PDA

View Full Version : Michael Beasley for PF or SF?

beasted86
01-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Considering Beasley's 6'8" size, strength, quickness, and face up shooting skill, would you want the Heat to develop Beasley as a PF or SF? Some people are saying they want him to become a SF, since there are abundant talented PFs available in 2009 & 2010 for the Heat to sign.

I on the other other hand disagree. I think in the next 2 to 3 years when he bulks up and works on his game he's going to look alot more like a PF. Beasley already looks like a solid rebounder to me, and you can see he's making progress defending other PFs. Right now I notice he plays well from the perimeter, but if we had better floor spacing and he positioned himself from the high post it would give for less time for help defenders to step in for the offensive foul. He'd still be able to sink jumpers all day when they play off him, but when they play close up on him, he'll be more sucessful at driving into the lane without it being clogged.

So for me I like him as a PF... what do you guys think?

The Joker
01-11-2009, 10:57 AM
I think Beasley in the future will play as good at the SF as on PF. Question is where does the Heat need him to play.

InfiniteBaskets
01-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Considering Beasley's 6'8" size, strength, quickness, and face up shooting skill, would you want the Heat to develop Beasley as a PF or SF? Some people are saying they want him to become a SF, since there are abundant talented PFs available in 2009 & 2010 for the Heat to sign.

I on the other other hand disagree. I think in the next 2 to 3 years when he bulks up and works on his game he's going to look alot more like a PF. Beasley already looks like a solid rebounder to me, and you can see he's making progress defending other PFs. Right now I notice he plays well from the perimeter, but if we had better floor spacing and he positioned himself from the high post it would give for less time for help defenders to step in for the offensive foul. He'd still be able to sink jumpers all day when they play off him, but when they play close up on him, he'll be more sucessful at driving into the lane without it being clogged.

http://streetknowledge.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/michael-beasley.jpg

I'd rather see Beasley attacking the basket as a SF but I don't know if he will ever develop the quickness that other SF all-stars have. I don't expect him to be as athletic as LeBron but will Beasley ever run the floor or be as quick as Marion? Beasley can jump, but his perimeter game consists mostly of a silky jump shot and not much of a drive game.

Because of that, I'd say he's better off bulking up and playing the PF spot, unless some how he's able to become a whole lot quicker in the next couple of years. If he can be as good as David West, that would be amazing. What we need to do is sign/ sign and trade for an above average starting center. But right now those are really lacking in supply. We need someone at the level below the Yaos, Dwights of this league. I think someone like Emeka Okafor would be the perfect fit, if we can get him for the right price. Dump Marion after this season.

Chalmers
Wade
Jones/Cook/Dorell Wright
Beasley/Haslem
Okafor

With enough defensive intensity and offensive development of Chalmers + Beasley, that's a contender.

AItheAnswer3
01-11-2009, 03:33 PM
I'd rather see Beasley attacking the basket as a SF but I don't know if he will ever develop the quickness that other SF all-stars have. I don't expect him to be as athletic as LeBron but will Beasley ever run the floor or be as quick as Marion? Beasley can jump, but his perimeter game consists mostly of a silky jump shot and not much of a drive game.

Because of that, I'd say he's better off bulking up and playing the PF spot, unless some how he's able to become a whole lot quicker in the next couple of years. If he can be as good as David West, that would be amazing. What we need to do is sign/ sign and trade for an above average starting center. But right now those are really lacking in supply. We need someone at the level below the Yaos, Dwights of this league. I think someone like Emeka Okafor would be the perfect fit, if we can get him for the right price. Dump Marion after this season.

Chalmers
Wade
Jones/Cook/Dorell Wright
Beasley/Haslem
Okafor

With enough defensive intensity and offensive development of Chalmers + Beasley, that's a contender.
:applause:
My thoughts exactly.

