PDA

View Full Version : Best Starting Five in NBA history.

1987_Lakers
01-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Greatest starting five ever assembled by an NBA team. I personally think the 1986 Celtics had the best starting 5 ever. Defense, offense, inside scoring, outside scoring, rebounding & terrific passing...that starting five had it all.

'86 Celtics
C - Robert Parish ( 9 time All-Star, Hall of Fame)
PF - Kevin McHale (7 time All-Star, Hall of Fame)
SF - Larry Bird (10 time All-Star, 3 time NBA MVP, 2 time NBA Finals MVP, Hall of Fame)
SG - Danny Ainge (1 time All-Star)
PG - Dennis Johnson (5 time All-Star, 1 time NBA Finals MVP)

Honorable mentions: '60 Celtics, '73 Knicks, & '87 Lakers

bdreason
01-24-2009, 06:32 PM
'87 Lakers

Magic
Scott
Green
Worthy
Kareem

bleedinpurpleTwo
01-24-2009, 06:34 PM
how can the Lakers be runner-up to Boston when they won 3 championships (those Celts won only 2)...and 2 of those 3 Laker championships were against those Celtics????

1987_Lakers
01-24-2009, 06:36 PM
how can the Lakers be runner-up to Boston when they won 3 championships (those Celts won only 2)...and 2 of those 3 Laker championships were against those Celtics????

Lakers had a much deeper bench when they beat the Celtics in '85 and in '87. (especially '87)

KB42PAH
01-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Greatest starting five ever assembled by an NBA team. I personally think the 1986 Celtics had the best starting 5 ever. Defense, offense, inside scoring, outside scoring, rebounding & terrific passing...that starting five had it all.

'86 Celtics
C - Robert Parish ( 9 time All-Star, Hall of Fame)
PF - Kevin McHale (7 time All-Star, Hall of Fame)
SF - Larry Bird (10 time All-Star, 3 time NBA MVP, 2 time NBA Finals MVP, Hall of Fame)
SG - Danny Ainge (1 time All-Star)
PG - Dennis Johnson (5 time All-Star, 1 time NBA Finals MVP)

Mchale, Bird and Ainge?

3 Unathletic weak, overrated players who would get killed today.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAFQ017~Danny-Ainge-Photofile-Posters.jpg
http://wayneandwax.com/wp/images/McHale.jpg
http://www.myclassiclyrics.com/artist_biographies/Larry_Bird_Biography.jpg

its almost laughable.

2008 Celtics would sweep them.

97 bulls
01-24-2009, 06:41 PM
let me ask a question. if parrish and mchale played in the 90s with the amazingly great centers and pfs that were there, are they hof material? and im not talking about a 22 year old versin of all these players. cuz youve stated that since they STARTED their careers in the 80s the 80s are better.

DuMa
01-24-2009, 06:44 PM
86 celtics and 87 lakers are right up there.

but my personal pick = 96 bulls:

longely
rodman
pippen
jordan
harper

and my pick for most talented but didnt do jack squat: 04 lakers

shaq
malone
whats his face
kobe
payton

1987_Lakers
01-24-2009, 06:45 PM
let me ask a question. if parrish and mchale played in the 90s with the amazingly great centers and pfs that were there, are they hof material? and im not talking about a 22 year old versin of all these players. cuz youve stated that since they STARTED their careers in the 80s the 80s are better.

You act like Parish and McHale played against scrub Big Men during the 80's. Parish went up against M. Malone, Kareem, & young Hakeem during the 80's and McHale went up against a young Barkley and a young K. Malone. I believe it was Charles Barkley who said McHale was the most difficult player he ever had to defend.

1987_Lakers
01-24-2009, 06:52 PM

longely
rodman
pippen
jordan
harper

That's a solid starting five, but any starting five that features Luc Longley should never be considered the best ever.

KB42PAH
01-24-2009, 06:54 PM
2008 Celtics>>>80s celtics.

KB42PAH

60s celtics? LMAO
73 Knicks? WTF

omg talk about comicial relief

1987_Lakers

LMAO, you obviously want attention.

KB42PAH
01-24-2009, 06:57 PM
LMAO, you obviously want attention.

Are you unedcuated?

KG>>anyone from 80's celtics.
KG = 6''11 SF, most versatile player in NBA history, top 5 midrange shooter in NBA history, can play every position.
KG easily>Bird
KG>>>>Mchale

Pierce>Ainge
Allen>Ainge

Posey, Brown , House, Cassell

This thread is just stupid.

2008 Celtics have legit basketball palyers

Mchale = David lee/Madsen
Bird = Kieth van horn +passing+rebounding

3 white starters? Is this some kind of joke? Why do you think there are no successful american white players in the NBA (non-euros)? Mike Miller is the best white player in the NBA right now, and maybe David lee.

