PDA

View Full Version : Josh Childress Might Be A Bust In Euroleague

Lakas Fan Yo
11-27-2008, 06:08 PM
With his $20 million net salary (more than the full NBA MLE) Josh Childress looks like he might be end up being a bust for Olympiacos. I've been following on this since all the Kobe to Olympiacos stories. Man, Childress is disappointing so far for that Greek club.

And damn the Euroleague level is WAY ABOVE what anyone in the US thinks or admits you can watch the games online. That's a VERY legit league. For being the highest paid player in Europe, Childress is really a big bust so far.

Josh Childress Euroleague Stats

44.2% FG
14.3% 3PT FG
52.6 FT%

9.8 points per game
4.8 rebounds per game
1.0 assists per game
0.6 steals per game
1.0 blocks per game
2.8 turnovers per game

I remember this summer just about EVERY fan in the US was saying he would dominate over there, win the MVP, win all the championships, lead the league in scoring, etc. Well this just pretty much shows IMHO that it's about time that people start realizing how tough the competition is over there.

brandonislegend
11-27-2008, 06:15 PM
With his $20 million net salary (more than the full NBA MLE) Josh Childress looks like he might be end up being a bust for Olympiacos. I've been following on this since all the Kobe to Olympiacos stories. Man, Childress is disappointing so far for that Greek club.

And damn the Euroleague level is WAY ABOVE what anyone in the US thinks or admits you can watch the games online. That's a VERY legit league. For being the highest paid player in Europe, Childress is really a big bust so far.

Josh Childress Euroleague Stats

44.2% FG
14.3% 3PT FG
52.6 FT%

9.8 points per game
4.8 rebounds per game
1.0 assists per game
0.6 steals per game
1.0 blocks per game
2.8 turnovers per game

I remember this summer just about EVERY fan in the US was saying he would dominate over there, win the MVP, win all the championships, lead the league in scoring, etc. Well this just pretty much shows IMHO that it's about time that people start realizing how tough the competition is over there.

um idk why you make it seem like he was so successful in the NBA...

Lakas Fan Yo
11-27-2008, 06:29 PM
um idk why you make it seem like he was so successful in the NBA...

Well his NBA stats are significantly BETTER than those stats. See for yourself.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/josh_childress/career_stats.html

Rather than "dominate" over there, he is even less effective than he was in the NBA. So apparently the Euroleague is a hell of a lot better than us Americans (who honestly 99.9% of us have never even seen a Euroleague game) want to admit

Dasher
11-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Josh Childress was always a marginal NBA talent. If you had watched him play his stats would make sense. His high shooting percentage in the NBA is a result of him scoring nearly all his points on garbage buckets. He rarely if rarely launched shots from long or midrange. Couple his inability to shoot with the shorter quarters in European basketball and it makes since that his scoring would suffer. He is still hitting the boards nicely, and those assists are deceiving. The stat is tabulated differently in Europe. Chris Paul would average around 6 assists in Euroleague, as most of the stats credited from his passes to David West would not count as assists. He would have to rely on his opps to Ty, and his kickouts to Ty.

Also could you bump the threads where posters were claiming that he would dominate? I would like to see them.

brandonislegend
11-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Well his NBA stats are significantly BETTER than those stats. See for yourself.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/josh_childress/career_stats.html

Rather than "dominate" over there, he is even less effective than he was in the NBA. So apparently the Euroleague is a hell of a lot better than us Americans (who honestly 99.9% of us have never even seen a Euroleague game) want to admit

maybe because in the NBA no one cared to guard him because there were bigger threats, i dont know about the euro league but if hes the most paid people are probably trying to guard him

b.jerk
11-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Euroleague and nba are different. Nba is all about stats and the euroleague is about wins. Childress is a player on the deepest team in europe and doesn't always have the scoring opportunities.

I do have the same feelings that the nba proponents always do retrospective analysis and their conclusion is predictably the nba is far superior. Reality is the quality gap is close, I would argue the average euroleague players is a better more complete player than the average nba players.

Dasher
11-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Not when you factor in defense, range, handles and other factors. The fundamental nature of the European game gets overstated. There was no retrospective analysis in regards to Josh Childress. His team made a mistake in signing him. The Hawks lowballed him, and no other team in the NBA thought to use the MLE on him. Even a team like the Raptors, who were desperate for swingman help, passed on him. On The Hawks Childress was not called on to create his own shot, and was generally the last option on offense.

