PDA

View Full Version : Iverson on being traded: It's a possibility. I wouldn't be upset either way..."

Posterize246
09-26-2008, 12:50 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/24/iverson-says-camby-trade-came-as-kind-of-a-shock/?partner=RSS

Since the Nuggets went into a cost-cutting mode during the summer and traded Marcus Camby to the Clippers for next to nothing, many have wondered: Could Allen Iverson be the next big-dollar player to go?

Including Iverson.

"It's a possibility," Iverson said in an interview Wednesday with the Rocky after working out Wednesday with teammates at the Pepsi Center. "We'll just see what happens. I wouldn't be upset either way because it's a business. . . . The one thing about a trade is when somebody trades for you, they want you. That's what you want as an athlete."

With Iverson, the Nuggets' highest-paid player at $20.84 million, entering the final year of his contract, many believe he could be dealt by the February trading deadline because the Nuggets wouldn't want to risk losing him for nothing when he becomes a free agent in July. He could be very attractive to a team seeking salary-cap room in 2009.

"My agent (Leon Rose) and my manager (Gary Moore), they let me know (being traded is) a possibility," Iverson said. "But that's not something that I concern myself with. I go out and play as hard as I can and whatever happens, happens."

"I don't think that's on the table, but you never know what the league will deliver you," Karl said. "You never know what packages will come your way."

Iverson during the summer was willing to opt out of the final season of his contract and sign a multiyear deal with the Nuggets. His camp even presented the option of Iverson playing for less money this season, but the Nuggets never came back with an offer.

"I was kind of bothered by it," Iverson said. "Being the fact that, from the time that I got here (in December 2006), I gave them everything I had. Obviously, I did some good things. . . . I thought they would at least make an offer for me to turn down. I thought they'd at least offer me a dollar or something.

"But there aren't no hard feelings. I feel like there are good people around here. They have their reasons for why they didn't do anything, just like they got their reasons for what they did with Marcus."

Iverson said he's "set for life" and "obviously . . . would consider" taking a pay cut next season.

"It's a good feeling because this will be the first time that I'll be a free agent," the 33-year-old, 12-year veteran said. "It's something different in my career. . . . Next summer, it's going to be a fun time for me because I get to weigh my options and go wherever I want to go."

20 Dimes A Game
09-26-2008, 12:57 PM
He should go to the Knicks :roll:

Rasheed1
09-26-2008, 01:05 PM
wish he didnt make soo much loot.... We could bring him back .... that would be fun..

ihatetimthomas
09-26-2008, 01:08 PM
The one thing I have always loved about AI is the fact he plays his heart out every single game, regardless of the speculation that surrounds him. He knows this is a business. And he knows the state the Nuggets are in. He has the heart of a warrior. I hope he does well this year and finally gets to really contend for a winning team

Posterize246
09-26-2008, 01:15 PM
If there was any way possible of seeing an Iverson trade midseason to the Rockets, I'd love to see it. Yao/McGrady/Artest/AI:eek:

EricForman
09-26-2008, 01:49 PM
if he drastically tones down his game (to the point that his stats will be pretty pedestrian), he can be a contributor to a contender. But as the "27 point and 8 dime per game" player? He won't help a contender.

bleedinpurpleTwo
09-26-2008, 01:50 PM
one way or another, Iverson will end up with either the Cavs or Heat, with the longshots be Mavs, Spurs.

guy
09-26-2008, 01:54 PM
one way or another, Iverson will end up with either the Cavs or Heat, with the longshots be Mavs, Spurs.

Why do you say that?

guy
09-26-2008, 01:56 PM
if he drastically tones down his game (to the point that his stats will be pretty pedestrian), he can be a contributor to a contender. But as the "27 point and 8 dime per game" player? He won't help a contender.

He has the ability to be a 20/10 player, maybe on low efficiency, but he has had that ability his whole career. It would be great if he can turn into that, but unfortunately I think he's too old and too stuck in his ways.

bleedinpurpleTwo
09-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Why do you say that?

a couple reasons.
because I think that both he and mgmt realize that he is not an ideal fit alongside Melo.
because I think that he realizes that he is unlikely to win a championship anytime soon in Denver (and he's not getting any younger).
because he is an expirer and is clearly looking forward to weighing his options.

unlike some folks here on ISH, I do not believe he is an entirely selfish player. I think he would happily play an appropriate role beside players like Duncan, Lebron, Dirk, etc.

Posterize246
09-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Remember Nick Van Exel back when he was on the Mavs? Dude was such a spark for them off the bench. I can see Iverson in that same type of role somewhere.

Van Exel's Stats With Dallas

27.8 mpg
12.5 ppg
4.3 apg
38% from deep

Seemed like he scored in loads when he was on that team

ihatetimthomas
09-26-2008, 02:24 PM

Do you mean this year, or after his contract ends?

I dont think Iverson is what th Cavs need. They need a post player. And they already have a shoot first point in Mo. I dont think his services would make them much better and essentially they would be renting him for a year.

Nugz could deal AI for Marion, but why would they? They have Melo already at the 3. I would prefer Marion over AI personally for the Heat

Kidd for AI? Josh Howard+Stackhouse for AI? What would they package for him?

Spurs are not getting him this season so lets just rule that one out

guy
09-26-2008, 02:25 PM
a couple reasons.
because I think that both he and mgmt realize that he is not an ideal fit alongside Melo.
because I think that he realizes that he is unlikely to win a championship anytime soon in Denver (and he's not getting any younger).
because he is an expirer and is clearly looking forward to weighing his options.

unlike some folks here on ISH, I do not believe he is an entirely selfish player. I think he would happily play an appropriate role beside players like Duncan, Lebron, Dirk, etc.

I'm pretty sure he won't be in Denver. I was talking about why those teams? I can't see him in San Antonio cause they already have two guards that do the bulk of the scoring, and one of whom is similar to AI in that he's an undersized shoot-first PG, even though AI is not a PG but I'm sure you get the point.

I'm not sure why he would go to Cleveland. They just got Mo Williams who is basically the same type, and Lebron dominates the ball way too much to adapt with AI's style, even moreso then Melo.

In Miami, Wade is basically the same player, just bigger and more efficient. I don't see AI there unless he plays PG. Plus they aren't contenders, and I don't think will be next season.

Dallas is on the decline, although with Kidd at PG, it might be a good fit depending on how much Kidd declines.

AI is my favorite player but I don't know where he'll end up. I think if he could tone down on the scoring and play some PG, he'd be perfect on alot of contending teams like the Rockets, Lakers, Celtics. With his current playing style, the only contending teams I can think of where he could play starting SG and fit is Detroit, Orlando, and Philly (depending on how good they are this year.)

