs sunk their season for L.James.

Yeah and Kevin Durant scored more points per game in his rookie year than Roy did in his second season. The coaches still selected Brandon Roy to the All Star game. Also the Sonics were utterly pathetic last year. The Blazers were a much better team during Roy's rookie year than Durant's team.

The same exact Blazer team last year finished at .500. Brandon Roy has lead the Blazers to +20 wins from just two season ago. Good luck seeing Durant do that.

KNOW1EDGE
09-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Kevin Durant may have put up good numbers last year, but if you replace Kevin Durant with any other talented player and put him on the Sonics i guarantee anyone could put up those type numbers.

Durant had free range to shoot whenever he wanted, he was literally walking down the court and chucking up shots. Hell, if i did that i could score 20 ppg.

KD puts up numbers on a horrible team where he is the #1 option and throws up 35 shots a game.

Roy puts up those same numbers on a good team where he isnt taking the majority of the shots.

I just think Roy success so far is more significant than Durants.

If Kevin had some good talent around him, and maybe a franchise that cared about winning, he might have a significant NBA career.

I think its too early to choose.

But right now its OBVIOUSLEY Roy.

Dasher
09-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah and Kevin Durant scored more points per game in his rookie year than Roy did in his second season. The coaches still selected Brandon Roy to the All Star game. Also the Sonics were utterly pathetic last year. The Blazers were a much better team during Roy's rookie year than Durant's team.

The same exact Blazer team last year finished at .500. Brandon Roy has lead the Blazers to +20 wins from just two season ago. Good luck seeing Durant do that.Roy's All Star selection was/is questionable. Baron Davis and Deron Williams have gripes about missing the game, and it is well-documented that there is a bit of anti-Baron Davis sentiment around the league. The Blazers had a nice streak, but were less than mediocre for the rest of the year. Take away the streak and the team was actually terrible. The streak was an outlier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier), and not truly indicative of the season the Blazers had.

JordanL
09-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Roy's All Star selection was/is questionable. Baron Davis and Deron Williams have gripes about missing the game, and it is well-documented that there is a bit of anti-Baron Davis sentiment around the league. The Blazers had a nice streak, but were less than mediocre for the rest of the year. Take away the streak and the team was actually terrible. The streak was an outlier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier), and not truly indicative of the season the Blazers had.

Without the streak the team was terrible?

Series with Utah: 3-1
Series with NOH: 2-2
Series with LAL: 2-2

Portland beat quality teams... and many after their streak during which they faced multiple injuries. They by no use of the word a "terrible" team last year.

Dasher
09-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Without the streak the team was terrible?

Series with Utah: 3-1
Series with NOH: 2-2
Series with LAL: 2-2

Portland beat quality teams... and many after their streak during which they faced multiple injuries. They by no use of the word a "terrible" team last year.
[quote]
In statistics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics), an outlier is an observation that is numerically distant from the rest of the data (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_set). Statistics derived from data sets that include outliers may be misleading. For example, if one is calculating the average (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average) temperature of 10 objects in a room, and most are between 20 and 25 degrees Celsius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degrees_Celsius), but an oven is at 350

Myth
09-19-2008, 05:17 PM
The streak was an outlier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier), and not truly indicative of the season the Blazers had.

Did you calculate to see if it really was an outlier? Or are you guessing that it is a statistical outlier?

Dasher
09-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Did you calculate to see if it really was an outlier? Or are you guessing that it is a statistical outlier?I used Pierce's criterion. Outside of the 13 win streak the Blazer's longest streaks are of 4 games which happened twice. The majority of their wins are 1 win followed by losing streaks.

miles berg
09-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Some guy in this thread said he wouldnt trade Roy for Deron Williams and that he might consider trading him for Chris Paul.

ROFL.

Brandon Roy is a good player but he isnt a franchise player, he isnt a future HOFer like those guys, he is Jim Jackson without the personal problems which is a very good player. But lets be realistic here.

Lebron23
09-19-2008, 05:34 PM
I pick Kevin Durant because he's going to become one of the greatest scorer in the history of the NBA.

Myth
09-19-2008, 05:40 PM
I used Pierce's criterion. Outside of the 13 win streak the Blazer's longest streaks are of 4 games which happened twice. The majority of their wins are 1 win followed by losing streaks.