Lakas Fan Yo
11-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Josh Childress was always a marginal NBA talent. If you had watched him play his stats would make sense. His high shooting percentage in the NBA is a result of him scoring nearly all his points on garbage buckets. He rarely if rarely launched shots from long or midrange. Couple his inability to shoot with the shorter quarters in European basketball and it makes since that his scoring would suffer. He is still hitting the boards nicely, and those assists are deceiving. The stat is tabulated differently in Europe. Chris Paul would average around 6 assists in Euroleague, as most of the stats credited from his passes to David West would not count as assists. He would have to rely on his opps to Ty, and his kickouts to Ty.

Also could you bump the threads where posters were claiming that he would dominate? I would like to see them.

The shorter game? I don't think so. He's getting 27.4 minutes per game last year he got 29.9 minutes per game in the NBA. 11.8 points per game last year in 29.9 minutes in the NBA........

so he's still averaging less points per minute than last year. As far as the assists go, he's only averaging 1 assist, which is only about 2 in the NBA score keeping method, not exactly a huge difference from his 1.8 career average in the NBA.

Lakas Fan Yo
11-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Euroleague and nba are different. Nba is all about stats and the euroleague is about wins. Childress is a player on the deepest team in europe and doesn't always have the scoring opportunities.

I do have the same feelings that the nba proponents always do retrospective analysis and their conclusion is predictably the nba is far superior. Reality is the quality gap is close, I would argue the average euroleague players is a better more complete player than the average nba players.

I disagree that he is playing on the deepest team in Europe. I've been watching games online and I would certainly say CSKA Moscow, FC Barcelona, especially Panathinaikos are all deeper teams than Olympiacos.

Huey Freeman
11-28-2008, 05:23 PM
I like Childress, but he really isn't one of our best players.

b.jerk
11-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Not when you factor in defense, range, handles and other factors. The fundamental nature of the European game gets overstated. There was no retrospective analysis in regards to Josh Childress. His team made a mistake in signing him. The Hawks lowballed him, and no other team in the NBA thought to use the MLE on him. Even a team like the Raptors, who were desperate for swingman help, passed on him. On The Hawks Childress was not called on to create his own shot, and was generally the last option on offense.

This is what I'm talking about, nba guy predictably does retrospective analysis to fit his world view where professional athletes in the euroleague can't dunk, can't dribble, can't defend and can't physically shoot nba three pointers. The reality is no one plays defense in the nba regular season and the defense in the playoff's is still poor.

Josh Childress was a successful nba player that was offered solid nba contracts. He was offered more money at Olympiacos because the economy is going through a recession and nba teams need to cut cost. I personally think Josh Childress has been a success but he hasn't been the star nba guy predicted.

Huey Freeman
11-28-2008, 06:14 PM
This is what I'm talking about, nba guy predictably does retrospective analysis to fit his world view where professional athletes in the euroleague can't dunk, can't dribble, can't defend and can't physically shoot nba three pointers. The reality is no one plays defense in the nba regular season and the defense in the playoff's is still poor.

Josh Childress was a successful nba player that was offered solid nba contracts. He was offered more money at Olympiacos because the economy is going through a recession and nba teams need to cut cost. I personally think Josh Childress has been a success but he hasn't been the star nba guy predicted.
Well, Childress was a sixth man.

freegamer300
11-28-2008, 07:05 PM
I disagree that he is playing on the deepest team in Europe. I've been watching games online and I would certainly say CSKA Moscow, FC Barcelona, especially Panathinaikos are all deeper teams than Olympiacos.

What site are you watching these games on?

Dasher
11-28-2008, 07:32 PM

Only the Hawks offered him a deal, and that is because they held his Bird Rights and were able to go over the cap to retain his services.

Yes there is a difference in range, and it shows when Euros make the jump to the NBA. Dirk, Peja, Arvydas Macijauskas,The Sashas, and others struggled to shoot when they made the jump to the NBA. You know good and well that American players are expected to be able to defend when they go to Europe, and ironic thing is that the players who go to Europe and defend are not in the NBA because they can't defend NBA quality offensive threats.

I broke down Childress' game. He is a very, very limited player. On his best day he is an average player. There are comparable players playing in the DLeague. Noel Felix is better than Josh Childress. Josh was replaced by players who make considerably less than him, and are both individually are outperforming him.

Other NBA players who could not get deals are excelling in Europe. Earl Boykins and Jannero Pargo are ripping it up, and they could not get a deals. These guys are fringe players.

