Posterize246
12-23-2008, 12:20 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/image/2007/11/21/op4t-3111.jpg

Name: Jonny Flynn
Position: Point Guard
Size: 6'0" 185
School: Syracuse (Sophomore)
2008 Stats: 18.1 ppg, 4.9 apg, 1.9 spg, 53.5 fg%, 38.6 3fg%
Accomplishments: New York Mr. Basketball, 3rd ranked pg out of the 2007 high school class (behind only Derrick Rose and Jerryd Bayless), 2007 McDonald's All-American, Big East Freshman of the Year, All Big East freshman Team, 3rd team freshman all-America, Most points by a Syracuse player in freshman debut (previously held by Carmelo Anthony), Member of 2006 USA Men's U18 National Team, Member of 2007 Men's U19 National Team

I watch a lot of college ball (check the forum) and this is no knock on Jennings and Rubio as I feel both of them will be great, but Flynn is the best of the 3.

Offense: Takes very high percentage shots. Likes the 3 ball and has made NBA distance 3s with ease during college games. Penetrates and gets to the basket without a problem. Ballhandling is top notch. Great court vision delivering the ball to his teammates at the right time. Finishes with the big boys in the paint despite being small.

Defense: Flynn gets right up in the chest of his defender. He pushes the opposing ball handler to center court game after game and dares them to go further. Gets into the passing lanes as his 2 steals per game show.

Athleticism: That boy got springs. Possibly the fastest pg in the nation, if not then definately fastest that will be in '09 draft.

Clutch: Game winning 3 pointer vs. St. Joeseph's, 3 pointer to tie the game at the buzzer vs. Kansas, always wants to take the game wining shot.

Character traits: For anyone concerned about attitutes and such....Was member of the National Honor Society at Niagara Falls High School, son of a pastor (hey it's gotta count for something, right? :oldlol:), great with the media

Negatives: Only 6'0". May measure 5'11" without shoes at the draft. But so did DJ Augustin. Finishes strong among the big bodies for his size though.

And now for the highlights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnuyhezE-78&feature=related (Shows his quickness, passing/court vision, and 3 point range)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWVG15WurR4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib6QeSQ2BT8 (Sick pass, watch in high quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnuyhezE-78&feature=related

Grinder
12-23-2008, 12:23 AM
I like Johnny Flynn, but I'd take Harden, Rubio (won't declare), and Patrick Mills over him as far as guards go.

I think he's got star potential though, he plays with a lot of fire and has shown to be clutch. I would definitely take him if I was a lottery team.

Posterize246
12-23-2008, 12:25 AM
I like Johnny Flynn, but I'd take Harden, Jennings, Rubio (won't declare), and Patrick Mills over him as far as guards go.

I think he's got star potential though, he plays with a lot of fire and has shown to be clutch.
I would take Harden too, but I'm just going as far as pg's as Rubio and Jennings are rated at the top right now at the position. Mills is good, I like Flynn more though.

w00terz
12-23-2008, 12:59 AM
Flynn reminds me of Rodney Stuckey a little bit. Looks promising but of course I don't follow college basketball so I have no idea how good he is.

Posterize246
12-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Flynn reminds me of Rodney Stuckey a little bit. Looks promising but of course I don't follow college basketball so I have no idea how good he is.
Stuckey has a lot more size. Flynn is more of a point than Stuckey.

If I had to compare Flynn 2 one player I guess I'd go Baron Davis (less bulk). But I really don't like to make player comparisons like that because you'll never find 2 exactly alike.

RoseCity07
12-23-2008, 01:04 AM
Sad thing is that this kid will probably be drafted before he can play 4 years in college. I don't know much about this guy but a solid 4 years in college would really help his game.

Posterize246
12-23-2008, 01:06 AM
Sad thing is that this kid will probably be drafted before he can play 4 years in college. I don't know much about this guy but a solid 4 years in college would really help his game.
As it would anyone. I would recommend 3+ years of college to any player. Point I'm trying to get across: Rubio/Jennings are getting more hype than a player who's better than them playing right here on our home grounds.

Grinder
12-23-2008, 01:15 AM

If I had to compare Flynn 2 one player I guess I'd go Baron Davis (less bulk). But I really don't like to make player comparisons like that because you'll never find 2 exactly alike.

Ha, Baron Davis is the first person that came to my mind as well. A shorter, less bulky B-Diddy.

w00terz
12-23-2008, 01:15 AM

True. He does look like he has a similar style of play.

Posterize246
12-23-2008, 01:18 AM
Just another interesting stat:

Flynn was co-freshman of the year in the Big East, getting the award over fellow teammate Donte Green (28th pick of '08 draft).

Also, Flynn's conditioning is top notch as he averaged 39.2 mpg in conference play (college games are 40 mpg) which was 4th in the nation.

CelticForce1349
12-23-2008, 01:23 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/image/2007/11/21/op4t-3111.jpg

Name: Jonny Flynn
Position: Point Guard
Size: 6'0" 185
School: Syracuse (Sophomore)
2008 Stats: 18.1 ppg, 4.9 apg, 1.9 spg, 53.5 fg%, 38.6 3fg%
Accomplishments: New York Mr. Basketball, 3rd ranked pg out of the 2007 high school class (behind only Derrick Rose and Jerryd Bayless), 2007 McDonald's All-American, Big East Freshman of the Year, All Big East freshman Team, 3rd team freshman all-America, Most points by a Syracuse player in freshman debut (previously held by Carmelo Anthony), Member of 2006 USA Men's U18 National Team, Member of 2007 Men's U19 National Team

I watch a lot of college ball (check the forum) and this is no knock on Jennings and Rubio as I feel both of them will be great, but Flynn is the best of the 3.

Offense: Takes very high percentage shots. Likes the 3 ball and has makes NBA distance 3s with ease during college games. Penetrates and gets to the basket without a problem. Ballhandling is top notch. Great court vision delivering the ball to his teammates at the right time. Finishes with the big boys in the paint despite being small.

