PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets trade Allen Iverson to Pistons for Chauncey Billups, McDyess

Pages : [1] 2 3

PacerRaptor
11-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Tons of stories here: http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml

UPDATE: Trade is now OFFICIAL. Iverson-Billups trade (http://www.insidehoops.com/iverson-billups-trade-110308.shtml) is a done deal.

If Pistons do this, Dumars is a genius. The way that Stuckey is playing, Billups is expandable. If they are looking to get rid of Billups, now is the time. His contract is for 4 more years and AI is expiring this season. Dumars would save a lot of money, considering he has to resign Prince and Sheed

32MJ32
11-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Link got ***'d, homeskillet.

Care to re-post?

ronnymac
11-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Makes no sense for denver. there in a cost cutting mode now. Iverson has a 20 million dollar contract coming off the books at seasons end. so why would they give that up for a multi year deal? they'll either let AI walk at seasons end and save money or they'll want the same sort of contract.noway there taking on a multi year deal. unless its billups and prince in it.

monthh
11-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Detroit needs to look to the future and with so many young players on the team they can start looking sooner rather than later. Dumars has been a genius GM for putting this team together and keeping them together, but the real test will be if he can rebuild them. If they have the chance to unload Billups remaining 4 years for a season with AI, then I don't think that is a bad deal. Dumars just seems so loyal though.

Anyone know how the rookies did in the preseason or if they even made the team?

PacerRaptor
11-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Dumb for detroit.
Homecoming for Billups.
Dumb for Detriot? The save so much money when they already have Stuckey whos playing great

Detroit
11-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Because of Iverson's lucrative contract ($20.8 million) it would take more than Billups ($11 million), though.

if its a straight up trade then its good for detroit, other than that, no thanks.

stephanieg
11-02-2008, 09:27 AM
It would be a boon for theoretical statistical player models. According to most of them I read Billups is a top 10 player, AI is...not, and Stuckey is complete trash. So you'd expect Detroit to be much, much worse and Denver to be quite a bit better. Of course, Billups could begin to severely decline at any time since he is getting up there in age and Stuckey could suddenly improve because he is young.

hoopaddict08
11-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Why would we trade for AI? If Detroit is going to trade Chauncey it's going to be because they want to insert Rodney Stuckey into the starting lineup. I'm happy with the team right now the way it is, the coaching change is already paying off. 50 some points last night from the bench, you would've never seen that from Sanders in a non blowout game.

hoopaddict08
11-02-2008, 09:33 AM
It would be a boon for theoretical statistical player models. According to most of them I read Billups is a top 10 player, AI is...not, and Stuckey is complete trash. So you'd expect Detroit to be much, much worse and Denver to be quite a bit better. Of course, Billups could begin to severely decline at any time since he is getting up there in age and Stuckey could suddenly improve because he is young.

Stuckey is trash?

Razor Ramon
11-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Stuckey is trash?

Hey Yo!

Thats a first!

Everyone else seems to think the dood is like the best Piston LOL!

He might be good but ISH Pistons lovers overrate him.

Trash, No yo. Super star, nope.

:cheers:

rzp
11-02-2008, 10:59 AM

lmao who is the genius that said Billups is a top 10 player ...maybe hes not even top-10 pg anymore , let alone all nba . And Iverson is better than Billups imo (imo , not according some ghosts writers :oldlol: ) , id do that trade easily .

big baller
11-02-2008, 11:03 AM
AI>>>Billups.......get over it. ur an ideot if u would not do tht trade, esp considering AI has an expierer...

Kiddlovesnets
11-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Will Detroit do this trade? well, they are dumb if they ever even think about this trade.

big baller
11-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Will Detroit do this trade? well, they are dumb if they ever even think about this trade.

omg, ur worthless :hammerhead:

Kiddlovesnets
11-02-2008, 11:52 AM
omg, ur worthless :hammerhead:

I'm not saying Billups is a better player than AI but he fits in the Pistons system much better than AI. The Pistons need a true low post scorer this season to become the champion instead of trading for a scoring first guard like AI. It's not like when you play NBA 2k9 that better players bring better records. Trust me, AI will turn the Pistons into a first round team or even out of the play-off contest.

hawkfan
11-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Trade scenario:

Detroit gets

AI

Denver gets

Chauncey Billups
Antonio McDyess

This is one of the few ways to make this deal work, cap wise.

This should be within the 25% salary match rule.

The Pistons have to get rid of McDyess, but they clear out playing time for Maxiall, Amir Johnson and Kwame Brown.

But if it were me, I wouldn't do a Billups-AI deal, since Denver benefits from letting AI's contract expire at the end of the season, and Billups is a better fit with Detroit.

tsforthrees
11-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Trade scenario:

Detroit gets

AI

Denver gets

Chauncey Billups
Antonio McDyess

The Pistons have to get rid of McDyess, but they clear out playing time for Maxiall, Amir Johnson and Kwame Brown.

But if it were me, I wouldn't do a Billups-AI deal, since Denver benefits from letting AI's contract expire at the end of the season, and Billups is a better fit with Detroit.

i would do this if you guys throw in chieck samb as well. billups can be good for a while longer because his game is centered around shooting, good decision making, and fundamentals. mcdyess gives us the other big man we desperately need, and samb is just another young big because we have none.

hoopaddict08
11-02-2008, 12:12 PM
AI>>>Billups.......get over it. ur an ideot if u would not do tht trade, esp considering AI has an expierer...

As far as being a better player, yeah I would agree AI>Billups. But, I don't like AI/Hamilton as much as I like Billups/Hamilton. That trade isn't going to make Detroit any better than what they already are.

flintstone
11-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Detroits game plan for the year, is a balanced attack, with all the parts being interchangeable...and lots of people playing limited, but important minutes.

Injury will only have limited effect, over 82 games

AI doesn't fit the system in place....and we don't need another guard?

DeuceWallaces
11-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Joe D already turned down A.I. this summer. Why would he change his mind all of a sudden?

OneMoreSucka
11-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Denver will never pull the trigger on this trade. Billups contract is too huge, and his age is only getting older.

Nuggets need a young PG to develop.

flintstone
11-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Denver will never pull the trigger on this trade. Billups contract is too huge, and his age is only getting older.

Nuggets need a young PG to develop.

Huh?....Denver offered the trade months ago?....Detroit said no, we want Anthony....and then Denver said no.

That was that.....old news.

guy
11-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Wouldnt it make more sense to ask for Rip instead of Billups? Denver should know that Detroit probably wouldn't do AI for Billups, cause it leaves them empty at the PG, besides Stuckey who isn't that great yet, while having two all-star SGs.

embersyc
11-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Unless they have a poor record later in the season, I don't expect the Pistons to make a trade of this magnitude.

11-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Billups, JR Smith, Anthony, Martin and Nene looks like a much better team to me.

OneMoreSucka
11-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Wouldnt it make more sense to ask for Rip instead of Billups? Denver should know that Detroit probably wouldn't do AI for Billups, cause it leaves them empty at the PG, besides Stuckey who isn't that great yet, while having two all-star SGs.
No, denver is good in the 2 spot, we need someone with size to run the point.

guy
11-02-2008, 05:46 PM
No, denver is good in the 2 spot, we need someone with size to run the point.

I'm just saying Detroit won't bite on AI for Billups, cause they basically get an All-Star SG when they already have an All-Star SG while giving up an All-Star PG and giving their PG duties to a second-year player.

For Denver, Chauncey would be more ideal, but its Denver thats doing the offers, not Detroit.

OneMoreSucka
11-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Well if AI were to play in Detroit, he would likely be the starting PG, not a SG.

guy
11-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Well if AI were to play in Detroit, he would likely be the starting PG, not a SG.

Umm no he won't. If thats the case, then he would probably be the starting PG over Anthony Carter.

Rekindled
11-02-2008, 07:16 PM
hows this trade look

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=366~2770~2444~63~2769~883&teams=8~8~8~7~7~7&te=&cash=

Human Error
11-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Detroit would be dumb for even considering this. Detroit doesn't need another gunner, Iverson may be a better scorer but Billups is better in almost every other category, and Stuckey is more of an Iverson than a Billups.

OneMoreSucka
11-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Umm no he won't. If thats the case, then he would probably be the starting PG over Anthony Carter.
Trust me, if you have followed nuggets fans at all, that is the first thing we would all do if we had control.

Detroits management/coaching is far superior to Denver's. AI would start at PG in detroit.

NugzFan
11-03-2008, 02:44 AM
what a crazy deal...some nugget fans like it, some hate it. some piston fans like it, some hate it.

amongst other fans some think its great for denver, bad for detroit and some think its great for detroit and bad for denver.

never seen a trade idea with such split opinions from everyone.

Y2Gezee
11-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Get It Done!!!!!!!!!!!1

stephanieg
11-03-2008, 12:31 PM
ESPN's ticker is saying this trade is "expected" to happen. Devastating for Detroit if true. Great experiment for moneyballers.

