PDA

View Full Version : Why is the NBA the least popular sport nowadays?

ConanRulesNBC
12-29-2008, 01:35 AM
I'm talking out of the big 4 (basketball, baseball, football, hockey) it seems like the NBA keeps on going lower and lower each season in terms of popularity. Especially here in Chicago. Once in a while you'll hear people talk about Derrick Rose but that's about it. Before this season the Bulls at least were talked about more than the Blackhawks but now I'd say that NHL has replaced the NBA as the 3rd best sport at least around here.

When it comes to teams...

1.) Bears
2.) Cubs
3.) White Sox
4.) Blackhawks
5.) Bulls

Sports...

1.) NFL
2.) MLB
3.) NHL
4.) NBA

What does David Stern need to do to make the NBA popular again? Even before the Blackhawks got really good this season I would talk to a lot of hardcore sports fans who would say that they prefer college basketball over the NBA. David Stern has got to do something to change the image of the NBA for the better.

Jacks3
12-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Pretty sure the NBA is more popular then the NHL...easily.

L.Kizzle
12-29-2008, 01:39 AM
In Chicago, maybe, it's up north as a whole, NBA >>>>>>>>> NHL.

StroShow4
12-29-2008, 01:40 AM
basketball is MUCH more popular than hockey. it's not even close.

Posterize246
12-29-2008, 01:40 AM
In Philly:

1. Eagles
2. Phillies
3. Flyers/Sixers (whoever is more successful that season)

NastaMaverick
12-29-2008, 01:42 AM
The NBA is more popular than the NHL and the MLB.

bladefd
12-29-2008, 01:42 AM

NBA more popular than MLB? Hardly true. Just look at how much some of the MLB teams are worth. Yankees alone are the 2nd biggest sports franchise in the world money-wise I believe after some soccer team.

sammdogg
12-29-2008, 01:43 AM
In LA its

1) LAkers
2) Dodgers
3) Angels
4) Raiders
5) Ducks
6) Kings
7) Clippers
8) Chargers

or something like that...

A. Blackmon
12-29-2008, 01:44 AM
That's because Chicago and Philly have had no chance to do $h*t for years.

I'd rather watch Euroleague than baseball or hockey. Golf too, in my opinion all that ****'s wack.

NBA is gaining popularity worldwide faster than any other sport.

12-29-2008, 01:47 AM
Actually, NASCAR is 2nd to NFL in ratings and MMA draws higher ratings than NBA and NHL on a regular basis, even when its on PPV. Problem with the NBA is there is not enough parity. You know its going to be one of the same handful of teams in the Finals every year. There have only been SEVEN NBA teams to win the championship in the past 25 years.

NFL and MLB are much less predictable and every new year, fans of every team think they have a legitimate chance to win it all. You dont have that in the NBA and havent for many years.

hawksdogsbraves
12-29-2008, 01:48 AM
Hockey more popular than basketball? :roll:

ConanRulesNBC
12-29-2008, 01:48 AM
Yeah I was going to say that in other big cities it's probably different but here in Chicago I'd absolutely rank the NHL higher than the NBA this season. Everyone around here is talking about the Blackhawks (they just won 9 in a row) while very few people are talking about the Bulls. The only player they mention is Rose. But yeah in other cities the NBA is probably more popular or tied at least with the NHL but they don't come close to the NFL or MLB.

Grinder
12-29-2008, 01:49 AM
Yeah the NHL is so popular it had some of its playoff games air on Versus.

miles berg
12-29-2008, 01:49 AM
TV ratings for the NBA are up all over the place. Last year TNT, ESPN, & ABC all reported double digit gains in viewership and this years Lakers/Celtics game on ABC drew 51% more viewers, over 5 million, than last years Lakers/Suns ABC debut game.

I think we are about to enter a new golden era.

And, remember, the NBA is so global now its ridiculous In the last two years it has doubled its global revenues.

The NBA hasnt been this healthy in around a decade.

Posterize246
12-29-2008, 01:51 AM
If fans rated their home teams on their recent success, why would a team who has won 0 Super Bowls be #1 on our list over a team who is the current World Series Champion?

You= :hammerhead:

12-29-2008, 01:52 AM
Hockey more popular than basketball? :roll:

Depends on your market. I can guarantee you the Devils outdraw the Nets in NJ and the Maple Leafs WAY outdraw the Raptors both on TV and live. I am willing to bet there are other markets where the hockey teams are watched more than the NBA teams.

jinsanity
12-29-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm talking out of the big 4 (basketball, baseball, football, hockey) it seems like the NBA keeps on going lower and lower each season in terms of popularity. Especially here in Chicago. Once in a while you'll hear people talk about Derrick Rose but that's about it. Before this season the Bulls at least were talked about more than the Blackhawks but now I'd say that NHL has replaced the NBA as the 3rd best sport at least around here.

1.) Bears
2.) Cubs
3.) White Sox
4.) Blackhawks
5.) Bulls

Sports...

1.) NFL
2.) MLB
3.) NHL
4.) NBA

What does David Stern need to do to make the NBA popular again? Even before the Blackhawks got really good this season I would talk to a lot of hardcore sports fans who would say that they prefer college basketball over the NBA. David Stern has got to do something to change the image of the NBA for the better.

Well, ever since Michael Jordan retired, the interest in basketball for casual fans really dropped for some reason. Especially in the international markets. China would be an exception though due to Yao. Anyway, I thought Lebron would increase the popularity of the NBA in the general public and have a Tiger Woods/MJ impact but in reality he hasn't.

Also, the league has definately gained a more hip-hop image compared to Jordan's era. I don't care about this , but for the average ,conservative, middle aged public, this doesn't seem to be desirable.

Globally, NBA is still the most popular American sports league, but in the US. it obviously isn't.

ConanRulesNBC
12-29-2008, 01:53 AM
When it comes to talent this is definitely the best the NBA has been since the early to mid '90s. But even on SportsCenter and ESPN News and all of ESPN actually they spend way more time talking about the NFL and MLB and even now NHL.

DuMa
12-29-2008, 01:54 AM
nba is all top heavy teams. not much parity. thus only teh teams in the bigger markets care about their own teams.

but it is still better than the NHL. although i've heard the NHL is a better spectator sport than the NBA is. i have a few ducks tickets to use up for 2009. im lookin forward to my first hockey game

miles berg
12-29-2008, 01:54 AM
Its pretty close between the NBA and MLB, both battling for 3rd after the NFL and NASCAR.

The NBA Finals drew over 15 million viewers this year, the World Series over 13 million.

12-29-2008, 01:56 AM
i have a few ducks tickets to use up for 2009. im lookin forward to my first hockey game

I live 2 miles from the Honda Center and go on occasion. Hockey is 50 times better live than on TV, its not even close.

hawksdogsbraves
12-29-2008, 02:02 AM
Depends on your market. I can guarantee you the Devils outdraw the Nets in NJ and the Maple Leafs WAY outdraw the Raptors both on TV and live. I am willing to bet there are other markets where the hockey teams are watched more than the NBA teams.

The NBA has a much higher revenue than the NHL does overall. In fact, NASCAR makes more money than the NHL does. The NHL may be more popular in a couple of markets but it lags far behind the NFL, MLB, and NHL as far as revenues and valuations are concerned.

The average NFL team costs about $530 million, MLB $293 million, NBA $247 million, NHL $160 million.

EricForman
12-29-2008, 02:03 AM

1.) Bears
2.) Cubs
3.) White Sox
4.) Blackhawks
5.) Bulls

Sports...

1.) NFL
2.) MLB
3.) NHL
4.) NBA

Maybe it applies to America.

But to the world, NBA has a brighter--by far--future than NFL, NHL and baseball combined.

People in Asia and Europe will never give a crap about football. But basketball will grow. Bball is easily be the second biggest sport in the world.

Trust me, the NBA is fine. They're huge all around the world... while 95 out of 100 people in Hong Kong (where I'm at right now) wouldn't know who the hell Tom Brady is.

A. Blackmon
12-29-2008, 02:04 AM
If fans rated their home teams on their recent success, why would a team who has won 0 Super Bowls be #1 on our list over a team who is the current World Series Champion?

You= :hammerhead:

I'm only talking Hoops. Like I said before I hate baseball so much I don't even care enough to Google "World Series Champs" to see if you even know what your talking about.

My point was that those people don't care about NBA because there teams are $h*tty.

ConanRulesNBC
12-29-2008, 02:05 AM
Its pretty close between the NBA and MLB, both battling for 3rd after the NFL and NASCAR.

The NBA Finals drew over 15 million viewers this year, the World Series over 13 million.

But look at who made it to each one. The Celtics and Lakers come from two really strong markets. Now if it was the Cubs vs. Yankees or Cubs vs. Red Sox it would have blown away the NBA finals.

JayGuevara
12-29-2008, 02:08 AM
The Lions still have fans no matter what, and probably more now after 0-16. The Tigers had a revival and then promptly underachieved but they're still a draw for fans. The Pistons are popular, but I think the Red Wings are the biggest in the area.

Well, for the state or at least metro area. For the actual city of Detroit, not so much, how many minorities like hockey? :oldlol:

ConanRulesNBC
12-29-2008, 02:09 AM
They even had a poll recently on ESPN asking which one was more exciting and I forget a couple of the choices but the Celtics winning the NBA championship was last and Michael Phelps winning all those gold medals was way higher.

Alonzo Magic
12-29-2008, 02:11 AM
I posted this in the "NBA: AN afterthought?" thread a couple of days ago:

I completely understand why you guys say the NFL is more popular and therefore will be shown more. It's obvious to me that in the States that Gridiron is No.1 followed by Baseball, and these two are much bigger than the rest of the American sporting market. It's kinda hard to make a case for the NBA when a star like Iverson says his dream was to play in the NFL, or when the first question LeBron is asked in an interview is what he thinks of the Yankees new pitcher. Everyone associated with Basketball has accepted it, hell even love the rival sports. Here in Australia that's unheard of, a person in say, Rugby would NEVER talk about a rival code, let alone one it's star players. You think soccer players here would give coverage to a summer sport rival like Cricket? Hell no! All the Professional Sports codes here are fighting for the most media coverage and fans. That's what I don't get about American Sports.

Going back to what I was saying about the NFL being more popular in America therefore getting more coverage - Here in Oz, the NBA is quite popular, particularly in my state of Queensland, where Basketball is widely regarded as second only to Rugby in the winter and Cricket in the summer. Even with the National Basketball League being near bankrupt. The yearly Nielsen ratings show that the NBA consistently beats out the NFL in coverage, although the Superbowl generates the most viewing audiences in the one sitting between the two sports. The NBA beats out the NFL in merchandising also - I've never seen an NFL jersey in a sports store, Sure I've seen Balls, but never jerseys. Where as NBA jerseys generate a steady and reliable income. Don't get me started on shoes. Most importantly - the Fans, and their knowledge of both sports. Almost all my non NBA watching friends can tell me who Carmelo Anthony is, but if you asked them what TO stands for then they'd be more inclined to say Time Out then Terrell Owens.