Venja42
09-26-2008, 02:26 PM
What about a buyout??

You think AI would be willing to do so in order to latch onto a contender around February?? And who would be interested??

ihatetimthomas
09-26-2008, 02:28 PM
What about a buyout??

You think AI would be willing to do so in order to latch onto a contender around February?? And who would be interested??

He is more of an asset to the Nugges with his expiring contract than to just buy him out.

Venja42
09-26-2008, 02:31 PM
He is more of an asset to the Nugges with his expiring contract than to just buy him out.

Definitely agree...

But say the deadline passes and the Nuggets wanna try to save a few dollars on the end of their cap. I think its possible . . .

They might try to accommodate him

ihatetimthomas
09-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Definitely agree...

But say the deadline passes and the Nuggets wanna try to save a few dollars on the end of their cap. I think its possible . . .

They might try to accommodate him

Yea I could see something like that happening if they cant get a deal done. I think the key to this whole AI saga is not to rush things and not to make a hasty trade just to get something for him. If he walks, at least they free up cap

guy
09-26-2008, 02:38 PM
What about a buyout??

He's not Marbury.

Richie2k6
09-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Knowing Denver's front office, I would not be surprised i he isn't in Denver next year, or by March. They "traded" Camby, and let Najera and Diawara walk. Sucks to see him have to move again if it happens, but like he said, it's a business. All depends on how Denver does from the beginning to February.

AItheAnswer3
09-26-2008, 03:34 PM
I'd like to see him in Orlando.

bleedinpurpleTwo
09-26-2008, 04:00 PM
I'd like to see him in Orlando.

good call. he would be a good fit.

Kobe681
09-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Knowing Denver's front office, I would not be surprised i he isn't in Denver next year, or by March. They "traded" Camby, and let Najera and Diawara walk. Sucks to see him have to move again if it happens, but like he said, it's a business. All depends on how Denver does from the beginning to February.

When did this happen?!?!? Anyone pick up Najera??? I love that dudes hustle...

miles berg
09-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Id absolutely love to see Dallas get Iverson. I wish we could get him for Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse, & Brandon Bass but I am not delusional. A straight up Kidd for Iverson might be ok, I just hate to lose Kidd. But Iverson is a better fit with Nowitzki and Kidd is a better fit in Denver where he will be reunited with KMart and would be feeding Carmelo shots until Melos arms fall off.

I dunno, on paper Kidd for Iverson makes a ton of sense for both teams. Id welcome Iverson to Dallas, he is the perfect teammate for Nowitzki, they would shine together.

AItheAnswer3
09-26-2008, 04:19 PM
When did this happen?!?!? Anyone pick up Najera??? I love that dudes hustle...

He's with the Nets now.

Meticode
09-26-2008, 04:21 PM
I think he's sensing the Nuggests ship is sinking.

bleedinpurpleTwo
09-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Id absolutely love to see Dallas get Iverson. I wish we could get him for Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse, & Brandon Bass but I am not delusional. A straight up Kidd for Iverson might be ok, I just hate to lose Kidd. But Iverson is a better fit with Nowitzki and Kidd is a better fit in Denver where he will be reunited with KMart and would be feeding Carmelo shots until Melos arms fall off.

I dunno, on paper Kidd for Iverson makes a ton of sense for both teams. Id welcome Iverson to Dallas, he is the perfect teammate for Nowitzki, they would shine together.

How about Kidd AND AI?
Kidd is big enuf and strong enuf to defend the 2.
On offense, Kidd plays 1 and AI plays 2.

I think they are both expirers...I'm guessing both realize they will be taking real pay cuts on their next contracts. Give them both 2 or 3 year deals.

Bring Terry off the bench.

tontoz
09-26-2008, 04:28 PM
I thought they would at least make an offer for me to turn down. I thought they'd at least offer me a dollar or something.

:oldlol:

AItheAnswer3
09-26-2008, 04:28 PM
good call. he would be a good fit.

Howard and AI :bowdown: . Orlando can use some of AI's offense. Though they dont have the pieces to trade for him.

bleedinpurpleTwo
09-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Howard and AI :bowdown: . Orlando can use some of AI's offense. Though they dont have the pieces to trade for him.

and if they dare to double either Howard or AI...boom, it goes to Hedo...or to Rashard. Opponents better rotate damn fast!
That could be a scary lineup.

Prodigy
09-26-2008, 04:35 PM
and if they dare to double either Howard or AI...boom, it goes to Hedo...or to Rashard. Opponents better rotate damn fast!
That could be a scary lineup.

Sweet! But... how are they getting him?

bleedinpurpleTwo
09-26-2008, 04:44 PM

after the season when AI is unrestricted.
unless Orlando has a bunch of expiring contracts and a good young player to offer.

tontoz
09-26-2008, 04:47 PM

Rashard/Cook for Iverson works numbers wise.

ChuckOakley
09-26-2008, 05:06 PM
The only way Denver deals AI is if they get mostly expirers in return. Their goal is to shed salary, like they did in the Camby trade and they still have a $77M payroll this season.

There are only a few team that have the expirers to make it work, then they have to add talent and picks.

NY (Marbury, Rose)
Dallas (Kidd)
Cleveland (Wally, Snow, Varejo)
Miami (Marion)

and maybe some others. Ideally Denver should also look to unload 1 of Nene or Martin since those contracts are also holding back the team. (AI, K-Mart, Nene and Melo alone make $60M)

Personally I would love see AI in Cleveland with LBJ.

Wally
Varejao
West/Gibson
Snow
2#1's

for

AI
K-Mart/Nene
Atkins

CAVS

Mo Williams / Atkins
Iverson / Gibson
LBJ / Kinsey
K-Mart / Hickson
Ilgauskas / Wallace

WOW!

ihatetimthomas
09-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Rashard/Cook for Iverson works numbers wise.

Yea Im sure the Nuggets are looking to take on an even bigger contract for 5 more years.

miles berg
09-26-2008, 06:36 PM
That Rashard Lewis contract has to be the hardest contract in sports to trade. Absolutely horrible contract.

Rockets(T-mac)
09-26-2008, 07:25 PM
If Denver would just like to get expirers for AI, they might as well keep him seeing that he is an expirer himself. They would his star power to keep some fans coming and a chance at the playoffs, while still being able to shed 20 mil at the end of the season.

Now if they can get some kind of young talent, then a trade would be smart, other wise no. But I personally don't think Denver's front office is very smart.

CAVS

Mo Williams / Atkins
Iverson / Gibson
LBJ / Kinsey
K-Mart / Hickson
Ilgauskas / Wallace

WOW!
That bench doesn't look too good, but that starting line-up is insane.