FPower
11-03-2008, 12:39 PM
According to the radio, it's now a done deal.

I'm a little confused about a Rip/AI backcourt, but I like it. Chauncey disappears too much in the playoffs. He usually plays great for one out of every four series. AI always brings it. I like the trade, although losing Antonio could hurt. More trading could help bring back a better PF/C to pair with Sheed.

I wouldn't mind a starting backcourt of Afflalo AI. Afflalo's defense is nice, and his shooting has really improved. So who could the Pistons get for some combo of Rip and Maxiell/Brown/Johnson?

I'm just happy the same old crap won't be on the court anymore. AI will bring something the Pistons were lacking...passion.

kobelamarjackson
11-03-2008, 12:42 PM
stephen a was just on espn reporting that the trade is close to being official and he expects it to be done within the hour. the trade is iverson for billups and mcdyess. it's pretty much a done deal.

tontoz
11-03-2008, 12:46 PM
That would be a great deal for Denver. A backcourt of Billups/Smith looks pretty good.

SRZ66
11-03-2008, 12:46 PM
wow, i actually like it for both sides. denver needs a good passing pg

catzhernandez
11-03-2008, 12:47 PM
WHOA. :eek:

FPower
11-03-2008, 12:47 PM
According to the radio, neither player is at practice/shootaround today. Looks like it's happening.

SoCalMike
11-03-2008, 12:48 PM
why would detroit do this???? :confusedshrug:

:pimp:

DuMa
11-03-2008, 12:48 PM
east just got a lot weaker again.

catzhernandez
11-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Wow. I just can't believe they traded Chauncey AND McDyess for AI.

Risky risky risky move.

EricForman
11-03-2008, 12:52 PM

because the pistons aren't going anywhere and at best, will go out in the ECF again?

Now dont get me wrong, Iverson on that team wont make them a contender, in fact they may take a step back...but at least its a change...the Pistons have had the same core basically that disappointed for four straight seasons...

but to be honest, I think Nuggets will improve more than Detroit will improve...and I lvoe AI. But the only team AI can actually go to and make better would be trash teams like OKC or bobcats, any other team with a bunch of talent already, AI going there does nothing.

SoCalMike
11-03-2008, 12:52 PM
So is it a done deal or not???

dr8ked
11-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Wow. I just can't believe they traded Chauncey AND McDyess for AI.

Risky risky risky move.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Joe Dumars can forget this season . is AI on his last year of contract ???

The GM

because Billups had declined quick these past few years, his contract and they need a legit scorer to take over a game and A.I. gives them that.. good deal for Detriot & TERRIBLE deal for Denver, they can kiss there small playoff hopes goodbye.

SoCalMike
because the pistons aren't going anywhere and at best, will go out in the ECF again?

Now dont get me wrong, Iverson on that team wont make them a contender, in fact they may take a step back...but at least its a change...the Pistons have had the same core basically that disappointed for four straight seasons...

but to be honest, I think Nuggets will improve more than Detroit will improve...and I lvoe AI. But the only team AI can actually go to and make better would be trash teams like OKC or bobcats, any other team with a bunch of talent already, AI going there does nothing.

okay, i see that... and i also see that getting contracts off the books also could be a motivation.

i just have to digest this!!!!

hawkfan
stephen a was just on espn reporting that the trade is close to being official and he expects it to be done within the hour. the trade is iverson for billups and mcdyess. it's pretty much a done deal.

If this is true, then I nailed this deal.

hawkfan
11-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Trade scenario:

Detroit gets

AI

Denver gets

Chauncey Billups
Antonio McDyess

Looks like I got this right, if Steven Smith is right on ESPN.

sixerfan3511
11-03-2008, 12:55 PM
omg, what to say? AI is my fav player, idk i just don't like seeing him in Detroit. Risky for the Pistons too, but like someone said earlier they had ceiling of ECF anyways

ihatetimthomas
11-03-2008, 12:56 PM

They finally get a legitimate offensive scorer. Dont get me wrong, Rip and Billups are nice, but they havnt had that one guy who can be an unstoppable force on offense. Plus, Billups has 4 years remaining on his deal, they get cap relief next season. If anyone was to be dealt, it was him bc of the longevity in his contract. Out of the starting 5, he was the one who carried the most value who was also expendable. Billups has been gassing the last few years in the playoffs as well. A shake up is needed in Detroit. They are looking at Stucky to eventually take the reins and with Billups out, it will happen sooner rather than later

loot
11-03-2008, 12:57 PM
where/when did you post it? nice job

adamcz
11-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Please use this thread:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108002

I just picked the one with the most replies. I'm sure this thread is awesome too, but it's a small sacrifice we had to make. Thanks.

Glove_20
11-03-2008, 01:03 PM
The Pistons will officially have fallen with this trade

Dasher
11-03-2008, 01:05 PM
The Nuggets just got older overnight. They are locked into Chauncey's contract for another 4 years, and Dice is ancient.

All Net
11-03-2008, 01:05 PM
I like it in the sense AI is a big time scorer and thats what we have lacked for a while. Chauncey has overstayed his welcome, he has been too inconsistant and in the playoffs hasn't performed.

Works well for both sides I think as Denver need a PG. One thing I don't like is trading Dice.

francesco totti
11-03-2008, 01:08 PM
The denver management are arsehole...

Last year AI single handedly won denver the game that put them into the playoffs.golden state...
denver achieved their 50 wins ever since 1980's with AI the top scorer, assister & stealer on the team..

I guess denver management dont appreciate him..and view him selfish player unfortunately.

Nene-Kmart, two players spend time injured.. when they play they get outrebounded by gasol-bynum or boozer-okur..all this AI fault??

Disappointed to see team changing again...

Valliant13
11-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Smart financial move by Detroit, and nice short term basketball addition for Denver...though I think the Nuggets will regret it down the road when Billups loses it and they are stuck with his contract.

Hammertime
11-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I don't understand this at all. 2 years ago, AI was worth nothing more than Andre Miller + filler, and this year, having aged, declined, and gotten fat, he's worth an NBA Finals MVP. :confusedshrug:

markymark
11-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Deeeeetroit Basketbaaaallll

power works
11-03-2008, 01:14 PM
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

TERRIBLE TRADE FOR THE PISTONS!

Mr Big Shot is the heart-n-soul of the Pistons.

He is a defensive stopper, scorer and leader. A low-maintenance star.

Every year people talk about the Pistons as being washed up. I always disagreed; they're still dangerous and elite as long as Billups is there.

Now the Pistons get a me-first, shot-happy, ball-hoggin, no defence, high-maintenance 33-year old Iverson. :confusedshrug:

All Net
11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
I don't understand this at all. 2 years ago, AI was worth nothing more than Andre Miller + filler, and this year, having aged, declined, and gotten fat, he's worth an NBA Finals MVP. :confusedshrug:

Don't act like Billups was a finals MVP last year, he himself has declined as well. Billups has been dissapointing the past few seasons.

DuMa
11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
thats like saying Marion was worth an 3x NBA Finals MVP since he got traded for Shaq.

Hammertime = :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

ihatetimthomas
11-03-2008, 01:16 PM
This really is as good as it gets for AI. He has overstayed his welcome in Denver and was going no where. Now he gets to play with some real talent that is more team oriented. This should fit AI's style well. Rip is their best offensive weapon but he doesnt need to dominate the ball like Melo. AI/Rip backcourt is going to be tough to handle by any team. This also opens the doors for their younger guns in Maxiel and Amir to step up in place of Dice.

francesco totti
11-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Deeeeetroit Basketbaaaallll

LOOOL. Looks like we got our new teams..BuT I dont like it..changing teams..

philadephia, denver ..and now detroit..and then what?? its getting ugly...

BankShot
11-03-2008, 01:17 PM

Are you kidding me??? Does that mean Rip Hamilton or Tayshaun Prince are going to either play out of position or come off the bench?? Seriously??:hammerhead:

Sonic R
11-03-2008, 01:19 PM
:confusedshrug:

Trying to figure why this trade is happening

quasimoto
11-03-2008, 01:19 PM
What trade didn't you propose? :lol

Twiens
11-03-2008, 01:22 PM
I actually like it for the Pistons....lets face it, they weren't winning the title with the samer roster.

C-Sheed
PF-Maxiell
SF-Prince
SG-Rip
PG-Iverson

RAPSCANWIN
11-03-2008, 01:23 PM
2 Declining players......

But I don't understand the sense of this trade, I dont think either team got better then they were.

At least Detroit gets a huge expiring contract.

boozehound
11-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Works well for both sides I think as Denver need a PG. One thing I don't like is trading Dice.
and apparently cheik "get that **** outta here" Samb!. Now I really dont want it to go down.

dhenk
11-03-2008, 01:25 PM
As a Boston fan, I love this move.

AI is a much better matchup for Rondo than Billups, who killed us in our two playoff losses last year (together with Rip).

I have to say it again, I love it. :rockon:

Interminator
11-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Unbelievable.

