PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Fernandez will be in the dunk contest

Myth
01-18-2009, 09:31 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/01/fernandez_headed_to_las_vegas.html

Rudy won the fan vote. I'm torn by this. I like it because I can't remember the last time a Blazer was in the dunk contest and because I'm intrigued by what types of things Rudy may try, because he has creative, unorthodox moves on the court, and I'm wondering if that will be reflected in dunks. However, part of me also says that he wasn't the best choice. I think if I wasn't a BLazer fan, I'd want Joe Alexander to be in it.

Either way, I didn't expect any of the rookies in the contest to win it anyway.

SESSEL15
01-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Carter, Richardson, Gay, Howard

Now that would be an entertaining dunk off

Cangri
01-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Is he any good at dunking?

nbastatus
01-18-2009, 09:35 PM
i dont see any good dunk for him yet...
mostly two handed dunks with no hops.
but who knows he mights surprise us.

Kevin_Garnett_5
01-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Joe Alexander said he had two dunks that have never been done before........

nbastatus
01-18-2009, 09:37 PM
i'd like to see him in the dunk contest.

TMAC-RAPTORS
01-18-2009, 09:37 PM
WOw i can't believe hes in it.

MTing
01-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Prepare for a pretty boring dunk contest..

Cangri
01-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Sounds to me like he's talking out of his ass, but i hope it's true.
If he impress me in his first dunk, I'll root for him against Howard.

Kevin_Garnett_5
01-18-2009, 09:40 PM
^He's not in it.

Myth
01-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Sounds to me like he's talking out of his ass, but i hope it's true.
If he impress me in his first dunk, I'll root for him against Howard.

Except for this news means he will not be in the contest at all. I was really curious to see Joe Alexander's dunks.

OneMoreSucka
01-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Rudy has no hops, he won't even get to the second round.

TakitoEspanoza
01-18-2009, 09:41 PM
dunk contest is officially a joke

CasterL
01-18-2009, 09:42 PM
i wanted joe alexander in, guy bangs his forhead off the rim simply to warm up, crazy hops

Premier
Bull, Joe Alexander and Russell Westbrook would both do better in a contest then him IMO.

Biddy77
yyyyeeeaaahhhh...

i'm a big blazer fan, but this is ridiculous.

joe alexander should definitely have been the guy.

TMT
01-18-2009, 09:43 PM
i'd like to see him in the dunk contest.

Like JVG said, he should worry about getting into his team's rotation before worrying about winning the dunk contest.

Da KO King
01-18-2009, 09:43 PM
This sucks.....

Joe Alexander would have put on a show.

Thank you to the "fans" for once again proving you do not deserve to vote on All Star Weekend participants.

DeuceWallaces
01-18-2009, 09:44 PM
I voted for Joe, but I hope Rudy does OK.

Mississippi
01-18-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm expecting pretty basic dunks from Fernandez.

DuMa
01-18-2009, 09:46 PM
wow how did vanilla sky not win? he had the chinese vote for ****s sake

plat1numX
Hopefully it wont be a boring contest

Alonzo Magic
Damn, I like Rudy, but I voted for Joe.

Those darn Spaniards, aye?

lowblok
01-18-2009, 09:47 PM
This sucks.....

Joe Alexander would have put on a show.

Thank you to the "fans" for once again proving you do not deserve to vote on All Star Weekend participants.

I thought Joe would get the chinese vote behind him!!

Myth
01-18-2009, 09:48 PM
wow how did vanilla sky not win? he had the chinese vote for ****s sake

My guess is that Rudy also got a lot of Chinese votes. He played great in the Olympics and the Chinese pay close attention to Olympic basketball.

Glo41
01-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Well I'm pretty sure he wouldn't wanna be in this dunk contest so bad if he didn't have anything up his sleeve. I'm not expecting any ground breaking stuff but I just hope he does more then just regular dunks.

Biddy77
01-18-2009, 09:53 PM
rudy is almost exclusively a 1-foot jumper who can't dunk from the foul line. that generally doesn't bode well.

Showtime
01-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Alexander deserved to be in more.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=iG3yIgH2yF4

The kid's got springs. He touched his nose to the rim...

http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/General/1211177907.jpg

plat1numX
01-18-2009, 09:54 PM
I would rather have moon in the contest, the guy can actually give us a good show, too be he didn't do his best dunks last year, and Rudy sucks why is he in this

Maniak
01-18-2009, 10:00 PM
JRich
Howard
Moon
Green

Would have rather seen this group. People tend to forget Green last year dunked without any shoes on...

plat1numX
01-18-2009, 10:03 PM
JRich
Howard
Moon
Green

Would have rather seen this group. People tend to forget Green last year dunked without any shoes on...
Most people dont know how hard that is, but either way it didnt "look" all that good

OneMoreSucka
01-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Not impressive when you're as good of a dunker/jumper as he is.

Biddy77
01-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Most people dont know how hard that is, but either way it didnt "look" all that good

so true.

i think the best possible dunk for rudy would be a self-oop/bounce caught for most of a 360... which we've already seen him do in a game off a pass from sergio.

i really don't see him breaking out anything creative at all.

OneMoreSucka
01-18-2009, 10:07 PM
After seeing this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXDpF4LeOrs I hope to god he gets injured so joe alexander can replace him.

iDunk
01-18-2009, 10:08 PM
All them Mexicans have bought computers I see.

C-Webb4
01-18-2009, 10:08 PM

Now that would be an entertaining dunk off
Maybe if this was Carter/Richardson of 4-5 years ago...

Biddy77
01-18-2009, 10:10 PM

yyyeeaaahhh.... 'all them mexicans' from... spain...

Kumo
01-18-2009, 10:11 PM
I wish this wasn't a popularity contest...

lilderrickrose
01-18-2009, 10:12 PM
I think Rudy is the best showman. Westbrook is to small even though he has a huge vertical to do dunks we have never seen before. Alexander has no creativity except hitting his head on the rim.

I wish Derrick Rose was in it, he has the sickest windmills ever.

BlazersDozen
After seeing this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXDpF4LeOrs I hope to god he gets injured so joe alexander can replace him.

:oldlol:

Do you really think he would show the best dunks he can do in a "preview" video?

Anyways, Rudy isn't even the best dunker on the Blazers. Jerryd Bayless is.

Biddy77
rudy isn't even the best dunker on the blazers...

edited because i just noticed that BlazersDozen beat me to the punch with the point about being the best dunker on the team. Bayless, Outlaw, Roy, and Webster can all out dunk Rudy.

No.45
01-18-2009, 10:14 PM
why not have all three in the dunk contest ?

Revelation
Man..I was really looking forward to seeing Joe Alexander throw down some nasty dunks.

Rudy Fernandez is most likley going to suck.

iDunk
They should've put Steve Blake in the contest...

SESSEL15
01-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Maybe if this was Carter/Richardson of 4-5 years ago...

