PDA

View Full Version : Maurice Cheeks FIRED!

AllenIverson3
12-13-2008, 01:17 PM
just heard on the news that Maurice Cheeks has been fired as Philadelphia 76ers head coach.

Update: It's official - http://www.insidehoops.com/sixers-fire-cheeks-121308.shtml

danumber88
12-13-2008, 01:19 PM
To almost Coach of the Year award to the addition of Brand, they are down, their record is down.. not suprised if he was fired. :ohwell: :ohwell:

El Kabong
12-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Who's the replacement?

Grinder
12-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Horrible news. Sounds like a kneejerk reaction after a trademark slow start from Mo.

Yung D-Will
12-13-2008, 01:23 PM
No surprise he was fired he hasen't been able to incorporate Elton Brand into the 76's offense.

Hopper15
12-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Iggy and Brand just didn't seem to complement each other in Cheeks system.

loot
12-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Iggy and Brand just didn't seem to complement each other in Cheeks system.
actually iggy was one of the better sixers in the half court set with brand. problem is miller, he's not suited for this system.

Mr_Basketball#1
12-13-2008, 01:28 PM
just heard on the news that Maurice Cheeks has been fired as Philadelphia 76ers head coach.
He's a pretty good coach. I think he'll get another job soon. I think he was one of the classiest NBA coaches. I'll never forget how he helped the girl with the star spangled banner in Portland. Great NBA moment!

MaxFly
12-13-2008, 01:29 PM

I can't remember a year where so many coaches were fired so early in the season.

StroShow4
12-13-2008, 01:32 PM
i can confirm this, they just reported it on espn. they said no news yet on who is taking over.

Horatio33
12-13-2008, 01:34 PM
even when he coached at portland, thought he was overrated.

Styles p
12-13-2008, 01:35 PM
hopefully avery johnson.

BlazersDozen
12-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Cheeks is a horrible offensive coach. He was a bad offensive coach in Portland and a bad one in Philly.

The 76ers could use somebody with past experiance of how to use a big man like Sam Mitchell who did a fantastic job in Toronto by using Chris Bosh to his fullest potential.

chocolatethunder
12-13-2008, 01:38 PM
hopefully avery johnson.
Hopefully not. No coach can give Iguodala a jumpshot or teach that bum how to dribble.

wang4three
12-13-2008, 01:39 PM
This team would be better served with VanGundy as coach. They're built to play his style.

big baller
12-13-2008, 01:45 PM
:eek: bad move philly, u didnt even sign a new coach u let tht assistant take over....

A.M.G.
12-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Oh snap. This is getting out of hand. Which coach will be fired next week I wonder?

ElPigto
12-13-2008, 01:52 PM
This team would be better served with VanGundy as coach. They're built to play his style.

No they aren't.

They are a horrible three point shooting team. The fact that their starting guard is Miller does not help much either.

Defensively he would help them, but offensively they wouldn't become much better unless they start acquiring some shooters. JVG loves to have the post surrounded by shooters, if you don't have that you won't be successful in his system.

The reason we always started slow under Van Gundy with the Rockets is because of the poor three point shooting starting the season.

loot
12-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Next: Move Dre Miller for Kaman in a 3way and send Dalembert to Chi for Hinrich.

crounsa810
12-13-2008, 01:54 PM
I saw that the Assistant GM is taking over. Yeah, because thats gonna help. I really wish they had kept him. Sure, they're struggling, but you have Brand, who seems to be a curse if u want to win, and you have Igoudala who signed a contract and proceeded to play half as well as he did last year, same with Lou Williams. I really don't think the coach was the problem. Oh well.