Defense: Flynn gets right up in the chest of his defender. He pushes the opposing ball handler to center court game after game and dares them to go further. Gets into the passing lanes as his 2 steals per game show.

Athleticism: That boy got springs. Possibly the fastest pg in the nation, if not then definately fastest that will be in '09 draft.

Clutch: Game winning 3 pointer vs. St. Joeseph's, 3 pointer to tie the game at the buzzer vs. Kansas, always wants to take the game wining shot.

Character traits: For anyone concerned about attitutes and such....Was member of the National Honor Society at Niagara Falls High School, son of a pastor (hey it's gotta count for something, right? :oldlol:), great with the media

Negatives: Only 6'0". May measure 5'11" without shoes at the draft. But so did DJ Augustin. Finishes strong among the big bodies for his size though.

And now for the highlights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnuyhezE-78&feature=related (Shows his quickness, passing/court vision, and 3 point range)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWVG15WurR4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib6QeSQ2BT8 (Sick pass, watch in high quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnuyhezE-78&feature=related

Agreed. :cheers: Flynn is my favorite point guard not in the NBA yet.

BTW, Andy Rautins tonight hitting 9 treys! For those that made their way to the Dome with over two feet of snow on the ground it was all worth it.

Posterize246
12-23-2008, 01:25 AM
Agreed. :cheers: Flynn is my favorite point guard not in the NBA yet.

BTW, Andy Rautins tonight hitting 9 treys! For those that made their way to the Dome with over two feet of snow on the ground it was all worth it.
Yeah I saw that box score. Rautins went off. Flynn with 10 assists. :cheers:

hito da god
12-23-2008, 01:37 AM
man flynn and paul harris are amazing. they were a hell of a duo back in high school.

Posterize246
12-23-2008, 01:42 AM
more Flynn highlights...

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?brand=null&videoId=3784321&n8pe6c=2 (takes over the game vs. Memphis, watch how easily he blows by defenders)

http://video.aol.com/partner/cbs/a-new-passion-for-jonny-flynn/txxSqtj0KLrMFkEmNsaOV6wqGvN0YRnF ("ping pong is my everything":oldlol: ) that competitveness!

http://syracuse.fandome.com/video/106849/Syracuse-Shocks-Kansas-In-OT-89-81/ (shows off the hops and clutch 3 to tie the game at the buzzer to send to OT)

Grinder
12-23-2008, 01:45 AM
Johnny Flynn and Manny Harris - two of the most underrated [sophomore] players in the NCAA. Love watching both of these guys play, whoever picks them up in the draft will be in for a pleasant NBA ready surprise.

JJ81
12-23-2008, 01:57 AM
Rubio 100%, so much maturity for someone his age. He started his pro career in Spain when he was 15. He could lead an NBA team already.

bdreason
12-23-2008, 03:28 AM
I watched this guy play the other day. He was impressive.... but puting him on Baron Davis's level of explosiveness is a little much.

I think they did say he was playing hurt though?

I didn't watch him much his freshman year, as it seems Syracuse is getting less and less national exposure since they have been visiting the NIT the past few years.

baseketball4life
12-23-2008, 05:28 AM
I would take Jennings over Flynn, but I love Flynn. Height is overrated.

Da KO King
12-23-2008, 05:37 AM
Only reason Flynn won't be a lottery pick is because he's probably going to measure at 5'10" when he hits the predraft camp. If he was a legit 6'2" he'd be the first PG taken this coming draft.

CelticForce1349
12-23-2008, 06:32 AM
Only reason Flynn won't be a lottery pick is because he's probably going to measure at 5'10" when he hits the predraft camp. If he was a legit 6'2" he'd be the first PG taken this coming draft.

I have stood next to Flynn, (spare me the "pics or it didn't happen" routine) and since I am nearly 6ft3 ( certainly 6ft2 or taller) Flynn can't be any less than 6ft to my eyes. He might be as tall as 6ft 1.

Just for the record the guy is very likable as a person. Flynn is friendly, unassuming, and a little bit of a joker, he seems to genuinely like to make people laugh. Good kid all the way, and a ton of talent too. :bowdown:

w00terz
12-23-2008, 06:39 AM
I have stood next to Flynn, (spare me the "pics or it didn't happen" routine) and since I am nearly 6ft3 ( certainly 6ft2 or taller) Flynn can't be any less than 6ft to my eyes. He might be as tall as 6ft 1.

Just for the record the guy is very likable as a person. Flynn is friendly, unassuming, and a little bit of a joker, he seems to genuinely like to make people laugh. Good kid all the way, and a ton of talent too. :bowdown:

Pics or it didn't happen.

baseketball4life
12-23-2008, 06:50 AM
of course, if he was 6'2 he'd be #1 overall arguably, so gay how they look so much into height.

20 Dimes A Game
12-23-2008, 06:53 AM

Yeah maybe but the reason Stuckey has been effective is due to his size.

pethuel03
12-23-2008, 08:12 AM
His form is (imo) raw

Posterize246
12-23-2008, 08:45 AM
I think he'll be one of those 5'11" barefoot guys like Augustin was this year.

What separates Flynn is his defense. He really gets low in his stance and doesn't let his man get by him. You HAVE to set screens on him.

Right now he's probably in the 15-20 range in the first round (Da ko king might know more). And yes if he was 6'2" he'd be in the Rubio/Jennings "top pg in the draft" discussion.

Funny how scouts think you need to be 6'2 to defend NBA pg's and he's the best defender of the 3.

Mr_Basketball#1
12-23-2008, 10:16 AM
I'd take Ty Lawson and Patrick Mills over Flynn, maybe even Calathes.

Interminator
12-23-2008, 10:18 AM
I think he'll be one of those 5'11" barefoot guys like Augustin was this year.