Jordan80
09-26-2008, 07:51 PM
i wouldn't be upset either. the nuggets are at best an 8th seed in the western conference. i don't like iverson very much, but i'd like to see him win a championship before his career is over because of his dedication to the game.

Maniak
09-26-2008, 08:02 PM
CE-?
PF-Michael Beasley
SF-Shawn Marion
SG-Dwyane Wade
PG-Allen Iverson

Not bad on the heat.

CE-Shaq
PF-Amare
SF-Hill
SG-Iverson
PG-Nash

Not bad on the suns.

tontoz
09-26-2008, 08:07 PM
If Denver would just like to get expirers for AI, they might as well keep him seeing that he is an expirer himself.

I don't think some of the people here realize that.

ChuckOakley
09-26-2008, 08:16 PM
If Denver would just like to get expirers for AI, they might as well keep him seeing that he is an expirer himself. They would his star power to keep some fans coming and a chance at the playoffs, while still being able to shed 20 mil at the end of the season.

Now if they can get some kind of young talent, then a trade would be smart, other wise no. But I personally don't think Denver's front office is very smart.

That bench doesn't look too good, but that starting line-up is insane.

That's why in the trade I proposed they also get rid of either Nene's or K-Mart's ridiculous contract as well as landing modest talent (D.West or D.Gibson + 2 #1 picks)

After this season they would have

D.West / Carter
JR Smith
C.Anthony
Klieza / Balkman
Nene / Hunter
+
Thier own drafts picks
2 Cleveland picks
+
Cap space

ihatetimthomas
09-26-2008, 08:25 PM
That Rashard Lewis contract has to be the hardest contract in sports to trade. Absolutely horrible contract.

Its funny because when you think in terms of "untouchable" you think of Lebron, Dwight, etc. But in reality, I think Rashard Lewis is the only true untouchable player, not because of his talent, but because of the ridiculous amount he is making and the longevity of the contract. No GM in their right mind would give up anything for a contract of that magnitude unless they themselves are unloading an even worse mix of contracts. And that would be incredibly stupid and would never happen

Jordandunk23
09-26-2008, 08:28 PM
I dont know if this has been said or pointed out, but im pretty sure it has. At the age of 33, even though he doesnt show signs of slowing down, its human nature that he will. He has accomplished individual success and made his money in the NBA. Is is time for for the championship move and go to a competitive team?

Sureley nobody would give him a big contract after this one expires right? maybe in the 10 mil range? will he be willing to take a lower cut to play for team like San Antonio. Or maybe the time frame is just right to join the last year Boston will be competitive in 2010/11, basically when the big three is on its last leg. I know many argues that Iverson cannot fit as a role player. But his perfect role (as a role player), would be off the bench, give him the ball and give a major offensive boost when needed.

I dont know when that will happen because as i said, there's no signs of slowing down. still quick and aggressive. the question is when his contract is up, what offers can he expect. He is still producing but he would have been in the league around 13 years and he is getting closer to his mid 30's. whats the highest and longest term would a team offer iverson and is he still looking for that or will he take a backseat to a championship team.

I would love to see this guy get a ring before its all said and done and i think he can do that while being a vital part for the team.

Interminator
09-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Remember Nick Van Exel back when he was on the Mavs? Dude was such a spark for them off the bench. I can see Iverson in that same type of role somewhere.

Van Exel's Stats With Dallas

27.8 mpg
12.5 ppg
4.3 apg
38% from deep

Seemed like he scored in loads when he was on that team
But you have to realize that Iverson is on a whole nother level than Van Exel.

Jordan80
09-26-2008, 08:38 PM
honestly i'd like to see if iverson is about winning or stats. i think the nuggets of last year would've been much better to have allen iverson move the ball, play good defense, and score when needed. obviously that didn't happen.

Bean
09-26-2008, 08:38 PM
CE-?
PF-Michael Beasley
SF-Shawn Marion
SG-Dwyane Wade
PG-Allen Iverson

Not bad on the heat.

CE-Shaq
PF-Amare
SF-Hill
SG-Iverson
PG-Nash

Not bad on the suns.

Apart from Amare that would be one old azz Suns first-team.

ihatetimthomas
09-26-2008, 08:39 PM
But you have to realize that Iverson is on a whole nother level than Van Exel.

You also have to realize that AI's stats will take a hit and that he most likely will be less effective in more limited minutes. I think he has the ability to shoot out of scoring slumps bc of the minutes he gets. Scorers take the biggest hit out of all types of players when they get minutes cut. Its just more difficult to get into rhythm

Interminator
09-26-2008, 08:39 PM
CE-?
PF-Michael Beasley
SF-Shawn Marion
SG-Dwyane Wade
PG-Allen Iverson

Not bad on the heat.

CE-Shaq
PF-Amare
SF-Hill
SG-Iverson
PG-Nash

Not bad on the suns.
That Miami team would be horrible due to the fact there would be 3 guys on the court looking to score first and Wade and A.I. can't co-exist since both have similar games,except Wade attacks the basket more.

Iverson on the Suns would be interesting,but Nash is the primary ballhandler who runs the offense.

tontoz
09-26-2008, 08:41 PM
No GM in their right mind would give up anything for a contract of that magnitude unless they themselves are unloading an even worse mix of contracts. And that would be incredibly stupid and would never happen

First of all you have to ask yourself how many GM's are in their right mind. I have been following the Hawks since '93 and IMO we have yet to get a GM in his right mind.

Just this past season we saw Gasol traded for Kwame. If someone had proposed that trade in a thread would you have said "that sounds like a good deal"?

Personally i was stunned when Rashard signed his deal and it is just another example of a GM not in their right mind. I would love to know what went on behind the scenes there.

However the only way Iverson gets traded is if the Nuggets take one or more big contracts in return. There is no way around it. The only teams with cap room that i know of are Memphis and Charlotte and Iverson isn't going there. He isn't getting traded for expirers because he is one.

At this point his ability as a player is secondary to his contract status in terms of trades. No team has any reason to trade for Iverson unless they can get rid of one or more bad contracts.

That's why in the trade I proposed they also get rid of either Nene's or K-Mart's ridiculous contract as well as landing modest talent (D.West or D.Gibson + 2 #1 picks)

Nene's contract isn't that bad for a center assuming he actually stays on the court. Martin's is pretty bad though.

ronnymac
09-26-2008, 08:43 PM
If there was any way possible of seeing an Iverson trade midseason to the Rockets, I'd love to see it. Yao/McGrady/Artest/AI:eek:
not enough shots for that team.Tmac and yao are better. so how would react to differing to them. the fact is AI is only effective when he dominates the ball and chucks up a ton of shots. with the rockets, thats not gonna cut it.

