PDA

View Full Version : Ray Allen replaces Jameer Nelson in 2009 All-Star game

insidehoops
02-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Boston Celtics guard Ray Allen has been named by NBA Commissioner David Stern to replace injured East All-Star guard Jameer Nelson (torn labrum, right shoulder) of the Orlando Magic in the 2009 NBA All-Star Game in Phoenix. Allen will be making his ninth All-Star appearance.

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=3337

kentatm
02-05-2009, 05:24 PM
:oldlol:

lets hear Bron cry some more about the diss

Meticode
Good. Mo Williams can get more rest.

KingJay718
Boooo. Mo Williams should've gotten the nod.

catzhernandez
What a ****ing joke. First, David Stern makes it to where the Lakers are a powerhouse again, then suddenly the Celtics are winning 66 games, and now his beloved big 3 are in the All Star game together.

heavensdevil
02-05-2009, 05:28 PM
shoulda been Vince, and rashard lewis should have been left off the team IMO.

Spudjjay
02-05-2009, 05:28 PM
This is pathetic, Ray Allen has been an injury replacement for the third year in a row.

catzhernandez
02-05-2009, 05:29 PM
What a ****ing joke. First, David Stern makes it to where the Lakers are a powerhouse again, then suddenly the Celtics are winning 66 games, and now his beloved big 3 are in the All Star game together.
Thanks for the edit?

SilentObserver
02-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Great news:applause:

Da Ballahollic
02-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Bullshit:rant

NOHCP3
02-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Cool for Ray... Its not a travesty that Mo isnt there.. but hes still all star worthy.

west
WOO HOO!!!!!Ray doesn't mind it then i don't care,RAY FOR AS MVP!!!!:hammertime:

Godfather
Celtics now have 3 all stars to the Cavs 1. How we were able to beat them by such a margin earlier this year is beyond me.

wang4three
I think we all knew this would happen. Gives the ASG more star power.

MMM
02-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Ray should have been on the team to begin with people can't be serious when they say Mo should of made the team over him.

AirJordan23
Mo Williams deserves it more than Ray Allen. Besides, the Celtics already have Paul Pierce and KG. With the record the Cavs have right now, they certainly deserve to have more than 1 all-star.

DukeDelonte13
no surprise to me :rolleyes:

Real Men Wear Green
02-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Good for Ray. He's at times overlooked nationally in favor of Garnett and Pierce, but he's an important piece without whom a Championship would be impossible.

catzhernandez
02-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Good for Ray. He's at times overlooked nationally in favor of Garnett and Pierce, but he's an important piece without whom a Championship would be impossible.
Nobody said he wasn't.

He just didn't deserve to make this all star team. Plain and simple.

Spudjjay
02-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Ray Allen should only be considered a 6 time All-Star. No one has ever gotten that much love from the commissioner before.

At least put an asterisk next to his All-Star appearances.

Nobody said he wasn't.

Agreed.

catzhernandez
02-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Ray Allen should only be considered a 6 time All-Star. No one has ever gotten that much love from the commissioner before.
That's what I'm saying.

Ray Ray's lips must be uber-soft.

All Net
02-05-2009, 05:37 PM
This will only make Lebron even greater if the Cavs knock off the Celtics in the playoffs.

Spudjjay
02-05-2009, 05:38 PM
That's what I'm saying.

Ray Ray's lips must be uber-soft.

He is the absolute worst player to have "9 All-Star" appearances.

Kingwillball
02-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Allen is a glorified role player who got the nod because he plays for Boston. Anywhere else and he doesn't get the nod.

Godfather
02-05-2009, 05:39 PM

Do you know the players with 9+ all star games by chance?

I want to see a list in comparison.