What separates Flynn is his defense. He really gets low in his stance and doesn't let his man get by him. You HAVE to set screens on him.

Right now he's probably in the 15-20 range in the first round (Da ko king might know more). And yes if he was 6'2" he'd be in the Rubio/Jennings "top pg in the draft" discussion.

Funny how scouts think you need to be 6'2 to defend NBA pg's and he's the best defender of the 3.
I agree.

kidachi
12-23-2008, 10:21 AM
I would take Jonny Flynn over both Rubio and Jennings

then you're screwed

Godfather
12-23-2008, 11:05 AM
I love watching this kid play, he has so much poise. Even now I would still take Jennings because if he managed to fill out just a little bit he would be very hard to stop defensively. I would take Flynn over Rubio however simply because I don't see Rubio's game translating well to the NBA.

Posterize246
12-23-2008, 12:06 PM
then you're screwed
For some reason I doubt you've watched all 3 play away from highlights. Not trying to start something against you, but not many people have.

What's something that Rubio/Jennings are CLEARLY better at than Flynn? I'd give Jennings the athleticism advantage but as far as talent there isn't 1 aspect of their game that's clearly better.

Efunk7
12-23-2008, 07:37 PM
love this kid's game...great competitor, great defender, and making good decisions so far at the point on offense...they seem to be running smoother w/o donte greene...

eprizzle14
12-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Hmmm hes solid but im not sure i see what you guys see in this kid.

lilojmayo
12-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Hmmm hes solid but im not sure i see what you guys see in this kid.

please please

Brandon Jennings at Arizona the dude would be a team cancer averaging about 30ppg a game dont compare this scrub to jennings

Da KO King
12-23-2008, 09:21 PM
please please

Brandon Jennings at Arizona the dude would be a team cancer averaging about 30ppg a game dont compare this scrub to jennings
Jonny Flynn is better than Brandon Jennings at every facet of the game.

Posterize246
12-24-2008, 12:28 AM
I've got backup in Da KO King! :cheers:

Here's how I break it down between the 3...

Handles
Flynn
Jennings
Rubio

Shooting
Flynn
Jennings
Rubio

Court Vision
Rubio
Flynn
Jennings

Athleticism
Jennings
Flynn
Rubio

Dribble Penetration
Flynn
Jennings
Rubio

Defense
Flynn

Jennings
Rubio

Da KO King
12-25-2008, 02:48 AM

Athleticism
Jennings
Flynn
Rubio

Honestly I can't even give Brandon Jennings a clear advantage in athleticism. Jonny Flynn is stronger in both the upper and lower body while being in the same class as Jennings in terms of speed and quickness.

brandonislegend
12-25-2008, 02:51 AM

Handles
Flynn
Jennings
Rubio

Shooting
Flynn
Jennings
Rubio

Court Vision
Rubio
Flynn
Jennings

Athleticism
Jennings
Flynn
Rubio

Dribble Penetration
Flynn
Jennings
Rubio

Defense
Flynn

Jennings
Rubio

you cant be serious.

if jennings was at arizona, he would be dropping 25-32 a game...did you see what he AVGED in high school he has so many team records and look who went to his high school.

Posterize246
12-25-2008, 02:55 PM
you cant be serious.

if jennings was at arizona, he would be dropping 25-32 a game...did you see what he AVGED in high school he has so many team records and look who went to his high school.
you just proved yourself to be an idiot. only 3 players in college ball this year are averaging 25+ ppg, and none of them play for a school in a power conference like Arizona.

who cares what he would average? Derrick Rose averaged 15 ppg, Michael Beasley averaged 26 ppg. which one would you take? :confusedshrug:

ppg has nothing to do with who is the better player

Posterize246
12-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Honestly I can't even give Brandon Jennings a clear advantage in athleticism. Jonny Flynn is stronger in both the upper and lower body while being in the same class as Jennings in terms of speed and quickness.
Speed and quickness I'd say they're the same. Jennings just has the advantage in leaping ability, so I give it to him.

Grinder
12-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Defense - Rubio is last???

Come on dude, defense is arguably the best part of Rubio's game. As a 16 year old he was averaging 3.2 steals per game in only 18 minutes of play.

Rubio's handles are better than Jenning as well, he took him off the dribble with pretty much one hand easily in the few minutes they were against each and other and then forced Jennings into a few turnovers.

Other than that, looks pretty good.

Da KO King
12-25-2008, 04:00 PM
you cant be serious.

Normally his single season scoring record would be impressive but the weakness of Oakhill's guard lineup last season takes away from that feat.

Posterize246
12-25-2008, 04:24 PM

Come on dude, defense is arguably the best part of Rubio's game. As a 16 year old he was averaging 3.2 steals per game in only 18 minutes of play.

Rubio's handles are better than Jenning as well, he took him off the dribble with pretty much one hand easily in the few minutes they were against each and other and then forced Jennings into a few turnovers.

You could switch Rubio/Jennings on defense. Either way I wouldn't say you were wrong. I'd put Jennings handles above Rubio. But something like decision making Rubio would have the advantage in. As in Jennings handles are better but Jennings has the potential to be turnover prone, whereas Rubio will make better decisions and have limited turnovers.

Mr_Basketball#1
12-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Averaging 3 steals don't make you a great defender.

lilojmayo
12-25-2008, 06:19 PM
you just proved yourself to be an idiot. only 3 players in college ball this year are averaging 25+ ppg, and none of them play for a school in a power conference like Arizona.

who cares what he would average? Derrick Rose averaged 15 ppg, Michael Beasley averaged 26 ppg. which one would you take? :confusedshrug:

ppg has nothing to do with who is the better player

you dont understand you have never watched Jennings then this dude in a college would seriously average like

30pts 8assist like a stephen curry type of volume shooter.

Jennings really should have played NCAA found a way to play get his grades up

he has a heck of an experience in italy for a million
but this guy would be torching college players honestly right now.

