PDA

View Full Version : McGrady says shoulder arthritic, knee slow to heal

gts
09-29-2008, 07:49 PM
McGrady says shoulder arthritic, knee slow to heal

By CHRIS DUNCAN, AP Sports Writer
9 minutes ago

HOUSTON (AP)—The Houston Rockets, buzzing about the arrival of Ron Artest, already have injury concerns with Tracy McGrady.

Houston’s leading scorer said Monday that his left shoulder is arthritic and will require surgery after this season. He also said his left knee is healing slower than expected from surgery in the spring.

McGrady sprained his shoulder against Sacramento on March 24, and wore padding to protect it for the rest of the season. He had surgery in May to clear loose tissue in his shoulder and knee. He said his knee is “probably 75-80 percent” healthy and will take another two months to fully heal.

McGrady said an MRI revealed the arthritis in his shoulder.

“That’s something I’ve got to deal with again this season,” said McGrady, who averaged 21.6 points last season and was selected third-team all-NBA. “My knee should be ready to go by opening night.”

McGrady said the shoulder injury was not going to keep him out of practices or games, but added that, “it’s going to bother me.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Am3PWg3rGrabfFhM2fOiFOi8vLYF?slug=ap-rockets-mcgrady&prov=ap&type=lgns

Rockets(T-mac)
09-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Great now he can play with injuries from the beginning of the season. This is new.....:ohwell::ohwell::banghead:

ronnymac
09-29-2008, 07:57 PM
A fully healthy mcgrady is never gonna be seen again. so i'll gladly take a 80
% fit tracy from here on.gotta remember he was in a much worse shape last season and still managed 27 in the playoffs.

Jimmy2k8
09-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Well go figure. Perhaps a healthy Mcgrady will never be seen again in the future.

I am calling it: Mcgrady misses 10-16 games this season.

ronnymac
09-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Well go figure. Perhaps a healthy Mcgrady will never be seen again in the future.

You just figured that out?.

Jordandunk23
09-29-2008, 08:16 PM
you know alot of people knock on mcgrady but its not his fault he hets injured alot. unlucky. like grant hill but not as drastic. and when he comes back form injury, he isnt 100% going into the playoffs. he's injured and beat up...

im not trying to make excuses for the guy or being a homer because when weve lost ive put the blame on him. its just that people have gone as far as saying he's not a top 10 SG in the league.

Luigi
09-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Gotta feel bad for the Rockets. Artest will help alleviate any pressure TMac feels to hurry back to game time. But you gotta wonder, with Battier and TMac banged up from the get go, and the possibility of post olympic Yao...

Goes to show franchises (Orlando) that when you have a young superstar, the time to make a winning team is now instead of trying to build around them for a few years and then going for it. (Cleveland?)

gts
09-29-2008, 08:28 PM

I am calling it: Mcgrady misses 10-16 games this season.lol way to go out on a limb there...

ihatetimthomas
09-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Its really sad to see a player of Tracy McGrady's caliber break down at such an early stage. Unfortunately, this likely will begin the real decline of T-Mac. That arthritic shoulder is not something that just goes away. Its going to linger in and out of him for the rest of his career. I heard a few years back that T-Mac has a back condition and people said it would likely be the reason he retires. I have no link, its just something I vaguely remember hearing. Wish the best to him, I hate to see great players decline earlier than they should

Luigi
09-29-2008, 08:45 PM
A fully healthy mcgrady is never gonna be seen again. so i'll gladly take a 80
% fit tracy from here on.gotta remember he was in a much worse shape last season and still managed 27 in the playoffs.

He has done pretty well playing injured, especially last season.