After this, after all of this, do you know how many times they show the NFL here? SIX live games a week, as opposed to the 2 games of NBA. I just can't fathom that. It's infuriating.

I was watching a video clip of most of the Heat players being interviewed a couple of days ago and there was a question each an everyone of them was asked - "What did you want to be when you were younger?" You know what most of them said? Football players, that's right half the players on the Heat roster wanted to be in the NFL when they were growing up. Marion, Marcus Banks, Udonis Haslem, etc. That just seems foreign to me here living in Australia, like I said before, no one gives an inch to a rival sport here.

Posterize246
12-29-2008, 02:15 AM
I'm only talking Hoops. Like I said before I hate baseball so much I don't even care enough to Google "World Series Champs" to see if you even know what your talking about.

My point was that those people don't care about NBA because there teams are $h*tty.
My point is the Sixers could win back-to back-to back NBA championships and football would still be #1 here. So having a ****ty team doesn't really have much to do with it.

miles berg
12-29-2008, 02:17 AM
But look at who made it to each one. The Celtics and Lakers come from two really strong markets. Now if it was the Cubs vs. Yankees or Cubs vs. Red Sox it would have blown away the NBA finals.

From what I have read, this years Finals outdrew the last Yankees World Series. But, regardless, what they draw in the US is really nothing compared to global ratings where the NBA blows everyone else away. Also, as I read earlier, NBA sales, jerseys, etc...are the best both in the US and in the Global market. The NBA also has a far greater internet following, as they are googled more than any US sport.

Point is, these are all revenue sources for the NBA. According to Wiki, the NBA was getting higher ratings in the 90s for regular season games, then MLB overtook them early this decade, and now the NBA is only slightly below MLB and, according to the ESPN article I was reading, the NBA is seeing a dramatic increase in ratings over the last two years.

Honestly, MLB just went through a Golden Era, it is the first time in a long time that casual fans were into it, mainly because of ESPN hyping the hell out of the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry. The NBA was at its lowest after the lockout and Jordans retirement yet it stood strong and, now, appears poised to enter another Golden Era similar to the mid 80s to late 90s era which placed the NBA #2 in the US.

But, again, this is all purely in the US. When you factor in the Global Market, MLB is nowhere close to the NBA and more than likely will never be. While MLB has been working to fix itself in the US, David Stern has been working to make the NBA the #1 league in the entire universe and it is.

If I were a betting man Id say that by 2015 the NBA will be more popular than it has ever been and a clear #2 to the NFL in the States and the runaway Global leader.

ConanRulesNBC
12-29-2008, 02:18 AM
The NFL is in a league of it's own when it comes to popularity here in the U.S. Even baseball doesn't have a chance.

Posterize246
12-29-2008, 02:21 AM
I don't really think tv ratings can be looked at too closely to find the "popularity" of sports.

A lot of NBA teams struggle to sell 16,000 tix for a game now, while anything under 20,000 for an MLB game is silly. So if the nba is watched more on tv, but more people are attending baseball games, doesn't it even out a bit?

Sonic R
12-29-2008, 02:22 AM
The Pistons always struggle in this town for popularity :rolleyes:

The Lions get more ink and airtime than any other team

ConanRulesNBC
12-29-2008, 02:26 AM
Speaking of the NHL and the Blackhawks is anyone else excited for the Blackhawks vs. Red Wings game at Wrigley Field this Thursday? That's going to be awesome to see.

dhenk
12-29-2008, 02:46 AM
Soccer is even less popular. But worldwide...

#1 Soccer
#2 Basketball

Hmm, I wonder if there

Trax416
12-29-2008, 03:51 AM
The NHL isn't more popular in America, but it's more popular in literally every single other country both the NBA and NHL are shown.

There isn't another country in the world outside of china that follows the NBA (like they do in North America). Yet if you go to Finland, Sweden, Russia or the Czech Republic , not only do they follow their own hockey leagues, but they all watch hockey religiously. The only sport more popular being Soccer.

Why do you think hockey makes so much money yet nobody in America watches it? It's all money from Canada and the viewership overseas. The Russian Hockey league alone makes all of the European basketball leagues look like it's run by ****ing amateurs. Also, why do you think international hockey is so competitive? You have many players from all over the world who are all equally as good as each other. It's not like basketball where Europeans are only now starting to become good, but still don't match Americans.

Also take note that the NBA is declining. Less people watching it on TV, less people in attendance at games, less new coverage, less money being made. While the NHL is beating the NBA in attendance, and is gaining in popularity. Being the second fastest growing sport in America next to only Mixed Martial Arts.

I love the NBA and basketball, but it is in trouble. It's declining in North America big time. The only viable option for them to expand is into China. The European markets can barely keep a Euro team because of the lack of interest. The NHL will be expanding into Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic and Finland before long, all of which could house very valuable teams.

The NBA won't be like the NFL where the NFL can stay in America forever due to it's GIGANTIC wealth and popularity. The NBA, much like the NHL will be forced to expand internationally. The problem being the International markets are not developed enough in terms of basketball talent or interest to house teams. Outside of China the only two countries with stable enough economies to have an NBA team would be Italy and Spain. Problem being, Soccer to them is like the Football to Americans, and will always, forever, overshadow basketball.

ON a side note. the NHL opened up the season in Europe this year and set records for the most viewed sport on TV and the largest attendance for a sport that wasn't soccer in the countries involved.

Trax416
12-29-2008, 04:02 AM
[QUOTE=dhenk]Soccer is even less popular. But worldwide...

#1 Soccer
#2 Basketball

Hmm, I wonder if there

ScolaFan
12-29-2008, 04:19 AM
maybe because of things like this:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114426

Apparently the NBA is no longer a team sport anymore. It's all about individuals. IMO

Alonzo Magic
12-29-2008, 04:25 AM
The NHL isn't more popular in America, but it's more popular in literally every single other country both the NBA and NHL are shown.

(apart from North America) Only Scandanavia and some parts of Eastern Europe pay any attention to Ice Hockey. Don't act like it's a global icon. And I wonder why all those Icy nations play Ice Hockey, I wonder.

There isn't another country in the world outside of china that follows the NBA (like they do in North America).

And no country follows the Serie A as much as Italy, even in their golden era in the 90's.

It's not like basketball where Europeans are only now starting to become good, but still don't match Americans.

Even though that statement isn't factually accurate, I will say this - I'm a member of a European Football Forum (Soccer) and in the Off topic section there's a thread titled "NBA 08/09 season thread" which has over 3000 posts so far with so little of the season gone. There isn't even a thread about Hockey. :confusedshrug:

Them being "good" or not has nothing to do with the popularity of the two sports. Greece and Turkey don't have the squad to match the States, so are you gonna tell me they aren't huge ball loving nations? Or more laughably that Hockey is bigger there?

Alonzo Magic
12-29-2008, 04:35 AM
No. Cricket, Rugby, etc.. are all more popular then basketball. So is hockey, because hockey includes field hockey, and field hockey is more popular then basketball, as it's played by billions of people (main sport in India and many asian countries).

On a Gobal scale? Hell no. :lol Only commonwealth nations play Rugby and Cricket, where as Basketball has a more consistent supporter base throughout the world.

Hockey? :oldlol: Australia is the best Field Hockey nation in the world. It isn't televised, nor does it have a professional league. No one gives a **** about it - In Year 10 we had two options for spring sports competition, it was between Field Hockey and Basketball. EVERY boy chose Basketball, every spot was filled. It got to the point kids wanted to referee the games then be forced into Field Hockey.

And why are you grouping Field and Ice Hockey together? Enthusiasts of both codes will tell you their both different and ditest each code.

biisak
12-29-2008, 04:41 AM
Maybe it applies to America.

But to the world, NBA has a brighter--by far--future than NFL, NHL and baseball combined.

People in Asia and Europe will never give a crap about football. But basketball will grow. Bball is easily be the second biggest sport in the world.

Trust me, the NBA is fine. They're huge all around the world... while 95 out of 100 people in Hong Kong (where I'm at right now) wouldn't know who the hell Tom Brady is.

Amen. The Bucks@Rockets (Yi vs Yao) drew more viewers worldwide then the any mlb/nfl/nascar-event has ever had. You wanna know how the owners feel about that? :cheers:

biisak
12-29-2008, 04:48 AM

There isn't another country in the world outside of china that follows the NBA (like they do in North America). Yet if you go to Finland, Sweden, Russia or the Czech Republic , not only do they follow their own hockey leagues, but they all watch hockey religiously. The only sport more popular being Soccer.

Why do you think hockey makes so much money yet nobody in America watches it? It's all money from Canada and the viewership overseas. The Russian Hockey league alone makes all of the European basketball leagues look like it's run by ****ing amateurs. Also, why do you think international hockey is so competitive? You have many players from all over the world who are all equally as good as each other. It's not like basketball where Europeans are only now starting to become good, but still don't match Americans.

Also take note that the NBA is declining. Less people watching it on TV, less people in attendance at games, less new coverage, less money being made. While the NHL is beating the NBA in attendance, and is gaining in popularity. Being the second fastest growing sport in America next to only Mixed Martial Arts.

I love the NBA and basketball, but it is in trouble. It's declining in North America big time. The only viable option for them to expand is into China. The European markets can barely keep a Euro team because of the lack of interest. The NHL will be expanding into Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic and Finland before long, all of which could house very valuable teams.

The NBA won't be like the NFL where the NFL can stay in America forever due to it's GIGANTIC wealth and popularity. The NBA, much like the NHL will be forced to expand internationally. The problem being the International markets are not developed enough in terms of basketball talent or interest to house teams. Outside of China the only two countries with stable enough economies to have an NBA team would be Italy and Spain. Problem being, Soccer to them is like the Football to Americans, and will always, forever, overshadow basketball.

ON a side note. the NHL opened up the season in Europe this year and set records for the most viewed sport on TV and the largest attendance for a sport that wasn't soccer in the countries involved.

This just isn

starface
12-29-2008, 05:01 AM
Trax, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

beeboywhoo
12-29-2008, 06:09 AM
In LA its

1) LAkers
2) Dodgers
3) Angels
4) Raiders
5) Ducks
6) Kings
7) Clippers
8) Chargers

or something like that...

really..... chargers last in LA?..... when they just spanked the **** out of broncos, and al the sports bars were filled today...

CelticForce1349
12-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Well, ever since Michael Jordan retired, the interest in basketball for casual fans really dropped for some reason. Especially in the international markets. China would be an exception though due to Yao. Anyway, I thought Lebron would increase the popularity of the NBA in the general public and have a Tiger Woods/MJ impact but in reality he hasn't.

Also, the league has definately gained a more hip-hop image compared to Jordan's era. I don't care about this , but for the average ,conservative, middle aged public, this doesn't seem to be desirable.