Posterize246
12-25-2008, 06:53 PM
you dont understand you have never watched Jennings then this dude in a college would seriously average like

I've watched a lot of Jennings and believe me, I'm impressed. He's going to be a star in the league.

But saying he would average 30/8 is bull****. Does he have the capability of averaging 30 a game in college? Possibly, if he jacked up enough shots. Beasley and Mayo could have last year if they had jacked up enough shots.

This thread wasn't intended to put down Rubio and Jennings. I believe both have all-star futures ahead of them. But give me Flynn.

lilojmayo
12-25-2008, 07:40 PM

:ohwell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJpqtynQOAM

Posterize246
12-25-2008, 07:47 PM

that's why he said he wouldn't give him a clear advantage, saying they're in the same class as far as speed and quickness. never said anything about hops.

basketballdude
12-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Jonny Flynn isn't that good. He's a chucker who makes a lot of mistakes. Rubio or Jennings anyday.

Posterize246
12-25-2008, 08:40 PM
But a point guard averaging 36 ppg in high school isn't a chucker. Right. :rolleyes:

Flynn averages only 10 shots per game, making over 51% of them. Explain how he's a chucker.

Da KO King
12-26-2008, 01:54 PM

Was that video supposed to prove a point of some kind, because if so I certainly missed it.

Also, you really need to re-evaluate your ability to breakdown college hoops based on your opinion on what Brandon Jennings "would" have done at Arizona.

As was mentioned earlier, 30 point scorers in college are rare and it never pretty much happens within big time conferences and programs. So to suggest it would happen at Arizona, where guys that average 15 or more shots per game don't exist, is ridiculous. The fact that you also think Jennings would do it splitting time with Nic Wise at PG and shots with Chase Budinger and Jordan Hill just adds to the insanity.

Posterize246
12-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Was that video supposed to prove a point of some kind, because if so I certainly missed it.

Also, you really need to re-evaluate your ability to breakdown college hoops based on your opinion on what Brandon Jennings "would" have done at Arizona.

As was mentioned earlier, 30 point scorers in college are rare and it never pretty much happens within big time conferences and programs. So to suggest it would happen at Arizona, where guys that average 15 or more shots per game don't exist, is ridiculous. The fact that you also think Jennings would do it splitting time with Nic Wise at PG and shots with Chase Budinger and Jordan Hill just adds to the insanity.
this

Posterize246
12-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Just checkin stats but..

Brandon Jennings is shooting 13% (4-29) from 3 this year. And that's not an NBA 3 either.

Rubio's 4.7 apg in 11 mpg are damn impressive, though only through 3 games.

brandonislegend
12-27-2008, 03:48 PM
you cant honestly think flynn has a better handle than jennings...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWX0ufGTHtE

1:05...and watch his prospect videos...

Da KO King
12-27-2008, 04:12 PM
you cant honestly think flynn has a better handle than jennings...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWX0ufGTHtE

1:05...and watch his prospect videos...
Yes let's judge the handle ability of two players based on one player's AAU and high school highlights. :rolleyes:

Posterize246
12-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Syracuse has a ****load of national tv games coming up...

Jan 2
Jan 14
Jan 17
Jan 19
Feb 4
Feb 7
Feb 11
Feb 14
Feb 22

And Flynn will light the Garden on fire. Guarenteed.

Posterize246
01-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Flynn just finished the game with a sick windmill as time ran out. Young boy got ups.

GOBB
01-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Cool thread Posterize. I'm onboard with you. Hope Sixers get lucky and draft him.

Posterize246
01-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Cool thread Posterize. I'm onboard with you. Hope Sixers get lucky and draft him.
Could you see Flynn running the pick n' roll with SPEIGHTS?
:banana:

Mr_Basketball#1
01-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Philly wouldn't even need a point guard if they had kept you know who. :ohwell:

Posterize246
01-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Philly wouldn't even need a point guard if they had kept you know who. :ohwell:
Yeah...

but Eric Snow has had injury problems as of late

Bibby4Three
01-03-2009, 12:03 AM
I played him in High School. I was a sophmore (I am a senior now) and he was a Senior. Simply amazing haha! My favorite and I can not wait to follow his NBA career.

Posterize246
01-03-2009, 12:10 AM
I played him in High School. I was a sophmore (I am a senior now) and he was a Senior. Simply amazing haha! My favorite and I can not wait to follow his NBA career.
Niagara Falls HS :rockon:

Bibby4Three
01-03-2009, 12:16 AM
Niagara Falls HS :rockon:

Yup, Paul Harris went there too but I missed playing him by a few years.

Lakas Fan Yo
01-03-2009, 12:43 AM

I'm not saying Rubio isn't a good defender because he is. But this whole steals in the Euroleague thing is nonsense. I watch this guy play and he gets some kind of bizarre special treatment in Europe that no other player gets on defense. He is allowed to literally mug the offensive player basically all game long and hardly gets called for fouls. Other players can only play like he does all game long maybe once or two possessions before they get whistled for the foul - even well establish stars that are much better than him at the current moment.

Even in FIBA tournaments Rubio seems to get this special treatment. His defense is basically mugging the other team and getting preferential treatment from the refs for whatever reason (maybe because he's physically outmatched by the men he plays against so the refs let him do it since he is really still a kid?)

Anyway, when you combine that with the fact that the NBA doesn't allow hand checking I don't see his current defensive game translating well at all to the NBA. If he was just reffed the same as other Euroleague guards are he would not even be mentioned for his defense. But everyone is like "he averaged 3 assists in his rookie Euroleague year!"

I'm saying it straight out, he is getting very biased reffing and without it and without being able to hand check in the NBA his defense will take a big hit, at least initially. But he's very aggressive on D and he's got great ball instincts and very quick hands so the talent is there on D, but those steals stats are big time inflated IMHO.

Lakas Fan Yo
01-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Just checkin stats but..

Brandon Jennings is shooting 13% (4-29) from 3 this year. And that's not an NBA 3 either.

