PDA

View Full Version : Shaq in best condition going into training camp!

GreatHILL
09-30-2008, 10:53 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/7c/fullj.d85e1b7ed463627af28e230af8babd52/d85e1b7ed463627af28e230af8babd52-getty-82921743bg006_suns_media.jpg

[QUOTE]Shaquille O'Neal said he weighs about the same (330-335 pounds) as he did in his first NBA championship season.

He's well aware that he is 36.

"Yeah, I'm old, but I can still do what I do," he said.

And as for that plan to retire when the Suns are done paying him $21 million for each of the next two seasons: "I may get another deal. I may say I don't want to play anymore. You got that window. The window's closing. You've got to get it done now. No excuses."

As O'Neal blows up assumptions that he is overweight, in age denial and counting down to retirement, he might as well flip the script on reviews of the Suns' trade for him.

"It would've been a hell of a Cinderella story for me playing 30 games and for us to get it done," O'Neal said. "When you talk about winning championships, it really doesn't work out like that. What Boston showed is if you put a lot guys together and go through a whole year uninterrupted, anything is possible."

The Suns are banking on the full-season theory when it comes to O'Neal. The hope is that the team is better for having him from today's start of camp and that new coach Terry Porter's system will suit him better.

The offense will be more traditional and deliberate at times, but that is low on the O'Neal priorities. The Suns have scorers galore. They need him to improve a defense that Porter said must be among the top five in the NBA to win a title.

"From a focal standpoint, that's going to change for us in order to be successful," said Porter, whose system will be more like the one that O'Neal played in with the Lakers.

There will be less space for O'Neal or any Suns player to cover as Porter puts in a simpler formula of sending dribblers to the baseline rather than the paint.

"The big guys have to rotate and be very alert and cut off angles," Suns General Manager Steve Kerr said. "The guards have to be able to trust the big guys behind them. Robin (Lopez) will be very good at it, and Shaq will be good at it. That's where he's at his best defensively, when he doesn't have to cover too much ground on the perimeter and he can guard the rim. We want post defense so we're not vulnerable against Tim Duncan, Yao Ming, Al Jefferson and the guys who were killing us last year."

O'Neal might play fewer minutes than the 29 he averaged with the Suns. He will form a lane-clogging tandem with Lopez, but Porter also will go with Amar

Maniak
09-30-2008, 10:55 AM
The top pic is so cool.

Im loving the cockyness! A motivated Shaq this year better mean big things for Planet Orange

loot
09-30-2008, 11:01 AM
and shaq and amare only differ 2 inches?

Hammertime
09-30-2008, 11:02 AM
In related news, Metallica claim their new album is their best yet. Apparently, they've really grown as a band and the songs will showcase their ever increasing awesomeness.

DuMa
09-30-2008, 11:03 AM
amare at center and diaw at pf? thats sad.

loot
09-30-2008, 11:04 AM
btw shaq's always pointing fingers at people when he leaves a team. pretty sad

RidonKs
09-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Certainly doesn't seem that way, does it?

In related news, Metallica claim their new album is their best yet. Apparently, they've really grown as a band and the songs will showcase their ever increasing awesomeness.
:oldlol:

3stat2
09-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Nash's hairstyle looks horrible. When Shaq first came to Phoenix, he was measured by the team doctor at 321 pounds and 11% body fat. So he's a bit bigger than back then. But it's not too bad, he doesn't have a stomach bulge and his face isn't fat. Amare looks pretty normal. I've always suspected he isn't actually 6'10. Look at him next to Lebron. Maybe VCMVP1551 can enlighten us. I wonder if he's gonna keep wearing that sleeve the whole season.

Occasionally I can't help but wish it it was still this instead:
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9505/2005sunsallstarsgn9.jpg
Oh well

picc84
09-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Wow. Amare looks not that much taller than Nash in the first pic. Angles will do that I guess.

ihatetimthomas
09-30-2008, 11:21 AM

He does tend to do this. He has been one to have the utmost confidence in his game and team when he is playing but has been quick to point the finger once he departs. I remember him taking shots at the Heat bench when he left

plowking
09-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Damn, Amare looks tiny next to Shaq. On the court compared to other guys he looks huge. Though when put next to Shaq, even the biggest of people are dwarfed.