Anyone by any chance know the record for number of coaches fired in a year? Because we may break that record, if we haven't already. Don't forget, we still have Theus and Iavaroni who haven't been fired yet, but will be soon. And then you have Jim O'Brien, who may be fired as well, and also Oklahoma's interim coach, and Mike Dunleavy, and then that may be all. Maybe. So thats the chance to have 10 coaches fired in one season. Crazy.

crounsa810
12-13-2008, 01:55 PM
U would think that with all the available coaches, they would hire one instead of letting the assistant GM take over. Not so smart.

new noise
12-13-2008, 01:56 PM
This is really too bad, he's one of the better coaches in the league and didn't deserve the same fate as Mitchell in Toronto and Wittman in Minny. Just another example of the ridiculous coaching carousel in the NBA - granted the Sixers haven't looked great thus far, but tell me how 9-14 is some gigantic disappointment for a young team trying to work an all-star into the offense.

At the very least Mo Cheeks deserved the benefit of 30 games or so to try to get things going. I blame the players - you get exactly the player you're missing in Brand, and you can't step your sh*t up?

GOBB
12-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Sixers fired Mo Cheeks and assistant GM Tony Dileo will coach the remainder of the season. Sixers problems were in abundance from defense, to managing players during a game. Usually coaches get a raw deal but he was apart of the problem. I just dont know why they gave him an extension. As far as Tony Dileo he has coached overseas in Germany for 10yrs. Both mens and womans teams. Wrote a book about american players transition overseas among other things like the rule change difference and so forth.

So he might be a D'Antoni. Dunno. If I'm a player on the Sixers? I'm worried about my job. Trades could be next.

AllenIverson3
12-13-2008, 01:57 PM
He's a pretty good coach. I think he'll get another job soon. I think he was one of the classiest NBA coaches. I'll never forget how he helped the girl with the star spangled banner in Portland. Great NBA moment!

ya that was unforgettable

KeylessEntry
12-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Horrible news. Sounds like a kneejerk reaction after a trademark slow start from Mo.

Agreed. The sixers had a slow start last year too. Its a shame he was fired, I think Mo is one of the better coaches in the NBA. I am sure he won't have a hard time finding another job.

loot
12-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Sixers fired Mo Cheeks and assistant GM Tony Dileo will coach the remainder of the season. Sixers problems were in abundance from defense, to managing players during a game. Usually coaches get a raw deal but he was apart of the problem. I just dont know why they gave him an extension. As far as Tony Dileo he has coached overseas in Germany for 10yrs. Both mens and womans teams. Wrote a book about american players transition overseas among other things like the rule change difference and so forth.

So he might be a D'Antoni. Dunno. If I'm a player on the Sixers? I'm worried about my job. Trades could be next.

YAY!

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-13-2008, 02:05 PM
lebron is a certified coach killer.

steve
12-13-2008, 02:06 PM
U would think that with all the available coaches, they would hire one instead of letting the assistant GM take over. Not so smart.
What available coach is going to come to a new team where they have to learn all the players and figure how best to use them. It would be months before they figured that out and they'd essentially be a lame duck coach anyway. No, if a team fires a coach midseason then they'll almost always hire from within the organization with the understanding that the guy will probably be gone in the offseason.

crounsa810
12-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah but I don't know. I think they could find a coach that could fit in to the team even in the middle of the season. Look how many are available there's gotta be one who could do it.

konex
12-13-2008, 02:13 PM
WTF, Brand has been terrible. How can they blame Cheeks? These teams ain't playing this year :roll:

GOBB
12-13-2008, 02:14 PM
You guys are feeling sorry for Mo Cheeks? What was he good at?

Sixers look bad from every angle. Offense, Defense, Bench. Shooting bad from the field, FT and 3pt arc. Brand isnt being utilized as he should. Questionable substitutions.

GOBB
12-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Yeah but I don't know. I think they could find a coach that could fit in to the team even in the middle of the season. Look how many are available there's gotta be one who could do it.

Who knows if Tony Dileo is a bad choice. Check his background first.