I'd like to see your calculations if you don't mind. :cheers:

Dasher
09-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Data Set:
{4,1,13,4,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,1,1,2,1}

No of entries:19
Sum of entries:41
Mean:2.1578947368421053
Standard Deviation:2.7195811963713292

Now make note of the bolded number and how far it exceeds the standard deviation. In a sample size so small it is unacceptable and has to be thrown out.

scrubbydew
09-19-2008, 06:03 PM
I would pick Roy over KD. But the problem is.....roy keeps getting injured.

lakerfreak
09-19-2008, 06:05 PM
for the same reasons everyone else says....Im going to pick Roy just for right now because hes been in the NBA longer and is more developed so thats a no brainer.

But when Durant reaches his prime....he will be far ahead of roy in his prime as far as individual stats....But Roy has a better shot of reaching the NBA finals several times.

stevieming
09-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Brandon Roy every time....dude knows how to play and gels with many types of players.

KD not so much.....

AItheAnswer3
09-19-2008, 06:07 PM
how come you're the only one who can't understand my statement. Everyone else understand it just fine. :lol

because you cant spell imagine correctly

KNOW1EDGE
09-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Brandon Roy is a good player but he isnt a franchise player, he isnt a future HOFer like those guys, he is Jim Jackson without the personal problems which is a very good player. But lets be realistic here.

LMFAO. "Jim Jackson without the personal problems" :roll: :applause:

Brandon Roy is one of the best all around players in the NBA.

Easily a top 25 player in the NBA.

Dasher
09-19-2008, 06:12 PM

Easily a top 25 player in the NBA.You are showing your youth. Mavericks Jim Jackson is probably the best comparision I have heard for Roy on ISH.

hassano
09-19-2008, 06:15 PM
For now Brandon Roy, but probably in a couple of years Durant

Not to cr4p on your post, but the very same thing was said about Bargnani when he and Roy were rookies in the same class...

Ummm... not to cr4p on your post, but if Bargnani develops his court sense, defense and some back to the basket game, he will be better than Roy....

RoseCity07
09-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Roy's All Star selection was/is questionable. Baron Davis and Deron Williams have gripes about missing the game, and it is well-documented that there is a bit of anti-Baron Davis sentiment around the league. The Blazers had a nice streak, but were less than mediocre for the rest of the year. Take away the streak and the team was actually terrible. The streak was an outlier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier), and not truly indicative of the season the Blazers had.

Questioned by who, you?:oldlol: Are you saying you have better player evaluating skills than NBA coaches? Lol this is hilarious. Coaches were raving about the play of Brandon Roy all year long. Chuck Swirsky who voted for Barngani over Roy for ROY said he thought Brandon Roy was a superstar.

You don't understand just how good Brandon Roy is. The guy can get to the rim at will but chooses to get his teammates involved. The other teams base their entire defensive strategy around stopping Brandon Roy. Keep in mind this is a second year player.

KNOW1EDGE
09-19-2008, 06:19 PM
You are showing your youth. Mavericks Jim Jackson is probably the best comparision I have heard for Roy on ISH.

LOL. Jim Jackson played for the Blazers, i know who he is.

Dasher
09-19-2008, 06:21 PM
LOL. Jim Jackson played for the Blazers, i know who he is.He played for damn near everybody. Mavs Jimmy with JKidd and Mash played the game like Brandon Roy, in a solid-allaround non-Superstaric manner.

KNOW1EDGE
09-19-2008, 06:27 PM
He played for damn near everybody. Mavs Jimmy with JKidd and Mash played the game like Brandon Roy, in a solid-allaround non-Superstaric manner.

Blazers Brandon Roy(in his 2nd year) playing with ???? and ??? played like an all-star.

Jim Jackson playing alongside two all-stars and a future HOF was "solid"
Brandon Roy(in his 2nd year)>Jim Jackson

Thats all im trying to say.

Roy deserved to be an all-star. I dont know where your coming up with this whole "Roy's all-star appearance is questionable" Where did you get that from? This forum? lol.

The coaches voted Brandon Roy in. Your telling me you know more than them? I doubt it.

Dasher
09-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Deron Williams and Baron Davis had better half seasons than B.Roy. Roy's inclusion in the All Star game had more to do with the NBA wanting to capitalize on the story that the Blazers were at the time. Coaches All Star game votes are more like College Football Coaches Poll votes, merit is not always the determining factor in choices.