Rubio's 4.7 apg in 11 mpg are damn impressive, though only through 3 games.

The more and more I follow the Euroleague the more I learn about the many plethora of myths American b-ball fans have about the game over there. This is one of them - that it is easier to shoot 3's over there because the line is closer. And I think most US fans really believe that and take off 5-10 percent of a guy's percentage to "translate" it to an NBA shooting percentage.

The problem with all of that is that if you actually watch enough of the games you would see that the perimeter defense at the 3 point line in the Euroleague is about 3 times better than it is in the NBA. I mean teams REALLY contest shots over there, in a way that NBA clubs just don't. Granted, when I say Euroleague teams I don't include the Spanish ones in that because they don't play the same defense (but the majority of Euroleague teams are playing tough D especially the Russian club and the Greek clubs). That's one of the reasons I think people are confused by Rubio's play in "the best league in Europe" as everyone keeps calling it in that ACB of Spain. But without a doubt the Euroleague defense is seriously superior to defense in the ACB league.

I actually think it's harder to shoot the 3 over there than it is in the NBA. In fact the line being closer just makes it even that much harder. If you see the games you can see often players are closing out on the 3 well. Players are often bigger, more athletic in some cases and just about always more disciplined and trained in team defense than NCAA players and they are able to close out on the shorter line, unlike in the NBA where it the line is further out and it makes it harder to do so.

The average US fan thinks the opposite, that it's harder for Euro players to shoot 3s in the NBA because "the defenders are all bigger and more athletic". Well that may be true certainly for NCAA players but it's not so for Euroleague ones. Jennings is playing against some serious team defenses and team defensive tactics and strategies over there. It's literally amazing seeing how tough the D is that some teams over there play and the American side of basketball fans just about all believe they play no defense in the Euroelague.

Basically what I am saying is Jennings certainly needs to work on his outside jump shot without a doubt, but he is seeing perimeter D that is leaps and bounds above what anyone in the NCAA sees.

Da KO King
01-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah...

but Eric Snow has had injury problems as of late
:oldlol: Well played...

Posterize246
01-03-2009, 01:26 AM
The more and more I follow the Euroleague the more I learn about the many plethora of myths American b-ball fans have about the game over there. This is one of them - that it is easier to shoot 3's over there because the line is closer. And I think most US fans really believe that and take off 5-10 percent of a guy's percentage to "translate" it to an NBA shooting percentage.

The problem with all of that is that if you actually watch enough of the games you would see that the perimeter defense at the 3 point line in the Euroleague is about 3 times better than it is in the NBA. I mean teams REALLY contest shots over there, in a way that NBA clubs just don't. Granted, when I say Euroleague teams I don't include the Spanish ones in that because they don't play the same defense (but the majority of Euroleague teams are playing tough D especially the Russian club and the Greek clubs). That's one of the reasons I think people are confused by Rubio's play in "the best league in Europe" as everyone keeps calling it in that ACB of Spain. But without a doubt the Euroleague defense is seriously superior to defense in the ACB league.

I actually think it's harder to shoot the 3 over there than it is in the NBA. In fact the line being closer just makes it even that much harder. If you see the games you can see often players are closing out on the 3 well. Players are often bigger, more athletic in some cases and just about always more disciplined and trained in team defense than NCAA players and they are able to close out on the shorter line, unlike in the NBA where it the line is further out and it makes it harder to do so.

The average US fan thinks the opposite, that it's harder for Euro players to shoot 3s in the NBA because "the defenders are all bigger and more athletic". Well that may be true certainly for NCAA players but it's not so for Euroleague ones. Jennings is playing against some serious team defenses and team defensive tactics and strategies over there. It's literally amazing seeing how tough the D is that some teams over there play and the American side of basketball fans just about all believe they play no defense in the Euroelague.

Basically what I am saying is Jennings certainly needs to work on his outside jump shot without a doubt, but he is seeing perimeter D that is leaps and bounds above what anyone in the NCAA sees.
That isn't what I was getting at. I see where you're going, it's a very good post.

But I was more showing that Flynn is shooting over 37% from 3 (the college line is 20 feet 9 inches) while Jennings is shooting 13% from 3 (the international line is 20 feet 6 inches). The 3 inches really don't matter, I think I was more trying to get at...

WHY THE **** IS JENNINGS SHOOTING SO MANY 3S WHEN IT'S OBVIOUS HE'S NOT MAKING THEM
:D

Posterize246
01-03-2009, 01:28 AM
I hate Chad Ford but...

He has Jonny Flynn #1 on his 2009 "Draft Sleepers"

Mr_Basketball#1
01-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Just watched the Florida/NC State game and I'm sorry but Calathes>>>>>Flynn

On top of him being taller at 6'6, he is a better playmaker and better shooter. Flynn is more athletic and quicker, but if we're talking better NBA point guard prospect, Calathes wins.

Godfather
01-03-2009, 07:34 PM

On top of him being taller at 6'6, he is a better playmaker and better shooter. Flynn is more athletic and quicker, but if we're talking better NBA point guard prospect, Calathes wins.
:oldlol:

How many 6'6''+ point guards have you seen succeed in the NBA?...

I know you thought LeBron would go to the team Curry got drafted to, but jeez making such a statement after viewing one game is retarded.

Mr_Basketball#1
01-03-2009, 07:37 PM
:oldlol:

How many 6'6''+ point guards have you seen succeed in the NBA?...

I know you thought LeBron would go to the team Curry got drafted to, but jeez making such a statement after viewing one game is retarded.
IF you read a couple of my posts you would have know I've been saying this dumbass. I think I even mentioned it in this thread before a couple pages back.

EDIT: And I didn't say Bron would go to the team Curry went to. I said it could influence his decision stop twisting my words.