SHEED_ gangsta
12-13-2008, 02:18 PM
wow what's going on these days if you have a losing slump and you get fired? Mo Cheeks did'nt desserve that man. Mitchell yeah but not Cheeks it's not his fault Iggy and Brand are playing like crap wtf is he supposed to do? a coach can't make the ball go in the basket if these guys are shooting a low percentage ther's nothing yuo can do

Posterize246
12-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Cheeks was being exposed this season since he actually had talent.

1. Awful substitution patterns
2. Poor perimeter defense
3. Terrible half-court sets

It's crazy that Dileo is taking over. I became friends with his son TJ this year, both freshmen at Temple. TJ's playing for the basketball team too.

GOBB
12-13-2008, 02:33 PM
SAS just said Tony Dileo will be the interim for the rest of the season and Eddie Jordan will be the HC of the team next season. Wth Eddie Jordan?

steve
12-13-2008, 02:35 PM
You guys are feeling sorry for Mo Cheeks? What was he good at?

Sixers look bad from every angle. Offense, Defense, Bench. Shooting bad from the field, FT and 3pt arc. Brand isnt being utilized as he should. Questionable substitutions.
True, but part of the problem was that management was looking at the situation "glass half full" (we're a young team on the definite rise) when the situation could've easily just been "glass half empty" (we're a young team that overachieved significantly last season). Of course the coach has to be partly blamed for that because Cheeks really didn't build off of what happened last season.

dak121
12-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Another coach fired that would be a solid upgrade over Del Negro.

Sixers problem is that their roster is put together all wrong for Brand. They need more shooters (as always) and to figure out who to trade between Iguodala/Young. Or be prepared to replace Miller with a better shooter at PG.

SilentObserver
12-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Good move imo, i wish sammy the best.

chocolatethunder
12-13-2008, 03:09 PM
actually iggy was one of the better sixers in the half court set
with brand. problem is miller, he's not suited for this system.
Seriously? This is a guy that can't dribble or shoot, has no post game and can't put it on the floor. He is the opposite of a half court player. He averaged 20ppg last year. This year he's averaging 15ppg. He's shooting 25% from three and averaging 3 TOs a game, and they're not even running. I could live with the TOs if he was constantly running the break or something. Do you watch Sixers games? Iguodala jacks up awful shots and has a terrible handle especially when he takes it to the hole. He is a turnover waiting to happen. I know you hate Andre Miller but everybody is s h i t t i n g the bed in this system. Look at Brand's, Lou Williams', Dalembert's, and Miller's numbers. They are all down. You say Miller's not a half court PG but Iguodala is not a half court anything. I don't care who you put to pick and roll with Brand, the rest of the team isn't cut out for this half court BS. If your teams best shooter is a 36 year old Donyell Marshall, then you have a problem if you wanna run half court sets.

sixerfan3511
12-13-2008, 03:11 PM
idk this is tough for me, i like Mo. I don't think he is the greatest coach alive but i don't think he's a bad one. Sure we have had a very disappointing start. And it all falls on the coach. So from that standpoint i'm not surprised he got fired. But we just said recently that his job is safe. I don't know. I hope we get an established coach like Eddie Jordan, he would be perfect. Meantime, i wish him the best of luck and hopefully we can turn this season into what we expected it to be.

loot
12-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Seriously? This is a guy that can't dribble or shoot, has no post game and can't put it on the floor. He is the opposite of a half court player. He averaged 20ppg last year. This year he's averaging 15ppg. He's shooting 25% from three and averaging 3 TOs a game, and they're not even running. I could live with the TOs if he was constantly running the break or something. Do you watch Sixers games? Iguodala jacks up awful shots and has a terrible handle especially when he takes it to the hole. He is a turnover waiting to happen. I know you hate Andre Miller but everybody is s h i t t i n g the bed in this system. Look at Brand's, Lou Williams', Dalembert's, and Miller's numbers. They are all down. You say Miller's not a half court PG but Iguodala is not a half court anything. I don't care who you put to pick and roll with Brand, the rest of the team isn't cut out for this half court BS. If your teams best shooter is a 36 year old Donyell Marshall, then you have a problem if you wanna run half court sets.

