PDA

View Full Version : Kobe, Jordan, and 40 point games.

sammdogg
01-06-2009, 01:56 AM
Kobe Bryant, who scored only 26 points in the Lakers' win over the Blazers on Sunday, topped the 40-point mark for the 94th time of his career in a victory over the Jazz on Friday. Here is a look at where he ranks on the all-time list.

Most career 40-point games
Wilt Chamberlain 271
Michael Jordan 173
Kobe Bryant 94
Elgin Baylor 88
Allen Iverson 79

Source: ESPN

Do u think kobe will pass MJ in 40 point games?

ruslan
01-06-2009, 01:58 AM
Kobe Bryant, who scored only 26 points in the Lakers' win over the Blazers on Sunday, topped the 40-point mark for the 94th time of his career in a victory over the Jazz on Friday. Here is a look at where he ranks on the all-time list.

Wilt Chamberlain 271
Michael Jordan 173
Kobe Bryant 94
Elgin Baylor 88
Allen Iverson 79

no way in hell, u can bet that. he has more than half way to go :no:

AI woulda had more if he stayed in philly :confusedshrug:

AirGauge23
01-06-2009, 02:02 AM
No, I don't think he'll pass him.

But being third behind Wilt and MJ isn't bad at all.

konex
01-06-2009, 02:03 AM
Are you serious? Kobe'll be lucky to get to 100 this season :roll:

Showtime
01-06-2009, 02:08 AM
What's so amazing is that MJ walked away from the game twice. The first time he was at his peak, and missed a season and most of another. The second time he still had gas in the tank.

konex
01-06-2009, 02:08 AM
You think IF Kobe *wanted* to score 40 points in 6 games of the Lakers games remaining this season, he couldn't? :oldlol:

He could but he doesn't need to unless more injuries happen..

KenneBell
01-06-2009, 02:15 AM
Nope. Unlike most players, Kobe's career is end-loaded with highscoring games and now it's not even necessary.

If he started off as a #1, that number might be closer but that's not the case.

Showtime
01-06-2009, 02:16 AM
My point exactly. Kobe could rip off a string of 40, 50 point games with a snap of his finger but this will not benefit the team and help them in the quest for the Larry O'Brien trophy.
Can we stop this please? Seriously. Just stop. I hate these comments that Kobe can "turn it on" at will, whenever he wants. If that were the case, he would never go through the shooting woes he usually has, especially in the post season. So please, stop perpetuating the myth that Kobe can score at will, because if that were the case, that would mean he has struggled and lost on purpose.

AirGauge23
What's so amazing is that MJ walked away from the game twice. The first time he was at his peak, and missed a season and most of another. The second time he still had gas in the tank.

Check out the beginning of this interview, he talks about stats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaR0yAKx1vY&feature=related

OldSchoolBBall
Here is a look at where he ranks on the all-time list.

Wilt Chamberlain 271
Michael Jordan 173
Kobe Bryant 94
Elgin Baylor 88
Allen Iverson 79

He won't pass him; he'll probaby finish his career with around 130-150 such games.

More interesting is that Jordan has the most 40+ point games of any player in NBA history (38). Kobe has 6 playoff games of 40+. Jordan had more 40+ point playoff games in the 1989 postseason than Kobe has had in his entire career.

OldSchoolBBall
01-06-2009, 02:17 AM
Can we stop this please? Seriously. Just stop. I hate these comments that Kobe can "turn it on" at will, whenever he wants. If that were the case, he would never go through the shooting woes he usually has, especially in the post season. So please, stop perpetuating the myth that Kobe can score at will, because if that were the case, that would mean he has struggled and lost on purpose.

Yup, groupies are ridiculous.

DuMa
01-06-2009, 02:20 AM
My point exactly. Kobe could rip off a string of 40, 50 point games with a snap of his finger but this will not benefit the team and help them in the quest for the Larry O'Brien trophy.

that sure helped him in the finals :oldlol:

Odomize
01-06-2009, 02:22 AM
I predict 14 pages or more :applause:

01-06-2009, 02:39 AM
He'll finish around 130-140 I think.

phazed out
01-06-2009, 03:05 AM
broken pinky averaging 26 plus not bad eh chump?

FashionIssues
01-06-2009, 03:08 AM
no he won't. happy?

hack_a_shaq
01-06-2009, 03:09 AM

Clarify.

Biddy77
01-06-2009, 03:33 AM
kobe could be scoring more than he is now, but as has been said already, that wouldn't be the right call. i'm not saying he can "turn it on at will", but if he's looking to fill up the scoring column, history has shown that he is more than capable. he's putting up 20 shots/game to avg 26ppg right now. in 2005-2006, he put up 27 shots per game to avg 35 points. if he starts chucking, he'll put up big scoring games left and right again. that's a lot different than saying he can just snap his fingers and be automatic, but it is saying he has some measure of control over how much he's putting up.

at the end of it all, none of this matters. while Jordan scored by the truckload, he was also the top defensive sg in the league for a very long time (playing at the same time as guys like gerald wilkins, alvin robertson, joe dumars, etc), and most importantly, seemed to be able to win games simply because he decided to. there were times it was absolutely ridiculous. chicago would be down, and you'd see jordan and pippen during a timeout, free throws, etc look up at the scoreboard, shake their heads, make eye contact... and then wind up sparking a run to win the game. guys who got to watch them a lot will know what i mean when i say that there were a lot of occasions when it just seemed like jordan went "f**k this. we're going to win. lets go." and it would happen.

kobe hates to lose. jordan often just wouldn't let losses happen. not really sure how else to put it.