Globally, NBA is still the most popular American sports league, but in the US. it obviously isn't.

I think Lebron could (or should have had) a "Tiger Woods effect" on basketball, but I think he sort of shot himself in the foot. Lebron is a good looking guy, he speaks well, looks good in a suit, etc. Everything that most people and the sponsors that hire him want.

However, when you see Lebron on the sidelines biting his nails constantly or when the average joe looks and sees the 400 million tattoos I think they cringe a bit. You can argue that these things shouldn't matter but I don't think anyone can say that this has no effect on how people do or don't relate to him.

As far as the Hip-hop image I think it is dying out just a bit and I personally am glad. I was certainly one of those people that felt a disconnect from the NBA post-Jordan and in the early 00's when the hippity-hoppity thing just felt intrusive.

Scott Pippen
12-29-2008, 09:54 AM

I don't think Jordan is the only reason. He is huge reason, but not the only one. Remember the Lakers/Celtics matchups of the 1980s. Also in general basketball was better then. Before 2007-08, the NBA was not very good with talent. The 2 best players in the NBA were on lottery teams. I think the NBA is now slowly recovering after the last 10+ seasons of subpar ball (besides a few teams and the West in 2001). Do not forget all the flopping and defensive rules.

I am upset with myself for even taking the league seriously when they said they would fine floppers. They wouldn't dare. Not in today's game. But the good news is that we are now in a new era and the NBA is back! At least better than it was a few years ago.:applause:

Hawker
12-29-2008, 10:09 AM
NBA more popular than MLB? Hardly true. Just look at how much some of the MLB teams are worth. Yankees alone are the 2nd biggest sports franchise in the world money-wise I believe after some soccer team.

:oldlol:

More like the greatest sports team in the world: Manchester United.

Alonzo Magic
12-29-2008, 10:16 AM

How so?

MMM
12-29-2008, 10:22 AM
the nba might be more popular then the NHL but it is not by a wide gap that a lot of you think. The Nhl has rebounded since its work stopage and is seeing higher numbers at the gates outdrawing the Nba in many markets.

Slam13
12-29-2008, 10:30 AM
That is only in the US, outside of it NBA is by far the most popular, followed by NHL, NFL and MLB are virtually non-existent outside of the US.

Overall I'd say NBA is by far the most popular because it is known and followed in nearly all countries in the world.... NHL is followed by northern countries mostly, but also balcan countries, MLB and NFL isn't watched anywhere else outside of US/Canada afaik.

MMM
12-29-2008, 10:44 AM
That is only in the US, outside of it NBA is by far the most popular, followed by NHL, NFL and MLB are virtually non-existent outside of the US.

Overall I'd say NBA is by far the most popular because it is known and followed in nearly all countries in the world.... NHL is followed by northern countries mostly, but also balcan countries, MLB and NFL isn't watched anywhere else outside of US/Canada afaik.

in europe Hockey is as popular as basketball but if we are going by the leagues yes the NBA is more popular.

kap
12-29-2008, 11:00 AM
you guys know that people spent up to 10 grand per seat for the lakers celtics game?

TmacsRockets
12-29-2008, 11:04 AM

1.) Bears
2.) Cubs
3.) White Sox
4.) Blackhawks
5.) Bulls

Sports...

1.) NFL
2.) MLB
3.) NHL
4.) NBA

NBa has the worst officiating.

Slam13
12-29-2008, 11:08 AM
overall sport popularity worldwide is like this

soccer (+indoors/beach)
basketball
tennis (+tabletennis)
hockey (+field)
volleyball (+beach)
rugby
handball
baseball (+cricket)
american football

I'm pretty sure NBA is the most watched of the major US leagues, even inside the USA they might be second behind NFL.

LJJ
12-29-2008, 11:16 AM
overall sport popularity worldwide is like this

soccer (+indoors)
basketball
tennis (+tabletennis)
rugby
hockey
volleyball
handball
american football
baseball (+cricket)

I'm pretty sure NBA is the most watched of the major US leagues, even inside the USA they might be second behind NFL.

I don't think Basketball is the second most popular sport worldwide. :confusedshrug:

It is more popular than American football and baseball.

Rekindled
12-29-2008, 11:33 AM
in michigan

pistons/wings

tigers

lions

Rekindled
12-29-2008, 11:35 AM
I don't think Basketball is the second most popular sport worldwide. :confusedshrug:

when it's the no.1 sport in china , it should automaticly become the most popular sport worldwide.

Slam13
12-29-2008, 11:41 AM

I think it is, it is a top 3 sport in most countries of the world, in my country it is #1, soccer being #2.
soccer is usually the #1 sport worldwide, in US it is I think #5, but basketball is #2 or #3 in USA.

I don't know what else would be the second most popular sport behind soccer, its basketball for sure.

Slam13
12-29-2008, 11:43 AM
when it's the no.1 sport in china , it should automaticly become the most popular sport worldwide.
soccer is #1 and its not even close, but yes basketball is #2 for sure.

I think for regions its like this

Europe overall soccer #1 by far, basketball #2, in some places it is different like baltic countries basketball is #1 and in scandinavia hockey is #1.
Russia I think soccer #1, hockey #2, basketball #3.

Africa soccer #1, don't know what else they do there, basketball is probably #2

South america soccer #1 by far, I think volleyball might be #2 there.

Mexico soccer #1

Middle east soccer #1

About Asia I dont know, many things are popular there like gymnastics tabletennis cricket basketball soccer etc...in South Korea e-sports #1 :D

Australia/New Zealand I think rugby #1, cricket #2, soccer/basketball #3

AItheAnswer3
12-29-2008, 02:05 PM

Please.

Jasi
12-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Italy:

1. Soccer

2. Formula 1
3. Moto GP
4/5. Volleyball and basketball
6. Swimming & waterpolo
7. Athletics
8. Rugby
9. Others

1~Gibson~1
12-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Alabama

Auburn University
Troy University
Alabama State University
Alabama A&M University

No Professionial Teams :(

University of Alabama

Trax416
12-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Trax, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Here is an article talking about it

t's no surprise that football, or what Americans call "soccer" is the world's most popular sport to play and to watch. An estimated 3.5 billion people either watch or play football. The World Cup is the global championship of the sport and this tournament is played every four years. The World Cup itself is one of the highest rated sports on television, with many countries tuning in en masse to watch their country's team play. Football is popular in all of the UK, Europe, Asia as well as South America. However, with so many other sports being popular, the Unites States still lags behind in their interest in "soccer".

Next, we have cricket. This sport which consists of a bat and a ball, has been around for hundreds of years and originated in England. The sport is popular in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, some African countries, some Caribbean countries and it is the most popular sport in the countries of India and Pakistan. An estimated 3 billion people watch or play cricket each year.

The next most popular sport is a sure surprise, and that is field hockey, with an estimated 2 billion players or watchers, mostly in Asian countries, European countries, Australia and around Africa. This sport tends to be played in high schools in the United States, usually by girls only.

Coming up next is tennis. Not so surprising, but there are an estimated 1 billion players and watchers of tennis around the world. Tennis tends to be popular in richer countries, including the United States, Asian countries, Australia and Europe. There are four main tournaments in tennis, called "Grand Slams" at which players from many countries play. The first is the Australian Open, then the French Open, Wimbledon and then the US Open in late August. The Grand Slam tournaments tend to get the most attention during the tennis season.

Next we have volleyball. Yet another surprise, with an estimated 900 million viewers or players around the world. Volleyball is popular in the United States, where the sport originated, as well as in Brazil, all over Europe, Russia, China and Japan. Volleyball is a popular high school sport in many countries due to it's team centered play and lack of specialized equipment requirements.

Also popular is table tennis, otherwise known as Ping Pong. This is another surprisingly popular sport around the world, with an estimated 900 million watchers or players. Table tennis originated in England as an after dinner activity for Victorians in the late 19th century. Table tennis as a competitive sport is popular in many countries but is especially popular in China, Korea and Singapore.

After these sports, we have a triumvirate of more mainstream American sports including baseball, golf, American football and basketball, with each sport attracting between 400 and 500 million players or watchers worldwide.

The fact is, basketball may be popular among a certain age group and audience, but it's not even close to as popular as other sports. The fact any of you think Basketball is more popular then Cricket, is a joke. Over 2 billion people watched each game of the 2007 cricket world cup. It's not even close.

catzhernandez
12-29-2008, 03:26 PM
In Indiana it goes

1.NFL
2.NASCAR
3.MLB - Cubs, predominately...
4.NBA

tmac2k8
12-29-2008, 03:27 PM
In Houston
1.) Texans
2.) Astros
3.) Rockets

I hate hearing about the Texans, i enjoy watching the game but I'm not so die hard that I have to talk about it all day on the radio, but people in Houston are obsessed with Texans.

catzhernandez
12-29-2008, 03:35 PM
In Houston
1.) Texans
2.) Astros
3.) Rockets

I hate hearing about the Texans, i enjoy watching the game but I'm not so die hard that I have to talk about it all day on the radio, but people in Houston are obsessed with Texans.
lmao, Sage Rosen****.

Niquesports
12-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah I was going to say that in other big cities it's probably different but here in Chicago I'd absolutely rank the NHL higher than the NBA this season. Everyone around here is talking about the Blackhawks (they just won 9 in a row) while very few people are talking about the Bulls. The only player they mention is Rose. But yeah in other cities the NBA is probably more popular or tied at least with the NHL but they don't come close to the NFL or MLB.
Ive never been to Chicago but Im sure the NBA is more popular in urban areas than the NHL as well as MLB

H2whoa
12-29-2008, 04:02 PM
It's alright ya'll,
NBA is still more popular than WNBA!

sammdogg
12-29-2008, 04:25 PM
It's alright ya'll,
NBA is still more popular than WNBA!
haha little league baseball is more popular than wnba... no joke lol

bdreason
12-29-2008, 04:26 PM
The NHL isn't more popular than the NBA.

Even on the world scale I don't think Ice Hockey is more popular than Basketball. Maybe in Europe and some parts of Asia Hockey is more popular than Basketball... but in South America and Africa nobody gives a **** about Ice Hockey. Even in North America, the home of the NHL, Basketball is more popular.

Slam13
12-29-2008, 05:05 PM
I think when you try to figure out the popularity of a sport worldwide you can't just look at the numbers because of the huge population in asia, any sport that is popular within china or india is automatically one of the most popular sports in the world? it doesn't work like that, cricket is hardly a top 10 sport worldwide, I think the sports that are popular in the western culture (Europe, North America) deserve more recognition because they shape the things worldwide (soccer, american football, rugby, baseball and cricket all originate from England). Also it's not only about how much people watch the sport, but how much people play it aswell. The list I made should have it pretty correctly, I think it is like this worldwide:

#1 football (+indoor/beach) - played everywhere in the world and is the most popular in the majority of the countries worldwide.
#2 basketball - also played everywhere in the world and is amongst top 3 in most countries worldwide.
#3 tennis (+tabletennis) - played everywhere in the western culture, and tabletennis in Asia
#4 hockey (+field) - #1 sport in the scandinavian countries + canada, and fieldhockey is popular in Asia
#5 volleyball (+beach) - played everywhere worldwide, and the #1 sport @ any beach
#6 Motosports (includes F1, Nascar, WRC, etc) - popular Europe and the Americas.
#7 cricket + baseball - played in only 3 regions (south Asia, north America, and Australia) but these places have a huge combined population.

