PDA

View Full Version : Jackson and Van Gundy accuse MJ of 'faking' flu game

Manute for Ever!
01-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Did anyone see at the start of the Cavs-Hornets game today when Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy were talking about Lebron and Big Ben being sick?
Mark Jackson brought up MJ versus the Jazz in the finals and here is the back and forth dialogue:

Van Gundy: I'm not sure he was always that sick, I think that was a little bit of fabrication.

Jackson: Are you saying he was acting?

VG: I'm saying he wasn't as sick as maybe portrayed, especially in that Utah game, I'm not buying it, he was too good that night.

J: I agree, I think he worked the crowd

Breen: You digress and it is not even a minute into the game?

VG: I'm still hurt by all of the losses I took from him, that's why.

J: There's no way you can play that well sick and nobody can play that well healthy.

What do you guys think? Sour grapes? I remember watching that game live over a decade ago and have watched it several times since and he looked pretty bad, eyes were red and puffy, Pippen helping him off the floor afterward... I have it on DVD, might have to have another look and form a mature opinion, but I think he was legitimately very, vey ill.
What is your opinion? Truly sick, Faking it or a case of the sniffles but working the crowd?

picc84
01-17-2009, 12:48 AM

:oldlol:

Thats why I love JVG. Great sense of humor and can poke fun at himself.

Indian guy
01-17-2009, 12:50 AM
MJ looked visibly sick in that game. How the hell do you 'fake' that?

AirGauge23
01-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Not the first time JVG has made these type of comments about MJ.

Edit: Con Game

bokes15
01-17-2009, 12:51 AM
yeah. it was clearly a joke.

Riker
01-17-2009, 12:52 AM
Did anyone see at the start of the Cavs-Hornets game today when Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy were talking about Lebron and Big Ben being sick?
Mark Jackson brought up MJ versus the Jazz in the finals and here is the back and forth dialogue:

What do you guys think? Sour grapes? I remember watching that game live over a decade ago and have watched it several times since and he looked pretty bad, eyes were red and puffy, Pippen helping him off the floor afterward... I have it on DVD, might have to have another look and form a mature opinion, but I think he was legitimately very, vey ill.
What is your opinion? Truly sick, Faking it or a case of the sniffles but working the crowd?

What they said is

MJ wasnt that sick

James is way more sick

James >>> MJ

They preparing their playground

And yes, they both are losers that didnt win jack **** in NBA and have no credit given to their loose ramblings

OldSchoolBBall
01-17-2009, 12:52 AM
Completely ridiculous. You could see it in his body language and, more importantly, his eyes. Sorry, but you can't fake glassy eyes. Go watch the video.

Manute for Ever!
01-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Completely ridiculous. You could see it in his body language and, more importantly, his eyes. Sorry, but you can't fake glassy eyes. Go watch the video.

I pointed the eyes out in the OP :cheers:

gts
01-17-2009, 01:00 AM
listening to van gundy tonight i can see why he loses his teams respect/attention after some time... i couldn't listen to that guy everyday

Meticode
01-17-2009, 01:01 AM

Thats why I love JVG. Great sense of humor and can poke fun at himself.

I chuckled at that comment he made.

Jordandunk23
01-17-2009, 01:02 AM
it was all for fun... making the commentating enjoyable.. he mentioned how he was mad about all the losses he took from him lol... nothing serious

Manute for Ever!
01-17-2009, 01:04 AM
it was all for fun... making the commentating enjoyable.. he mentioned how he was mad about all the losses he took from him lol... nothing serious

Van Gundy seemed like he was joking, but Mark Jackson sounded pretty serious.

Riker
01-17-2009, 01:07 AM
Marc Jackson has Jordan complex...since he was throttled outta the game by him and Pippen in the Pacer series, I know his frustration is a big one.

Oh man Jordan crushed so many dreams in the league...they hate that guy with passion

icewill36
01-17-2009, 01:50 AM
he was actually hungover not sick

ElPigto
01-17-2009, 01:58 AM
listening to van gundy tonight i can see why he loses his teams respect/attention after some time... i couldn't listen to that guy everyday

He never lost the Rockets.

I don't remember hearing that he lost the Knicks either. In fact I think it was the other way around, he lost interest or something (not sure about this one so I coudl be corrected).

jrong
01-17-2009, 02:30 AM
Oh man Jordan crushed so many dreams in the league...they hate that guy with passion

That is true. Many all-time greats retired ringless because of Mike: Ewing, Barkley, Stockton, Malone, etc.

