PDA

View Full Version : Hornets Trade Tyson Chandler to Thunder

206kid
02-17-2009, 02:22 PM
UPDATE: The trade is now an official transaction: http://www.insidehoops.com/hornets-trade-chandler-021709.shtml

UPDATE 2: The trade has been UNDONE! Discuss that here: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121289

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3913301

The New Orleans Hornets and Oklahoma City Thunder have completed a deal that sends center Tyson Chandler to the Thunder, according to NBA front-office sources. Sources with knowledge of the trade parameters told ESPN.com that the deal was approved by the league office Tuesday afternoon, with the Hornets receiving forwards Joe Smith and Chris Wilcox in exchange for their best interior defender.

The deal has yet to be announced by the teams, but sources say that the Hornets will also receive the draft rights to DeVon Hardin, who was selected No. 50 overall by the Thunder in the 2008 draft.

niko
02-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Teams breaking up near title quality teams just to save money is a bad bad situation for the league. Very sad...

ihatetimthomas
02-17-2009, 02:25 PM
I dont get it. He is perfect with Chris Paul and makes life easier for Paul as well. And wasnt Chandler hailed as one of the best centers just last year? My how things change

bleedinpurpleTwo
02-17-2009, 02:27 PM
wow. IF this goes thru, the Hornets will be OUT of contention for the championship.

How many points/assists do Pau/Chandler get from those little pic-roll lobs?

Legit NBA caliber starting centers are very very hard to come by.

hawkfan
02-17-2009, 02:30 PM
If it goes through, great trade for OKC and bad trade for the Hornets.

Chandler got his career going during his time with the Hornets.

Smith is a solid veteran, but his days are numbered.

Wilcox is very lazy.

gts
02-17-2009, 02:33 PM
wow. IF this goes thru, the Hornets will be OUT of contention for the championship.

How many points/assists do Pau/Chandler get from those little pic-roll lobs?

Legit NBA caliber starting centers are very very hard to come by.hornets throwing in the towel on the season...

InspiredLebowski
02-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Wow, Tyson Chandler is still only 26. Those high school kids always seem so much older, he does already have over 500 games on him.

ihatetimthomas
02-17-2009, 02:36 PM
hornets throwing in the towel on the season...

They are good for 6th in the west and 10 games over .500. And they have had some injuries so far. Just seems like owner wants to save some cash at the expense of being contenders

Venja42
02-17-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't know how terrible of a deal it will be for NO.

Wilcox has been a promising young talent for some time and should flourish with CP3. Joe Smith is a consummate professional and can help any team.

NO might receive picks in the deal which will only sweeten the pot. This makes them contenders for the free agency in '09 and could help with drafting young talent.

niko
02-17-2009, 02:38 PM
I don't know how terrible of a deal it will be for NO.

Wilcox has been a promising young talent for some time and should flourish with CP3. Joe Smith is a consummate professional and can help any team.

NO might receive picks in the deal which will only sweeten the pot. This makes them contenders for the free agency in '09 and could help with drafting young talent.

No, they have no cap room even without Chandler.

Rab
02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't know why anyone would be surprised by this if it happens.

$$$$

Teams are trying to save right now and get below the luxury tax threshold. The economy is crumbling and NBA owners and teams are not immune to it. Not just for this season, but the next two seasons. Teams are trying to put themselves in position to weather the predicted drop in season ticket sales, and merchandise, and stay away from having to pay the dollar for dollar luxury tax.

We could see a few more of these moves here shortly.

InspiredLebowski
02-17-2009, 02:45 PM
The salary cap may also go down next season, and with it the tax threshold. I read a story on TrueHoop about the NBA taking out a $175m loan and 15 teams have requested parts of the money, league said they can use it to cover whatever they need to.

LJJ
02-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Never ceases to amaze me when a legitimate center, of which there are only about 10 in the league, gets traded. For scraps no less.

niko
02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
:rant

sigh, there are going to be a few teams basically give up on their seasons during this deadline, there will be a lot of disappointed people here.

A.M.G.
02-17-2009, 02:52 PM
If this has actually happened...

Paul will turn Wilcox into exactly what Chandler was for them on offence. They lose some rebounding and some defense.

The Thunder get an overrated, overpaid, low-basketball IQ athletic freak. Good luck with Westbrook handling him.

It`s too bad the Hornets were forced to do this for financial reasons, Chandler`s usefulness was maximized with Paul as his PG. Not sure if this hurts them as much as people think though.

Valliant13
02-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Straight cash dump on the Hornets part. Unsuprising given there finacial situation, and how hard attendance is likely to hit them next year...if their still even in NO.

Great move for the Thunder. Chandler has his flaws, but he massively improves their front court defense and rebounding. If they draft a quality SG this that could be a fantastic team very soon.

macatak911
02-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Straight cash dump on the Hornets part. Unsuprising given there finacial situation, and how hard attendance is likely to hit them next year...if their still even in NO.

Great move for the Thunder. Chandler has his flaws, but he massively improves their front court defense and rebounding. If they draft a quality SG this that could be a fantastic team very soon.

If you did your research you would find the Hornets are 19th in attendance and EIGHTH in the league in attendance percentage with 97.5% (meaning 97.5% of the seats in the New Orleans arena are sold on average.)