Adelman's really gotta make a rotation where nobody plays more than 36 minutes all regular season long.

hoopaddict08
09-29-2008, 08:47 PM
I would love to see Mcgrady get a ring and stay healthy for a season, but unfortunately injuries are all to common in the world of sports and you just have to deal with them. It's too bad you can't just turn injuries off like in NBA 2k8. :(

Rockets(T-mac)
09-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Its really sad to see a player of Tracy McGrady's caliber break down at such an early stage. Unfortunately, this likely will begin the real decline of T-Mac. That arthritic shoulder is not something that just goes away. Its going to linger in and out of him for the rest of his career. I heard a few years back that T-Mac has a back condition and people said it would likely be the reason he retires. I have no link, its just something I vaguely remember hearing. Wish the best to him, I hate to see great players decline earlier than they should Yeah every McGrady fan knows this feeling, it's like he never gets a break. And he has a chronic back problem, not sure about the details, but he has had minimal problems with it the last 2 years because of this special doctor he saw. But of course knowing his luck he started getting injuries to his knee, elbow and shoulder.

Injuries really do suck ass. :banghead:

I would love to see Mcgrady get a ring and stay healthy for a season, but unfortunately injuries are all to common in the world of sports and you just have to deal with them. It's too bad you can't just turn injuries off like in NBA 2k8. :(
lol I would kill for that power.

ronnymac
09-29-2008, 08:55 PM
He has done pretty well playing injured, especially last season.

Adelman's really gotta make a rotation where nobody plays more than 36 minutes all regular season long.
Personally think with the addition of artest, there will be games where mcgrady depending on matchups might play around 25 minutes. adelman knows mcgrady has the ability to start scoring big points in the playoffs, but it's paramount to keep him somewhat healthy and fresh till then. expect mcgrady's minutes to reduce.

guy
09-29-2008, 09:53 PM
If T-Mac got the surgery now, how much of the season would he miss?

GMAC
09-29-2008, 09:57 PM
As long as everybody's on the court come playoff time

SourGrapes
09-29-2008, 10:19 PM

probably too much to justify the procedure at this point. i doubt the organization is careless about this stuff.

ronnymac
09-29-2008, 10:22 PM
3 to 4 months.

ronnymac
09-29-2008, 10:33 PM
I would seriously contemplate the notion of bringing him off the bench. that would reduce the minutes and it will help our 2nd unit.

Starters
Alston
Artest
Battier
Scola
Yao

Bench

McGrady
barry
Brooks
Hayes
Landry
Francis

SourGrapes
09-29-2008, 10:37 PM
I would seriously contemplate the notion of bringing him off the bench. that would reduce the minutes and it will help our 2nd unit.

Starters
Alston
Artest
Battier
Scola
Yao

Bench

McGrady
barry
Brooks
Hayes
Landry
Francis

that definitely deserves consideration. you could work him up to peak form for the playoffs.

ronnymac
09-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Exactly. that would also smaller the burden on his allready fragile body.

Luigi
09-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Personally think with the addition of artest, there will be games where mcgrady depending on matchups might play around 25 minutes. adelman knows mcgrady has the ability to start scoring big points in the playoffs, but it's paramount to keep him somewhat healthy and fresh till then. expect mcgrady's minutes to reduce.

Just what the doctor ordered.

Plus, in Adelman's offense, it would be nice to keep all the swingmen fresh and active on the court with regular rotations. Barry should see some time.

ronnymac
09-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Just what the doctor ordered.

Plus, in Adelman's offense, it would be nice to keep all the swingmen fresh and active on the court with regular rotations.

Exactly. lets be honest, even with the addition of the 4th best small forward in the league in artest, our chances in the playoffs still hinges on our best overall player in mcgrady. if we wanna compete with the big boys like la, utah, spurs and the hornets, he needs to be fresh for the playoffs. thats why i would even contemplate the notion of bringing him off the bench to lighten the burden.

June1026
09-29-2008, 11:22 PM
damn, it's pretty hard being a mac fan nowadays, just when you think things are going for the better ... ... well, since he played injure last season, if he can just do what he did last season with slightly better percentages, i will be more than satisfied.

stephanieg
09-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Imagine how incredible Houston would be if McGrady was still producing like he did in Orlando. Whatever the cause, he certainly took a dive in his efficiency (FG% and FT%) starting in 03-04 (45.7% to 41.7%) and he never really recovered. I don't get it though since his rebounding and assists are about the same, you'd think a banged up back would hurt your boards more than your shooting...but I wouldn't know I guess.