Interminator
09-26-2008, 08:43 PM
You also have to realize that AI's stats will take a hit and that he most likely will be less effective in more limited minutes. I think he has the ability to shoot out of scoring slumps bc of the minutes he gets. Scorers take the biggest hit out of all types of players when they get minutes cut. Its just more difficult to get into rhythm
Why does Iverson have to get limited minutes?

Why are people even suggesting that Iverson should be a 6th man or a bench player?

Iverson is without a doubt the 2nd best SG in the NBA and a Top 10 player in the NBA currently,but just because his contract is up and he doesn't have a Championship ring he now needs to come off the bench and provide a limited role when he is still one of the fastest players in the NBA and one of the top scorers.:confusedshrug:

These suggestions in this thread are stupid.

Iverson will go elsewhere if not Denver,maybe not a contendor and continue to put up great numbers and put fans in the seats.

shaoyut
09-26-2008, 08:44 PM
iverson for macgrady?

Interminator
09-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Can someone seriously suggest to me why Iverson should all of a sudden want a reduced role and ride benches for a Championship when he just put up 26.4/7.1 last season.:confusedshrug:

He's not old,he's still in his prime like Jordan was at 33 and other great players from the past.

Wow this thread is ****ing stupid.

Luigi
09-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Hmm.

Iverson, Nene/Martin, Atkins
for
Hinrich, Hughes, and Gooden

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=1711~1981~356~1713~26~366&teams=7~7~7~4~4~4&te=&cash=

OK, time to defend my terrible idea.
1. Denver doesn't get a ton of expirers, but moving Nene/Martin makes sure they don't get any worse financially.
2. Denver now has roleplayers to build with.

Hinrich/Hughes
Smith/Kleiza
Anthony
Gooden/Anderson
Martin or Nene/Hunter.

That team is BALANCED. Something Denver hasn't seen in a long time. Hinrich and Hughes actually play defense and move the ball. Anthony would look a lot better with that supporting cast.

3. Chicago gets a world class scorer in Iverson, a big upgrade from Ben Gordon (who they can still try to sign and trade for a big man). They would have enough offense for the upcoming season and let Thomas and Noah develop with a vet big man backing them up.

Rose/Atkins
Iverson/Sefolosha
Deng/Nocioni
Thomas/Martin or Nene
Noah/Martine or Nene

Which one works better IYO, Nene or Martin?

ronnymac
09-26-2008, 08:49 PM
iverson for macgrady?
Get the hell out of here. rockets say hell no. the turned down a offer of ri and billups for mcdaddy. what makes you think they would take a inferior offer of iverson. mcgrady>iverson.

Interminator
09-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Hmm.

Iverson, Nene/Martin, Atkins
for
Hinrich, Hughes, and Gooden

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=1711~1981~356~1713~26~366&teams=7~7~7~4~4~4&te=&cash=

OK, time to defend my terrible idea.
1. Denver doesn't get a ton of expirers, but moving Nene/Martin makes sure they don't get any worse financially.
2. Denver now has roleplayers to build with.
Hinrich/Hughes
Smith/Kleiza
Anthony
Gooden/Anderson
Martin or Nene/Hunter.
That team is BALANCED. Something Denver hasn't seen in a long time. Hinrich and Hughes actually play defense and move the ball. Anthony would look a lot better with that supporting cast.
3. Chicago gets a world class scorer in Iverson, a big upgrade from Ben Gordon (who they can still try to sign and trade for a big man). They would have enough offense for the upcoming season and let Thomas and Noah develop with a vet big man backing them up.
Rose/Atkins
Iverson/Sefolosha
Deng/Nocioni
Thomas/Martin or Nene
Noah/Martine or Nene

Which one works better IYO, Nene or Martin?
Martin and Nene are both health risks but Nene is younger but I doubt Denver would part with either at this point since they're so thin in the front court at the 4/5.

Luigi
09-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Martin and Nene are both health risks but Nene is younger but I doubt Denver would part with either at this point since they're so thin in the front court at the 4/5.

They would get Gooden in return though, and shed salary in the process (gooden's 1 year, martin's 3, nene's 4).

Interminator
09-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Get the hell out of here. rockets say hell no.
Both teams would disagree.

Iverson is a better player than McGrady at this point but McGrady is more versatile.

Interminator
09-26-2008, 08:53 PM
They would get Gooden in return though, and shed salary in the process (gooden's 1 year, martin's 3, nene's 4).
Denver would rather move K-Mart but I don't know why Chicago would do this deal being that with that squad they'd only be maybe a 3 seed in the East at Best.

ihatetimthomas
09-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Why does Iverson have to get limited minutes?

Why are people even suggesting that Iverson should be a 6th man or a bench player?

Iverson is without a doubt the 2nd best SG in the NBA and a Top 10 player in the NBA currently,but just because his contract is up and he doesn't have a Championship ring he now needs to come off the bench and provide a limited role when he is still one of the fastest players in the NBA and one of the top scorers.:confusedshrug:

These suggestions in this thread are stupid.

Iverson will go elsewhere if not Denver,maybe not a contendor and continue to put up great numbers and put fans in the seats.

Is he better than Kobe and Wade?

Luigi
09-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Denver would rather move K-Mart but I don't know why Chicago would do this deal being that with that squad they'd only be maybe a 3 seed in the East at Best.

Yeah, I was grabbing at straws to get Chicago to take it. The best I could come up with is that they already have a spot in the offense for an undersized scorer, and AI is an major upgrade.

Both teams are set for a second trade with new partners with Kleiza (playing behind Anthony) and Nocioni (playing behind Deng).

Interminator
09-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Is he better than Kobe and Wade?
1.Kobe
2.A.I.
3.Wade

I am simply amazed at how after the Olympics everyone has returned to believing in D-Wade when just a few months ago people here thought it would be a good deal to trade him in a package deal for the #1 pick.

ihatetimthomas
09-26-2008, 09:03 PM
1.Kobe
2.A.I.
3.Wade

I am simply amazed at how after the Olympics everyone has returned to believing in D-Wade when just a few months ago people here thought it would be a good deal to trade him in a package deal for the #1 pick.

I never thought AI was above Wade as a player. Not for the past few seasons. AI produced more last seaosn bc of Wade being injured but I never thought he was still the better player. And you could get the #1 pick for Wade where there is 0% chance of a team trading AI for a #1 pick.

Interminator
09-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I was grabbing at straws to get Chicago to take it. The best I could come up with is that they already have a spot in the offense for an undersized scorer, and AI is an major upgrade.

Both teams are set for a second trade with new partners with Kleiza (playing behind Anthony) and Nocioni (playing behind Deng).
I just don't think either team should make a move now.

But if Iverson were to be traded I think he would be better off in Charlotte.