Scott Pippen
01-06-2009, 03:52 AM
chicago would be down, and you'd see jordan and pippen during a timeout, free throws, etc look up at the scoreboard, shake their heads, make eye contact... and then wind up sparking a run to win the game. guys who got to watch them a lot will know what i mean when i say that there were a lot of occasions when it just seemed like jordan went "f**k this. we're going to win. lets go." and it would happen.

Absolutely.:applause:

puppychili
01-06-2009, 03:58 AM
Lakers could of used 40+ from Kobe in games 4 and 6 of the Finals last year. What was his average during the Finals anyways?

crisoner
01-06-2009, 04:05 AM
NO and hopefully not. IF Kobe still has to score 40+ with this team around him, then it's not a good sign.

Rings > 40 point games

Amen

end thread

F.Sanford
01-06-2009, 04:06 AM
Can we stop this please? Seriously. Just stop. I hate these comments that Kobe can "turn it on" at will, whenever he wants. If that were the case, he would never go through the shooting woes he usually has, especially in the post season.

You should practice the use of simple logic. Because he can "turn it on" and score a lot more doesn't mean he can't struggle or be shut down.

So please, stop perpetuating the myth that Kobe can score at will, because if that were the case, that would mean he has struggled and lost on purpose.

I can't find where someone said he was a magic genie and was unstoppable.

If you don't understand that Kobe, especially on this current team that actually has some talent around him, could fairly easily score another 10+ a night you either don't watch much basketball or you shouldn't be... :rolleyes:

puppychili
01-06-2009, 04:10 AM
Rings > 40 point games

Amen

end thread

Then Jordan > Wilt, right Cris.:D

F.Sanford
01-06-2009, 04:11 AM
Lakers could of used 40+ from Kobe in games 4 and 6 of the Finals last year. What was his average during the Finals anyways?

I think he averaged around the same number of points that the Bulls won games last year.

Or was it the number of millions you overpaid for Deng?

Or was it the combined jersey numbers of the players Paxson thought were to valuable to trade for Kobe?

Sorry, can't remember exactly.

crisoner
01-06-2009, 04:13 AM
Rings > 40 point games

Then Jordan > Wilt, right Cris.:D

Why yes I agree with that as well. :pimp:

But if that is true can we say Russel > Jordan?????

puppychili
01-06-2009, 04:24 AM
I think he averaged around the same number of points that the Bulls won games last year.

Or was it the number of millions you overpaid for Deng?

Or was it the combined jersey numbers of the players Paxson thought were to valuable to trade for Kobe?

Sorry, can't remember exactly.

Dictionary: deflect

To turn aside or cause to turn aside; bend or deviate.

For the record. Laker fans would have loved to get Deng at the time he signed his deal.

The number of Bulls wins enabled them to get Rose who is a future stud.

The one positive for the Bulls last year is that they didn't trade for Kobe.

Paxson should be fired at the end of this year and Del Negro is a joke of a coach.

All of that above though doesnt change the fact that Kobe and the Lakers choke in game 4 and showed no heart in game 6. Kobe also played more like Katie Jordan that Michael Jordan for the majority of that series.

And it was a serious question. What was Kobes average for the series.

Riker
01-06-2009, 04:29 AM

Yeah but in the 90's defense were a lot weaker and points counted rather differently.

For instance, 30 points in todays era are equal to approx. 76 points in the 90's.

It's just the rules and NBA inflation that needs to be considered.

puppychili
01-06-2009, 04:42 AM
Why yes I agree with that as well. :pimp:

But if that is true can we say Russel > Jordan?????

I would say rings + 40 point games > Rings.

But I see the game you're playing and I like it. :cheers:

Showtime
01-06-2009, 05:10 AM
Yeah but in the 90's defense were a lot weaker and points counted rather differently.

Defense a lot weaker? GTFO because it's obvious you didn't even watch Jordan as a bull. As far as perimeter players, MJ attacked the basket without a restricted zone. While guys like Wade can just throw themselves into the lane, and if the defender even is set, if his heel is on the line, the offensive player automatically gets the call. There wasn't a 3 second rule, so post players didn't have to worry about clearling out the lane all the time, they just needed to be aware of their position to avoid the illegal defense call. While players couldn't double off the ball, they could collapse and help as soon as MJ made a move towards the bucket, and they allowed more contact from defenders. Weaker defense? Stop watching moronic youtube videos made by Kobe fanatics.

For instance, 30 points in todays era are equal to approx. 76 points in the 90's.