Lol, I guess so. They can both still get up there though. Probably still got more creativity than most of the other great dunkers in the league. It might not be seem in games, but everyone knows they have it.

SESSEL15
01-18-2009, 10:29 PM

Lol, u had to go there

BlazersDozen
01-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Lol, I guess so. They can both still get up there though. Probably still got more creativity than most of the other great dunkers in the league. It might not be seem in games, but everyone knows they have it.

True, Richardson just did a 360 last week.

Rekindled
01-18-2009, 10:35 PM
well if brent barry can win dunk contest , i dont see why rudy cant.

SESSEL15
01-18-2009, 10:41 PM
well if brent barry can win dunk contest , i dont see why rudy cant.

I think that the NBA tries way to hard to implement fan's votes into the all-star weekend. Now I know its all about the fans, but I think If they made their decisions from more of an entertainment standpoint, the weekend would be much better and have higher ratings. Now what I mean for example, let Stern pick out the most entertaining players for the dunk off, the best players for the all-star game. I know it seems farfatched but come on, the only people voting for these things are the people who have too much times in their hands and the people who aren't even in North America.

Granny Danger
01-18-2009, 10:48 PM
He talks like Borat. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_RE5N1KuZs&feature=channel)
An intervieuw with him and Roy should be entertaining...

tedloc
01-18-2009, 10:50 PM
dunk contest is officially a joke
the eagles are officially a joke...
rudy will suprise some people

adamcz
01-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Now what I mean for example, let Stern pick out the most entertaining players for the dunk off, the best players for the all-star game.Stern likely did choose these players. How else could Rudy Fernandez have been voted in? We've had like 20 threads about this vote, and virtually every ISH poster said they were voting for Alexander. Where did all these votes for Rudy come from? Why was it not even announced in advance when voting would end? Was quite the black box of a voting system. And look at the result! The worst dunker of the three contestants was chosen.

SESSEL15
01-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Stern likely did choose these players. How else could Rudy Fernandez have been voted in? We've had like 20 threads about this vote, and virtually every ISH poster said they were voting for Alexander. Where did all these votes for Rudy come from? Why was it not even announced in advance when voting would end? Was quite the black box of a voting system. And look at the result! The worst dunker of the three contestants was chosen.

Never saw any of those 20 threads but ok. This board isn't at all a good representation of all basketball fans, so the votes had to come from somewhere. I doubt Stern chose him, but its anyones guess.

Sinox
01-18-2009, 10:54 PM
I was hoping to see Joe Alexander to be the first Taiwan born dunker ever.
The first one and the last one. AHHH
But Rudy is fine too, I like his alley-oops.

nbastatus
01-18-2009, 11:08 PM
the eagles are officially a joke...
rudy will suprise some people
yeah a slightly better version of this crap dunk :oldlol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbGG3BLIff8

Godfather
01-18-2009, 11:14 PM
What a fail...

Joe Alexander is such a better dunker than this kid it isn't even funny.

1~Gibson~1
01-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Anybody got some good dunks by fernandez. and not just your regular one hand slam, i wanna see his nose sniff the rim or somethin

(i wanted Joe :rant )

Noob Saibot
01-18-2009, 11:29 PM

throw rudy gay out, he hasn't beat Howard, and unless Howard runs out of gimmicks and props, i don't see Rudy outdunking Superman. JRich would still put on a show with his trademark windmills and 360s. VC might be too old, but no doubt he can still jam it.

Skywalker
01-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Granny Danger
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I wanna trade usernames with you.

kidachi
01-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Alexander or Westbrook would be fine.. why Rudy? he's a great player, but for a dunk contest? IDK I doubt it.:banghead:

Granny Danger
01-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Not gonna happen.
You can have Bauncey Chillups :cheers:

3stat2
01-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Rudy has an athletic disadvantage in this contest.

First off, you have Dwight, who jumps several inches higher than Rudy and has such a high reach that... well, we all saw the sticker dunk. If you can get that high, you can pull off some sick dunks.

Then you have Nate, who jumps probably 42+ inches on most of his dunks. Even though he probably can't get his hand above the top of the square, he's got the motor coordination and quick hands to do between-the-legs dunks and windmills. Besides, all his dunks look like they're out of a video game because of how short he is.

Then you've got Rudy Gay, who has a ridiculous wingspan and still jumps near 40 inches. At 6'9, that means his head gets pretty close to the rim. He can take off from pretty far and with those crazy arms, he can probably get his hands well above the top of the square.

Then you've got Rudy. A guy who has the least hops out of anyone in the contest, an unimpressive wingspan and a dunk resume which is topped by a reverse alleyoop where he just manages to get his head over the bottom of the net.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on Rudy - I'd love to have him on my team and he's going to be a great player. Maybe he'll surprise us. But maybe not. And I just don't like the thought of having someone in a NBA dunk contest who could probably be out-dunked by a few people from the ISH streetball forum.

Fatal9
01-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Why was this guy selected in the first place? He had one decent dunk which they ended up replaying a thousand times to convince people he was actually a good dunker.

This dunk contest is going to suck. Not worth staying in Saturday to watch it. What else can Dwight really do? Nate has always been awful. Rudy Gay was a joke last year. And RF can barely dunk. They might have to shut down the contest for a couple of years after this one.

1~Gibson~1
01-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Not gonna happen.
You can have Bauncey Chillups :cheers:its nice to see a new posters thats not a homer :cheers:

DuMa
01-18-2009, 11:44 PM
can anyone find youtube vids of him dunking in euroleague?

Myth
01-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Why was it not even announced in advance when voting would end?

Uh... it was. The voting ended last Wednesday and I was aware of it a while in advance.

TMAC-RAPTORS
01-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Can believe this guy got over Moon.

1~Gibson~1
01-18-2009, 11:49 PM
can anyone find youtube vids of him dunking in euroleague?this is from the olympics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47VLce11WDM) :lol

Fatal9
01-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Can believe this guy got over Moon.
Moon got ****ed last year. He was going to do the dunk where he takes off a foot behind the freethrow line but he had to follow the stupid rule where you have to use a teammate for one of the first two dunks. Otherwise I think he would have won.

Fatal9
01-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Jeeeeeesus, I am looking at some of Rudy's dunks and wondering if this guy is even capable of pulling off a simple windmill.

:oldlol: at his dunk contest preview

Alonzo Magic
01-19-2009, 12:00 AM
The preview was ridiculous, he was barely making simple dunks. :oldlol: I seriously hope he's hustling the competition pretending to be wack and then coming out with some nice sh*t. Otherwise, get out the popcorn and enjoy the comedy.

Showtime
01-19-2009, 12:18 AM
And this is why the NBA is a joke. Instead of getting people who know about the game, they pull BS. The dunk competition with the rules and contestants is a perfect example. The AS voting is another example.

D-Rose
01-19-2009, 12:20 AM
I was hoping for Westbrook...eh this seems like an international marketing campagin too for Spain.

01-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Rudy is going to have Joel Prizbilla feeding him lobs. This is going to be great.

