PDA

View Full Version : Wizards Fire Coach Eddie Jordan; Tapscott Takes Over

gotbacon23
11-24-2008, 10:43 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=2477

Wow. The team was just 1-10, which is awful. But they were also injured this whole time and a few players were underperforming.

What do you think?

2LeTTeRS
11-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Damn sorry to see Jordan go, he's a quality coach. With the fact that the Wiaz are noamlly slow starters and he's proven himself to be able to win in spite of injuries I expected them to give him a little time to try to right the ship. He'll get another shot at a head coaching job soon.

Dasher
11-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Eddie is another coach that should be on OKCs list. The Thunder have horrid ball movement, and a move to his modified Princeton could solve the ball stopping problems that Kevin Durant has.

gotbacon23
11-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Eddie is another coach that should be on OKCs list. The Thunder have horrid ball movement, and a move to his modified Princeton could solve the ball stopping problems that Kevin Durant has.

agreed. jeff green would also benefit a lot from eddie jordan as the offense would be similiar to what he played in under JT3 at gtown. eddie is a good coach but with that roster the wiz weren't going anywhere so unfortunatley he got the blame.

Mississippi
11-24-2008, 10:59 AM
WTF? Why? It's not his fault the wizards suck and that they went out and spent over a 100 mil on an injury prone guard. Hope it's not true.

gotbacon23
11-24-2008, 11:01 AM
WTF? Why? It's not his fault the wizards suck and that they went out and spent over a 100 mil on an injury prone guard. Hope it's not true.

fans call for a change when a team starts off 1-10. the easiest change to make is firing the coach- whether or not its justified.

Se
11-24-2008, 11:04 AM
fans call for a change when a team starts off 1-10. the easiest change to make is firing the coach- whether or not its justified.

They should have shipped out Jamison, and actually tried to get a point guard. Re-signing Arenas was a huge mistake.

This team will be screwed for years

gigantes
11-24-2008, 11:05 AM
jordan has done a great job for years with a very flawed team.

i'd love to have him back on the nets, altho he's prime head coach material IMO so it prolly won't happen.

gotbacon23
11-24-2008, 11:06 AM
[QUOTE=Se

Dasher
11-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Antawn Jamison

to the Bobcats
for

Raymond Felton
Jared Dudley
Sean May

The Wizards get from under Jamison's contract, and a PG insurance policy for Gilbo.
The Bobcats get frontcourt scoring to compliment Emeka Okafor, and another Tar Heel connection to replace Felton and Buffet.

Mississippi
11-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Not many point guards available besides maybe Raymond Felton, Kirk Hinrich and maybe Stephon Marbury. They could use a center as well. JaVale McGee still has alot to learn. He can score, but his defense is pretty crappy. I saw him get dunked on numerous times the other night against the Rockets. I think the Wiz should go after Brad Miller.

2LeTTeRS
11-24-2008, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=Se

LJJ
11-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Good move. Jordan is not the right coach for this team.
He didn't seem to have any authority over this team, and that has been the case for seasons. Butler, Arenas and Jamison just always have been able to keep the Wizards a decent team, but strictly due to their individual class.

vinsane01
11-24-2008, 11:32 AM
WTF? why would they do this? I actually think eddie jordan, if given quality players, can lead this team deep in the playoffs, if not just simply enter it...

sucks for washington.. guess gilbert was right about his prediction.

Valliant13
11-24-2008, 11:36 AM
I feel bad for the guy...but the team was clearly not responding to him anymore. He`s not a bad coach, but once you lose the locker room it`s time to go.

imjustlikemusiq
11-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Not a WHOLE lot of information out there yet about Eddie Jordan's firing, but we know this, the team (although, without its top player) was BADLY underachieving at 1-10. I think Eddie Jordan is a decent enough coach, but this is not the team he signed up for. Granted, injuries happen and you need to adjust - something he was able to do last year - but Eddie Jordan's Princeton offense is designed for veteran teams that don't make silly turnovers. The Wizards, and their youthfulness, simply weren't able to play mistake-free basketball for long enough stretches to win games. The ownership is dishing out a lot of money and at some point, we need results, maybe a new voice in the locker room can get through to the young guys. We saw, just last year, right here in Washington, with the Capitals, what a coaching change can sometimes do for a season, but at the very least it lets everyone know that jobs are on the line. In my opinion Eddie Jordan is less responsible for his firing than his own players, not to say Jordan wasn't without his faults, for instance, playing too many veterans even when their skill level on NBA 2K9 was higher than their minutes per game. Also, at some point we needed to see a next level leap from not only the team, but the young guns (Nick Young, Dominic McGuire, and especially Andray Blatche), whether these players are just incapable or Eddie Jordan wasn't pressing the right buttons will soon be known, but it's a business out here so I say we move on. My choice for the next coach would be Mike Fratello, but we'll see what happens.