I can't wait to get my new Iverson jersey,will stuckey relinquish #3?

boozehound
11-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Unbelievable.

I dont think you can change jersey #s during the season

JPR
11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
LOL...what a stupid trade for the Pistons. As a Bulls fan, I'm all for this trade. The pistons are officially no more. They went from being the 2nd best team in the East to probably the 6th best. just wait and see.

mjbulls23
11-03-2008, 01:31 PM
wow.. didn't see this one coming

bomber
11-03-2008, 01:31 PM

Al Jefferson Switched his #8 for #7 and let Antoine Walker take his #8 back after Walker wore #88 for two games. Also Andre Igodoula have Webber #4.

ejeezy
11-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Apparently its billups and mcdyess, should be complete within the hour as per yahoo spots.

El Kabong
11-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Denver's FO confuses me at times. They trade away Camby for nothing because of salary concerns, now they take back and extra 2 years of Chauncey's contract. Makes them a bit better, I'd rather have Chauncy playing with JR and Melo then AI. Makes them a bit deeper up front with the addition of Dice (Back to Denver for the 3rd time?), which can only be a good thing since it means they don't have to play over the hill Juwan Howard (Dice is only 3/4 of the way there).

As for Detroit, I don't know what to think. Are they going to play Stuckey and AI, and have Rip as the 6th man? Or Rip and AI in the backcourt? Still, it sets them up to rebuild after this year if they chose to go that route, while still being able to keep a competative team on the floor this year.

MaxFly
11-03-2008, 01:35 PM
I think Denver could do much better than Billups and McDyess. AI has an expiring contract of almost 22 million. Billups's contract doesn't end until 2011 and McDyess has another year on his at 6.8. Billups provides leadership, but he's on the decline... McDyess is 34... If I were Denver, I would look for a better trade, get a good young player in exchange for the large expiring contract.... or let AI's contract expire and pick someone up through free agency in the summer with the extra 18-20 million they'll have.

Mikaiel
11-03-2008, 01:35 PM

When CWebb got traded to the 76ers, I think he took Iguodala's jersey number.

Excellent trade for Denver. They always needed defense and 3 point shooting, even before AI came to town. AI didn't really fit a need for this team, it was more of a panic move when Melo got suspended cos of the brawl if you ask me.

Both teams needed a change.

JPR
11-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Bottomline is the Denver Nugz are now a serious threat opposed to simply being a fun team to watch but you know what will happen once they reach the postseason (suck it up and get OWNED).

Billups is a million times better than Stuckey. we'll see how good RIP, Tayshaun, that old fogey Rasheed, etc. are without the perenial All Star Chauncey Billups commanding the team.

A.I. is a ball hog and does NOT play any defense. The Pistons D just went from lock down to street worthy. i don't care how good stuckey has looked in 3 games or 1 year next to 4 all stars. he is no chauncey billups!

Denver has been looking for a real PG for years on end. Now they have found one. Now they can at least compete with teams who have real PG's like Utah and Nawlins.

BigJake
11-03-2008, 01:36 PM
WHAT THE ****!?...The Pistons Will Have To Take An "L" With This One...

No disrespect to AI at all in this one, but Billups was just the perfect fit for Detroit's style of play. He can distribute the ball, penetrate, and isnt afraid to take and MAKE the clutch shots...his nickname is Mr. Big Shot if I'm not mistaken....the pistons were my eastern squad too :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Now who in the east is even gonna put up a fight against the Celtics? Well thanks pistons, for guaranteeing a boring eastern conference playoff run filled with Celtic Domination :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

boozehound
11-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Apparently its billups and mcdyess, should be complete within the hour as per yahoo spots.
espn adds samb to the mix. I guess they have some room to activate sharpe now. maybe they'll pick up mutumbo for the stretch run!

Sonic R
11-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Unbelievable.

Don't count on it.

I am curious to what number AI will wear? maybe #33? (G. Hill was the last to wear #33)

As for Detroit, I don't know what to think. Are they going to play Stuckey and AI, and have Rip as the 6th man? Or Rip and AI in the backcourt? Still, it sets them up to rebuild after this year if they chose to go that route, while still being able to keep a competative team on the floor this year.

Don't know what to think either. AI is a lame duck and Sheed is at the end

Darius
This brings exactly what Denver needs IMO (though I haven't watched Billups lately, has be declined this year?).

Leadership, outside shooting, defense and distribution for the PG spot.

MaxFly
Denver's FO confuses me at times. They trade away Camby for nothing because of salary concerns, now they take back and extra 2 years of Chauncey's contract. Makes them a bit better, I'd rather have Chauncy playing with JR and Melo then AI. Makes them a bit deeper up front with the addition of Dice (Back to Denver for the 3rd time?), which can only be a good thing since it means they don't have to play over the hill Juwan Howard (Dice is only 3/4 of the way there).

This is what confuses me... why take on the extra salary for a short window of contention during which the Hornets and Lakers will likely dominate anyway. Why not use AI's expirer to build for the future?

KRAYZIE
11-03-2008, 01:39 PM
This is ridiculous on part of the Nuggets management. First Camby, now maybe AI? Great, trade the one player that was willing to sacrifice his game to win this season. It's one thing to be doing this in the offseason, but 3 games already into the season and now you want to talk about trading him? Lets get real, the Nuggets aren't going anywhere even with Billups(and McDyess), so why pick up another huge contract that runs through 2012? It would be alot smarter for them to just keep AI and his expiring contract for the remainder of the season. And use the cash to go after a young pointguard next year.

F*cking morons!

boozehound
11-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Al Jefferson Switched his #8 for #7 and let Antoine Walker take his #8 back after Walker wore #88 for two games. Also Andre Igodoula have Webber #4.
my bad. thought only the incoming player could change but I guess Im way off.

flintstone
11-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Well, now we've got Sheed and Iverson ready to expire ($32,000,000 or so?)....and I suppose we'll still be at the least, a very good team?

Rip was going to back up Prince a lot this year anyway...he plays the three spot just fine. We were always going to play the three guard rotation thing a lot this year anyway.

Stuckey was slated to rotate between 1-2

Iverson probably will rotate between 1-2 also?

ejeezy
11-03-2008, 01:41 PM
This trade works out for everyone else in the east because detriot got worse.

Go Raps.

OneMoreSucka
11-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Call me crazy, but I guess I'm the only Denver fan that likes this trade.

Billups gives us a proven, solid, point guard, and Mcdyess gives us another big who actually has an outside shot.

Brilliant I think. Does it mean we're automatically west contenders? Of course not. But our chances of winning a playoff series just went up.

adamcz
11-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for closing the other thread, adamcz. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I had a long ass post ready to go on 'quick reply', and I get done and go to post it, and oh, the other f-cking thread got closed. Great. And since it was a quick reply, I can't go back to copy/paste it, so **** YOU.
Let this be a warning to anyone else who thinks it's a good idea to post in duplicate threads. You could be the next catzhernandez.

:cheers:

StroShow4
11-03-2008, 01:45 PM
sounds like a done deal pretty much according to this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsBbK8sSNOT.39a0sOsDnri8vLYF?slug=aw-iversontraded110308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Denver has traded All-Star guard Allen Iverson to Detroit in exchange for Chauncey Billups and Antonio McDyess, a league executive with knowledge of the talks said.

The deal is expected to be completed within the hour.

:eek: :eek:

hotsizzle
Carmelo going back to his 30 ppg days now. I like it for Denver, their team now is much more balanced; Billups is a better playmaker, defender, and 3 pt shooter...three areas they really lacked. Hard to tell how the Pistons will be but I dont see them worse than they have been.

statman32
Does J.R start now or does Carter continue to start at SG?

ihatetimthomas
11-03-2008, 01:46 PM
This is what confuses me... why take on the extra salary for a short window of contention during which the Hornets and Lakers will likely dominate anyway. Why not use AI's expirer to build for the future?

When you think about it, with Kmart, nene, Melo, Smith all locked up for multiple years, how can they really truly re-build? Unless they somehow miraculously deal Kmart, they will still be over the cap. They are stuck with the players they have, and really their only option is to attempt to contend bc with the players they have on that roster, its going to be tough to rebuild

Penny4MVP2k
11-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Who benefits from this trade from a fantasy perspective?

I'm taking JR Smith from Denver and Walter Herrmann from Detroit...

Any input gentlemen?

KRAYZIE
11-03-2008, 01:47 PM
A.I. is a ball hog and does NOT play any defense. The Pistons D just went from lock down to street worthy. i don't care how good stuckey has looked in 3 games or 1 year next to 4 all stars. he is no chauncey billups!

Denver has been looking for a real PG for years on end. Now they have found one. Now they can at least compete with teams who have real PG's like Utah and Nawlins.
F*cking idiot!