Hammertime
09-30-2008, 11:27 AM
I remember him taking shots at the Heat bench when he left

Have you seen the Heat bench? I don't know how half those guys get past the security at away arenas. Who in their right mind would believe that Chris Quinn is an NBA player and not a systems analyst from San Diego trying to sneak into the locker room and get Wade's John Hancock?

ikoiko
09-30-2008, 11:31 AM
nash needs to cut that faux-mullet gay purse designer hair of his. god damn, i can't imagine rooting for a guy who looks like that

ihatetimthomas
09-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Have you seen the Heat bench? I don't know how half those guys get past the security at away arenas. Who in their right mind would believe that Chris Quinn is an NBA player and not a systems analyst from San Diego trying to sneak into the locker room and get Wade's John Hancock?

The point is to just be respectable and keep that crap behind closed doors. He just loves the media attention. He just takes shots a guys through the media to satisfy his addiction to be in the spotlight. I love Shaq, but I have never had respect for the shots he takes at other players when its done with

Psileas
09-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Ever since he left the Lakers, Shaq every season is "in best condition going into training camp". Not so during the season or the playoffs, at least after 2005 (although he did underperform in the 2005 playoffs, as well). He's not going to average even past prime numbers, like 18+9, anymore. Once upon a time, what he said was cool and great, because he could back it up. Now, the only thing I believe he can back up is his statement of the number of days left till he retires.

ihatetimthomas
09-30-2008, 11:41 AM
The reality with Shaq is that even at "the best condition of his career", he is still a ticking time bomb for injury. At this point of his career, its more wear and tear than conditioning. He has to be in phenomonal condition if he wants to have a chance at being somewhat durable for an entire season. Hasnt he been in the best condiditon going into training camp every year since leaving LA?

plowking
09-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Ever since he left the Lakers, Shaq every season is "in best condition going into training camp". Not so during the season or the playoffs, at least after 2005 (although he did underperform in the 2005 playoffs, as well). He's not going to average even past prime numbers, like 18+9, anymore. Once upon a time, what he said was cool and great, because he could back it up. Now, the only thing I believe he can back up is his statement of the number of days left till he retires.

He is still a top 3 centre in the league. That's saying something at the age of 36.

ihatetimthomas
09-30-2008, 11:46 AM
He is still a top 3 centre in the league. That's saying something at the age of 36.

All that tells me is the dire state the center position is in right now. Thanks god for Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum

Valliant13
09-30-2008, 12:02 PM

Around three. Shaq is a legit 7'1 without shoes, Amare about 6'10.

Valliant13
09-30-2008, 12:03 PM
The reality with Shaq is that even at "the best condition of his career", he is still a ticking time bomb for injury. At this point of his career, its more wear and tear than conditioning. He has to be in phenomonal condition if he wants to have a chance at being somewhat durable for an entire season. Hasnt he been in the best condiditon going into training camp every year since leaving LA?

The advantage this year is they have couple legit options to go to keep his minutes down. Lopez should be solid defensively, and rebounding, in small bursts. Amare can move over to play the 5 when they want to go small.

Psileas
09-30-2008, 12:06 PM
All that tells me is the dire state the center position is in right now. Thanks god for Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum

Not to mention that even being a top-3 center is still arguable. He's no way better than Dwight or Yao, so this brings him to #3 at best. And, as crazy as it would once sound, even a guy like Marcus Camby may have a claim for this #3. I mean, forget the names for a moment. From the one side, you have a center who averages 13.6/9.1/1.4 bpg on 59% FG and is still frequently double-teammed, but also misses at least 1/4 of a season and commits 3.7 fouls per game and from the other, you have a center averaging only 9.1 ppg on 45% FG, but also 13.1 rpg, 3.3 apg, 3.6 bpg, is a runner-up for DPOY and, despite his long history of injuries, missed only 3 games. Shaq isn't hands-down better than Camby and someone may argue he's not better anyway. I won't even mention team success for each player last season.

All this while treating both Duncan and Amare as PF's.

ihatetimthomas
09-30-2008, 12:07 PM
The advantage this year is they have couple legit options to go to keep his minutes down. Lopez should be solid defensively, and rebounding, in small bursts. Amare can move over to play the 5 when they want to go small.

