PDA

View Full Version : Cuban: "Over 5 players asked for trade if Avery returned."

picc84
09-30-2008, 09:15 PM
:eek:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/093008dnspomavsbriefs.19d9897.html

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

Mark Cuban said multiple players told him they wanted to be traded if Avery Johnson returned as coach this season.

The Mavericks owner revealed the gravity of the rift between Johnson and his players at Monday's media day when asked how he came to the conclusion that he needed to fire Johnson.

When asked if more than five players requested a trade, Cuban said yes. More than seven?

"Close," Cuban said.

Wow. I had no idea it had gotten that bad. Thats one of the first times i've heard of something like that. I know Denver had that coup in the 90's against their coach, and Spree expressed his displeasure with the coach in his own....breathtaking way, but over 5 players outright demanding trades if the coach is still there? Especially when everyone thought so highly of Avery last year.

Luigi
09-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Wow. It is hard to know what to say abou this. Are they looking for a blame source outside of themselves, or are they justified in wanting him gone?

Time to guess who the 5 or 6 were.

ronnymac
09-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Coach RC is in the same mold as Avery in terms of methods and gameplan. . so if they think they got rid little napoleon and brought in democracy, there in for a rude shock.

White Chocolate
09-30-2008, 09:28 PM
If half your team wants out, you know it's bad. AJ definitely has a Napoleon complex.

Jasper
09-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Are we supposed to believe Cuban ?
Or is it a protect your a$$ comment ?
I believe there is some truth to it , because I would not doubt there is at least one player or more on every team that doesn't like their coach.

Nets fan 93
09-30-2008, 09:31 PM
im pretty sure one of the players was indeed Devin Harris

Darius07
idk if this is true or not but really this is just low on cubans part. I mean the guy (avery) coaches this team for 3-4 years, bassicaly makes them a contender and puts his heart into the team and now you've bassically assured him of never getting another job as a head coach.(maybeeee in the future, but not for a while) I mean you can at least shut your mouth because honestly it wasn't all his fault and now your just pointing fingers.

TakitoEspanoza
that is bad... wonder if they tanked late last season on purpose to get him fired.

White Chocolate
09-30-2008, 09:33 PM
idk if this is true or not but really this is just low on cubans part. I mean the guy (avery) coaches this team for 3-4 years, bassicaly makes them a contender and puts his heart into the team and now you've bassically assured him of never getting another job as a head coach.(maybeeee in the future, but not for a while) I mean you can at least shut your mouth because honestly it wasn't all his fault and now your just pointing fingers.

Don Nelson really set up that Dallas team as far as their playing style. You knew it was just a matter of time before they became contenders. When AJ and Donnie faced each other in the playoffs, look who come out on top.

TakitoEspanoza
09-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Dirk

Josh

Kidd

Diop

Devin

George

Myth
09-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Time to guess who the 5 or 6 were.

He said more than 5, and "close" to 7, so it is more like 6 or 8.

kumquat
09-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Avery seems like a real nazi, get in line coach, almost disrespectful. The shot in the nuts to Josh Howard see all the players they're scared when he runs up to them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUHIfOicCbU

picc84
09-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Avery seems like a real nazi, get in line coach, almost disrespectful. The shot in the nuts to Josh Howard see all the players they're scared when he runs up to them

:roll: :roll: he probably requested a trade right after that:oldlol:

White Chocolate
09-30-2008, 09:37 PM

Little Man is sick in the head. :oldlol:

jbot
09-30-2008, 09:44 PM
isn't it funny how a guy can win COY and end up being hated shortly afterward? seems to happen alot.

Luigi
09-30-2008, 09:47 PM
He said more than 5, and "close" to 7, so it is more like 6 or 8.

Technically, I think you're right. I figured that since they were working their way upward, and Cuban said yes to 5, that he woudl say yes to 7 if there were enough. However, 8 is close to 7.

White Chocolate
09-30-2008, 09:49 PM
isn't it funny how a guy can win COY and end up being hated shortly afterward? seems to happen alot.