This trade only addresses our pointguard situation. I don't see how it makes us a "serious threat" all of a sudden. Do you really think that teams are going to be terrified of a frontcourt that consists of injury prone players like Nene and K-Mart? Get real.

nugsfreak
11-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Melo, JR,Billups, Martin, Nene= looks like a pretty good starting five to me:cheers:

ihatetimthomas
11-03-2008, 01:48 PM

Any input gentlemen?

Maxiell

StroShow4
11-03-2008, 01:49 PM

Any input gentlemen?

i would think JR smith would benefit the most, i think he will start at SG, anthony carter is really a PG so he will probably go to the bench.

Sonic R
11-03-2008, 01:49 PM
LOL 1270 saying Pistons will be "exciting again" :rolleyes:

and they are trying to sell that the contract falls off at the end of the season… and the Pistons will be lift with… shit! A ****ing lottery team with 20 wins next year :banghead:

JPR
11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
AI is a ball hog, only a "F&cking idiot" (as you would say) would dispute that fact. And AI is so old and worn out, he can't play 1 lick of defense, thus why he was the perfect Denver Nugget.

I think you are underrating Chauncey's leadership and defensive ability if you don't think the Nugz are much improved. In today's NBA, it starts at the Point, and the Nugz have always had POOP at the point. now they have something real there.

of course they won't be favorites, but at least they won't end up looking like B*tches getting owned in the playoffs every year. with billups, they can at least put up a fight.

NastaMaverick
11-03-2008, 01:51 PM
The Nuggets are gonna be BOSS. They lost The Answer, but found the "real" answer to their problems.

StroShow4
11-03-2008, 01:51 PM
will AI play tonight for the pistons? i remember when ricky davis was traded to the wolves he played that same day and dropped over 30 points.

KRAYZIE
11-03-2008, 01:55 PM

Any input gentlemen?
J.R. is definetly going to benefit from this for sure. Now, he'll probably get to start, but then again, as long as Karl runs the show, anything can happen. If J.R. does start, then our bench gets worse. :ohwell:

mswank
11-03-2008, 01:55 PM
love it for detroit...don't really get it on the nuggets side of the equation...seems to me like they're blowing it up and starting over again soon..i hope they dont think that this trade made it any more likely of them doing anything this year or next. weird really from them.

as far as motown it's real smart...they dont have to keep ai after this year. he doesnt even have to handle the ball that much this year...he can play 2 easily if thats what they want. he can also play the point well with that much talent around him.

ai-rip-tay-sheed-amir johnson

i mean thats pretty fearsome. that's not even putting stuckey and maxiell in the mix. damn theyre smart.

OneMoreSucka
11-03-2008, 01:56 PM
will AI play tonight for the pistons? i remember when ricky davis was traded to the wolves he played that same day and dropped over 30 points.
Definitely not. Maybe sometime next week. Gotta go through all the health checkups and whatnot.

picc84
11-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Seems like a lateral move to me. :confusedshrug:

El Kabong
11-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Remember years ago when AI was going to get traded to Detroit, but Matt Geiger wouldn't veto his trade kicker and the deal never went through. Who'd think he'd eventually make his way back.

OneMoreSucka
J.R. is definetly going to benefit from this for sure. Now, he'll probably get to start, but then again, as long as Karl runs the show, anything can happen. If J.R. does start, then our bench gets worse. :ohwell:
I'm sure Balk/Jones will get more minutes though. It's not THAT bad of a bench...

A.M.G.
Could be a good trade for both teams.

Detroit gets a former MVP and one of the most durable and prolific scorers in NBA history to maybe allow them to top the Celtics and get back to Finals. They aren't winning a title with their current lineup, getting a superstar ballhog could be the kind of shakeup they need. Better to try and win now than to let Chauncey, Sheed, and McDyess fade away. They could maybe re-sign AI for a smaller contract after this season and become legit contenders again for a year or two.

For the Nuggets, they get a Colorado native (I think) who is much more of a traditional PG to handle Melo, JR, Nene, and that Russian mob enforcer guy. And he can still score and defend well. Melo and AI sort of cancel each other out, you don't really need two #1 options like that, both don't do that much without the ball in their hands. This allows Melo to be the focus of the team once again, and will hopefully develop into more of a leader.

The two players are of comparable age, so the threat of decline is equal, and neither has a problem with injuries, Billups because he's smart, AI because he is a freak of nature. I don't know the contract situation, but on paper it looks good for both teams.

tontoz
11-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Great move for Denver. Now they can start a big backcourt of Billups/Smith instead of a mini-me backcourt of Iverson/Carter?. This makes a huge difference defensively. Great trade.

not sure what Dumars is up to.

Kiddlovesnets
11-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Congratulations to the Nuggets fans, your team is now locked for a play-off tickets and the chance to make the 2nd round is also bright.

JPR
11-03-2008, 02:00 PM
is AI the PG?

AI
Rip
Tayshaun
Amir
Sheed?

Or is Stuck the PG?

Stuck
AI
Rip
Prince
Sheed

ihatetimthomas
11-03-2008, 02:01 PM
is AI the PG?

AI
Rip
Tayshaun
Amir
Sheed?

Or is Stuck the PG?

Stuck
AI
Rip
Prince
Sheed

That second unit is not going to work. Way too undersized

The Italian
11-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I don't know the contract situation, but on paper it looks good for both teams.

AI expires after this season (22 million or something like that) and Billups has about 3-4 more years (I think 4) left on his contract, but I am not sure what the money is.

OneMoreSucka
11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Could be a good trade for both teams.

Detroit gets a former MVP and one of the most durable and prolific scorers in NBA history to maybe allow them to top the Celtics and get back to Finals. They aren't winning a title with their current lineup, getting a superstar ballhog could be the kind of shakeup they need. Better to try and win now than to let Chauncey, Sheed, and McDyess fade away. They could maybe re-sign AI for a smaller contract after this season and become legit contenders again for a year or two.

For the Nuggets, they get a Colorado native (I think) who is much more of a traditional PG to handle Melo, JR, Nene, and that Russian mob enforcer guy. And he can still score and defend well. Melo and AI sort of cancel each other out, you don't really need two #1 options like that, both don't do that much without the ball in their hands. This allows Melo to be the focus of the team once again, and will hopefully develop into more of a leader.

The two players are of comparable age, so the threat of decline is equal, and neither has a problem with injuries, Billups because he's smart, AI because he is a freak of nature. I don't know the contract situation, but on paper it looks good for both teams.

Exactly. We weren't getting it done with Iverson for whatever reasons, so why not take a gamble early in the season to see if some more chemistry will spark with a true PG.

stephanieg
11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Bosh will look nice in a Detroit uniform.

iggy>
11-03-2008, 02:05 PM
horrible trade for detroit. iverson is nothing more than a chucker who plays absolutely no defense. i cant believe dumars did this.

The Italian
11-03-2008, 02:05 PM
And the Raptors would never trade him for anybody on Detroit.

What is the point of even mentioning that? There is no way that it happens. The only way you see Bosh in a Detroit uniform is if the picture is photoshopped.

Hammertime
11-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Don't act like Billups was a finals MVP last year, he himself has declined as well. Billups has been dissapointing the past few seasons.

The Nuggets are still getting more for him from the Pistons than the Sixers got from the Nuggets.

Either way, I wouldn't trade a pair of old socks for Iverson, so I'm surprised to see someone would offer a former All-Star.

Myth
11-03-2008, 02:10 PM
BOO! I don't like this trade. It makes Denver better, and that could be bad for Portland's playoff hopes.

A.M.G.
11-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Wait, is this ACTUALLY happening? I didn't realize how far along it was.

Qwyjibo
Hopefully this trade isn't finalized until tomorrow night. It would be nice for the Raptors to play a Pistons team on Wednesday without Billups or Iverson.

KRAYZIE
AI is a ball hog, only a "F&cking idiot" (as you would say) would dispute that fact. And AI is so old and worn out, he can't play 1 lick of defense, thus why he was the perfect Denver Nugget.
There's no point in "disputing facts" with a proven troll. Try watching some of the Nugget games will ya? In fact, go look up his game in the last 3 that he played and tell me how much of a ballhog he really is again.
And I love the "he can't play 1 lick of defense". Right, as if he just stands there picking his nose or takes a nap on the defensive end during games. :hammerhead:

Sonic R
11-03-2008, 02:13 PM
411:
I have a source that says

KRAYZIE
11-03-2008, 02:14 PM
horrible trade for detroit. iverson is nothing more than a chucker who plays absolutely no defense. i cant believe dumars did this.
Still bitter huh?

flintstone
11-03-2008, 02:15 PM
I think Iverson will enjoy the rest he is going to get in Detroit, lots of players moving in and out of the rotation...the M. Curry balanced attack plan, is working well so far.

Billups gets Denver into the playoffs...I don't think they were headed there this year...as is.