Godfather
01-03-2009, 07:46 PM
IF you read a couple of my posts you would have know I've been saying this dumbass.
:roll:

This has to be a joke. A semi athletic (is barely quicker than a turtle), set shot shooting, oversized, sub par defender (quicker players kill him), point guard is better than Brandon Jennings, Jonny Flynn, and Ricky Robio...

Please...

This guy is too much of a tweener to make a serious impact on the NBA. He isn't quick enough to compete with opposing PG's and isn't strong enough or get enough height on his jumper to succeed at the SG position either.

edit: You said there was a good chance...Which is a complete fail considering Curry is a glorified volume shooter who fill have problems finding his shot in the NBA.

Mr_Basketball#1
01-03-2009, 07:49 PM
There you go again. I said I'd take Calathes over Flynn.

Godfather
01-03-2009, 07:50 PM
There you go again. I said I'd take Calathes over Flynn.

And Flynn is better than Rubio and Jennings...

Mr_Basketball#1
01-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Flynn is more of a what you see is what you're going to get type player. He may be better than Jennings, but I think Rubio and Calathes are better prospects and have more potential. That's just me.

tsforthrees
01-03-2009, 07:53 PM
none of the college/european point guards impress me that much. i think it's a pretty overrated group. i wouldn't consider any one of them a franchise player and i wouldn't want my team built around any of them either.

Godfather
01-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Flynn is more of a what you see is what you get type of player. He may be better than Jennings, but I think Rubio and Calathes are better prospects and have more potential. That's just me.

Like I said how many point guards are successful and 6'5''+???

Mr_Basketball#1
01-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Like I said how many point guards are successful and 6'5''+???
You act as if being 6'5 is a disadvantage for him.

Godfather
01-03-2009, 08:00 PM
You act as if being 6'5 is a disadvantage for him.

Sure it helps significantly when seeing the field, but a majority of these tall point guards aren't quick nor fast enough to guard the NBA points. They have to fall off trying to guard SG position opening a need for an undersized shooting guard. Calathes is both these things, while Rubio is so weak everyone out side of Steve Nash would bully him.

Mr_Basketball#1
01-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Sure it helps significantly when seeing the field, but a majority of these tall point guards aren't quick nor fast enough to guard the NBA points. They have to fall off trying to guard SG position opening a need for an undersized shooting guard. Calathes is both these things, while Rubio is so weak everyone out side of Steve Nash would bully him.
Yeah well of course there are things he has to work on such as getting stronger, but so does Flynn.

SuperLopez
01-03-2009, 08:49 PM
http://blog.underarmour.com/wheninrome/2008/12/
"Barcelona, Spain Trip & Euro League Game
Friday, December 12th, 2008

Hey wasup everybody - We just got back from Barcelona, Spain, where we had a huge Euro League game. It was a great trip overall. The food and city are amazing. We got to Spain around 7pm Wed night. As soon as we checked into the hotel we had a team meeting and team dinner. I then bounced to do a few media requests with Ricky Rubio. I was able to spend a few hours with Ricky, he was really cool, he speaks English very well. Just like me he has a ton of energy and loves playing the game of basketball. He showed up to the media blitz with his Mom and Dad, he has really nice parents. We talked for a few minutes. It was funny because I was signing my Jersey for someone and Ricky says to me

Godfather
01-03-2009, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=SuperLopez]http://blog.underarmour.com/wheninrome/2008/12/
"Barcelona, Spain Trip & Euro League Game
Friday, December 12th, 2008

Hey wasup everybody - We just got back from Barcelona, Spain, where we had a huge Euro League game. It was a great trip overall. The food and city are amazing. We got to Spain around 7pm Wed night. As soon as we checked into the hotel we had a team meeting and team dinner. I then bounced to do a few media requests with Ricky Rubio. I was able to spend a few hours with Ricky, he was really cool, he speaks English very well. Just like me he has a ton of energy and loves playing the game of basketball. He showed up to the media blitz with his Mom and Dad, he has really nice parents. We talked for a few minutes. It was funny because I was signing my Jersey for someone and Ricky says to me

Da KO King
01-03-2009, 08:57 PM
This dude can formulate sentences, but he gets a score on the SAT that makes him ineligible...
Brandon Jennings first score was ineligible. Jennings second score, which he passed) wasn't counted because people in the NCAA office decided the jump in score was "too dramatic". Jennings was forced to take a third test under NCAA supervisor. Jennings took the test. When his results got delayed Jennings said "screw it" and went overseas.

Godfather
01-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Brandon Jennings first score was ineligible. Jennings second score, which he passed) wasn't counted because people in the NCAA office decided the jump in score was "too dramatic". Jennings was forced to take a third test under NCAA supervisor. Jennings took the test. When his results got delayed Jennings said "screw it" and went overseas.

So he never got his last results?

Seems to be working out for him though, considering he is making money and still has a high draft stock...

Da KO King
01-03-2009, 09:02 PM
So he never got his last results?

Seems to be working out for him though, considering he is making money and still has a high draft stock...
Nope. The results from the last test got delayed. Considering there hasn't been a leak of the results from the NCAA offices I assume Jennings it.

Posterize246
01-03-2009, 09:12 PM

Calathes = Kirk Hinrich

And I hate his brother.

Posterize246
01-08-2009, 03:16 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?categoryid=2459792&id=3817552

^Highlights from last night's game vs. Depaul. First 3 highlights are Flynn (1st two are great passes on the fast break, the 3rd play an and1 layup)

hito da god
01-08-2009, 05:42 PM
where is paul harris projected? last i saw was in the second round which i don't understand at all.

Godfather
01-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Calathes = Kirk Hinrich

And I hate his brother.

Please he doesn't have Hinrich's tenacity on defense or vision. Remember before his slump (terrible coaching imho) Hinrich was looking to be one of the best pure points in the league.

Posterize246
01-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Please he doesn't have Hinrich's tenacity on defense or vision. Remember before his slump (terrible coaching imho) Hinrich was looking to be one of the best pure points in the league.
I didn't mean he was as good, I meant as far as offensive playing style.

where is paul harris projected? last i saw was in the second round which i don't understand at all.