It's just the rules and NBA inflation that needs to be considered.
you = moron

Scott Pippen
01-06-2009, 05:13 AM
Defense a lot weaker? GTFO because it's obvious you didn't even watch Jordan as a bull. As far as perimeter players, MJ attacked the basket without a restricted zone. While guys like Wade can just throw themselves into the lane, and if the defender even is set, if his heel is on the line, the offensive player automatically gets the call. There wasn't a 3 second rule, so post players didn't have to worry about clearling out the lane all the time. While players couldn't double off the ball, they could collapse and help as soon as MJ made a move towards the bucket, and they allowed more contact from defenders. Weaker defense? Stop watching moronic youtube videos.

you = moron

it is sarcasm:applause:

Riker
01-06-2009, 05:14 AM
You disappointed me. :ohwell:

http://www.alamodestuff.com/images/sarcasm.jpg

Showtime
01-06-2009, 05:16 AM
You should practice the use of simple logic. Because he can "turn it on" and score a lot more doesn't mean he can't struggle or be shut down.

By making the claim that somebody can score whenever they want means when said player doesn't score, it's because he chooses not to score. Which means that every time he couldn't get a basket when needed, and games were lost, it's because he chose not to "turn it on" and score "at will". That claim is not only false, but ridiculous.

I can't find where someone said he was a magic genie and was unstoppable.

That's exactly what some have said about Kobe, that he can get a basket whenever he wants and score at will.

If you don't understand that Kobe, especially on this current team that actually has some talent around him, could fairly easily score another 10+ a night you either don't watch much basketball or you shouldn't be... :rolleyes:
You obviously don't even comprehend the premise of my original point, so I will stop here.

Showtime
01-06-2009, 05:17 AM
You disappointed me. :ohwell:

http://www.alamodestuff.com/images/sarcasm.jpg
With so many naive or ignorant fans around these days, you can hardly blame me.

ballhog
01-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Dictionary: deflect

To turn aside or cause to turn aside; bend or deviate.

For the record. Laker fans would have loved to get Deng at the time he signed his deal.

The number of Bulls wins enabled them to get Rose who is a future stud.

The one positive for the Bulls last year is that they didn't trade for Kobe.

Paxson should be fired at the end of this year and Del Negro is a joke of a coach.

All of that above though doesnt change the fact that Kobe and the Lakers choke in game 4 and showed no heart in game 6. Kobe also played more like Katie Jordan that Michael Jordan for the majority of that series.
And it was a serious question. What was Kobes average for the series.

now there is no need to go on and insult Katie Jordan :no:

JJ81
01-06-2009, 09:28 AM
he has more than half way to go

No, he doesn't.

ThaRegul8r
01-06-2009, 09:07 PM

Since no one answered your question...

25.7 ppg, 21.8 FGA, 40.5% shooting.

Moneyshot
01-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Where the **** did you learn how to do math? Jesus.

Jacks3
01-06-2009, 09:43 PM
That is absolutely amazing. Consider that he came off the bench his 1st 2 years, was the 2nd option behind Shaq for 6 years, and has had a great team for the past 2 seasons. He's really been on bad teams for 2 seasons. And he still has 94 career 40+ point games third all-time. Imagine what he would have done as the #1 guy from the beginning of his career.:eek:

beau_boy04
01-06-2009, 10:08 PM
That is absolutely amazing. Consider that he came off the bench his 1st 2 years, was the 2nd option behind Shaq for 6 years, and has had a great team for the past 2 seasons. He's really been on bad teams for 2 seasons. And he still has 94 career 40+ point games third all-time. Imagine what he would have done as the #1 guy from the beginning of his career.:eek:

He would have not been a #1 guy at the beginning of his career. He jumped out of school and didn't develop until his 3rd season I believe.

Psileas
01-06-2009, 10:21 PM
I predict he'll finish at about 120 such games, which is a hell of a number. 140 is pushing it, especially as long as he plays 35-37 mpg and on good teams. While I'm at it, I'm not even sure he'll reach the 120 plateau. He'll need 26 more, an average of 5.2 for this season and 4 more. Achievable, but not granted.

FIY, if we include ABA careers, Barry is at 118 40-pointers.

FIY#2, Kobe is exactly at 100 40-point games if we include playoffs. However, this way he's at #4, since Baylor has a combined total of 103.

puppychili
01-06-2009, 10:28 PM
40.5% shooting.

Ouch! :eek:

Thank you by the way.

hoss805
01-06-2009, 11:11 PM
jordan couldnt do it alone, from 84 to 90
but he was real good, allstar in his first year, averaged 37+ points in his third

Riker
01-06-2009, 11:28 PM
jordan couldnt do it alone, from 84 to 90
but he was real good, allstar in his first year, averaged 37+ points in his third

Yeah. I bet not even you could do it with damn Dave Corzine and Rod Higgins by your side. :rolleyes:

Real good huh...3000 points. LOL.

But it was much easier to score back then, rim was 30" in diameter.

ThaRegul8r
01-06-2009, 11:38 PM
40.5% shooting.

Ouch! :eek:

Thank you by the way.

You're welcome.

G-Funk
01-12-2012, 04:06 AM

He needs to score 40 16 times per season, from here on out for the next 4 seasons, I doubt it

Vienceslav
01-12-2012, 04:13 AM
Probably not happening , but it

Story Up
01-12-2012, 04:15 AM
Kobe had 50% of those games in two seasons. He'd easily beat Jordan if he was the #1 option from the get go.

Myth
01-12-2012, 04:20 AM
Kobe had 50% of those games in two seasons. He'd easily beat Jordan if he was the #1 option from the get go.