Myth
11-03-2008, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=Sonic R]411:

JPR
11-03-2008, 02:18 PM

bosh, wade, or Bron

but will these stars want to go to Detroit (knowing the city and the weather)?

the funny thing is now the Pistons won't be able to rebound at all!

you can't win ish without rebounding the ball. Amir will have to become Dwight Howard for the Pistons to have any chance of postseason success.

ballinforkeeps
11-03-2008, 02:18 PM
notta bad trade for both teams. i dont like the trade at all but it helps both teams

detroit gets a superstar caliber scorer in ai, and detroit did need a superstar on their team after all and now they have it.

denver gets billups whos better at defense and playmaking and not as good fo a scorer as ai, he still a good one

and dice gives them a defensive big.

good move for detroit finding superstar and denver for adding defense. both teams still aint gonna win a title but should be better, at least on paper.

detroit have amir, walter, etc to fill dice's void. amir breakout season can be this season now that dice is gone.

Sonic R
11-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Why? Aren't they in the need for some frontcourt depth?

I don't want to put a Jerry Stackhouse mark on this trade lets put it that way.

Moose
11-03-2008, 02:21 PM
It will be interesting to see how this trade pans out for both teams. IMO, I think this trade is better for the Nugs. They have a solid starting 5. Not sure how it will go for the Pistons.

JJ81
11-03-2008, 02:26 PM
http://www.nba.com/2008/news/11/03/nuggets.pistons.trade.ap/index.html

Thoughts?

DOMINATOR
pistons got way better deal... save money plus still contend for a title this year. who wouldnt do that.

JPR
I wonder what made Detroit waive the white flag and give up on the season....

maybe Hammond was the brains in Motown...and not dumars. on NBAtv they said that Iverson not only lost 1 step this year but 2 or 3! and on the radio they said the deal hinged on McDyess being waived and re-signing with Deetroit in 30 days.

KRAYZIE
11-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Sticky.

Moose
11-03-2008, 02:29 PM
All I know is that Iverson Nuggets jerseys and Billups Pistons jerseys will be going for dirt cheap on eBay.

Luigi
11-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Detroit is rebuilding.
Iverson is a huge expirer but still does more for your team than Raef Lafrentz to keep the fans happy.

I expect to see the youth movement next year.
Stucky
Hamilton/Afflalo
Prince/Herman
Johnson/Maxiell
Brown

They will have around a 45M payroll next year. That means a bigman free agent big (they could try to get Memo back) and could even trade Hamilton.

You won't even recognize them in 2 years.
----------
Denver will have a new core to set their hopes on: Billups and Anthony. They both have long cotracts.
All they needed right now was a good point and another big. They'll have both if McDyess still wants to play.

Defense out of Billups, Balkman, Martin and McDyess...I can't believe the Nuggets might be tough.

Starters: Billups/Smith/Anthony/Martin/Nene
Reserve: AC/Balkman/Kleiza/Birdman/Dyess

They finally have a complete team.

All around bad news for Utah. Denver's legit and Detroit can try to steal their free agents.

flintstone
11-03-2008, 02:35 PM

maybe Hammond was the brains in Motown...and not dumars. on NBAtv they said that Iverson not only lost 1 step this year but 2 or 3! and on the radio they said the deal hinged on McDyess being waived and re-signing with Deetroit in 30 days.

Thats kinda silly....we beat Orlando in the playoffs without Billups. You should not pretend to know whats going on with the Pistons....or what any plans are.

I sure don't...but then again, I didn't make the silly statement

Luigi
11-03-2008, 02:39 PM

That would make a lot of Denver fans sad. Dyess would really support their thin big men.

JPR
11-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Thats kinda silly....we beat Orlando in the playoffs without Billups. You should not pretend to know whats going on with the Pistons....or what any plans are.

I sure don't...but then again, I didn't make the silly statement

Orlando?! The Magic...LOL. what a bunch of scared babies. that team is 100% fugazy. i've never seen a team get so scared at the start of the postseason. they totally flopped in the playoffs. i wouldn't read anything into defeating that team. they're too young to be considered a serious threat.

PhillyPhilly80
11-03-2008, 02:43 PM
This is GREAT for the Sixers...definitely knocks Detroit from the top 3 or 4 teams in the East. :cheers:

Sonic R
11-03-2008, 02:44 PM
LOL

Well, McDyess doesn't want to be in Denver.

This is a possible snag in the deal.

McDyess says he may retire now

Looten Plunder
Do fringe All Stars in the West benefit from the removal of AI from the ballots?

Is AI still popular enough to start in the East?

Will coaches punish AI for his bad rep and keep him out of the game?

Beebo
Hopefully this trade isn't finalized until tomorrow night. It would be nice for the Raptors to play a Pistons team on Wednesday without Billups or Iverson.

Haha yeah, I was thinking the same thing.....hopefully those guys won't play and the Raptors would have it easier. :lol

Kombo
I think the 6ers might be the Pistons hardest potential playoff matchplay. Detroit can't rebound against dalembert and brand, and now the guards are too big for us.

boozehound
11-03-2008, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=Sonic R]411:

nugsfreak
11-03-2008, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=Sonic R]LOL

Well, McDyess doesn't want to be in Denver.

This is a possible snag in the deal.

McDyess says he may retire now

nugsfreak
11-03-2008, 02:47 PM
that makes no sense. He would be their best reserve big by a long shot.

it sounds to me like he wanted to play in Detroit or not play at all. Which would force the nugs to waive him.

Allstar24
11-03-2008, 02:47 PM
LMAO at McDyess, you can't blame the guy for not wanting to play in Denver :oldlol:

Luigi
11-03-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm sure Stern doesn't look kindly on trading and waiving players just to satisfy trade-rule demands. Seemed like he slowed down Diop from getting waived, even though he still returned to Dallas.

Mikaiel
Do fringe All Stars in the West benefit from the removal of AI from the ballots?

Is AI still popular enough to start in the East?

Will coaches punish AI for his bad rep and keep him out of the game?

I think he's gonna start along with Wade in the backcourt. Maybe Arenas can take his starting place though.

El Kabong
Wait, don't they have rules about waiving a guy so he can sign with his old team. Dice better not open his mouth like Stackhouse did last year. Or else he's gonna have to as he says, retire, or go get waived (Damnit, why can't we say he was fired?) and sign with another team.

2LeTTeRS
11-03-2008, 02:49 PM
sounds like they're going to waive him. which sucks but hey the nugs definitely improved if you ask me,
Have you heard that anywhere else or just relying on posters here? I'm just popping in from class and see this trade. If Dyess goes to Denver, the Nuggets team this year will be much better than the team they had at the end of last year. I understand not winning to move but this can be a really good team.

Billups | JR | Melo | Kenyon or Dyess |Nene will win 50+ games. Don't ruin this Dyess.

flintstone
11-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Orlando?! The Magic...LOL. what a bunch of scared babies. that team is 100% fugazy. i've never seen a team get so scared at the start of the postseason. they totally flopped in the playoffs. i wouldn't read anything into defeating that team. they're too young to be considered a serious threat.

Oh?....and the top teams in the East are?....got a list?

Note: please don't include wanna.be teams.....I like a little proof (has a little more substance)

El Kabong
11-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Why wouldn't he want to play in Denver anyway? He's been on the team twice before, he signed a contract with them 8-9 years ago even though he had offers from Phoenix and Houston.

Myth
11-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Have you heard that anywhere else or just relying on posters here? I'm just popping in from class and see this trade. If Dyess goes to Denver, the Nuggets team this year will be much better than the team they had at the end of last year. I understand not winning to move but this can be a really good team.

Billups | JR | Melo | Kenyon or Dyess |Nene will win 50+ games. Don't ruin this Dyess.

Stephen A. Smith said they will waive him.

nugsfreak
11-03-2008, 02:53 PM

Denver plans to buy out McDyess's contract so it appears he won't actually play for the Nuggets
denverpost
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10887199 (at the bottom)

boozehound
11-03-2008, 02:53 PM

the nba.com page says this.

There is one sticking point to the deal, though. McDyess does not want to go to Denver, and a source close to him says "he will not put on a Nuggets uniform" and may opt to retire.

Because of McDyess's objection, the Nuggets may waive the mandatory physical each player in a trade must take in order for the league to approve any deal. McDyess may be seeking a buyout of the remainder of his contract (two years, $13.6 million).

The deal has not been finalized but the teams are holding a conference call with the league. http://www.nba.com/2008/news/11/03/nuggets.pistons.trade.ap/index.html
thatd be awesome if all we lsot was billups for ai. ill take that.

JPR
11-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Oh?....and the top teams in the East are?....got a list?

Note: please don't include wanna.be teams.....I like a little proof (has a little more substance)

Celtics and Cavs/end discussion

then Sixers and Raptors.

then who knows...magic are there, so are the pistons (right around #6).

nugsfreak
11-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Why wouldn't he want to play in Denver anyway? He's been on the team twice before, he signed a contract with them 8-9 years ago even though he had offers from Phoenix and Houston.

don't know, it sounded like he wanted to retire with Detroit. But so did Iverson with the nuggets... who knows. Its all speculation at this point.

nugsfreak
11-03-2008, 02:57 PM
the nba.com page says this.