Give Rudy a shot guys. Who said you have to hit your head on the rim to make great dunks?

Fatal9 Why was this guy selected in the first place? He had one decent dunk which they ended up replaying a thousand times to convince people he was actually a good dunker.
I have seen Rudy in 2 or 3 top dunks on ESPN. Not to mention when he posterized Howard.

DCL
01-19-2009, 12:35 AM
the good old days had 8 contestants in each contest.

Prodigy
01-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Does someone have a link of Alexander's highlight dunks? I watched his dunk contest promo videos and none of the dunks he did seemed special in the least bit. :confusedshrug:

Reverend Hoops
01-19-2009, 12:40 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

@ the the two handed basic slam.

Valliant13
01-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Alexander did a one step Honey Dip...that is friggin impressive. I love Rudys game, and cheer for him as a player....but he is a slighly abover average dunker for a SG. Alexander should be in the contest.

Biddy77
01-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Does someone have a link of Alexander's highlight dunks? I watched his dunk contest promo videos and none of the dunks he did seemed special in the least bit. :confusedshrug:

there are vids floating around of him dunking from the free throw line, *easily* doing the East Bay Funk Dunk (through the legs), doing the VC elbow-hang dunk off a one-step jump, etc.

DCL
01-19-2009, 12:51 AM
who were the fans who voted this one? are they retarded and where the hell are they from? did spain pull a china?

Showtime
01-19-2009, 01:03 AM
who were the fans who voted this one? are they retarded and where the hell are they from? did spain pull a china?
Once again, the masses aren't the best decision makers, because by and large, they don't know who will make the most exciting dunk contest.

kumquat
01-19-2009, 01:17 AM
Once again, the masses aren't the best decision makers, because by and large, they don't know who will make the most exciting dunk contest.

Geroge Bush will attest to that :oldlol:

Luigi
01-19-2009, 01:26 AM
This could really end up hurting Fernadez' likeability/populatrity.

He is easily mistaken for a super athlete because of his coordination and style on the court. When people see him get smoked by people with real ups, everyone is going to look at his jukes and instead of being impressed, they're going to remember him failing at all star weekend and keeping legit contendors out.

Not his fault, but he'll bear the negative consequences. Sad.

Diesel J
01-19-2009, 01:30 AM

He is easily mistaken for a super athlete because of his coordination and style on the court. When people see him get smoked by people with real ups, everyone is going to look at his jukes and instead of being impressed, they're going to remember him failing at all star weekend and keeping legit contendors out.

I agree.

blazerftc
01-19-2009, 01:35 AM
I can't help but laugh at this entire thread full of whiners and b****ers. In the end it's a BS contest that has zero effect on the season as a whole. It's there for no other reason than for the participants to have some fun, and put on a show for fans. And, as it turns out, in this case the fans have spoken. Why get so bunched up about it? There will be another contest next year, and the year after, and the year after that, and so on. Get the f*** over it :oldlol: :oldlol:

01-19-2009, 01:36 AM

Not his fault, but he'll bear the negative consequences. Sad.

Or he could be the guy that steals the show? Have you seen him in a dunk show yet?

All Rudy has to do is a get a Fat Head of Howard standing in front of the rim. And laying down in front of Howard have a Kobe Fat Head with busted ankles. It may not win but it would be funny as hell to watch.

I heard Rudy was going to dunk two balls at the same time.

Younggrease
01-19-2009, 01:44 AM

Do you really think he would show the best dunks he can do in a "preview" video?

Anyways, Rudy isn't even the best dunker on the Blazers. Jerryd Bayless is.

some would say RJeff is a better dunker then Joe Alexander...Joe mght be better then Rudy but Rudy is funny and Im happy for him. Whether watch him suck and have fun then watch bummy ass, stiff, no skill Joe Alexander do anything with a basketball

I wish someone like a Kobe or Bron would do one of these...then it would get interesting

YAWN
01-19-2009, 01:46 AM
thats ****ing bull ****. joe alexander should of been in this.

did they release the final voting numbers?

asd
01-19-2009, 01:49 AM
sounds like somebody called for the waaaambulance up in here. ya bunch of babies.

blazerftc
01-19-2009, 01:50 AM
sounds like somebody called for the waaaambulance up in here. ya bunch of babies.

Finally! Someone who understands!!

Luigi
01-19-2009, 01:58 AM
I can't help but laugh at this entire thread full of whiners and b****ers. In the end it's a BS contest that has zero effect on the season as a whole. It's there for no other reason than for the participants to have some fun, and put on a show for fans. And, as it turns out, in this case the fans have spoken. Why get so bunched up about it? There will be another contest next year, and the year after, and the year after that, and so on. Get the f*** over it :oldlol: :oldlol:

-I don't think anybody has argued that the contest has an effect on the season.
-The exhibition "has no other reason than" a good show. I believe the quality of the show is a function of the quality of the contestants.
-Yes, the fans have spoken. I'd be interested to see stats on the voting details: where did they come from? Why did voters say they voted the way they did?
-If the contest is illigitimate this year (i.e, not including the real dunkers), why look forward to another bs competition next year?

The saddest part of it all, the contest once featured the honest to goodness, best dunkers in the league. I wish it did now. The dunk gets a lot of us to turn the tv on and watch sports center. It inspires five star threads on ISH. It is has the potential to be one of the best things about all star weekend, and we all hate to see wasted potential. Am I going to get in a bunch over it? No. But as a basketball fan, I still wish it was what it could be.

nbastatus
01-19-2009, 02:09 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

@ the the two handed basic slam.
ill join you
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BrooklynZoo
01-19-2009, 02:13 AM
how did alexander manage to lose this? didnt the chinese vote

Kblaze8855
01-19-2009, 02:20 AM
I thought it was unlikely anyone wins vs somone with a country behind them. Im sure not everyone in Spain is a rudy fan but just about any spanish fan aware of fan voting for this is gonna vote for him. I like rudys game but in a dunk contest? You have to put Joe in.

Myth
01-19-2009, 02:30 AM
did they release the final voting numbers?

This hasn't been "officially" released yet, but the NBA said they are having a press meeting about the dunk contest to be held in Portland tomorrow. So maybe tomorrow they will release the final numbers.

ILballa
01-19-2009, 02:32 AM
I wanted to see Joe Alexander in the dunk contest. I wanted to see the two dunks no one has seen before. Him saying that should've changed everyone's mind and made them vote for him to see what he has up his sleeve.

StroShow4
01-19-2009, 03:20 AM
i personally wanted to see alexander. the man can put his nose on the rim, that's the type of dude i want to see in a dunk contest.

eprizzle14
01-19-2009, 03:23 AM
[QUOTE=BrooklynZoo]how did alexander manage to lose this? didnt the chinese vote[/QUOTE:oldlol:

chains5000
01-19-2009, 03:35 AM
YES!
Rudy for the win!