Rockets(T-mac)
09-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Exactly. lets be honest, even with the addition of the 4th best small forward in the league in artest, our chances in the playoffs still hinges on our best overall player in mcgrady. if we wanna compete with the big boys like la, utah, spurs and the hornets, he needs to be fresh for the playoffs. thats why i would even contemplate the notion of bringing him off the bench to lighten the burden.
I think bringing him off the bench would make it harder for him to find a groove, but I think that with Artest, McGrady and Yao they will all have less minutes in the regular season, kind of like the Celtics did to KG, Allen and Pierce. Instead of 37 minutes for T-mac like last year, it should be under 35. Yao should be 32ish and Artest should be 30-35. This way we should be able to rest up our stars in the regular season, enough. But if bringing McGrady off the bench would have him healthy for the playoffs then do it.

Chrono90
09-29-2008, 11:35 PM
feel bad for the guy. he can be so good

Solid Snake
09-30-2008, 02:10 AM
I never blame people for their injuries, but phukk him. I blame HIM for his injuries. Tracy Tree-Sap Mcgrady. The man with no heart. The man that can't get past the first round. And look how phukking FAT he's gotten, compared to AI, Kobe, Pierce, and other people that came out around the same time (or came in I should say, into the league).

I'm gonna make a prediction right now. IF his team fails to make it out of the first round this year, AND if they go out in embarrassing fashion, he will RETIRE. I guarantee this, he's a quitter, so it only fits.

You can quote me on this, including the part where I said you can quote me on this.

bdreason
09-30-2008, 02:23 AM
Rockets don't win anything without T-Mac.

I'm sure T-Mac is a warrior, and wants to play every game....

but the injury excuse just doesn't cut it anymore.

Why didn't he get surgery the day the season ended? Why wait until one month before the season starts and announce you have a shoulder injury that needs surgery?

ihatetimthomas
09-30-2008, 02:26 AM

Why didn't he get surgery the day the season ended? Why wait until one month before the season starts and announce you have a shoulder injury that needs surgery?

Because surgery would have been a long rehab and many times, players have surgery as a last resort. Im sure he was just hoping that non surgery therapy would help and it would heal on its own. Just doesnt work out the way you want it to every time.

MiseryCityTexas
09-30-2008, 02:27 AM
you know alot of people knock on mcgrady but its not his fault he hets injured alot. unlucky. like grant hill but not as drastic. and when he comes back form injury, he isnt 100% going into the playoffs. he's injured and beat up...

im not trying to make excuses for the guy or being a homer because when weve lost ive put the blame on him. its just that people have gone as far as saying he's not a top 10 SG in the league.

rockets should really do a better job of monitering mcgrady's and yao's minutes. it wouldn't be so hard to do actually, but shane battier is injured too.:mad:

White Chocolate
09-30-2008, 02:45 AM
At this point, if McGrady can play at just 75% of his peak, Houston should be happy. McGrady playing 70 games and averaging 24/5/4 on 45% from the field would be like a Christmas present.

DCL
09-30-2008, 03:52 AM
t-mac might have a tendency to exaggerate some injuries though. some guys never reveal they're hurt. don't know why t-mac loves telling the whole world he's hurt all the time.

ronnymac
09-30-2008, 06:03 AM

He did have the surgery the very next day that the season ended. during the surgery, the doctors foundout he had farthar complications.

ronnymac
09-30-2008, 06:05 AM
I never blame people for their injuries, but phukk him. I blame HIM for his injuries. Tracy Tree-Sap Mcgrady. The man with no heart. The man that can't get past the first round. And look how phukking FAT he's gotten, compared to AI, Kobe, Pierce, and other people that came out around the same time (or came in I should say, into the league).

I'm gonna make a prediction right now. IF his team fails to make it out of the first round this year, AND if they go out in embarrassing fashion, he will RETIRE. I guarantee this, he's a quitter, so it only fits.

You can quote me on this, including the part where I said you can quote me on this.