Den:Jason Richardson,Nazr Mohammed,Adam Morrison
Char:Allen Iverson

Charlotte would have to add some more veteran pieces to fill out the bench and help out in the front court but Charlotte's current starting line-up is perfect for Iverson.

ronnymac
09-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Both teams would disagree.

Iverson is a better player than McGrady at this point but McGrady is more versatile.

Better scorer, yes, but nowhere near the allround player mcgrady is. mcgrady overall is a better player.most expert have the SG ranking as
Kobe
Wade
McGrady
AI.

I think he is better then gino, but mcgrady and wade are a stretch,

Interminator
09-26-2008, 09:04 PM
I never thought AI was above Wade as a player. Not for the past few seasons. AI produced more last seaosn bc of Wade being injured but I never thought he was still the better player. And you could get the #1 pick for Wade where there is 0% chance of a team trading AI for a #1 pick.
OK.

That's your opinion,like its some people's opinions that Barkley is better than Malone.:confusedshrug:

Interminator
09-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Better scorer, yes, but nowhere near the allround player mcgrady is. mcgeady overall is a better player.
Who the **** is mcgeady?:roll: :roll:

ronnymac
09-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Who the **** is mcgeady?:roll: :roll:

It was a typo.

jbot
09-26-2008, 09:11 PM
he didn't live up to everyone's expectations in DEN. could u imagine him on BOS? :eek:

Jasper
09-26-2008, 09:33 PM
That's exactly where I think he would improve a team - Boston.
If Allen was not their , AI would work much better in pick & roll , pick and pop around Garnett as well as Pierce.
But for any back court to use AI correctly he needs a big tall SG that can play defense.

Posterize246
09-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Can someone seriously suggest to me why Iverson should all of a sudden want a reduced role and ride benches for a Championship when he just put up 26.4/7.1 last season.:confusedshrug:

He's not old,he's still in his prime like Jordan was at 33 and other great players from the past.

Wow this thread is ****ing stupid.
Maybe because we're talking about another year from now? He won't put up 26/7 this year. Maybe 23/7? In the '09-'10 season when he's 34 years old he won't put that up. The reason I made the Van Exel comparison is because Nick was putting up 21/8 at the time he was traded, not too far off from what Iverson will be doing next year.

Luigi
09-26-2008, 09:41 PM
That's exactly where I think he would improve a team - Boston.
If Allen was not their , AI would work much better in pick & roll , pick and pop around Garnett as well as Pierce.
But for any back court to use AI correctly he needs a big tall SG that can play defense.

Guards who would pair well with AI:
Larry Hughes
Kirk Hinrich
Chauncey Billups
Joe Johnson?
Deshawn Stevenson
Jason Kidd?
Tracy McGrady
Raja Bell

I believe AI is most effective playing off the ball. If he could get a big guard that could run an offense and switch on defense so AI guards the point, he could become super effective on both ends.

AItheAnswer3
09-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Maybe because we're talking about another year from now? He won't put up 26/7 this year. Maybe 23/7? In the '09-'10 season when he's 34 years old he won't put that up. The reason I made the Van Exel comparison is because Nick was putting up 21/8 at the time he was traded, not too far off from what Iverson will be doing next year.

How do you know? Are you his agent or something?

dbugz
09-27-2008, 06:37 AM
Go back to East Allen!

Orlando make it happen!! :cheers:

23airjordan23
09-27-2008, 06:39 AM
He better stay away from the suns .

EricForman
09-27-2008, 06:50 AM
He has the ability to be a 20/10 player, maybe on low efficiency, but he has had that ability his whole career. It would be great if he can turn into that, but unfortunately I think he's too old and too stuck in his ways.

Oh there is no doubt in my mind Iverson can put up 20 and 10. My point is, if he goes to any contender in the league and play HIS STYLE OF PLAY and put up his usual 30 and 7 or 28 and 8 or whatever, that contending team probably doesnt improve, and maybe even take a step back.

If he wanna go to a contender and actualy make that team better? He will basically have to drastically tone down his game and put up pedestrian numbers. Like a off the bench energy guy with the second unit, or a pesky passing lane-playing, run-around-the-court-disrupting-everyone-type of players. He'll also help a team as a ball handler who is not the focal point of the offense, someone who'll set up the play and back the hell off, only coming in if the shotclock is winding down and we need someone to creat something.

If he plays the same way he always plays, the ball-dominating, everything-runs-through-me style on the Spurs/Lakers/Suns/Boston/Cavs. They probaly take a step back. His style still help a team lacking the firepower/talent, but not on a team that's already a contender. They already have the firepower, and they have a system that will only be disrupted by a ball stopper.

AItheAnswer3
09-27-2008, 07:24 AM
He better stay away from the suns .

He will. Dont worry.

Posterize246
09-27-2008, 09:35 AM
:wtf: How would his agent know?

I'm as big an AI fan as anyone. I've watched him from the time I was 7. But if you think he's still putting up 26ppg as a 35 year old you're clutchin his nuts a little too hard.

AItheAnswer3
09-27-2008, 09:40 AM

I'm as big an AI fan as anyone. I've watched him from the time I was 7. But if you think he's still putting up 26ppg as a 35 year old you're clutchin his nuts a little too hard.

:lol
You said he wont put up 26/7 THIS year. I dont see why he wont. Unless he gets traded to some team.

Posterize246
09-27-2008, 09:43 AM
You said he wont put up 26/7 THIS year. I dont see why he wont. Unless he gets traded to some team.
It's possible. But I would guess more in the 23ppg range.

Interminator
09-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Exactly.

This has been said every offseaon since he turned 30 that his stats were going to drop off the following season and yet they remain consistent.

Posterize can you explain what makes you believe Iverson's stats will drop?
Iverson was injury-free last season and put in 42 MPG at 32 but all of a sudden after turning 33 he's going to not be able to do it again next season.:roll:

The only way Iverson's scoring stats drop are if he decides to play like a PG this season and with how much he dominates the ball he'd end up putting up a 20/10 season.

Interminator
09-27-2008, 05:00 PM

Jordan put up 28.2 as a 35 year old.

Iverson is the most comparable player to Jordan when it comes to scoring consistency after 30 among players in the NBA.

The main reason why Iverson like Jordan is able to do so is because he hasn't suffered a major knee injury or multiple minor knee injuries in which hes forced to be a jumpshooter and can't drive to the basket.

I think Kobe will probably average 25+ PPg for the next 4 or 5 years as well,unless he suffers a career altering injury.

Nick Van Exel?
And you consider yourself an A.I. fan,dude Nick Van Exel did nothing in his career but retire for him to even be mentioned on this site.

AItheAnswer3
09-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Exactly.

This has been said every offseaon since he turned 30 that his stats were going to drop off the following season and yet they remain consistent.