2nd round to undrafted. He's down there because he's a big forward in a 6'4" man's body.

By the way, Jonny Flynn had 15 pts, 9 assists, and 7 rebounds today. His steal/mins aren't in the boxscore yet so I'll edit them in when I find out.

I'll post the highlights too.

Mr_Basketball#1
01-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Flynn just sh*tted on some guy!!! That dunk was crazy!

Posterize246
01-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Flynn just sh*tted on some guy!!! That dunk was crazy!
I haven't seen it yet :mad:

And when I talked about Flynn's D...Mike Rosario shot only 6-22 (3-15 from 3) today.

Mr_Basketball#1
01-10-2009, 11:42 PM
I haven't seen it yet :mad:
Flynn had 15 pts, 9 dimes, and 7 boards

BTW, Calathes had 19 pts, 8 dimes, 7 boards, 4 stls and a block.........I just felt the need to throw that in.:lol

Posterize246
01-10-2009, 11:43 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?categoryid=2459792&id=3824462

Holy ****!!! :eek:

sick passing in there by Flynn too

Posterize246
01-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Flynn played the full 40 mins (the stamina of this kid!), had 0 steals but also had 0 turnovers. 0 turnovers for a pg in 40 mins is crazy!

Posterize246
01-11-2009, 01:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmgIPGy0zOE&feature=related
:eek: :bowdown:

Mr_Basketball#1
01-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Lol Did you see how quick Rosario jumped up and ran down the court?

Posterize246
01-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Lol Did you see how quick Rosario jumped up and ran down the court?
I would've done the same thing :lol I laughed at the coach calling for a charge. It can't be a charge when Flynn jumped over him, coach! :oldlol:

lilojmayo
01-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Flynn played the full 40 mins (the stamina of this kid!), had 0 steals but also had 0 turnovers. 0 turnovers for a pg in 40 mins is crazy!

i've watched this dude a few times. He is actually better than i thought. He seems like a winner unlike Jennings who even as my favorite prospect has Team Cancer written all over him.

I want to see how Flynn does in the NCAA tourny thats all that matters really, in the NBA draft ask scrubs like Noah that and Tyrus Thomas who were lottery picks that had no busy in the 1st round type of players

I like flynn strength, how he is a winner, but my knack on him is he seems to compact doesnt seem at least on the TV to have a huge wingspan like most NBA players do.

he alot like rodney stuckey

Mr_Basketball#1
01-11-2009, 03:55 PM
^^Could someone translate that for me please?

Posterize246
01-11-2009, 04:00 PM
^^Could someone translate that for me please?
1. He lacks wingspan
2. He wants to see him in the tourney
3. He's better than he thought he was
4. He compared him to Rodney Stuckey

wang4three
01-11-2009, 06:27 PM
He had a sick dunk against Rutgers.

Posterize246
01-12-2009, 12:21 AM
He had a sick dunk against Rutgers.
It's posted above.

Jonny Flynn vs. Greg Monroe on national tv Wednesday. I can't wait.

DuMa
01-12-2009, 12:24 AM
jonny flynn looks really good but i dont think he will translate well into the NBA unless he develops a great PG swagger

Posterize246
01-12-2009, 12:30 AM
jonny flynn looks really good but i dont think he will translate well into the NBA unless he develops a great PG swagger
where you getting that Flynn doesn't have swagger? you see the look on his face after that dunk on Rosario? that's swag.

Posterize246
01-17-2009, 03:09 PM
17 points
6-13 shooting
3-5 from three
9 assists

vs. Notre Dame :bowdown:

steals/turnover haven't been updated yet

wang4three
01-17-2009, 03:47 PM
17 points
6-13 shooting
3-5 from three
9 assists

vs. Notre Dame :bowdown:

steals/turnover haven't been updated yet

He was burning anyone guarding him. Syracuse is the antithesis of how Notre Dame likes to play and why ND will not make it far in the tourney.

Posterize246
01-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Jonny Flynn in transition is an automatic bucket for whoever's running with him.

wang4three
01-17-2009, 04:36 PM
He's very gifted. Would love to see Cuse match up against Texas or Duke this year.

Buffalobraves
01-17-2009, 05:39 PM
I knew Flynn was going to be great, I covered him in high school.

Dude is mad fast can get to the basket with such a quickness that it leaves you stunned. The only down part of his game last year was passing which I think he has improved on greatly.

He should be a top 20 pick if he enters this year, a lottery pick if he enters after his junior year and top 10 if he stays all 4 years.

Posterize246
02-04-2009, 10:36 PM
38 mins
22 points
7-13 shooting
2-3 from deep
6-7 ft
5 assists
3 steals

vs. WVU tonight:pimp:

Posterize246
02-14-2009, 03:30 PM
25 points and 13 assists today. Also scored his 1,000th point at Cuse:pimp:

bebina
02-16-2009, 01:13 AM
I didn't mean he was as good, I meant as far as offensive playing style.

2nd round to undrafted. He's down there because he's a big forward in a 6'4" man's body.

By the way, Jonny Flynn had 15 pts, 9 assists, and 7 rebounds today. His steal/mins aren't in the boxscore yet so I'll edit them in when I find out.

I'll post the highlights too.

I definetly agree with you on the kirk = calthes but kirk was wayyyyy more athletic than nick...nick is a great colleg point guard but a 2nd string of the bench in the nba....johnny flynn and all these other point guards are good and jhonny is not coming out this yr i believ he is gonna stay one more year but as a scoring point guard none of these guys have anything on jeff teague now he is a scorer

this yr this is my rankings for pgs coming out

rubio def is not coming out this year

1. Brandon Jennings
2. Jeff teague
3. Stephan curry
4. Jeff Maynor
5. Pat Mills
6. Darren Collison
7. Ty Lawson
8. Aj price

idizzle
02-19-2009, 03:14 PM
He reminds me of Baron Davis just shorter and less built.