KNOW1EDGE
09-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Deron Williams and Baron Davis had better half seasons than B.Roy. Roy's inclusion in the All Star game had more to do with the NBA wanting to capitalize on the story that the Blazers were at the time. Coaches All Star game votes are more like College Football Coaches Poll votes, merit is not always the determining factor in choices.

Did you come up with that yourself too?

Listen, professionals said that Roy deserved the all-star bid over Davis and Williams. I dont really care what some people in an online sports forum think. Especially this forum. We have seen how crazy some people can be.

Williams will likely be an all-star this year, and go on to have a great career.

Roy will likely not be an all-star this year, and go on to have a great career.

Davis will never be an all-star and has already peaked and began to degress talentwise.

Maniak
09-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Brandon Roy

ihatetimthomas
09-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Did you come up with that yourself too?

Listen, professionals said that Roy deserved the all-star bid over Davis and Williams. I dont really care what some people in an online sports forum think. Especially this forum. We have seen how crazy some people can be.

Williams will likely be an all-star this year, and go on to have a great career.

Roy will likely not be an all-star this year, and go on to have a great career.

Davis will never be an all-star and has already peaked and began to degress talentwise.

Well why would you post on a forum where the opinions of others is always going to be noted? I mean, honestly its debatable whether or not Roy should have been given the nod over Davis and Deron. Both those guys were haveing stellar seasons. Clearly you are a roy fan but you act like its a no brainer he shoudve been an all star. He was playing phenomonal, but you are very biased in your arguments

TheCord#20
09-19-2008, 07:11 PM

Umm he is 6'6 and 6'7 in shoes....

RoseCity07
09-19-2008, 07:15 PM
No need to get defensive if other people don't think Roy is all that great. It's when they say things that aren't true that get pretty annoying. When I read things like Deron or Baron deserved to be in the ASG over Roy I just say, "Okay okay that's fine that you think that". I'm glad I'm on the side that says otherwise because the NBA coaches agree with me.

Rockets(T-mac)
09-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Right now it is Brandon Roy, just a better all round game. Can Durant become better than him in the future, definitely, but I really don't know. I am pretty confident that Durant will be a very good scorer in the future probably have a couple 30+ ppg seasons. The future is yet to be seen, but I think Durant will be a better scorer in his prime than Brandon. But right now it's Roy.

Kiddlovesnets
09-19-2008, 08:39 PM
This is like the AI-Manu comparison. We all know AI is better skillfully but he's generally considered as a cancer. Manu may not be as good at shooting and penetrating as AI but he contributed greatly to the three titles his team earned.

Myth
09-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Data Set:
{4,1,13,4,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,1,1,2,1}

No of entries:19
Sum of entries:41
Mean:2.1578947368421053
Standard Deviation:2.7195811963713292

Now make note of the bolded number and how far it exceeds the standard deviation. In a sample size so small it is unacceptable and has to be thrown out.

Ok, so you should have specified earlier that the 13 win streak is an outlier among the streaks. That context is a little different.

Glo41
09-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Blazers Brandon Roy(in his 2nd year) playing with ???? and ??? played like an all-star.

Jim Jackson playing alongside two all-stars and a future HOF was "solid"
Brandon Roy(in his 2nd year)>Jim Jackson

Thats all im trying to say.

Roy deserved to be an all-star. I dont know where your coming up with this whole "Roy's all-star appearance is questionable" Where did you get that from? This forum? lol.

The coaches voted Brandon Roy in. Your telling me you know more than them? I doubt it.

Jim Jackson's 3rd year stats:

25.7ppg
5.0rpg
3.7apg
47%FG

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=372

Mostly every other season though, Roy's 2nd season was better, I'll give you that.

El Kabong
09-19-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm tossing up between the two. I like Durant more as an individual player, but if I were making a team, i'd have to pick Roy. Durant is reminding me of Jerry Stackhouse on the Pistons right now. Putting up lots of points, probably lead the league in PPG, but they won't go anywhere of note.

danumber88
09-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Roy is winning the race, more experience polished, a leader, etc.

i would have chosen Durant, but ill give him one more year i know hes going to be good, just wanna see if he gets some meat in his bones and some leadership

Chrono90
09-19-2008, 11:24 PM
i pick Kevin Durant because he is better in nba2k

miles berg
09-20-2008, 01:07 AM

Easily a top 25 player in the NBA.