In Avery's case, the team was set up for him. He took over Don Nelson's system and couldn't keep it going.

DeuceWallaces
09-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Sounds like they're a bunch of *******, and it won't get any better with Carlisle; they're in for a shock with him.

west
09-30-2008, 10:05 PM
i'm suprise so much player so disrespect to their coach,from Flip and now Avery
BTW Mark Cuban is easily the worst owner i have ever seen,he involved **** that he shouldn't involved all the time,and his temper,he is just flat out stupid

G-train
09-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Sounds like they're a bunch of *******, and it won't get any better with Carlisle; they're in for a shock with him.

I agree.

Howard Schits
09-30-2008, 11:22 PM
This is how sick the NBA has evolved to. Players have guarantee contracts regardless how schitti they perform on court. And if they are not happy with anything, they simply can blackmail the team and demand to be traded.

Meticode
09-30-2008, 11:31 PM

That's hilarious. It looks like he does it on purpose too. :roll:

miles berg
09-30-2008, 11:33 PM
F uck Cuban. F uck Dirk. F uck Kidd and JHo. F uck the Mavs and this whole damn city!

west
09-30-2008, 11:51 PM
F uck Cuban. F uck Dirk. F uck Kidd and JHo. F uck the Mavs and this whole damn city!
calm down man,that's nothing we can do,right??:lol

Silverbullit
10-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Dirk

Josh

Kidd

Diop

Devin

George

Dirk didn't ask for a trade :no:

Diesel J
10-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Don Nelson really set up that Dallas team as far as their playing style.

No he didn't. When Don was the coach they were nothing but a run and gun style team w/o any defense. When Avery got there, they became more of a traditional half court team with much improved defense.

When AJ and Donnie faced each other in the playoffs, look who come out on top.

That really had nothing to do Don knowing Dallas. Check the previous records between Dallas and the Warriors even before Donny became coach of the Warriors. Warriors in recent years prior to Don had already been "owning" Dallas everytime they played.

DCL
10-01-2008, 12:56 AM
in terms of yelling the f--k outta their players, i don't see much difference between avery johnson ang greg popovich, except one won championships and looks old and grey, so he gets more respect. avery basically got his demeanor from pop; it wasn't from don nelson. guess if you go with the military approach, you better have the resume to command it. avery was barely a few years older than some of his other players.

coles_brandon
10-01-2008, 12:57 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=1711~1981~356~3224~3032~181~60 9~881&teams=29~6~6~6~6~4~4~4&te=&cash=29:4

:hammertime: :hammertime: :hammertime:

FashionIssues
10-01-2008, 01:36 AM
r.i.p. avery johnson.

maybe it's not in a youthful coach's side to command respect and gain a young team's trust. the guys who asked for a trade, whoever those were, apparently were more important to cuban's little pretty franchise - while avery's services became quickly forgotten and expendable. cuban is the al davis of the nba. win win win now. that's not how it works fella. it takes years of cohesiveness, a mastery of the system, etc. you just don't disrupt that after a disappointing year. quit firing coaches, don't invest much in players. keep it going and play ball. nellie showed you that a couple years back. yeah, the coach you gave the axe to for avery. cuban, you are just a fan in the stands. stay there and stop being a distraction to your team's goals and be celebrity for your ice cream shop. let the coaches do their thing. you lost nellie. you lost avery. now you dig in you pockets and came up with a lint of a coach. square one buddy, that is where you will be next year with this knee jerk solution.