I think it worked out better overall for Kobe to be #2 for a while. Few more rings because of it.

bwink23
01-12-2012, 09:20 AM

Michael Jordan 87, 88 seasons = 43, 40-point games.

Kobe Bryant 06,07 seasons = 29, 40-point games.

Where did this 50% crap come from???????? LOL!!

As you can see, as for as prolific scoring goes over even just a couple of years, Jordan still whips Kobe....:no:

Dragonyeuw
01-12-2012, 09:28 AM

If...If...If Kobe was starting and the number 1 from the get-go......If Jordan hadn't lost most of the entire 86 season to injury......If Jordan hadn't retired for a 1 year and a half during his prime years....if Jordan hadn't retired at 35 while he was still capable of averaging 29 a game...If....If....If

bingo123
01-12-2012, 09:34 AM

Maybe. But if he was the #1 option from the get go, forget about first three rings. Which option is better?

OldSchoolBBall
01-12-2012, 09:35 AM

This is nonsense. BOTH Kobe and Jordan did most of their damage in terms of 40+ point games in two seasons (MJ had 55 games of 40+ points in '87 and '88 versus Kobe's 45 such games in '06 and '07). Saying that Kobe "would have" done more is a joke, because Jordan also would have done more scoring if he didn't concentrate on his team game and all-around game post-1988, if he wasn't expending a ton of energy on defense (way more than Kobe), and if he didn't have as good a team as he did post 1989.

Let's also not neglect the fact that Jordan had more playoff games of 40+ point in two postseasons ('89 and '90) than Kobe has had in his entire playoff career (13 games of 40+ points versus 11 games).

LakerGirl72
01-12-2012, 09:37 AM
nah, he won't pass jordon on this.

bwink23
01-12-2012, 10:16 AM
I forget, which one of those retirements was caused by David Stern for the force retirement of Jordan for inability to pay gambling debt, which ultimately resulted in the death and murder of his own father?

Rape charge? hur hur Jordan Killed his father! Beat that Kobe!/ Win

Im just kidding, I dont realy care either way. I just wanted to bring up jordan killing his dad. I thought it would be fun.

It didnt disappoint.

Highschool? How did you do it?

BAN in 5,4,3..........

I.R.Beast
01-12-2012, 10:31 AM

MJ had 7 years of ball hogging and 23+ shots per game in his atheletic Prime.... Kobe didnt have that.

ILLsmak
01-12-2012, 10:45 AM
MJ had 7 years of ball hogging and 23+ shots per game in his atheletic Prime.... Kobe didnt have that.

I think he did... lol. I don't think anyone would say Kobe didn't get enough shots. Kobe shot whenever he wanted to. If he didn't shoot it, he wouldn't have shot it no matter who was on his team. If Kobe didn't shoot it, he was thinking THERE IS NO WAY I CAN MAKE THIS SHOT.

-Smak

thelucifer69
01-12-2012, 11:13 AM

If MJ took the same shots as Kobe he still had more 40 points/ game, better FG%:rockon:

Dragonyeuw
01-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Aww cmon now, I did it in good sport! It was all in dark humor! I was just having fun, lol. Cmon it was a little funny..

Not really.

Dragonyeuw
01-12-2012, 11:55 AM
F u I laughed, LOL. Dont take somebody you never met so seriously. He doesnt care what merchandise you bought, only the ones you didnt. Personally im not reserving my grave sight with a James Jordan premium coffin, exclusive with vintage jordans and mafia un-payoffs. Order now and we'll include the super duper premium FBI wire, just like the one jordan used! Put it under your shirt, put it under your hat! ITS FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY! Buy now!

Take you seriously? I don't give a shit about you one way or the other. I just think you're sad, ignorant and irrelevant. Actually, give me a sec.....

Dragonyeuw
01-12-2012, 11:58 AM
This message is hidden because COnDEMnED is on your ignore list.

Much better.....

rhythmic
01-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Michael Jordan 87, 88 seasons = 43, 40-point games.

Kobe Bryant 06,07 seasons = 29, 40-point games.

Where did this 50% crap come from???????? LOL!!

As you can see, as for as prolific scoring goes over even just a couple of years, Jordan still whips Kobe....:no:

Uhm you sure he only had 29 40+ point games. I'm calling out your bullshit.

bwink23
01-12-2012, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

Story Up
01-12-2012, 12:57 PM
I meant he scored 40+, and 45 is almost 50% of 109.
If a player scores 50+ they only record it as a 50 Pontiac game? Or as a 40 and 50 point game? Hence, he eclipsed both of them?

Droid101
01-12-2012, 01:02 PM
KONEX CURSE LIVES :bowdown:

rhythmic
01-12-2012, 01:04 PM
You have basketball reference.com ??? LOOK IT UP. I didn't include the 50-point games, just the 40's....as someone stated before, if you include 50-points or more with that, Jordan = 55 and Kobe = 45....

It helps to look things up before you let your butt do the talking for you.

Jordan over those 2 years = 36.0ppg on 26.1 FG attempts.
Kobe over those 2 years = 33.5ppg on 25.0 FG attempts.

Jordan played all 164 games, totaling 5,909 points.
Kobe missed 7 games, totaling 5,262 points.

647 total points LESS than Jordan over those 2 years. Kobe would have to had played another 19 games just to match Jordan's total points over those 2 years.