Then comes many things like Handball, Softball, Track&Field, Fighting sports, etc.

American football is not in the top 10.

Lakas Fan Yo
12-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Every single time I try to watch an NBA game with someone they always won't watch it because the players are completely covered with tattoos and they look like gang bangers or convicts. All the tattoo covered players puts out a really bad image.

CelticForce1349
12-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Every single time I try to watch an NBA game with someone they always won't watch it because the players are completely covered with tattoos and they look like gang bangers or convicts. All the tattoo covered players puts out a really bad image.

I have seen the same reaction from people.

stephanieg
12-29-2008, 06:00 PM
I think when you try to figure out the popularity of a sport worldwide you can't just look at the numbers because of the huge population in asia, any sport that is popular within china or india is automatically one of the most popular sports in the world? it doesn't work like that, cricket is hardly a top 10 sport worldwide, I think the sports that are popular in the western culture (Europe, North America) deserve more recognition because they shape the things worldwide (soccer, american football, rugby, baseball and cricket all originate from England).

Here is a good example of Western elitism. Yeah, just ignore those 2 billion people. Now, if people just want to focus on the Western world, that's another thing.

Alonzo Magic
12-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Here is a good example of Western elitism. Yeah, just ignore those 2 billion people. Now, if people just want to focus on the Western world, that's another thing.

Slam 13's point was to illustrate how deceiving it is to go by sole numbers to judge popularity. Having such huge disparity among population in each country is a legitimate claim for inaccurate evidence. IMO, checking individual popularity of sports in each nation would be more precise.

Also, people have really overestimated Cricket's appeal. In the recent test series in India between the hosts and Australia attracted an all time low in the country. They couldn't get the stadiums a quarter full. The sport is in desperate trouble. It is in no way bigger than Basketball worldwide

Here in Australia, only the Anglo Saxon community would be considered as Cricket enthusiasts - Otherwise minorities almost always prefer Basketball over Cricket.

Godfather
12-29-2008, 06:29 PM
The NBA is the most popular sports franchise in the world...Why? China.

ikoiko
12-29-2008, 07:06 PM

this is ridiculous to me. granted, i am not an american, but this is a common reaction in the USA? 'oh no, those guys have tattoos, we can't "relate" to that!' seriously, what is that?

ForceOfNature
12-29-2008, 07:11 PM
The NBA definitely isn't the least popular sport, at least not in NY. If we're talking about internationally, it's the second most popular sport in the world.

Hammertime
12-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Slam 13's point was to illustrate how deceiving it is to go by sole numbers to judge popularity. Having such huge disparity among population in each country is a legitimate claim for inaccurate evidence. IMO, checking individual popularity of sports in each nation would be more precise

How would that be more precise? If you want to find out what the global popularity of a sport is, why wouldn't you look at total global numbers?

Alonzo Magic
12-29-2008, 07:49 PM
How would that be more precise? If you want to find out what the global popularity of a sport is, why wouldn't you look at total global numbers?

Unfair disparity in population between different nations.

RaininThrees
12-29-2008, 08:43 PM
the nba might be more popular then the NHL but it is not by a wide gap that a lot of you think. The Nhl has rebounded since its work stopage and is seeing higher numbers at the gates outdrawing the Nba in many markets.

Average NBA attendance this year: 17,183 (89% capacity)
Average NHL Attendance this year: 17,198 (94 % capacity)

So, yes they aren't as far apart as you'd think in terms of attendance.

The issue is that Hockey is not as popular throughout the whole of the US as it is in the cities in which it is hosted. The cities that have teams like it, but not on a nation-wide scale.

The NBA and NHL both have markets which are thriving, and markets which are struggling. As for the OP's original assertion, this season the Blackhawks are drawing an average of 21,552, whereas the Bulls are playing in front of 21,413.

Here are the facts to-date:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2009
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance

Hammertime
12-29-2008, 08:57 PM

So? We are trying to figure out what sport is played/watched by more people. Does it matter where they live?

AJnAtlanta13
12-29-2008, 09:15 PM
I also think it depends on if your teams in your city are good. Because now in the ATL people are going crazy for the Hawks and Falcons and no matter what the Braves will be popular here, but not so much the Thrashers right now (there are people at the games, but they arne't being talked about locally as much as Hawks/Falcons.)

stephanieg
12-29-2008, 09:22 PM

:wtf:

76ers4life
12-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Because of the NFL.

Tuvi
12-30-2008, 01:34 AM
Thats probably because you live in Chicago, people talk about the bears???

JJ81
12-30-2008, 01:37 AM
My oppinion

1. NBA

2. NFL

3. NHL

4. MLB

sammdogg
12-30-2008, 01:41 AM
In my opinion and seems to be popular:
1)NFL

2/3)NBA/MLB

4)NHL
maybe thats just cuz im from LA lol

big baller
12-30-2008, 01:49 AM
No. Cricket, Rugby, etc.. are all more popular then basketball. So is hockey, because hockey includes field hockey, and field hockey is more popular then basketball, as it's played by billions of people (main sport in India and many asian countries).

Are you crazy? Like my father always used to say, "Stop making up statistics!!!!!"

I found this page, take a look at it:

Tell me where rugby and cricket are compared to basketball (http://www.johann-sandra.com/popular.htm)

I am not sure if it is 100% accurate, but still..

Oh and here is for America (http://media.www.uwtledger.com/media/storage/paper642/news/2003/12/04/Sports/Top-Five.Popular.Sports.In.America-576965-page2.shtml)

Alonzo Magic
12-30-2008, 11:59 PM
So? We are trying to figure out what sport is played/watched by more people. Does it matter where they live?

Of course it matters. For example, say 1/3 of the world's population lived in Melbourne, Australia. Now in Melbourne the No. 1 sport is AFL Football (Aussie rules Football) and it is pretty much a clear Number one in Melbourne and Melbourne only. Since they have a third of the pop, would that make AFL Football the biggest sport in the world?

canadianballer
12-31-2008, 12:33 AM
lol sorry to break it to some of you anti-hockey people but worldwide hockey is far more popular than basketball.

ryantheporchkid
12-31-2008, 12:36 AM
The 6 men debacle during the Boston is why basketball isn't more appreciated. The NBA should of died with Malace at the Palace. David Stern took all the grit of the game after that.

biisak
12-31-2008, 11:46 AM
#1 football (+indoor/beach) - played everywhere in the world and is the most popular in the majority of the countries worldwide.
#2 basketball - also played everywhere in the world and is amongst top 3 in most countries worldwide.
#3 tennis (+tabletennis) - played everywhere in the western culture, and tabletennis in Asia
#4 hockey (+field) - #1 sport in the scandinavian countries + canada, and fieldhockey is popular in Asia
#5 volleyball (+beach) - played everywhere worldwide, and the #1 sport @ any beach
#6 Motosports (includes F1, Nascar, WRC, etc) - popular Europe and the Americas.
#7 cricket + baseball - played in only 3 regions (south Asia, north America, and Australia) but these places have a huge combined population.

Then comes many things like Handball, Softball, Track&Field, Fighting sports, etc.

American football is not in the top 10.

First of all, you stick them together without any real logic. Tennis and table-tennis has nothing to do with each other and are popular in different regions of the world. Second, hockey is NOT the #1 sport in Scandinavia. Maybe, maybe in Finland (I suspect not but let

chains5000
12-31-2008, 11:49 AM
lol sorry to break it to some of you anti-hockey people but worldwide hockey is far more popular than basketball.
Worldwide?:oldlol: No way. Hockey isn't as popular as basketball in most Europe at least.

jrong
12-31-2008, 11:56 AM
There are no "barrier-crossing" mega-stars like MJ anymore. Kobe had Colorado, LeBron has... tattoos(?), and the media treats Wade like he doesn't exist.

LJJ
12-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Worldwide?:oldlol: No way. Hockey isn't as popular as basketball in most Europe at least.

It's pretty popular in Scandinavia and some other countries like Czech republic.

But in the rest of Europe they usually have barely ten teams in the entire country.

biisak
12-31-2008, 12:09 PM
It's pretty popular in Scandinavia and some other countries like Czech republic.

But in the rest of Europe they usually have barely ten teams in the entire country.

Stop frikkin referring to it as popular in Scandinavia. First of all, we

LJJ
12-31-2008, 12:13 PM
[quote=biisak]Stop frikkin referring to it as popular in Scandinavia. First of all, we

Kebab Stall
12-31-2008, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=biisak]Stop frikkin referring to it as popular in Scandinavia. First of all, we

biisak
12-31-2008, 12:41 PM
What?

"It's not popular" "Well okay, arena's are packed, but it's not popular"

:ohwell:

In Sweden and maybe Finland (I don

biisak
12-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Isn't rally car driving popular up in Scandinavia? F1 is also big there isn't it?

Well, define popular. Obviously not a lot of people drive Rally or F1. I follow the F1 but it

chains5000
12-31-2008, 12:46 PM

I know, that's why I said in "most" Europe.

chains5000
12-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Finland however has Kimi Raikanen who won the F1 last year (great, GREAT event) and is probably one of the most famous "athletes" in Finland. Does that make F1 big in Scandinavia?
Don't think so, it's just people following someone cause he wins, not cause they like the sport. As soon as there's nobody succesful from Finland in the F1, people will stop watching.
It's the same thing here with the f*cking Fernando Alonso.

biisak
12-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Official numbers (for Sweden):

On TV
1. Soccer
2. Equstrian
3. Track and field
4. Icehockey
5. Alpine skiing
6. Skiing
7. Biathlon
8. Motorsports (cars)
9. Golf
10. Figure skating

* Note, this only involves the four largest TV-channels so even though it

Lakas Fan Yo
12-31-2008, 03:25 PM
I think we should point something out here. A lot of people keep talking about the popularity of basketball and implying it is directly related to the NBA popularity. Not the same thing.

I spend half the year in US and half in Italy. First, in the US LOTS of basketball fans are college basketball fans and don't even like the NBA. Second, the NBA is so down in popularity these days in Europe.

Sure at one time it was really popular in Europe like Jordan/Bird/Magic era but not now. Although basketball is a very popular sport in the Mediterranean (I would guess 2nd overall to soccer) and also in the Balkans (I would guess it is the #1 most popular there) - it is not simply the NBA that is popular.

The NBA is simply not as important in terms of basketball in these areas as the Euroleague or the European Championships are. So basketball may be doing OK there, but that really isn't NBA related so much.