You weren't watching in the early 90s, were you? Jimmy Jackson was a great, great college player and the 4th overall pick in 1992. He was an all around 6'6" guard that could run the offense on the perimeter or on the box. He was fantastic. He averaged 19.2 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 4.6 apg, and 1.1 spg as a 2nd year player in the NBA (16/5/4 as a rookie). Brandon Roy (6'6" SG that can play some PG too) averaged 19.1 ppg, 5.8 apg, 4.7 rpg, and 1.1 spg as a sophomore (17/4/4 as a rookie). If Roy comes anywhere close to Jim Jacksons 3rd season (26/5/4) he will be a runaway success.

Jim Jackson had a great skillset, the exact same skillset as Roy. Jim just made the wrong decision in Dallas by crossing Jason Kidd and it led to him losing his "spot" as a franchise cornerstone that wasnt quite the franchise player (Kidd, or in Roys case Oden) but was very close.

shawbryant
09-20-2008, 02:52 AM
I don't like that thin boy,so I'd rather get Roy,he'll do a good job with Oden and other talented young men in Blazers in few years.

Meticode
09-20-2008, 02:56 AM
Does anyone know if Durant has been working out in the offseason to build muscle?

baseketball4life
09-20-2008, 03:00 AM
KD35 for me

shaoyut
09-20-2008, 03:58 AM
depends what durant does in this upcoming season but so far roy

dirkdiggler41
09-20-2008, 06:32 AM
I have to go with Kevin Durant. He is 4years younger, but scoring at Roy's level. Roy is less selfish, but then igain he got 4year more of experince with basketball then Durant. Also considering how Durant got 42 points this season and Roy Career high is 33. Then you could also add that Roy has yet to improve stat wise. He is playing better and is a leader, but he wont lead a team to a championship with those numbers

2LeTTeRS
09-20-2008, 09:46 AM

No, you're just showing that you don't know what it means when somebody shows they'll take one player over another "every time." Thats kind of sad man. You really want me to tell you what it means?

You ever heard the expression I'll take one player over another 9 times out of 10? Something like I'd take Shaq out of Tim Duncan 9 times out 10? Saying every time is just like that, but you're saying I'd take Shaq over Tim Duncan 10 times out of 10. Get it?

EricForman
09-20-2008, 10:26 AM

First I would like to apologize for calling Roy undersized. I didn't realize he was 6'6.

But now moving on... what you said above...that's a bit much.

So you wouldn't trade Roy for Dwight? Chris Paul? Deron? Kobe? Dirk (hes not that old)?

That's just homerism right there. What Brendan Roy did last year, was it more impressive than what Melo did his rookie year? What Chris Paul did last year? What Iverson did in 01? He had a good year but you're talking like he jsut had the most ridiculous year this year hence he justifies the "OMG i wouldn't trade him for 99.9% of the league" comment that you just made.

Don't act like Roy has the ability to put up superstar numbers but chooses not to. He's just not elite a player. He's a great team player and a leader. But don't tell me he take an average cast and then carry it to "great team level" the way Kobe, Lebron, or Duncan can. Roy will be a fine player for the next decade, but I don't see him ever being more than second tier star the way Ray Allen was.

kumquat
09-20-2008, 12:42 PM

Oh hellll no. KD was pretty bad last year, Seattle had one of the worst records in the league, while durant was playing 1 on 1 ball with the other team. When Durant actually involves teammates and shows he can win games, then I'd consider him.

kumquat
09-20-2008, 12:47 PM
For now Brandon Roy, but probably in a couple of years Durant

Ummm... not to cr4p on your post, but if Bargnani develops his court sense, defense and some back to the basket game, he will be better than Roy....

Is that like if Kwame Brown develops a back to the game basket, a jumper and a passing game he will be better than Shaq?

"Jesus"
09-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Does anyone know if Durant has been working out in the offseason to build muscle?

There was a thread long time ago, that compared two pictures of him, in previous years and this summer. Seems like he's gotten a bit stronger.

NotALakerTroll
09-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Kevin Durant obviously has more potential, but Brandon Roy has proven he's a leader. Hey, what's funny is that Portland could've had both! I hope Greg Oden pans out, I really do, but if it doesn't, a Kevin Durant/Brandon Roy duo would've been fun to see. And don't tell me Kevin Durant needs the ball to be effective. He's proven time and time again he's comfortable shooting spot up jumpers and doesn't need the ball every time down the court.