If you also did your research you would find the sole reason behind this is to avoid paying luxury tax dollars next year (the Posey signing put the Hornets in this situation)

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=518669

"The Hornets would wriggle out of Chandler's contract and get themselves out of a potential luxury-tax mess next season."

Order:

1)Fiscal responsibility
2)Basketball

Venja42
02-17-2009, 02:58 PM
No, they have no cap room even without Chandler.

Cap room isn't as important as the luxary tax is . . .

statman32
02-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Sources say the deal is now done.

UConnCeltics
02-17-2009, 03:20 PM
How old is Chandler? If the Thunder get Griffin in the draft... holy crap.
C-Chandler
F-Griffin
F-Green
G-Durant
G-Westbrook

Good young core. 4 top 5 picks... and I'm not sure where Chandler was drafted.

kentatm
02-17-2009, 03:21 PM
the deal is done and so is the Hornets season.

qrich
02-17-2009, 03:22 PM
How old is Chandler? If the Thunder get Griffin in the draft... holy crap.
C-Chandler
F-Griffin
F-Green
G-Durant
G-Westbrook

Westbrook-Harden-Durant-Krstic-Chandler with Green off the bench > that

statman32
02-17-2009, 03:22 PM
I suggest picking up Chris Wilcox and dropping Nenad Krstic.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
02-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Thunder are going to be nice in a few years. If they get their hands on Griffin that would be insane. James Harden would also be pretty sick

UConnCeltics
02-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Westbrook-Harden-Durant-Krstic-Chandler with Green off the bench > that
I'd laugh if OKC goes into a dynasty instead of Portland. Oden sitting on the bench while KD wins championships....

Hopper15
02-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Hornets should've never signed Posey and Mo Peterson. That's eleven million right there that's forcing you to cut costs with Chandler.

gts
02-17-2009, 03:26 PM
They are good for 6th in the west and 10 games over .500. And they have had some injuries so far. Just seems like owner wants to save some cash at the expense of being contenders
we'll see... the day of the trade they are in 6th place 2 and a half games ahead of the 9th place team (jazz) they don't have alot of wiggle room if making the playoffs are of any value to them

Attila
02-17-2009, 03:34 PM
I expect Joe Smith to turn it up a notch.

Huey Freeman
02-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Hornets should've never signed Posey and Mo Peterson. That's eleven million right there that's forcing you to cut costs with Chandler.
QFT.

Yung D-Will
02-17-2009, 03:36 PM
we'll see... the day of the trade they are in 6th place 2 and a half games ahead of the 9th place team (jazz) they don't have alot of wiggle room if making the playoffs are of any value to them

We're the 8th place team tyvm. Phoenix is in 9th

DoubleTech
02-17-2009, 03:37 PM
from the espn article:

At the Hornets' Tuesday morning shootaround in Oklahoma City, West told the New Orleans Times Picayune that he was hoping his team would resist the trade interest in Chandler.

"I don't know if that's somebody we can afford to lose,'' West told the newspaper. "So I'm not sold on that idea. You just don't find a 7-foot-1 athlete like that and he's the only 7-footer we have. Especially if we're planning on making a run into the playoffs, we're going to need size to compete with Portland, San Antonio and the Lakers. I'm not sure that would help us.''

there's no way any hornets fan can sugarcoat this deal. owners like shinn and sarver shouldn't be allowed to have franchises.

who was in charge of the cavs when they religously traded their draft picks over a decade ago?

SCY
02-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Wow I did not know they signed Stojakavic for that much (13-14-15m from now till '11). Who else was offering even close to that?

statman32
02-17-2009, 03:42 PM
I wish we could have kept Marion and traded him for Tyson Chandler and salary cap filler.

PG/Jrich/SF/Amare/Chandler for the future. :hammerhead:

OneMoreSucka
02-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Looks like a first round exit for the hornets this year.

kentatm
02-17-2009, 03:44 PM
there's no way any hornets fan can sugarcoat this deal. owners like shinn and sarver shouldn't be allowed to have franchises.

who was in charge of the cavs when they religously traded their draft picks over a decade ago?

Mark Cuban doesnt look so bad now does he ya'll?

oh, and we knew Shinn was a punk with how he treated the Charlotte fan base

Detroit
02-17-2009, 03:46 PM
wow, thunder got a steal, amazing

chandler/westbrook/durant/green

and a sh*t loads of picks ahead of them.

watch out for the grizzles and thunder

DoubleTech
02-17-2009, 03:54 PM

i like mark cuban... he actually makes the mavs interesting.

kentatm
02-17-2009, 03:56 PM
i like mark cuban... he actually makes the mavs interesting.

didnt mean to make that seem like a shot at you personally. just the haters. say what you want about him but the dude just wants to win.

twolvesfan
02-17-2009, 03:58 PM
wow, thunder got a steal, amazing

chandler/westbrook/durant/green

and a sh*t loads of picks ahead of them.

watch out for the grizzles and thunder
....and the wolves:rockon:

we have the potential to have 4 1st round picks this year although its unlikely we get all 4

Valliant13
02-17-2009, 03:59 PM

Cuban is an an obnoxious douche that constantly makes himself into the center of attention: but he is a top 3 owner in terms of the resources he puts forth to make his team sucessful.

crounsa810
Wow. I really want the economy to get better. This is really sad. I see the NBA completely falling apart if the economy gets any worse. Teams sacrificing talent for money never ends well. Stupid trade, but if they had to make it, that's just sad. I feel bad for the Hornets fans now. Hate to see trades like these. This could potentially be a very depressing trade deadline.