The NBA is just getting some market for people that want to follow their players in the NBA (mainly Spanish and Slovenian fans), other than that there is simply no way you could compare the popularity of NBA over there to say teams like Maccabi, Panathinaikos or Olympiacos, because it's not even close.

Hammertime
12-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Of course it matters. For example, say 1/3 of the world's population lived in Melbourne, Australia. Now in Melbourne the No. 1 sport is AFL Football (Aussie rules Football) and it is pretty much a clear Number one in Melbourne and Melbourne only. Since they have a third of the pop, would that make AFL Football the biggest sport in the world?

Of course it would! The biggest sport in the world is the one followed by the biggest number of people. For f*ck's sake. Just like the most spoken language in the world is the one spoken by most people, not one spoken in largest number of countries.

dhenk
12-31-2008, 04:54 PM

And you

canadianballer
01-03-2009, 08:21 PM
:roll: dude come on.especially in europe thats the worst argument to make :oldlol:

sweden , russia, czech are all top fleet hockey countries

actually im not even sure if russia is in europe but whatever lol

Mamba
01-03-2009, 09:02 PM
the NBA has been dropping down over the last 8-10 years because of the domination of the western conference. now your probably asking yourself wtf does this have anything to do with anything. i'll explain.

uve had the two popular teams in the lakers and the kings in the early part of this decade battling it out. but with the other teams such as the spurs, mavs, suns, houston and minnesotta that were winning alot. did not have huge fan bases.

the mavericks final's against the heat got less ratings then the cowboys preseason games.
san antonio's style of play has been boring there jerseys are boring and they do not appeal to the casual fan.
houston rockets and minnesotta same deal, not a big fan base in there cities, every time i watched there games i always thought the crowd was half empty because it looks so boring.

but now with the eastern conference rising again you have the teams that made basketball popular striving again, the orlando magic(shaq helped with this), the Boston Celtics, Atlanta Hawks, Detroit Pistons, even philidelphia, new jersey, new york and chicago are becoming exciting again.

the eastern conference has the teams that could have the biggest fan base because of the history that was built within the eastern conference teams over the years e.g.

Detroit Pistons: the rise of Isiah and Dumars
Chicago Bulls: the house that Michael Built
New York and New Jersey: Constantly referred to as Basketball Mecca
Philidelphia: Allen Iverson and Julius Erving
Boston Celtics: Bill Russell, Larry Bird 'nuff said
Orlando Magic: Shaq and Penny working together. Tracy Mcgradies great seasons there

now with these teams history the cities they are in already appreciates them and with these teams also succeeding it makes basketball strive more, hence basketball achieving ratings it hasn't in years.

stephanieg
01-03-2009, 10:58 PM
NBA needs to show levitra and viagra commercials. Guys want to be assured they can get a hard on whenever they need and if they can associate that with basketball like they do with football...watch out world. And wives.

Rameek
01-04-2009, 12:54 AM
The NBA isnt so popular because it has no international star power...
The only reason it was popular in the 80's was because of 2 big markets in LA and Boston with Magic and Bird. Then the NBA god MJ. After MJ pretty much the NBA is dead.

More people know about And1 than the NBA lol

Soccer and Baseball will always dominate world popularity because they are international sports...

In American gambling will always take precedence so Football will always be number 1. Baseball number 2 because its America's sport with the most history.
Everything else will be a distant 3rd....:cheers:

Geandily
01-04-2009, 02:38 AM
All of the projections that I have read indicate that the NBA is going to surpass MLB in a few years, not sure where all of this "THE NBA IS DEAD" talk is coming from.

Basketball in general is getting more popular, it's the second most popular sport in a lot of eastern European countries and in some (Lithuania for example) it is the #1 sport. All sports are getting more popular though which is kind of strange..

As for everyone predicting that any sport will "always" be popular: you are stupid. Look at the sports of old that NOBODY cares about anymore

Former #2 sport: Boxing - who cares about boxing anymore? Can you name more than 3 boxers?

Former #3 sport: Roller Derby - what?

Former #6 sport: Rodeo - see what I mean?

Sports die, different sports become popular, that's how it goes. With Baseball being removed from the Olympics I predict it to die, and soon. With the NFL Owners deciding to opt out of the salary cap deals it's possible that the NFL could take a huge hit soon as well. The NBA Finals last year were the highest rated games in NBA history, it seems pretty obvious to me that the NBA is on the up.

stephanieg
01-04-2009, 04:51 AM
The NBA Finals last year were the highest rated games in NBA history

Not even close.

AirGauge23
01-04-2009, 04:56 AM
Not even close.

That would be the 98 Finals.

They got an 18+

TheAnchorman
01-04-2009, 05:19 AM
The finals ratings have increased from 2007, but knowing the ratings for the Spurs and Cavs during that year, the NBA really had nowhere to go but up. Just hope that they'll keep increasing as the NBA is poised to enter another decade that is likely to have a way more popular NBA than this one.

Lebron Bryant
05-17-2010, 06:58 PM
No it isn't the least popular sport. NASCAR is...

godofgods
05-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Coz Stern keep riggin it.

Batz
05-17-2010, 07:14 PM
No it isn't the least popular sport. NASCAR is...
It's not even a sport so it doesn't count.

Lebron Bryant
05-17-2010, 07:16 PM
It's not even a sport so it doesn't count.

Oh I forgot about that:roll:

tommy3
05-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Now you know why Stern wants a new MJ

ODEN>DURANT
05-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Nba > Nhl > Mls > Nfl > Mlb

Lebron Bryant
05-17-2010, 07:28 PM

Lebron James is what Stern thinks is the next "MJ"

Lebron Bryant
05-17-2010, 07:29 PM
English FC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > Mls

Fixed it for you

TonyJones
05-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Nationally I would say popularity of sports goes like this:

1.) NFL
2.) NBA
3.) NHL
4.) MLB

StepDad Delonte
05-17-2010, 07:33 PM
the nba needs a juicy player scandal with said player playing in nba finals.

jstern
05-17-2010, 07:34 PM
I guess the reason is Jordan. The year he left the ratings went down the drain. So now the question is what makes Jordan more appealing than a Lebron. It's all about image. The NBA might seem to ghetto and many people just can't relate, so feel less interested to watch. In my opinion.

Lebron Bryant
05-17-2010, 07:38 PM
I guess the reason is Jordan. The year he left the ratings went down the drain. So now the question is what makes Jordan more appealing than a Lebron. It's all about image. The NBA might seem to ghetto and many people just can't relate, so feel less interested to watch. In my opinion.

I think we have a winner here.

Flashbeanie
05-17-2010, 07:40 PM
In the long-run, the NBA has the potential to be the 2nd most popular sport internationally. The NBA and soccer clubs can cross-promote each other with so many foreign-born NBA players befriending soccer players. Nash's role in bankrolling an expansion MLS team will be a boon for that league. I see no reason why it can't work in the other direction, if big name soccer players start to get involved with basketball promotion overseas. David Stern was very smart to push the NBA internationally.

the_chosen_1
05-17-2010, 07:50 PM

MLB teams worth is based on the fact that they play 81 home games and seat twice as many fans as NBA arenas. I think opinion wise though that the NBA ranks higher in fan interest.

jstern
05-17-2010, 07:53 PM
No you know why the rules where change to make it easier for perimeter players to play more like MJ.

Lebron Bryant
In the long-run, the NBA has the potential to be the 2nd most popular sport internationally. The NBA and soccer clubs can cross-promote each other with so many foreign-born NBA players befriending soccer players. Nash's role in bankrolling an expansion MLS team will be a boon for that league. I see no reason why it can't work in the other direction, if big name soccer players start to get involved with basketball promotion overseas. David Stern was very smart to push the NBA internationally.

I think it will get more popular internationally in the future.

Funnyfuka

personnaly i dont like being associated with rappers, ghetto bling bling etc, basketball is seen by most as a "black"'man sport only. The whole wiger attitude associated with basketball hurts a lot.

EastCaliChillin
When you add the whole World. Basketball might only come 2nd to baseball.
Football is mch bigger in US. But have no fan-base outside of america

RiPPn
05-17-2010, 07:55 PM
I think most people realize the NBA should be called sports entertainment much like the WWE, as the officiating has to much power to sway outcome. Also the Donaghy situation was so glazed over that only hush money could have caused that much silence.

When the Lakers are in the finals 50% of the time how does it make it fun to be a fan of any other team.

Oh and David Stern is a douche.

Lebron Bryant
05-17-2010, 08:09 PM
personnaly i dont like being associated with rappers, ghetto bling bling etc, basketball is seen by most as a "black"'man sport only. The whole wiger attitude associated with basketball hurts a lot.

There isn't a ****** attitude to basketball.

MMM
05-17-2010, 08:21 PM
the nba needs a juicy player scandal with said player playing in nba finals.

lets get Delonte West on the case. now only if there was a way to get him in the same room with Vanessa.

bagelred
05-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Because Lebron is not on the Knicks.

Close thread.

I said CLOSE THREAD!!!!

Math2
05-17-2010, 08:24 PM

I'd rather watch Euroleague than baseball or hockey. Golf too, in my opinion all that ****'s wack.

NBA is gaining popularity worldwide faster than any other sport.

:no: euroleague isnt that bad...and neither is hockey

ODEN>DURANT
05-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Fixed it for you

Yeah, but I was just talking about American Sport Leagues.

t-rex
05-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Sorry to offend anyone... but is this thread serious?

First to compare the NBA to hockey is laughable. Hockey is not among the top sports in the country. In fact Hockey TV ratings are comparable to WNBA TV ratings. (Go ahead, look it up yourself). The lowest rated TV program in the history of NBC is a National Hockey League game. The sport complains frequently that is often ignored by sports media such as ESPN. But inn reality based on the numbers, it is actually over-covered. Hockey isn't nearly as popular as even seasoned sports journalists belief it is.

There are a lot of sports in this country more popular than Hockey. Not just the NFL, MLB and NBA.

The truth is the NBA is the fourth most popular sport in this country. And the NBA is this/close to MLB for 3rd in popularity. TV ratings for the NBA have increased over the last few years. The NBA had a down period from 1999 to about 2004. But the last few years have been excellent. The NBA is also the only major team sport played in the United States that has growing appeal worldwide.

Here are the top 5 sports in the country based on TV ratings, fan attendance, merchandise sales and general league revenue.

1) NFL-#1 by a long shot. The NFL operates in a different world than any other sport in the country. It's not even close. The NFL is America's game. To evencompare another sport in this country to the power of the NFL is foolish. The numbers are even more lopsided than you think they are.

2) College Football- Only the NFL has grown faster over the last few years. There is widespread belief that the NFL is so big and so popular that it is has carried college football to new heights with its coat tails. Only the NFL draws a larger sports audience than the College National Championship game each year.