Psileas
01-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by 97 bulls

They did play during the 90's. Parish was a consistent double-double producer in '93, close to the age of 40. McHale didn't remain nearly as healthy, but as long as he was (early 90's), he was still playing at an All-Star level.

1987_Lakers
01-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Are you unedcuated?

KG easily>Bird
KG>>>>Mchale

Pierce>Ainge
Allen>Ainge

3 white starters? Is this some kind of joke? Why do you think there are no successful american white players in the NBA (non-euros)? Mike Miller is the best white player in the NBA right now, and maybe David lee.

What is your obsession with white NBA players? BTW doesn't euro players = white? The '08 Celtics only have advantages on the SG spot and arguably the PF spot.

C - Parish > Perkins
PF - McHale < Garnett (by a hair)
SF - Bird > Pierce
SG - Ainge < Allen
PG - DJ > Rondo

KB42PAH
01-24-2009, 07:10 PM
What is your obsession with white NBA players? BTW doesn't euro players = white? The '08 Celtics only have advantages on the SG spot and arguably the PF spot.

C - Parish > Perkins
SF - Bird > Pierce
SG - Ainge < Allen
PG - DJ > Rondo

PG: DJ>Rondo
SG: Allen>Ainge
SF: Pierce>Bird
PF: KG>Mchale
C: Parish>Perkins

Even if you think Bird>Pierce, collectively KG+Pierce+Allen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mchale+bird+ainge. And it's not even close - im being dead serious.

KG's impact is huge in a game, he commands a double team and is simply unstoppable 1 on 1. Mchale is laughable compared to KG, I cannot belive anyone would think they are a hair of difference, that is just pathetic.

Of course european players are white, but I am saying why don't you ask yourself why there arent' that many succesfful american collegiate players in the NBA or american white playersin general? the level of athelticism is just too high that is why.

2008 Celtics would sweep 80's Celtics no contest. I am being dead serious. At worse it would be 4-1.

1987_Lakers
01-24-2009, 07:12 PM
LMAO if you think Pierce is better than Bird.:roll:

I'm not even going to bother arguing with you. You have no idea what you're talking about.

97 bulls
01-24-2009, 07:12 PM
You act like Parish and McHale played against scrub Big Men during the 80's. Parish went up against M. Malone, Kareem, & young Hakeem during the 80's and McHale went up against a young Barkley and a young K. Malone. I believe it was Charles Barkley who said McHale was the most difficult player he ever had to defend.
be honest 87. parrish played against very green olajuwan and ewing and late 30s and early 40s kareem. and about 4 years with a prime malone. same with mchale against barkley and malone. but tell me. if they were to play in the 90s where does parrish and mchale rank with the glutony of great centers and pfs in the 90s?

Lebron23
01-24-2009, 07:16 PM
PG: DJ>Rondo
SG: Allen>Ainge
SF: Pierce>Bird
PF: KG>Mchale
C: Parish>Perkins

Even if you think Bird>Pierce, collectively KG+Pierce+Allen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mchale+bird+ainge. And it's not even close - im being dead serious.

KG's impact is huge in a game, he commands a double team and is simply unstoppable 1 on 1. Mchale is laughable compared to KG, I cannot belive anyone would think they are a hair of difference, that is just pathetic.

Of course european players are white, but I am saying why don't you ask yourself why there arent' that many succesfful american collegiate players in the NBA or american white playersin general? the level of athelticism is just too high that is why.

2008 Celtics would sweep 80's Celtics no contest. I am being dead serious. At worse it would be 4-1.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

KB42PAH
01-24-2009, 07:17 PM

I don't know what your complaining about..

Lebron>Bird too.

1987_Lakers
01-24-2009, 07:20 PM
be honest 87. parrish played against very green olajuwan and ewing and late 30s and early 40s kareem. and about 4 years with a prime malone. same with mchale against barkley and malone. but tell me. if they were to play in the 90s where does parrish and mchale rank with the glutony of great centers and pfs in the 90s?

McHale would have been an elite PF right along with Barkley and Malone. And I am very certain Parish would have been just fine. Parish is a guy who averaged 15 PPG and 10.5 RPG during the '91 season when he was 37 years old and he nearly averaged a double-double two years later in '93 when he was 39 years old.

Don't forget Parish was the guy who completely out played Moses Malone during the '85 playoffs when Moses was still elite. Parish could play with the best of them.

smalls123
01-24-2009, 07:22 PM

It's OK. He doesn't know any better.

Lebron23
01-24-2009, 07:26 PM
I don't know what your complaining about..

Lebron>Bird too.

Bird is still better than LeBron. After LeBron win his first NBA Championship, that's the only time we can compare him to the GOAT SF.

