PDA

View Full Version : Say Hello to your 2009 DPOY - Mr. Kobe Bean Bryant

Lakers Fan
12-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Have you guys been watching this cat? Is there any other player even in the discussion for DPOY right now? IMO Kobe is lock for it if things continue on like this.

Who else is "calling it" for Kobe getting DPOY?

jason816
12-03-2008, 10:21 PM
ah.... Wade? or Dwight Howard.

LA_Showtime
12-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Actually Kobe hasn't played very good defense this year. He's gambled way too much. If the Lakers deserve anyone on the DPOY 1st or 2nd team, it would be Bynum, not Kobe.

LALakerFan4Life
12-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Kobe? Maybe. I'd say D-Wade is the leading candidate for DPOY so far.

lakers_forever
12-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Actually Kobe hasn't played very good defense this year. He's gambled way too much. If the Lakers deserve anyone on the DPOY 1st or 2nd team, it would be Bynum, not Kobe.

Agreed. The constant gambles leads to open 3's for the other team most of the times. Don't think Kobe should be considered for DPOY.

mongePR(kb24)
12-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Given for Guards: Its imposible to win the DPOY award when you have been 13 years in the league.

TmacsRockets
12-03-2008, 10:40 PM
You must not have seen him this year. The guy has been getting torched. His defense is lazy. He gambles wayyy too much.

Wade is actually a better defender and so is Lebron.

HeyIt'sMe
12-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Kobe' defense is pure trash. By far the most overrated defensive player in the game today.

Dwight Howard is the answer and it's not even close.

LA_Showtime
12-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Kobe' defense is pure trash. By far the most overrated defensive player in the game today.

Dwight Howard is the answer and it's not even close.

Dwight Howard is not the answer. He's a great shot blocker and rebounder, but he's only a solid man to man defender.

Showtime
If Kobe gets DPOY, it will be clear the powers that be are trying to build a persona about Kobe instead of acknowledging what he really does. Him getting first team all defense over Artest, Battier, and Prince the past few years was bad enough, but now DPOY?

Scott Pippen
Dwight, KG, Bynum, etc.. This thread is 5-6 years late:applause:

Showtime
12-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Dwight Howard is not the answer. He's a great shot blocker and rebounder, but he's only a solid man to man defender.
Post players can have a bigger impact with shot blocking and rebounding. Man to man isn't as important compared to a guard. Front line players can impact the game more on the defensive end.

Jacks3
12-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Hes not the DPOY, but he is holding SG's to among the lowest productivity in the league this year and getting 2 SPG.

HeyIt'sMe
12-03-2008, 11:33 PM

If man-to-man defense mattered a lick to voters, Marcus Camby and Ben Wallace wouldn't have any DPOY awards.

Go ask Al Jefferson how good Dwight's on ball defense is. He couldn't do jack against him tonight.

DuMa
Kevin Garnett 2009 DPOY

MrEncinas
Would go with Dwight as of today, with Wade the runner-up

LA_Showtime
Post players can have a bigger impact with shot blocking and rebounding. Man to man isn't as important compared to a guard. Front line players can impact the game more on the defensive end.

Man to man is still important. I'd rather have someone like Rasheed Wallace or Tim Duncan who can make life uncomfortable for a great big man than someone like Dwight who can block an extra shot or two a game. I'd probably give the DPOY to Duncan. He probably should have a couple by now but people always overlook him.

Showtime
12-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Man to man is still important. I'd rather have someone like Rasheed Wallace or Tim Duncan who can make life uncomfortable for a great big man than someone like Dwight who can block an extra shot or two a game. I'd probably give the DPOY to Duncan. He probably should have a couple by now but people always overlook him.
I didn't say man to man wasn't important, just that is matters less than a perimeter player when talking about defensive impact. And I think Duncan is the best post defender in the game, so there's no argument there.

12-03-2008, 11:41 PM
I didn't say man to man wasn't important, just that is matters less than a perimeter player when talking about defensive impact. And I think Duncan is the best post defender in the game, so there's no argument there.

I think Garnett is better.
He anchors one of the best defenses we've ever seen in Boston, I personally would take his versatility over Duncan's low post presence, defensively.

OldSchoolBBall
12-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Have you guys been watching this cat? Is there any other player even in the discussion for DPOY right now? IMO Kobe is lock for it if things continue on like this.

Is this a joke? If not, it's pretty delusional.

Hes not the DPOY, but he is holding SG's to among the lowest productivity in the league this year and getting 2 SPG.

It's 1.6 steals (that's quite a ways from 2), and he's only doing well by other defensive stats because he has a 5 bpg front line behind him, which is why despite his defensive first team nods the last few years he never did well in these very same metrics until now. Five players on his own team have a better DRtg than him, and another one has the same.

MMM
12-03-2008, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=

Showtime
12-03-2008, 11:53 PM
[QUOTE=

Tuvi
12-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Dwight Howard?!?! Bynum is also putting in work on the defensive end

JEFFERSON MONEY
12-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Granger and Butler are putting in work at the SF.

beasted86
12-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Like I said in another topic....