MMM
02-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Mo Williams deserves it more than Ray Allen. Besides, the Celtics already have Paul Pierce and KG. With the record the Cavs have right now, they certainly deserve to have more than 1 all-star.

how does mo williams deserve to be in the all star game over Ray are you kidding? just compare there #'s

Ray 18 ppg on 50FG%/41 3ptfg%/90ft% compared to
Mo 17/4 apg as a pg while shooting 46% from the feild and 40 from 3

However, you have to take note that Ray has arguably been the best Celtic tis year while at most Mo is the 2nd best Cav. Ray easily deserves to be on the team over the likes of Mo williams.

Spudjjay
02-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Allen is a glorified role player who got the nod because he plays for Boston. Anywhere else and he doesn't get the nod.

He hasn't made the initial AllStar roster since the 05-06 season. It's pathetic.

MMM
02-05-2009, 05:41 PM

anywahere else he avgs 22-23 ppg and still makes the team

AMISTILLILL
02-05-2009, 05:42 PM
However, you have to take note that Ray has arguably been the best Celtic tis year

As far as consistency goes, yeah.

Spudjjay
02-05-2009, 05:42 PM
anywahere else he avgs 22-23 ppg and still makes the team

On a bad team and he doesn't make the AllStar roster.

SESSEL15
02-05-2009, 05:43 PM

That doesn't make much sense. If he was anywhere else, he would have better numbers, thus an even greater reason for him to be an all-star. He is way more than a role player by the way.

Spudjjay
02-05-2009, 05:44 PM
That doesn't make much sense. If he was anywhere else, he would have better numbers, thus an even greater reason for him to be an all-star. He is way more than a role player by the way.

This is not true. In his best season ever(06-07), he was not selected by the coaches as an AllStar.

Vancouver-Grizz
02-05-2009, 05:48 PM
He hasn't made the initial AllStar roster since the 05-06 season. It's pathetic.

you know what is pathetic?? Its you....quit baggin on Ray....For F*CK sakes, if you don't like the guy, stop talking about him. You spend more time baggin on a player that probably never did anything to offend you. Is it his fault that the commissioner appointed him as the allstar replacement? Are you blamming Allen that he should publicly declind the offer and tell them to put Mo on the team instead? Seriously man....your obsession for Ray Allen is quite disturbing. SEEK HELP!

SESSEL15
02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
This is not true. In his best season ever(06-07), he was not selected by the coaches as an AllStar.

Sometimes that happens dude. I get the feeling that people are downplaying this guy. I see no problem with him being there. Who do you feel should have been selection instead, out of curiousity?

G-train
02-05-2009, 05:57 PM

what ajoke. This is completely unsubstantiated crap.

G-train
02-05-2009, 05:59 PM

Because C's have three stars and the rest are role players, bar Rondo who is a good solid PG. The Cav's have one phenom, two good players and the phenom drags the rest with him.

SESSEL15
02-05-2009, 05:59 PM
what ajoke. This is completely unsubstantiated crap.

Ya man, some people are either haters, or don't watch basketball, and come up with crap like that.

G-train
02-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Celtics now have 3 all stars to the Cavs 1. How we were able to beat them by such a margin earlier this year is beyond me.

Your 12 played better than their 12.

insidehoops
Spudjjay: Did someone who looks like Ray Allen shove you off your bicycle a lot when you were a kid or something? :lol

G-train
I think we all knew this would happen. Gives the ASG more star power.

QFT

G-train

:lol You are an irrational hater

HisJoeness
02-05-2009, 06:02 PM

I honestly don't understand this line of reasoning. I always thought that you were an All-Star due to exemplary play on the court not because another team has three and your team only has one.

CasterL
02-05-2009, 06:04 PM
ray should have had all star mvp last year but was robbed by the lebron love train, im glad hes in

Poodle Bark
02-05-2009, 06:04 PM
BWHAHAHA!!!! These fools dont even know they're furtering LeBron's legacy mis-omit after mis-omit.