Godfather
09-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Both young studs for their respective teams. Both integral parts of their teams future. Both have ROY awards and both are ready to contribute now.

I would have to say Brandon Roy is more refined and has better fundamentals even as a rookie. He has proven he is very versatile. He can dish, defend, handle the rock, and score when needed.

Durant is a scorer. I think he has more potential to become a bonafide scorer. He can become a T-Mac type scorer if he refines his offensive skills. He could become more of a #1 option than Roy.

So who you got? Personally, I couldnt go wrong with either. Both bring different elements to their teams and both have youth on their sides. I may go with Durant bc he is 4 years younger and has bigger upside. But I really like the consistency and bball IQ in Roy and his ability to run a team. He seems like he a leader. But many times, youth and potential overcome all

Brandon Roy; right now it really isn't close.

ballinforkeeps
09-20-2008, 09:17 PM
kd should have a better career. hes 6'9 and fast as hell. score from anywhere, 3pt needs a lotta work. defense is good and will get better. he needs to bulk up for sure, and fewer tos.

in his first season he avg 20/4/2/1blk & stl on 1.5 fpg, 3tos, 43fg% and 87ft%. who else as a rookie can get a blk and a steal and not foul out every game? or come close to fouling out? this mother ****er doesnt even know how to foul.

im not downplaying roy, hes also a baller. good rebounder and passer for a sg. he wont be an easy handle but durant is 6'9 and can do wat roy can do and will be able to do a lot more. at least he should, hopefully he doesnt settle for wat he is now. his body is capable of much more

btw, rudy gay and danny granger avg 1blk/stl but gay gets 2.8 fls and granger has 3.6, durant gets 1.5. thats not easy, specially when youre on team thats not that good in the west.

EricGordon23
09-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Brandon Roy

Dasher
09-21-2008, 12:33 AM
43%=7/16. This figure should give people a better representation of his shooting from the field. KD also shot 87% from the stripe. Toward the end of the season Durant was already one of the best players in the league. He started taking less three pointers and his FG and 3ptFG% showed it.

RoseCity07
09-21-2008, 03:26 AM
43%=7/16. This figure should give people a better representation of his shooting from the field. KD also shot 87% from the stripe. Toward the end of the season Durant was already one of the best players in the league. He started taking less three pointers and his FG and 3ptFG% showed it.

Kevin Durant has never been close to one of the best players in the league. His rebounding, and assist numbers are pathetic. His team had a terrible record and he was chucking up a ton of shots. He is rail thin and has a ton of more muscle to add on.

He should be great once he starts building some muscle and getting his stroke down in the NBA. He's not on Roy's level yet.

EricForman
09-21-2008, 06:06 AM
Kevin Durant has never been close to one of the best players in the league. His rebounding, and assist numbers are pathetic. His team had a terrible record and he was chucking up a ton of shots. He is rail thin and has a ton of more muscle to add on.

He should be great once he starts building some muscle and getting his stroke down in the NBA. He's not on Roy's level yet.

Can you please stop putting Roy on a pedestal? Roy's level? what level is that?

Is that 4 levels below Lebron's level, and 2 levels below Chris Paul and Deron?

Brendan Roy level... is that about 1997 Nick Van Exel level? Or maybe 1999 Terrell Brandon level?

Jesus christ and the Blazers didnt even make the playoffs. He had a good year, but let's not get carried away.

Dasher
09-22-2008, 09:30 AM

He should be great once he starts building some muscle and getting his stroke down in the NBA. He's not on Roy's level yet.http://images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/30214/orig/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_146904.jpg

For those harping on KD's FG%: Roy shot 45% to KD's 43%, and Kevin only attempted 2 extra field goals per game. Roy shot 75% from the stripe and KD shot 87%, and made more FTs than Roy attempted. Kevin looks pretty efficient to me.

chains5000
09-22-2008, 10:31 AM
KD for me, he's gonna be a top 3 scorer in the league, he's just too young.

ihatetimthomas
09-22-2008, 08:45 PM

Well you also factor him him being a rookie and you have to admit thats damn impressive what he did last season. He started the yr off as a chucker, but improved majorly the 2nd half of the year. His fg% increased and his overall game improved. You can't use his team stunk to argue what type of player he is. His team stunk, and so what if he took his shots? He got the green light to do so. I will agree as of now, Roy's overall game is superior. Roy is one of the most all around players in the league. But 4 years younger makes Durant very enticing

Kumo
09-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Roy... he plays so much more experience I forget this is his 3rd year coming up.

ihatetimthomas
09-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Roy... he plays so much more experience I forget this is his 3rd year coming up.

