PDA

View Full Version : Blake Griffin

JtotheIzzo
02-21-2009, 02:44 AM
do we call him black or white?

(no race-o)

and yes it does matter, because right now we have no real candidate for the best white American player and he might be it in a couple of years. Is he eligible?

nbastatus
02-21-2009, 02:46 AM

(no race-o)

and yes it does matter, because right now we have no real candidate for the best white American player and he might be it in a couple of years. Is he eligible?
my friends called him a nig-cracker :wtf:

BrentISballin
02-21-2009, 02:48 AM
He kinda looks like a black albino

Valliant13
02-21-2009, 03:10 AM
What difference does it make what race an American player is? I can understand some nationalistic pride, but you guys are bizarrely obsessed with White and Black: it's depressing.

Does it really detract from your enjoyment of his play if he is one or the other?

iggy>
02-21-2009, 03:28 AM
my friends called him a nig-cracker :wtf:
crigger

bdreason
02-21-2009, 04:59 AM
My black friend used to call me a reverse-racist because I would always hate on white players (I'm white). :roll:

I didn't do it on purpose, there are just a lot of scrubby white dudes in the league that are easy to tag on.

Anyway, the league could definately use a "white" American Superstar. The majority of NBA fans are white I'm sure, so it's good for the league in that they can possibly draw in more fans.

I think International players are doing wonders for the NBA as well. You have whole countries supporting their players in the NBA, and I'm sure it's bringing in tons of revenue.

smush=mvp!
02-21-2009, 05:04 AM
who cares? he got game

InspiredLebowski
02-21-2009, 05:06 AM
It isn't that there aren't great American white ballers, look at the college game. The NBA is just a different animal, like it or not, it's an athleticism driven league and we whiteys don't possess it. Consider the ratio (which I have no idea what it is) of guys who are given shots because they're freak athletes but aren't really basketball players, just athletes, compared to fundamental players who don't possess near the same athletic prowess. Dunks and highlights sell, curling off double screens doesn't.

Can of worms opened.

beau_boy04
02-21-2009, 06:12 AM
Blake Griffin is mixed!

His mother is white and his dad is black. Haven't you guys seem his parents? they are there cheering him up during the games.

InspiredLebowski
02-21-2009, 06:14 AM
Blake Griffin is mixed!

His mother is white and his dad is black. Haven't you guys seem his parents? they are there cheering him up during the games.

Miss pretty much every post in the thread?

pillage
02-21-2009, 10:30 AM

(no race-o)

He's mixed, So no chance for him being the best White American Baller. Funny thing is, he could be considered to be the best black baller, if he'd become that good.

What's up by the way, Jizzo?

[loot]

2LeTTeRS
02-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Is Brook Lopez considered white?

pillage
02-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Brook is mixed too, thus 'would be considered black before he'd be considered white.

wang4three
02-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Brook is mixed too, thus 'would be considered black before he'd be considered white.

You mean Latino.

pillage
02-21-2009, 10:39 AM
You mean Latino.

No, I meant black. To the general white public, anybody who's not white is considered black. Indian people, most latino's.

Real Men Wear Green
02-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Kidd, Hill, Bibby...same deal. It should depend he wants to be identified. If you go by the "one drop" rule we've had for some bad reasons, he's "black," though.

wang4three
02-21-2009, 10:41 AM
No, I meant black. To the general white public, anybody who's not white is considered black. Indian people, most latino's.

Any sort of qualifier for this statement or are you just generalizing and assuming?

pillage
02-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Any sort of qualifier for this statement or are you just generalizing and assuming?

How does history sound as a 'sort of quilifier'?

lilmarcgasol
02-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Is Brook Lopez considered white?
he like obama, he unite the races

ZHAKIDD532
02-21-2009, 11:05 AM
So you're saying I consider Pau Gasol a black guy?

pillage
02-21-2009, 11:07 AM
So you're saying I consider Pau Gasol a black guy?

You're bringing Gasol up because he's Spanish? I assume you know the difference between the terms Hispanic, Spanish, Latin etc, and especially the use of them throughout history?

wang4three
02-21-2009, 11:07 AM
So you feel a need to perpetuate an archaic mentality that is probably outdated in its own right? Most people, including whites, have acknowledged the place of hispanic and latino people. In short, the only people who harbor that type of thought process are people like yourself.

BFRESH44
02-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Blake Griffin is a BROTHA.

Period.

twolvesfan
02-21-2009, 11:12 AM
how is this even up for debate? his father is black and his mother is white. he is half black

pillage
02-21-2009, 11:13 AM
So you feel a need to perpetuate an archaic mentality that is probably outdated in its own right? Most people, including whites, have acknowledged the place of hispanic and latino people. In short, the only people who harbor that type of thought process are people like yourself.

Most people still have a way of thinking some kids in 1950 would be ashamed of. I'm not accusing you or anybody on this forum of anything. I'm just telling it like it is. There's a majority of white people out there who consider anybody who's not white black. Better yet, a ******.