LMFAO @ a 39-9 team having just one all-star.

big baller
02-05-2009, 06:07 PM
I hate the Celtics and cannot stress how much i do so, but i am so happy tht rayray made it, just cuz it pisses off spudd....HAHA!!!!!!! :roll::roll::roll:

G-train
02-05-2009, 06:08 PM
I honestly don't understand this line of reasoning. I always thought that you were an All-Star due to exemplary play on the court not because another team has three and your team only has one.

You are dead right Joeness.

west
02-05-2009, 06:12 PM
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff322/yinwest/you_still_mad.jpg

Real Men Wear Green
02-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Nobody said he wasn't.

He just made the All-Star team...plain and simple. Don't like it? Tough. You may be surprised to learn how little your objection bothers me.

MD23
02-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I think its pretty stupid lettin a guy be injury replacement 3 years in a row Vince is more of an allstar than ray however i believe Mo Williams has gotta be in there the Cavs offense has improved so much since he got there ppl hate on his cos he dosent have "Allstar Numbers" but when it comes to gettin wins for his team hes an allstar n thats what counts imho.

Kblaze8855
02-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Ray is putting up 18 a game on 50% shooting, 41% from 3, and 94% from the line while making clutch shots all over the place. How many people to do that welll on teams as good as the Celtics arent all stars? especially a proven star like Ray. Not like Mo Williams playing well. Ray is a proven star who is taking under 13 shots a game for the sake of the team. Mo is a good guard on a team with a good record but hes on that Dana Barros "He was an all star?" level. good player. But Ray Allen is a real star. Not like Ray is actually playing worse than him either. Hes a perfectly deserving all star.

G-train
02-05-2009, 06:32 PM
^^ damn straight. Been arguing it for a few days, and been waiting for some backup.

:cheers:

G-train
02-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Blaze, maybe you can do a '09 Allstar Snub mix to keep the haters happy? :)

1~Gibson~1
02-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Im okay with either Ray-Ray or Mo being on the team, but what bugz me iz that they didnt chose a real center. Instead they chose Bosh :rolleyes:

JJ81
02-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Good. Mo Williams can get more rest.

:roll:

JJ81
02-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Isn't this the third straight season Rayray has stood in for an injured player? :oldlol:

nbastatus
02-05-2009, 06:40 PM
cool:cheers:
hope he will score around 20 points :rockon:

JEFFERSON MONEY
02-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Im okay with either Ray-Ray or Mo being on the team, but what bugz me iz that they didnt chose a real center. Instead they chose Bosh :rolleyes:

:oldlol: Doez it really phucking matter in the all-star game? Like when's the last time you saw an awesome defensive play with a classic center clogging the paint and playing "fundamental bigman defense." Bosh will provide the mid-range lefty J'z, a few nasty blocks, and the speed to make this an exciting one. Besides statistcally he's second to Dwight in EC

Anyways YES Ray'z my fav playah of all time, and let him chock one up for his legacy once more. Admit its awfully lucky but hey I'm not complainin'

I remember about three years back he had the most points in the ASG but LBJ took over in the clutch.

G-train
02-05-2009, 06:42 PM

Yeah that was crap. What center would you choose? Okafor? Murphy? Would have been nice to have another big in there

gotbacon23

what real center deserved to make it?

okafor? lopez? o'neal? perkins? dalembert? look at the centers in the east and its not pretty outside of howard

illgauskas would be the only viable one but he missed a chunk of time.

nbastatus
:oldlol: Doez it really phucking matter in the all-star game? Like when's the last time you saw an awesome defensive play with a classic center clogging the paint and playing "fundamental bigman defense." Bosh will provide the mid-range lefty J'z, a few nasty blocks, and the speed to make this an exciting one.