Posterize can you explain what makes you believe Iverson's stats will drop?
Iverson was injury-free last season and put in 42 MPG at 32 but all of a sudden after turning 33 he's going to not be able to do it again next season.:roll:

The only way Iverson's scoring stats drop are if he decides to play like a PG this season and with how much he dominates the ball he'd end up putting up a 20/10 season.

You state the truth :bowdown:

dj ys
09-27-2008, 08:54 PM
What about Orlando?? Maybe not with a trade but as a cheap free agent he could definitely help their backcourt.

eliteballer
09-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Nick Van Exel did nothing in his career but retire for him to even be mentioned on this site.

Nick Da Quick was one of the best PG's in the NBA in his prime

miles berg
09-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Nick Van Exel was flat out awesome. Very, very underrated player.

Mamba
09-27-2008, 10:10 PM
and i just bought a nuggets iverson jersey:banghead: :violin:

danumber88
09-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Ai on the Cavs give the Cavs lock 1st seed or 2nd seed imo.

Interminator
09-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Nick Da Quick was one of the best PG's in the NBA in his prime
I'm sorry I went overboard with it.

Nick was a decent player but for him to be mentioned in an Allen Iverson thread was flat out disrespectful.

w00terz
09-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Just one thing I want to point out to all the guys suggesting that AI signs to a "championship contender" team and play off the bench:

It doesn't matter that AI is 33 years old, he still leads the league in minutes per game. He hates being taken out of the game and there is no way in hell he will be coming off the bench, at least not this year or next year. Until he starts to slow down (which I'm assuming will happen in the 2009-2010 or 2010-2011 season), he isn't going to play off the bench.

A lot of people on here aren't giving AI enough credit. He's supposed to be slowing down, yet he's still leading the league in MPG, Top 3 in PPG, Top 10 in APG, and Top 10 in SPG.

Why exactly would he play off the bench when he's a better player/scorer than like 95% of the guys in the league? You bring a guy off the bench for limited minutes because he either 1) Isn't effective, 2) Isn't as good as the guy starting in his place or 3) Can't hold up playing big minutes. AI doesn't fit in any of those categories, at least not yet.

Btw, I would really like to see him in Orlando or maybe even Detroit.

Chuck Thou NBA
09-28-2008, 12:00 AM
The Orlando Magic needs a good guard, trading him for Jameer Nelson and some other pieces can make this team tough to beat. They already play solid defense. It can be kind of like the 76ers when they went to the Finals... true the East was weak back then, but this would be close enough to that team.

w00terz
09-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Get the hell out of here. rockets say hell no. the turned down a offer of ri and billups for mcdaddy. what makes you think they would take a inferior offer of iverson. mcgrady>iverson.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Richie2k6
09-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Just one thing I want to point out to all the guys suggesting that AI signs to a "championship contender" team and play off the bench:

It doesn't matter that AI is 33 years old, he still leads the league in minutes per game. He hates being taken out of the game and there is no way in hell he will be coming off the bench, at least not this year or next year. Until he starts to slow down (which I'm assuming will happen in the 2009-2010 or 2010-2011 season), he isn't going to play off the bench.

A lot of people on here aren't giving AI enough credit. He's supposed to be slowing down, yet he's still leading the league in MPG, Top 3 in PPG, Top 10 in APG, and Top 10 in SPG.

Why exactly would he play off the bench when he's a better player/scorer than like 95% of the guys in the league? You bring a guy off the bench for limited minutes because he either 1) Isn't effective, 2) Isn't as good as the guy starting in his place or 3) Can't hold up playing big minutes. AI doesn't fit in any of those categories, at least not yet.

Btw, I would really like to see him in Orlando or maybe even Detroit.
Co-sign.

w00terz
09-28-2008, 12:11 AM

AI is more than capable of putting up bigger numbers than 26/7. He was limited with Denver, especially when we had JR, Melo, Kleiza, and the rest of the gang on the team. AI is a much more prolific scorer than Nick The Quick.

w00terz
09-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Co-sign.

Thanks, bro. Good to see you on here. I'm actually excited that the Nuggets are looking to trade AI. If they get a few defensive pieces and some low post presence in the process, it will also improve the Nugs. It would also give JR some more (much needed) minutes.

Rockets(T-mac)
09-28-2008, 12:46 AM
AI is more than capable of putting up bigger numbers than 26/7. He was limited with Denver, especially when we had JR, Melo, Kleiza, and the rest of the gang on the team. AI is a much more prolific scorer than Nick The Quick.
I agree, the fact that AI can still put up 27 ppg on a team as offensively talented as the Nuggets shows he isn't slowing down an time soon.

ronnymac
09-28-2008, 01:29 AM

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Scoring isnt everything. tmac brings more to the tabel then AI does.it's not just me. most experts have tracy as better to.

Mamba
09-28-2008, 01:32 AM
come back 2 philly as a sixth man

MiseryCityTexas
09-28-2008, 05:43 AM
He should go to the Knicks :roll:

the sad part about it, is that it might actually happen. the chances of this happening are slimmer now since isiah is gone.

i would love to see iverson in a celtics uniform. iverson would be a beast as the sixth man off the bench backing up both guard positions. :eek:

AItheAnswer3
09-28-2008, 06:23 AM
come back 2 philly as a sixth man

I dont want him in Philly but again who the heck am i

AItheAnswer3
09-28-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks, bro. Good to see you on here. I'm actually excited that the Nuggets are looking to trade AI. If they get a few defensive pieces and some low post presence in the process, it will also improve the Nugs. It would also give JR some more (much needed) minutes.

I will miss AI in a Nugz jersey :(

EricForman
09-28-2008, 02:29 PM

I didn't suggest AI should play off the bench for a contender because he is slowing down or becuase he's not capable of playing long minutes.

IT'S BECAUSE HIS GAME IS HARD TO BUILD AROUND AND HIS BALL-DOMINATING, SHOOT-FIRST GAME WILL NOT GEL WITH ANY CONTENDER'S CURRENT SYSTEM.

I'm a Iverson fan, really I am. I made this youtube video comparing him to Rocky a while back and I love his heart and passion, but it's not hating on him to state that his game is nearly impossible to build around.

And his fans will always bring up 2001 to say how he's a winner. That's the ONLY season of his career where he was on a team that wasn't mediocre or flat out bad. OTher than 2001 his team was never a serious threat to do anything. They were either first round exits or completely outclassed/destroyed in the second round. So one season out of what, 12?

What excuses does Iverson still have? You guys claimed he had no help on the Sixers, even though Iggy/Webber/Korver/Dalembert are all solid. They couldn't even make the playoffs in the East with that lineup. And then what happened with the trade with Andre Miller? Andre made all those guys better within one full year. Not that Miller is a better player than Iverson, just that he was a better fit cause he's a pass-first point guard.