3) MLB- Baseball is the third most popular sport in the country. But their demographics are terrible. (Baseball fans are more likely to be older and whiter than the general population.) The TV ratings for baseball have been terrible. And attendance this year is at historical lows for many major teams. (Please go ahead and look that up to.) FACT: In direct apples to apples comparison looking at MLB games on FOX and the NBA on ABC over the last year, the NBA drew more than 1 million more viewers than Major League Baseball did.

NBA regular season games draw better TV audiences than MLB games do.

Playoff ratings for NBA are slighter higher than they are for baseball. The baseball World Series and NBA finals over the last 5 years have delivered comparable audiences. I would have to look at my numbers, but I do know in 2008 the NBA finals (Lakers/Celtics) drew more TV viewers than the World Series that year.

To be honest, you could probably debate MLB or NBA for 3rd place. But most business journals and other "experts" regard MLB as #3 in the country.

4) NBA-TNT has seen tremendous growth for the playoffs over the last two years. Several games have hit near all time highs in cable viewers. ABC's national NBA TV package drew more viewers than FOX's MLB TV package last year.

5) NASCAR- No sport has fallen faster in the last 3 years than NASCAR. 6 or 7 years ago, they were literally releasing press releases stating they were the 2nd most popular sport in the country. My how times have changed! NASCAR TV ratings are down. At one point this year, NASCAR had a nearly year long streak where ever race on TV had a decline in audience over the previous year. Attendance is off. No sport (outside of the LPGA) is currently declining in popularity faster.

Just missing the cut...

College Basketball-Duke/Butler final stopped a ratings skid for the Final Four tournament. Regular season ratings are a big struggle

PGA Tour- Their decline is an easy and very apparent call. The TV ratings for Golf look as though they are going to be rough for the quite a while. Sponers are becoming increasingly diffcult to find.

rs98762001
05-17-2010, 09:01 PM
World Series ratings for the most part still outdraw NBA Finals ratings. The years that NBA wins is usually when it has a large-market team(s) like Lakers/Celtics in the Finals, and MLB has small market teams in the World Series. But the difference between the two is not so large, and in terms of general ratings over the course of the season NBA does better. I think MLB is still ahead in overall popularity nationally, but not by much.

Internationally, soccer is obviously king, but basketball is the most popular American sport worldwide.

RonRon37
05-17-2010, 09:06 PM
MLB? bwuahahahaha F*CK baseball thats the worse sport ever

t-rex
05-17-2010, 09:21 PM
NBA Finals TV ratings (Last 5 years)

2009-8.4

2008-9.3

2007-6.2 (ouch!)

2006-8.5

2005-8.2

Average NBA Finals TV rating.... 8.1 Nielsen Rating

World Series TV ratings (Last 5 years)

2009- 11.7

2008- 8.5

2007- 10.7

2006- 10.1

2005- 10.7

Average World Series TV rating..... 10.3 Nielsen Rating

The difference in TV viewership for the World Series vs the NBA Finals isn't nearly as great as most probably believe it to be. And as I pointed out in my earlier post, in 2008 the Celtics/Lakers NBA Finals drew larger TV audiences than the World Series did that same year.

t-rex
05-17-2010, 09:24 PM
In reality its the second most popular behind football. Baseball's popularity has steadily declined for quite a while. while NBA has been about the same since Jordan has left.
Worldwide, NBA is much much more popular then NFL or MLB though.

College Football is the second most popular sport in the country. That is fact and not debatable.

MLB is the second most popular pro sports league in the country. But no sport in America is bigger than football.

t-rex
05-17-2010, 09:25 PM
World Series ratings for the most part still outdraw NBA Finals ratings. The years that NBA wins is usually when it has a large-market team(s) like Lakers/Celtics in the Finals, and MLB has small market teams in the World Series. But the difference between the two is not so large, and in terms of general ratings over the course of the season NBA does better. I think MLB is still ahead in overall popularity nationally, but not by much.

Internationally, soccer is obviously king, but basketball is the most popular American sport worldwide.

Good post. And you are right on the money!

Awkrewen
05-17-2010, 09:26 PM
While NBA is more popular then NHL it isnt as distant as most are making it out to be. In a lot of north markets the NBA has been passed by the NHL in both tv ratings and attendance capacity. In the 15 markets that they compete, New York, New Jersey, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, Atlanta, Bay Area, Boston, Detroit, Phoenix, Washington, Minneapolis, Denver, Miami, the NHL has better tv ratings in 6 of them and better attendance in 9 of them. That is 6 of 15 markets where NHL is just more popular, and 3 more markets where they draw better then the NBA team but have lower tv ratings.

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/2010/04/22/nba-vs-nhl-attendance-and-ratings-in-markets-where-teams-compete/

Minneapolis, Detroit, Washington, Philadelphia, Chicago, and New Jersey are all markets where NHL is doing better then NBA with New York, Boston, and the Bay Area all having better attendance.

Little other fact is the Red Wings have the best ratings out of any of the basketball or hockey teams, even better then the Lakers, Celtics or Suns.

Lebron Bryant
05-18-2010, 06:16 AM
While NBA is more popular then NHL it isnt as distant as most are making it out to be. In a lot of north markets the NBA has been passed by the NHL in both tv ratings and attendance capacity. In the 15 markets that they compete, New York, New Jersey, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, Atlanta, Bay Area, Boston, Detroit, Phoenix, Washington, Minneapolis, Denver, Miami, the NHL has better tv ratings in 6 of them and better attendance in 9 of them. That is 6 of 15 markets where NHL is just more popular, and 3 more markets where they draw better then the NBA team but have lower tv ratings.

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/2010/04/22/nba-vs-nhl-attendance-and-ratings-in-markets-where-teams-compete/

Minneapolis, Detroit, Washington, Philadelphia, Chicago, and New Jersey are all markets where NHL is doing better then NBA with New York, Boston, and the Bay Area all having better attendance.

Little other fact is the Red Wings have the best ratings out of any of the basketball or hockey teams, even better then the Lakers, Celtics or Suns.

Wow... interesting read. I notice on threads online that hockey fans love to hate anything basketball, where basketball fans don't put out that many stuff like that.

Go Getter
05-18-2010, 06:18 AM

Dude no way are the Hawks bigger than the Bulls in Chicago...Hawks are on a Stanley Cup run so that's what it be...I will say no more do not want to jinx my boys!

Lebron Bryant
05-18-2010, 06:22 AM
:no: euroleague isnt that bad...and neither is baseball

Fixed it for me.

Lebron Bryant
05-18-2010, 06:26 AM
Looking at this way for MLB and NBA, it looks just about the same.

MLB has lose the younger ADD generation, where NBA has lose the old white person fan.

Andrei89
05-18-2010, 06:30 AM

After Man U i guess

Lebron Bryant
05-18-2010, 06:58 AM
After Man U i guess

You are right Andrei89.

OKC Adonis
05-18-2010, 07:42 AM
NBA Finals TV ratings (Last 5 years)

2009-8.4

2008-9.3

2007-6.2 (ouch!)

2006-8.5

2005-8.2

Average NBA Finals TV rating.... 8.1 Nielsen Rating

World Series TV ratings (Last 5 years)

2009- 11.7

2008- 8.5

2007- 10.7

2006- 10.1

2005- 10.7

Average World Series TV rating..... 10.3 Nielsen Rating

The difference in TV viewership for the World Series vs the NBA Finals isn't nearly as great as most probably believe it to be. And as I pointed out in my earlier post, in 2008 the Celtics/Lakers NBA Finals drew larger TV audiences than the World Series did that same year.

ER.. thats a big difference. Like a 25% viewing difference.

Lebron Bryant
05-18-2010, 02:29 PM
The NBA Championship did beat the World Series once, so if a Rays-Phillies happens again than the NBA could beat it in tv ratings.

JohnnyBravo5
05-18-2010, 02:46 PM
In Atl

1. Georgia Football

2. Georgia Tech Football
3. Falcons
4. Braves
5. Hawks

6. Thrashers.

Lebron Bryant
05-18-2010, 03:03 PM
In Boston

1 Red Sox
2 Patriots

3 Celtics

4 Bruins

5 Anything else

t-rex
05-18-2010, 07:13 PM
In Indiana....

1-Colts... Number 1 by a long shot. They have converted Indiana from a basketball state to a football powerhouse in just 10 years. The Colts own this town. TV ratings are huge. There is up to a 20,000 person season ticket waiting list for Colts home games. Blue jerseys are all over the place, all year round.

2-NASCAR

3-College Basketball... Very close to NASCAR, could go either way. IU basketball has been down in recent years.

4-College Football... Lots of Notre Dame fans here. Irish football games get better TV ratings in the Indianapolis market than almost any other top metro area in the country.

5-NBA... The decline of the Pacers here is remarkable. There are articles in the newspaper talking about how the Pacers might move. I'm not sure the people here even care. In the 1990s, the Pacers were a hot item. Indianapolis was Reggie Miller's city. As late as 1998 the Pacers sold out all 41 home games. Today I don't think they would sell out a playoff game. When Miller left town, he took the NBA with him. It's very sad. The Pacers still have a terrible reputation here. The team is not well liked. Their downfall was both swift and complete.

6-Baseball... Like everywhere else outside of the Northeast and a few large cities, MLB is dying on the vine here.

Hockey.... what's that?

I like the direction this thread is going. It will be interesting to see local angles from other areas.

Lebron Bryant
05-18-2010, 07:46 PM
In Indiana....

1-Colts... Number 1 by a long shot. They have converted Indiana from a basketball state to a football powerhouse in just 10 years. The Colts own this town. TV ratings are huge. There is up to a 20,000 person season ticket waiting list for Colts home games. Blue jerseys are all over the place, all year round.

2-NASCAR

3-College Basketball... Very close to NASCAR, could go either way. IU basketball has been down in recent years.

4-College Football... Lots of Notre Dame fans here. Irish football games get better TV ratings in the Indianapolis market than almost any other top metro area in the country.

5-NBA... The decline of the Pacers here is remarkable. There are articles in the newspaper talking about how the Pacers might move. I'm not sure the people here even care. In the 1990s, the Pacers were a hot item. Indianapolis was Reggie Miller's city. As late as 1998 the Pacers sold out all 41 home games. Today I don't think they would sell out a playoff game. When Miller left town, he took the NBA with him. It's very sad. The Pacers still have a terrible reputation here. The team is not well liked. Their downfall was both swift and complete.

6-Baseball... Like everywhere else outside of the Northeast and a few large cities, MLB is dying on the vine here.

Hockey.... what's that?

I like the direction this thread is going. It will be interesting to see local angles from other areas.

It's sad that the Pacers aren't as well like for a basketball state. I think the Colts will be similer once Peyton is gone and does the same thing as Reggie did to Indiana.

t-rex
05-18-2010, 08:37 PM
ER.. thats a big difference. Like a 25% viewing difference.

Good call.

But I bet if you ask the average sports fan out in the street, they would tell you that the World Series draws double the audience or greater.