I only watched 6 sixer games this season, in 4 of those iggy ran the pick & roll really well, but youre right about the team being a mess.

idea: ship brand to lac for randolph.

chocolatethunder
12-13-2008, 04:00 PM
I only watched 6 sixer games this season, in 4 of those iggy ran the pick & roll really well, but youre right about the team being a mess.

idea: ship brand to lac for randolph.
I've watched every game so trust me I'm not making anything up. I hope that you're joking about Randolph.

loot
12-13-2008, 04:21 PM
I've watched every game so trust me I'm not making anything up. I hope that you're joking about Randolph.
Would work out pretty well for the Clippers.

hoopaddict08
12-13-2008, 05:05 PM
I don't think this means Mo is a bad coach, sometimes coaches and teams just don't work out to what they expected. He might succeed somewhere else and someone else might find success with Philly. They should hire Flip Saunders.

crounsa810
12-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Press conference is on right now. Reporters seem pissed that he fired him and didn't get rid of players. A lot of questions about Brand not working out, etc. I agree though. He shouldn't have been fired. Brand is not the great player they thought he is. He's not a proven winner. Yeah, his career stats are pretty, but it means nothing if he hasn't ever been on a winner. In nine seasons, he's been in the playoffs once. Once. That's it. If he's such a great player, wouldn't he be able to carry his team at least to the playoffs? He's a nice guy, he just isn't meant to be the star of a team, and thats what Stefanski wants him to be. Not gonna work.

Anyway, DiLeo seems like a cool guy, but still he's not Mo Cheeks. Mo should still be here. DiLeo reminds me of someone, I just can't figure out who. Michael Keaton? No not Michael Keaton. Idk but he reminds me of someone.

Also, it sucks that they had to fire him near Christmas time. That's not cool.

catzhernandez
12-13-2008, 06:22 PM
How does Mo get fired but OB gets to keep his job?

JohnnyBravo5
12-13-2008, 06:25 PM
lol should have offered Josh Smith a contract. Elton Brand hasn't done squat for a team in 10 years.

chocolatethunder
12-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Press conference is on right now. Reporters seem pissed that he fired him and didn't get rid of players. A lot of questions about Brand not working out, etc. I agree though. He shouldn't have been fired. Brand is not the great player they thought he is. He's not a proven winner. Yeah, his career stats are pretty, but it means nothing if he hasn't ever been on a winner. In nine seasons, he's been in the playoffs once. Once. That's it. If he's such a great player, wouldn't he be able to carry his team at least to the playoffs? He's a nice guy, he just isn't meant to be the star of a team, and thats what Stefanski wants him to be. Not gonna work.

Anyway, DiLeo seems like a cool guy, but still he's not Mo Cheeks. Mo should still be here. DiLeo reminds me of someone, I just can't figure out who. Michael Keaton? No not Michael Keaton. Idk but he reminds me of someone.
I love Cheeks as a player and he is the nicest dude on earth but he just sucks as a head coach. This team needs a shooter. If they had a shooter they would be a completely different team. The problem is, that now in the NBA there are only a handful of shooters. They need to ditch Iggy for a shooter and let Young develop. Young is very good and is getting better all the time.

GOBB
12-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Shooting isnt the only problem. Why many harp on it and for good reasons. There are a list of issues with the Sixers where if Sixers had shooters? Doesnt solve all those problems. Who on the Sixers gets to the line a significant amount of time? Who? Devin friggin Harris is getting to the line like an AI would. Who on the Sixers are causing/forcing turnovers? Team stinks there.

My point is its not like you add better shooters and see a vast improvement. You replace Iggy with a legit SG and you see a vast improvement. It would just be 1 maybe 2 steps in the right direction and you'll notice a difference. But you want a significant difference given what you have today and what you are expecting from this team.