Bird > LeBron and Kobe.

juju151111
01-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Are you unedcuated?

KG = 6''11 SF, most versatile player in NBA history, top 5 midrange shooter in NBA history, can play every position.
KG easily>Bird
KG>>>>Mchale

Pierce>Ainge
Allen>Ainge

You do relize that KG move set is basically Mchale move set right?Yea mchale would be david lee if Lee had Post moves.

KB42PAH
01-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Bird is still better than LeBron. After LeBron win his first NBA Championship, that's the only time we can compare him to the GOAT SF.

Bird > LeBron and Kobe.

Bird could have 8 rings, Lebron 0.

Lebron is still better than Bird.

Being better has nothing to do with rings. Nothing.

Is horry>Jordan, is russell>Shaq? This is just foolishness.

Lebron = GOAT SF (coming from someone that hates lebron). So preach it

KB42PAH
01-24-2009, 07:29 PM

Bird > LeBron and Kobe.

Kobe would chew bird up and spit him out like he was a high school player.

AllenIverson3
01-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Kobe would chew bird up and spit him out like he was a high school player.

If I ever saw you, I'd knock the **** outta ur dumbass...

1987_Lakers
01-24-2009, 07:33 PM
It should when it has Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman to compensate for Luc Longley being there.. MVP, DPOY (well, not technically since he was robbed), league leader in ppg, league leader in rpg, 2 all-NBA 1st teamers and 3 all-defense 1st teamers in the same starting lineup is phenomenal.

Parish > Longley
McHale > Rodman
Bird > Pippen
Ainge < MJ
DJ > Harper

the C's have the advantage in 4 of the 5 positions. And I think some of you are really doubting the great chemistry between the Celtics starters. The Chemistry was amazing, every player knew each other extremely well, great inside scoring, outside scoring, defense, rebounding, & the thing that amazed me the most was their passing.

KB42PAH
01-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Parish > Longley
McHale > Rodman
Bird > Pippen
Ainge < MJ
DJ > Harper

the C's have the advantage in 4 of the 5 positions. And I think some of you are really doubting the great chemistry between the Celtics starters. The Chemistry was amazing, every player knew each other extremely well, great inside scoring, outside scoring, defense, rebounding, & the thing that amazed me the most was their passing.

Again showing your stupidity.

Harper= DJ
Jordan>Ainge
Pippen>Bird
Rodman>Mchale
Parish>longely

Bulls have advantage in 4 out of 5 positions

Bird = Defensive liablity, pippen = best deefender in NBA at the time
Rodman = 19 rpg in modern era woudl tear mchale apart.
Jordan = nothing needs to be said.

HoodRat
01-24-2009, 07:37 PM
:roll: at ignorance.

But to the point of the thread, I think '87 Lakers had the best starting five.

Mikaiel
01-24-2009, 07:38 PM
You're so wrong on McHale KB42PAH. Even with the team he had around him, he still commanded double teams. I think that tells a lot about what kind of player he was.

smalls123
01-24-2009, 07:42 PM

Harper= DJ
Jordan>Ainge
Pippen>Bird
Rodman>Mchale
Parish>longely

DJ>Harper
Ainge<Jordan
Bird>Pippen (Its is quite obvious you haven't watched much Bird...lmao)
Mchale>Rodman (Mchale could score on Rodman)
Parish>Longely

It would be a great match-up and I think those Bull teams would beat those Celtics teams.

Gougou
01-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Lol 08 celtics is better :roll:

HWN Tommie Style
01-24-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm not trying to flame bait, or anything like that (disclaimer)

I'm being as serious as I can.................
but KB42PAH, are you 14 years old?

Nemo75432
01-24-2009, 08:41 PM

longely
rodman
pippen
jordan
harper

and my pick for most talented but didnt do jack squat: 04 lakers

shaq
malone
whats his face
kobe
payton

hands down '96 bulls. everyone played their roll to near perfection.

and dont be a retard saying "luc longley, he sucks"

HWN Tommie Style
01-24-2009, 08:47 PM
But Longley DID suck. If he didn't there wouldn't be the '3-headed center'

Kiddlovesnets
01-24-2009, 08:48 PM
C Wilt Chamberlain (2)
PF Kareem Abdur Jabbar (4)
SF Larry Bird (5)
SG Michael Jordan (1)
PG Magic Johnson (3)

That's actually my list of top 5 NBA franchise player(Jabbar at PF might be weird but it makes sense here).

KB42PAH
01-24-2009, 08:49 PM
C Wilt Chamberlain (2)
SF Larry Bird (5)
SG Michael Jordan (1)
PG Magic Johnson (3)

That's actually my list of top 5 NBA franchise player(Jabbar at PF might be weird but it makes sense here).