If Dwight Howard breaks both legs, and both arms, and gets suspended for dog fighting, then the award might go to Wade. Otherwise, its a lock for Howard, and nobody else is even close.

Allstar24
12-04-2008, 12:17 AM
It's 1.6 steals (that's quite a ways from 2), and he's only doing well by other defensive stats because he has a 5 bpg front line behind him, which is why despite his defensive first team nods the last few years he never did well in these very same metrics until now. Five players on his own team have a better DRtg than him, and another one has the same.
I see you're not even trying to conceal yourself. And it's 3.9 bpg (that's quite a ways from 5) :rolleyes:

OldSchoolBBall
12-04-2008, 12:47 AM
it's 3.9 bpg (that's quite a ways from 5) :rolleyes:

Yeah, but it's in like 30-32 mpg. And my point stands. It's no coincidence.

AllenIverson3
12-04-2008, 01:55 AM

Coming from a Laker stan...:lol:

Showtime
12-04-2008, 01:59 AM
And besides, if blocks and interior defense with average man D doesn't matter for DPOY, then take away Camby's award which was won on shot blocking.

lefthook00
12-04-2008, 02:04 AM
1) He's gambling more this year b/c he has two 7 footers behind him.

2) You guys are confusing consistency with ability. Yes, WE ALL KNOW that when Kobe really wants to, he can shut someone down, and is one of the best defenders in the league. But that doesn't matter. At all. To win DPOY, you have to play great defense allllllllllllll seasonnnnnnnnn longggggggggg...............

Alonzo Magic
12-04-2008, 02:12 AM
Just thinking about him being in the All Defensive first team 6 times in his career just reminds me how infinitely overrated this man really was on the defensive end. Out of all the "Good" Defenders in this league, he is by far the laziest perimeter defender of the lot. Oh, and the number of calls that go in his favour! Half of Kobe's steals are a direct result of him manhandling the opponents arms.

Dwight Howard ftw!

Vragrant
12-04-2008, 02:36 AM
Just thinking about him being in the All Defensive first team 6 times in his career just reminds me how infinitely overrated this man really was on the defensive end. Out of all the "Good" Defenders in this league, he is by far the laziest perimeter defender of the lot. Oh, and the number of calls that go in his favour! Half of Kobe's steals are a direct result of him manhandling the opponents arms.

Dwight Howard ftw!

I know. Bryant pretty much has free reign on the defensive end to do what he wants. By that I mean, he can hack the hell out the offensive player and the ref will look the other way. I remember when he "held" or should I say literally held Vince Carter to a bad shooting night. But the whole night he was hacking and grabbing Carter who at one point got in Bryants face about it (because the ref sure as well wasnt doing anything).

He has so many gift all defense selections over guys like Battier and Artest and Bowen ('03) its funny. Hes a good capable defender, but going by his resume is easily one of the most overrated defenders ever. His reputation doesnt precede him, it actually supersedes him.

eliteballer
12-04-2008, 03:00 AM
LOL, funny you criticize Kobe for "hacking" yet say BOWEN(arguably the biggest hacker in the league) is more deserving of defensive selections. Get out of here with that biased BS:mad:

Diesel J
12-04-2008, 03:19 AM
Kobe is the most overrated perimeter defender that gets praised for his defense. Im tired of hearing about how great his D is when dude didn't man up and guard Pierce or Allen in Laker/Celtics finals. He went out like a chump by guarding a dude with no jumper that he could relax and stand back like 6 feet from in Rondo:roll:

iamgine
12-04-2008, 03:21 AM

http://www.freefever.com/myspacegraphics/posters/myspaceposters-96.jpg

chains5000
12-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Say Hello to your 2009 DPOY - Mr. Kobe Bean Bryant
:roll:

el_locoteee
12-04-2008, 04:19 AM
What I seen so far Ariza is the best defensive player on his team.

martinas23
12-04-2008, 04:56 AM
How about Zach Randolph? He is pretty good this year.

lilmarcgasol
12-04-2008, 06:11 AM
um hello can you say j-Smoove anchor of the hawks defense, shut down that homo gay and mayo and even the great mg33, yeh um kobe yeh right dpoty is Josh Smith so far

bdreason
12-04-2008, 06:13 AM
I hope you aren't serious. Kobe isn't even the best defender on his own team.

BigTicket
12-04-2008, 06:23 AM
Lakers fans try this each year, as if its somehow new, yet the truth is Kobe isn't winning the DPOY, not now and not ever. You should be happy that the competition at guard is as weak as it currently is, allowing him to make the 1st team year after year. If he had to compete at the forward or center spot he would not be good enough to even make the 2nd team. (Howard + Camby at center, Garnett + Duncan + Artest + Smith at forward are all better than him over the last few years)

Lebron23
12-04-2008, 08:09 AM
LeBron James should be included in the All Defensive team he's averaging 2.11 spg, and he's one of the best man to man defender in the NBA.

chains5000
12-04-2008, 08:15 AM
LeBron James should be included in the All Defensive team he's averaging 2.11 spg, and he's one of the best man to man defender in the NBA.
Over Duncan, KG, Artest, Battier?