Also, i just read that the Wizards may be interested in dealing their first round pick this year to save money. This is really bad.

konex
What a horric trade for the Hornets. Are they trying to reduce CP3's assist stats? And their defense will suffer too. Unless they are getting another quality big man somehow, this is idiotic IMO..

spursdynasty420
02-17-2009, 04:02 PM
wow as a spurs fan I must say this is a good thing. lol not for the hornets though. i bet cp3 is FUMING right now

Buffalobraves
02-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Great trade for the Thunder if it goes through.

I thought we would at least have to give up one of our draft picks to make this go through but we get to keep all 3 :D

konex
02-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Wait, Wilcox is in the deal too? ESPN NBA page didn't I take that back, then. I actually think it's a good trade for NO if he's healthy.

I thought it was just Chandler and Smith :roll:

WhySoInsecure?
02-17-2009, 04:14 PM
It's 2009, this team is not what it used to be and moving chandler is a reasonable move. The guy is useless on offense unless you lob it to him and wilcox can step in and do just that.
they'll miss him on defense but they won't get much worse. they weren't contenders before this deal and that didn't change.

I don't understand why thunder took on his contract.

if teams keep handing out players like this then the knicks need to get in on it.

DCMC
02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
:banghead:

DLeagueWannabe
02-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Some of the comments in this thread make me lol. Have any of you guys every lost 50 bucks before? If you have, I'm sure you were pissed, just like I was. Owners are people too, they want to save money just like us. The economy is terrible right now, we're not the only ones affected by it. I would trade Chandler's *ss too is a heartbeat if I knew it was going to save me some millions. Think about this way, most owners of pro sports franchises made their fortunes by make shrewd business moves in the first place, this is just another one. The Hornets knew they weren't winning the ring this year anyway....

GOBB
02-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Are they trying to reduce CP3's assist stats?.

If you think Paul's assists will be affected you simply dont watch much basketball outside of L.A.

CelticForce1349
02-17-2009, 04:18 PM
I am not a Hornets fan but I feel bad for the players and their fans right now. Any team that needs to start dumping players for financial reasons that were thought to be part of their "core" leaves me uncomfortable. I am sorry guys, this just sucks.

I also can't help but think of the many people I know that choose to remain blissfully ignorant of politics and how it impacts their lives.:no:

I know so many people who just pick a side between Democrats and Republicans like they are choosing a favorite sports team. They never look beyond the hyperbole and talking points to see what is really happening and what it means in the bigger picture. This is a pretty good example of how things catch up to everyone eventually.

WhySoInsecure?
02-17-2009, 04:20 PM
I know so many people who just pick a side between Democrats and Republicans like they are choosing a favorite sports team. They never look beyond the hyperbole and talking points to see what is really happening and what it means in the bigger picture. This is a pretty good example of how things catch up to everyone eventually.
so who exactly are you blaming for the global economic crisis?

andgar923
02-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Smh

What this league has become.

steve
02-17-2009, 04:23 PM
so who exactly are you blaming for the global economic crisis?
I think he's talking about being more aware of situations like this in general.

NOHCP3
02-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Not as bad as it appears Im going to miss Chandler but the fact of the matter is he didnt do anythign this year. We get more front court depth. But the worst part of this trade is that Hitlon Armstrong will be our starting 5. May Lord have mercy on our souls.

GOBB
Some of the comments in this thread make me lol. Have any of you guys every lost 50 bucks before? If you have, I'm sure you were pissed, just like I was. Owners are people too, they want to save money just like us. The economy is terrible right now, we're not the only ones affected by it. I would trade Chandler's *ss too is a heartbeat if I knew it was going to save me some millions. Think about this way, most owners of pro sports franchises made their fortunes by make shrewd business moves in the first place, this is just another one. The Hornets knew they weren't winning the ring this year anyway....

The economy doesnt impact sports teams the way it does us.

statman32
Not as bad as it appears Im going to miss Chandler but the fact of the matter is he didnt do anythign this year. We get more front court depth. But the worst part of this trade is that Hitlon Armstrong will be our starting 5. May Lord have mercy on our souls.
Why would Armstrong start with Wilcox now there?

GOBB
02-17-2009, 04:33 PM

Because Hilton will get the nod initially until Wilcox can prove he isnt a lame basketball player. He surely lost his job as a starter on a crap team. Why would he automatically get a starter job on a winner? Not saying there is no potential he couldnt start but just not right off the bat. He has alot to prove.

Maybe Chris Saint Paul can bring a new birth to his career. Did to Tyson.

twolvesfan
02-17-2009, 04:34 PM
what have the thunder become now?

NOHCP3
02-17-2009, 04:35 PM

Good point. But knowing B Scott he has his favorites and he really seems to like Hilton. And Sean Marks.

StroShow4
02-17-2009, 04:35 PM
a slightly less sh!tty team? chandler is an improvement over what they had, but i don't think this trade will cause any drastic improvements. chandler isn't all that good.