Alonzo Magic
01-12-2009, 09:27 AM
I'm leaning more towards a dynamic PF as well. He can't match up athletically against the slashers of the league. Offensively I wouldn't see that much of a problem, in fact he'd have a slight advantage with his classy footwork and high release point of his silky J to go along with the height advantage he'd have most nights. Unfortunately, he'd be shredded by swingmen most nights aswell.

I'd like to think of him as a more talented Al Harrington. The style and skills of a perimeter player, but in the body of a post up player. Harrington developed some nice moves inside in his time at the Bay Area, while stepping out clearing space in the paint for J-Rich and Baron to exploit. There he'd get the benefit of the kickout or he'd just simply be clearing traffic for his teammates.

Beasley has already got good post up skills that will only improve over time, I think the PF is the quickest transition he can make. (the muscle gain will develop over time)

Also, it's worth mentioning that a large number of Power Forwards in the game are extremely uncomfortable coming to the perimeter - David West has exploited that a lot over the last few seasons, and B-Easy's midrange game is absolutely fantastic, one of the most polished J's in the league. (I really mean that)

As far as what WE need is concerned, I don't know right now, it would probably be of greater benefit to us if he became an SF. If we were to obtain a defensive minded C who was a monster on the boards, (I had Okafor in mind too) then sure play him at PF. But I just feel there are more Power Forwards available, not to mention my content with Haslem starting in the frontcourt.

It's a dilemma...

Lord Leoshes
01-12-2009, 10:35 PM
PF. There is no question there. He is quick against PFs, not SFs. + he would be in foul trouble all game trying to guard SFs.

Pat Reilly
01-13-2009, 12:07 AM
Definately pf is his better position. I do not see him matching up so well at sf. On the other hand if Miami lands one of the top tier pfs available... :oldlol:

beasted86
01-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Well that's why I thought this would make an interesting topic. The debate can go either way.

Beasley's defensive and offensive game is more suited to the PF, but then it IS harder to get a talented C alongside him than a talented PF. So it's kind of a toss up between what Beasley plays best as, and what the team needs.

In all honesty, I might be the only one who thinks like this... but I'd like to see the Heat hold onto Marion, and just bring in one of the second tier Cs like a trade for Kaman or Okafor or signing J. O'neal or T. Chandler in 2010. With Wade & Beasley's scoring ability, it's kind of hard to visualize another superstar 20+ point player coming to the team and fitting in. If they sign Marion for around $10M, once Blount, Banks and a couple other large $ scrubs come off the cap or are traded, they can realistically afford another $10-11M starting C.

Lord Leoshes
01-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Well that's why I thought this would make an interesting topic. The debate can go either way.

Beasley's defensive and offensive game is more suited to the PF, but then it IS harder to get a talented C alongside him than a talented PF. So it's kind of a toss up between what Beasley plays best as, and what the team needs.

In all honesty, I might be the only one who thinks like this... but I'd like to see the Heat hold onto Marion, and just bring in one of the second tier Cs like a trade for Kaman or Okafor or signing J. O'neal or T. Chandler in 2010. With Wade & Beasley's scoring ability, it's kind of hard to visualize another superstar 20+ point player coming to the team and fitting in. If they sign Marion for around $10M, once Blount, Banks and a couple other large $ scrubs come off the cap or are traded, they can realistically afford another $10-11M starting C.

We need to have as much cap space for 2010 as possible. We don't need 2nd tier players with contracts past 2010. The only player that has a guaranteed contract for us in 2010, is Banks. He's the one we need to get rid of.

vitamink420
01-18-2009, 12:29 AM
I think he'll make a good PF but could be useful at SF if they want to play big sometimes. Of course they'd have to get some bigs first

Lord Leoshes
01-21-2009, 11:21 PM
I think he'll make a good PF but could be useful at SF if they want to play big sometimes. Of course they'd have to get some bigs first

It would depend on the opponents SF. & it would also depend on how much improvements Beasley has on defense.

AItheAnswer3
01-22-2009, 03:54 PM
It would depend on the opponents SF. & it would also depend on how much improvements Beasley has on defense.
Yeah, we can put him on a Bruce Bowen type SF. But obviously not on a SF like LeBron, Carmelo, Butler who etc who like to attack the rim.