PG: Kobe
SG: Jordan
SF: Lebron
PF: Garnett
C: Shaq

My team would destory your team.

statman32
01-24-2009, 08:50 PM
C Wilt Chamberlain (2)
SF Larry Bird (5)
SG Michael Jordan (1)
PG Magic Johnson (3)

No it doesnt make sense here moron. This thread is about REAL starting fives in NBA history.

You give me proposal any more thought good lookin? :confusedshrug:

Sonic R
01-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Best starting five:

Derek Harper
Mike Iuzzolino
Doug Smith
Terry Davis
Donald Hodge

:bowdown:

danumber88
01-24-2009, 08:51 PM

longely
rodman
pippen
jordan
harper

I have to admit I remember watching this line up play. It's pretty good. Defensivley, offensively and in terms of chemistry it was a pretty good line up..

Back on topic:

Would the Pistons'

Chauncey Billups
Richard Hamilton
Tayshaun Prince
Rasheed Wallace
Ben Wallace

be considered one of the best starting fives?

HWN Tommie Style
01-24-2009, 08:53 PM
KB, your team is flawed from the beginning, Kobe at PG? seriously? Garnett over Duncan? That might be arguable, but it seems you like more flash then substance, in which whatever teams you name will always be flawed.

Kiddlovesnets
01-24-2009, 08:53 PM
No it doesnt make sense here moron. This thread is about REAL starting fives in NBA history.

You give me proposal any more thought good lookin? :confusedshrug:

Well I didn't look at the first post though. The 86 Celtics, 87 Lakers, 96 Bulls and 04 Lakers are all pretty good. Even the 04 Nets should be considered as a fairly nice team:

C Alonzo Mourning
PF Kenyon Martin
SF Richard Jefferson
SG Kerry Kittles
PG Jason Kidd

Btw, don't call another person Moron when he's apparently way more intelligent than you, the Imbecile.

KB42PAH
01-24-2009, 08:54 PM
I have to admit I remember watching this line up play. It's pretty good. Defensivley, offensively and in terms of chemistry it was a pretty good line up..

Back on topic:

Would the Pistons'

Chauncey Billups
Richard Hamilton
Tayshaun Prince
Rasheed Wallace
Ben Wallace

be considered one of the best starting fives?

Yes. 2004 Pistons and 2008 Celtics = top 5 defensive teams.

2004 pistons = 6 allstars (okur is on there too)

craigthomasb
01-24-2009, 08:55 PM
remeber when the lakers had payton, malone, shaq and kobe all starting for them, sure they were old as **** but that has to be some of the greatest players of all time starting together

Nemo75432
01-24-2009, 08:55 PM
But Longley DID suck. If he didn't there wouldn't be the '3-headed center'

he needed to "suck" in order for mike and pippen to dominate.

Sonic R
01-24-2009, 08:57 PM
2004 Pistons are the LUCKIEST ever!

Bunch of scrub journeymen playing for a vagabond coach getting lucky with no injuries and a lucky as hell trade in mid season. that team only won 54 games for fux sake! 2004 Pistons = 2008 New York Football Giants… LUCK

remeber when the lakers had payton, malone, shaq and kobe all starting for them, sure they were old as **** but that has to be some of the greatest players of all time starting together

You sir are correct!
:applause:

DuMa
01-24-2009, 08:58 PM

it wouldve been great if they didnt *****, moan or had too many egos on the team.

HWN Tommie Style
01-24-2009, 08:59 PM
he needed to "suck" in order for mike and pippen to dominate.

Ummm, that makes no sense at all. Just because you don't score or control the ball doesn't mean you suck. If Longley was good at what he did, he wouldn't have been subbed 5 minutes in the game by Will Perdue every game.

DuMa
01-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Ummm, that makes no scene at all. Just because you don't score or control the ball doesn't mean you suck. If Longley was good at what he did, he wouldn't have been subbed 5 minutes in the game by Will Perdue every game.

that right there tells me you dont know anything about that 96 bulls team outside the stars. Will Perdue and Luc Longely were never on the same team in 1996

Longely was very good. he was their best big man scorer. Toni Kukoc doesnt count, he usually got his points on the perimeter.

HWN Tommie Style
01-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Ohh I'm sorry, Mr. Basketball Know It All, excuse me for making the biggest mistake of my entire life, what ever should I do.

Fact remains, if you think Longley was good, he wasn't.
PS Pippen = overrated also, but thats way personal for me

PSS The best starting lineup these eyes have seen,86-87 Lakers

1987_Lakers
01-24-2009, 10:38 PM
that right there tells me you dont know anything about that 96 bulls team outside the stars. Will Perdue and Luc Longely were never on the same team in 1996

Longely was very good. he was their best big man scorer. Toni Kukoc doesnt count, he usually got his points on the perimeter.