LJJ
12-04-2008, 08:17 AM

Over Battier? Hell yeah.

But defensive team or not, it's pretty impressive how LeBron has gone from a worthless defender to nearly an elite defender in two seasons.

Lebron23
12-04-2008, 08:20 AM

Maybe LeBron will be included in the NBA All-Defensive Second Team. Duncan, Kg and Artest already have some good reputations as three of the best elite defenders in the NBA.

gpfanz
12-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Im not a Kobe fan :violin:

12-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Maybe LeBron will be included in the NBA All-Defensive Second Team. Duncan, Kg and Artest already have some good reputations as three of the best elite defenders in the NBA.

LeBron is a great weak side defense, as same Wade. They both are statistical defenders, Lebron in particular is an underrated man to man defender, but don't be fooled. He isn't as good as a motivated Kobe or other guys like Artest/Battier.

chains5000
12-04-2008, 08:47 AM
[QUOTE=

Jacks3
12-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Kobe is the most overrated perimeter defender that gets praised for his defense. Im tired of hearing about how great his D is when dude didn't man up and guard Pierce or Allen in Laker/Celtics finals. He went out like a chump by guarding a dude with no jumper that he could relax and stand back like 6 feet from in Rondo:roll:
:oldlol: at this Jordan groupie. Putting Kobe on Rondo was by far the best adjustment Phil made. It took Rondo completely out of the series and allowed the Lakers to get back into it. This is some ironic stuff, considering Jordan didn't even guard the other teams best peremiter player often(Pippen)The irony..:roll:

Jacks3
12-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Kobe has been great defensievely ...

PER Against:
Kobe: 11.5

eFG% Against:
43%

That means he's holding guys to below-average productivity and horrible shooting %'s.:bowdown:

chains5000
12-04-2008, 10:53 AM
:oldlol: at this Jordan groupie. Putting Kobe on Rondo was by far the best adjustment Phil made. It took Rondo completely out of the series and allowed the Lakers to get back into it. This is some ironic stuff, considering Jordan didn't even guard the other teams best peremiter player often(Pippen)The irony..:roll:
Kobe guarded the Celtics' 4th option...:bowdown:

Mdog1
12-04-2008, 11:15 AM
You guys ever heard of Dwight Howard? He is DPOY this year, unless they give Kobe the sympathy vote again.

JJ81
12-04-2008, 12:18 PM

No way, Ariza or Kobe on that team.

Diesel J
12-04-2008, 12:33 PM
:oldlol: at this Jordan groupie. Putting Kobe on Rondo was by far the best adjustment Phil made. It took Rondo completely out of the series and allowed the Lakers to get back into it.

Where was Kobe's D on Rondo in game 6?:oldlol:

This is some ironic stuff, considering Jordan didn't even guard the other teams best peremiter player often(Pippen)The irony..:roll:

MJ always guarded the 1 or 2 best peremiter player depending on the situation. Alot different from what Kobe did..

Kobe guarded the Celtics' 4th option...:bowdown:

Showtime
12-04-2008, 02:05 PM

PER Against:

eFG% Against:
43%

That means he's holding guys to below-average productivity and horrible shooting %'s.:bowdown:
That might have something to do with who he's guarding. Has he been guarding the best perimeter players on the opposition?

KenneBell
12-04-2008, 02:06 PM
That might have something to do with who he's guarding. Has he been guarding the best perimeter players on the opposition?
He's been on the opposition's SG in every game I've watched. I think Ariza can handle the SF most of the time.

LA_Showtime
12-04-2008, 02:11 PM
No way, Ariza or Kobe on that team.

I guess you haven't watched the Lakers this year. They've played poor defense ever since the articles came out that said the Lakers are number one in defensive efficiency. Part of the problem is youth, part of the problem is effort, and a lot of the problem is players like Kobe gambling for steals. He does it a lot. Don't be blinded because he's your favorite player.

jjayfive
12-04-2008, 03:38 PM
ariza and bynum are the best defenders on the lakers squad... kobe has his moments but gambles way too much... but ariza can guard 3 positions and plays the passing lane very well...

in the last 3 games, bynum shutdown brand and bosh.... however, rasho dropped 15 on him the other night:confusedshrug:

OldSchoolBBall
12-04-2008, 04:50 PM
This is some ironic stuff, considering Jordan didn't even guard the other teams best peremiter player often(Pippen)The irony..:roll:

Pippen guarded SF's with three exceptions in 10 years. So if the "best perimeter player" was a SF, Pippen likely guarded them. If they were an SG or combo guard or occasionally a PG, Jordan likely guarded them. Try again, kid.

OldSchoolBBall
12-04-2008, 04:53 PM

It's actually because he has a 4-5 bpg front line behind him now. That's why he was never impressive in these same defensive metrics the last few years, despite making defensive first team each season. What changed? Shotblocking big men is what changed.