The fact remains that on average over the last 5 years, for every 100 people watching the World Series, 75 are watching the NBA Finals. And the NBA demographics are far younger than those watching baseball.

t-rex
05-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Just for information and comparison purposes, here are the Hockey TV ratings for the Stanely Cup Finals.

2008-2.6

2007-1.2

2006-1.8

2005- NA

2004-2.2

2003-2.4

Lebron Bryant
05-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Just for information and comparison purposes, here are the Hockey TV ratings for the Stanely Cup Finals.

2008-2.6

2007-1.2

2006-1.8

2005- NA

2004-2.2

2003-2.4

Looks like it never was that huge of a sport in USA. WWF is more popular than hockey.

Big League
05-18-2010, 09:10 PM

Here's how I perceive the popularity of the nine NJ/NY pro teams. This is based on coverage on WFAN, newspapers, and people I come across in everyday activities and what not. I can't go anywhere and not see a Yankees fan, but seeing somebody wearing Islanders gear is a very, very rare sight. To be fair, I live in central New Jersey very close to the Atlantic Ocean. I'm a good hour and a half drive away from where the Islanders play.

1. Yankees

2. Mets

3. Giants
4. Jets

5. Knicks
6. Nets

7. Rangers
8. Devils

9. Islanders

Batz
05-18-2010, 09:11 PM

2008-2.6

2007-1.2

2006-1.8

2005- NA

2004-2.2

2003-2.4
I lol'd.

Big League
05-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Good call.

But I bet if you ask the average sports fan out in the street, they would tell you that the World Series draws double the audience or greater.

The fact remains that on average over the last 5 years, for every 100 people watching the World Series, 75 are watching the NBA Finals. And the NBA demographics are far younger than those watching baseball.
A big problem for baseball is that it is a very regional sport. For example, baseball is huge in my neck of the woods from youth baseball (I just moved from a town that produced a Little League World Series championship team) all the way up to the following of the Yankees, Mets, and Phillies (I'm close enough to NY and Phila that all three teams get covered in the local paper).

Generally, people in NJ and NY don't bother to watch the World Series if a local team is not involved. Ratings have shown this to be the case.

We'll watch any NFL games, though. The NBA Finals ratings are usually good around here, too.

Conversely, Yankees-Mets World Series in 2000? Horrible ratings outside the NYC metro area.

I guess it's hard to get into a baseball team that you didn't see much from all season.

The NBA is different because it's a league driven by superstars. MLB is not as dependent upon individual players. MLB fans support teams more so than NBA fans do.

MagicalLA
05-18-2010, 09:18 PM
The big difference here is:

While nobody outside of the United States gives a sh*t about football and baseball, the NBA is sure very popular among fans of the entire world (specially in Europe and Argentina), only behind soccer, (the real football).

Lakas Fan Yo
05-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Because it's rigged with crooked refs and a mafia commissioner. Because ESPN ruins the whole sport by only talking about players instead of teams.

Stern said it himself, "our job is to promote LeBron".

Because half the players are covered with a hundred tattoos and are literally among the ugliest humans on the planet and no normal person can stand to look at them.

Because the league is clearly inherently racist against anyone that is not a black American.

That is why the league is ruined.

t-rex
05-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Here are the Super Bowl ratings (NFL Championship) just to complete the ratings circle.

2010-45.0.... That number translates into 106.5 million people! The Saints/Colts Super Bowl is the most watched TV program in American broadcast history. Most amazingly, the game involved 2 small market teams (Indianapolis/New Orleans) yet still attracted the largest TV audience ever.

2009-42.0

2008-43.1

2007-42.6

2006-41.6

2005-41.1

t-rex
05-18-2010, 09:48 PM
A big problem for baseball is that it is a very regional sport. For example, baseball is huge in my neck of the woods from youth baseball (I just moved from a town that produced a Little League World Series championship team) all the way up to the following of the Yankees, Mets, and Phillies (I'm close enough to NY and Phila that all three teams get covered in the local paper).

Generally, people in NJ and NY don't bother to watch the World Series if a local team is not involved. Ratings have shown this to be the case.

We'll watch any NFL games, though. The NBA Finals ratings are usually good around here, too.

Conversely, Yankees-Mets World Series in 2000? Horrible ratings outside the NYC metro area.

I guess it's hard to get into a baseball team that you didn't see much from all season.

The NBA is different because it's a league driven by superstars. MLB is not as dependent upon individual players. MLB fans support teams more so than NBA fans do.

Good call with baseball becoming more regional.

I think because so much of the media and power structure is based in the Northeast, they don't have a sense of what is really going on in the rest of the country in regards to baseball.

For instance if ESPN were based here (Indiana) instead of Bristol, there is no way there would be that much baseball coverage.

If you live in Boston or New York, baseball is doing fine. But living there might give you a warped view as to how the sport is doing nationally. It's only natural, everyone is affected by their surroundings. But if you live in Boston or New York and think that the MLB is that popular everywhere, you are kidding yourself.

I live in Indiana. Here, baseball doesn't exist unless you are collecting social security and can recall the days of the "Big Red Machine."

I use to live in South Carolina. Baseball was non-existent there too.

Today, summertime in Indiana means 3 things. The Indy 500 (May). The Brickyard 400 (NASCAR/August). And Colts training camp! And not necessarily in that order.

The MLB has almost no presence here. Especially among the young.

Lakas Fan Yo
05-18-2010, 10:01 PM
The big difference here is:

While nobody outside of the United States gives a sh*t about football and baseball, the NBA is sure very popular among fans of the entire world (specially in Europe and Argentina), only behind soccer, (the real football).

How many times does this lie have to be disproved here? The NBA is NOT popular in Europe. The Euroleague is way more popular in Europe than the NBA. This is just a pure fantasy myth that the NBA is popular in Europe.

And baseball is hugely popular in Korea, Japan and Latin America. You clearly have your facts wrong.

Nets fan 93
05-18-2010, 10:05 PM
too many rebuiding teams out there.. after this offseason( Huge FA Market)... teams should even out a bit

EricForman
05-18-2010, 10:47 PM

1.) Bears
2.) Cubs
3.) White Sox
4.) Blackhawks
5.) Bulls

Sports...

1.) NFL
2.) MLB
3.) NHL
4.) NBA

it isn't all about America. the NBA's future in the rest of the world is better than other US pro sports, easily. Especially in Asia, (heres a piece in slam written by yours truly here (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/05/hong-kongs-love-of-the-game/)) where the NBA is blowing up. US Football has no following outside of north america.

Stern is doing just fine.

t-rex
05-18-2010, 11:10 PM
it isn't all about America. the NBA's future in the rest of the world is better than other US pro sports, easily. Especially in Asia, (heres a piece of slam written by yours truly here (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/05/hong-kongs-love-of-the-game/)) where the NBA is blowing up. US Football has no following outside of north america.

Great article.

omarnyc
05-19-2010, 12:02 AM
My oppinion

1. NBA

2. NFL

3. NHL

4. MLB

are you serious? people plan their lives around football season, the superbowl is like a national holiday. the nba is a star driven league, with the nfl people identify with the team. casual sports fans really dont care about basketball no more, no matter how much lebron is promoted as a global icon, non-nba fans dont care bout him. everybody knew jordan,magic,bird,ect.another problem is alot of people feel the nba is kinda scripted, the same teams year after year, the refs are too involved in the outcome of too many games, alot of players get the big guaranteed contracts and dont seem like they play hard enough.the nfl is just a more competitive sport.

omarnyc
05-19-2010, 12:09 AM
it isn't all about America. the NBA's future in the rest of the world is better than other US pro sports, easily. Especially in Asia, (heres a piece in slam written by yours truly here (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/05/hong-kongs-love-of-the-game/)) where the NBA is blowing up. US Football has no following outside of north america.

bein that we are in america it is all about america. if you ask every nba player would they rather have the #1 sport in america or the #1 sport in every country besides america what do you think they would say?

raiderfan19
05-19-2010, 12:21 AM
The nba isnt all that close to mlb in terms of popularity in the us.

Lebron Bryant
05-19-2010, 05:48 AM

It sorta close if you count out places like New York,Boston, and St Louis.

Lebron Bryant
07-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Former #2 sport: Boxing - who cares about boxing anymore? Can you name more than 3 boxers?

Mayweather, Cotto, and Pacquiao.

PowerGlove
07-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Baseball is dying slowly.

Hoopz2332
05-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Baseball is dying slowly.

true story..right now ill say interms of popularity in the USA

1.NFl

2.MLB (w/NBA on it's heels)

3.NBA

4. NHL:oldlol:

Legend of Josh
05-21-2011, 03:02 PM
IMO, the NBA endured some challenging times in the past decade or so here in the states, but worldwide the sport has experienced a phenomenal boom and continues to grow. In recent years, the NBA has rebounded themselves into a premier league again with the emergence of so many rising stars and talent.

As many veteran superstars begin to decline, even more 'I got next' superstars are filling the void. There's still a significant lack of talented big men in the league, but at least we're seeing superstar caliber point guards on the rise. It's not just wing men and SF's getting all the limelight.

I see big things happening for the NBA in the years to come. During the Jordan era, you could argue the NBA was right up there with MLB if not second to the NFL, but baseball is simply one of America's favorite past-times and easily the most notable in all of sports.

bdreason
05-21-2011, 03:06 PM
NBA is more popular than NHL, and is gaining on MLB.

NBA might not be doing as well with the veteran fans, but it's doing great recruiting new, young fans.

brownmamba00
05-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Here in London:

1.Football
2.Rugby
3.Whatever

In my native country Turkey:

1.Football

2.Basketball
3.Boxing

DeronMillsap
05-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Hockey has gain some interest from me as of late.

For me...
1. Basketball
--1a. NBA
--1b. NCAA
2. NFL Football
3. MMA
4. NHL
(2-4 could switch soon or later)

I only watch October baseball so I don't really consider myself a baseball fan.

Kobe24Clutch
05-21-2011, 03:18 PM
For me
1. Real Football
2.NBA

3.NFL(Fake Football)

Scholar
05-21-2011, 03:44 PM
For me
1. Real Football
2.NBA

3.NFL(Fake Football)

No, for you it's:

1. Kobe Bryant's dick
2. Real football
3. NBA

4. NFL (fake football)

U mad? ;)
Just f*ckin' with you.

SALFORD-RED
05-21-2011, 06:32 PM
casual sports fans really dont care about basketball no more.

this is such a true statement. most of the people i associate with are football (ie soccer) or rugby fans and if ever the nba or basketball is brought into the conversation the general attitude will be "meh" it used to be good when jordan played or something like that.

as much as the new gen of superstars are good, they really arent capturing the imagination of the casual, non basketball fan like magic, jordan etc.