Huey Freeman
11-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Yep, I'm really glad to see Boykins doing well. He's averaging over 18 points per game. :rockon:

knickballer
11-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Its just that Childress really has no offensive game besides dunking and athleticism. When he's the #1 option he's gonna get locked down and he ain't the 6th man anymore like when he was a Hawk. The opposing team will put there best Euro on him who plays hard, pesky, dirty defense and expose him. A player like JR Smith, or Nate Robinson would dominate since they have more offensive game in Europe.

Lakas Fan Yo
11-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Only the Hawks offered him a deal, and that is because they held his Bird Rights and were able to go over the cap to retain his services.

Yes there is a difference in range, and it shows when Euros make the jump to the NBA. Dirk, Peja, Arvydas Macijauskas,The Sashas, and others struggled to shoot when they made the jump to the NBA. You know good and well that American players are expected to be able to defend when they go to Europe, and ironic thing is that the players who go to Europe and defend are not in the NBA because they can't defend NBA quality offensive threats.

I broke down Childress' game. He is a very, very limited player. On his best day he is an average player. There are comparable players playing in the DLeague. Noel Felix is better than Josh Childress. Josh was replaced by players who make considerably less than him, and are both individually are outperforming him.

Other NBA players who could not get deals are excelling in Europe. Earl Boykins and Jannero Pargo are ripping it up, and they could not get a deals. These guys are fringe players.

Neither of them actually plays in the Euroleague. They are "ripping it up" in leagues that are far inferior to the Euroleague, so I'm not sure if that argument is legit.

Dasher
11-29-2008, 07:29 AM
Neither of them actually plays in the Euroleague. They are "ripping it up" in leagues that are far inferior to the Euroleague, so I'm not sure if that argument is legit.
Euroleague is a competition, similar to Champion's league.
Pargo and Boykins play in very good leagues, The Russian league and the Italian leagues respectively. Before the rise of the Spanish league the Italian league was the best in Europe. It was the Italian league where Big Sofo ate himself out of the first round of the NBA draft. Carlos Arroyo is having a good tournament in Euroleague as well. His shooting percentages could stand to improve. You guys are taking this as a dis when you should not. I am just pointing out reality. The European professional level of basketball is still not as good skillwise as the NBA level, and to be honest it is not really close. The closing of the gap was an illusion created by players and coaches who had no interest in Olympic/World Cup basketball.

Lakas Fan Yo
11-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Euroleague is a competition, similar to Champion's league.
Pargo and Boykins play in very good leagues, The Russian league and the Italian leagues respectively. Before the rise of the Spanish league the Italian league was the best in Europe. It was the Italian league where Big Sofo ate himself out of the first round of the NBA draft. Carlos Arroyo is having a good tournament in Euroleague as well. His shooting percentages could stand to improve. You guys are taking this as a dis when you should not. I am just pointing out reality. The European professional level of basketball is still not as good skillwise as the NBA level, and to be honest it is not really close. The closing of the gap was an illusion created by players and coaches who had no interest in Olympic/World Cup basketball.

Like I said you can watch these games online. Sorry but the Euroleague is clearly far far far above the Italian League, the Eurocup, the Russian League. The only leagues that appear to be close to it are the Spanish League and the Greek League, but still not as good for sure.

Sorry, but the Russian League and Italian League? Seriously man go watch some games, not even close to the Euroleague level. Now I think Childress is busting over there but you are just being totally unfair to him. Pargo and Boykins are playing in much inferior leagues to the one Childress is in.

And Carlos Arroyo is actually playing on a really crappy team. I've watched a couple of Maccabi's games and they flat out SUCK. He's just putting stats on a really POS team and that's all. In fact in the games I've watched he was certainly not even playing good. He's just ball hogging and really helping his team do nothing but lose games. If anything he's a much bigger bust than Childress is. Actually, yes, he is easily a BUST, while Childress is debatable because he's still helping his team and they are also winning games.