Yeah it's his fault that his shoulder is messed up. damn you're a moron. he was playing a collective amount of injuries last season that most players would call it quits. hyet he persisted despite the pain. before you spew the utter nonsense you did, think. THINK. dumbass.

ronnymac
09-30-2008, 06:08 AM
I think bringing him off the bench would make it harder for him to find a groove, but I think that with Artest, McGrady and Yao they will all have less minutes in the regular season, kind of like the Celtics did to KG, Allen and Pierce. Instead of 37 minutes for T-mac like last year, it should be under 35. Yao should be 32ish and Artest should be 30-35. This way we should be able to rest up our stars in the regular season, enough. But if bringing McGrady off the bench would have him healthy for the playoffs then do it.
The point is with or without coming off the bench, his minutes need to be cut down. i'm not all that worried. remember, it was his knee that was holding him back last season. by all reports the knee is fine. he can manage the shoulder. remember the 40 points game against utah. he can handle the shoulder pain.

EricForman
09-30-2008, 06:26 AM

way to go out on a limb

EricForman
09-30-2008, 06:29 AM

Rockets haven't won nothing with Tmac either.

CakeorDeath
09-30-2008, 06:29 AM
don't know why t-mac loves telling the whole world he's hurt all the time.

Its quite simple, really. It gives him an excuse if he fails. He realizes that with the talent the organization has piled around him, he absolutely MUST makes some noise in the postseason this year, or he may lose almost all credibility as a top-tier star you can build around. Expectations have never been higher (which is saying something, because every year is supposedly the year the Rockets finally stay healthy and win it all) but, as usual in situations like this, the potential consequences/fall from grace has never been never been greater, either. I'm not saying he's not hurt, but it is much better for him to say he's injured now than in a postgame interview after they lose an early series (if that happens).

It has to suck being a Rockets fan. Its like getting a toy you're not allowed to take out of the box. Then again, being a Jazz fan sucks too; that's like getting a toy out of the box only to find that the one accessory that would make it really fun is sold separately, and your parents won't ever buy it for you.

ronnymac
09-30-2008, 06:34 AM
Its quite simple, really. It gives him an excuse if he fails. He realizes that with the talent the organization has piled around him, he absolutely MUST makes some noise in the postseason this year, or he may lose almost all credibility as a top-tier star you can build around. Expectations have never been higher (which is saying something, because every year is supposedly the year the Rockets finally stay healthy and win it all) but, as usual in situations like this, the potential consequences/fall from grace has never been never been greater, either. I'm not saying he's not hurt, but it is much better for him to say he's injured now than in a postgame interview after they lose an early series (if that happens).

It has to suck being a Rockets fan. Its like getting a toy you're not allowed to take out of the box. Then again, being a Jazz fan sucks too; that's like getting a toy out of the box only to find that the one accessory that would make it really fun is sold separately, and your parents won't ever buy it for you.

He is to honest. sometimes you need to spin it. throw in a white lie. but he says like how it is. thats unfortunate.

CakeorDeath
09-30-2008, 06:48 AM
He is to honest. sometimes you need to spin it. throw in a white lie. but he says like how it is. thats unfortunate.

He's just protecting himself, can't expect more from him than that. Given his recent run of playoff frustrations, I'm not surprised that at the dawn of one of the most anticipated Rockets seasons in history, he's revealing this kind of info. It's almost like a plea for the media/fans not to get ahead of themselves, not to start thinking about rings in October. I think he's simply asking fans to take it one game at a time, and with the injury history this team has, that's not a bad outlook to have.

ronnymac
09-30-2008, 07:34 AM
He's just protecting himself, can't expect more from him than that. Given his recent run of playoff frustrations, I'm not surprised that at the dawn of one of the most anticipated Rockets seasons in history, he's revealing this kind of info. It's almost like a plea for the media/fans not to get ahead of themselves, not to start thinking about rings in October. I think he's simply asking fans to take it one game at a time, and with the injury history this team has, that's not a bad outlook to have.
Most rockets fans know that nothing is a given.

T-GG
09-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Injuries suck,I would love to see how good T-Mac really can be without those damn injuries,he'd be probably averaging 29 ppg,and could compete with koBe and LbJ..

CakeorDeath
09-30-2008, 07:40 AM
Most rockets fans know that nothing is a given

Check out any basketball article on the web where readers can post comments or check out any non-ISH Rockets fanboard and then see if you still agree with your own comment.