Eat Like A Bosh
05-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Really? I hardly see that. Basketball is still more popular than hockey though.
DHow is baseball more popular?
I hate Baseball. It's a stupid sport.

flipogb
05-21-2011, 09:40 PM
the NBA is more popular around the world

than the NLF / MLB / NHL

thats what really matters

Eat Like A Bosh
05-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Personal Preference:
1.Basketball
1A- NBA
1B- NCAA

2. NFL Football

3. NHL Hockey (Fan of the Detroit Red Wings)

4.. Boxing/MMA any fighting sport

I hate baseball. Golf and Nascar are both pretty stupid sports.

Ass Dan
05-22-2011, 02:30 AM
Here in SoCal it usually goes Lakers>>>>>Dodgers>>>>>USC Football>>>>the rest...but with disappointing seasons this year it might be interesting to see if something changes.

Stuckey
05-22-2011, 02:54 AM
in vancouver

it's hockey > mma > boxing > nba

but most my friends like nba, i really dont meet a lot of vancouver natives that are into basketball at all

Swaggin916
05-22-2011, 07:18 AM
Actually, NASCAR is 2nd to NFL in ratings and MMA draws higher ratings than NBA and NHL on a regular basis, even when its on PPV. Problem with the NBA is there is not enough parity. You know its going to be one of the same handful of teams in the Finals every year. There have only been SEVEN NBA teams to win the championship in the past 25 years.

NFL and MLB are much less predictable and every new year, fans of every team think they have a legitimate chance to win it all. You dont have that in the NBA and havent for many years.

That's not it. It's a star driven league and people want to see stars... and it's been proven in many studies that parody is not what the masses want, they want to see the big teams. The NBA is only getting more popular because the stars are more high profile and there isn't much Parody. MLB there is too much Parody... NFL has a mix of both and that makes it such a good sport. Every year it's Brady and Manning... but then you get teams like the Chiefs who come out of nowhere, and a team like the Saint's or Falcons who make a huge improvement. It's like clockwork and it's brilliant. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and it has no parody. The EPL is the most popular and watched league in the world and it virtually no parody.... Until maybe 2 years ago when Liverpool went into the shitter a little bit... it was Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, and Arsenal at the top of the table like clockwork. Of course fans of other teams aren't thrilled with it, but most fans are either bandwagon or casual and they want to see the big teams.

LJJ
05-22-2011, 07:23 AM
That's not it. It's a star driven league and people want to see stars... and it's been proven in many studies that parody is not what the masses want, they want to see the big teams. The NBA is only getting more popular because the stars are more high profile and there isn't much Parody. MLB there is too much Parody... NFL has a mix of both and that makes it such a good sport. Every year it's Brady and Manning... but then you get teams like the Chiefs who come out of nowhere, and a team like the Saint's or Falcons who make a huge improvement. It's like clockwork and it's brilliant. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and it has no parody. The EPL is the most popular and watched league in the world and it virtually no parody.... Until maybe 2 years ago when Liverpool went into the shitter a little bit... it was Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, and Arsenal at the top of the table like clockwork. Of course fans of other teams aren't thrilled with it, but most fans are either bandwagon or casual and they want to see the big teams.

:oldlol: Epic use of the word "parody"

Swaggin916
05-22-2011, 07:45 AM
not sure if serious.

Toizumi
05-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Well.. at least you don't live in Holland (like me), where it's:
1. Soccer
2. Iceskating (during winter)
3. Swimming
4. Cycling
5. Tennis
6. Fieldockey
.. and a whole bunch of other sports before you get to basketball. They haven't shown NBA scores/highlights on national TV for a while now (there's one sports channel NBA games/highlights but you've gotta pay for it). For all the other sports I mentioned they show live footage and games (wel, not hockey mayb). Ridiculous. They show entire marathons, but never a fcking NBA highlight :facepalm (not that I ever watch TV anyomre, but it's still stupid) Holland has the worst 'national' sports :banghead:

Toizumi
05-22-2011, 09:08 AM
I think we should point something out here. A lot of people keep talking about the popularity of basketball and implying it is directly related to the NBA popularity. Not the same thing.

I spend half the year in US and half in Italy. First, in the US LOTS of basketball fans are college basketball fans and don't even like the NBA. Second, the NBA is so down in popularity these days in Europe.

Sure at one time it was really popular in Europe like Jordan/Bird/Magic era but not now. Although basketball is a very popular sport in the Mediterranean (I would guess 2nd overall to soccer) and also in the Balkans (I would guess it is the #1 most popular there) - it is not simply the NBA that is popular.

The NBA is simply not as important in terms of basketball in these areas as the Euroleague or the European Championships are. So basketball may be doing OK there, but that really isn't NBA related so much.

The NBA is just getting some market for people that want to follow their players in the NBA (mainly Spanish and Slovenian fans), other than that there is simply no way you could compare the popularity of NBA over there to say teams like Maccabi, Panathinaikos or Olympiacos, because it's not even close.

The lack of interest in the NBA stems from people only watching their own league and rooting for hometown teams and also, it's hard to get access to NBA games and the times that they are shown (in Europe) also suck.

In Surinam (South America) they showed NBA games live and had a daily NBA show with highlights and all. The NBA was pretty big over there.. even to people that didnt really dig basketball, they just had on the sport shows and everybody saw some NBA games. They also showed games at bars and stuff in the background. The fact that people had easy access to (live) NBA games did a lot for it's appeal and interest.

I understand that the NBA is less popular than the local leagues..
Soccer is the biggest sport in Holland and everybody follows the Dutch league. People don't care as much for better leagues (Premier league, Spanish league etc.) because they root for their hometown teams and because games from other leagues aren't shown on TV as much. However, every player on a Dutch soccer team dreams of playing in the premier league or the Spanish league. Same goes for pretty much all of the players in the leagues you just mentioned and the NBA, eventhough some players don't want to make the transition because they get scrub minues, lesser roles because they're not good enough or don't fit in the NBA and stay in Europe.

RainierBeachPoet
05-22-2011, 09:32 AM
David Stern has got to do something to change the image of the NBA for the better.

he has to not fu(k cities in the a$$ in order to get financing to build new buildings and then move longstanding organizations-- like the sonics-- to one sport markets and will bend over and the the NBA have their way with them

Erudus
05-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Hamilton, Ontario (45m from toronto)

1. NHL

2. NFL
3. MLB
4. NBA

Cant really rank MMA in there but like the following its starting to gain in this area is crazy. Unfair to rank a sport ~20 years old (and just starting to hit mainstream) to established leagues some of which 100+ years

Loneshot
05-22-2011, 04:17 PM
the NBA is about the only major league i pay any attention to these days. Unless you count the UFC. As i grew older i began to find the NFL very boring; games ending with a score of 10-3? Terrible, not to mention there appears to be no loyalty to players from the teams (LT should have been able to retire a Charger).

And of course Baseball has always been terribly boring. Don't know how that got so popular.

Premeditated
05-22-2011, 04:40 PM
what a stupid ass thread. As of right now, basketball has surpassed baseball again as the second most popular sport.only NFL is ahead but if we're talking about the whole world, it's soccer than basketball.

Tarik One
05-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Baseball is significant for like, 2 months right? Mainly because of the ending of the basketball season and the beginning of football totally takes away from it.

mlh1981
05-22-2011, 10:22 PM
MLB
NFL/NBA
NHL

Don't really get into college sports that much, outside my alma matter Ohio University.

That's my order

Lakers Legend#32
05-23-2011, 01:14 AM
The NBA is perceived as being too black and urban to appeal to the Red States.

Kobe24Clutch
05-23-2011, 02:31 AM
How is MLB even popular that shit boring as fvck, i rather watch a tree grow.

B-Easy8
05-23-2011, 10:15 AM
NBA has the potential to be great but the amount of timeouts called and weak ass foul calls are ridiculous. There are so many stops, particurarly in the second half, it gets so boring. I always have to have my laptop with me or I have to be doing something else to watch games now.

dkmwise
05-23-2011, 06:47 PM
NBA less popular than NHL? What in the world is the NHL anyway, is that the silly thing they play on ice that I see on like the Outdoor Network and VS?

My thought is

NFL
MLB
NBA
NHL

However, MLB popularity is on the way down and NBA is on the way up.

Sheed
05-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Pretty sure the NBA is more popular then the NHL...easily.
In DC, NHL>>>>NBA. Mainly because our hockey team is actually good

ace23
05-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Really? I have never met a black man who followed hockey and DC is mostly black.

But the Wizards are pretty terrible...

Timmy D for MVP
05-23-2011, 07:21 PM
I think with the rise of the Miami Heat and the possible response causing more teams to load up with stars in the coming couple years we're going to see the NBA rise as a whole.

Add in Blake Griffin, a rise in international draftees, and I would wager that we're on the brink of a big boom in the NBA.

That is IF David Stern doesn't mess it all up.

Draz
05-23-2011, 07:28 PM
In NY it's more about Baseball then really basketball. I can hardly find people who watch basketball. I'm thinking about following college basketball.

Legend of Josh
05-23-2011, 07:30 PM

In DC ...

Redskins Redskins Redskins (most loyal fanbase of any team minus the Steelers).

Legend of Josh
05-23-2011, 07:33 PM
In NY it's more about Baseball then really basketball. I can hardly find people who watch basketball. I'm thinking about following college basketball.

Due to the Yankees, NYC will always be a baseball town, but make no mistake about it - NYC is the mecca of basketball, and there are millions of Knicks fans right there. Some loyal, some fair weather and some to be new now that they're back to being a quality team again (and haven't been in over a decade).

Javat_90
05-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Too many blacks
:lol

PHX_Phan
05-23-2011, 09:09 PM
For me, it's:

NFL
NBA
MMA
NHL

As far as certain markets, I'd say the Suns were up there for a while in Arizona until the Cards started doing good.

VishaltotheG
05-23-2011, 09:29 PM
For me:

1. NBA
2. NFL
3. ATP
4. MMA

baseball does not compute

Lakers Legend#32
05-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Conservatives will always hate the NBA because they feel there are too many blacks in it.

JtotheIzzo
05-24-2011, 02:01 AM
NBA less popular than NHL? What in the world is the NHL anyway, is that the silly thing they play on ice that I see on like the Outdoor Network and VS?

My thought is

NFL
MLB
NBA
NHL

However, MLB popularity is on the way down and NBA is on the way up.

Your rankings are pretty accurate for the US.

But the NHL has more fans in Canada than the NBA does in the US (with 10X the population), so the NBA still has a long way to go.

NBA is far and away my favorite, but it is so gayed up now in its presentation, the way it is officiated, the way they space playoff games apart etc... it seems like they want to test the hardcore fans patience.

The NBA runs the risk of being to sterile. This whole 'family friendly environment' they want to create at games works up to a point, but then you get diminishing returns. If they sterilize it too much, going to an NBA game will be like going to a movie.

Fans at NHL games and NFL games are a 1000X better than in stadium NBA fans, even the NBA's two trendiest markets right now (Miami and LA...sorry NY and Boston) have fairweather fans.

People want their live sports to be confrontational and edgy, the NBA doesn't want this, and it will hurt their ability to grow. Passion is the key.