KeylessEntry
02-17-2009, 04:37 PM
I don't see any improvement really. Tyson is a solid defender and rebounder, but he will be providing literally zero offense now that CP3 is not feeding him ally-oops.

pp38
02-17-2009, 04:38 PM
A young team with a brighter future.

Westbrook/Durant/Green/Chandler + free agency money & 5 first rounders in the next 2 drafts

Interminator
I don't see any improvement really. Tyson is a solid defender and rebounder, but he will be providing literally zero offense now that CP3 is not feeding him ally-oops.
+1.

He wont compliment Blake Griffin well in the front court.

Valliant13
This is going to send the Hornets into a tailspin. Chris Paul already came out against it, I can well imagine the impact it will have on team morale. I have feeling the next few years are going to be ugly, and Paul will jump ship once his new deal expirers a few years down the road.

On the plus side the Thunder are looking great.

ZHAKIDD532
02-17-2009, 04:44 PM
+1.

He wont compliment Blake Griffin well in the front court.
Dude, Griffin isn't going to OKC...

I don't really see the reason for this deal other than money. That's all I can see...

GOBB
02-17-2009, 04:44 PM
This is going to send the Hornets into a tailspin. Chris Paul already came out against it, I can well imagine the impact it will have on team morale. I have feeling the next few years are going to be ugly, and Paul will jump ship once his new deal expirers a few years down the road.

Overreacting much? What did Tyson Chandler do this season? Feel free to brainstorm and come up with something. Yanno kinda what people used to do in high school, college when writing papers. In short bullshyt me. The value of Tyson in N.O is far overrated after this trade has gone down. Tyson will miss Chris Paul more than the Hornets will miss Tyson. I gurantee it.

On the plus side the Thunder are looking great.

Yes if we are into college basketball. They should be ranked #1. If we're talkin professional basketball? Then I'm going to ask you to piss in this cup. Random drug test my friend. Who is going to feed Tyson the ball on the Thunder? Thunder looks no different than teams who stock young talent and have some fans thinking :bowdown: only to have reality bite them in the ass. When the Thunder establish an identity. When they add established, proven players (be it starters and/or role players) mixing youth with vets then they would look great. For now? Enjoy them in the lottery for a few seasons until they do what I listed. Then they may get lucky and speed up the process. But I'm not taking that bet to Vegas.

Skywalker
02-17-2009, 04:47 PM
If Griffin is for real wouldn't that make OKC a sick team for future if they get him?

Interminator
02-17-2009, 04:48 PM
I think CP3 for some reason owes the city of New Orleans for supporting the Hornets just a few years ago even while some were still living in FEMA trailers.

Anyways you can't fault a guy for leaving if the team wont add the right pieces around him because they want to save money.

There hasnt been a NBA Champion in decades that wasnt up in the Luxury Tax range.

Interminator
02-17-2009, 04:49 PM

I don't really see the reason for this deal other than money. That's all I can see...
Where is Griffin going to go?

Thunderstruck
02-17-2009, 04:49 PM

Maybe he will and maybe he won't. It all depends on how the ping pong balls fall. Or if they can finagle trading their plethora of first round picks for him.

GOBB
02-17-2009, 04:50 PM
No one can predict the order of the draft or who goes 1-2-3. Cut the Blake talk.

SLY
02-17-2009, 04:50 PM
They will be just as bad

CP3 made Chandler the player he is or should i say was

Force
02-17-2009, 04:51 PM
a slightly less sh!tty team? chandler is an improvement over what they had, but i don't think this trade will cause any drastic improvements. chandler isn't all that good.

I am a Chandler fan because he is a local guy and I've followed him since his HS days. Yes CP3 was able to get Tyson some great looks, but let's not act like Tyson can't catch lobs from his new teammates or score in other ways if his coach needs him to do those kinds of things.

Valliant13
02-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Overreacting much? What did Tyson Chandler do this season? Feel free to brainstorm and come up with something. Yanno kinda what people used to do in high school, college when writing papers. In short bullshyt me. The value of Tyson in N.O is far overrated after this trade has gone down. Tyson will miss Chris Paul more than the Hornets will miss Tyson. I gurantee it.

Yes if we are into college basketball. They should be ranked #1. If we're talkin professional basketball? Then I'm going to ask you to piss in this cup. Random drug test my friend. Who is going to feed Tyson the ball on the Thunder? Thunder looks no different than teams who stock young talent and have some fans thinking :bowdown: only to have reality bite them in the ass. When the Thunder establish an identity. When they add established, proven players (be it starters and/or role players) mixing youth with vets then they would look great. For now? Enjoy them in the lottery for a few seasons until they do what I listed. Then they may get lucky and speed up the process. But I'm not taking that bet to Vegas.

The impact of Tyson's departure will be much an emotional one, as much as it is an on court one. The fact that the team traded a core player (who was admittedly having a down year, but clearly important to the team) for a scrub and expiring contract is sending a huge message to the players that the ownership has no comittment to winning.

Do think you Paul is confident that Shin would pull the trigger on a deal to improve the team if he had to take a financial hit? Don't underestimate the impact that kind of situation (see: Clippers) can have on a team.