Lord Leoshes
01-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Yeah, we can put him on a Bruce Bowen type SF. But obviously not on a SF like LeBron, Carmelo, Butler who etc who like to attack the rim.

I think even Bowen mite be to quick for Beasley. Yeah he hardly ever drives that much, but i bet against Beasley he would just to get him in foul trouble.
I was thinking more of the A Jamison/L Odom type. Some one more or less at the same speed of Beasley. & of course it would depend on Beasleys improvement, & footwork on D. Just think how bad Cooks D was last year, compared to this year. I am not saying that Beasleys D will improve as much, but we can only wait & see.

AItheAnswer3
01-23-2009, 04:07 PM
I think even Bowen mite be to quick for Beasley. Yeah he hardly ever drives that much, but i bet against Beasley he would just to get him in foul trouble.
I was thinking more of the A Jamison/L Odom type. Some one more or less at the same speed of Beasley. & of course it would depend on Beasleys improvement, & footwork on D. Just think how bad Cooks D was last year, compared to this year. I am not saying that Beasleys D will improve as much, but we can only wait & see.
Nah, Bowen never penetrates, he's just a spot up shooter. Odom, on the other hand, will get Beasley into foul trouble. Too quick. Jamison's game is very similar to Beasley. He's mainly a jumpshooter so Beasley will be able to guard him. Beasley has shown imrpovement on D from the first few games. He's putting in more effort but he still has a long way to go.

beasted86
01-23-2009, 05:15 PM
We need to have as much cap space for 2010 as possible. We don't need 2nd tier players with contracts past 2010. The only player that has a guaranteed contract for us in 2010, is Banks. He's the one we need to get rid of.

The thing is in 2010, even if we signed Marion to a $9-10M contract over 3-4 yrs we'd still have ~$35M in free cap to re-sign Wade and add new players considering the cap by then will probably be around $62M, and that's all considered with Banks still on the team. Without Banks, that leaves around $40M.

I really don't think re-signing Marion will hurt our chances a whole lot. And if it's not Marion, then Artest is another guy I'd really look at to bring in for ~$9-10M in the summer of 2009. Everyone gambling on compiling a complete team in 2010 with just rookies (Chalmers, Beasley) and second tier supporting players (Haslem, Cook, Jones, Wright) will be in for a big upset if something doesn't work out as planned.

Lord Leoshes
01-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Nah, Bowen never penetrates, he's just a spot up shooter. Odom, on the other hand, will get Beasley into foul trouble. Too quick. Jamison's game is very similar to Beasley. He's mainly a jumpshooter so Beasley will be able to guard him. Beasley has shown imrpovement on D from the first few games. He's putting in more effort but he still has a long way to go.

But Bowens 1st step will beat Beasley off the dribble, & get him in foul trouble. Bowen has that 1-2 dribble pull up shot. & to tell you the truth, i think that even Odom, & Jamison would get Beasley in foul trouble as well. If it's me i would just leave him at PF.

Lord Leoshes
01-23-2009, 10:06 PM
The thing is in 2010, even if we signed Marion to a $9-10M contract over 3-4 yrs we'd still have ~$35M in free cap to re-sign Wade and add new players considering the cap by then will probably be around $62M, and that's all considered with Banks still on the team. Without Banks, that leaves around $40M.

I really don't think re-signing Marion will hurt our chances a whole lot. And if it's not Marion, then Artest is another guy I'd really look at to bring in for ~$9-10M in the summer of 2009. Everyone gambling on compiling a complete team in 2010 with just rookies (Chalmers, Beasley) and second tier supporting players (Haslem, Cook, Jones, Wright) will be in for a big upset if something doesn't work out as planned.

It is Pat Riley that does not want to sign anyone past 2010.
& after resigning Wade, Beasley, Chalmers, Cook, Jones partial guaranteed contract we will be at.