SORRY DUDE....Jordan is THE standard.

Okay, I see man. I just had a different criteria for 40+ point games. I figured if a player scores at least 40+ points, that counts at the minimum as a 40 point game. I knew Kobe scored a lot more then 29 games of over 40 games. :cheers:

Thanks for those insightful posts bro. But yes, Jordan is the standard. There's no point in comparing, both Jordan & Kobe had a legendary career in their own way.

Kiarip
01-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Konex curse begins? *again

macpierce
01-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Would he of caught MJ? probably not but he still has over 100 :pimp:

The Iron Fist
02-23-2013, 05:17 AM
and they said he wouldn't get this many

diamenz
02-23-2013, 05:30 AM
let's not forget how many of those mj forty point games were from the playoffs.

Scholar
02-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Well, Kobe is at one hundred seventeen (117) 40+-point games as of last night. I'm not suggesting he'll reach MJ ever, but he's probably going to be sitting at #3 comfortably for a long period of time.

eurobum
02-23-2013, 10:07 AM
LOL at Kobe stans: b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but he could score 40 every game if he wanted to. Way to speak in hypotheticals; just don't forget that DA YAHWEH toned his offensive game down massively from about 1989 onwards for the good of the TEAM. Using kobestanean logic, how many more 40 point games would he have had if he had gone all out from 1989 to 1993?

Money 23
02-23-2013, 11:39 AM
No, by 1990 / 1991 MJ was having to pull his personal game back for the betterment of a team in contention for a championship. He was having to be a responsible leader.

As Loki said, he also didn't focus solely on scoring, allowing other aspects to his game in the Kobe comparison sake, defense, to take nose dives in order to put up volume scoring numbers.

And while one could make the argument MJ had his early years '85 - '89 where he was on a bad team, in his athletic prime being able to score as much as he wanted to ... the give and take to that is Kobe during his early years was already putting championships on his resume by helping an all-time great in Shaquille O'Neal. He got rings on his resume instead of scoring titles.

But the BULK of Kobe's 40+ point games came at his absolute peak / prime in a two to three year stretch 2006 - 2008. Not just his athletic prime like Jordan from '85 - '89 but his total prime / peak. Meaning the greatest combination he'd have in terms of physical ability, skill, and knowledge (championship level knowledge and experience at that)

Players usually peak at 27, 28, 29 and sometimes 30 years old. That's usually the area of their best stretch. They are still young enough to have all the physical advantages, stamina, athleticism, with just enough experience, maturity, and years of honed skill set and basketball intelligence.

Kobe in his absolute PEAK years was playing on a team headed NO WHERE, where he was allowed to cheat and relax on defense and put up the best scoring numbers he could in a coincidental couple season where league wide rules changed to aid the perimeter player. Not taking away from Kobe, as he's one of the greatest, but this is the truth ... and this is a counter argument to your ridiculous claim.

So, Kobe's best 40 point seasons came at his peak, when that's all he was asked to do was score on teams not competing for championships. Meanwhile ...

MJ at 27, 28, 29, and 30 years old ... also known as HIS PEAK was busy being the floor general and utility man for a team competing for rings. You put PEAK Michael Jordan (1991, 1992, 1993 versions) on a team the caliber of the 2006, 2007, and 2008 Lakers (pre Gasol) and tell him he can relax on defense and focus on scoring?!!!!

His numbers would be MONSTEROUS. MJ was at his absolute best from '91 - '93. Virtually all the athleticism of '85 - '89 MJ, with even more skill, maturity, and experience. I shutter to think what '91, or '92, or '93 MJ would do from a scoring perspective with a non championship caliber team.

Imagine what MJ could do if say he faced the lowly Clippers and wanted to have a self indulgent scoring game?

:pimp:

eurobum
02-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Imagine what MJ could do if say he faced the lowly Clippers and wanted to have a self indulgent scoring game?

82 points.

Yahweh :bowdown:

Mr. I'm So Rad
02-23-2013, 12:27 PM
As Loki said, he also didn't focus solely on scoring, allowing other aspects to his game in the Kobe comparison sake, defense, to take nose dives in order to put up volume scoring numbers.

Kobe in his absolute PEAK years was playing on a team headed NO WHERE, where he was allowed to cheat and relax on defense

I don't know why people constantly say this. Maybe they're too used to Kobe now not trying as hard on D. But in 2006 Kobe would still routinely guard the other team's best player and was able to give other star SGs fits on defense.

His defense in 2007 was bad but that was due to him bulking up and not really handling the extra weight well.

Roundball_Rock
02-23-2013, 12:37 PM

Wilt Chamberlain 271
Michael Jordan 173
Kobe Bryant 94
Elgin Baylor 88
Allen Iverson 79

MJ and Kobe combined do not even equal Wilt's 271. :bowdown:

to take nose dives in order to put up volume scoring numbers.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/t73ObkdKgFE/mqdefault.jpg

This graphic says it all. :lol Jordan led the league in FGA per game perenially; even at age 38 he was 2nd in FGA per game.

Glide2keva
02-23-2013, 12:46 PM
He has 111 today. I think.