And what happened on the Nuggets? the Nuggets from from a 47 win-ish team with a first round exit ceiling without him to a 51 win-ish team with a first round exit ceiling with him. He never geled with Melo, they didn't clash--but they merely co-existed. ISH loves to bash Nash so much but I am sure Nash would have made the Nuggets far better in Iverson's place.

How many of you guys would have called me an idiot if I said "the nuggets will barely improve with Iverson while the Sixers will get better with Andre Miller" right after the trade? You Iverson fans were claiming Nuggets woudl be contenders and the league should be worried. It's been what, a year and half since the trade and everyone in Denver has already given up. It's not all Iverson's fault, but he definitely didn't help them as much as you guys thought he was, right?

Iverson would be a great addition and much help to a team with no firepower and talent. All he does is score so he'll give teams like the OKC Thunder a few wins off his offense. But Iverson wouldn't exactly be a great fit to teams already with talent/firepower (meaning CONTENDERS)

You put Iverson in the starting lineup of the Spurs or Lakers right now, you think that helps them? You think Kobe/Paul/Bynum all get better/easier looks with Iverson as their PG?

You think Chris Paul/Tyson/West all get better wth Iverson at the 2?

please. They wouldn't. If he goes to a contender, the smart coach will put him with the second unit.

(unless he drastically, drastically tones down his game, then he can play in the first unit and contribute. But if he plays his usual game, he's not gonna be helpful in the starting lineup of Suns/Spurs/Jazz/Hornets or Celtics)

Richie2k6
09-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Iverson isn't going to come off the bench for any team in the next 2 or 3 years. He's just too good. Bringing him off the bench would be wasting his talent and last few years of playing all-star basketball. AI can still put up 30/7 if you put him on a team where he's the lone scorer. How many 33 year old guards who slash as much as him in NBA history can you say are capable of doing that? All this talk of bringing him off the bench does not make sense. It's like asking to bring Kobe Bryant off the bench. He and Iverson are not different when you look at it from that perspective. They're both over 30, they're both still playing amazing basketball and they both have been superstars for as long as we can remember. You just don't take a guy whose putting up 26/7 without problems and put him on the bench.

Don't put him on a contender, put him on a fringe contender and let him make them a contender. Put him in Orlando so he can take them to the next level from a 2nd round team to a ECF/Finals team. Put him in Dallas where he can pair up with Dirk and give one last push for a ring as a star. But Boston? San Antonio? Why would their GMs even consider bringing him in? Not because he's not a good player, but because you don't fix what ain't broke. If the Lakers offered Kobe to San Antonio for Duncan, 99% chance San Antonio says no. Because Duncan is better than Kobe? No, because Duncan has led them to 4 rings and has done nothing wrong in the past decade for them to want to ship him off, especially for someone whose almost as old as he is. Danny Ainge is sitting on a cloud of respect and praise for re-building the Celtics dynasty. Why risk all of that and possibly change the chemistry and trade away one of the big 3 for Iverson? There's just no point in altering what is already working.

Iverson won't hurt any team he goes to. They might win less because of on-court chemistry issues, but he doesn't hurt a team. Bringing in a 9x all-star, multiple time all-nba player and first ballot HOFer doesn't hurt a team. It just might not fit in right with the other pieces. You don't think Derrick Rose would want to play next to Iverson for a few years and learn from one of the best guards in league history? Of course he would; any rookie guard would want to play next to one of their idols and a basketball legend. Would it be the best thing for his career when you think about it? Probably not.

AI isn't an idiot. If you put him on a team with Chris Paul, he's not going to dribble as much. He knows Chris Paul is one of the best in the game, he knows Chris Paul runs the Hornets offense and he knows Chris Paul is the center-piece of the team. If you send him to New Orleans he's not going to dribble around for 23 seconds of the shot clock. He's smart enough to know that that would hurt the already-built chemistry, so he would adjust his game to it. He would still play his own attack-the-basket and speed-oriented game, but he wouldn't dribble around like he was a '97 Sixer. He's fully willing and able to give up the ball if that's what's best for the team and I don't know why some people can't understand that already. Watch a Nuggets game. And I mean more than one or two. See how much he passes compared to 5 years ago. He dribbles around, yes, but he's not totally oblivious to his teammates. The man is 33 years old. He understands the game. He doesn't have a rookie's mentality of "I'm going to cross this guy up and try to embarrass him and make a jumpshot to make a highlight reel". Some people don't give him as much credit as he deserves and refer to him as if it's the late 90's.

If you put him in different scenarios he'll show you different variations of what he can do on the court. Put him next to a playmaker and he'll show you he can play off-ball. Put him next to a dominant offensive big and he'll show you he can find him in the post when he's in the paint. Put him next to a shooter and he'll show you he can slash and make the defense collapse and kick it out to the perimeter. The man is not a robot, he knows how to pass and he knows how to adjust his game. He's 33 years old, has been in the league for 12 years and knows what's going on around him. He knows what teams are doing well and what ones aren't and he knows that certain teams have special chemistries so if he went there he would know what and what not to do. If you put him next to Steve Nash, Lebron James, Kevin Garnett and Dwight Howard he's not going to dribble circles around them.

He's a veteran... he knows the league. Some people need to stop making it seem like he doesn't know what the word "adjust" means. He knows all about sacrificing pieces of his game for the better of the team. Go ask Chris Webber and the Nuggets.

EricForman
09-28-2008, 04:27 PM
I'll agree with you that he can turn a semi contender into a contender, like the Magic. But what I don't agree with is...

If you put him in different scenarios he'll show you different variations of what he can do on the court. Put him next to a playmaker and he'll show you he can play off-ball. Put him next to a dominant offensive big and he'll show you he can find him in the post when he's in the paint. Put him next to a shooter and he'll show you he can slash and make the defense collapse and kick it out to the perimeter. The man is not a robot, he knows how to pass and he knows how to adjust his game. .

I'd like to see that. Cause he hasn't done it ever. And it's not as simple as you make it out to be. He's a guy that needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Ask him to play off the ball on the hornets and what does he do? I don't see him being effective at all. Feed a big man in the post? He doesn't have the Nash/Kidd ability to really be a playmaker (I see Iverson's assists the same as Marbury's assists... they dribble dribble dribble and then kick to a shooter who woulda had that same shot without the dribbling. Or he'll drive and then throw it back out to someone for a J. It's not the kind of Nash/Kidd assist where they actually made the basket much easier for the teammate).

I'm not saying he'll hurt teams, but he just doesn't help them nearly as much as someone who's a former MVP and 30 point scorer should. He's a slightly better Gilbert Arenas, HE DOES NOT MAKE TEAMMATES BETTER WHAT SO EVER.