AItheAnswer3
12-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Dwight Howard's winning DPOY. Dude's averaging 14 boards and 4 blocks. He's an average man defender but a great help defender. Since the voters seem to care a lot about stats, I wouldn't be surprised if Dwight gets it. Stats are pretty much the only reason Camby won it.

Allstar24
12-04-2008, 04:59 PM
It's actually because he has a 4-5 bpg front line behind him now. That's why he was never impressive in these same defensive metrics the last few years, despite making defensive first team each season. What changed? Shotblocking big men is what changed.
You sound like a broken record.

OldSchoolBBall
12-04-2008, 05:03 PM
You sound like a broken record.

Truth must hurt. And even a broken record is right twice a day...

lefthook00
12-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Stop acting like Kobes been in the league for 3 years. Guarding 4th options? Have you just started watching Kobe play a couple years ago? He has shown over and over in 12+ years that he can be a GREAT defender. FACE IT. He doesn't deserve DPOY, but don't act like he isn't the best superstar defender.

stephanieg
12-04-2008, 05:29 PM
The only perimeter player who (should) have a chance at DPOY is Wade if he gets 200 steals and 100 blocks.

OldSchoolBBall
12-04-2008, 05:33 PM
He doesn't deserve DPOY, but don't act like he isn't the best superstar defender.

KG and Duncan aren't superstars?

srekaL
12-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Kobe plays to much help defense and sags off of his man all of the time. Usually resulting in open 3's or the Lakers being in a scramble mode defensively. He never gives any SG's any respect in the beginning of games until they start torching the Lakers. When he decides to play up to his capabilities he can play some suffocating defense. I don't think he'll have a chance unless the Lakers finish as Top 3 Defensive team. If you watched the last 8 games or so, you'll know that the Lakers defense has been nonexistant.

Anti404
12-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Stop acting like Kobes been in the league for 3 years. Guarding 4th options? Have you just started watching Kobe play a couple years ago? He has shown over and over in 12+ years that he can be a GREAT defender. FACE IT. He doesn't deserve DPOY, but don't act like he isn't the best superstar defender.
What?

srekaL
12-04-2008, 07:01 PM
What?

Maybe he meant perimeter defender?

Jacks3
12-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Yes, he has including Artest, Brandon Roy, etc.:pimp:

Jacks3
12-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Where was Kobe's D on Rondo in game 6?:oldlol:

MJ always guarded the 1 or 2 best peremiter player depending on the situation. Alot different from what Kobe did..

He was guarding Pierce in game 6 and he did a fine job. He also guarded Ray Allen the first 2 games. He guarded Pierce in the pivotal 4th quarters of every game that series. Again,the strategy of putting Kobe on Rondo actually worked.And Kobe has been consistenly guarding the other teams best player for the past decade. Friggin Jordan groupies...:oldlol:

bleedinpurpleTwo
12-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Kobe is widely regarded as one of the best on-ball defenders in the game.
period.
However, I'm not sure that warrants DPOY... esp since we are not even halfway thru the season.

Godfather
12-04-2008, 09:10 PM
He was guarding Pierce in game 6 and he did a fine job. He also guarded Ray Allen the first 2 games. He guarded Pierce in the pivotal 4th quarters of every game that series. Again,the strategy of putting Kobe on Rondo actually worked.And Kobe has been consistenly guarding the other teams best player for the past decade. Friggin Jordan groupies...:oldlol:

:banghead:

Again I question if you even watched the series. Not only was Kobe guarding Rondo from 6 feet away throughout game 6 he allowed Rondo to get the better of him on several occasions allowing the Celtics to run away with the title.

Jacks3
12-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Is that why he posted a defensive PER of 13.4 in 07-08 despite not having Bynum for the majority of the year? Yeah, he really needed him.:roll:

Jacks3
12-04-2008, 09:16 PM
:banghead:

Again I question if you even watched the series. Not only was Kobe guarding Rondo from 6 feet away throughout game 6 he allowed Rondo to get the better of him on several occasions allowing the Celtics to run away with the title.
. Kobe being allowed to sag off Rondo and play as the team/help defender was the POINT. Why do you think the Celtics made their big run in game 4 when Rondo when out and was replaced with Eddie House? The strategy to put Kobe on rondo clogged the lanes and disrupted the Celtics spacing. It was by far the best move Phil made in that series.:banghead:

Godfather
12-04-2008, 09:21 PM
. Kobe being allowed to sag off Rondo and play as the team/help defender was the POINT. Why do you think the Celtics made their big run in game 4 when Rondo when out and was replaced with Eddie House? The strategy to put Kobe on rondo clogged the lanes and disrupted the Celtics spacing. It was by far the best move Phil made in that series.:banghead:

You are as smart as a door knob (why do you keep posting on ISH). Game 6 was Rondo's best game, as he got 21 points (1 point less than Kobe while shooting more efficiently) and and 8 assists (7 more than bean Bryant).

LA_Showtime
12-04-2008, 09:24 PM
You are as smart as a door knob (why do you keep posting on ISH). Game 6 was Rondo's best game, as he got 21 points (1 point less than Kobe while shooting more efficiently) and and 8 assists (7 more than bean Bryant).

Your avatar says it all.