There is one sticking point to the deal, though. McDyess does not want to go to Denver, and a source close to him says "he will not put on a Nuggets uniform" and may opt to retire.

Because of McDyess's objection, the Nuggets may waive the mandatory physical each player in a trade must take in order for the league to approve any deal. McDyess may be seeking a buyout of the remainder of his contract (two years, $13.6 million).

The deal has not been finalized but the teams are holding a conference call with the league. http://www.nba.com/2008/news/11/03/nuggets.pistons.trade.ap/index.html
thatd be awesome if all we lsot was billups for ai. ill take that.

it won't work money wise, it sounds like Samb(i think thats his name) is also going to be included along with Dyesse. Dyesee would then be waived and the nuggets would end up with Samb and Billups.

new noise
11-03-2008, 02:59 PM
The collective low IQ of all the Pistons haters really brings this thread down. 'Duh D-troit iz dumb Ivreson way over payed and not gud play point gard'. I hate people.

Yikes @ how ridiculous Detroit's roster may be in two years time. If you look at the money they end up saving, Joe D will probably be able to sign not one but two of the big name FA's in the next 2 summers, and probably still be a serious contender. That's unheard of in this day and age. If you don't think this is a genius move for the Pistons, just kill yourself.

Think how attractive Detroit will look in the free agent market when they can say to LeBron, 'by the way we'll also be getting one of Chris Bosh, Amare, Wade, Yao, Joe Johnson etc for you'.

picc84
11-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Actually, I take it back. This is a very good move for Detroit. They become a wildcard for this year, Iverson could make them a lot better, and the capspace is going to be amazing. Denver I think stayed about the same.

picc84
11-03-2008, 03:09 PM
I would love to get McDyess in LA, even though i know it wont happen. *sigh*

guy
11-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Would be very entertaining to see Philly vs. Detroit in the playoffs.

mjbulls23
11-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't like Detroit, but this is a great move for them. A motivated Iverson back in the weaker East. Not to mention the $30 million + in cap room they'll have (Sheed & Iverson's expirers) after this season if things don't work out. The old team as is was NOT going to beat Boston. Not saying this one will but it gives them a chance and allows them to rebuild quickly while staying competitive this season. Denver will improve right away as well but still will not do much good for them out West. Maybe win a playoff series at best.

InspiredLebowski
11-03-2008, 03:16 PM
WTF you were supposed to trade for Tinsley Denver!

Interminator
11-03-2008, 03:17 PM
The collective low IQ of all the Pistons haters really brings this thread down. 'Duh D-troit iz dumb Ivreson way over payed and not gud play point gard'. I hate people.

Yikes @ how ridiculous Detroit's roster may be in two years time. If you look at the money they end up saving, Joe D will probably be able to sign not one but two of the big name FA's in the next 2 summers, and probably still be a serious contender. That's unheard of in this day and age. If you don't think this is a genius move for the Pistons, just kill yourself.

Think how attractive Detroit will look in the free agent market when they can say to LeBron, 'by the way we'll also be getting one of Chris Bosh, Amare, Wade, Yao, Joe Johnson etc for you'.
So you're just suggesting that Detroit will not resign Rip at the end of next season?

KRAYZIE
11-03-2008, 03:19 PM
WTF you were supposed to trade for Tinsley Denver!
I wish, then we'd still have AI on the team.:cry:

GOBB
11-03-2008, 03:21 PM
So Denver traded Andre Miller, Joe Smith for AI then 2yrs later trade AI for Billups and Mcdyess. Is it me or is this pretty much a similar deal and Denver back to where they originally were?

Glove_20
11-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Pistons franchise is about to fall for good

markymark
11-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Pistons franchise is about to fall for good

i love gp but you are a hating retard.

richie, who ya gonna root for? haha

Glove_20
11-03-2008, 03:22 PM
So Denver traded Andre Miller, Joe Smith for AI then 2yrs later trade AI for Billups and Mcdyess. Is it me or is this pretty much a similar deal and Denver back to where they originally were?

They've figured out that they were better originally than they were with AI.

JPR
11-03-2008, 03:23 PM

Oh yeah! Detroit is such a great place to live...I'm sure all of the NBA wives want to move and shop there.

DuMa
11-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Denver shouldve kept Andre Miller.

obonpaxis
11-03-2008, 03:24 PM
This would never actually happen, but maybe a good scenario for Detroit:

Starters:

Stuckey
Rip
Tay
Sheed
Amir

with Iverson logging 30mpg off the bench as 6th man. He'd have the greenlight to shoot with 2nd unit, and could play in end-game situations.

Yeah I know. Won't happen.

KRAYZIE
11-03-2008, 03:25 PM
i love gp but you are a hating retard.

richie, who ya gonna root for? haha
Watchu talkin' about man, he's still with us. (I hope):lol

Lakers Fan
11-03-2008, 03:29 PM
I would love to get McDyess in LA, even though i know it wont happen. *sigh*

On paper he would look good added to any team but he would just ruin the Lakers youth and speed chemistry, plus he would take time to learn on the job with the Triangle. If he took minutes from the other Laker's players. it would not be a positive thing.

GOBB
11-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Detroit has a Sixers feel. Max/Sheed/Prince = defenders/rebounders who can score when needed but not lookin to score. Rip the shooter with AI proving the scoring punch.

final.wrath
11-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Good trade. And its likely Dyess comes back to play with us.

Billups thought he was a lot better than he was. Iverson fits better with our style under Curry. I'm happy.

All you haters saying Detroit actually gets worse from this deal got another thing coming.

catzhernandez
11-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Man, this really makes that 2004 championship team seem like AGES ago now.

flintstone
11-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Oh yeah! Detroit is such a great place to live...I'm sure all of the NBA wives want to move and shop there.

Your a total stupid...and you sound more stupid with each post. The Pistons don't play in Detroit, and the Oakland county area (where they do play)....is one of the richest areas in the nation

picc84
11-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Iversons never been on a team this good. I know he dribbles a lot and Chauncey can run the offense better and yadda yadda yadda but Iverson averages 10 more points, more assists, and more rebounds. He is clearly the better player regardless of fit, which may not be as consequential as everyone thinks. This was a move Detroit couldn't NOT make. The potential for this year, and the money for free agency. Kudos to Dumars for having the balls.

InspiredLebowski
Hear that? Your a total stupid!

JPR
Hear that? Your a total stupid!

a tear just shed my eye...

Your a total stupid...and you sound more stupid with each post. The Pistons don't play in Detroit, and the Oakland county area (where they do play)....is one of the richest areas in the nation

I am a "total stupid" :lol

you get the idea though. besides, how is that weather in detroit? is it a large market like chicago? shall i keep going?

Attila
11-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah, West Bloomfield, Bloomfield Hills, Rochester, all great areas. RIP used to live like 5 minutes away from me in West Bloomfield.

AItheAnswer3
11-03-2008, 03:42 PM
:banghead:

JPR
11-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Yeah, West Bloomfield, Bloomfield Hills, Rochester, all great areas. RIP used to live like 5 minutes away from me in West Bloomfield.

No doubt Motown has some of the nicest suburbs in America, that's what happens when the city close to those burbs has some serious problems. but it is still not a big market and it has other drawbacks. we'll see though.

Scott Pippen
11-03-2008, 03:43 PM
:banghead:
Iverson maybe wins championship this year:applause:

Younggrease
11-03-2008, 03:45 PM
This is great for Melo and AI's career. Melo's career has been revived.

KempSonics
11-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Actually athletes love playing in Detroit.

The area in which the athletes live= very wealthy, clean, no crime, great schools, laid back and hassle free. Easy to get around.

Detroit's a great sports town

The media in Detroit doesn't harass you.

No one lives in inner city Detroit einstein.

With Dumars in charge, the Pistons will be able able to get a prime FA if they got the cash and now they do.

InspiredLebowski
11-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Does Melo lead the league in scoring now?

Grinder
11-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Love this trade for both teams:

Pistons: As soon as Stuckey emerged, Billups was replaceable. The Pistons get their reliable volume scorer and he'll fit into the back court perfectly with Hamilton and Prince who don't need to handle the ball to be effective. McDyess being traded also means more minutes for Maxiell.

Denver: Get a point guard with the size and speed to match up defensively with Deron Williams, CP3, Steve Nash, etc. They get a distributor and a good 3 point threat to spread the floor for Melo. This also opens up room to put JR Smith into the starting lineup.

flintstone
11-03-2008, 03:47 PM
a tear just shed my eye...

I am a "total stupid" :lol

you get the idea though. besides, how is that weather in detroit? is it a large market like chicago? shall i keep going?

Ya...I probably just mentioned what everyone already knew....old news :roll:

GOBB
11-03-2008, 03:47 PM
This is great for Melo and AI's career. Melo's career has been revived.

I dont wanna hear AI stunted Melo's growth as a ball player if he doesnt do what you expect him too since AI is gone.