Hopefully things can get straightened out so by time AS weekend is over Sixers can look like a different team then than they do now. Spacing is needed no doubt and shooters can help open things up. But there are things that still wont be affected in a positive way or if at all with better shooting.

The problem is, that now in the NBA there are only a handful of shooters.

There are more than a handful of shooters in the NBA. Problem is who is available? And there you can say there are only a handful.

GOBB
12-13-2008, 06:57 PM
lol should have offered Josh Smith a contract. Elton Brand hasn't done squat for a team in 10 years.

And neither has Josh Smith. Josh Smith on the Sixers doesnt help.

Meticode
12-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Not surprised.

ppierce34
12-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Eh, never been a big Cheeks guy. Thought he had done an adequate job in his time in Philly. He had his issues, but this is a premature to me. Should have gotten a little more time to see if he could turn it around. Bigger problems with the team than Cheeks.

chocolatethunder
12-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Shooting isnt the only problem. Why many harp on it and for good reasons. There are a list of issues with the Sixers where if Sixers had shooters? Doesnt solve all those problems. Who on the Sixers gets to the line a significant amount of time? Who? Devin friggin Harris is getting to the line like an AI would. Who on the Sixers are causing/forcing turnovers? Team stinks there.

My point is its not like you add better shooters and see a vast improvement. You replace Iggy with a legit SG and you see a vast improvement. It would just be 1 maybe 2 steps in the right direction and you'll notice a difference. But you want a significant difference given what you have today and what you are expecting from this team.

Hopefully things can get straightened out so by time AS weekend is over Sixers can look like a different team then than they do now. Spacing is needed no doubt and shooters can help open things up. But there are things that still wont be affected in a positive way or if at all with better shooting.

There are more than a handful of shooters in the NBA. Problem is who is available? And there you can say there are only a handful.

Let me just clarify a couple of things. Legit shooters, there really aren't that many anymore. It's certainly not like the '80s into the mid '90s. The midrange jumpshot is a lost art. Shooters aren't as plentiful as they once were that's why Jason Kapono got a big contract. Not that he sucks, but I don't think he's any better than Steve Kerr was and Kerr never averaged even 9pts a game. So when I say shooters I guess I'm comparing people who are deemed shooters in the league today, that wouldn't have been considered as good in Kerr's day. There aren't many good shooters and there aren't any available because if a team has one, they usually hold on to him because of their scarcity.

Ok, more about the shooting. Yes you add better shooters and there will be an improvement. If you replace Iggy with a real shooter there will be an improvement. Why is no one getting to the line? There are no shooters. In a half court set, if you can't shoot your defender can sag off of you so you can't drive. In Iggy's case he can't dribble in the first place so when you add the fact that he can't shoot into the equation he is rendered useless. So yes shooting will add spacing to the floor which they desperately need. Without the shooting they can't get spacing so no one ca get to the line. So I agree with what you are saying but I think that their deficiency with getting to the line is directly related to their poor shooting. This can all be masked with swarming defense and fast breaks. The only problem is that this year they decided to be a half court team. It was obviously the wrong decision.

Day La Ghetto
12-13-2008, 07:36 PM
to bad mo wasnt the problem. there problem is theyre just not very talented. fans got teased with them winning late games last year with defense and thought wow maybe our team isnt as bad as we thought

fans were expecting the best from the team this year and thats it, the ABSOLUTE BEST, like if brand and andre were both gonna have all star years. guys like brand and andre havent consistenly played to there potential there whole careers, theyre like a bunch of rasheed wallaces, one night theyll bring it and the next wont, thats why they were the ultimate up and down team last year, 1 month they look like a lottery and so on. i lost track of there record but i guessing theyre a couple games under(havent payed attention since november). philly should go right back to what they were doing last season and play it like theyre in rebuilding mode because everybody acting like this is a win now team is clueless

Day La Ghetto
12-13-2008, 07:38 PM
sorry for the run on sentence, my 2nd grade teacher is rolling in her grave

GOBB
12-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Everyone wasnt thinking that. I wasnt. I already know last years teams vs what to expect this season.