I dont know how you can say Lopez is a legit option. He is a rookie and rookie's will struggle. Honestly, Brian Skinner would likely be more effective than Lopez. You saying Amare moving to the 5 is the more likely option. They can run small with Diaw and Barnes in the front court, but its not something Porter has been known for

plowking
09-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Not to mention that even being a top-3 center is still arguable. He's no way better than Dwight or Yao, so this brings him to #3 at best. And, as crazy as it would once sound, even a guy like Marcus Camby may have a claim for this #3. I mean, forget the names for a moment. From the one side, you have a center who averages 13.6/9.1/1.4 bpg on 59% FG and is still frequently double-teammed, but also misses at least 1/4 of a season and commits 3.7 fouls per game and from the other, you have a center averaging only 9.1 ppg on 45% FG, but also 13.1 rpg, 3.3 apg, 3.6 bpg, is a runner-up for DPOY and, despite his long history of injuries, missed only 3 games. Shaq isn't hands-down better than Camby and someone may argue he's not better anyway. I won't even mention team success for each player last season.

All this while treating both Duncan and Amare as PF's.

You are kidding yourself if you think Camby is better then Shaq. Though you have proven to us already that all you care about is stats. Since afterall, that is all you provide in posts concerning Wilt's greatness.

I think you are more threatened and feel the need to put Shaq down now that he isn't the physical specimen he once was, seeing as you want to hype Wilt up.

ihatetimthomas
09-30-2008, 12:18 PM
I would def. take Shaq over Camby. But thats not really saying much. Camby's stats are very hollow and deceiving. Shaq still has his post passing, something very important for the Suns. But in reality, I would take Chris Kaman and Andrew Bynum over Shaq right now. Not even being a Laker homer, I just think Bynum could be more consistent that Shaq and Kaman is a very skilled all aroung center

Psileas
09-30-2008, 12:51 PM
You are kidding yourself if you think Camby is better then Shaq. Though you have proven to us already that all you care about is stats. Since afterall, that is all you provide in posts concerning Wilt's greatness.

I think you are more threatened and feel the need to put Shaq down now that he isn't the physical specimen he once was, seeing as you want to hype Wilt up.

Do I care only about stats? OK, how many wins did Shaq have this season with Miami? How much did he improve the Suns? What did they/he do in the playoffs? Nothing that helps him setting him apart from Camby this season.

I don't need to attack Shaq's downfall to hype Wilt. I think most people admit that past prime Wilt was better than past prime Shaq (and generally most people who deal with basketball rank Wilt over Shaq, period), so why should I be threatened now, that Shaq is falling? Maybe you care about the Wilt vs Shaq debate more than I do, after all.

If I really cared, I'd do this "Shaq bashing" for a long time now a lot more consistantly, like in every game Miami lost during the last 2 seasons and in every game Shaq underperformed. If I really cared, I'd be for Shaq about what Loki is for Kobe. And I'd actually have no problem to mention Wilt's name for comparison (and not just make implications), which is what I did when some in the early 2000's called Shaq the greatest center ever.

plowking
09-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Do I care only about stats? OK, how many wins did Shaq have this season with Miami? How much did he improve the Suns? What did they/he do in the playoffs? Nothing that helps him setting him apart from Camby this season.

I don't need to attack Shaq's downfall to hype Wilt. I think most people admit that past prime Wilt was better than past prime Shaq (and generally most people who deal with basketball rank Wilt over Shaq, period), so why should I be threatened now, that Shaq is falling? Maybe you care about the Wilt vs Shaq debate more than I do, after all.

If I really cared, I'd do it for a long time now a lot more consistantly, like in every game Miami lost during the last 2 seasons and in every game Shaq underperformed. If I really cared, I'd be for Shaq about what Loki is for Kobe. And I'd actually have no problem to mention Wilt's name and not just make implications, which is what I did when some in the early 2000's called Shaq the greatest center ever.

Maybe because he is?

He had individual and team dominance. Where the former only had one of the two.

As for saying that most people agree that Wilt is better then Shaq, that is because most people agree to sound knowledgeable and comply with the supposed rule.

All Net
09-30-2008, 01:02 PM
"Shaq in best condition going into training camp!"

Hmm wonder where we have heard this before.