Showtime
01-19-2009, 03:41 AM
YES!
Rudy for the win!
Darrell Armstrong.

chains5000
01-19-2009, 03:41 AM
I thought it was unlikely anyone wins vs somone with a country behind them. Im sure not everyone in Spain is a rudy fan but just about any spanish fan aware of fan voting for this is gonna vote for him. I like rudys game but in a dunk contest? You have to put Joe in.
I voted for him like 10 times, but I know no one else who did. I don't think Spanish vote has the same effect as Chinese. Maybe Stern rigged it so an European would be in the contest? (Rudy's the 1st one to be there, right?)
That said, I expected Alexander to win.

bdreason
01-19-2009, 03:43 AM
Very surprising. I even joked with a friend how there was no way this guy could win the vote (aftre seeing the commercial)... guess the jokes on me.

YAWN
01-19-2009, 03:45 AM
This hasn't been "officially" released yet, but the NBA said they are having a press meeting about the dunk contest to be held in Portland tomorrow. So maybe tomorrow they will release the final numbers.

hope its just to say thanks for participating rudy

Younggrease
01-19-2009, 03:47 AM
Very surprising. I even joked with a friend how there was no way this guy could win the vote (aftre seeing the commercial)... guess the jokes on me.

I got the total opposite feeling from the commercial. Rudy is the one that came off as the most personable guy and charming guy imo.

Finn T-Mac
01-19-2009, 03:51 AM
Rudy can't even dunk that good. He just makes two handed dunks all the time :lol Alexander would have been the right choice, that guy has hops. This just goes to see how much TV programming affect voters, there are no national TV games for Bucks or Thunder so they go out and vote for Rudy. Just silly :confusedshrug:

chains5000
01-19-2009, 03:54 AM
I got the total opposite feeling from the commercial. Rudy is the one that came off as the most personable guy and charming guy imo.
Agreed. I was with friends when the commercial was shown on and everybody was laughing.
His accent is comical.

YAWN
01-19-2009, 04:02 AM

youre not going out on a date with the ****ing guy... hes going to compete in a slam dunk contest.

it just makes more sense to have joe alexander who has showed versatility with is dunks in the past as opposed to someone who cant do anything besides throw down alley oops.

Godfather
01-19-2009, 04:04 AM
youre not going out on a date with the ****ing guy... hes going to compete in a slam dunk contest.

it just makes more sense to have joe alexander who has showed versatility with is dunks in the past as opposed to someone who cant do anything besides throw down alley oops.
:applause:

Anyone who spent their time voting multiple times for Rudy should be ashamed of themselves and what they have reduced this once great event to.

chains5000
01-19-2009, 04:07 AM
:applause:

Anyone who spent their time voting multiple times for Rudy should be ashamed of themselves and what they have reduced this once great event to.
The contest has been a joke for a few years now.
I'm sure Rudy is also capable of doing a dunk with a cape...:rolleyes:

Younggrease
01-19-2009, 04:10 AM

do you expect everyone to vote to look up tapes of joe alexander doing stuff before he got to the NBA. No one knows who he is and its not like he has some great in game dunk resume

lol at people acting like Joe Alexander is some transcendant dunker...he wouldn do anything that hasnt been done before and dude is stuff with no charisma. At least Rudy will do a funny dance.

Godfather
01-19-2009, 04:12 AM
The contest has been a joke for a few years now.
I'm sure Rudy is also capable of doing a dunk with a cape...:rolleyes:

Dwights dunks outside of that layup were very impressive. Rudy would be lucky to pull anything near it off.

Lebron23
01-19-2009, 04:16 AM
Rudy is a great athlete, but i felt that Joe Alexander or Westbrook deserve to compete in the Slam Dunk Contest.

Godfather
01-19-2009, 04:18 AM
do you expect everyone to vote to look up tapes of joe alexander doing stuff before he got to the NBA. No one knows who he is and its not like he has some great in game dunk resume

lol at people acting like Joe Alexander is some transcendant dunker...he wouldn do anything that hasnt been done before and dude is stuff with no charisma. At least Rudy will do a funny dance.

:wtf:

Honestly what the hell... Though it might be funny seeing him booed?

dreaming121
01-19-2009, 04:28 AM
I like Rudy and all but I wanted Alexander to be in it more. This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQXIbHpMTyE) and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PKY3ashUMI) impressed me more than anything Rudy dunked.

Kblaze8855
01-19-2009, 05:04 AM
I'm sure Rudy is also capable of doing a dunk with a cape...

Im sure Vlade divic can do a dunk in a cape too. Even at his age. But neither of them can do what Dwight did.

Luigi
01-19-2009, 05:14 AM
do you expect everyone to vote to look up tapes of joe alexander doing stuff before he got to the NBA. No one knows who he is and its not like he has some great in game dunk resume. ...

This makes sense to me. ISH wants Joe. ISH spends time looking at guys like him. The majority of voters might have heard of Rudy.

Lebron23
01-19-2009, 05:25 AM
I want to see former NBA Slamdunk Champions Dwight Howard and Nate Robinson vs. NBDL Dunk Champion Brent Petway & NBDL leading Scorer James White.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omORXHw7yfg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omORXHw7yfg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4LHvAiBgwg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydrXlmd21D4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-AutoLU45Y&feature=channel

Respect on Brent Petway - The Defending NBDL Dunk Champion.

chains5000
01-19-2009, 05:27 AM
Im sure Vlade divic can do a dunk in a cape too. Even at his age. But neither of them can do what Dwight did.
I think Rudy deserves a chance. He's not gonna do it worse than Chris Andersen, rigth?

G-train
01-19-2009, 07:59 AM
I know Fernandez will surprise many of you ishiots.
However I would have preferred Westbrook.

LJJ
01-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Alexander bumping his head of the ring was impressive.

But I still rather watch players compete who will still be in the league in a couple of years.

Da KO King
01-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Joe Alexander lost because while many here view him as being Chinese raised most Chinese basketball fans just view him as a white guy. So no "Chinese vote advantage" for Alexander.

Rudy Fernandez on the other hand has an immense following in Spain. Fernandez was popular enough in Spain that he was able to go with just his first name on the back of his jersey. DKV Joventut does that only for extremely popular players.

kumquat
01-19-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't see why they don't put all 3 in. Dunk contests used to be a hell of a lot better when there were a stack of dunkers. At least that way theres a bit more of a surprise and better chance of some original dunks.

kumquat
01-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Oh yeh and "Vote me" and "no not that guy" has become part of my regular vocabulary :oldlol:

Jasi
01-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Slam Dunk Contest is for fans to watch TV and I'm sure fans will enjoy.

Rudy won because he had about all European voters for him. And because he is a funny guy, who you can always expect something surprising from.

Joe Alexander seems barely able to talk in the clip - does not look like a funny dunker at all.

Russell Westbrook... who?

Biddy77
01-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Slam Dunk Contest is for fans to watch TV and I'm sure fans will enjoy.