LMAO, lets not get delusional know. Longley was a scrub.

97 bulls
01-24-2009, 11:47 PM
They did play during the 90's. Parish was a consistent double-double producer in '93, close to the age of 40. McHale didn't remain nearly as healthy, but as long as he was (early 90's), he was still playing at an All-Star level.
they both were great but where would they place in the 90s? i believe parrish would be a middle of the pack center and mchale top 5 or 6. but both were in the top 3 in the 80s.

Gougou
01-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Right now I think:

Shaq
KG or Duncan
Kobe bryant
Dwayne Wade
Gilbert Arenas

shaoyut
01-25-2009, 01:37 AM
Right now I think:

Shaq
KG or Duncan
Kobe bryant
Dwayne Wade
Gilbert Arenas
Gilbert Arenas:oldlol:

miles berg
01-25-2009, 01:49 AM
This kid talking about guys like Paul Pierce & Kevin Garnett being better players than Larry Bird is obviously a troll. LeBron James? Sure, there is a better than good chance that he will go down as the greatest SF of all time. But the other two are ridiculous.

Anyways, the best starting 5 in NBA history is DJ | Ainge | Bird | McHale | Parish. I mean, that is just ridiculous. It would be like having this lineup today:

Chauncey Billups
Manu Ginobili
LeBron James
Kevin Garnett
Andrew Bynum

Just a ridiculous lineup.

Biddy77
01-25-2009, 01:53 AM
dylan, dylan, dylan, dylan, dylan

97 bulls
01-25-2009, 01:59 AM
LMAO, lets not get delusional know. Longley was a scrub.
i wouldnt say he was a scrub. his 36 min averages are like 14 and 8 and truthfully that very solid. he averaged like 10 and 6 in limited minutes

miles berg
01-25-2009, 02:00 AM
Luc Longley was far from a scrub.

I hate how this forum terms everyone that isnt a superstar, MAX'd out, perennial All-Star as being a scrub.

Longley had a role and played it extremely well. No one ever accused him of being Jabbar or Shaq, some said he would be another Bill Walton, but that was early in his career.

He was an above average role player which is exactly why he was such an asset to the Bulls.

Biddy77
01-25-2009, 02:03 AM
Luc Longley was far from a scrub.

I hate how this forum terms everyone that isnt a superstar, MAX'd out, perennial All-Star as being a scrub.

Longley had a role and played it extremely well. No one ever accused him of being Jabbar or Shaq, some said he would be another Bill Walton, but that was early in his career.

He was an above average role player which is exactly why he was such an asset to the Bulls.

finally... someone who understands that the solution isn't always "add another all star".

Showtime
01-25-2009, 02:05 AM
'67 and '83 sixers deserve mention.

Fatal9
01-25-2009, 02:09 AM
Mchale, Bird and Ainge?

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAFQ017~Danny-Ainge-Photofile-Posters.jpg
http://wayneandwax.com/wp/images/McHale.jpg
http://www.myclassiclyrics.com/artist_biographies/Larry_Bird_Biography.jpg

its almost laughable.

Your act is becoming jaded dude.

soadrules
01-25-2009, 02:16 AM

Harper= DJ
Jordan>Ainge
Pippen>Bird
Rodman>Mchale
Parish>longely

What the heck?

Pippen is better than Bird? Okayyy...

97 bulls
01-25-2009, 02:41 AM
how bout the 97 bulls? they could start:

pg pippen 6'7
sg jordan 6'6
sf kukoc 6'11
pf rodman 6'8
c bison dele or brian williams 6'11

no one can beat this line up

momo
01-25-2009, 09:34 AM
82-83 sixers lineup was a monster.
Moses Malone
Maurice Cheeks
Andrew Toney
Julius Erving