As for the on court matter: Wilcox is a 6'9 scrub that can't follow a play, and sells out constantly on defense. Chandler was extremely limited, but he was big, could block shots, rebound, and did what he was told to the best of his ability. Being a team first guy with great attitude is no small benefit.

As for the Thunder: I was speaking of their long term prospects. Obviously the team needs a playmaking SG (Hardin would be perfect) to run the offensive and let Westbrook play off ball, and a ton of expirence for the players to mature, before they even think of contending.

Thunderstruck
02-17-2009, 04:59 PM
He's in OKC for his defense and rebounding. He'll leave the scoring to Durant, Green and Westbrook.

Buffalobraves
02-17-2009, 05:01 PM
He's in OKC for his defense and rebounding. He'll leave the scoring to Durant, Green and Westbrook.
What he said. He is a much better defender then Wilcox and the offense is just a bonus. He will fit well into the Thunder's style of play because it is a similar gun and run team like the Hornets were.

v-unit
02-17-2009, 05:04 PM
They will be just as bad

CP3 made Chandler the player he is or should i say was

How can you say that? What did CP3 give to Tyson? He got him 12 points a game. Did Chris Paul give him rebounds/blocks? No, and that's all Tyson is known for besides being atheletic.

I can still see him averaging 10 rebounds/1-2 blocks in OKC, and something like 4 points lol.

spursdynasty420
02-17-2009, 05:20 PM

i dunno maybe some guy named kevin durant?

Rockets(T-mac)
02-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Hornets lose some defense and rebounding. Hornets get a bit worse I think. Thunder get a nice center, that can trigger fast breaks with his blocking, which they seem to be good at.

spursdynasty420
02-17-2009, 05:22 PM
thunder are getting better and better throughout the season. great trade for them

starface
02-17-2009, 05:26 PM
the move probably makes them a tiny bit better. they werent gonna be contenders before Chandler's contract is up in 3 years anyway, so why not make a move to make yourself a tiny bit better just for the fans' sake, rather than stay the same. Guess it cant hurt, right?

rufuspaul
02-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Typical George Shin. It was only a matter of time before he started destroying the team.

Smokee
02-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Thunder are going to sneak up on everyone. They'll be good much sooner than people think. They already are good, just not smart like veterans when the game gets tight, but they are getting there. They already have a very competitive roster now, adding 5 first round picks in 2 years is just icing.

OKC has the best home crowd in the league. They deserve a good team through the thin they've cheered this team through this season :cheers:

D-Rose
02-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Great trade for OKC.

Imagine this:

Westbrook
Green
Durant
Blake Griffin
Chandler

~LA's fine$t~
02-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Chandler is overrated, always has been and always will be. He has never really progressed as a basketball player. He got a lot of rebounds on a team that lacks size and got most of his points off CP lobs. He is a product of Chris Paul.

Wilcox & J.Smith are no worse then Chandler, IMO.

Brunch@Five
02-17-2009, 05:53 PM
The Hornets may not make the playoffs without Chandler. Phoenix is bound to improve, and NO wasn't better than the rest anyways. Bad trade IMO if they don't make the playoffs.

wang4three
02-17-2009, 06:03 PM
It's funny cause if you made Nenad and Tyson one player, it'd be a really ****ing good player. Otherwise it's two average bigmen on one team.

LA_Showtime
02-17-2009, 06:05 PM
The Thunder are quietly becoming one of the better up and coming teams in the league. Props to Presti.

Anyone else interested to hear what CP3 has to say about the trade? I'm betting he's pissed.

Smokee
02-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Chandler is overrated, always has been and always will be. He has never really progressed as a basketball player. He got a lot of rebounds on a team that lacks size and got most of his points off CP lobs. He is a product of Chris Paul.

I see it as reversed. Joe Smith sucked with the Thunder, and Wilcox had his moments but never was consistent enough. They don't need Chandler to score much since they already have scorers, they just need him to be aggressive and get the defensive boards and some offensive ones with hustle and make shots harder for the other team. Thats all i really expect from him personally.

I think he was a great pickup for them since they didn't need a scoring big man, more than someone who plays big with hustle and heart.

yobore
02-17-2009, 06:08 PM
First glance it looks dumb but Chandler has been scrubby this season. Obviously it's mainly money-driven, but it is not so terrible basketball-wise for the Hornets either. He's so scared of fouling he doesn't challenge guards anymore. I am not going to bash this trade until I see how Wilcox does with Paul. Until that week Paul was out and the Hornets were getting walked on defensively, Chandler's on/off defense was actually negative. I remember a couple years ago when people thought Wilcox was breaking out, everyone considered Wilcox better than Chandler.

1~Gibson~1
02-17-2009, 06:11 PM
good trad 4 both teamz

1~Gibson~1
02-17-2009, 06:12 PM
a younger team

westbrook
durant
green
griffin???
chandler

yobore
02-17-2009, 06:14 PM
People are overrating Chandler. He's decent defender not great.

baseketball4life
02-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Westbrook/???/ Durant/ Jeff Green/ Tyson Chandler seems like a nice thing to build around. Maybe they take a nice young SG in the next draft and build on those 5 guys.

Biddy77
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
fantastic move for the Thunder. frankly, i'm very impressed.

they free up roster spots, unload 3 guys who weren't doing anything for them, and bring in a C who'll shore up defense and rebounding for them. even if you don't look beyond the players exchanged, it makes sense for OKC.

other side effects...