Detroit
11-24-2008, 11:47 AM
http://www.nba.com/2008/news/11/24/wizards.jordan.ap/index.html

CONFIRMED!

RAPSCANWIN
11-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Not Jordan's fault, Im amazed the Wiz have been as good as they have over the last # of seasons with all the injuries they've had.

KingJay718
11-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Sucks for EJ. He's gonna have no problem finding a suitor for his services. It's not his fault. LeBron James/Cavs, injuries, and bad luck can share some blame as well.

kwajo
11-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Sam Mitchell next please!

JellyBean
11-24-2008, 12:21 PM
It is sad to see Eddie Jordan let go. This man has lead the Wiz to the playoffs 2-3 straight years? I know for sure 2 years in a row. Now this year, the team is sucking big time and it is not his fault. The Wiz have really messed themselves over.

But here is what cracks me up. As a Timberwolves fan, Randy Wittman is not even on the same level as Eddie Jordan. We can't even fire Randy Wittman!!! I am starting to think that Randy has something over Kevin Mchale. Because P.J. and now Eddie have been fired from coaching and we still have Randy Wittman?? Something is up.

ihatetimthomas
11-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Ah another Coach becomes the casualty of injuries. Sad to see coaches pay the ultimate price for things that cant be controlled (injuries). But I think his stay was wearing thin. They havnt gone furthur than the 2nd round with him at the reins. They cant make any big deals, so some kind of shakeup was necessary. Sucks for him, but something needed to be done. Those guys were just not responding to him this year and it wasnt going to get any easier

gotbacon23
11-24-2008, 12:30 PM
It is sad to see Eddie Jordan let go. This man has lead the Wiz to the playoffs 2-3 straight years? I know for sure 2 years in a row. Now this year, the team is sucking big time and it is not his fault. The Wiz have really messed themselves over.

But here is what cracks me up. As a Timberwolves fan, Randy Wittman is not even on the same level as Eddie Jordan. We can't even fire Randy Wittman!!! I am starting to think that Randy has something over Kevin Mchale. Because P.J. and now Eddie have been fired from coaching and we still have Randy Wittman?? Something is up.

four years in a row....

2004-05: 45-37 lost in 2nd round to miami
2005-06: 42-40 lost in first round to cleveland
2006-07: 41-41 lost in first round to cleveland
2007-08: 43-39 lost in first round to cleveland

honestly, this team is going nowhere regardless.

NoGunzJustSkillz
11-24-2008, 12:57 PM
yeah whoever gave arenas that contract deserves to be fired before Jordan.

sixerfan3511
11-24-2008, 01:52 PM
seriously undeserved. He has done a great job for them, he's the longest tenured coach right now, and they are injured ALL THE TIME. You can't expect someone to do great without a full cast of characters. He normally keeps em afloat, but the East is getting stronger. I don't agree with this at all. He will get a job very soon.

AllenIverson3
11-24-2008, 02:40 PM
By Larry DiTore

Nov. 24 (Bloomberg) -- The Washington Wizards fired coach Eddie Jordan after a 1-10 start to the season and gave Director of Player Development Ed Tapscott the job on an interim basis.

Jordan and the Wizards have struggled without injured starters Gilbert Arenas and Brendan Haywood. The team has the second-worst record in the National Basketball Association behind the Oklahoma City Thunder, who fired coach P.J. Carlesimo two days ago.

The Wizards have made the playoffs each of the past four seasons under Jordan, who had been the third-longest tenured coach in the NBA behind Utah

RidonKs
11-24-2008, 03:01 PM
It might not have been totally deserved - God knows the 10 losses in 11 games can't be directly attributed to him - but a change was definitely needed. The defense was porous, and personnel wasn't the sole reason. EJ has never been a particularly good defensive coach, and that's the area this team has to improve in. Kind of the same deal with the Rockets, where JVG brought them into the light as a powerhouse defensive team, and then the bring in Adelman for offense - the defense is still there.

That's what we need - a defensive coach with more of a pick and roll mentality. Gilbert can be a tremendous pick and roll player, god knows he has the tools, but he was never developed as one because of EJ's not-quite-Princeton-but-still-motion offense. A coach focused on improving the team at the end they actually need improvements in is just what the doctor ordered for this team - the rotations are terrible, nobody knows who to close out on hard and who to give more space, I don't think anybody plays worse pick and roll defense in the entire NBA, etc. And with the two new young bigs with such tremendous defensive potential, and I mean HUGE potential with their athletic abilities and size, a guy who can teach them how to be effective on defense is more important than a guy preaching unselfishness and high post play on offense. Just my opinion there, but with Caron and Gilbert still young, and Jamison still producing, this team will have offense for a long time. Not so much with defense, and that's why the development of the two young bigs is so important.