Wade around 17,149,243 -this is an estimate from he contract now. this is not exact.
Beasley=4,962,240
Jones = around again 2,320,000- not positive either.
Cook= 2,169,856
Chalmers=847,000

& that's with out Banks 4,752,000, + 2009 two 2nd round picks, & 2010 1st round pick, & 2nd round pick.
another thing is that with the economy the way it is, don't expect the cap to go up to much if at all.

Pat is trying to accumulate as much money as possible for 2010, cause he has a plan. Not sure exactly what it is, but i trust Pat.

beasleyfan
04-03-2009, 02:53 PM
I am a K-State fan so I watched b-easy in college for everyone of his games. I have watched many heat games this season and it seems b-easy is already a SF slasher. Idk though I have some pretty LNBAIQ

Lord Leoshes
04-09-2009, 10:52 PM
I am a K-State fan so I watched b-easy in college for everyone of his games. I have watched many heat games this season and it seems b-easy is already a SF slasher. Idk though I have some pretty LNBAIQ

We don't have a problem with him on offense at SF. Its that he will not be able to defend the quicker SFs in this league. + his offensive game works better against slower PFs.

idizzle
04-16-2009, 03:25 PM
I think once he bulk up some more he could be the PF. I think Dorell Wright and Michael Beasley could be a 1-2 punch at the SF and PF spot.

I still think Dorell Wright can be the starting SF for the Heat, he just need to be consistent and stay healthy.

Lord Leoshes
04-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Am starting to like Wright at PF, more then at SF. He is a horrible shooter for a SF. I rather see him gain a little muscle & play closer to the rim.

beasted86
04-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Am starting to like Wright at PF, more then at SF. He is a horrible shooter for a SF. I rather see him gain a little muscle & play closer to the rim.

I agree... even as a tweener PF, such as Luc Richard Mbah Moute.

He could be a defensive PF, who has quickness and can take it to the hoop with his athleticism. But with how slim he is now... its probably too late. He's going to have to figure out a way to be an effective NBA player or he won't get another contract after next year.

Lord Leoshes
05-18-2009, 04:26 AM
Beasley in the future will play as good at the SF as on PF. Question is where does the Heat need him to play

24-Hours-Seasons-1-6-DVD-Boxset (http://www.mycollects.com/products/24-Hours-Seasons-1-6-DVD-Boxset-DVDS-1262.html)
Doctor-Who-Season-1-4-DVD-Boxset (http://www.mycollects.com/products/Doctor-Who-Season-1-4-DVD-Boxset-DVDS-1380.html)

Am crossing my fingers, & hoping he can be our future SF, but first he needs to improve, big time on his perimeter defense.
But if Melo, Walker, Jamison, G Robinson, & many others can, why cant Beasley?
Or what i like to call him (BRICKSLEY). :ohwell:

beasted86
06-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Well it appears the decision has been made...

Link: http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_basketball_heat/2009/06/is-the-power-already-gone-from-the-beasley-equation.html

Interesting interview posted at the Heat's website with Michael Beasley, with the forward discussing his offseason workout plans and pursuits.

Two questions, in particular, and their responses catch your eye.

Heat: Are there any areas of your game you're working on this summer?

Beasley: "I'm working on the things a shooting guard or a small forward would work on. I do a lot of screen work, a lot of jump shots, and ball handling, a lot of stuff point guards do. I know I may never play the one or two, but I feel if I work on those skills, it will be harder to guard me. I do a lot of stuff that Chauncey Billups does. I think he's the best point guard in the NBA, especially coming off screens. Why not try to emulate that? I feel like if I can add that to my game, I will be a tougher matchup."

Heat: Because you do play a lot of power forward, are you planning on putting on more weight?

Beasley: "I'm fine with my weight. I'm going to stay thin. I'm already undersized, so if I can't move, I can't play my game. I want to focus on being quicker at my position."

So is that it? Didn't Erik Spoelstra speak last season about how Michael was going to fill into his body? Wasn't the "power" part of power forward supposed to be the given?