But, as to whether he played up how sick he was-- please! He was given IV fluids and was nearly hospitalized after the game. And in the fourth quarter, Pippen had to physically support him when he walked back and forth between the bench during timeouts.

Charles_Oakley
01-17-2009, 02:37 AM
MJ looked visibly sick in that game. How the hell do you 'fake' that?

I heard that Jordan took acting classes to portray himself as sick.

Seriously though, Van Gundy was clearly joking about it but Mark Jackson was serious which is expected since he just hates Jordan's guts.

Indian guy
01-17-2009, 02:38 AM
I heard that Jordan took acting classes to portray himself as sick.

Seriously though, Van Gundy was clearly joking about it but Mark Jackson was serious which is expected since he just hates Jordan's guts.

JVG did NOT sound like he was joking.

BlazersDozen
01-17-2009, 02:39 AM
I wish JVG did commentary on every game I watch. I seriously watched the entire Cavs game tonight even though the offenses were so bland and the Hornets were giving no effort, just because I love JVG and Jackson. I watched the Laker game at a retaurant with no volume and I was ok with it because I hate Hubie Brown's commentary. I love Mike Tirico's commentary as well as everything he does because he does so much research and has so much knowledge about every sport but Brown brings him down. Put Tirico with JVG and Jackson and thats the best commentary team ever.

Riker
01-17-2009, 02:41 AM
Imagine how pathetic Marc life is.

Jordan STILL owns him.

Every game Marc does, he always finds SOME way to take any random jab at Jordan.

Even tho, last time I've checked, Jordan played 6 years ago.

He keeps bringing him up and trying to diminish any MJ stuff with some worthless comparisons.

It just makes you respect MJ more.

While MJ in the Bahamas now in his tournament with cigars in his teeth playing some terrible golf and not giving a **** about basketball in general, this chump feeds on sayin stupid **** like that.

Only for one reason. To make him feel better. About a chance MJ ****ed him over for 11 years ago.

So basically, Jackson is MJ's drone for 11 years. What a way to live your life.

YAWN
01-17-2009, 03:00 AM
JVG did NOT sound like he was joking.
yeah he did...and when has he ever not sounded like hes joking..

Maestro33
01-17-2009, 04:14 AM
I remember reports of him actually puking. That said I think the Pip carrying thing was probably a lil overdone or perhaps he was delerious.

wang4three
01-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Even if it was fake, I don't want to know about it. It was inspirational to my 12 year old self.

chains5000
01-17-2009, 09:30 AM
yeah. it was clearly a joke.
+1

godofgods
01-18-2009, 04:25 AM
Jordan was faking it. A few years down the road, Kobe followed suit, pretending he got food poisoning. These two were such clowns and drama queens.

trig
01-18-2009, 10:04 AM
it was clearly a joke. if pierce can play well with a knee injury, MJ can play well with a flu.

seriously, MJ at 40 is still one hell of a player. Being in your prime while having a flu is surely be better than playing at 40

Riker
01-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Jordan was faking it. A few years down the road, Kobe followed suit, pretending he got food poisoning. These two were such clowns and drama queens.

Let the truth be known, playboy

LebrickJames84'
01-18-2009, 09:07 PM

lol.

miller-time
01-18-2009, 09:08 PM
ive seen space jam, michael jordan can't act. it was real.

gpfanz
01-18-2009, 09:18 PM
It was real. I was the one who passed the flu to him

OneMoreSucka
01-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Hey man don't hate on Space Jam, GOAT movie. :bowdown:

johndough
01-18-2009, 09:51 PM
"...nobody can play that well healthy"

Hmmm, I wonder what he meant by that? That's the interesting bit.....ESPECIALLY coming from Van Gundy.

JJ81
01-18-2009, 10:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgCxAMP3GH4

milehighnuggz
01-19-2009, 12:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko6oXXdA8iA

Will anyone ever have a ceremony like this... its kinda of unreal, just stumbled across it.

jackson is just jealous that no one cared when he retired.