Dasher
11-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Dismissing Russian and Italian and Russian League is like dismissing what happens in the Premier League because it is not Champions' League. I watch about 3 games a week, and I will be watching the Real Madrid game in about an hour. You obviously never watched Josh Childress play. He is essentially a guard version of Bo Outlaw. The Hawks never ran plays for him, he routinely dribbled out of open jump shots, and he never created for himself or others. He is what ball players call a leech, a player who can only be successful offensively by leeching off of the ability of others. When he was in the game teams knew to only pay him cursory attention. Maccabi is having a rough start to the season, but I still expect them to advance pass group play.

freegamer300
11-29-2008, 02:43 PM
What is a link to watch some Euro league bball?

freegamer300
11-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks man

Lakas Fan Yo
11-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Dismissing Russian and Italian and Russian League is like dismissing what happens in the Premier League because it is not Champions' League. I watch about 3 games a week, and I will be watching the Real Madrid game in about an hour. You obviously never watched Josh Childress play. He is essentially a guard version of Bo Outlaw. The Hawks never ran plays for him, he routinely dribbled out of open jump shots, and he never created for himself or others. He is what ball players call a leech, a player who can only be successful offensively by leeching off of the ability of others. When he was in the game teams knew to only pay him cursory attention. Maccabi is having a rough start to the season, but I still expect them to advance pass group play.

Sorry again no. I've seen several Italian League games watching Brandon Jennings it is not even close to the Euroleague level and the Russian League you can watch games online too and there are 3 good teams in the whole league and believe me THAT IS IT.

Dasher
11-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Sorry again no. I've seen several Italian League games watching Brandon Jennings it is not even close to the Euroleague level and the Russian League you can watch games online too and there are 3 good teams in the whole league and believe me THAT IS IT.Sorry again what? You are acting like the Russian and Italian leagues are the French and German leagues. The level of play in the Russian and Italian leagues is quality, don't try to poor mouth the leagues to prove your point. Olympiakos signed Josh in an effort to make a splashy signing. They succeeded in getting some pub, but they signed a decidedly mediocre, jumpshot and handleless player. The idea of signing NBA players to lucrative contracts was not a bad one, but the execution was bad. There is a good chance that Josh never gets another NBA contract because to put it bluntly he is not a particularly skilled player, or a difference maker. Maurice Evans was signed to replace him with The Veteran's Minimum Contract and is outperforming him.

Lakas Fan Yo
11-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Sorry again what? You are acting like the Russian and Italian leagues are the French and German leagues. The level of play in the Russian and Italian leagues is quality, don't try to poor mouth the leagues to prove your point. Olympiakos signed Josh in an effort to make a splashy signing. They succeeded in getting some pub, but they signed a decidedly mediocre, jumpshot and handleless player. The idea of signing NBA players to lucrative contracts was not a bad one, but the execution was bad. There is a good chance that Josh never gets another NBA contract because to put it bluntly he is not a particularly skilled player, or a difference maker. Maurice Evans was signed to replace him with The Veteran's Minimum Contract and is outperforming him.

That's not what I said at all. I simply stated a fact that the Euroleague is better and it is. How is it fair to say what Pargo does in an inferior league?

jbot
12-01-2008, 10:29 AM
i don't think them signing josh was so much as really wanting a great player as it was just showing the nba that they could do it.

did u see where stern is building some arenas in china for future use? euroleague officials are probably deciding to counterattack.

jbot
12-01-2008, 10:30 AM
What is a link to watch some Euro league bball?

that's what i'm saying. hook me up pleez.

Grinder
12-01-2008, 07:42 PM
In response, J-Chill drops 24/6/2 in just 27 minutes on 9-12 shooting (2-4 3 pt) against Kalossos. Not Euroleague, but Greek league is tough anyway.

Earl Boykins has been a beast averaging 18.4 points a game and 4 assists and 3 steals.

Lakas Fan Yo
12-01-2008, 08:42 PM
In response, J-Chill drops 24/6/2 in just 27 minutes on 9-12 shooting (2-4 3 pt) against Kalossos. Not Euroleague, but Greek league is tough anyway.

Earl Boykins has been a beast averaging 18.4 points a game and 4 assists and 3 steals.

Italian league on a crappy team and just putting up stats, is not the same thing as playing on one of the top 5 Euroleague clubs and putting those stats on a good Euroleague team in the Euroleague. And Childress did that against one of the smallest and worst clubs in Greece (yes the Greek league looks quite good to me certainly much better than the Italian one but still against one of the really small clubs in that league), but let me know when he has a big game against a top 16 level Euroleague club.

Grinder
12-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Italian league on a crappy team and just putting up stats, is not the same thing as playing on one of the top 5 Euroleague clubs and putting those stats on a good Euroleague team in the Euroleague. And Childress did that against one of the smallest and worst clubs in Greece (yes the Greek league looks quite good to me certainly much better than the Italian one but still against one of the really small clubs in that league), but let me know when he has a big game against a top 16 level Euroleague club.
Kolossos was 3-5...

Boykins just dropped 20+ on Lottomatica Roma who are a Euroleague team and beat defending final four members Tau Vitoria, so don't tell me he's doing it on nobodies.