BFRESH44
02-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Kidd, Hill, Bibby...same deal. It should depend he wants to be identified. If you go by the "one drop" rule we've had for some bad reasons, he's "black," though.

All three of them identify themselves as african Americans. Bibby isn't even half white. More like a 3rd if anything. Henry Bibby (pops) is just a really high yellow tone brotha, and his mom is from the islands.

wang4three
02-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Most people still have a way of thinking some kids in 1950 would be ashamed of. I'm not accusing you or anybody on this forum of anything. I'm just telling it like it is. There's a majority of white people out there who consider anybody who's not white black. Better yet, a ******.

While, I cannot speak for white people--as I am not one, I cannot exactly discredit you from believing that. All I can offer is that certainly times have changed and I like to believe in the advancement of racial distinctions to depart from its retro past.

twolvesfan
02-21-2009, 11:18 AM
LOL at you. i have never once heard a latino been referred to as black in my life:oldlol: . idk about where you live but when i went through middle and high school everybody was either mexican/latino asian black or white

pillage
02-21-2009, 11:22 AM
LOL at you. i have never once heard a latino been referred to as black in my life:oldlol: . idk about where you live but when i went through middle and high school everybody was either mexican/latino asian black or white
Take a favela in Brazil, bring those people to Europe or the USA and watch people desperately try to figure out which person belongs in which category.

**** it, matter of fact, the whole preoccupation in large parts of the world (in Russia, the USA and many other countries you'll still have to fill in the answer to 'ethnicity' on a ****load of forms) just goes to show you how 'important' it is to most people and you'll be either white, black (or yellow or red) to the majority.

twolvesfan
02-21-2009, 11:53 AM
seeing as the White man introduced the one drop rule, We black people proudly claim blake griffin..IF you see how dark his dad is, he's got more than one drop.
proof?

not sure if this is a joke or not but blake is 50% black no matter how dark his dad is

Mateo
02-21-2009, 12:01 PM
What difference does it make what race an American player is? I can understand some nationalistic pride, but you guys are bizarrely obsessed with White and Black: it's depressing.

because black people are better at NBA basketball, so it matters in terms of projecting his future career.

JtotheIzzo
02-21-2009, 12:01 PM
LOL at you. i have never once heard a latino been referred to as black in my life:oldlol:

http://baseball.dailyskew.com/uploaded_images/Pedro-Martinez-700138.jpg

http://obscuresportsquarterly.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/davidortiz.jpg

2LeTTeRS
02-21-2009, 12:05 PM

Maybe you mean fair skinned latino person. Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and people from Brazil are labeled as black all the time.

twolvesfan
02-21-2009, 12:12 PM
http://baseball.dailyskew.com/uploaded_images/Pedro-Martinez-700138.jpg

http://obscuresportsquarterly.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/davidortiz.jpg
once you hear them speak though its obvious

Posterize246
02-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Maybe you mean fair skinned latino person. Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and people from Brazil are labeled as black all the time.
I've heard Dominicans and Brazilians labeled that, but I grew up with plenty of Puerto Ricans (it's also the only race I've dated) and I've never once heard someone refer to them as black:confusedshrug:

JtotheIzzo
02-21-2009, 12:18 PM
once you hear them speak though its obvious

dude, there are blacks in every western country and they all have different accents. expand your horizons a little.

twolvesfan
02-21-2009, 12:27 PM
dude, there are blacks in every western country and they all have different accents. expand your horizons a little.
ok which nation in africa produces a similar accent to the dominican republic?

JtotheIzzo
02-21-2009, 12:30 PM
ok which nation in africa produces a similar accent to the dominican republic?

are you a falkin retard?

which African nation produces a black: LA, NYC, Southern, Chicago, West Indian, Toronto etc...accent?

twolvesfan
02-21-2009, 12:35 PM
are you a falkin retard?

which African nation produces a black: LA, NYC, Southern, Chicago, West Indian, Toronto etc...accent?
whatever man. i grew up speaking spanish since i was in kindergarden. i guess i can spot it easier then others. good day to you

mrhoopfan
02-21-2009, 12:49 PM
It isn't that there aren't great American white ballers, look at the college game. The NBA is just a different animal, like it or not, it's an athleticism driven league and we whiteys don't possess it. Consider the ratio (which I have no idea what it is) of guys who are given shots because they're freak athletes but aren't really basketball players, just athletes, compared to fundamental players who don't possess near the same athletic prowess. Dunks and highlights sell, curling off double screens doesn't.

Can of worms opened.