Rudy won because he had about all European voters for him. And because he is a funny guy, who you can always expect something surprising from.

Joe Alexander seems barely able to talk in the clip - does not look like a funny dunker at all.

Russell Westbrook... who?

i don't want to see a "funny" dunker. i want to see something amazing.

i'm 6'2", and when i was 17 i could do every dunk i've seen rudy do.

ukballer
01-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Damn Euros voting him in! :banana: (Let it be known I voted for Joe Alexander!)

I couldn't give two ****s if he can't string a sentence together, dude can bang his forehead against the rim whilst barely trying. :lol

Rudy better bring his best dunks, or he'll be boo'ed out of Phoenix.

Kleiza7
01-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Damn Euros voting him in! :banana: (Let it be known I voted for Joe Alexander!)

I couldn't give two ****s if he can't string a sentence together, dude can bang his forehead against the rim whilst barely trying. :lol

Rudy better bring his best dunks, or he'll be boo'ed out of Phoenix.

Imagine if Yi or Sun Ye from lakers getting voted in . that would be possible considering density of population in Asia

chains5000
01-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Oh yeh and "Vote me" and "no not that guy" has become part of my regular vocabulary :oldlol:
:bowdown:

Rekindled
01-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Joe Alexander lost because while many here view him as being Chinese raised most Chinese basketball fans just view him as a white guy. So no "Chinese vote advantage" for Alexander.

Rudy Fernandez on the other hand has an immense following in Spain. Fernandez was popular enough in Spain that he was able to go with just his first name on the back of his jersey. DKV Joventut does that only for extremely popular players.
lol

AznTacoLover
01-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Well I'm glad Rudy is in the dunk contest.It has been awhile since a blazer has been in it.But I wish all three would be in it! That would be sick.let's hope rudy has some good dunks though.. :cheers:

Myth
01-19-2009, 01:30 PM
I have an idea for a Rudy dunk.

Have Rudy pull out his Spanish national jersey and put it on. Then pull out a Team USA jersey and hand it to Dwight. Tell Dwight to go stand under the basket in the half circle and try to block his dunk. If Dwight blocks it, oh well, Rudy loses and Dwight gets the first defensive play in a dunk contest. However, if Rudy posterizes Dwight, it would be completely bad ass.

LJJ
01-19-2009, 01:30 PM

Have Rudy pull out his Spanish national jersey and put it on. Then pull out a Team USA jersey and hand it to Dwight. Tell Dwight to go stand under the basket in the half circle and try to block his dunk. If Dwight blocks it, oh well, Rudy loses and Dwight gets the first defensive play in a dunk contest. However, if Rudy posterizes Dwight, it would be completely bad ass.

Myth
01-19-2009, 01:37 PM
I actually wished there was a way to pass that idea on to Rudy. I went to his blog, but everything is in Spanish, so I gave up on trying to make an account so that I could send him the idea.

Valliant13
01-19-2009, 01:39 PM

It might also be the first death in a dunk contest. It's much harder to dunk on premier shotblocker when he has two weeks notice it's coming, and there are fouls enforced.

lilmarcgasol
01-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Russell Westbrook would have been the best he got explosiveness like D Wade but alot smaller, I wonder if anyone could do like a front flip dunk or if it's even possible, I never seen that before.

Also Rudy probably won not just from the European vote but also America's huge mexican population and his commercial he said stuff in Spanish, I bet so many guys don't even know he's spanish they just saw fernandez and voted

Myth
01-19-2009, 01:42 PM
It might also be the first death in dunk contest. It's much harder to dunk on premeir shotblocker when he has two weeks notice it's coming.

Everybody is counting out Rudy anyway, might as well go for something that will get him a lot of support from voters. I'm sure Dwight would likely just go for the block and not try to foul Rudy in the process (if he would agree to it in the first place).

Myth
01-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Also Rudy probably won not just from the European vote but also America's huge mexican population and his commercial he said stuff in Spanish, I bet so many guys don't even know he's spanish they just saw fernandez and voted

I bet that he also get a ton of English speaking Americans as well. Of the 3 guys Rudy is probably the most famous to the casual fan. The Blazers get more publicity than the Bucks and Thunder and Rudy as an individual probably appeared on more ESPN stories. Sergio's alley-oops to Rudy have been in a few ESPN Top 10 plays, which is sure to grab the attention of casual fans.

By the way, it sounds like Sergio won't go there to throw Rudy alley-oops, which I was surely hoping he would because they have great timing together. Sergio claimed he would decline the invite for the sake of vacationing. Roy is expected to throw to Rudy instead since Roy is expected to be going for the all-star game anyway.

DuMa
01-19-2009, 01:53 PM
one day i want to see someone try a 720 dunk in an NBA dunk contest

LJJ
01-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Fernandez could take the safe route and dunk hard on a cardboard cut-out of Howard.

At least it would be original.

lilmarcgasol
01-19-2009, 02:00 PM
one day i want to see someone try a 720 dunk in an NBA dunk contest
I don't know in who in the NBA can do that, I'm not even sure James White could, maybe like Joe Alexander probably could hit a 720.

I'd rather see a 720 in game.

Has anyone ever 360 dunked over a guy ready to block it with their feet set and everything in game?

Rudy had that monster jam on Dwight, O man that would be the best dunk ever, he tells Dwight to try his hardest to block it and then tries to dunk right in Dwights face, I wonder if Dwight would agree to that.

I only fear what else can Rudy do besides huge 2 handed dunks, he needs to add some Latin flair to the contest, maybe dunk in a mariachi outfit and then eat a taco afterwords or something

jamal99
01-19-2009, 02:58 PM
why not have all three in the dunk contest ?
^^that

DieHardBullsFan
01-19-2009, 03:54 PM

They all say that....

and besides what dunks do he have :confusedshrug:

he cant even get off the bench and get playing time.

Sneak
01-19-2009, 04:00 PM
he cant even get off the bench and get playing time.
And this is relevant how?

Alonzo Magic
01-19-2009, 04:05 PM
You gotta admit though, those "Vote me" and "No! Not that guy" lines were brilliant. :oldlol:

Meticode
01-19-2009, 04:08 PM
The All-star game and now the dunk contest where majority of the votes that count come from fans is nothing more than a popularity contest now. Out of the people to vote for in the dunk contest Joe Alexander was by far the most talented dunker from the choices.

Hell, Yi might have a chance to beat out Kevin Garnett for the All-star spot because of the over 1 billion people in China.

I still watch the all-star game and the dunk contest. They're still semi-entertaining. But some of the players you see there nowadays you just shake your head at.

Rename it the All-Popular Game.

berraco
01-19-2009, 05:53 PM
I also agree Rudy was not the best of the three in the contest, but I can't believe that Rudy Fernandez is winning a popularity contest in the NBA, something strange is happening. Looks like a commercial strategy by the NBA front office.

