PDA

View Full Version : Kings Fire Reggie Theus; Kenny Natt named interim coach

bigkingsfan
12-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Update: The firing is official: http://www.insidehoops.com/kings-fire-theus-121508.shtml

Earlier:

The Sacramento Kings fired coach Reggie Theus on Monday morning, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

Assistant Kenny Natt was named interim coach and will coach the Kings on Monday night against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Theus’ top assistant, Chuck Person, was fired too.

Theus’ dismissal had been imminent. Sources say he had alienated not only his players, but general manager Geoff Petrie and the owners, Joe and Gavin Maloof.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AixjLEcSc557cyM1AOtZMzS8vLYF?slug=ys-theusfired121608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

What's the point, we're rebuilding anyways..

dnyk1337
12-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Great... Fire Rick Adelman for a poorer version of him in Eddie Jordan.

Interminator
12-15-2008, 02:22 PM
He needs to return to the college ranks,he could have much more success there preparing players for the NBA.

This exposure in the NBA will help him get a better job than New Mexico State.

blazerftc
12-15-2008, 02:26 PM
I guess they're totally starting over now. From the coach on down. Gonna be a long dreary ride...

hawkfan
12-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Question is whether Eddie Jordan will move west to Sacramento or head north to Philadelphia.

Or maybe the Kings will sign Avery Johnson.

SoCalMike
12-15-2008, 02:29 PM
is that coach number 7 fired already this season???

:pimp:

Showtime
12-15-2008, 03:02 PM
According to Yahoo sports Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AixjLEcSc557cyM1AOtZMzS8vLYF?slug=ys-theusfired121608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

DuMa
12-15-2008, 03:03 PM
whether if its true or not. its just stupid. i really expected better from the malouf brothers.

teams firing their coaches this early in the season is retarded. too many teams hitting the panic button

Showtime
12-15-2008, 03:06 PM
whether if its true or not. its just stupid. i really expected better from the malouf brothers.

teams firing their coaches this early in the season is retarded. too many teams hitting the panic button
It's not a panic button. Everybody knew the Kings were a lottery team this year, it's just they don't like the guy at all and want another coach.

Posterize246
12-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Kevin Martin has been injured for half (maybe a little more) of the season. They decided to trade Ron Artest for next to nothing. And it must be Reggie Theus' fault.

Showtime
12-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Kevin Martin has been injured for half (maybe a little more) of the season. They decided to trade Ron Artest for next to nothing. And it must be Reggie Theus' fault.
Again, it's not so much the record (because the team has been injured), but it's more to do with how he coached the youth during that time, and apparently the owners just don't like the guy. I hope they don't become like Al Davis; going from coach to coach, but they really screwed themselves when they fired Adelman.

KingJay718
12-15-2008, 03:22 PM
NBA coaches are an endangered species. This was a bad move. He didn't put this team together, and his key players missed games due to injury and suspension. Bad move.

johnk5150
12-15-2008, 03:24 PM
He's better off without those 12 losers. The Kings stink. I still can't believe they beat the Lakers.

Posterize246
12-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Stefanski shot down the Eddie Jordan/Philly rumors saying "he hasn't contacted anyone outside of the organization and Tony Dileo is the coach for the remainder of the season."

That was just Stephen A Smith talking out of his ass. No wonder the Philadelphia Inquirer didn't want him anymore.

crounsa810
12-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Hmmm, I believe I said this was gonna be the next coach to go when Mo was fired? Next is Iavaroni, then Dunleavy

Darius
12-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Weird - what is he supposed to do with the injuries/talent he has?

Sadly, the Clippers have the same number of wins with far more talent and Dunleavy remains untouchable.

Showtime
12-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Weird - what is he supposed to do with the injuries/talent he has?
Uh, develop the youth. He's had inconsistent rotations the entire season. I've never heard of a lottery squad in a rebuilding phase that DOESN'T commit to playing the youth.

Big Money Mike
12-15-2008, 11:57 PM
What did Theus do wrong?

Brad Miller was out the first week for smoking grass

Kevin Martin has been hurt all season long

Francisco Garcia just played his first game 2-3 games ago

wtf?

I thought Theus was doing a good job, and it doesn't make sense to me that he was fired.

crounsa810
12-15-2008, 11:59 PM
They want to be like everyone else.

OneMoreSucka
12-15-2008, 11:59 PM
It's just going with the trend. Guaranteed if the other coaches weren't fired, he would be fine.

