PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know when highschools hold basketball tryouts?

Zak
09-27-2008, 09:05 AM
I currently live in Saudi Arabia, but i'm moving to Sugarland, Texas in December. The basketball season is messed up here and doesn't start untill really late in the year, but when do the basketball tryouts usually happen at highschools in the states. I'm in 9th grade, so i'd be trying out for the freshman team i guess. I played against some of the incoming freshman to the highschool i'm going to during the summer, and according to the people at the other schools that have played against the school i'm going to, they suck and apparently i would have a good chance of making it.

End long story, anyone know?

Thanks.

ABPrints
09-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Usually mid October here in Florida.

Depends on the school too. If the turnout is low, they more than likely will welcome you if you miss the first week or miss when "tryouts" are.

Fallguy20
10-04-2008, 01:12 AM
Ive had November 11th circled on my callendar for quite some time now...

If I were you and I knew for sure which highschool I was to attend when I did move, I would find a way to get in touch with the head coach of that school through email. I wouldnt make myself out to be anything special (even if I was) but just let him know that I was coming. Im sure that would impress the hell out of him and forgive missing the first half of the season.

Zak
10-04-2008, 08:11 AM
So can someone explain how this team thing works? There is a varsity team, a jv team, and a freshman a team/b team?

And every other school in the district has the same? and you compete against the same team as yours?

Maniak
10-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Adding to Zaks question, can a player who would be on a grade 9 level team if he was good enough be able to go on a grade 12 level team?

or is that against some rules?

ABPrints
10-04-2008, 11:47 AM
That si a lot of teams for one school. But generally, freshmen a team is better than b team. JV is sophs and Juniors, those that didn't make the varsity. and yes, you would play against your level.

Maniak, some schools have "rules" for that, sometimes the varisty coach has "rules" against it. Here, it is a coaches decision, but I don't think I have ever seen a freshman play varisty here in basketball and only once in american football.

Fallguy20
10-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Maniak, some schools have "rules" for that, sometimes the varisty coach has "rules" against it. Here, it is a coaches decision, but I don't think I have ever seen a freshman play varisty here in basketball and only once in american football.

At my school, our coaches have a habbit of having one freshman on varsity just as a long term project... You can do it, but whats the point of being on varsity if your going to ride the bench?
:confusedshrug:

Maniak
10-04-2008, 01:55 PM
At my school, our coaches have a habbit of having one freshman on varsity just as a long term project... You can do it, but whats the point of being on varsity if your going to ride the bench?
:confusedshrug:

If you made Varsity younger youd probably good enough not to be ridin the bench :D

Fallguy20
10-05-2008, 03:06 AM
If you made Varsity younger youd probably good enough not to be ridin the bench :D

:rolleyes:
I came into the varsity spot as a junior and led the team in points, rebounds and steals... the freshman, the other freshman (then sophmore) and the freshman before him (then junior) all rode pine because everybody else had experience leading a team and playing against competition they could effectively expand their game against. Our most recent freshman will become starting pg (yes, he is actually rather good), however he is the only one in the past five years that has or will play significant minutes by their senior year.

dwight20-20
10-18-2008, 04:59 PM
:rolleyes:
I came into the varsity spot as a junior and led the team in points, rebounds and steals... the freshman, the other freshman (then sophmore) and the freshman before him (then junior) all rode pine because everybody else had experience leading a team and playing against competition they could effectively expand their game against. Our most recent freshman will become starting pg (yes, he is actually rather good), however he is the only one in the past five years that has or will play significant minutes by their senior year.

well if a player isnt quite ready for varsity then the coach can put him on JV and let him suit of varsity where he would get playing time every now and then. that way he is still playing a lot on jv and getting some varsity experience.

Russian Rocket
10-19-2008, 12:11 PM
In Soviet Russia, tryouts hold you!

KeylessEntry
10-25-2008, 05:03 AM
I currently live in Saudi Arabia, but i'm moving to Sugarland, Texas in December. The basketball season is messed up here and doesn't start untill really late in the year, but when do the basketball tryouts usually happen at highschools in the states. I'm in 9th grade, so i'd be trying out for the freshman team i guess. I played against some of the incoming freshman to the highschool i'm going to during the summer, and according to the people at the other schools that have played against the school i'm going to, they suck and apparently i would have a good chance of making it.

Thanks.

My brother who is a high school freshman had his bball tryouts last week. I expect most schools are holding tryouts sometime within the next 30 days, but it varies from school to school.

ClutchCityReturns
10-27-2008, 06:02 PM

Thanks.

I live in Houston, TX and Sugarland is essentially a section of Houston. From what I remember, my school had tryouts in like the first or second week of October, and our first game was in the first or second week of November. Looking at my old school's schedule for this year, they are starting on November 15th, but have scrimmages on the 3rd and 10th.

Hope that helps.

Zak
10-28-2008, 07:56 AM
I live in Houston, TX and Sugarland is essentially a section of Houston. From what I remember, my school had tryouts in like the first or second week of October, and our first game was in the first or second week of November. Looking at my old school's schedule for this year, they are starting on November 15th, but have scrimmages on the 3rd and 10th.

Hope that helps.

What highschool do you go to? I'm gonna be going to clements, if you recognize that school name.

ClutchCityReturns
10-31-2008, 12:26 AM
What highschool do you go to? I'm gonna be going to clements, if you recognize that school name.

Yeah I know Clements. I went to Dobie, a couple of years before Gerald Green came through there (before his transfer to Gulf Shores).