Commens from Rockets fans on the internet currently read like a girls gone wild video. Except replace "Spring Break!" with "Rockets all the way!" all the "Whoo!" with emoticons, all the flashing of boobies with pictures of Artest in his new Houston uniform, and all the disappointed fathers with fans of other teams.

brantonli
09-30-2008, 08:55 AM

I actually will be happy with this number, 10 games means he plays 72 game,s which is a decent amount.

Richie2k6
09-30-2008, 03:43 PM
If it's another first round exit I really don't see why the Rockets would want to keep McGrady around for the following season. They're just going no where.

picc84
09-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Tmac coming off the bench for Shane Battier.

lol

TmacsRockets
09-30-2008, 04:50 PM
What more do you expect from the best player in the league?

Seriously, he is just doing this so that we can fly under the radar.

ihatetimthomas
09-30-2008, 05:17 PM

No.

Jimmy2k8
09-30-2008, 06:55 PM

I beg your pardon? I thought Kobe Bryant was the best player in the league atm?

Rockets(T-mac)
09-30-2008, 07:05 PM

You're such an ass clown.

TMac&Luther
09-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Check out any basketball article on the web where readers can post comments or check out any non-ISH Rockets fanboard and then see if you still agree with your own comment.

Commens from Rockets fans on the internet currently read like a girls gone wild video. Except replace "Spring Break!" with "Rockets all the way!" all the "Whoo!" with emoticons, all the flashing of boobies with pictures of Artest in his new Houston uniform, and all the disappointed fathers with fans of other teams.

So your telling me that Rockets fans are excited about the season on Houston Rockets' message boards........wow, ground breaking.

As far as McGrady's shoulder, don't really care about it (hell I have a arithic shoulder...not that big of a deal), that's what they make cortisone shots for.

I'm more concerned about the knee, hopefully he can get it ready to go soon.

ronnymac
09-30-2008, 08:37 PM
I beg your pardon? I thought Kobe Bryant was the best player in the league atm?
I personally thinl lbj is, but thats besides the point. noway mcgrady is the best. nowhere near it.

Jimmy2k8
09-30-2008, 08:39 PM
I personally thinl lbj is, but thats besides the point. noway mcgrady is the best. nowhere near it.

Tmacsrockets will probably bring up his usual PER argument and some excuses as to why Mcgrady is the best player in the league.

ronnymac
09-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Tmacsrockets will probably bring up his usual PER argument and some excuses as to why Mcgrady is the best player in the league.

He reminds of that dumbass, ""yaotmackobe" clown who was obssesed with proving yao was better then howard and tracy was a point forward.

Prodigy
09-30-2008, 11:46 PM
What more do you expect from the best player in the league to never make it out of the first round?

There we go.

ShowTime LA
09-30-2008, 11:52 PM
You just figured that out?.
:oldlol: :oldlol:

CakeorDeath
10-01-2008, 08:09 PM
So your telling me that Rockets fans are excited about the season on Houston Rockets' message boards........wow, ground breaking.

Actually, I was saying something entirely different, but in order to understand what that was you'd actually have to read, and then think.

Dat1
11-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Even in Orlando McGrady's back was hurtin and he still averaged 30+ points a game. He is cold healthy or not.

Mdog1
11-09-2008, 08:40 PM
LOL at TMac being the best player. He may be top five but not 1 lol. In this order 1.LBJ, 2.KB, 3.CP, 4.DWade, 5.Howard/TMac/Amare.

Any way TMac doesn't look that bad this year so it's not like his health is going to act up this early. It's later on in the season that his health will effect play.

LA.MJ&KB#1
11-12-2008, 02:22 PM
No.

NOT

bokes15
11-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Rockets fans, I feel for you. I remember the days of Vince Carter when everytime he stepped on the court, win or lose, I would breathe a sigh of relief when he walked off without an injury. It absolutely sucks to have a player like that, although I find T-mac's injuries to be more legitimate. The guy just seems really fragile.. I mean think about it, look at his injury history and he's not even 30 yet.. unbelievable.