Myth
01-19-2009, 05:57 PM
I also agree Rudy was not the best of the three in the contest, but I can't believe that Rudy Fernandez is winning a popularity contest in the NBA, something strange is happening. Looks like a commercial strategy by the NBA front office.

Why not? He plays for the better team of the 3, thus gets more recognition on Sportscenter. Most casual fans know more about him than the other 2 guys.

chains5000
01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Why not? He plays for the better team of the 3, thus gets more recognition on Sportscenter. Most casual fans know more about him than the other 2 guys.
Also, the dunk on Howard on the Olympic Finals helps too. Every basketball fan was watching.

Showtime
01-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Which is exactly the problem, because popularity doesn't make a good dunker. Ironically, the fans want the most entertaining dunk contest, yet they didn't choose the people who would make that, because they voted on popularity.

Myth
01-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Also, the dunk on Howard on the Olympic Finals helps too. Every basketball fan was watching.

Yep.

Also, the numbers were released, and by the looks of them, other countries had no idea there was a vote going on.

Rudy 251,868
Westbrook 147,279
Alexander 114,963

Not quite the turnout as the all-star ballot.

SuperLopez
01-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Off course people in Spain support Rudy but not many people have voted for him, we know he doesn't deserve it and that it might even get ridiculous, nobody wants to see a player from his country in that situation.

He wans't good even in the spanish dunk contest, so i don't know why he accepted to go, maybe hadn't the choice.

lilmarcgasol
01-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Also Rudy a white guy, Joe a white guy, Westbrook a blackguy. The best most explosive dunker Westbrook was voted third.

LA_Showtime
01-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Rudy won me over in that commercial when he was playing a guitar and said, "vote me!"

Godfather
01-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Also Rudy a white guy, Joe a white guy, Westbrook a blackguy. The best most explosive dunker Westbrook was voted third.

Joe is a more explosive dunker than Westbrook you racist bitch.

lilmarcgasol
01-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Joe is a more explosive dunker than Westbrook you racist bitch.
No he's not he more like James White, long monster freakish hops but not explosive if Joe was as explosive as Russel Westbrook he wouldn't be riding the bench on the bucks a guy his size with the quickness and explosive ability of Westbrook would be a threat no matter how bad his jumper or handle is.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6FP0ua5xFw4

Lol yeh Joe Alexander is that explosive:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Godfather
01-19-2009, 06:45 PM
No he's not he more like James White, long monster freakish hops but not explosive if Joe was as explosive as Russel Westbrook he wouldn't be riding the bench on the bucks a guy his size with the quickness and explosive ability of Westbrook would be a threat no matter how bad his jumper or handle is.

Lol yeh Joe Alexander is that explosive:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

I am not going to pull up highlights because I already made a thread about that a while back.

Joe does not get minutes because there are 2 players before him in the Bucks depth chart (Westbrook plays for the thunder :oldlol: ).

And second how explosive a player is doesn't solely decide how many minutes he gets. Just because Joe is explosive doesn't mean he is good enough in other areas to get significant minutes.

Also I am done replying to you because I made a new years resolution not to reply to trolls (keep posing like liloj).

DieHardBullsFan
01-19-2009, 06:47 PM
And this is relevant how?

umm it is relevant.....:hammerhead:

you have to be known as a dunker to get into the contest....if this wasnt relevant...than anybody could enter....:confusedshrug:

lilmarcgasol
01-19-2009, 06:50 PM
I am not going to pull up highlights because I already made a thread about that a while back.

Joe does not get minutes because there are 2 players before him in the Bucks depth chart (Westbrook plays for the thunder :oldlol: ).

And second how explosive a player is doesn't solely decide how many minutes he gets. Just because Joe is explosive doesn't mean he is good enough in other areas to get significant minutes.

Also I am done replying to you because I made a new years resolution not to reply to trolls (keep posing like liloj).
you're not replying because Joe Alexander got nowhere near that dunking ability and the only good dunks comparable to that Joe has are not in game, Joe is no where near as quick no where near explosive just like I said he like James White not Dwayne Wade, Joe got long freakish hops and vertical yeh but it damn sure ain't explosive that westbrook dunk I posted trumps anything Joe can do theres a reason you are making that weak excuse not to reply to me "cuz im a troll" (hint hint dingus if i was a troll id get banned)

The reason is you can't post any Joe Alexander dunks that are comparable to that one.

Is this the best ingame dunk Joe has?
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DotSO6957qU&feature=related
:sleeping :sleeping :sleeping

and hey sonny

http://www.williamhung.net/WilliamPic_C.jpg

You agreed to keep this avatar for 2 years if the Lakers won you couldn't even last a month? Can't even keep your word on the internet? :confusedshrug:

Showtime
01-19-2009, 06:50 PM
umm it is relevant.....:hammerhead:

you have to be known as a dunker to get into the contest....if this wasnt relevant...than anybody could enter....:confusedshrug:
Being known as a dunker doesn't mean you get playing time. A guy can be bad enough to stay out of the rotation and still be a great dunker. Plus, he's a rookie, so it's not like he's going to play 35+ minutes a game.

blazerftc
01-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Off course people in Spain support Rudy but not many people have voted for him, we know he doesn't deserve it and that it might even get ridiculous, nobody wants to see a player from his country in that situation.

He wans't good even in the spanish dunk contest, so i don't know why he accepted to go, maybe hadn't the choice.

Official results...

Rudy 250k
Westbrook 147k
Alexander 114k

DieHardBullsFan
01-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Being known as a dunker doesn't mean you get playing time. A guy can be bad enough to stay out of the rotation and still be a great dunker. Plus, he's a rookie, so it's not like he's going to play 35+ minutes a game.

I did not compare it to playing time....you are missing the point.

The point I was making is that....we all havent seen him play much to really know if he belongs in the dunk contest.....unlike Rudy and Westbrook....we all know what they can do.....

Showtime
01-19-2009, 07:01 PM
I did not compare it to playing time....you are missing the point.

The point I was making is that....we all havent seen him play much to really know if he belongs in the dunk contest.....unlike Rudy and Westbrook....we all know what they can do.....
He has participated in previous contests. He made a video showing his leaping ability. That should be enough. Also, Rudy hasn't shown anything during his games that would show me he has the potential to win this dunk contest. He seems like an average dunker.

adamcz
01-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Official results...

Rudy 250k
Westbrook 147k
Alexander 114k
Ok, so the voters got it exactly backwards. Maybe next year we can open up the vote for all NBA players, and enjoy the dunking artistry of Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Eddy Curry, Steve Nash, and Big Baby Davis.

daydreamin
01-19-2009, 07:24 PM
I was hoping for Fernandez or Westbrook. Doesn't matter though because Nate Robinson will ruin it anyways..

Myth
01-19-2009, 07:27 PM
I was hoping for Fernandez or Westbrook. Doesn't matter though because Nate Robinson will ruin it anyways..

Probably. Nate will piss me off and I will be indifferent to Rudy Gay as I was last year. Howard wins. Thats my prediction.

blazerftc
01-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Ok, so the voters got it exactly backwards...