Jacks3
12-04-2008, 09:25 PM
And Kobe was on Pierce in Game 6 you ****in moron. I'm speaking of games 3-5. Rondo and the Celtics offense had their best offensive showings when Kobe wasn't on Rondo. Coincidence?No.Idiot....

Jacks3
12-04-2008, 09:26 PM
:ohwell:

Godfather
12-04-2008, 09:30 PM
:ohwell:

Like I said before choosing to sag off Rondo in game 6 cost them the series (look at Rondo's stats).

Godfather
12-04-2008, 09:33 PM
And Kobe was on Pierce in Game 6 you ****in moron. I'm speaking of games 3-5. Rondo and the Celtics offense had their best offensive showings when Kobe wasn't on Rondo. Coincidence?No.Idiot....

Again did you watch the game? Rondo was getting to the rim on Kobe...

Jacks3
12-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Like I said before choosing to sag off Rondo in game 6 cost them the series (look at Rondo's stats).
BUT KOBE WAS NOT GUARDING HIM IN GAME 6.

Jacks3
12-04-2008, 09:39 PM
:roll: In games 3-5?:roll: When Kobe was on him?No, he was a complete non-factor those games.

spursdynasty420
12-04-2008, 09:44 PM
DPOY will go to a big man

ShowTime LA
12-04-2008, 09:55 PM
:roll: :roll:

Godfather
12-04-2008, 09:59 PM
:roll: :roll:

It's pretty annoying having to argue w/ all 3 of your accounts at once.

beasted86
12-04-2008, 10:14 PM
He doesn't deserve DPOY, but don't act like he isn't the best superstar defender.

He's not the best superstar defender.... by far. I don't feel the need to compile a huge list.

Godfather
12-04-2008, 10:16 PM
He's not the best superstar defender.... by far. I don't feel the need to compile a huge list.

Lol I cannot believe that kid said that...

That title belongs to Tim Duncan.

Lebron23
12-04-2008, 10:22 PM
DPOY will go to a big man

Dwight Howard - if the can lead the NBA in Rebounding and Shot Blocks.

ShowTime LA
12-04-2008, 11:57 PM
It's pretty annoying having to argue w/ all 3 of your accounts at once.

GTFO , this is my only account.

godofgods
12-05-2008, 02:34 AM
Kobe's defense is the most overrated of all time.

DuMa
12-05-2008, 03:26 AM
Kobe didnt even try to guard anyone in the Finals. he sure as hell didnt try to check Rondo. Phil didnt plan to use him as a help defender. who is he going to help in time? He is not as explosive as he used to be. He couldnt help anyone coming from the weak side. Phil was putting Kobe on Rondo to avoid him having expend too much energy trying to guard pierce or allen, and let him try to have one of his scoring outburts.

Diesel J
12-11-2008, 08:09 PM
:lol All Kobe does is gamble...just like he did in the Olympicslol

Phil says Kobe should focus more on team defense

[quote]Me:

KeylessEntry
12-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Kobe is an above average defender but not anywhere close to DPOY material. I think Lebron and Garnett are front runners right now, and maybe even Wade if he keeps the insane block #'s coming.

Maniak
12-11-2008, 08:13 PM
This will not happen

Lakers Fan
12-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Wow I thought this thread had been deleted! :oldlol:

Kobe made me eat crow though. He had been a beast defensively up until I made this thread. Now he is struggling at both ends of the floor. I jinxed his ass? :wtf:

Maniak
12-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Wow I thought this thread had been deleted! :oldlol:

Kobe made me eat crow though. He had been a beast defensively up until I made this thread. Now he is struggling at both ends of the floor. I jinxed his ass? :wtf:

Or he is declining, like Allen Iverson and Jason Kidd

But wait, Kobe is god so he must never decline! :rolleyes:

Jinxed
12-11-2008, 08:52 PM
The best defensive players are rarely if ever offensive stars..it takes too much work to play that well on both ends. However there are a few exceptions..

According to Roland Ratings..or Defensive PER...your opposing position players PER

Kirilenko is the top player defensively so far this year that recieves a lot of minutes.Ron Artest is second, and is the top ranked player that starts.

http://www.82games.com/0809/ROLRTG3.HTM

Another Stat is the +/- ratio's...per minute

Dwayne Wade is number one defensive player. Bowen Number 2.

However, these need to be adjusted to whose playing on your team. Which hasn't been done yet.

AJ2k8
12-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Or he is declining, like Allen Iverson and Jason Kidd

But wait, Kobe is god so he must never decline! :rolleyes:
It certainly looks as though he's declining, although someone of his caliber doesn't decline this quick. I think its safe to say that he's lost his quickness he once had and together with that he keeps delaying surgery on his pinkie but at the same time taking more mid-long range J's and they're just clanking off the back of the rim.