Anyways YES Ray'z my fav playah of all time, and let him chock one up for his legacy once more. Admit its awfully lucky but hey I'm not complainin'

I remember about three years back he had the most points in the ASG but LBJ took over in the clutch.
also last year. :cry:

1~Gibson~1
02-05-2009, 06:44 PM
:oldlol: Doez it really phucking matter in the all-star game? Like when's the last time you saw an awesome defensive play with a classic center clogging the paint and playing "fundamental bigman defense." Bosh will provide the mid-range lefty J'z, a few nasty blocks, and the speed to make this an exciting one. Besides statistcally he's second to Dwight in EC

I remember about three years back he had the most points in the ASG but LBJ took over in the clutch.yes it matterz because Ilguaskas earned it, and it will be on Bosh's resume for the rest of eternity :rant

Bosh = PF

Z = C

you're suppose to pick a center not a PF

Real Men Wear Green
02-05-2009, 06:45 PM
I think its pretty stupid lettin a guy be injury replacement 3 years in a row Vince is more of an allstar than ray however i believe Mo Williams has gotta be in there the Cavs offense has improved so much since he got there ppl hate on his cos he dosent have "Allstar Numbers" but when it comes to gettin wins for his team hes an allstar n thats what counts imho.
What did punctuation marks do to you to spark such a vicious vendetta?

SCY
02-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Ray is putting up 18 a game on 50% shooting, 41% from 3, and 94% from the line while making clutch shots all over the place. How many people to do that welll on teams as good as the Celtics arent all stars? especially a proven star like Ray. Not like Mo Williams playing well. Ray is a proven star who is taking under 13 shots a game for the sake of the team. Mo is a good guard on a team with a good record but hes on that Dana Barros "He was an all star?" level. good player. But Ray Allen is a real star. Not like Ray is actually playing worse than him either. Hes a perfectly deserving all star.

This. Not that it's the end-all, be-all, but his +- is higher than KG's and Pierce. Last year his selection was questionable, this year it was outrageous he didn't make the first cut.

AznTacoLover
02-05-2009, 07:21 PM
ohhh sweet! :applause:

Ken_Masters
02-05-2009, 07:22 PM
I agree with whoever said Ray should have made the first cut to begin with. The guy is an all-star, and belongs on the team. End of story.

HisJoeness
02-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Ray is putting up 18 a game on 50% shooting, 41% from 3, and 94% from the line while making clutch shots all over the place. How many people to do that well on teams as good as the Celtics aren't all stars? especially a proven star like Ray. Not like Mo Williams playing well. Ray is a proven star who is taking under 13 shots a game for the sake of the team. Mo is a good guard on a team with a good record but hes on that Dana Barros "He was an all star?" level. good player. But Ray Allen is a real star. Not like Ray is actually playing worse than him either. Hes a perfectly deserving all star.

You hit the nail on the head with that one.

Mr_Basketball#1
02-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Mike Brown is coaching this so if Ray doesn't get much playing time, we will know why.

Nets fan 93
02-05-2009, 08:24 PM
This is pathetic, Ray Allen has been an injury replacement for the third year in a row.
at least he made it...

Cavs2007Champs
02-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Ray is putting up 18 a game on 50% shooting, 41% from 3, and 94% from the line while making clutch shots all over the place. How many people to do that welll on teams as good as the Celtics arent all stars? especially a proven star like Ray. Not like Mo Williams playing well. Ray is a proven star who is taking under 13 shots a game for the sake of the team.

Mo's numbers are practically identical. I thought All Stars went on what you brought to your teams, and Mo is on a cavs team who is only 6 wins away from matching last years totals, and there are over 30 games to play still.

I think it's just fair enough to put Mo on the team and then the top 3 teams all have 2 All Stars, I mean there is obviously more than 1 player from each team doing a hell of a job.

I just think Mo should be on the team.

Ray and Mo both are the 3rd player on the team. I haven't watched as many Celtics games, but KG has brought both ends of intensity up, and Pierce is there go to guy, so how is it that Ray is the best player, he hits his big shots, that's great, but Pierce and KG I think are deservedly the 1st and 2nd best players on their teams.

Z could have been a lock at back up C if he had not missed so many games, Z is the 2nd best Center in the East, and I don't think if he was healthy there would have been any complaints about him making the All Star team.

willds09
02-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I would love to see nate robinson in an all star game at least 1 time.

adamcz
02-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Mo was the same exact player last year. Unless you advocated him being on the all-star team last year, keep quiet.