There is plenty to be said about being versatile, honing perimeter skills. The effort is laudable. But there also is plenty to be said about having enough bulk to finish at the rim, or over the rim, absorb contact and have the strength to persevere.

The perimeter skills are already there. Giving up on the power game, the muscle game would be a shame.

I think it's a shame also. I always hope for the best as a Heat fan, but I expect to see an underachieving season from Beasley as he is forced to try and play SF.

I find it kind of hilarious that our SF will be taller than our PF, and this is supposed to help the team. :banghead:

veilside23
06-13-2009, 02:06 AM
tweener :D

kidding aside offense he could be a lamar odom type.

defense more of a 3

ZeN
06-13-2009, 02:22 AM
Is it possible the Heat could snatch up Odom for a decent amount at cash? It would be niiice to see Beasley at sf and Odom at pf, particularly the way Lamar can rebound so well.

I think if the lakers have to loose Odom because of salary issues.. he would do great returning to Miami.

beasted86
06-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Well being that the Heat is over the cap, they can't offer Odom anything more than the mid-level... and at this stage everyone agrees Odom is still a player worth anywhere from $8M-$10M.

So if the Lakers would take Haslem + filler for Odom in a sign & trade, it would be something Riley should look at. To avoid Odom's contract affecting their 2010 cap, the Heat could always opt out of Jones' contract, so I don't think it would affect long term plans too badly. But it would be up to the Lakers not wanting to extend Odom to the amount of years he wants... because I'm sure they'd be glad to have him back at ~$8M vs. $14M.

ZeN
06-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Well being that the Heat is over the cap, they can't offer Odom anything more than the mid-level... and at this stage everyone agrees Odom is still a player worth anywhere from $8M-$10M.

So if the Lakers would take Haslem + filler for Odom in a sign & trade, it would be something Riley should look at. To avoid Odom's contract affecting their 2010 cap, the Heat could always opt out of Jones' contract, so I don't think it would affect long term plans too badly. But it would be up to the Lakers not wanting to extend Odom to the amount of years he wants... because I'm sure they'd be glad to have him back at ~$8M vs. $14M.

nevermin......:oldlol:

Lord Leoshes
06-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Well it appears the decision has been made...

Link: http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_basketball_heat/2009/06/is-the-power-already-gone-from-the-beasley-equation.html

I think it's a shame also. I always hope for the best as a Heat fan, but I expect to see an underachieving season from Beasley as he is forced to try and play SF.

I find it kind of hilarious that our SF will be taller than our PF, and this is supposed to help the team. :banghead:

I rather him be as versatile as possible, it will only help us more.
Dont know if you remember when Laphonso Ellis, or Billy Owens played for us, but that's the kind of impact Beasley will be having, shifting from SF, to PF.

DKLaker
06-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Dude is a classic Tweener, he'll have much better success as a SF.......he'd have no chance guarding any of the top 15 PF's in the league.....but then again no chance against the top 10 SF's either.

Pat Reilly
08-13-2009, 07:42 PM

I prefer him at pf but... with Haslem there too and Wright/Jones the best options at sf... where would you start him this year?

beasted86
08-14-2009, 01:57 PM
I prefer him at pf but... with Haslem there too and Wright/Jones the best options at sf... where would you start him this year?

Well I started this topic before the halfway point of the season. After seeing him play through the rest of the season, the playoffs, watching his progress in the videos on the Heat's NBA.com webpage, etc...

I'm still not sold on him being a SF :oldlol:. I think he can be a versatile "forward" like Spoelstra & Riley described him... unwilling to tie him to either position full time. Guys like Jamison, Lewis, Diaw, etc... have made a successful career out of playing both postions effectively, I'm just hoping the same can happen for Beasley.

It really depends on what other personel moves the Heat make to determine where he will see most of his minutes. But I think next season he'll see the most minutes at SF since there isn't many other options.