The Pinkie is definitely effecting his longer range J but he was too damn greedy to take the first month off recovering from surgery on it.:banghead:

Diesel J
12-13-2008, 02:27 AM
Kobe in back to back games has made John Salmons look like an all star. Where is the D at?:roll:

Jacks3
12-13-2008, 02:31 AM
Defensive PER: 12.0
eFG%:46%
Just to sick.:pimp:

Showtime
12-13-2008, 02:33 AM
Kobe in back to back games has made John Salmons look like an all star. Where is the D at?:roll:
lol there's no such thing as John Salmons /voter

Diesel J
12-22-2008, 02:30 AM

PER Against:

eFG% Against:
43%

where do you find this "PER Against" and "eFG aganst" stat?

DuMa
12-22-2008, 02:32 AM
idiot. theres no pure statistic to rate defense. you have to watch the game.

Showtime
12-22-2008, 02:39 AM
I don't get it. They said when Kobe has less pressure by having better teammates in the olympics, he can be a lock down defensive stopper. Well, his fans are also saying he's taking on a lesser role on this Laker team with better players, yet he's not playing lock down defense. DPOY? First team? Give me a break.

Finn T-Mac
12-22-2008, 07:05 AM
Can we say Dwight Howard and LeBron are all better than Kobe on D right now. It's not just the D but how Howard affects to the shots teams take and how they drive to the basket.

Diesel J
01-10-2009, 12:16 AM

where do I find these stats?

Jacks3
01-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Why? So you can continue hating on Kobe and sucking LeBron's ****?:lol

gleden
01-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Pacers shooting 77% on kobes ass right now lol

Kobe24
01-10-2009, 12:19 AM

Because Kobe's guarding Murphy and the rest of the roster. Whan an idiot, you are.

Godfather

I can't find them :(

I searched for both of those, but got a couple of articles from 3-4 years ago.

Jacks3
Yeah, Kobe is responsible for all 5 players.:lol

HisJoeness
01-10-2009, 12:22 AM
You're right the whole Lakers team is playing horrible defense.

Diesel J
01-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Why? So you can continue hating on Kobe and sucking LeBron's ****?:lol

So I can shut your b!tch azz up:oldlol: . You posted Kobe's early on in support of Kobe being a great defensive player, now post Kobe's and Lebron's current one. You scared?:confusedshrug: :violin:

Jacks3
01-10-2009, 12:26 AM
So I shut you b!tch azz up:oldlol: . You posted Kobe's early on in support of Kobe being a great defensive player, now post Kobe's and Lebron's current one. You scared?:confusedshrug: :violin:
Exactly. I hadn't realized we were in a Lebron/Kobe comparison thread. Apparently it's very much on your mind.

Diesel J
01-10-2009, 12:59 AM
Exactly. I hadn't realized we were in a Lebron/Kobe comparison thread. Apparently it's very much on your mind.

You sound shook:oldlol: Just post the stats..

Jacks3
01-10-2009, 01:04 AM
You sound shook:oldlol: Just post the stats..
want to continue sucking on that LeBron dick eh?:roll:

Diesel J
03-04-2009, 12:54 PM
I can't find them :(

I searched for both of those, but got a couple of articles from 3-4 years ago.

I finally found them lol

I finally found this stat you've been hiding for months from me:oldlol:

KObe

Defensive PER: 13.5

eFG% Allowed:49.6%

Lets see some others in the MVP race....

Wade

Defensive PER: 11.9

eFG% Allowed: 49.5%

Lebron

Defensive PER: 10.3

eFG% Allowed: 46.1%

Now, I know why you wouldn't tell me:roll:

Tainted Sword
03-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Kobe getting the dpoy award this season would be a crime. He's been so lazy on D this year it isn't funny. Infact, i'd go as far to say he's the reason our D breaks down alot.

quasimoto
03-04-2009, 01:23 PM
It really should be Dwight Howard and nobody else.

DuMa
03-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Kobe gettin on the all-d team would be a joke as well

Showtime
03-04-2009, 01:25 PM
It really should be Dwight Howard and nobody else.
If a center who leads the league in blocks and rebounds can't win it because of an overblown reputation of a player who has been consistently beaten off the dribble and doesn't put 100% into guarding his man this season, then I really have lost all faith in anybody who has a vote.

Babalu
03-04-2009, 01:30 PM
kobe is not DPOY, He plays horrible off the ball defense. He loves to float around and force others to have to rotate when there should be no reason to which in turn causes some open looks. When he puts his mind to denying someone the ball or guarding 1 on 1 he is one of the best, but that is not consistant.

He is lazy on defense in order to save energy for offense. Not knocking on kobe but he is not dpoy.

AllenIverson3
03-04-2009, 01:34 PM

Coming from a Laker stan...:lol

ruslan
03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Coming from a Laker stan...:lol

:violin:

lilderrickrose
03-04-2009, 01:42 PM
I actually thought of giving DPOY to Kobe. Until I watched him play against OJ Mayo. Mayos score pretty easily on Kobe. Averaging 20ppg on him on 50% FG and 57% 3pt shooting. Kobe doesn't watch the ball, Mayo has hit Kobe with 3 backdoor cuts one in each game they have played. If you can't shut a rookie down below his season averages you don't deserve to be DPOY.