Manute for Ever!
01-19-2009, 09:28 AM

gotbacon23
01-19-2009, 10:38 AM
i have the flu game on DVD and, oddly enough, i just watched it a few days ago. there is no chance that he was faking. dude could barely hold his head up during the game and he looked basically dead. that rebound off his own missed free throw, the double of pippen in the post, pippens pass back to jordan open for three, the three for the lead, and then jordan coming back off the court with pippen holding him up was beyond legendary and something i'll never forget. this was his GOAT game in my opinion. out of his 6 finals, this was 1 of 2 series that was 2-2 after 4 games (portland was the other, all other finals it was 3-1 bulls after 4 games), and it was a must win game 5. stuff legends are made of (even though he was already a legend at that point anyway)

Biddy77
01-19-2009, 11:30 AM
it was real. i haven't watched that game in years, but i vividly recall the bit with pip helping him over to the bench, and the way his body sagged every time they blew a whistle/stopped the game. the guy was going on willpower alone--the same way he did once when he scored 30-something on us (portland) playing on one leg due to a bad ankle sprain.

MJ was a freak.

i got very choked up watching that flu game. that was a crazy thing to witness.

Riker
01-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Well having in mind that Marc Jackson is a starter for NBA's All Time Loser squad, I don't see how any of his opinions matter.

Last year in Finals he was comparing Garnett to Russell and some other frivolousness I refused to remember.

If that's his way to get attention, he's more pathetic that I've ever thought he could be.

NoGunzJustSkillz
01-19-2009, 12:14 PM

maybe he was drinking rite up until tip-off.

Stringer Bell
02-26-2009, 04:59 AM
Jordan looked sick as a dog, but Bernard King's flu game in 84 was better.

Jordan had two functioning middle fingers, unlike Bernard.

bballuser
06-20-2010, 05:30 AM
And in the fourth quarter, Pippen had to physically support him when he walked back and forth between the bench during timeouts.

I don't know if he was faking or not, but I don't see how you could run up and down the court by yourself, but then you need someone to carry you back to the bench.

Imagine how pathetic Marc life is.

Jordan STILL owns him.

Every game Marc does, he always finds SOME way to take any random jab at Jordan.

Even tho, last time I've checked, Jordan played 6 years ago.

He keeps bringing him up and trying to diminish any MJ stuff with some worthless comparisons.

It just makes you respect MJ more.

While MJ in the Bahamas now in his tournament with cigars in his teeth playing some terrible golf and not giving a **** about basketball in general, this chump feeds on sayin stupid **** like that.

Only for one reason. To make him feel better. About a chance MJ ****ed him over for 11 years ago.

So basically, Jackson is MJ's drone for 11 years. What a way to live your life.

In that case, looks like a lot of people own Jordan, given how he fired random jabs at almost everyone in his HOF acceptance speech. Van Gundy owns him, Bryon Russell owns him 12 years later, Isiah still owns him 25 years later, etc.

ImmortalD24
06-20-2010, 05:45 AM
I'm with Jackson and Gundy on this one.. MJ is still the goat, but he pierced this one.

http://i49.tinypic.com/34iheud.jpg

Hold me pippen.. hold!!!!! :roll:

zizozain
06-20-2010, 06:21 AM
He took a shot at Jeff Van Gundy, calling him "the little guy who became the Knicks head coach," Jeff called him a con-artist: "He said I conned the players, I befriended them and then I'd attack them on the basketball court. That gave me the motivation that I so desperately needed."

Van Gundy was dead on. Jordan was, and still is, a con artist. He makes people think they are his friends, so long as these people can do something for him. eg Michael Wilbon, the columnist for the Washington Post

alexandreben
06-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Wilt "The Big Dipper" Chamberlain played in the finals with a broken hand and won the title/FMVP, anyone cares about it? No! Because he is Wilt Chamberlain. Jordan somehow drew way much more attention, why? Because he is Michael Jordan ohlala:roll:

asdf1990
06-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Wilt "The Big Dipper" Chamberlain played in the finals with a broken hand and won the title/FMVP, anyone cares about it? No! Because he is Wilt Chamberlain. Jordan somehow drew way much more attention, why? Because he is Michael Jordan ohlala:roll:

video or it didn't happen.

Roundball_Rock
06-20-2010, 11:11 AM

Also don't forget Kareem's legendary Game 5 in the 1980 NBA finals on a broken leg. ESPN never mentions that either...

PHILA
06-20-2010, 11:15 AM
video or it didn't happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjSGQb9oP-E#t=1m19s

Derka
06-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Mark Jackson is one of the lowest forms of life on Earth. Nuzzles up to the ******* of whatever player happens to be hot at a given moment.