KempSonics
11-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Prince/Hermann

Sheed/Maxiell

Johnson/McDyess/Kwame

Iverson/Stuckey

Rip/Afflalo

picc84
11-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Anyone else realize that this is the first nba trade in a long, long time thats been pretty much even? :applause:

Usually trades are supposed to be about teams exchanging basically even level of talent players according to their team needs, but lately its just been pure rape.

AItheAnswer3
11-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Iverson maybe wins championship this year:applause:

I'd love it but I dont see how he will. Cavs and Boston are 2 teams that I still consider better than Detroit.

JayGuevara
11-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Actually athletes love playing in Detroit.

The area in which the athletes live= very wealthy, clean, no crime, great schools, laid back and hassle free. Easy to get around.

Detroit's a great sports town

The media in Detroit doesn't harass you.

No one lives in inner city Detroit einstein.

With Dumars in charge, the Pistons will be able able to get a prime FA if they got the cash and now they do.

Oakland County is safe and very well off for the most part. Minus a few exceptions such as Township (TSB!), and parts of Oak Park, Southfield, and Pontiac. The city is tryin to spread there, but nobody makin 20 mill a year is gonna stay next door to me on 7 Mile. :oldlol:

But obviously the weather and atmosphere is nowhere near a Miami or LA, nor the bitches either. :(

JPR
11-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Ya...I probably just mentioned what everyone already knew....old news :roll:

:lol this kid is hilarious! what do you have the day off from school or something?

Wiiner
11-03-2008, 03:54 PM
AI is more of a shooting guard who gets points based on how many shots he takes. I doubt he will be running the Pistons Offense.

Rip Hamilton is cemented in as shooting guard.

Stuckey is probably going to pick up 35+ minutes a night with the trade.

So where is AI's place? :bowdown:

StroShow4
11-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Does Melo lead the league in scoring now?

wouldn't surprise me if he puts up 30 a game.. it will probably be between him and 'bron now that kobe has all kinds of help.

InspiredLebowski
11-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Anyone else realize that this is the first nba trade in a long, long time thats been pretty much even? :applause:

Usually trades are supposed to be about teams exchanging basically even level of talent players according to their team needs, but lately its just been pure rape.

The Indy/Toronto deal.

Grinder
11-03-2008, 04:00 PM
I'd love it but I dont see how he will. Cavs and Boston are 2 teams that I still consider better than Detroit.

Cavs? Hell no.

Most overrated team in the league. Still the Cleveland LeBron's even with Mo Williams. One guy can only do so much, without a jumper at that.

picc84
11-03-2008, 04:02 PM
The Indy/Toronto deal.

Oh yeah. And there's actually a couple others. What was I thinking? Oh well. :lol

mlh1981
11-03-2008, 04:02 PM
As a Cavs fan, I'm conditioned to hate Detroit, but A.I is my second favorite player, so it's a bit strange for me to digest at the moment. Besides that, pretty much everything has probably already been said about this trade in this thread.

BankShot
11-03-2008, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=Sonic R]
Don't know what to think either. AI is a lame duck and Sheed is at the end

Younggrease
11-03-2008, 04:03 PM
I dont wanna hear AI stunted Melo's growth as a ball player if he doesnt do what you expect him too since AI is gone.

Melo about to join the MVP conversation... he isnt gonna win but he will be in converation.

AItheAnswer3
11-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Cavs? Hell no.

Most overrated team in the league. Still the Cleveland LeBron's even with Mo Williams. One guy can only do so much, without a jumper at that.

Well, Cavs arent a regular season team and they always come up big in the playoffs. They even knocked out Detroit in the 07 playoffs and took the Celtics to 7 games. They have certainly improved by adding Mo. :confusedshrug:

InspiredLebowski
11-03-2008, 04:06 PM
So McDyess has agreed to go to Denver, or do we have a Devaen George scenario?

daballa13
11-03-2008, 04:07 PM
AI is more of a shooting guard who gets points based on how many shots he takes. I doubt he will be running the Pistons Offense.

The Free Throw Line.

catzhernandez
They need to trade Rip for a PF or C now. :lol

Perhaps Rip for Ilgauskas and a 1st?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=294~362&teams=5~8&te=&cash=

Works for both...

Det

C-Big Z
PF-Sheed
SF-Prince
SG-AI
PG-Stuckey
6th-Maxiell
7th-Johnson
8th-Afflalo
9th-Herrmann
10th-Brown

Cle

C-Varejao
PF-Ben
SF-LeBron
SG-Rip
PG-MoWill
6th-West
7th-Wally
8th-Gibson
9th-Hickson
10th-Wright

It's a win/win.

jrcp3
A.i will be the Starting PG .... he now actually has players how he can FULLY trust ..... Rip and Prince, they demand respect from any player including iverson .... member A.i avgs like 6 - 7 apg ..... but as for Iverson and Rasheed LOL WHO KNOWS WHAT HAPPENS .... BOTH ARE KNUCKLE HEADS or at least Iverson was .... Rasheed still is and always will be !

Wiiner
11-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Trade the person who has run our offense for 6+ years for someone who likes to shoot and sometimes steals and who has been shrugged off to a Shootin Guard role when we already have Rip Hamilton at shooting guard.

Okay so Stuckey is good enough to be a starting point guard. Where does Iverson fit in? Obviously Iverson has a lot of learning to do before he can take over running a team. And if he has an expiring contract whats the point of teaching him to run the offense, when stuckey will be the starter next year?

Put Iverson on the bench, make him the 6th man guard. What the **** else are we suppossed to do?

Dumb trade. :wtf: Stuckey could've learned so much more behind Billups in the next few years.

PS Chauncey has a ring. Iverson will never get one at this rate.

mlh1981
11-03-2008, 04:09 PM

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=294~362&teams=5~8&te=&cash=

Works for both...

Det

C-Big Z
PF-Sheed
SF-Prince
SG-AI
PG-Stuckey
6th-Maxiell
7th-Johnson
8th-Afflalo
9th-Herrmann
10th-Brown

Cle

C-Varejao
PF-Ben
SF-LeBron
SG-Rip
PG-MoWill
6th-West
7th-Wally
8th-Gibson
9th-Hickson
10th-Wright

It's a win/win.

It would leave the Cavs with the worst scoring frontcourt in the history of the NBA and would rip the team of one of it's core guys and leaders.

catzhernandez
11-03-2008, 04:10 PM
It would leave the Cavs with the worst scoring frontcourt in the history of the NBA and would rip the team of one of it's core guys and leaders.
Yeah, Ben and Varejao is BAAAAAD.

InspiredLebowski
11-03-2008, 04:12 PM
This is not a trade for this season. It's a trade for this summer. Joe Dumars is a genius, and frankly I'm a bit jealous.

Denver's front office appears inept, make up your mind on the direction of your franchise.

Wiiner
11-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Why would we put Stuckey on the bench if we only got AI for expiring contracts?

He'll be on some other team next year. Anything less than another conference finals and this trade is a huge bust.

Y2Gezee
11-03-2008, 04:17 PM
This is not a trade for this season. It's a trade for this summer. Joe Dumars is a genius, and frankly I'm a bit jealous.

Denver's front office appears inept, make up your mind on the direction of your franchise.

Well I love the move by the Denver front office, if Billups plays to his talent level then he's a perfect fit for what Denver wants and needs to do as he's a real pg, can defend and probably most importantly shoot the 3.

1 thing that people fail to realize, is that as much as people say Chauncey was expendable because of Stuckey, AI is probably even more expendable because of JR and basically the numerous other scorers Denver has and Chauncey doesn't really suck at that either

EricForman
11-03-2008, 04:18 PM

i think this could work. AI definitely fits with Pistons more than the Nuggets.

But they still got no shot in hell of winning it all though.

brandonislegend
11-03-2008, 04:18 PM
they never should have traded andre miller, but now they have a better version of him. Expect real big things from melo.

Rekindled
11-03-2008, 04:21 PM
i think this could work. AI definitely fits with Pistons more than the Nuggets.

But they still got no shot in hell of winning it all though.

I dont think this will be the last trade for the pistons.

SCdac
So what, the Nuggets essentially traded Andre Miller for Chauncey Billups?

I'm leaving out other players, maybe draft picks/money, but I'm kind of suprised Denver didn't opt to keep Iverson till he expires.

Iverson in Detroit will be, well, kind of weird, but you have to think he'll come out "motivated", maybe even ready to tone down a bit for the sake of the team... but is that his game?

InspiredLebowski
Well I love the move by the Denver front office, if Billups plays to his talent level then he's a perfect fit for what Denver wants and needs to do as he's a real pg, can defend and probably most importantly shoot the 3.