Day La Ghetto
12-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Everyone wasnt thinking that. I wasnt. I already know last years teams vs what to expect this season.

media and people on here

they were thinking ElLTON BRAND!! mr 20-25ppg and 10rebs + andre who is finally a legit swingman = 45-50 wins automatic! might even contend for conference title!!

GOBB
12-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Let me just clarify a couple of things. Legit shooters, there really aren't that many anymore. It's certainly not like the '80s into the mid '90s. The midrange jumpshot is a lost art. Shooters aren't as plentiful as they once were that's why Jason Kapono got a big contract. Not that he sucks, but I don't think he's any better than Steve Kerr was and Kerr never averaged even 9pts a game. So when I say shooters I guess I'm comparing people who are deemed shooters in the league today, that wouldn't have been considered as good in Kerr's day. There aren't many good shooters and there aren't any available because if a team has one, they usually hold on to him because of their scarcity.

Gotcha.

Ok, more about the shooting. Yes you add better shooters and there will be an improvement. If you replace Iggy with a real shooter there will be an improvement. Why is no one getting to the line? There are no shooters. In a half court set, if you can't shoot your defender can sag off of you so you can't drive. In Iggy's case he can't dribble in the first place so when you add the fact that he can't shoot into the equation he is rendered useless. So yes shooting will add spacing to the floor which they desperately need. Without the shooting they can't get spacing so no one ca get to the line. So I agree with what you are saying but I think that their deficiency with getting to the line is directly related to their poor shooting.

Interesting point. I agree with it.

This can all be masked with swarming defense and fast breaks. The only problem is that this year they decided to be a half court team. It was obviously the wrong decision.

Yeah. And I think Elton Brand isnt playing much in the post, under the basket as I'd expected/want. He too should be getting to the FT line more than he has. And agree with the fast breaks. Even if a team scores they should quickly push the ball and create offense that way. Last year they did but also did so when forcing turnovers (which isnt happening much this yr).

I dont wanna come across as if I'm brushing off shooters, legit ones at that. Not at all. Been screaming for those all offseason. Heck Kareem Rush isnt great but I would have liked to have seen him get some steady minutes to gain some consistentcy/confidence into what he could have brung. Eh

One thing that is interesting with the selection of Tony as the interim HC? He pretty much had an hands on as far as scouting, evaluting the majority of this roster. He's apart of the building of this team. So what new voice/change will he bring? These are pretty much your guys and you envisioned something so see if you can bring it to light somewhat.

Also let Thaddeus Young get involved more. He's just out there

Now I'm really interested in the trades. This roster will be shaken up. Throw everyone on the table except Thaddeus Young and I'm leaning towards Speights but if its an established stud who instantly would help? Eh, sorry Speights. Brand you cant trade him. Just got him, big contract. But the rest?

Dangle and see whats being offered in return. We can do without Sammy Dalembert. Ah well. They better beat Wash new coach or not.

MasterKey68
12-13-2008, 08:07 PM
media and people on here

they were thinking ElLTON BRAND!! mr 20-25ppg and 10rebs + andre who is finally a legit swingman = 45-50 wins automatic! might even contend for conference title!!
So true. I got sick of listening to how good the 76ers were gonna be and how far they were gonna go in the playoffs. Now they might even not make the playoffs.

ppierce34
12-13-2008, 09:06 PM
We can do without Sammy Dalembert. Ah well

Flashback to when apparently the Suns offered Joe Johnson for Sam before they both signed their big contracts. Sam has given me constant headaches for years.

BlazersDozen
12-13-2008, 09:18 PM
I saw that the Assistant GM is taking over. Yeah, because thats gonna help. I really wish they had kept him. Sure, they're struggling, but you have Brand, who seems to be a curse if u want to win, and you have Igoudala who signed a contract and proceeded to play half as well as he did last year, same with Lou Williams. I really don't think the coach was the problem. Oh well.