Psileas
09-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Maybe because he is?

Maybe because people have short memories? And maybe because what some of these people know about Wilt are just the numbers 100 and 20,000?

He had individual and team dominance. Where the former only had one of the two.

3 rings vs 2. 4 trips to the finals vs 6. That's an example of short memories and short expectations. Maybe when Shaq 3-peated, many started believing that the Lakers were just in the middle of a historic dynasty. No-one in their right mind would predict that this would be Shaq's last title as the best player of his team. This led them believe that Shaq was more successful than Wilt, team-wise, whereas there was no big difference

As for saying that most people agree that Wilt is better then Shaq, that is because most people agree to sound knowledgeable and comply with the supposed rule.

And people who claim otherwise want to make the others sound as just nostalgic and biased, while using the whole spectrum of the negative Wilt myths (which, like the positive myths, are plenty) and the "time machine" excuse.

BTW, you haven't really commented on the thread topic. Is this because you regretably agree with me (and many others who share the same opinion about Shaq not getting better any more, whatever he may say) and you feel the need to change topic because you hate saying bad things for Shaq?

gts
09-30-2008, 01:20 PM
lol we have heard this before..shaq's version of being in shape is losing weight but when he's sucking for air we'll see once again yeah he lost weight but he isn't actually in shape to be playing ball..

seen this movie before

ihatetimthomas
09-30-2008, 01:30 PM
lol we have heard this before..shaq's version of being in shape is losing weight but when he's sucking for air we'll see once again yeah he lost weight but he isn't actually in shape to be playing ball..

seen this movie before

Yea and we all know how Shaq's movies turn out...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Crimson-Ghost/m-shaqsteel.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/cybersaxgirl/kazaam.jpg

statman32
09-30-2008, 01:39 PM
This is the first season in awhile that I am not sure what will happen to the Suns. I'm not expecting anything big but I'm also not expecting a horrible season where we miss the playoffs. I do like this team a hell of a lot better than the team we ended the season with.

ihatetimthomas
09-30-2008, 01:41 PM
This is the first season in awhile that I am not sure what will happen to the Suns. I'm not expecting anything big but I'm also not expecting a horrible season where we miss the playoffs. I do like this team a hell of a lot better than the team we ended the season with.

A deal no one is talking about is the acquisition of Matt barnes. I think this pickup was huge for you guys. Hill played solid, but he he declined at the end of the year from playing too many minutes. Barnes can hit jumpers and play D.

statman32
09-30-2008, 01:45 PM
A deal no one is talking about is the acquisition of Matt barnes. I think this pickup was huge for you guys. Hill played solid, but he he declined at the end of the year from playing too many minutes. Barnes can hit jumpers and play D.
I love the Barnes signing especially considering how small his contract is. Barnes actually might be starting over Hill and will limit Hills minutes which will be a great thing at the end of the season.

Another thing I like about Barnes is he committed the most flagrant fouls last year. :pimp:

Hopper15
09-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Those knees are still too old.

Heretik32
09-30-2008, 02:13 PM

Yeah, that's nasty. That burning bridges thing is something I can't stand in people, athletes or not.

picc84
09-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Thinking about Matt Barnes makes me want to go watch the gs/dallas series on youtube again.

Think I will. I've done enough work for today. :pimp:

juju151111
09-30-2008, 03:18 PM
He backed it up in 06 tho.

Hotbullets
09-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Amare's looking good... And lol @ Nash's emo hairdo.

VCMVP1551
09-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Nash's hairstyle looks horrible. When Shaq first came to Phoenix, he was measured by the team doctor at 321 pounds and 11% body fat. So he's a bit bigger than back then. But it's not too bad, he doesn't have a stomach bulge and his face isn't fat. Amare looks pretty normal. I've always suspected he isn't actually 6'10. Look at him next to Lebron. Maybe VCMVP1551 can enlighten us. I wonder if he's gonna keep wearing that sleeve the whole season.

As far as height well Shaq was measured 7'1" without shoes in 1992, he was barely 20 at the time so it's possible he's grown a little. He also has very big shoes that add about 2". Amare on the other hand measured 6'8.5" at the 2002 pre-draft camp, in 2003 the Suns claimed he grew a little to 6'9.25".