Lord Leoshes
08-20-2009, 01:28 PM
From every report coming out of the Heat is Beasley is being groomed to start at SF the same way A Walker started for us. Will it work? we'll see in preseason.
I hope he can be the kind of tweener that you really don't care what position he is on cause he is just that good. :bowdown:

TBone
08-20-2009, 08:52 PM
I like Beasley's game. It kind of reminds me of George Gervin. For those too young to remember, George "Iceman" Gervin was a silky smooth forward for the San Antonio Spurs back in the 70's and 80's. His finger roll was ridiculous!!! :pimp:

I want to see him get minutes in both spots mainly because of the match up problems it would cause. I would like to see him take less 3's. I'd prefer him to play from about 20' to inside the paint.

beasted86
08-20-2009, 10:51 PM
I like Beasley's game. It kind of reminds me of George Gervin. For those too young to remember, George "Iceman" Gervin was a silky smooth forward for the San Antonio Spurs back in the 70's and 80's. His finger roll was ridiculous!!! :pimp:

I want to see him get minutes in both spots mainly because of the match up problems it would cause. I would like to see him take less 3's. I'd prefer him to play from about 20' to inside the paint.

Beasley barely took 3PT shots last season. He took 81 total 3s in 81 games last season. 1 shot per game.

G-train
08-21-2009, 02:35 AM
I can see Beasley being mainly a 3 in the future, but I think he should stick the to power forward 80% of the time for the next 2 seasons or so. I'm not really sold on his defense at the 3, but if he keeps working on it in practice he will get to the required level.

TBone
08-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Beasley barely took 3PT shots last season. He took 81 total 3s in 81 games last season. 1 shot per game.

Never said Beasley took a lot of 3's; just said I hope he takes less. You have to realize being a PF, Beasley needs to be closer to the basket for rebounding. A lot of times last season, we were outrebounded and that limited our chances for offensive rebounds.

Lord Leoshes
10-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Never said Beasley took a lot of 3's; just said I hope he takes less. You have to realize being a PF, Beasley needs to be closer to the basket for rebounding. A lot of times last season, we were outrebounded and that limited our chances for offensive rebounds.

Some one should inform Dirk about that. :ohwell:

G-train
12-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Beasley has definitely looked more comfortable at the four defensively this season. However offensively he can play the 3/4.
Yesterday at Denver he was scoring against Melo and K-Mart.

He is such a smoothe offensive player - he will be a 23+ ppg player next season.

Fallguy20
05-02-2010, 05:48 PM
What does it matter if he plays PF or SF, he clearly is turning into a scrub.

Lord Leoshes
05-04-2010, 12:02 AM

Thats your opinion & i disagree.

ZeN
05-05-2010, 08:18 AM

wow.. such hate man..

Fallguy20
05-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Thats your opinion & i disagree.

I said turning, he isnt one yet. I still think he will turn out to be one of the better PF/SFs in the league... eventually... but he has definately gotten close to flatlining in Miami.

Jasper
05-06-2010, 11:36 PM
He is an interesting topic , and most ISH posters look at him or view him with his off court issues.
he is young and with little college direction , is learning through the NBA.

I actually see him as a PF , and as past posters stated in this thread - he is dynamic (some call him a tweener)

There's a color commentator on TNT that played for the 6'ers , Suns and Rockets - yep Charles Barkley.

If I would be the Heat coaching staff, I'd find ever freakin' film of Sir Charles and have Beas watch until he shaves his head or forgets about the braids :oldlol:

When he was drafted I stated and continue to believe he will have a long career and his career totals will be a double double .

entropy35
05-08-2010, 06:45 AM
When he was drafted I stated and continue to believe he will have a long career and his career totals will be a double double .
I see him as more of a scorer, like a melo of the PF position. I also though he would get at least 10 rebounds a game coming out of college but i think it may only happen in his prime for like 2-3 years. I can see him averaging 25/8 if he doesn't play behind a superstar.

The guy has one of the smoothest jumpers, so aesthetically beautiful.