That sounds just like Portland all over again. Kevin Pritchard was the assistant general manager when Mo Cheeks was fired here and Pritchard took over as head coach and did a better job than Cheeks did.

nicsman
12-14-2008, 08:05 AM
Pretty interesting video about the firing
http://www.libertyballers.com/2008/12/13/691587/steven-a-thinks-eddie-jord

Lebron23
12-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Great Quote from Coach Mike Brown after the Sixers fired Mo Cheeks.

''Mo is a good guy, it's an unfortunate part of the business but I said it before, not many guys are Jerry Sloan, Gregg Popovich or Phil Jackson,'' he said. ''If things don't work out, obviously one of the easiest spots to change is head coach. Mo deserves another job. Mo's going to get another job.''

QFT :applause: :applause: :applause:

Yossarian22
12-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Who do we want going forward?

Not overly impressed with Eddie Jordan. He's had plenty of talent and never capitalized on it (his performance was pitiful in 2006 against the Cavs).

I saw Jeff Van Gundy's name come up. However, he emphasizes a very slow, plodding offense with shooters centered around a big man (Knicks with Ewing, Rockets with Yao). We don't have the shooters (as someone pointed out), and Elton is the post threat that the others were. JVG is probably not the answer.

Assuming DiLeo does not work out, where else could we turn?

loot
12-14-2008, 05:52 PM
how would eddie jordan's princeton offense work out for the sixers? they dont have any shooters so i could imagine them shopping dre miller asap if eddie comes to town
still brand is not antwan, iggy is no butler... so they still wouldnt look too good running that

thoughts?

GOBB
12-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Shopping Andre Miller when he is a free agent at seasons end? lol

G-train
12-14-2008, 08:39 PM
I wish I could find the the thread where I predicted that the Sixers would be worse than last year and the Heat would be better than them. I had good reasoning that proved to be true. Posters, most notably GOBB, smashed me down.

hawkfan
12-14-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't know much about the interim guy, so maybe he is a good pick.

Otherwise, Eddie Jordan would be a good pick for the Sixers.

GOBB
12-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Its funny that the "I told ya so" crew comes out after 24gms.

12yr old kid "I thought there were 82gms in a season"

G-train
12-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Its funny that the "I told ya so" crew comes out after 24gms.

12yr old kid "I thought there were 82gms in a season"

My point to you is that you will be wrong about the Sixers now and in 82 games time, as my points will still be valid then. After 24 games it already becoming apparent.

I could bump after 10 games, 25 games, 60 games 82 games. I will still be right.

Relax and go back to the couch.

ucatchtrout
12-14-2008, 10:58 PM
That sounds just like Portland all over again. Kevin Pritchard was the assistant general manager when Mo Cheeks was fired here and Pritchard took over as head coach and did a better job than Cheeks did.

Hold on a second. KP is a terrific GM. But he didn't do all that well as a coach. They had decided it was a foregone conclusion that Cheeks would be fired at the end of the year. Instead of keeping him hanging around as a lame duck they cut him loose early. The Blazers were already out of the playoffs, so they put KP in charge of the team with the main objective of giving him a closer look at the players so he could better evaluate the talent that they had on the roster at that time.

Philly wants to go to the playoffs and do well.

So the objective is different.

You have to question them extending Cheeks contract twice and then giving him the quick hook. But there are probably some behind the scenes things here we don't know.

First off, Maurice is a great human being. A class individual. People in Portland loved the guy and will never forget him running out on the court to help a little girl sing the national anthem who had gotten nervous and forgotten the words.

However, he is a terrible coach. He admitted the team had only three plays when he coached the Blazers. No doubt his weaknesses were exposed in Philly and the Sixers decided it was time to pull the plug on Cheeks.

Wherever he goes whatever he does I wish him well.

GOBB
12-15-2008, 12:54 AM
My point to you is that you will be wrong about the Sixers now and in 82 games time, as my points will still be valid then. After 24 games it already becoming apparent.