Roy shows what playing college ball is all about. Look at his skills. So refined and so solid. This is the problem with young guns leaving after only a year. Roy played like a veteran his rookie year. He shows why these young phenoms need to stay in college. They can be so much better than they are

brwnman
09-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Roy shows what playing college ball is all about. Look at his skills. So refined and so solid. This is the problem with young guns leaving after only a year. Roy played like a veteran his rookie year. He shows why these young phenoms need to stay in college. They can be so much better than they are

You say that, but we do have players who have been in college for 4 years and haven't done anything. Look at Joey Graham, he has the tools to be a very good starting SF in the league, but he is as dumb as they get at the swing position. I still laugh at some commentator that talk about him just needing time. He's already entering his prime and he hasn't done anything. I think the college ball rule depends from player to player. It's all about the player's skill level and the ability to adjust...

ihatetimthomas
09-22-2008, 09:03 PM
You say that, but we do have players who have been in college for 4 years and haven't done anything. Look at Joey Graham, he has the tools to be a very good starting SF in the league, but he is as dumb as they get at the swing position. I still laugh at some commentator that talk about him just needing time. He's already entering his prime and he hasn't done anything. I think the college ball rule depends from player to player. It's all about the player's skill level and the ability to adjust...

Obvioulsy there are always exceptions. But many young guys struggle to find themselves in this league and I think you would be better prepared for the NBA if you grew in college. SOme guys just wont make it, even if they have been mentored by the best coaches in college. But I just think there are to many young players drafted that suffer bc they are not ready. It affects their psyche and attitude for the game if they struggle for years in on the bench. Of course there are there Lebrons, Dwights, etc that are already ready but how often does that happen?

kumquat
09-04-2009, 12:46 PM
lets see where you Durant **********s are at the end of this season

Xsatyr
09-04-2009, 01:52 PM
lets see where you Durant **********s are at the end of this season
Roy for now and Durant for the near future. Durant's ceiling is higher imho.

kumquat
09-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Roy for now and Durant for the near future. Durant's ceiling is higher imho.

when you say ceiling are you talking about durant's house? That's about the only thing I could think of that's higher than Roy's. 23 wins ***** please.

Xsatyr
09-04-2009, 02:01 PM
when you say ceiling are you talking about durant's house? That's about the only thing I could think of that's higher than Roy's. 23 wins ***** please.
Roy has a much better team and is a better playmaker and teammate. But with a couple more years of experience and better teammates I could see Durant doing more. Until then our opinions are just opinions, it is not absolute. So quit acting like you have superior reasoning skills and logic.

ihatetimthomas
09-04-2009, 02:01 PM

He is 4 years younger and has shown us he can be a prolific scorer. His ceiling is higher but not everyone reaches their potential. Roy right now can run a team much better and is a better leader at this point but I can see Durant being a great player at his age, maybe better

kumquat
09-04-2009, 02:10 PM
come on now, a year on durant was meant to be doing something. A 23 win team shows he does what he does. There have been plenty of average scorers in the NBA over many years who have taken teams to better records. When will ISH admit Durant is an overrated bum.

ihatetimthomas
09-04-2009, 02:19 PM
come on now, a year on durant was meant to be doing something. A 23 win team shows he does what he does. There have been plenty of average scorers in the NBA over many years who have taken teams to better records. When will ISH admit Durant is an overrated bum.

What are you talking about? Was Durant expected to turn around a franchise that started from the ground up on his draft day? They have no veterans and no bench. All of their core players are learning on the fly. Durant is very young, he only played a year in college. Roy played 4 years. Thats a huge difference. Franchises take years to get back to a competitive level, the youth OKC is developing is a good sign

beau_boy04
09-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Kevin Durant longterm and Brandon Roy shorterm. Roy is not yet in his prime but I don't see him getting much much better than what he already is. Duran'ts potential is way way much higher than Roy. Durant has the potential to become a top5 for the next 10 years. Brandon Roy will barely crack the top 10 year in and year out.

eliteballer
09-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Right now Roy is better but Durant will surpass him within the next 2 years.