There are plenty of good point guards in the Italian league, Terrell McIntyre, Travis Best, and Jermaine Jackson just to name a few...

b.jerk
12-02-2008, 02:34 AM
Kolossos was 3-5...

Boykins just dropped 20+ on Lottomatica Roma who are a Euroleague team and beat defending final four members Tau Vitoria, so don't tell me he's doing it on nobodies.

There are plenty of good point guards in the Italian league, Terrell McIntyre, Travis Best, and Jermaine Jackson just to name a few...

We get you're writing that to please David Stern but you're wrong and Lakas Fan Yo is right. I'm sure David Stern is proud of you.

Grinder
12-02-2008, 08:23 AM
We get you're writing that to please David Stern but you're wrong and Lakas Fan Yo is right. I'm sure David Stern is proud of you.
Lmao...go back to sucking off Casspi and other ****ty Israeli players.

b.jerk
12-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Lmao...go back to sucking off Casspi and other ****ty Israeli players.

Lmao...go back to sucking off David Stern

Huey Freeman
12-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Wow, I didn't think this thread was going to turn into a flame war.

Dasher
12-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Wow, I didn't think this thread was going to turn into a flame war.
b.jerk is a delusionally nationalist poster. I would not have actually engaged in debate with him, had I read the Israeli league thread first. He has a great deal of disdain for the NBA, and thinks that the Israeli league is a good league. The Israeli league is generally not a competitive league, and therefore can not be good. It is like Pac 10 football since Pete Carroll went to USC, only a couple thousand times worse.

b.jerk
12-03-2008, 04:07 PM
b.jerk is a delusionally nationalist poster. I would not have actually engaged in debate with him, had I read the Israeli league thread first. He has a great deal of disdain for the NBA, and thinks that the Israeli league is a good league. The Israeli league is generally not a competitive league, and therefore can not be good. It is like Pac 10 football since Pete Carroll went to USC, only a couple thousand times worse.

If the israeli league was a bad as you say it is than it would be like the nba and only advertise mcdonalds dollar menu, shoes and beer. I don't fault the nba for taking their money because they should but, Good companies like intel, advanced ceramics ect that do impressive products advertise and want to be associated with the israeli league. I'm not going to go on because this topic doesn't belong in this thread.

Grinder
12-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Lmao...go back to sucking off David Stern

He edited his post a day later. :roll:

If the israeli league was a bad as you say it is than it would be like the nba and only advertise mcdonalds dollar menu, shoes and beer. I don't fault the nba for taking their money because they should but, Good companies like intel, advanced ceramics ect that do impressive products advertise and want to be associated with the israeli league. I'm not going to go on because this topic doesn't belong in this thread.

Israeli league sucks. You know it's bad when Carlos Arroyo is the best player and people like Eliyahu and Casspi are in the rotation of the best team in the country.

Dasher
12-04-2008, 11:05 AM
:oldlol:
Using sponsorships as a guage of league quality is a joke. Intel was replaced as the official chip maker AMD. I have never heard of this ceramics company, and your argument and the use of this company devalues this measuring stick. b.jerk go back to talking about the imaginary toughness and drive of Israeli players.:oldlol:

b.jerk
12-04-2008, 11:08 AM
He edited his post a day later. :roll:

Israeli league sucks. You know it's bad when Carlos Arroyo is the best player and people like Eliyahu and Casspi are in the rotation of the best team in the country.

This doesn't even belong in this thread. Carlos Arroyo is a bust, why don't you write another stupid thing in this thread.

b.jerk
12-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Using sponsorships as a guage of league quality is a joke. Intel was replaced as the official chip maker AMD. I have never heard of this ceramics company, and your argument and the use of this company devalues this measuring stick. b.jerk go back to talking about the imaginary toughness and drive of Israeli players.:oldlol:

The only thing imaginary is your belief AMD has surpassed Intel in the semiconductor business, idiot. By the way AMD also advertises on Israeli teams.

Dasher
12-04-2008, 11:36 AM
The only thing imaginary is your belief AMD has surpassed Intel in the semiconductor business, idiot. By the way AMD also advertises on Israeli teams.
AMD outbid Intel. Intel does not really need to do much advertising in the states anymore. Everyone knows that they are the industry leader. A company like AMD HAS to do all it can to gain market share. Using sponsorships is a stupid way to guage the quality of leagues. Depth and quality of play are. The Israeli League is not bottom of the barrel, but it is really close to it.

b.jerk
12-04-2008, 11:42 AM
AMD outbid Intel. Intel does not really need to do much advertising in the states anymore. Everyone knows that they are the industry leader. A company like AMD HAS to do all it can to gain market share. Using sponsorships is a stupid way to guage the quality of leagues. Depth and quality of play are. The Israeli League is not bottom of the barrel, but it is really close to it.