1 thing that people fail to realize, is that as much as people say Chauncey was expendable because of Stuckey, AI is probably even more expendable because of JR and basically the numerous other scorers Denver has and Chauncey doesn't really suck at that either

I'm not saying Billups is a horrible player, far, far from it. But his deal is going to hurt, starting very soon. It just doesn't make sense after the moves they'd made to cut salary in the offseason, they were poised to have AI's massive deal coming off the books, now they bring in a contract I hate. All goes well, Denver does what, 2nd round? They just can't seem to pick a direction.

catzhernandez
Man, if only Denver hadn't of let go of Camby, they'd be in a much better situation, especially if Dyess retires or wants to be waived.

Camby
Martin
Melo
Smith
Billups
--
Nene
Anderson
Kleiza
Balkman
Carter

is dangerous.

bdreason
11-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Interesting trade.

Pistons get a little more explosive on offense.

Nuggets get some needed leadership at the point, as well as another bigman to help Nene.

Melo and JR Smith fantasy owners should be happy.

catzhernandez
11-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Definitely not.

EricForman
11-03-2008, 04:23 PM

Unless the next trade will bring in someone who will take the best player/#1 option title from Iverson (and knock him to the #2 spot), the Pistons still aint gonna win it all. No team with Iverson as the #1 option/best player will win it all.

I'm not hating on AI. But really... undersized shoot-first guard ain't the right foundation to build a winning team. Especially at Iverson's age. Right now he's not even a top five guard in the league.

Wiiner
11-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Lets hope the future trades make more sense.

bdreason
11-03-2008, 04:26 PM
So what, the Nuggets essentially traded Andre Miller for Chauncey Billups?

I'm leaving out other players, maybe draft picks/money, but I'm kind of suprised Denver didn't opt to keep Iverson till he expires.

Iverson in Detroit will be, well, kind of weird, but you have to think he'll come out "motivated", maybe even ready to tone down a bit for the sake of the team... but is that his game?

Well, the thing is, the Pistons can use AI's scoring. The Pistons also lacked someone who could penetrate consistantly and break down the defense. Look for RIP's and Tayshaun's numbers to increase with AI breaking down defenses and kicking it out.

chocolatethunder
11-03-2008, 04:26 PM
A.i will be the Starting PG .... he now actually has players how he can FULLY trust ..... Rip and Prince, they demand respect from any player including iverson .... member A.i avgs like 6 - 7 apg ..... but as for Iverson and Rasheed LOL WHO KNOWS WHAT HAPPENS .... BOTH ARE KNUCKLE HEADS or at least Iverson was .... Rasheed still is and always will be !
When will the excuses stop? What's wrong w/Melo and everyone else in Denver?

SHEED_ gangsta
11-03-2008, 04:27 PM
how so? they were 6 games short (hypothectially speaking) last year?. Iverson is much better than Billups on offense how many points did they lose by in game six? 10 11? AI scores close to 30 points per game esspecailly in the playoffs :confusedshrug: who knows ????

bballnoob
11-03-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm not saying Billups is a horrible player, far, far from it. But his deal is going to hurt, starting very soon. It just doesn't make sense after the moves they'd made to cut salary in the offseason, they were poised to have AI's massive deal coming off the books, now they bring in a contract I hate. All goes well, Denver does what, 2nd round? They just can't seem to pick a direction.

Agreed. Defeats the purpose of the Camby deal.

Better move for Detroit IMO. They aren't in a position to be knocking of Boston/LA so might as well begin retooling now with the cap room. Also, Iverson brings a different dimension of offense to the Pistons. He can attack the paint as opposed to the more jumpshooting oriented Pistons before. Yeah he's inefficient as hell but there's more flexibility at least for the offense.

insidehoops
11-03-2008, 04:28 PM
The trade is official now

http://www.insidehoops.com/iverson-billups-trade-110308.shtml

bdreason
11-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Unless the next trade will bring in someone who will take the best player/#1 option title from Iverson (and knock him to the #2 spot), the Pistons still aint gonna win it all. No team with Iverson as the #1 option/best player will win it all.

I'm not hating on AI. But really... undersized shoot-first guard ain't the right foundation to build a winning team. Especially at Iverson's age. Right now he's not even a top five guard in the league.

ummm AI took a worse team to the Finals before.

I don't think it will happen this time, but don't act like it's impossible. The East got better, but it still isn't that good.

I could see the Pistons in the ECF against the Celtics. They'll probably lose, but anything can happen.

EricForman
11-03-2008, 04:32 PM
how so? they were 6 games short (hypothectially speaking) last year?. Iverson is much better than Billups on offense how many points did they lose by in game six? 10 11? AI scores close to 30 points per game esspecailly in the playoffs :confusedshrug: who knows ????

There is more to winning basketball than just adding the PPG of a player and see if that covers the average margin of points they lose a game by, LOL.

Meticode
11-03-2008, 04:34 PM

Works for both...

Det

C-Big Z
PF-Sheed
SF-Prince
SG-AI
PG-Stuckey
6th-Maxiell
7th-Johnson
8th-Afflalo
9th-Herrmann
10th-Brown

Cle

C-Varejao
PF-Ben
SF-LeBron
SG-Rip
PG-MoWill
6th-West
7th-Wally
8th-Gibson
9th-Hickson
10th-Wright

It's a win/win.

I totally disagree. This leaves Cleveland with no one who can consistently score down low at all. Wallace isn't going to do it, Varajeo isn't going to do it, Wright isn't going to do it, Hickson isn't going to do it.

As much as I like Hamilton and the fact he's one of the best mid-ranger shooters in the game, this hurts Cleveland more than helping them since they'll be specifically a jump shooting team with almost no offense near the basket.

catzhernandez
11-03-2008, 04:35 PM
I totally disagree. This leaves Cleveland with no one who can consistently score down low at all. Wallace isn't going to do it, Varajeo isn't going to do it, Wright isn't going to do it, Hickson isn't going to do it.
Sign PJ Brown? :confusedshrug:

:lol

A Roc 23
11-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Billups
JR Smith
Melo
Kenyon
Nene

That's so much better then the other starting lineup it's not even close.

matt1016
11-03-2008, 04:37 PM
I like Iverson as a sixth man for the Stones. He could come in and play either guard spot and provide instant offense. He and Afflalo would work together well. I doubt that is in the cards, but it would be the best scenario.

Rip and AI are not going to mesh well. Rip will be running through his last screen and AI will have already moved on to the next offensive option (dribble, dribble, shot for himself.)

I wonder if Rip is the next to go?

Noob Saibot
11-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I can't believe Iverson is a Piston. damn! This might bring Detroit back to the very top of the east. It's like he's back on his old team, but's it not Philly. crazy trade.

tsforthrees
i've been in class so i haven't been able to post, but i am loving this trade, especially if mcdyess plays with us. i can't wait to see chauncey back here, he is a great feel good story for all people who live in denver and we are pumped to have him back! i think this puts us back in the playoff race.

Rekindled
iverson will start, stuckey is nowhere near as good as iverson.

Iverson is the go to guy the piston desperately needed.

Iverson
Rip
Tayshawn
Sheed

4 all stars in starting line u p.

Richie2k6
11-03-2008, 04:39 PM
This is surprising. But I don't really have a problem with it.

Denver gets what they need - a big point guard who can handle the ball and shoot from distance. Not to mention a good presence inside to help replace the loss of Camby. McDyess is an intense player who brings heart and can defend downlow and score some points as well.

Billups will be Denver's floor general and will make great decisions. He's one of the smartest and most fundamentally sound players in the game today. He can deliver the ball down low for Melo's post game to grow, and he can finish in the paint or dish it off to shooters. JR Smith's game will get even better off of Chauncey. Not to mention he brings one of the best point guard defenses in the league.

The Pistons get... well... they get Allen Iverson. He puts points on the board, he gets you assists and he gets you steals. And now that he's put in a situation with a team that's extremely teamwork-oriented, he can prove the doubters wrong by being unselfish and showing how good of a playmaker he can be. And all this Iverson as a 6th man stuff... it's just not going to happen. Man put up 26/7 last season.

He's going to help their transition game a lot. Billups isn't big on transition play and often slows it down to get into a halfcourt offense. That can be good or bad, though it's usually been very good. Iverson knows how to slow it down, and he's also very capable of speeding it up in transition for easy baskets. Detroit's defense will not be as good, but it won't be bad either. They still have Prince, Rasheed, etc. Iverson isn't the defender that Billups is, but losing Billups doesn't mean Detroit loses their defense. Defensively I believe Prince is the glue to that team.

If everything goes as planned, Detroit can get to the ECF. If everything goes as planned, Denver can make the playoffs. It's a good deal for both teams... nobody really got raped here. Billups gets to go home, Denver gets the point guard they need, Detroit's defensive gets a bit worse while their offense gets better, Detroit gets a 20million dollar expirer, Denver's defense gets better. Very good trade for both sides. Looks like now I have to watch Nuggets, Raptors and Pistons games this season. Crossing my fingers that AI can play against Toronto, I can catch his debut on TV.

Plus, an Iverson/Wade backcourt in the All-Star game sounds pretty cool. Now quick, somebody get this ish photoshopped!