Its not dunks and highlights selling its guys with fundamentals and low athleticism have a hard time getting their shot off in the league....No different from Division I and Division III ball where in DIII there are many good, fundamental players but they usually aren't the tallest, fastest, quickest, strongest and at the dI level wouyld have a difficult time containinging faster players, rebounding with bigger players and again, getting their shots off

blasian
02-21-2009, 01:09 PM
"We the black delegation.....select.....Blake Griffin!!!!!! Bytch, we got 'em! Keep waiting for the next Larry Bird whitey!!!!"

omarnyc
02-21-2009, 01:21 PM
he's not the only mixed ball player, what about deron williams

blasian
02-21-2009, 01:32 PM
he's not the only mixed ball player, what about deron williams

and Jason Kidd, Mike Bibby, Grant Hill

pillage
02-21-2009, 02:02 PM
http://www.freefactory.net/forum/timetable/city-of-god.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TsoF6mQnBOY/SNgJyM0QbeI/AAAAAAAAAJA/S1kSW9zD8fY/s320/ZePequeno.jpg

look like a black guy, but wait till twolvesfan hears him speak. obviously latin then.

just goes to show you....

JtotheIzzo
02-21-2009, 02:33 PM
whatever man. i grew up speaking spanish since i was in kindergarden. i guess i can spot it easier then others. good day to you

that doesn't even make sense

raid09
02-21-2009, 03:23 PM

You're an idiot.

pillage
02-21-2009, 04:16 PM
You're an idiot.

Thanks for the feedback.

omarnyc
02-21-2009, 04:22 PM
and Jason Kidd, Mike Bibby, Grant Hill

i dont think grant is mixed, his mom is liteskin but im pretty sure she's black.also bibby's mom is jamaican and his dad i think is bi-racial.
jkidd, deron is half black/white. shane battier looks mixed, what about delonte west?

GOBB
02-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Well twolves isnt offbase because in society thats kind of how its determined. Big Papi would be considered black if you didnt know he was a professional baseball player. Altho some things suggests he isnt black. Something as small as style of dress could have you say "He's not black, must be from the Islands". When you talk to Big Papi the notion he is black is thrown out the window. He no longer is classified based on skincolor like Allen Iverson would be. He is classified by his accent.

Big Papi would not be asked if he were black or considered himself black. He would be asked where he was from because its not from here. Some can determine/know thru personal encounters that he is Dominican and ask right off the bat "You Dominican?". Same with Pedro.

If Big Papi were to rob the person asking where he was from? That person wouldnt give a description "tall black male. thick" moreso "Husky Dominican". If Pedro robbed the person asking where he was from the police desciption would be "foreigner, overseas some where.".

Physical appearance without having heard Big Papi you could say he was black if he robbed you without saying one word/speaking. But soon as he speaks you dont tell the cop the guy who robbed you was black. Sounds silly to you but that is how people determine who is who especially in the urban community when you live amongst folks with different backgrounds.

Mixed people are generally considered black from 21 jump street.

twolves thinking isnt abnormal at all.

And Blake Griffin would never be considered white. White people can have the Lopez pansies.

I'll throw you for another loop/offtopic...

Rex Chapman = black
Karl Malone = white

stephanieg
02-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Can of worms opened.

There are lots of good white players...just not from America. Friggin' Canada pumps out better white players than we do! Or little European countries.

GOBB
02-21-2009, 04:25 PM

You couldnt be further away from the truth than Roger Clemens saying he didnt use any illegal PED.

wang4three
02-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Partially off-topic but anyone else psyched for this Texas - OU game tonight? Dexter Pittman sure is:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01cr6367Pa4zN/610x.jpg

I swear he eats a cheeseburger before he checks in every game. This is also an instance where those new tight fit basketball jerseys does not work.

pp38
02-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Race is socially constructed but by using that social construction 'one drop rule' Blake Griffin (and everyone else who is mixed) is black.

GOBB
02-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Race is socially constructed but by using that social construction 'one drop rule' Blake Griffin (and everyone else who is mixed) is black.

Everyone who is mixed is not black. And the one drop rule isnt consistent.

People consider Tiger woods black. But they do not consider Rosario Dawson or Mariah Carey black.

blasian
02-21-2009, 04:56 PM
There are few people who are 100% black nowadays anyway. Seems like everyone's mixed with a little bit of something, whether it be Asian, hispanic, white, Native American, etc.

steve
02-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Blake Griffin is good.

pp38
02-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Everyone who is mixed is not black. And the one drop rule isnt consistent.

People consider Tiger woods black. But they do not consider Rosario Dawson or Mariah Carey black.

I dont know of anyone that does not consider Rosario Dawson or Mariah black.

Lebowsky
02-21-2009, 06:23 PM

That's gotta be the stupidest post I've read in a long time.

martinas23
02-21-2009, 08:00 PM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/BLAKEGRIFFIN7_11150.JPG

http://hellinthehall.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/griffinou.jpg

http://rushthecourt.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/blake-griffin-ridiculous-1.jpg

http://misterirrelevant.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/blake-griffin-and-some-girls.jpg

He kinda looks white :confusedshrug:

twolvesfan
02-21-2009, 09:00 PM
that doesn't even make sense
listen buddy accents can be placed geographically whether you like it or not