I refer you to my earlier post.

The entirety of All-star weekend is to give the fans what they want. That's it. Obviously ISH does not make up even a sizable minority of NBA fans. Let it go. It's just a meaningless contest that has no weight or bearing on anything except what the fans want to see.

Ian
01-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Did anyone actually vote for Fernandez....?

Honestly?

lilmarcgasol
01-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Fernandez needs to bring latin flair, dunk in a mariachi outfit and then eat a taco, or maybe like jump over a giant inflatable pool full of salsa and then dunk, or dunk with a burrito in his mouth

blazerftc
01-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Did anyone actually vote for Fernandez....?

Honestly?

Dude, page 11

Official results...

Rudy 250k
Westbrook 147k
Alexander 114k

blazerftc
01-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Fernandez needs to bring latin flair, dunk in a mariachi outfit and then eat a taco, or maybe like jump over a giant inflatable pool full of salsa and then dunk, or dunk with a burrito in his mouth

You're thinking Mexican.

Try Tapas, and wine. Or, A huge pan of Paella

YAWN
01-19-2009, 07:40 PM

The entirety of All-star weekend is to give the fans what they want. That's it. Obviously ISH does not make up even a sizable minority of NBA fans. Let it go. It's just a meaningless contest that has no weight or bearing on anything except what the fans want to see.

obviously the fans dont know **** about joe alexander, he never ****ing plays and when he does no one outside of wisconsin watches that ****ty team.

however for the purposes of this i wish the nba would of had them all do at least one dunk to try and impress the voters.

but then again joe hitting his head on the rim alone is more impressive than anything i have ever seen rudy do as far as dunking goes. so maybe people are just that ****ing dumb.

J000
01-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Pathetic, Joe Alexanders time to shine and be recognized . He was really the favourite to win it all when voted in.

kumquat
01-19-2009, 07:43 PM

Eduardo Najera ain't in the dunk contest

lilmarcgasol
01-19-2009, 07:48 PM
The frontflip dunk, who will be the first to do that.

The lamest dunk last year was Jemario Moon making the tape line and then jumping off like 2 feet PAST the line wtf was that Jemario

kumquat
01-19-2009, 07:51 PM

Westbrooks got his reputation as a dunker for posterizing. 1 handed jams over people. There's nothing i've seen from him that would make him a contest dunker. He's also not as explosive as Joe.

lilmarcgasol
01-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Westbrooks got his reputation as a dunker for posterizing. 1 handed jams over people. There's nothing i've seen from him that would make him a contest dunker. He's also not as explosive as Joe.
more explosive than Joe

adamcz
01-19-2009, 08:30 PM

Nothing that happens in basketball ever has any special weight or bearing. I'm a fan of dunks and the dunk contest, and it's something I look forward to every year. Just like the NBA Finals, it has no meaning of life type significance, but I enjoy the competition and creativity just the same. I want to see the best guys competing, so that I can see awesome new dunks.

We could also open up fan voting to see which two teams get to compete in the NBA Finals, right?

Myth
01-19-2009, 09:01 PM
The frontflip dunk, who will be the first to do that.

The lamest dunk last year was Jemario Moon making the tape line and then jumping off like 2 feet PAST the line wtf was that Jemario

Actually I liked that dunk. He was barely inside the free throw line and dunked an alley oop. It was the first time that had been done in the NBA dunk contest. The problem was he WAS going to jump from that line (about 1 foot behind the line), but he wasn't informed that it had to be a dunk off a pass until after he put the tape down and had to change what he was doing.

Lebron23
01-19-2009, 10:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP4ixPKClrc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWjikdvk9jU&feature=related

If he can pull this Dunk in the Slamdunk Competition. I think Nate will beat Howard in the Finals.

Myth
01-20-2009, 12:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP4ixPKClrc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWjikdvk9jU&feature=related

If he can pull this Dunk in the Slamdunk Competition. I think Nate will beat Howard in the Finals.

I'm not impressed with those. Nate's past dunks have been as good and better than those. I'm bored of simple between the leg dunks. I don't care if he is 5'9", we've already seen it 100 times.

nba_55
02-14-2009, 11:56 AM
I dont think that he will do anything good in the dunk competition. This guy cant jump hight. They showed him practicing dunking and he couldnt put down easy dunk. Westbrook or Anderson or Moon should have been in his place.

BTW: SOrry for the title, I tried to change it, but hit Enter by mistake.

Godfather
02-14-2009, 11:57 AM
I dont think that he will do anything good in the dunk competition. This guy cant jump hight. They showed him practicing dunking and he couldnt put down easy dunk. Westbrook or Anderson or Moon should have been in his place.

Westbrook had more dunks in the Rookie Soph game than Rudy has attempted in his entire career.

1~Gibson~1
02-14-2009, 12:07 PM

BTW: SOrry for the title, I tried to change it, but hit Enter by mistake.yeah i was thinking the same thing when the selected him. I think the only reason he can dunk is because of hiz long arms, on the other hand Westbrook and (that guy from the bucks) can jump really, really, really, high

nba_55
02-14-2009, 12:23 PM
yeah i was thinking the same thing when the selected him. I think the only reason he can dunk is because of hiz long arms, on the other hand Westbrook and (that guy from the bucks) can jump really, really, really, high
Lets hope that he does something good, even thought I dont think that he will.

NY Comeback
02-14-2009, 12:27 PM
I really wanted to see Joe Alexander in this. But playing in a market like Milwaukee doesn't help his exposure too much; same for Westbrook.

AznTacoLover
02-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Yeah.. He doesn't seem like one of those altheic dunkers.
but lets see what he can do :P

quasimoto
02-14-2009, 12:36 PM
He's got to have a something up his sleeve. He knows he can't beat the other guys on athleticism.

kentatm
02-14-2009, 12:38 PM
free Gerald Green

mswank
02-14-2009, 01:04 PM
he's gonna rainbow it over his head like soccer catch it out of the air and dunk it in. seriously. that's one of the dunks for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zI9dAG7MCk

blazerjimmy
02-14-2009, 01:08 PM
I really wanted to see Joe Alexander in this. But playing in a market like Milwaukee doesn't help his exposure too much; same for Westbrook.

Although I irritated / frustrated a lot of my fellow Blazer fans, I was hoping for Joe Alexander ahead of Rudy as well!!! Just hope Rudy shows something!!!

nba_55
02-14-2009, 02:04 PM
he's gonna rainbow it over his head like soccer catch it out of the air and dunk it in. seriously. that's one of the dunks for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zI9dAG7MCk
how do you know?

KeylessEntry
02-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Did you guys not see westbrook missing dunks and layups like he is ricky davis in the rookie sophmore game? He missed 3 WIDE open point blank looks at the basket in the first half. he could have dunked it but instead he went up with these weak ass layups.