Mdog1
03-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Wow wasn't this thread one of the biggest fails in thread history? If it isn't Dwight that wins it is LeBron, and if it isn't LeBron then it is Wade, if it isn't Wade there are about 20 other people in front of Kobe for the DPOY.

clayton
03-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Wade said no.

andgar923
03-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Kobe's the most overrated defensive player of all time.

Funny how I think the past 2 seasons have been amongst his BEST ever.

c_az_a
03-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Kobe only plays on one end of the floor. If he played all D all game, his shooting percentage will go down the drain.

B-Easy
03-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Kobe is a DPOY candidate every year.....on the internet.

ImmortalD24
03-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Out of Kobe, Wade, and Lebron.. Kobe is without a doubt is the best 1on1 defender.

B-Easy
03-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Out of Kobe, Wade, and Lebron.. Kobe is without a doubt is the best 1on1 defender.

i think Lebron is since he can even guard 3s and 4s.....Wade/Kobe are limited to guards.

andgar923
03-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Kobe is the best ball denier out of the "stars."

But that's it.

And mostly due because he gets away with alot of bumping and grabbing that most players don't.

jjayfive
03-04-2009, 03:22 PM
kobe is no the DPOY... he plays passing lanes well, help shot blocking and ball denial... but his man on man defense have really been average the last few years..

bleedinpurpleTwo
03-04-2009, 03:42 PM
kobe is no the DPOY... he plays passing lanes well, help shot blocking and ball denial... but his man on man defense have really been average the last few years..

nope. he is one of the best man-on-man defenders in the league. no doubt. just ask Lebron.

anyway, Howard will get the award.

Showtime
03-04-2009, 06:17 PM
nope. he is one of the best man-on-man defenders in the league. no doubt. just ask Lebron.

anyway, Howard will get the award.
Kobe has been beaten off the dribble more this year than in recent memory. He doesn't lock anybody down anymore. He had one good game against Lebron, where both players struggled. How can you call Kobe one of the best man-on-man defenders when Ariza quite often gets the toughest assignment? He's not even the best on his TEAM!

Gingereffic
03-04-2009, 06:30 PM

Are you kidding. He will be lucky to get on the defensive team as a second teamer. Of course they usually just give it to him for some reason other than how he plays defense. Even Phil and Tex have said this... I think Howard is DPOY, than Wade and then James and KG...

Gingereffic
03-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Kobe's the most overrated defensive player of all time.

Funny how I think the past 2 seasons have been amongst his BEST ever.

I would have to put Kobe in most overrated defender in the NBA...

PoGoMon
03-04-2009, 06:33 PM

Is this a joke?:applause: :roll: :roll:

You must NOT have directv. Wade makes Kobe look like a college player when it comes to DPOY

Jacks3
03-04-2009, 07:04 PM
He's been phenomenal defensively this year and is easily a top 5 perimeter defender in the league. He should definitely make All-Defense 1st team again.
13.4 Defensive PER
Consistently guards the best of the best for entire games-Wade twice/LeBron twice/Redd/Roy/Granger/Richardson/Joe Johnson/PierceGranger etc.
He's been on 1's/2's and 3's.
He's had a bunch of games where he's literally shut down All-Star type players. He held Wade to 5-14 shooting in their last match-up. 2nd game at Boston he shut down Pierce during the last 2 minutes of the 4th and then in OT. Did as good a job against Bron as anybody especially in the 1st game. Had a game earlier this year where he held Mike Redd to to 2 points or something ridiculousness like that. Last game at vs Atlanta he completely shut down Joe Johnson.Dude is a beast.

:bowdown:

zabuza666
03-04-2009, 07:16 PM
I finally found them lol

I finally found this stat you've been hiding for months from me:oldlol:

KObe

Defensive PER: 13.5

eFG% Allowed:49.6%

Lets see some others in the MVP race....

Wade

Defensive PER: 11.9

eFG% Allowed: 49.5%

Lebron

Defensive PER: 10.3

eFG% Allowed: 46.1%

Now, I know why you wouldn't tell me:roll:

Jacks3 just got exposed :roll: :roll: :roll: I always knew he was a Kobe homer.

Jacks3
03-04-2009, 07:24 PM
LOL at these idiots. I'm using the Defensive PER formula not the OPP formula. Two different things.

Morons :oldlol:

zabuza666
03-04-2009, 07:27 PM
LOL at these idiots. I'm using the Defensive PER formula not the OPP formula. Two different things.

Morons :oldlol:

I'm pretty sure I posted the defensive PER. You lost all credibility when you refused to post the defensive PER stats of Lebron/Wade after posting Kobe's (to praise him) as you knew it'd make him look worse.

Jacks3
03-04-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm pretty sure I posted the defensive PER. You lost all credibility when you refused to post the defensive PER stats of Lebron/Wade after posting Kobe's (to praise him) as you knew it'd make him look worse.
Not really. I posted it because Kobe has an excellent defensive PER.Also, this is not a comparison thread between Wade/Lebron but whatever. I don't think you have the Defensive PER's right...