Glide2keva
02-23-2013, 12:48 PM
MJ and Kobe combined do not even equal Wilt's 271. :bowdown:

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/t73ObkdKgFE/mqdefault.jpg

This graphic says it all. :lol Jordan led the league in FGA per game perenially; even at age 38 he was 2nd in FGA per game.
Still shot 47% in the process.

Roundball_Rock
02-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Yeah--on average. He took 20+ at minimum every night regardless of how he was shooting. See his 1993 game logs, for example. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01/gamelog/1993/

4 for 20
6 for 19
9 for 27
5 for 14
10 for 28
9 for 25
13 for 36
8 for 22
13 for 34
10 for 26
8 for 20
10 for 25
9 for 22
12 for 29

This is a guy who came from the baseball field and put up 28 shots out the gate (on 25% shooting), even though a teammate scored 31 on 55% in the same game.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-23-2013, 12:54 PM
No, by 1990 / 1991 MJ was having to pull his personal game back for the betterment of a team in contention for a championship. He was having to be a responsible leader.

And while one could make the argument MJ had his early years '85 - '89 where he was on a bad team, in his athletic prime being able to score as much as he wanted to ... the give and take to that is Kobe during his early years was already putting championships on his resume by helping an all-time great in Shaquille O'Neal. He got rings on his resume instead of scoring titles.

But the BULK of Kobe's 40+ point games came at his absolute peak / prime in a two to three year stretch 2006 - 2008. Not just his athletic prime like Jordan from '85 - '89 but his total prime / peak. Meaning the greatest combination he'd have in terms of physical ability, skill, and knowledge (championship level knowledge and experience at that)

Players usually peak at 27, 28, 29 and sometimes 30 years old. That's usually the area of their best stretch. They are still young enough to have all the physical advantages, stamina, athleticism, with just enough experience, maturity, and years of honed skill set and basketball intelligence.

Kobe in his absolute PEAK years was playing on a team headed NO WHERE, where he was allowed to cheat and relax on defense and put up the best scoring numbers he could in a coincidental couple season where league wide rules changed to aid the perimeter player. Not taking away from Kobe, as he's one of the greatest, but this is the truth ... and this is a counter argument to your ridiculous claim.

So, Kobe's best 40 point seasons came at his peak, when that's all he was asked to do was score on teams not competing for championships. Meanwhile ...

MJ at 27, 28, 29, and 30 years old ... also known as HIS PEAK was busy being the floor general and utility man for a team competing for rings. You put PEAK Michael Jordan (1991, 1992, 1993 versions) on a team the caliber of the 2006, 2007, and 2008 Lakers (pre Gasol) and tell him he can relax on defense and focus on scoring?!!!!

His numbers would be MONSTEROUS. MJ was at his absolute best from '91 - '93. Virtually all the athleticism of '85 - '89 MJ, with even more skill, maturity, and experience. I shutter to think what '91, or '92, or '93 MJ would do from a scoring perspective with a non championship caliber team.

http://files-cdn.formspring.me/photos/20120701/n4ff111c3464c4.gif

Mr. I'm So Rad
02-23-2013, 12:55 PM
He has 111 today. I think.

Leviathon1121
02-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Yeah--on average. He took 20+ at minimum every night regardless of how he was shooting. See his 1993 game logs, for example. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01/gamelog/1993/

4 for 20
6 for 19
9 for 27
5 for 14
10 for 28
9 for 25
13 for 36
8 for 22
13 for 34
10 for 26
8 for 20
10 for 25
9 for 22
12 for 29

This is a guy who came from the baseball field and put up 28 shots out the gate (on 25% shooting), even though a teammate scored 31 on 55% in the same game.

Why are you in this thread? Pippen hasn't been mentioned once. Just change your avatar to a Kobe face and stop the charade.

Tking714
02-23-2013, 01:55 PM
What are the numbers for 30 point games and 50 point games for each player?

Deuce Bigalow
02-23-2013, 02:31 PM
What are the numbers for 30 point games and 50 point games for each player?
Most 30 point games alltime (Regular Season)

MJ - 562
Wilt - 515
K. Malone - 435
Kareem - 429
Kobe - 406
Oscar - 387
West - 350
Wilkins - 346
Iverson - 345
Baylor - 343

http://www.nbastats.net/01NBA/02morerecords/01-Points07-Regsea.xls (I updated Kobe's)

I can't find the full list of 50 point games but I know the top 3 in the regular season

Wilt - 118
MJ - 31
Kobe - 24

Tking714
02-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Most 30 point games alltime (Regular Season)

MJ - 562
Wilt - 515
K. Malone - 435
Kareem - 429
Kobe - 406
Oscar - 387
West - 350
Wilkins - 346
Iverson - 345
Baylor - 343

http://www.nbastats.net/01NBA/02morerecords/01-Points07-Regsea.xls (I updated Kobe's)

I can't find the full list of 50 point games but I know the top 3 in the regular season

Wilt - 118
MJ - 31
Kobe - 24

Thanks. I figured Jordan was the more consistent 30ppg scorer. Wilt was capable of getting Monster games, but he fluctuated a bit more.

MJ's 30 point games must have been on the higher end of the spectrum (ie. more games in the 36 - 39 ppg range) than the other players as well

Smoke117
02-23-2013, 02:59 PM

Wilt Chamberlain 271
Michael Jordan 173
Kobe Bryant 94
Elgin Baylor 88
Allen Iverson 79

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

OldSchoolBBall
02-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Thanks. I figured Jordan was the more consistent 30ppg scorer. Wilt was capable of getting Monster games, but he fluctuated a bit more.