Jinxed
02-14-2009, 03:44 PM
I ran into a guy at the gym who was cut by the Trailblazers just before the season started (hint: he played at Gtown) and he was SURE that Rudy would win the slam dunk contest...not only that he said that Rudy was one of the most talented players in the NBA and just needs more minutes

emsteez forreal
02-14-2009, 03:47 PM

BTW: SOrry for the title, I tried to change it, but hit Enter by mistake.

are you european or a caveman?

Aldridge Fan
02-14-2009, 04:13 PM
I am a true Blazer fan, but I haven't seen anything over the top in terms of creative dunking from him either. But maybe he doesn't do it in games. Just the two-handed dunk to make sure it goes in for safety.

The best dunk I've seen from him is against Dwight Howard in the Olympics though. That was a great play. Dwight's probably up for revenge on that one.

Good luck Rudy. I'm rooting for you.

Lakas Fan Yo
02-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Let's see.......

draft test results........

D. Wade

height in shoes: 6'4

Rekindled
02-14-2009, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=Lakas Fan Yo]Let's see.......

D. Wade

Lakas Fan Yo
02-14-2009, 04:59 PM
he sure can throw down dunks ( like the one he had on dwight). But others guys in the contest have more athleticism.

Well he has a better officially tested vertical than Wade and the same exact top jump at 17 inches above the rim, which would be about 5 inches above the top of the square on the back board and I am sure Wade could do fine in a dunk contest. I don't think Rudy will win or anything, but it just seems a little odd some people think he couldn't compete in it. I mean, would people think Wade couldn't compete in a dunk contest?

If Rudy can get 17 inches above the rim, I am sure he can come up with something decent for the dunk contest.

DreamShake24
02-14-2009, 05:02 PM
He could be a huge sleeper since everyone thinks he sucks. But from what I saw he's a pretty good dunker. It's clear currently he was the best player out of the 3. Joe Alexander and Russell Westbrook.

Westbrook probably should have made it, but since Rudy's team is on National T.V more, you can't blame him.

I am just not sure about his creativity, because that's what the dunk contest is all about.

Myth
02-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Rudy is a pretty good dunker, but not what I would consider "Dunk Competition" good. He has great body control and creativity on the court, which could translate to something neat, but he doesn't have the hops or the power to anything jaw dropping. I think his hands are small too or something, which explains why 90% of his dunks are 2 handed. I really can't see him doing a windmill unless the momentum itself keeps the ball in his hand.

mswank
02-14-2009, 06:19 PM
how do you know?

cause there was a youtube of him doing it but it got taken down, they were talking about it on soccer blogs. i GAW-RAWN-TEE it

Myth
02-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Although I irritated / frustrated a lot of my fellow Blazer fans, I was hoping for Joe Alexander ahead of Rudy as well!!! Just hope Rudy shows something!!!

Only about half of the Blazer fans I saw online wanted Rudy voted in. I actually preferred Alexander and Westbrook over Rudy. Though I am excited about the idea that a Blazer is in the competition for the first time in 15 years (James Robinson was the last one in 1994).

I wish they'd bring back 6 to 8 dunkers :cry:

DreamShake24
02-14-2009, 06:32 PM
I preferred Westbrook, only reason why Joe doesn't really deserve it is because he doesn't even play every game. He plays garbage time, Not sure if that's acceptable especially when he plays for the Bucks.

mswank
02-14-2009, 06:39 PM
found what hes gonna do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iU1GGYC5oM&eurl=http://www.theoffside.com/world-football/rudy-fernandez-to-unleash-the-djalminha-at-2009-nba-slam-dunk-contest.html&feature=player_embedded

TMAC-RAPTORS
02-14-2009, 06:47 PM
found what hes gonna do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iU1GGYC5oM&eurl=http://www.theoffside.com/world-football/rudy-fernandez-to-unleash-the-djalminha-at-2009-nba-slam-dunk-contest.html&feature=player_embedded

Creative, but not that nice. Im pretty sure JR Smith, Dwight Howard, and Nate Robinson can put up something better than that :oldlol:

Kobe4life
02-14-2009, 07:45 PM
out of all the players why is he in

Biddy77
02-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Rudy shouldn't be in the dunk contest. Joe Alexander should have gotten that spot.

on behalf of everyone in Portland who isn't an idiot homer, we apologize for this travesty. also... ehhh... i speak a little spanish, so i'm going to apologize for all of the spanish speaking voters who realize Rudy doesn't belong in the Dunk Contest, as well.

02-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Rudy shouldn't be in the dunk contest. Joe Alexander should have gotten that spot.

on behalf of everyone in Portland who isn't an idiot homer, we apologize for this travesty. also... ehhh... i speak a little spanish, so i'm going to apologize for all of the spanish speaking voters who realize Rudy doesn't belong in the Dunk Contest, as well.

Go Rudy. He will win with ease

Biddy77
02-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Go Rudy. He will win with ease

i think 3rd is his best possible finish, and that's allowing for JR Smith to snarf a few very high degree of difficulty dunks and finishing below where he should.

WhySoInsecure?
02-14-2009, 08:10 PM
he should pull out a cardboard cut out of dwight and dunk over it.

Kblaze8855
02-14-2009, 11:45 PM
This contest should be Dwight vs Joe in the finals right now. Its exactly why you dont let in Rudy. Hes a standard above average athlete. Hes not the type to blow anyone away. Joe has the combo of disgusting athletic ability and being white that makes him stand out. Plus I bet he knows how to sell himself.

Diesel J
02-15-2009, 02:16 AM
[QUOTE=Lakas Fan Yo]Let's see.......

D. Wade

Diesel J
02-15-2009, 02:50 AM
I haven't seen Rudy get up this high..

Dwyane Wade Soars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-9pIE4gY28&feature=related

Lakas Fan Yo
02-15-2009, 02:25 PM
I haven't seen Rudy get up this high..

Dwyane Wade Soars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-9pIE4gY28&feature=related

Of course officially tested results mean nothing compared to your own personal opinion. Anyway, I thought Rudy was better than Nate Robinson easily in the dunk contest. That whole thing is rigged. No way in hell Nate should have won it over Dwight.

Myth
02-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Of course officially tested results mean nothing compared to your own personal opinion. Anyway, I thought Rudy was better than Nate Robinson easily in the dunk contest. That whole thing is rigged. No way in hell Nate should have won it over Dwight.

Agreed. The biggest problem wasn't the fan voting that made the final decision, it was the judges scoring that put him in the Finals. Nate's 2nd dunk was the worst I've ever seen (I could do it) and it got him in the Finals.

NuggetsFan
02-15-2009, 04:07 PM

Rudy was alot better than I thought he'd be and he had some nice dunks...but it took him 10 tries to complete his dunk. Who wants to sit there during the finals and watch a guy take a bunch of tries to do a dunk?.

I don't know why people take the dunk contest so seriously...I think it's just fun to watch and who cares who wins as long as you see some nice dunks.

I did notice by Dwight letting Nate jump over him he kinda showed that he didn't really care if he won tho.