Denali
10-01-2008, 02:49 AM
r.i.p. avery johnson.

maybe it's not in a youthful coach's side to command respect and gain a young team's trust. the guys who asked for a trade, whoever those were, apparently were more important to cuban's little pretty franchise - while avery's services became quickly forgotten and expendable. cuban is the al davis of the nba. win win win now. that's not how it works fella. it takes years of cohesiveness, a mastery of the system, etc. you just don't disrupt that after a disappointing year. quit firing coaches, don't invest much in players. keep it going and play ball. nellie showed you that a couple years back. yeah, the coach you gave the axe to for avery. cuban, you are just a fan in the stands. stay there and stop being a distraction to your team's goals and be celebrity for your ice cream shop. let the coaches do their thing. you lost nellie. you lost avery. now you dig in you pockets and came up with a lint of a coach. square one buddy, that is where you will be next year with this knee jerk solution.

actually nelson elected to step down and hand the position over to avery and was planning to retire i believe, before the golden state offer came along

High Potential
10-01-2008, 03:54 AM
One of the players might have been Dirk, whining and crying that Avery was asking him to *gasp* rebound, and not back down and shoot fadeaways over Tony Parker. The nerve of Avery!

Silverbullit
10-01-2008, 04:00 AM
One of the players might have been Dirk, whining and crying that Avery was asking him to *gasp* rebound, and not back down and shoot fadeaways over Tony Parker. The nerve of Avery!

No. Dirk is loyale.

Besides that, did you know that Dirk is the 3rd best playoffs defensive rebounder since defensive rebounds are counted?

High Potential
10-01-2008, 04:11 AM
No. Dirk is loyale.

Besides that, did you know that Dirk is the 3rd best playoffs defensive rebounder since defensive rebounds are counted?
Did you know he's also the number one seven footer when it comes to getting 15 foot fadeaways over 6'0" players in league history?

chains5000
10-01-2008, 04:14 AM
No. Dirk is loyale.

But he's a soft white Euro!
Seriously, what does he have to do so people recognize his talent?

Silverbullit
10-01-2008, 04:18 AM
Did you know he's also the number one seven footer when it comes to getting 15 foot fadeaways over 6'0" players in league history?

If he hits his shots (and he does) I don't have a problem with that.

DCL
10-01-2008, 05:13 AM
but when you're like a damn foot taller than your defender, it is your baskeball duty to go in and bust his ass, not fade away from him. that should be a friggin commandment set in stone.

Silverbullit
10-01-2008, 05:36 AM
but when you're like a damn foot taller than your defender, it is your baskeball duty to go in and bust his ass, not fade away from him. that should be a friggin commandment set in stone.

Why?

VanillaThunder
10-01-2008, 10:40 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=1711~1981~356~3224~3032~181~60 9~881&teams=29~6~6~6~6~4~4~4&te=&cash=29:4

:hammertime: :hammertime: :hammertime:

Larry Hughes
Salary: $12,827,676 Years Remaining: 2
Photo: Tyrus Thomas
Tyrus Thomas
Salary: $3,749,880 Years Remaining: 1
Photo: Joakim Noah
Joakim Noah
Salary: $2,295,480 Years Remaining: 1
Photo: Kirk Hinrich
Kirk Hinrich
Salary: $10,000,000 Years Remaining: 4

none of those players are worth trading dirk.. you a bulls fan? If I recall correctly Cuban didnt want to trade Dirk for Kobe, now you think the pupu platter of crap listed above is gonna get it done?

Lamar Doom
10-01-2008, 05:42 PM
that is bad... wonder if they tanked late last season on purpose to get him fired.

not a chance. that's ridiculous

Brunch@Five
10-01-2008, 07:06 PM

Dirk is defended by players 1 foot smaller on the perimeter, if at all. Have you ever tried to back someone down from the 3-point line, or even FT-line? It's impossible. You'd have a case if he was constantly guarded by smaller players in the post and he'd retreat. That's not the case.

KeylessEntry
10-01-2008, 07:37 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Oh how the mighty have fallen

worldbefree
10-01-2008, 07:51 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Oh how the mighty have fallen

COY is handed out purely on stats now. Avery is not even an average coach in my opinion. COY should be based on available talent, chemistry, leadership, off-court behavior, and stats.