If I told you right after the AI/Andre Miller trade went down that the Nuggets would only improve by like, 4-5 wins and have the same playoff ceilling, and that Andre Miller would make the Sixers better than they were with Iverson, you woulda called me an idiot. AI doesn't make anyone better. The Nuggets with him are only SLIGHTLY better than they were without him, you can't deny that.

Would any other top tier superstar improve a team this little?

Richie2k6
09-28-2008, 04:37 PM
I'd like to see that. Cause he hasn't done it ever.
Because he's never had the chance other than 2 scenarios. He played with Webber and Webber was still capable of putting up good stats next to him. He plays with Melo and shows that he can be effective while not hurting Melo's game.

If I told you right after the AI/Andre Miller trade went down that the Nuggets would only improve by like, 4-5 wins and have the same playoff ceilling, and that Andre Miller would make the Sixers better than they were with Iverson, you woulda called me an idiot.
Actually personally no I wouldn't have. I would have said the Sixers would get way better, but I wouldn't have a problem with someone saying the Sixers would get better. Iverson just wasn't working well there and it was time for a change and Miller was the perfect player to go there. As for making Denver only 4 or 5 wins better, I don't know what I would have said because nobody had any clue as to how well they would mesh and whether they would be a 40 win team or a serious contender.

AI doesn't make anyone better. The Nuggets with him are only SLIGHTLY better than they were without him, you can't deny that.
Their record shows that they're only slightly better. On the court they are much better with him than without. Unless you mean Iverson being there vs Miller being there then yes they're only a bit better. But Iverson being there vs Iverson not being there then of course yes they're much better.

Would any other top tier superstar improve a team this little?
There are plenty of top tier stars that if put in certain situations with certain teams would barely make them win anymore games. It all depends on the scenario. If you switched Wade and AI in Denver they would probably be just like they are now for instance.

09-28-2008, 04:42 PM

I hope to god that happens, as a Laker fan I could officially scratch off Houston as a threat.

guy
09-28-2008, 06:23 PM
If I told you right after the AI/Andre Miller trade went down that the Nuggets would only improve by like, 4-5 wins and have the same playoff ceilling, and that Andre Miller would make the Sixers better than they were with Iverson, you woulda called me an idiot. AI doesn't make anyone better. The Nuggets with him are only SLIGHTLY better than they were without him, you can't deny that.

I think you're overrating the Sixers and what Andre Miller has done there. You make it seem like Philly was the Pistons or Magic last year. They were a below .500 team, and one thing people don't seem to realize is that they were healthier then your average teams ALL YEAR. There 3 best players, Iggy, Miller, and Dalembert didn't miss 1 game. I don't think you can say that for any playoff teams last year. I wouldn't say Philly is better or worse with Miller instead of AI.

ihatetimthomas
09-28-2008, 08:47 PM
I think you're overrating the Sixers and what Andre Miller has done there. You make it seem like Philly was the Pistons or Magic last year. They were a below .500 team, and one thing people don't seem to realize is that they were healthier then your average teams ALL YEAR. There 3 best players, Iggy, Miller, and Dalembert didn't miss 1 game. I don't think you can say that for any playoff teams last year. I wouldn't say Philly is better or worse with Miller instead of AI.

A major reason the 76ers had success last season was due to the growth of their youth. And Andre played an integral part in that. AI commands the ball way too much and that makes it very difficult for youth to develop. Iggy played better upon his departure, and young guns like williams and young wouldn't have as much opportunity with AI. They were very nicely balanced last season, and Millers facilitation and natural pg skills aided int that

ppierce34
09-28-2008, 10:15 PM
While Iggy had a small role while Iverson was in Philly, it wasn't completely on Iverson. You have to remember there was also Webber and Korver on those teams, both of whom saw the ball more than Iggy. Your numbers are naturally going to take a huge leap when you go from 3rd or 4th option to #1. And as a Philly fan Iggy didn't want the role of scorer when Iverson was there, you had to hold a gun to his head to get him to shoot, he was asked if he wanted more plays run for him and he said no. Iverson's style doesn't always blend well with developing young talent, but the idea that young players can't develop with him is exaggerated.

AItheAnswer3
09-29-2008, 06:51 AM
[QUOTE=

guy
09-29-2008, 09:51 AM
A major reason the 76ers had success last season was due to the growth of their youth. And Andre played an integral part in that. AI commands the ball way too much and that makes it very difficult for youth to develop. Iggy played better upon his departure, and young guns like williams and young wouldn't have as much opportunity with AI. They were very nicely balanced last season, and Millers facilitation and natural pg skills aided int that

But is the success they had last year really that different from what they were getting with AI every year? They won only 40 games last year, and this is with their 3 best players not missing ONE GAME. When AI played 70+ games in a season the lowest win total the 76ers had was 38 wins in 2006. That's really not that much of a difference, and if he played 82 games instead of 72 that year, I'm pretty sure Philly would've at least won 40 games that year.

Last year's Sixers are really becoming one of the most overrated teams ever, and I think alot of that is the result of people just trying discredit AI.

ihatetimthomas
09-29-2008, 01:25 PM
But is the success they had last year really that different from what they were getting with AI every year? They won only 40 games last year, and this is with their 3 best players not missing ONE GAME. When AI played 70+ games in a season the lowest win total the 76ers had was 38 wins in 2006. That's really not that much of a difference, and if he played 82 games instead of 72 that year, I'm pretty sure Philly would've at least won 40 games that year.

Last year's Sixers are really becoming one of the most overrated teams ever, and I think alot of that is the result of people just trying discredit AI.

In the wins dept, they would probably be about the same. But Miller really helped the developement of the youth players and I think it will show this coming year. I think Miller helped improved the team as a whole. But win record would likely be similar but their young players were able to gain some valuable experience. Not trying to discredit. I just call it as I see it. AI isnt exactly known for making teammates better

guy
09-29-2008, 01:35 PM
In the wins dept, they would probably be about the same. But Miller really helped the developement of the youth players and I think it will show this coming year. I think Miller helped improved the team as a whole. But win record would likely be similar but their young players were able to gain some valuable experience. Not trying to discredit. I just call it as I see it. AI isnt exactly known for making teammates better

I'm not saying Miller has nothing to do with it, but younger players like Iggy and Dalembert were naturally going to get better with age. I did say the wins wouldn't be that different, I'm just saying I don't understand the whole notion that Philly is BETTER with Miller instead of AI. Maybe there not worse, but I don't get how they're better. Now of course next year I think the team will improve as a whole, cause Brand is there. I'm not necessarily saying you are trying to discredit AI, but the common perception around here that Philly is better without AI mostly stems from people trying to discredit the man.