MJ's 30 point games must have been on the higher end of the spectrum (ie. more games in the 36 - 39 ppg range) than the other players as well

Funny you should say that. Speaking of high scoring games, Jordan has by far the most games of 47-49 points after Wilt. Kobe is close enough in terms of 50 point games (in the regular season, that is), trailing MJ's 31 games of 50+ points with 24 games of 50+ of his own. However, look at what each of them did in the 46-49 point range. Here are the number of games they've scored exactly that number of points in the regular season:

Jordan:

46 pts - 7 games
47 pts - 9 games
48 pts - 3 games
49 pts - 9 games

Kobe:

46 pts - 5 games
47 pts - 1 game
48 pts - 4 games
49 pts - 1 game

As you can see, no one is close to Jordan in terms of high scoring games in the modern era. Crazy that he had 9 games of 49 points - think of how many game of 50+ he could have had! :eek: He conceivably could have had 10+ more games of 50+ points on his resume.

When you look at the playoffs, it's an even bigger discrepancy:

Jordan:

46 pts - 5 games
47 pts - 2 games
48 pts - 2 games
49 pts - 2 games

Kobe:

46 pts - 0 games
47 pts - 0 games
48 pts - 1 game
49 pts - 1 game

Again, a huge gulf. And Jordan is already way out in front in terms of 50+ point games in the playoffs (8 for MJ versus 1 for Kobe). Then ad these games of 46-49 points in there as well and it's easy to see why MJ was the most dominant playoff performer in history.

Hey Roundball Rock, that graphic is from the second three-peat and in the playoffs. Maybe the reason that Jordan had to take so many shots was because your boy Pippen was stinking up the joint with 39.0%, 41.7%, and 41.5% FG in the '96-'98 postseasons despite much lower ppg volume than MJ (16.9, 19.2, and 16.2 ppg in those postseasons) and seeing far less defensive attention than Jordan. Maybe if Pippen were more efficient and didn't disappear offensively those postseasons he would have warranted more shot attempts.

Rysio
02-23-2013, 04:03 PM
put kobe on any other team then the lakers for his first 10+ years and he would have 250+ right now. fact.

OldSchoolBBall
02-23-2013, 05:10 PM
put kobe on any other team then the lakers for his first 10+ years and he would have 250+ right now. fact.

Assuming he had a bad team for the entire 10 years, sure, maybe. Jordan would have had about 400+ if that were the case.

Rysio
02-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Assuming he had a bad team for the entire 10 years, sure, maybe. Jordan would have had about 400+ if that were the case.
he was on bad teams from 85-90 and 01-03. thats about 10 years where his 400 at? :no:

ShaqAttack3234
02-23-2013, 05:33 PM

In just the '87 and '88 seasons alone, he had 55 total 40+ games. He had an additional twelve games of 40+ through the first 57 games of the '89 season before the move to PG when he was averaging 11 apg, but still had a streak of 3 consecutive 40+ games after the move. More impressively, he had 21 games with 40+ in the '90 season on a 55 win team. And during these pre-championship years, he had three 40+ games in the '88 playoffs, 7 in the '89 playoffs and 6 in the '90 playoffs in addition to a lone 40+ game in the '87 playoffs.

So in just 4 seasons, that's 91 regular season 40+ games and 17 in the playoffs in just 46 playoff games during that time. To put that in perspective, I looked it up a while ago, and no recent player has even approached 17 40+ playoff games in their entire career. The closest have been Kobe at 13, Shaq at 12, Hakeem and Lebron at 11 and Iverson at 10.

I have wondered what '90-'92 MJ would have on the '87 and '88 Bulls individually. What he did in the 90's was more impressive, but it's interesting to think of prime MJ in a position to score as much as possible.

he was on bad teams from 85-90 and 01-03. thats about 10 years where his 400 at? :no:

I know I shouldn't bother since you're trolling, but this will only take a second. 39/40 years old with the Wizards, a rookie in '85, missed most of the '86 season and had his minutes limited when he did play, and the '90 team doesn't qualify as a bad team, they contended for a title.

Jacks3
02-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Just imagine what he would have done if he was the #1 option his entire career.

Probably something like 200+ 40 pt games, 40 50+ pt games, and 10 60+ pt games. Dude has nearly 20! 50+ pt games and 4 different 60+ pt games in a two-season span. Insane.

Money 23
02-23-2013, 06:11 PM
I have wondered what '90-'92 MJ would have on the '87 and '88 Bulls individually. What he did in the 90's was more impressive, but it's interesting to think of prime MJ in a position to score as much as possible.
Peak Jordan ('91, '92, '93) v.s. Peak Kobe (2006, 2007, 2008) in comparable team situations ... it would be absurd to think about. Especially if scoring is Jordan's main focus, the way it was Kobe's those couple seasons.

Kobe could've made plays while scoring and facilitated more and been a more balanced team leader (ala 2008) in 2006 and 2007 in order to help the Lakers win games but no, he purposely was doing his scoring binge thing in 2006 and 2007 because the opportunity presented itself, and it feeds into Kobe's legacy goals.