Ray Allen is well deserving.

Kblaze8855
02-06-2009, 01:44 AM
Mo's numbers are practically identical. I thought All Stars went on what you brought to your teams, and Mo is on a cavs team who is only 6 wins away from matching last years totals, and there are over 30 games to play still.

I think it's just fair enough to put Mo on the team and then the top 3 teams all have 2 All Stars, I mean there is obviously more than 1 player from each team doing a hell of a job.

Who else should have been an all star on the 94 Rockets besides Hakeem? 02-04 Spurs besides Duncan? 02 finals Nets besids Kidd? A tgeam being good...even world champ level..doesnt mean it has more than one all star. Ray Allen is a 9 time all star. A proven superstar who has led his own teams to 50+ wins and conference finals. Hes more productive than Mo overall. More points better shooting overall and from 3 and they both shoot 94 from the line. Mo gets an extra assist but thats it. Hes a point playing with one of the best finishers ever. HE should get the extra assist. Hes not playing better and hes not a better player. Shouldnt be an all star just because the Cavs are good. Hes no more of an all star than Kenyon Martin should have been in 2002 or Otis Thorpe or Vernon Maxwell in 94 when the Rockets won it all.

Hes not a dumb pick...but there is nothing to be upset about if he doesnt get in over Ray Allen who is a flat out better player having at least an equal season.

G-train
02-06-2009, 01:48 AM
Mo was the same exact player last year. Unless you advocated him being on the all-star team last year, keep quiet.

Ray Allen is well deserving.

Dead right...

All Net
02-06-2009, 02:49 AM
As I said before this selection with leaving Mo out will make Lebron look even greater if the Cavs do beat the Celtics in the playoffs. Which I kind of expect will happen unless Boston can get more bench help. Davis and Powe as their main guys off the bench will not get it done.

shaoyut
02-06-2009, 03:17 AM
**** you

Lebron23
02-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Expect Mo Williams to destroy Ray Allen in the playoffs. Cavaliers are the best team in the Eastern Conference, but they only have one representative in the All Star Game.

biisak
02-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Expect Mo Williams to destroy Ray Allen in the playoffs. Cavaliers are the best team in the Eastern Conference, but they only have one representative in the All Star Game.

Why should they have more? Would you rather have Mo Williams or Ray Allen on your team? There are several players who would

Take Your Lumps
02-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Any word yet if Jameer will still be helping Dwight out in the dunk contest? Maybe using his left arm?

Mississippi
02-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Mo could have made a case for AS replacement, but he struggled to play well after being snubbed. Ray Allen performed and I think the gamewinner was the icing on the cake. I agree though, the cavs deserve two All Stars.

biisak
02-06-2009, 09:46 AM
No they dont... They

Paul_Pierce_Fan
02-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Man this was easily the right choice (not just saying cos im a boston fan)... Da allstar game is about gathering the best players in the nba playing a entertaining game of basketball for the fans... Ray Allen is a future Hall of Famer (May become NBA's best shooter of all time when retired) not to mention when put in a team with average players could easily average 23+ppg (averaged almost 27ppg the year before heading to boston) whereas Mo Williams, although he made the Cavs team much better would average less and would struggle more than Ray...,,Im not saying Mo williams is not a good player,(I think he has a extremely underrated jump shot)but the All Star game is about talent and not impact which in this case Ray Allen wins ( i still reckon players like jefferson, durant, melo, and carter were snubbed... west, amare, iverson and lewis did not deserve it )... maybe if there were a "impact stars" game heck Mo would be up there in my list but as for the ASG....Ray Allen U deserve it

quasimoto
02-06-2009, 09:54 AM
I don't understand why Cavs fans are so offended by this decision. Mo will have a nice relaxing week at the Bahama's while the Big Three can travel and play their asses off for a game that means nothing in the end.