Collisson goes to the bench. he was an alright starter, but he'll be a very good back up player. with Nick and Nenad sliding back a slot each in the rotation, the Thunder now have a strong C rotation, and lots of depth there.

those free roster spots also allow them the flexibility of possibly *keeping* some of the 5 first round picks (over the next 2 years) that they otherwise may have moved. options/flexibility are a great thing when the draft is so uncertain. it also provides them with some leverage via draft-and-trade moves, and opens up the possibility of another trade (just throwing out a wild example--a move to exchange Green for a PF, which may require other players to make the math work. don't be mad, i love Green's game. i'm just sayin'...).

options... flexibility... youth... the Thunder have a bright future ahead of them if they keep making shrewd moves like this. they are paving the way for some bigger moves in the next 2 years. this shows a lot of foresight.

also... what if Chandler opts out before his final year? *whistle* lots of money freeing up...

OKC definitely did a great job with this one.

LBJames2010
02-17-2009, 06:39 PM
A young team with a brighter future.

Westbrook/Durant/Green/Chandler + free agency money & 5 first rounders in the next 2 drafts

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

kwajo
02-17-2009, 06:40 PM
what does the chandler trade make the thunder?

The word 'irrelevant' comes to mind

2LeTTeRS
02-17-2009, 06:44 PM

So why was he getting rebounds and blocking shots in Chicago? Nobody is saying he'll be an offensive force, but he can give you 8-10 points a game while threat, while boosting a defense that was not very good.

YAH trick YAH
02-17-2009, 06:49 PM
If Chandler is a product of CP3 lobs, then are CPs assist numbers inflated because of Chandler?

steve
02-17-2009, 06:54 PM
So why was he getting rebounds and blocking shots in Chicago? Nobody is saying he'll be an offensive force, but he can give you 8-10 points a game while threat, while boosting a defense that was not very good.
Can he? His history doesn't exactly back this up. He's never been able to score all that much (ever), he rebounds but up until he came to the Hornets he always had trouble staying on the court (whether it be fouls or offensive irrelevance). And despite his reputation as a shot blocker, he doesn't really have the numbers to back this up. In fact Chandler has had issues with his attitude from day one to the point where it's easy to take him out of a game (this season being primary example of that).

If Chandler is a product of CP3 lobs, then are CPs assist numbers inflated because of Chandler?
Except Paul's assist numbers haven't really changed all that much with Chandler out of the line up (meaning that he'll find other ways to get players involved). And this season teams have defending the lob passes a lot better that they were last season, so a lot of Chandler's points haven't been coming from there (which is the main reason why his scoring is down by about 3 points a game).

Smokee
02-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah Chandler played well in Chicago when he wasn't hurt. But he even did better early on in NO i thought. I don't watch NO at all, but i could've sworn he was getting a lot of credit for their turnaround and averaging pretty monster double double numbers for a while. Maybe he fell off, but the Chandler i watched on national tv sometimes looked pretty beast.

yobore
02-17-2009, 06:56 PM
So why was he getting rebounds and blocking shots in Chicago Be honest, did people consider him a good player his last couple years in Chicago?

jaydacris
02-17-2009, 06:56 PM
tyson chander of the oklahoma thundler

2LeTTeRS
02-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Be honest, did people consider him a good player his last couple years in Chicago?

He was among the main reasons the Bulls made the playoffs, especially after Curry had heart issues. He was the only big on that team that played defense and helped give that team its identity. Since he left Chicago the team hasn't been the same.

Maniak
02-17-2009, 07:33 PM
I wonder how Ty will do without CP3....

GOBB
02-17-2009, 07:40 PM
i dunno maybe some guy named kevin durant?

I stopped at dunno which is short for DO NOT KNOW. Because its clear you dont.

Thanks.

stephanieg
02-17-2009, 08:17 PM
CP3 fell to his knees, looked up into the sky, and screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

When can he leave for another team?

JordanL
02-17-2009, 08:21 PM
CP3 fell to his knees, looked up into the sky, and screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

When can he leave for another team?

As soon as he demands a trade... he'll wait till the offseason if that's what he wants.

bleedinpurpleTwo
02-17-2009, 08:32 PM
well, on the brighter side, the Lakers and Spurs (and everyone else who thinks they have a shot) don't have to worry about the Hornets anymore.

Showtime
02-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Hornets are a joke franchise. They would be nowhere without Paul, and now they traded TC for two expiring contracts and a pick. They got NOTHING in return that would help their franchise win in the near future, and weakened their already extremely thin front line. They were already weak in that department with everybody healthy, and now they just kissed a deep playoff run goodbye in order to save money. Paul: GTFO ASAP!

mswank
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
the hornets won't be that much worse really. oklahoma won't be much better. im kind of on board on this for the hornets, they save cash and theyre not losing a superstar. oklahoma is taking a big salary from a completely overrated dude that had a good year or two because of chris paul. sam presti seems like a smart gm, i'm sure he has a plan...but chandler isnt the same sort of player without cp3.