I think it's very conceivable peak Jordan could have had a few 60's and 70 point games if he was willing. And god knows how many 50 and 40 point games. Especially if MJ took advantage of bad teams the way Kobe so readily did those seasons (2006 Raptors, 2007 Bobcats, 2007 Blazers, 2007 Hornets)

OldSchoolBBall
02-23-2013, 06:34 PM

Err, try again kid. He was on poor/average teams in '85, '87, 88, and '89. That's 5 seasons. By 1990 the Bulls were a very good team - likely the second or third best team in the league. He was 39/40 on the Wizards.

Rysio
02-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Err, try again kid. He was on poor/average teams in '85, '87, 88, and '89. That's 5 seasons. By 1990 the Bulls were a very good team - likely the second or third best team in the league. He was 39/40 on the Wizards.
and in those 5 seasons he only had 77 40+ games. if he played 10 on those teams he'd get 180 at the very most. 400? lol you need to stop trolling kid.

ShaqAttack3234
02-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Just imagine what he would have done if he was the #1 option his entire career.

Probably something like 200+ 40 pt games, 40 50+ pt games, and 10 60+ pt games. Dude has nearly 20! 50+ pt games and 4 different 60+ pt games in a two-season span. Insane.

Kobe's 35 and 40 point streaks in 2003 came after Phil essentially made him the first option, and that's around the time the Lakers took off after a miserable start. It's interesting that most of his greatest individual feats have come after he was gvenhe green light such as those streaks, the entire 2006 season and the late 2007 stretch. He scored 40+ in 9 of the 17 games after Phil told him to shoot more in 2007, including seven 50+ games.

Peak Jordan ('91, '92, '93) v.s. Peak Kobe (2006, 2007, 2008) in comparable team situations ... it would be absurd to think about. Especially if scoring is Jordan's main focus, the way it was Kobe's those couple seasons.

Kobe could've made plays while scoring and facilitated more and been a more balanced team leader (ala 2008) in 2006 and 2007 in order to help the Lakers win games but no, he purposely was doing his scoring binge thing in 2006 and 2007 because the opportunity presented itself, and it feeds into Kobe's legacy goals.

I think it's very conceivable peak Jordan could have had a few 60's and 70 point games if he was willing. And god knows how many 50 and 40 point games. Especially if MJ took advantage of bad teams the way Kobe so readily did those seasons (2006 Raptors, 2007 Bobcats, 2007 Blazers, 2007 Hornets)

I'd include '90 Jordan, I don't think he's ever been a better scorer and that version of Jordan is about as good as any, imo. I included '90 instead of '93 because I think '90 Jordan had a bit more stamina which I think would equate to more 40+ games on a bad team.

I have no problem with how Kobe played in '06 and '07 given the teams he was on and what he was asked to do. Phil asked Kobe to carry the team in '06 because he thought it'd take a while for them to get use to the triangle, and in '07, he was playing unselfishly early and the Lakers were a surprising 26-15 at the halfway mark, but fell off after that, and Phil told Kobe to start shooting when they were on a losing streak which resulted in the 65 vs Portland and those 4 straight 50+ games. Only thing I can criticize about '07 Kobe is his defense.

Tking714
02-24-2013, 01:29 AM
Funny you should say that. Speaking of high scoring games, Jordan has by far the most games of 47-49 points after Wilt. Kobe is close enough in terms of 50 point games (in the regular season, that is), trailing MJ's 31 games of 50+ points with 24 games of 50+ of his own. However, look at what each of them did in the 46-49 point range. Here are the number of games they've scored exactly that number of points in the regular season:

Jordan:

46 pts - 7 games
47 pts - 9 games
48 pts - 3 games
49 pts - 9 games

Kobe:

46 pts - 5 games
47 pts - 1 game
48 pts - 4 games
49 pts - 1 game

As you can see, no one is close to Jordan in terms of high scoring games in the modern era. Crazy that he had 9 games of 49 points - think of how many game of 50+ he could have had! :eek: He conceivably could have had 10+ more games of 50+ points on his resume.

When you look at the playoffs, it's an even bigger discrepancy:

Jordan:

46 pts - 5 games
47 pts - 2 games
48 pts - 2 games
49 pts - 2 games

Kobe:

46 pts - 0 games
47 pts - 0 games
48 pts - 1 game
49 pts - 1 game

Again, a huge gulf. And Jordan is already way out in front in terms of 50+ point games in the playoffs (8 for MJ versus 1 for Kobe). Then ad these games of 46-49 points in there as well and it's easy to see why MJ was the most dominant playoff performer in history.

Hey Roundball Rock, that graphic is from the second three-peat and in the playoffs. Maybe the reason that Jordan had to take so many shots was because your boy Pippen was stinking up the joint with 39.0%, 41.7%, and 41.5% FG in the '96-'98 postseasons despite much lower ppg volume than MJ (16.9, 19.2, and 16.2 ppg in those postseasons) and seeing far less defensive attention than Jordan. Maybe if Pippen were more efficient and didn't disappear offensively those postseasons he would have warranted more shot attempts.

So 39 higher end 40 point games for Jordan, and 13 for Kobe. Again I figured as much but it's crazy to actually see the number.