I don't know which is dumber, your writing or that you're writing this crap in this thread. I'm going to have to sit and ponder how stupid you are.

Dasher
12-04-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't know which is dumber, your writing or thar you're writing this crap in this thread. I'm going to have to sit and ponder how stupid you are.Your inability to gauge league quality is a joke, but that probably should be expected from your kind....of fan. Nationalistic fans are blind, and grasp at straws when trying to prove their point. The Israeli League is terrible, and your use of sponsorships as a deciding factor for league quality is a joke. Calling the Israeli league mediocre would be an insult to mediocre leagues. It is not as good a league as the Russian league.

Grinder
12-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Your inability to gauge league quality is a joke, but that probably should be expected from your kind....of fan. Nationalistic fans are blind, and grasp at straws when trying to prove their point. The Israeli League is terrible, and your use of sponsorships as a deciding factor for league quality is a joke. Calling the Israeli league mediocre would be an insult to mediocre leagues. It is not as good a league as the Russian league.

UNC would dominate the Israeli league if Maccabi TA wasn't in it with Hansbrough being the best player there. :oldlol:

b.jerk
12-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Your inability to gauge league quality is a joke, but that probably should be expected from your kind....of fan. Nationalistic fans are blind, and grasp at straws when trying to prove their point. The Israeli League is terrible, and your use of sponsorships as a deciding factor for league quality is a joke. Calling the Israeli league mediocre would be an insult to mediocre leagues. It is not as good a league as the Russian league.

Idiot, why are you even writing your crap in this thread. This topic belongs in a different thread.

b.jerk
12-04-2008, 11:57 AM
UNC would dominate the Israeli league if Maccabi TA wasn't in it with Hansbrough being the best player there. :oldlol:

rufuspaul
12-04-2008, 12:07 PM
This will probably get me banned.

http://www.bangitout.com/uploads/65matisyahubasketball.bmp

b.jerk
12-04-2008, 12:09 PM
American jews playing basketball is hilarious

Dasher
12-04-2008, 12:10 PM
American jews playing basketball is hilarious
They are still more skilled than their Israeli counterparts. The team at the Temple Emannuel in my hometown could beat Maccabi TA in a 7 game series.

b.jerk
12-04-2008, 12:12 PM
They are still more skilled than their Israeli counterparts. The team at the Temple Emannuel in my hometown could beat Maccabi TA in a 7 game series.

Dasher
12-04-2008, 12:19 PM
You are sleeping on the Unified Interfaith League of Metro Miami Fl. The league has sponsors like Mike's Express Oil Lube and Patty's Midnight Crabshack.

Back on topic: Can someone give me a scouting report on Nemandja Aleksandrov, and an update on Boki Nachbar.

b.jerk
12-04-2008, 12:23 PM
You are sleeping on the Unified Interfaith League of Metro Miami Fl. The league has sponsors like Mike's Express Oil Lube and Patty's Midnight Crabshack.

Back on topic: Can someone give me a scouting report on Nemandja Aleksandrov, and an update on Boki Nachbar.

He's a serb, but how does that relate to Josh Childress

Dasher
12-04-2008, 12:26 PM
He's a serb, but how does that relate to Josh Childress
This thread should be hijacked by a more interesting player. Josh is a borderline basketball talent. Terrence Morris is a better player. So is Pete Mikeal.

Josh is going to score 6 points on horrible shooting, grab 5 boards, net 2 assists, and turnover the ball 4 times when Olympiacos plays Unicaja.

b.jerk
12-04-2008, 12:32 PM
This thread should be hijacked by a more interesting player. Josh is a borderline basketball talent. Terrence Morris is a better player. So is Pete Mikeal.

Josh is going to score 6 points on horrible shooting, grab 5 boards, net 2 assists, and turnover the ball 4 times when Olympiacos plays Unicaja.

I think Josh Childress will be just fine, he'll average slightly under 11 ppg for the season. At minimum Olympiacos should reach the final four, and are a contender to win the championship. Josh Childress will be a part of Olympiacos success.