It sucks, because EJ gave us a really good run, and with this firing, the 1-10 start will probably be credited to him far more than it should be. But with the direction of the team in mind, I think that overall, it was the right move - even if it might not have come at an adequate time.

We want JVG!

oldenpolynice
11-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Eddie didn't deserve to be fired. He was simply the fall guy for mismanagement of contracts to guys like Arenas and for injuries that have plagued this team for years.

It's a shame he was let go.

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2008/11/24/jordan-didnt-deserve-to-be-fired/

picc84
11-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Eddie jordan fired while Sam Mitchell still has a job.

The world today.

Twiens
11-24-2008, 03:47 PM
EJ to the Raps!

Kiddlovesnets
11-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Rod Thorn, did you hear it?
:applause:

AKADS
11-24-2008, 05:19 PM
I would love for Eddie Jordan to come to the Cavs as an asistant and run the offence. I know our offence has been very much improved this yr but Eddie running the Offence would put us in a class by ourselves right under the Celtics and Lakers.

RidonKs
11-24-2008, 05:26 PM
I would love for Eddie Jordan to come to the Cavs as an asistant and run the offence. I know our offence has been very much improved this yr but Eddie running the Offence would put us in a class by ourselves right under the Celtics and Lakers.
And I would love Mike Brown to have exclusive rights over the Wiz defense.

Why don't we just shove both teams together?

Gilbert / Williams
Caron / Delonte / Young
LeBron / Sasha
Jamison / McGee
Z / Wallace / Blatche

Offensive Coach: Eddie Jordan
Defensive Coach: Mike Brown

crounsa810
11-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Thats not too fair. I mean, did they really expect to be any better than they are right now? Same with the Thunder.

Oh well, I'm not interested until I see a headline saying Andy Reid is fired. Different sport, but I want him gone.

AKADS
11-24-2008, 06:08 PM
id rather not have Gilbo or Jamison. But I would like Caron and McGee.

Brown would shoot Jamison. Does he even know that Defence is a part of basketball.

2LeTTeRS
11-24-2008, 07:00 PM
four years in a row....

2004-05: 45-37 lost in 2nd round to miami
2005-06: 42-40 lost in first round to cleveland
2006-07: 41-41 lost in first round to cleveland
2007-08: 43-39 lost in first round to cleveland

honestly, this team is going nowhere regardless.

Thats not really his fault when Gil hasn't played a game and will miss a substantial part of the year for he 2nd straight year 20+ games, and every year Caron misses 20+ games. This team gets snake bitten by injuries on a yearly basis. If they should be repacing anybody it should be the trainers.

Richie2k6
11-24-2008, 07:17 PM
He's a great coach and should get a job again soon.

steve
11-24-2008, 08:39 PM
We want JVG!
No we don't.

hawkfan
11-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Eddie Jordan would be great in Memphis, Oklahoma City, New Jersey.

Howard Schits
11-24-2008, 09:15 PM
The guys are not playing hard? Surprise? That is the problem of the NBA, guarantee contracts. You still can full pay even you don't do what your superiors ask you to do.

Mikaiel
11-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Over the past three seasons Jordan has a 45-26 record when he's had Gilbert Arenas, Antawn Jamison, Caron Butler and Brendan Haywoood in the lineup. Throw out last season when Gilbert limped through eight games with that crew and the Wizards were 3-5, and the percentage was even better.

Source : http://myespn.go.com/nba/truehoop

It's incredible, over 3 seasons the guy had his main 4 guys just for 71 games ...

gleden
11-25-2008, 09:52 PM
To all you guys saying its not his fault, the wizards gave you the answer tonight. Also Sam Mitchel should be next.

kumquat
11-25-2008, 09:54 PM
To all you guys saying its not his fault, the wizards gave you the answer tonight. Also Sam Mitchel should be next.

ummm they're playing the warriors...not much to guage against

LA_Showtime
11-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Look out league, with Eddie Jordan gone this Wizards team becomes instant title contenders...

EricGordon23
11-25-2008, 10:17 PM
With Eddie Jordan gone

Caron gets 32pts 8rebs 6asts
Jamison gets 25pts 11rebs 2asts
Blatche gets 25pts 12rebs 5asts 5blks

I know its only the GS warriors but still beast stats!