Bobby Jones
(jones often did not start, but he was the man... lots of guys started in the last slot)

~~~

Look, for the young kids reading the trols saying McHale was not great, watch the games before you believe it. He was SICK. An argument can be made for him as the best power forward ever. Yea. Maybe better than Duncan. Maybe better than the Mailman, Barkley and so on.

dnyk1337
01-25-2009, 09:43 AM
I suggest for everyone to report KB42 every time he makes a stupid post. This guy needs to be banned... seriously.

snipes12
01-25-2009, 09:45 AM
what matters is team chemistry than individual match ups
detroit04>>>>>>>>>>>>>celtics08
i would also want to consider the 05 pacers

tinsley
jackson
artest
oneal
foster

1987_Lakers
01-25-2009, 03:37 PM
how bout the 97 bulls? they could start:

pg pippen 6'7
sg jordan 6'6
sf kukoc 6'11
pf rodman 6'8
c bison dele or brian williams 6'11

no one can beat this line up

'86 Celtics still had a better starting 5.

DJ < Pippen
Ainge < MJ
Bird > Kukoc
McHale > Rodman
Parish > Dele or Williams

Plus that wasn't even the Bulls starting line-up.

Kiddlovesnets
01-25-2009, 03:43 PM
what matters is team chemistry than individual match ups
detroit04>>>>>>>>>>>>>celtics08
i would also want to consider the 05 pacers

tinsley
jackson
artest
oneal
foster

Lol the 04 Nets can definitely beat this Pacers team if everyone stays healthy:

C Alonzo Mourning
PF Kenyon Martin
SF Richard Jefferson
SG Kerry Kittles
PG Jason Kidd

97 bulls
01-25-2009, 03:45 PM
'86 Celtics still had a better starting 5.

DJ < Pippen
Ainge < MJ
Bird > Kukoc
McHale > Rodman
Parish > Dele or Williams

Plus that wasn't even the Bulls starting line-up.
let me start by saying i look at everything not just whos the better scorer. cuz id rather have rodman than mchale. i really think that mchale and parrish are overated. you look at the better scoring team and thats not even true.

biisak
01-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Mchale, Bird and Ainge?

its almost laughable.

So you

1987_Lakers
01-25-2009, 03:56 PM
let me start by saying i look at everything not just whos the better scorer. cuz id rather have rodman than mchale. i really think that mchale and parrish are overated. you look at the better scoring team and thats not even true.

What? That's not true. The '86 starters were just plain better. They were better inside, passing, & had better chemistry. That's not to say the Bulls starters were bad.

Rodman was great, but McHale was just better and Parish was better than any of the Bulls big men. You're just in denial. The C's have advantages in 4 of the 5 positions, just accept it.

97 bulls
01-25-2009, 06:29 PM
What? That's not true. The '86 starters were just plain better. They were better inside, passing, & had better chemistry. That's not to say the Bulls starters were bad.

Rodman was great, but McHale was just better and Parish was better than any of the Bulls big men. You're just in denial. The C's have advantages in 4 of the 5 positions, just accept it.
and here we go again. why is mchale better cuz hes a better scorer? and that particular lineup including rodman and williams were all excellent passers and decision makers. and while we can go back and forth about whos offense is better, the bulls are light years better on defense. but that doesnt matter to you.

97 bulls
01-25-2009, 06:40 PM
finally... someone who understands that the solution isn't always "add another all star".
i agree. and he was great in the role he played.

schism206
01-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Harper= DJ
Jordan>Ainge
Pippen>Bird
Rodman>Mchale
Parish>longely

I agree. The perimeter defense of jordan harper and pippen was a nightmare for opponents with their height and wingspan to go along with their defensive IQ and skills. Harper averaged around 20points 5 rebounds 5 assists 2 steal per game player before going to the bulls and accepting his position as a role player so he was no slouch. Pippen's defense gives him the edge over Bird. Rodman was basically the greatest rebounder ever and a big time hustle player who did the little things that don't show up in stats and got in people's heads. Overall the Celts team has a scoring edge but I think the defensive edge of the bulls far exceeds that. But yes longley gets owned by parish hands down. Even though Dennis Rodman said the competition in the NBA wasn't as good that year as some previous years, 72-10 and the domination in the playoffs cannot be touched.

Psileas
01-25-2009, 07:18 PM
I can't believe that the 60's Celtics didn't even get a single mention. I mean, if things are so, then let's just stop discussions and let's call Bill Russell the absolute GOAT, since he won 11 titles and his squad didn't even get a honorable mention among the all-time deepest starting-5's.

To get a little serious:

Bob Cousy (top-25 player ever)
Sam Jones (top-50 player ever)
Tom Sanders (the "weak link". Still, a defensive menace, the Michael Cooper of his day)
Tom Heinsohn (HOF'er)
Bill Russell (top-5 player ever)

1987_Lakers
01-25-2009, 07:20 PM