AznTacoLover
02-17-2009, 10:14 PM
wow... doing this too save money..:rant

w00terz
02-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Chris Paul needs to leave the Hornets this offseason. That's a huge slap in the face. As a franchise player, you want your front office to work to build a team capable of winning a championship around you, not trade players to save a buck.

snipes12
02-17-2009, 11:20 PM
chase boozer for green collison and mason

watson
westbrook
durant
boozer
chandler

sick .......

El Seano
02-17-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm never one to count the Hornets out, the fact of the matter is that's how good Chris Paul is (Laker fan btw, so this isnt a homer vote for CP3).

I'm not saying that this move did them any good, I'm saying I'm reserving judgement for a week or two to see what happens, I'll never count out a team with Chris Paul running it ever. If you put a gun to my head and made me make a prediction now? Hornets might as well book their summer vacation for the 2nd round of the playoffs because I can't see them making it past the first round unless West, Peja and Paul play out of their MINDS for a series. Though to be honest and hoping not to look smug, this team was never going to be coming out of the west this year. This team would've been very fortunate to be in the Western Conference Finals this year. A shame considering last years form.

NOHCP3
02-17-2009, 11:32 PM
I would like all of these people who are over reacting to this trade tell me what Tyson has done this season? He was out for almost 20 games with a sprained ankle. Im not saying that we got better but the bottom has not dropped out on this team. And those who are coming with all of these "When is CP going to demand to get traded GTFO, the guys dedicated to the team and the city . We will add more pieces around him.

Showtime
02-18-2009, 12:34 AM
I would like all of these people who are over reacting to this trade tell me what Tyson has done this season? He was out for almost 20 games with a sprained ankle. Im not saying that we got better but the bottom has not dropped out on this team. And those who are coming with all of these "When is CP going to demand to get traded GTFO, the guys dedicated to the team and the city . We will add more pieces around him.
To answer your question: it doesn't matter what TC has done so far this year. It was all about the playoffs. NOLA was trying the "win now" approach by adding Posey. Despite TC's issues, and the incredibly thin bench, at least he provided decent defense against the West's centers. His play on Duncan and Yao would have been key if they matched up in the playoffs. Again, while adding two average/solid PF's to the team gives them depth, neither Wilcox nor Smith are legit centers who can handle the west bigs in the playoffs.

I don't have an issue moving TC with the way he's played. What I do have an issue with is the sudden abandonment of the plan which results in no hopes for the playoffs and no sign of improvement in winning a ring. Not only that, but they still have a huge hole at center.

Zan Tabak
02-18-2009, 12:39 AM
Hornets are a joke franchise. They would be nowhere without Paul, and now they traded TC for two expiring contracts and a pick. They got NOTHING in return that would help their franchise win in the near future, and weakened their already extremely thin front line. They were already weak in that department with everybody healthy, and now they just kissed a deep playoff run goodbye in order to save money. Paul: GTFO ASAP!
Yes, come to Toronto!:D

Babalu
02-18-2009, 01:00 AM
owners know that their has to be some kind of freakish christmas miracle happen in order for any team other then lakers/boston/cavs to win the championship this season. This included with the horrible economy and declining ticket/merchandise sales makes owners want to drop the big loads off in order to not pay the pennies.

Don't blame them, blame the lakers/celtics/cavs being so good this season.

NOHCP3
02-18-2009, 01:06 AM
To answer your question: it doesn't matter what TC has done so far this year. It was all about the playoffs. NOLA was trying the "win now" approach by adding Posey. Despite TC's issues, and the incredibly thin bench, at least he provided decent defense against the West's centers. His play on Duncan and Yao would have been key if they matched up in the playoffs. Again, while adding two average/solid PF's to the team gives them depth, neither Wilcox nor Smith are legit centers who can handle the west bigs in the playoffs.

I don't have an issue moving TC with the way he's played. What I do have an issue with is the sudden abandonment of the plan which results in no hopes for the playoffs and no sign of improvement in winning a ring. Not only that, but they still have a huge hole at center.

Its a lateral move no doubt about it. But the notion that its going to make CP3 leave town is laughable. His defense will be missed. But his D this season was really poor. He was either in foul trouble or doing everything he could to avoid it. The Posey move has not worked out well as of yet. The Hornets have to overpay FA'S to come here. Peja, Posey.

Yes there's no real 5 on the team. BIG problem. I dont like the move. But at the end of the day with almost 20 missed games from Chandler were only 3 and a half games back in the division. Im praying that we can move Mo Petes contract but I doubt it.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
02-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Russell Westbrook
Kevin Durant
Jeff Green
Blake Griffin
Tyson Chandler

Pipe dream for OKC fans but damn it MIGHT come true

Showtime
02-18-2009, 01:36 AM
But the notion that its going to make CP3 leave town is laughable.

I didn't say it would make Paul leave. I said I hope he leaves that team now that they have gone this direction. I would like him to play where he doesn't have to carry a D-League team on his back every year and waste his prime.

His defense will be missed. But his D this season was really poor. He was either in foul trouble or doing everything he could to avoid it.

Once again: I don't care what he did during the season, because that wasn't the issue. I don't like missing him because of what he could bring against specific teams with specific players in the playoffs that Wilcox and Smith clearly won't/can't.

The Posey move has not worked out well as of yet. The Hornets have to overpay FA'S to come here. Peja, Posey.