I think he would fare better in the NBA than Brandon Jennings and Rubio.

I've heard that Jennings is more like a Gilbert Arenas type.

Rubio, I havent heard much of.

Lakas Fan Yo
02-19-2009, 03:21 PM
He reminds me of Baron Davis just shorter and less built.

I think he would fare better in the NBA than Brandon Jennings and Rubio.

I've heard that Jennings is more like a Gilbert Arenas type.

Rubio, I havent heard much of.

I've been watching Jennings in Europe and I honestly was never once reminded of Arenas.

monthh
02-21-2009, 01:45 AM
I know the stats, but how is Jennings looking in Europe? I heard at first he was kind of overmatched, but he was holding his own. I know he can be really flashy like Jason Williams, but is he actually doing that playground stuff or is he playing like a traditional point? In the NBA he is going to have a lot of highlight plays, but he needs to worry about leading the team more than breaking ankles and no-look passes, kind of like Rafer Alston learned to do after his playground days.

Posterize246
03-13-2009, 10:26 AM
:applause:

Younggrease
03-13-2009, 10:35 AM
:applause:

Johnny Flynn is nice but he still isnt messing with Rubio...LOL at people thinkg Ricky wouldnt do the same thing in that situation if not more.

TheBigAristotle1
03-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Johnny Flynn is amazing, I would risk a top 5 draft pick on him. The best small point gaurds, are Chris Paul, Steve Nash and Tony Parker. Flynn isn't as skilled as those guys, but he is more athletic and he has potential. What I like most about Flynn is his handle, no necessarily the smoothest but it's effective. He goes left as well as he goes right. Right now what seperates him from a guy like Tony Parker is polish, Parker has a ridiculously smooth handle and can finish at the rim like no other player....ever.

But he is closer to those guys then people think. He has a lot of creativity, and instincts that you can't teach. What he needs is polish. If he improves I could legitimately see him being an elite top 5 point gaurd for a long time.

wang4three
07-02-2009, 02:49 PM
What were the odds that the two of them would be drafted together to possibly decide the early answer to this?

Posterize246
07-02-2009, 05:35 PM
I was damn close lol

Da KO King
09-06-2009, 06:59 AM
I have stood next to Flynn, (spare me the "pics or it didn't happen" routine) and since I am nearly 6ft3 ( certainly 6ft2 or taller) Flynn can't be any less than 6ft to my eyes. He might be as tall as 6ft 1
You were basically spot on. :applause: Flynn measured at 6' 0.75" at the combine.

poido123
10-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I will say Rubio will be far better than both and will say he will go down as a top 10 greatest PGs of all time by the end of his career...Only time will tell, but highlight this post one day when Im right...

lilojmayo
11-15-2009, 02:19 AM
please please

:lol

Its not your fault Da KO King, you hadn't watched jennings before. I have been watching this kid since his freshman year of hs back in Compton, I knew he was legit like this.

lilojmayo
11-15-2009, 02:20 AM

:bowdown:

Da KO King
11-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Its not your fault Da KO King, you hadn't watched jennings before. I have been watching this kid since his freshman year of hs back in Compton, I knew he was legit like this.
Insane quickness/speed are not facets of the game. They are physical traits.

Also, as you were told before your notion that he would have averaged 30 in College is hyperbole. That Arizona team featured Nic Wise, Chase Budinger, Jordan Hill, and Jamelle Horne; and played at a very average pace. Those two factors, along with the fact that 30 PPG scorers from Power Conference never happen, make it obvious that Jennings simply couldn't do what you suggest.

Go Getter
11-15-2009, 07:57 PM
^your logic is sound and if I had to put up the house in a bet I'd go with your reasoning.....however, the kid is uber talented and I wouldn't put it past him...no one thought he'd be better than Rubio and it's obvious now that he is.

Da KO King
11-16-2009, 08:25 PM
^your logic is sound and if I had to put up the house in a bet I'd go with your reasoning.....however, the kid is uber talented and I wouldn't put it past him...no one thought he'd be better than Rubio and it's obvious now that he is.
Hard to say it is obvious when Rubio has yet to play a game. Plus Jennings has played less than 10 games in the NBA. It is too soon to just anoint him as a great player.

If this short a time period was a true measure of what a player was going to be Damon Stoudamire would be one of the greatest players in league history.

LebrickJames84'
11-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Hard to say it is obvious when Rubio has yet to play a game. Plus Jennings has played less than 10 games in the NBA. It is too soon to just anoint him as a great player.

If this short a time period was a true measure of what a player was going to be Damon Stoudamire would be one of the greatest players in league history.
jennings with 25 7 8 after his 55 point game. He may have the greatest rookie season since JOrdan.

Da KO King
11-20-2009, 05:33 AM
jennings with 25 7 8 after his 55 point game. He may have the greatest rookie season since JOrdan.
One season does not determine the outcome of a career. Especially when the biggest knock on a prospect is attitude more than anything shown (or not shown) on the court.

brandonislegend
11-20-2009, 06:31 AM
One season does not determine the outcome of a career. Especially when the biggest knock on a prospect is attitude more than anything shown (or not shown) on the court.

attitude?

more like swagger.

liljohnnywall
11-20-2009, 10:59 PM
attitude?

more like swagger.

His swag level is off the chart. He is up there with JR Smith, and Kenyon Martin. The type of swag where he will score 30 on you, keep talking, letting you know, then after the game say because they were disrespecting my jumper, then f*ck 3 white girls before you call it a night. He has that much swag.

Freedom Kid7
08-18-2012, 01:19 AM
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol .
Seriously, I dislike Syracuse. They almost got beat in the first round by an incredibly low seeded college team, and would have lost too if not for the refs

Shade8780
05-19-2013, 05:12 AM
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Bumpity bumpity