Rocker09
12-07-2008, 09:19 AM
I think it's the different european style of basketball that's giving josh problems...In Europe, it's all about the fundamentals(finding the open team mate, hitting the open shot, finding cutting team mates, etc...) while in the NBA, teams rely more on isolation plays and plays that benefit athleticism. There are only a few NBA teams who stick to fundamentals nowadays(detroit, spurs, lakers, maybe the celtics). A lot of NBA teams are adapting the run and gun offense. Childress was a LITTLE more succesful in the NBA because of his athleticism. He's struggling in europe because he doesn't have a well enough grasp of their style of basketball(he MIGHT learn overtime). IMO, he is overpaid, he should have stayed in the NBA. The NBA is definitely a WAY more talented league but in terms of basketball IQ and team work, the Euroleague just might have the edge...

I am an nba fan as proven by my lakers avatar by the way, Im just trying to state what I observed through the years of watchin basketball.

S3RB
12-07-2008, 10:35 AM
from what I see, 9.8 PPG in 27.1 MPG is pretty close to 11.2 PPG in 29.9 MPG... but I never thought Childress was that great anyways. Obviously he is a solid player, but that's all he is. He's not expected to be a Superstar.

la bomba
12-27-2008, 05:04 PM
I think it's the different european style of basketball that's giving josh problems...In Europe, it's all about the fundamentals(finding the open team mate, hitting the open shot, finding cutting team mates, etc...) while in the NBA, teams rely more on isolation plays and plays that benefit athleticism. There are only a few NBA teams who stick to fundamentals nowadays(detroit, spurs, lakers, maybe the celtics). A lot of NBA teams are adapting the run and gun offense. Childress was a LITTLE more succesful in the NBA because of his athleticism. He's struggling in europe because he doesn't have a well enough grasp of their style of basketball(he MIGHT learn overtime). IMO, he is overpaid, he should have stayed in the NBA. The NBA is definitely a WAY more talented league but in terms of basketball IQ and team work, the Euroleague just might have the edge...

I am an nba fan as proven by my lakers avatar by the way, Im just trying to state what I observed through the years of watchin basketball.
Very good point,I agree with you,only in my case I am a euroleague fan for exactly the same reasons you mention.

Taras Bulba
02-19-2009, 09:18 PM
7 pts (3/10 FG), 7 rbs, 3 ass, 3 TO

Pretty close I'd say :applause:

Considering how much he is (over)paid he is a bust. If he was paid according to his real value he would be a damn good Euroleague player.

Psych0
02-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Childress is way overpaid! And having that in mind, ant that is most important non-playing category in Europe, some can say he is a bust. If u ask me, I` can thing of more than ten player I`d rather have in my team than him. And they would all be much cheaper.

JJ81
02-24-2009, 06:46 AM
ouch

Huey Freeman
02-24-2009, 09:46 AM
ouch
:confusedshrug:

la bomba
03-21-2009, 04:22 PM
for what he gets paid?? def a bust!! big time.But that was expected,I don't know why Olympiakos would pay someone so much money to do what 100 other players could do for a lot less

b.jerk
03-22-2009, 04:35 AM
He's got the talent but he isn't (********* corporate term) optimizing it. There's a lot of cases of talent but not a lot of know-how and awareness on the court. Josh Childress was the sixth pick, went to Stanford, and considered a smart nba player.

la bomba
03-24-2009, 03:44 PM
He's got the talent but he isn't (********* corporate term) optimizing it. There's a lot of cases of talent but not a lot of know-how and awareness on the court. Josh Childress was the sixth pick, went to Stanford, and considered a smart nba player.
I dont doubt his talent, just his aptitude for the european game and whether he is worth all that money considering what you could get for that money.

b.jerk
03-24-2009, 06:09 PM
I would like to see how good Josh Childress would become if he gained an euroleague playmaking intelligence. He would be way better than the nba point guard that can only score, Stephan Marbury.

Taras Bulba
03-24-2009, 10:45 PM
I would like to see how good Josh Childress would become if he gained an euroleague playmaking intelligence. He would be way better than the nba point guard that can only score, Stephan Marbury.
Childress is not a point guard. :hammerhead:

b.jerk
03-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Childress is not a point guard. :hammerhead:

If someone that thin could be a wing in the nba than the nba is more overrated than I even thought.

la bomba
03-25-2009, 04:08 AM
saw him against real madrid, really nothing special,if i was vujcic,papaloukas,vasilipoulos,bourousis,printezis ,etc etc I would be pissed off at getting a fraction of what he gets.