and here we go again. why is mchale better cuz hes a better scorer? and that particular lineup including rodman and williams were all excellent passers and decision makers. and while we can go back and forth about whos offense is better, the bulls are light years better on defense. but that doesnt matter to you.

Comparing Rodman to McHale is like comparing a prime Ben Wallace to a prime Kevin Garnett.

Rodman was a one dimensional player. All he can do was defend and rebound. Kevin McHale was more versatile, he was much better offensively and a very solid defender. Offensively McHale was unstoppable, this guy at one point shot 60% from the field. McHale in his prime was looked at as one of the elite players in the NBA. Anyone who thinks Rodman was a better basketball player than McHale doesn't know basketball.

I agree that the Bulls were better defensively, but they were not "light years" better like you say. Boston was arguably the best defensive team in the NBA in 1986. Boston held their opponents to the lowest FG% in the NBA and were #3 in the NBA in scoring defense.

1986 NBA FG% average - 48.6 FG%
1986 Celtics FG% defense - 46.1 FG% (#1 in the NBA)

1996 NBA FG% average - 46.2 FG%
1996 Bulls FG% defense - 44.8 FG% (#8 in the NBA)

To say the Bulls were "light years" better defensively is ridiculous. Right now you are sounding very bias.

1987_Lakers
01-25-2009, 07:22 PM
I can't believe that the 60's Celtics didn't even get a single mention. I mean, if things are so, then let's just stop discussions and let's call Bill Russell the absolute GOAT, since he won 11 titles and his squad didn't even get a honorable mention among the all-time deepest starting-5's.

To get a little serious:

Bob Cousy (top-25 player ever)
Sam Jones (top-50 player ever)
Tom Sanders (the "weak link". Still, a defensive menace, the Michael Cooper of his day)
Tom Heinsohn (HOF'er)
Bill Russell (top-5 player ever)

Yep, I was the only one who atleast mentioned the 60's Celtics. Many people on the ISH know very little about basketball in the 50's & 60's which is a shame.

AItheAnswer3
01-25-2009, 07:28 PM
1983 Sixers

97 bulls
01-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Comparing Rodman to McHale is like comparing a prime Ben Wallace to a prime Kevin Garnett.

Rodman was a one dimensional player. All he can do was defend and rebound. Kevin McHale was more versatile, he was much better offensively and a very solid defender. Offensively McHale was unstoppable, this guy at one point shot 60% from the field. McHale in his prime was looked at as one of the elite players in the NBA. Anyone who thinks Rodman was a better basketball player than McHale doesn't know basketball.

I agree that the Bulls were better defensively, but they were not "light years" better like you say. Boston was arguably the best defensive team in the NBA in 1986. Boston held their opponents to the lowest FG% in the NBA and were #3 in the NBA in scoring defense.

1986 NBA FG% average - 48.6 FG%
1986 Celtics FG% defense - 46.1 FG% (#1 in the NBA)

1996 NBA FG% average - 46.2 FG%
1996 Bulls FG% defense - 44.8 FG% (#8 in the NBA)

To say the Bulls were "light years" better defensively is ridiculous. Right now you are sounding very bias.
the stats you use dont help your point. in 96 and 97 the bulls were the number 1 rated offense and in 86 the celtics were 8th. i wouldnt say that because of this the bulls are the better offensive team.

and mchale is no garnett. id say he closer to rasheed wallace. without the range.

1987_Lakers
01-25-2009, 08:23 PM
the stats you use dont help your point. in 96 and 97 the bulls were the number 1 rated offense and in 86 the celtics were 8th. i wouldnt say that because of this the bulls are the better offensive team.

and mchale is no garnett. id say he closer to rasheed wallace. without the range.

Celtics had more offensive weapons than the Bulls. Boston was #8 in scoring because they didn't like to run as much, they played in a much slower pace than other NBA teams. The Celtics mostly played a Half Court game. You also didn't mention that Boston made 50.8% of their shots, #2 in the NBA just behind the Lakers.

And you need to stop with the comparing. First you compared Pippen to Bird, then you compared Marion to Worthy, and now it's Rasheed Wallace to Kevin McHale??? This is getting out of control.:oldlol:

97 bulls
01-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Celtics had more offensive weapons than the Bulls. Boston was #8 in scoring because they didn't like to run as much, they played in a much slower pace than other NBA teams. The Celtics mostly played a Half Court game. You also didn't mention that Boston made 50.8% of their shots, #2 in the NBA just behind the Lakers.

And you need to stop with the comparing. First you compared Pippen to Bird, then you compared Marion to Worthy, and now it's Rasheed Wallace to Kevin McHale??? This is getting out of control.:oldlol:
lol dont forget i compared penny hardaway (in the begining) to magic johnson. and you just compared mchale to kg. and the stat i used was more to prove that they dont tell the whole story.