Both figures sound believable, Shaq tends to dwarf even legit NBA big man.

Shaq and Tim Duncan who describes himself as "6-foot-10 and change"
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/NBA%20Height%20Comparison/51056426.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/NBA%20Height%20Comparison/51960408.jpg

Amare does look a little closer to Shaq's height than he did his rookie season, here is a picture of them from '02
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/NBA%20Height%20Comparison/1724963.jpg

Hope that clears that up. I knew people would be a little confused when they saw Shaq and Amare pose on media day. Most likely Amare is 6'9", give or a take a bit and Shaq is every bit of 7'1" if not a bit more.

VCMVP1551
09-30-2008, 04:28 PM
As far as Shaq's weight, well here's a comparison to when he weighed in at 321 pounds when he arrived in Phoenix.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/ShaqSuns.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/ShaqPhoenix.jpg

Now on media day
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/Shaq.jpg

When he weighed in at 340 pounds prior to his career season in 1999-2000
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/Shaqmediaday2.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/Shaq19992000.jpg

Shaq when he weighed in at 327 pounds prior to the 2004-2005 season
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/Shaq20042005.jpg

Shaq when he weighed 340 lbs prior to the 2005-2006 season
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/Shaq20052006.jpg

Shaq when he weighed 382 pounds during the 2001-2002 season
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/Shaqmediaday2001.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/Shaqmediaday2002.jpg

Shaq when he weighed 358 pounds prior to the 2003-2004 season
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/Shaqmediaday2003.jpg

To me Shaq easily looks 335 pounds like he said if not a bit more. He's not as trim as he was when he was 340 in 1999-2000 but that's because he's 36 now and was 27 then.

He's clearly not near as heavy as he was in those last few Lakers seasons though either. He doesn't seem to be in great shape or particulary bad shape either.

Resurrection
09-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Shaq still looks FAT. :oldlol:

He'll probably miss his typical 20-25 games this season due to some BS injury. Time to put a fork in him!

p.s. I can't wait until Bynum destroys his fat ass this season!!!

AItheAnswer3
09-30-2008, 04:37 PM

He'll probably miss his typical 20-25 games this season due to some BS injury. Time to put a fork in him!

Poseidon. Your hate for Shaq is epic.

juju151111
09-30-2008, 07:14 PM

U tard.Shaq looks fat because of his age really.Look at him in 00 at the same weight.

Resurrection
09-30-2008, 08:25 PM
U tard.Shaq looks fat because of his age really.Look at him in 00 at the same weight.

FAT has no age. I don't care if you're young or old....if you look FAT, then you're FAT. You can't hide FAT. Shaq is FAT.

Period.

magic chiongson
10-01-2008, 01:35 AM
i was wondering whats with steve nash 80's new wave hair..heh

Kiddlovesnets
10-01-2008, 01:36 AM
Shaq doesn't fit the system of Phoenix Suns at all so this team is going nowhere no matter how good Shaq feels about himself.

3stat2
10-01-2008, 02:01 AM
As far as height well Shaq was measured 7'1" without shoes in 1992, he was barely 20 at the time so it's possible he's grown a little. He also has very big shoes that add about 2". Amare on the other hand measured 6'8.5" at the 2002 pre-draft camp, in 2003 the Suns claimed he grew a little to 6'9.25".

Both figures sound believable, Shaq tends to dwarf even legit NBA big man.

Amare does look a little closer to Shaq's height than he did his rookie season, here is a picture of them from '02
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/NBA%20Height%20Comparison/1724963.jpg

Hope that clears that up. I knew people would be a little confused when they saw Shaq and Amare pose on media day. Most likely Amare is 6'9", give or a take a bit and Shaq is every bit of 7'1" if not a bit more.
Thanks, couldn't have asked for a better answer

23airjordan23
10-01-2008, 02:06 AM
Suns FTW! . I love going into the season with doubters.

Auka
10-01-2008, 02:07 AM
Shaq doesn't fit the system of Phoenix Suns at all so this team is going nowhere no matter how good Shaq feels about himself.
What system? They have a whole new coaching staff.

3stat2
10-01-2008, 02:55 AM
I just noticed Amare is wearing Marion's armband in VC's pic:
Matrix 31 :lol