O rly? Seemed like your point was proven as you implied in your post. Now you're moonwalkin. Typical. And who said Sixers would start off red hot? I said countless times while the addition of Brand was great alot of questions/concerns have to be answered over an 82gm season. Even if Sixers record was good and better than Miami? Nothing would change on my end. And if there were issues/problems dispite the winning record I would call it out.

This is nothing more than handing out trhe MVP award right now. :violin:

I could bump after 10 games, 25 games, 60 games 82 games. I will still be right.

Do it then. This oughta be good. I'm sure you've prepared your counter in case wins are transpired that regardless of the "record" they still arent "good" and you are still "right". You're whole agenda is see thru. Such a shame.

Relax and go back to the couch.

Same couch you're calling out predictions right? And premature "rights"? :oldlol:

Kids today.

GOBB
12-15-2008, 01:04 AM
To further add on last years team wasnt a 40 win team. They overachieved.

But somehow this team not only appears worse (tell me how last years team started out brain) they will prove that they are over an entire season. Ontop of Miami being better.

Sixers record after 24gms last year? 10-14. Go figure. Same as this yr.

But somehow the clown up above is right. Right about what? lol

Styles p
12-15-2008, 01:26 AM
i saw a thread on another sixers forum talking about sheed being on the market he would be the perfect fit at center.

Posterize246
12-15-2008, 01:28 AM
i saw a thread on another sixers forum talking about sheed being on the market he would be the perfect fit at center.
Only thing is they love his expirer, and a swap of Dalembert/Sheed wouldn't interest them. Neither would a swap in expirers (Miller for Sheed).

Pistons should try to get some value for him if they don't plan on resigning him but we've got nothing that would interest them.

Styles p
12-15-2008, 01:30 AM
Only thing is they love his expirer, and a swap of Dalembert/Sheed wouldn't interest them. Neither would a swap in expirers (Miller for Sheed).

Pistons should try to get some value for him if they don't plan on resigning him but we've got nothing that would interest them.

they lack a legit center. ahhh just wishful thinking on my part.

loot
12-15-2008, 02:09 AM
Shopping Andre Miller when he is a free agent at seasons end? lol
didnt know that. still, why not? bulls would gladly take on miller's expirer for hinrich + something for example

GOBB
12-15-2008, 05:38 PM
didnt know that. still, why not? bulls would gladly take on miller's expirer for hinrich + something for example

Kirk and Dre make the same amount so nothing extra would be needed. Not sure if Sixers want Kirk coming off injury with 3yrs roughly $27mil left. I dont mind the idea of moving Andre Miller but for who is my only concern.

Posterize246
01-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Sixers now 9-6 under DiLeo after taking over for Cheeks who was 9-14.

Sonic R
01-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Sixers now 9-6 under DiLeo after taking over for Cheeks who was 9-14.

With or without Elton Brand?

Maniak
01-14-2009, 11:09 PM

Yeah...Its kinda weird how well they do without Brand...

Styles p
01-14-2009, 11:09 PM

there 7-6 w/o brand.

Posterize246
01-14-2009, 11:16 PM
DiLeo's first 2 games he went 2-0 with Brand. Brand got hurt that 2nd game. They went 2-6 in the first 8 games without him, now have won 5 straight.

Sonic R
01-14-2009, 11:23 PM
How do you guys feel about Brand coming back?

Any concern that he could negativity impact the recent success?

Styles p
01-14-2009, 11:27 PM

no not really i am excited to see him back. him trailing on fast breaks and when we get shut down on the break he will be our half court offense. and now our guys have the confidence to knock down the kick out pass from brand.

Posterize246
01-14-2009, 11:31 PM

Brand was never a problem. Dalembert is the problem.

Styles p
01-14-2009, 11:33 PM

and our bench was ****ty at the time brand was healthy now our bench is playing great.

Sonic R
01-14-2009, 11:34 PM

True true