1987_Lakers
01-25-2009, 08:42 PM
lol dont forget i compared penny hardaway (in the begining) to magic johnson. and you just compared mchale to kg. and the stat i used was more to prove that they dont tell the whole story.

I did not compare McHale to KG. I said "comparing Rodman to McHale is like comparing a prime Ben Wallace to a prime Kevin Garnett."

And the only reason I pulled out those defensive stats was to prove to you that the Bulls were not "light years" better than the Celtics defensively. Like I said in my previous post, The Celtics were arguably the best defensive team in '86 and 3 of the 5 Celtics starters made the All-Defensive Team 3 or more times during their careers.

97 bulls
01-25-2009, 08:56 PM
I did not compare McHale to KG. I said "comparing Rodman to McHale is like comparing a prime Ben Wallace to a prime Kevin Garnett."

And the only reason I pulled out those defensive stats was to prove to you that the Bulls were not "light years" better than the Celtics defensively. Like I said in my previous post, The Celtics were arguably the best defensive team in '86 and 3 of the 5 Celtics starters made the All-Defensive Team 3 or more times during their careers.
whatever bro :hammerhead:

leopoldstotch
01-25-2009, 11:14 PM
oh how i love how the young posters here have inane knowledge of basketball history. :eek:

i do agree about
'62 Celtics (I note this year in particular because they had Bob Cousy, Sam Jones, Bill Russell (at the middle years of his prime)
'65 Celtics (I note this year in particular because they had John Havlicek, Sam Jones, Bill Russell (at the closing years of his prime)

'83 Sixers
'86 Celtics
'87 Lakers

'92 Bulls
'97 Bulls

Also:

late 80s-early 90s Portland Trail Blazers
PG Terry Porter
SG Clyde Drexler
SF Jerome Kersey
PF Buck Williams
C Kevin Duckworth

1995 Houston Rockets
PG Kenny Smith
SG Mario Elie
SF Clyde Drexler
PF Robert Horry
C Hakeem Olajuwon

momo
01-26-2009, 06:22 AM
late 80s-early 90s Portland Trail Blazers
PG Terry Porter
SG Clyde Drexler
SF Jerome Kersey
PF Buck Williams
C Kevin Duckworth

1995 Houston Rockets
PG Kenny Smith
SG Mario Elie
SF Clyde Drexler
PF Robert Horry
C Hakeem Olajuwon

Good call, I always forget how nasty that P town team was. One of the best "no ring" teams.

Jasper
01-26-2009, 06:25 PM
15 years ago reflecting back on the past history of the NBA , the Knicks team would of been a major focal point with Monroe , Frazer, Debush, Bradley and Reed.
compared to Lakers teams w/West, Goodrich, Wilt etc...

BUt I am fortunate to have seen all of these teams , and I'd really like to say the best 5 on the floor was the 72 win Bulls team with Pip ,rodman, MJ, but Tony K. came off the bench.
----------
So IMO the Celtics with Ainge. And the reason why I state it , needless to say they had probably the all time greatest front lines , BUT Ainge I hated with a passion. A cry baby player , that hit jumpers with deadliness and his defense was way way under rated. Johnson was under rated as well , but a versatile PG.
This team was very unselfish and passed like no other team in basketball.

Best starting 5 - Celtics.

1987_Lakers
01-26-2009, 07:14 PM
So IMO the Celtics with Ainge. And the reason why I state it , needless to say they had probably the all time greatest front lines , BUT Ainge I hated with a passion. A cry baby player , that hit jumpers with deadliness and his defense was way way under rated. Johnson was under rated as well , but a versatile PG.
This team was very unselfish and passed like no other team in basketball.

Best starting 5 - Celtics.

I agree with you 100% on Danny Ainge. Ainge's versatility was one of the most underrated things about his game. People knew he can shoot, but he also was a solid defender and a very good passer.

1987_Lakers
01-28-2009, 01:22 AM
How about the '85 Sixers starting 5?

C - Moses Malone
PF - Charles Barkley
SF - Julius Erving
SG - Andrew Toney
PG - Maurice Cheeks
:eek: :eek: :eek:

The problem is Barkley was only a rookie, Dr. J was past his prime, and they didn't have the great chemistry compared to other great starting five's like the '86 Celtics, '87 Lakers, '73 Knicks, & '96 Bulls.

clayton
01-28-2009, 03:08 AM

Bird > LeBron and Kobe.
Stats and achievement aside, Bird would get murdered even by Pierce in today's game. The standard has been up'd, just like the whole world has.

miles berg
01-28-2009, 06:06 AM
Stats and achievement aside, Bird would get murdered even by Pierce in today's game.

You honestly can't believe that, right?

Sir Charles
02-03-2009, 03:19 AM

C - Parish > Perkins
SF - Bird > Pierce
SG - Ainge < Allen
PG - DJ > Rondo

Maybe not even better. Garnett`s stats are inflated because he played with scrubs in the timberwolves.

Kevin McHale would outscore Garnett by miles not to mention Garnett would probably get fouled out under today`s rules.

snipes12
02-03-2009, 03:58 AM
2011 Las Vegas Tycoons

pg= chris quinn
sg= jj reddick
sf= matt bonner
pf= brian scalabrini
c= joel pryzbilla

crisoner
02-03-2009, 04:39 AM

How old are you?

Really....you need to think before you type.