The Posey move was clearly for the playoffs, where a player like him shows his true worth. I don't think he was brought in to make a huge impact in the first half of the year. I would have liked them to at least give it one more try before switching up what they were trying to do. Think about it: the very first playoff appearance for Paul, and they get within a game of the WCF. Doesn't that deserve one more year before doing this deal?

Yes there's no real 5 on the team. BIG problem. I dont like the move. But at the end of the day with almost 20 missed games from Chandler were only 3 and a half games back in the division. Im praying that we can move Mo Petes contract but I doubt it.
Again, my issue wasn't trading TC, but the end result of a deal that included him. It was a total abandonment of their direction. That's what bothers me. They went from trying to win the next year or two to trying to rebuild on-the-fly.

dhenk
02-18-2009, 05:27 AM
Russell Westbrook
Kevin Durant
Jeff Green
Blake Griffin
Tyson Chandler

Durant back at SG would suck. I think the Thunder will pick a SG, and try to play Green at PF or simply trade him.

the.powerhouse
02-18-2009, 10:28 AM
The Thunder do realise that Chris Paul isn

Buffalobraves
02-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Durant back at SG would suck. I think the Thunder will pick a SG, and try to play Green at PF or simply trade him.
I don't think we would trade Green just yet. He does need to put on a few pounds to be a legit PF though.

[QUOTE=the.powerhouse]The Thunder do realise that Chris Paul isn

NuggetsFan
02-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Russell Westbrook
Kevin Durant
Jeff Green
Blake Griffin
Tyson Chandler

I always see people putting Durant at SG...Does he not play alot better at the SF position?.

It seems to me I'd make more sense if the OKC could get Griffin to trade Green away for some kind of SG prospect or a legit SG.

Westbrook
Prospect SG\Legit SG
Durant
Griffin
Chandler

That's just my take tho.

Buffalobraves
02-18-2009, 12:57 PM
I always see people putting Durant at SG...Does he not play alot better at the SF position?.

It seems to me I'd make more sense if the OKC could get Griffin to trade Green away for some kind of SG prospect or a legit SG.

Westbrook
Prospect SG\Legit SG
Durant
Griffin
Chandler

That's just my take tho.
Yeah his numbers are a lot better at SF. I don't think they need to trade Green, he is playing very well. He was in the shadow of Durants 47 with 24 points and 7 rebounds. The Thunder already have a good prospect in Weaver at SG but I think they will draft Harden too, that seems like a solid SG rotation to me.

NuggetsFan
02-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Yeah his numbers are a lot better at SF. I don't think they need to trade Green, he is playing very well. He was in the shadow of Durants 47 with 24 points and 7 rebounds. The Thunder already have a good prospect in Weaver at SG but I think they will draft Harden too, that seems like a solid SG rotation to me.

That makes more sense I guess. The chances of OKC actually landing Griffin are slim but if they actually did I don't see why they wouldn't move Green for a legit SG or maybe just have him come off the bench as the 6th man.

Buffalobraves
02-18-2009, 01:01 PM
That makes more sense I guess. The chances of OKC actually landing Griffin are slim but if they actually did I don't see why they wouldn't move Green for a legit SG or maybe just have him come off the bench as the 6th man.
Yeah thats what I hope happens. If we get Griffin I think we can make the playoffs for sure, even if we don't we still have a chance.

the.powerhouse
02-18-2009, 02:30 PM

Agreed, Green has a lot of talent, and could turn into a solid player one day. Might even make a few allstar selections if he works hard and the Thunder become playoff regulars!

JohnRuck
02-18-2009, 06:02 PM
the hornets won't be that much worse really. oklahoma won't be much better. im kind of on board on this for the hornets, they save cash and theyre not losing a superstar. oklahoma is taking a big salary from a completely overrated dude that had a good year or two because of chris paul. sam presti seems like a smart gm, i'm sure he has a plan...but chandler isnt the same sort of player without cp3.

well said sir, well said.
people are freaking out for no reason.

Y2Gezee
02-19-2009, 12:18 AM
LOL, I bet Tyson dogged the physical to cancel the trade

dyna
02-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Breaking News: Thunder Rescind Chandler Trade

Feb 18, 2009 10:53 PM EST
The Hornets and Thunder agreed to a trade that sent Tyson Chandler to Oklahoma City in exchange for Joe Smith, Chris Wilcox and DeVon Hardin.

One day later, the four players will be going back to their original teams.

Thunder Executive Vice President and General Manager Sam Presti announced in a press release on Wednesday evening that the team has rescinded its trade with the Hornets for Chandler.

baseketball4life
02-19-2009, 12:48 AM
LOL, I bet Tyson dogged the physical to cancel the trade
lol!

or all of his foot/ankle issues.

JohnnySic
02-19-2009, 08:02 AM
Awesome news! Now the Thunder can buy out Smith, and he can sign with the Celtics! :cheers:

pp38
02-19-2009, 08:14 AM
This is bad for the Hornets: it makes them even more vulnerable.

They were shipping off Tyson for expirings but now it looks like they will have to add picks/prospects to Tyson to get him moved.

insidehoops
02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
The trade was revoked because Tyson Chandler failed his physical, and the Thunder decided to void the deal.

Discuss it here:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121289