Lakas Fan Yo
03-25-2009, 11:21 AM
saw him against real madrid, really nothing special,if i was vujcic,papaloukas,vasilipoulos,bourousis,printezis ,etc etc I would be pissed off at getting a fraction of what he gets.

I like Childress as a player actually and he has some very good qualities but honestly if I was Giannakis, Pelekanos would play over him.

Terp in LA
03-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Yeah, like some others are saying--his abysmal numbers aren't a testament to the level of play in the Euroleague as much as it is a testament to how overrated and overhyped the underwhelming Childress was in the NBA.

b.jerk
03-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Yeah, like some others are saying--his abysmal numbers aren't a testament to the level of play in the Euroleague as much as it is a testament to how overrated and overhyped the underwhelming Childress was in the NBA.

I'm sorry but only a pollyanna would say the quality of the nba isn't overrated.

Lakas Fan Yo
03-27-2009, 02:11 AM

Except that he was a lot better in the NBA than he has been in the Euroleague, so that doesn't really add up. Anyway, Childress is like all world this year compared to Jannero Pargo. Pargo is having a disaster year so far.

la bomba
03-27-2009, 04:22 AM
Except that he was a lot better in the NBA than he has been in the Euroleague, so that doesn't really add up. Anyway, Childress is like all world this year compared to Jannero Pargo. Pargo is having a disaster year so far.
the na and the euroleague are very different beasts, for those that think that the likes of Wade would cruise in the euroleague,he wouldnt!He would struggle,as would Iversen etc.The NBA players that would fair better in the euroleague are some of the power forwards that don't get much action in the NBA,see batiste,baston etc

Taras Bulba
03-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Pargo is having a disaster year so far.
Pargo had a very good year in Moscow.

b.jerk
03-27-2009, 03:36 PM
the na and the euroleague are very different beasts, for those that think that the likes of Wade would cruise in the euroleague,he wouldnt!He would struggle,as would Iversen etc.The NBA players that would fair better in the euroleague are some of the power forwards that don't get much action in the NBA,see batiste,baston etc

Batiste left the Charlotte Bobcats to play for Panathanaikos, some would say for more money but that's likely not the only reason. Baston had his moments in the nba but when he played the euroleague wasn't the same quality. Fortunes in the nba is a lot about getting the call and outsiders don't get the call. Look at Andrea Barnagni and the Toronto Raptors, he's not my favorite player but if he got the calls on the offensive and defensive sides Toronto would be one of the better teams in the east and he would be one of the better players in the nba.

Lakas Fan Yo
03-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Pargo had a very good year in Moscow.

The Eurocup level, especially during the phase that Pargo played there is far below the Euroleague level, especially the phase that Pargo is playing in right now. Pargo looks completely useless right now.

And please do not attack me with some stupid and rude comment and accusation like,

"You are biased because you are a world wide known Pargo hater all over the whole world's forums and you have no objectivity and you can watch the game online but I was right there on the court just 10 meters away.

Pargo is doing great for Olympiacos".

It's out of line and I will report it.

bdreason
03-29-2009, 04:10 AM
This cat couldn't even get the MLE in the NBA. He has some serious holes in his game.

Lakas Fan Yo
03-29-2009, 12:38 PM
This cat couldn't even get the MLE in the NBA. He has some serious holes in his game.

Not true. 5 NBA teams offered him the MLE.

b.jerk
03-30-2009, 02:14 AM

Wow, is this how the nba treats a "homeboy" or a "bro".

Huey Freeman
03-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Wow, is this how the nba treats a "homeboy" or a "bro".
I don't think bdreason was correct this time around.

Taras Bulba
04-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Batiste left the Charlotte Bobcats to play for Panathanaikos,
Batiste did not leave Bobcats for Panathinaikos.

The Eurocup level, especially during the phase that Pargo played there is far below the Euroleague level, especially the phase that Pargo is playing in right now. Pargo looks completely useless right now.
Did I say anything about the Eurocup's level? Pargo looks useless right now because his coach simply doesn't count on him and uses him for 5 minutes per game.

And please do not attack me with some stupid and rude comment and accusation like,

"You are biased because you are a world wide known Pargo hater all over the whole world's forums and you have no objectivity and you can watch the game online but I was right there on the court just 10 meters away.

Pargo is doing great for Olympiacos".

It's out of line and I will report it.
Did I say anything? You are adopting preemptive posting now? Relax, this is not some Fox sitcom.

kohsterized41
04-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Hey check out my blog about trying to become a pro basketball player overseas. I think you will like it! http://kohsterized.blogspot.com