MMM
12-16-2008, 12:03 AM
what i don't get is what little time he got only a month into his 2nd season and he gets the axe. Something is wrong with that the kings knew when they hired him that rebuilding this team would take time a coaching change makes zero diference

starface
12-16-2008, 12:05 AM
i think this is a pretty egregious firing as well. they weren't bad last year, they probably could have made the playoffs if they werent in the west. they were depleted to start this year. this is only, what, his 3rd year? gimme a break. garbage firing.

Styles p
12-16-2008, 12:10 AM
they need to fire there whole roster.

Big Money Mike
12-16-2008, 12:10 AM
i think this is a pretty egregious firing as well. they weren't bad last year, they probably could have made the playoffs if they werent in the west. they were depleted to start this year. this is only, what, his 3rd year? gimme a break. garbage firing.

exactly!

pure garbage.

whoever gets the job is gonna have a nice group of players to work with.

yobore
12-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Probably firing to pick up one of the fired coaches they like even better

SoCalMike
12-16-2008, 12:21 AM
i am not going to defend either situation, but we really don't know Theus's relationship with his GM/Owners. same holds true for all of the firings this season. i would tend to agree that Theus did not have enough time to do anything, but who knows how he got along with team management?

some of the firings have shocked me because how the heck could some of these newer coaches have any influence on team in so little time... regardless, they are the first to go.

:pimp:

LA_Showtime
12-16-2008, 12:29 AM
I've always thought of the Sacramento Kings as well coached. Maybe that's because i'm a Laker fan and they own us this year..

Showtime
12-16-2008, 12:32 AM
What did Theus do wrong?

Brad Miller was out the first week for smoking grass

Kevin Martin has been hurt all season long

Francisco Garcia just played his first game 2-3 games ago

wtf?

I thought Theus was doing a good job, and it doesn't make sense to me that he was fired.
1. Why don't you ask this in the existing Theus threads?

2. Has it ever occurred to you that it may not just come down to the win-loss record?

Big Money Mike
12-16-2008, 12:36 AM
1. Why don't you ask this in the existing Theus threads?

2. Has it ever occurred to you that it may not just come down to the win-loss record?

1. Stop crying.

2. Kleenex are on aisle 5 if you are still crying.

kobelamarjackson
12-16-2008, 12:44 AM
i think theus did a fine job in sactown. he has been all year without his best player in kevin martin. the team trades mike bibby last season, ron artest this season, and without francisco garcia for a while as well. for the players he had, i think he did a fantastic job. the kings come out and play everynight. the hustle is there, the work ethic is there (i mean from what i watch it seems to be). what more could you ask of a coach who just doesnt have the resources to manifest a winning team? if i were the owner, i would be pleased my coach is getting out of the players what he had been getting out. my leading scorers are john salmons and beno udrih, and im competitive. **** let me get you a raise reggie theus!

Showtime
12-16-2008, 12:51 AM
1. Stop crying.

I'm not crying. I'm asking a question, which is why post a THREAD for a thought that should be a POST in the already existing thread about this exact same topic. This forum is already too clogged up with crap. This thread should come with a plunger.

2. Kleenex are on aisle 5 if you are still crying.
Listen you moron, YOU posted the topic in which you asked questions. Did it ever occur to you that the premise of your assumption on the situation might not be accurate, which resulted in you asking questions because you can't understand? It seems your opinion was about wins and losses, based upon your comments about the injured players. MAYBE HE WASN'T FIRED BECAUSE HE LOST GAMES YOU BRAINLESS CUR. That was my point, but instead of accepting that maybe Theus wasn't developing the youth consistently, or that possibly he just wasn't liked by the Maloofs, or that possibly they didn't like HOW he was losing games, you get all ass hurt and make smart ass comments. If you can't handle a simple point that maybe you are looking at things from the wrong angle, then DON'T post a topic on a forum asking others for THEIR opinion jackass.

w00terz
12-16-2008, 01:39 AM
I noticed Showtime is getting into another argument with another poster (what a surprise :rolleyes: ).

This brings up the total number of fired coaches to what, 7? Insane. Theus did a good job in Sac-town with the talent he had. It isn't his fault the team he has to work with is both injured and crappy.

dleave
12-16-2008, 08:17 AM
As a Kings fan, I completely disagree with the idea that he was fired because his players hated him. I think they all played very hard for him, and the youngsters, in particular Hawes, have shown a good deal of improvement...which should be attributed to the coach.

This was either the Maloofs thinking they should be winning more, or just a coach/owner conflict...definately not coach/player conflict though.

jbot
12-16-2008, 09:48 AM
wow, this is getting ridiculous. they'll probably all end up just swapping coaches. too bad the rifleman got canned. we'll take him back in indiana.