Wade 15.0-http:http://www.82games.com/0809/08MIA5.HTM

Kobe-13.4-http:http://www.82games.com/0809/08LAL4.HTM
Bron-13.0 at SF,15.5 at PF-http://www.82games.com/0809/08CLE9.HTM

zabuza666
03-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Not really. I posted it because Kobe has an excellent defensive PER.Also, this is not a comparison thread between Wade/Lebron but whatever. I don't think you have the Defensive PER's right...

So lebron still has a better PER:roll: :roll:

Jacks3
03-04-2009, 07:39 PM
So lebron still has a better PER:roll: :roll:
1. .4 is so slight a difference it's basically nothing. And his PER at PF is mediocre.
2.SG is a better offensive position in the league then SF.
3. LeBron,especially without Bynum, has easily the better defensive team and coach.
4. Kobe still consistently guards the best of the best more routinely then Bron.

:oldlol:

B-Easy
03-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Defensive PER is OK.....its not that accurate cause it doesnt take into account the team around em..most importantly defensive frontcourt. A blow by can still result on a missed shot if Z, Bynum are downlow..with Joel Anthony and Udonis Haslem its a little different.

raptorfan_dr07
03-04-2009, 07:58 PM
John Salmons, Joey Graham, and Ronnie Brewer all have something to say about this thread.

JustinJDW
03-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Kobe winning Defensive Player Of The Year? Haha! :roll:

There are plenty of people to give the Reward to other than Kobe Bryant. Plenty!

Jacks3
03-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Anyone who thinks Kobe is DPOY is a moron, however, he is very much deserving of All-NBA defensive 1st team.

:hammertime:

Al Thornton
03-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Marcus Camby would win if he wasn't injured most of the year and the Clippers had a better record. My choice is Shane Battier probably the best defensive wing player right now who never gets ANY credit.

G-train
03-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Dwight controls the defensive backboard, plays decent post defense and blocks shots. He'll most likely win.

OneMoreSucka
03-04-2009, 08:41 PM
My vote is for Lebron.

Diesel J
03-05-2009, 12:52 AM

godofgods
03-05-2009, 08:59 AM
KB is the most overrated defensive player, EVER.

Jacks3
03-05-2009, 09:16 AM

..:rolleyes:

gpfanz
03-05-2009, 09:33 AM

How u know?! :(

LA_Showtime
03-05-2009, 09:45 AM
I like how people who are a little crazy and obsessed with Kobe say that PER means nothing and then throw out stats like Kobe's defensive impact vs. LeBron's or Wade's. Then you have the opposite where people use Kobe's PER against him and then say defensive impact through statistics is worthless.

Knoe Itawl
03-05-2009, 10:16 AM

Quite true. The funny thing is that when you take away his homer fans, and the ignorant media, most other NBA fans agree.

He can play good to very good defense at times, but he's far too inconsistant to be praised as some kind of all time great.

Oh, and :oldlol: @ the OP.

Diesel J
03-13-2009, 10:14 AM
2.SG is a better offensive position in the league then SF.

Lebron guards SG's and SF's. SF spot is deeper than the SG spot in the NBA right now.

The Magic Man
03-13-2009, 11:35 AM

I don't know about all that. I agree that he is overrated due to his gambling but he is a very good defender. To call him the MOAT is just stupid when guys like Bruce Bowen, Ron Artest, and Shane Battier (who Kobe and others have torched in the past) are being called great defenders.

boozehound
03-13-2009, 11:37 AM

keep dreaming

Diesel J
03-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Looking at the scoring list, SF's (many also play SG) are all over it

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/sortableStats?league=NBA&stable=scoring&stat=pointsAverage&dir=descending&low=1&high=50&showPlayers=all&position=all&season=regular

Cabbage
03-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Kobe? Maybe. I'd say D-Wade is the leading candidate for DPOY so far.

D...WIGHT

HOWARD

RoseCity07
03-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Kobe Bryant has the most overrated defense of any star I've ever seen. I am constantly seeing Lebron or Wade block someone or get in the passing lanes and get a steal. Yet Kobe is on every nationally televised game and it's a chuck fest. I don't see any special defense.

He is an above average defender but not better than guys like Wade or Lebron. Hell, Shane Battier, Artest, and Bowen are all better defenders than Kobe.

The Magic Man
03-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Kobe Bryant has the most overrated defense of any star I've ever seen. I am constantly seeing Lebron or Wade block someone or get in the passing lanes and get a steal. Yet Kobe is on every nationally televised game and it's a chuck fest. I don't see any special defense.

He is an above average defender but not better than guys like Wade or Lebron. Hell, Shane Battier, Artest, and Bowen are all better defenders than Kobe.

That's the problem with a lot of guys on this site. I don't claim to watch every single NBA game but I can comment on what I see. A lot of you guys will watch Kobe/ LBJ/ Wade 5-6 times a year and form an oppinion on those games alone. Kobe has a bad game on tv 3 times while Wade has 3 great games, now Wade >>>>>>>>>>>Kobe? Foolishness.

Manute for Ever!
03-13-2009, 12:54 PM
He gets defensive first team by rep alone. His man D is not that special