Bigsmoke
09-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Roy... wassup with all this Durant d#ckriding? The man averaged 25 ppg and his team still the worst offensive team in the NBA.

Durantula35
09-04-2009, 05:30 PM
As others have already said, Roy for winning now, KD for the future.

Durant at 20 put up better stats than Roy at 23.

JordanL
09-04-2009, 06:10 PM
As others have already said, Roy for winning now, KD for the future.

Durant at 20 put up better stats than Roy at 23.

Come back to me when OKC isn't over .500 without Durant in the lineup and under .250 with him in the lineup...

Xsatyr
09-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Come back to me when OKC isn't over .500 without Durant in the lineup and under .250 with him in the lineup...
Yeah five games means alot.

JordanL
09-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah five games means alot.

It sure meant a lot to OKC's win total.

RoseCity07
09-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Why do people say Roy had a better team? He has Aldridge and Sergio coming in. Jeff Green was surely better than Aldridge when they were rookies. Brandon Roy took a very young team to the playoffs in just 3 years. Kevin Durant could not have done the same with the Blazers roster 2 years ago.

Stop kidding yourself. Leadership>chucking

dannywpt
03-15-2014, 09:08 PM
I pick Kevin Durant because he's going to become one of the greatest scorer in the history of the NBA.

:applause:

moe94
03-15-2014, 10:19 PM
http://www.the-mainboard.com/styles/default/xenforo/eastereggs/jhb.gif

JohnFreeman
03-15-2014, 10:20 PM
Roy

Milbuck
03-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Roy
This

Railgun
03-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Good call Lebron23

moe94
03-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Why do people say Roy had a better team? He has Aldridge and Sergio coming in. Jeff Green was surely better than Aldridge when they were rookies. Brandon Roy took a very young team to the playoffs in just 3 years. Kevin Durant could not have done the same with the Blazers roster 2 years ago.

Stop kidding yourself. Leadership>chucking

http://sportsgif.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Roy-Hibbert-Bench-GIF.gif

Railgun
03-15-2014, 10:25 PM
RoseCity's posts in this thread :roll: :roll: :roll:

1987_Lakers
03-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Such a shame what happened to Brandon Roy, he is already becoming forgotten, but 5 years ago he was the league's 3rd best SG behind Kobe & Wade.

livingby3's
03-15-2014, 11:03 PM
U can't crap on this thread because Roy was going to be special in the league too if not for the unfortunate injuries. Kd n Roy could have both be the no.1 at their positions.

Joyner82reload
03-16-2014, 03:37 AM
U can't crap on this thread because Roy was going to be special in the league too if not for the unfortunate injuries. Kd n Roy could have both be the no.1 at their positions.

Roy's absolute ceiling was fringe top 60 all time, if he played for 15~ years, and he would have never been a top 5 player in the league. Durant is projecting to be a borderline top 5 player of all time

JohnFreeman
03-16-2014, 03:39 AM
Roy's absolute ceiling was fringe top 60 all time, if he played for 15~ years, and he would have never been a top 5 player in the league. Durant is projecting to be a borderline top 5 player of all time
In what way? He is going to become another Melo.

Joyner82reload
03-16-2014, 03:45 AM
Freeman, I'm assuming you are following me around as you post in every thread right after me within minutes. You're on my ignore list, so you're just wasting your breath in whatever you're saying. Unless you're not replying to me and in that case disregard this post.

JohnFreeman
03-16-2014, 03:47 AM
Scared of being ethered again?

dunksby
03-16-2014, 04:22 AM
kd should have a better career. hes 6'9 and fast as hell. score from anywhere, 3pt needs a lotta work. defense is good and will get better. he needs to bulk up for sure, and fewer tos.

in his first season he avg 20/4/2/1blk & stl on 1.5 fpg, 3tos, 43fg% and 87ft%. who else as a rookie can get a blk and a steal and not foul out every game? or come close to fouling out? this mother ****er doesnt even know how to foul.

im not downplaying roy, hes also a baller. good rebounder and passer for a sg. he wont be an easy handle but durant is 6'9 and can do wat roy can do and will be able to do a lot more. at least he should, hopefully he doesnt settle for wat he is now. his body is capable of much more

btw, rudy gay and danny granger avg 1blk/stl but gay gets 2.8 fls and granger has 3.6, durant gets 1.5. thats not easy, specially when youre on team thats not that good in the west.
This guy gets it.