PDA

View Full Version : before game food?

Odomize
11-25-2008, 11:43 AM
whats the best food to eat before balling? peeps say pasta is good, anything else? what meat to go with pasta?

Zak
11-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Stuffed vine leaves, my mom always make them and its amazing.

http://www.greek-islands.us/greek-food/ouzo-plomari/Vine-Leaves.jpg

H2whoa
11-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Load up on carbs the night before a games. Pizza, pasta, anything. Eat light and healthy before, you don't want to feel any of the food on your stomach while your playing. If your nervous lay off acid, avoid too much citrus.

Fallguy20
11-27-2008, 01:32 AM
Anyone who knows nutrition will tell you to eat complex carbs the night before (ae brown rice) and simple carbs 2-3 hours before your game (fruit is always a good call).

But its whatever works for you. I personally like a baked potato (complex) about 1 hour before a game because I dont like playing on an empty stomach and it sets well with me.

Odomize
11-27-2008, 11:24 AM
The night before :eek:

I usually play at around 8 pm at night. Will the carb from the night before stay that long?

And what do you drink at the game? is gatorade and those sports drink actually good?

brandonislegend
11-27-2008, 03:16 PM
water

H2whoa
11-27-2008, 07:31 PM
I personally drink water. Most of the people who were on my team were always drinkin' gatorade and powerade and such. It just doesn't settle for me. I can't play a game with it on my stomach. Works fine for them though, depends on the person.

kap
12-01-2008, 06:31 AM
yea i say water is the way to go too. when i drink energy drinks it's usually after a workout, cause for me it settles me down. and i don't want to feel settled down during a game

ABPrints
12-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Game meals start before the season starts. Develop a good eating pattern. It is tough being in school 8 hours a day though. Eat breakfast, mainly protein to keep you feeling fuller (eggs) and a mixed lunch with protein and carbs and fat. Pregame can be simple carbs, but these will get burned off pretty quickly. The offdays are where ou will need to be smart.

raffster2
12-02-2008, 11:54 PM
peanut butter and bread is good to have an hour or 2 before the game.. during the game gatorade is good but i water it down half way cause it's got too much sugar.

Hoopla
03-21-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm going to say bananas, if you're talking <1 before the game. Otherwise, heavier carbs such as pasta or potatoes are excellent

__________________________________________________ _________________
11 ideas to improve your mental ability in basketball.
www.best-basketball-tips.com/awaken-the-jordan-within.html

Plus, lots of FREE stuff at:
www.best-basketball-tips.com

gatorskater
03-23-2009, 02:18 PM
I also recommend eating a banana beforehand. The pottasium(sp?) helps in reducing cramps. Also some bread or toast w/ peanut butter is good fro some carbs and protien. Water before and during the game is a must.

tastystaci
03-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Raisins, no doubt. My pre-game ritual was eating a box of raisins. They used to clown me, but not after I went out and balled on 'em.

jbot
03-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Load up on carbs the night before a games. Pizza, pasta, anything. Eat light and healthy before, you don't want to feel any of the food on your stomach while your playing. If your nervous lay off acid, avoid too much citrus.

i agree. carbs is the way to go.

Atrokkus
04-12-2009, 06:11 AM
Professionals, espeically in case of back-to-back matches, eat sweet stuff before the game. Just something like a Snickers or any other chocolate bar, and some Gatorade or even soda. Sugar is very important for endurance and your "wiring". But if you have enough rest, there's no need for additional stimulants. Just make sure you eat well AFTER the game or workout.

Also, make sure you don't eat heavy right before the game. Give it at least 2 hours before going to the game.

JJ81
04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
No.

JJ81
04-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Stuffed vine leaves, my mom always make them and its amazing.

http://www.greek-islands.us/greek-food/ouzo-plomari/Vine-Leaves.jpg

I hope you're joking.

NBA4EVER
04-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Pb&j

1manfastbreak
04-13-2009, 03:48 AM
it actually doesn't really matter what you eat before, just as long as it won't upset your stomach while playing. The best thing to do is stay with the same pre-game meal, whatever it is.

as for the gatorade it is good to drink because it gives your body electrolytes that water does not give you. If you don't like gatorade or powerade, smartwater has electrolytes in it.