Jerry Sloan. My pick for COY the past few seasons.

gts
10-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Sounds like they're a bunch of *******, and it won't get any better with Carlisle; they're in for a shock with him.yep Carlisle is everybit as much a task master as avery was... which is odd, usually when a team hires a new coach they usally find one that's quite a bit different then the one just released

305Baller
10-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Cubans just so wrong.

DatZNasty
10-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Why?
because closer to the basket is generally a higher percentage shot. The fadeaways are Ok when they go in, but when that's the best you can get against the likes of Boobie Gibson, Tony Parker, Monta Ellis, etc. and you are shooting sub 40%, go get in the post and get a higher percentage shot. And my guess would be that it was
Dirk
Devin
Jason
Desagna
Erick
Antoine

InspiredLebowski
10-06-2008, 01:23 AM
People keep talking about Carlisle and Avery being the same type of coach. In a way they are, they both run a tight ship and expect the game to be played their way. But I think the problem was more in AJ's demeanor. He's not necessarily a hothead, but he's certainly not afraid to voice his disdain. Carlisle couldn't be more different, he salavaged Indy's brawl season by being cool and collected.

DeuceWallaces
10-06-2008, 01:30 AM
People keep talking about Carlisle and Avery being the same type of coach. In a way they are, they both run a tight ship and expect the game to be played their way. But I think the problem was more in AJ's demeanor. He's not necessarily a hothead, but he's certainly not afraid to voice his disdain. Carlisle couldn't be more different, he salavaged Indy's brawl season by being cool and collected.

Carlisle is a Grade A prick behind the scenes. There is little distinction between the two.

InspiredLebowski
10-06-2008, 02:00 AM
Carlisle is a Grade A prick behind the scenes. There is little distinction between the two.

According to?

MiseryCityTexas
10-06-2008, 03:19 AM
as soon as kidd came back to dallas, he was one of the main mavs players that wanted avery johnson gone. he was making remarks saying that avery johnson is "weird." i think jason kidd was the only mavs player that openly showed signs that he was not fond of avery johnson's coaching, and his weird antics or whatever. plus jason kidd is notorious for getting good coaches fired anyway. if anything, i wouldn't be surprised if jason kidd was the mastermind behind johnson's firing. he did it to byron scott also.

players tanking the regular season and play-off games just because they don't like their coaches are ***** made in my book. players publicly crying to their coaches are idiots also with the exception of sprewell. pj carislimo is a real ****ing prick.

gpfanz
10-06-2008, 06:48 AM
Avery had his chances :ohwell:

Sharas
10-06-2008, 08:41 AM
AOIDH

A pragmatist yes, but a calm one, always with his vision ahead on the big picture. Avery's vision couldn't see much past right now. Sometimes not even that.
Peep it: When Avery switched and assigned Jason Terry to Chris Paul, the Mavs won and Paul had his worst game of the series scoring wise, assists, turnovers, worst game of the playoffs probly. So what did avery do? Avery went right back to Kidd, and double teaming Paul 40feet from the bucket with big men, leaving the lane clear, and Paul lit the mavs right back up with his patience and vision. Terry is younger and quicker. Kidd can't handle Paul, not one bit.

Moral of the story is Avery's a retarded, closet-case, militant, in-the-moment pragmatist.
Carlisle is a calm, intelligent, long-term-vision pragmatist.

from what i've seen myself, i definitely agree.

carlisle is probably also a better offensive coach.

canadianballer
10-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Josh Howard does not believe in trades because he is black.

:roll:

Dirk

Josh

Kidd

Diop

Devin

George

DeuceWallaces
10-06-2008, 12:37 PM
According to?

According to every news outlet in Detroit.

Anyway, every coach is focused on the now. Now is winning. The GM/President focuses on the future. Carlisle is not some level headed cool as a cucumber guy. Every report says to the contrary. How else does a guy with his resume get fired twice? He is intense, he wants it his way, and by all accounts he's a prick.

Great coach, but don't try to make him out to be something he's not.

BankShot
10-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Josh Howard does not believe in trades because he is black.

clayton
10-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Haha everybody got scared when Avery started to march toward them.