PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous numbers I heard about the WNBA (salaries)

haterofhaters
02-27-2009, 03:16 AM
The overall highest amount for this current year that a WNBA player can make is 97,500/year.

The salary cap for 2008/09 is 800, 000. Yes, let that sink in. That's how much a TEAM has to spend on a full roster.

Someone did the calculation out, and since there are 13 WNBA teams and the cap is at 803,000, if every team was maxed out, the entire league's salaries combined would be a little over 10 million/year. Stephon Marbury for comparison's sake makes twice the amount of every WNBA player combined for an entire season. WOW... If I ever have a daughter, i'm gonna encourage her to stay in school.

BankShot
02-27-2009, 03:19 AM
The overall highest amount for this current year that a WNBA player can make is 97,500/year.

The salary cap for 2008/09 is 800, 000. Yes, let that sink in. That's how much a TEAM has to spend on a full roster.

Someone did the calculation out, and since there are 13 WNBA teams and the cap is at 803,000, if every team was maxed out, the entire league's salaries combined would be a little over 10 million/year. Stephon Marbury for comparison's sake makes twice the amount of every WNBA player combined for an entire season. WOW... If I ever have a daughter, i'm gonna encourage her to stay in school.

Before you learned this you wouldn't have encouraged her to stay in school?? Instead encouraged her to not study and defy the odds and become a professional basketball player??

TheGame
02-27-2009, 03:20 AM
I didn't find that shocking at all. :oldlol:

sonicman
02-27-2009, 03:23 AM
I find it shocking they are making that much... who watches the WNBA?

haterofhaters
02-27-2009, 03:25 AM
Before you learned this you wouldn't have encouraged her to stay in school?? Instead encouraged her to not study and defy the odds and become a professional basketball player??
No, but are you comprehending that they are making peanuts as pro-athletes? If the best of the best makes 97 grand, the #1 draft pick makes 44 grand, imagine what the scrubs make. :oldlol:

Foster5k
02-27-2009, 03:25 AM
If I ever have a daughter, i'm gonna encourage her to stay in school.

In today's economy, that is not surprising. I don't even think the WNBA will be around, in 10-12 years, from now. The sport is just not played at a high level, for people to care, to watch, or to spend their hard earn money on merchandise.

Also, I doubt many of these WNBA players actually went pro, to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars. I think most of them just love to play basketball. If they are doing what they love, and are able to support themselves, then who cares about salaries.

But yeah... WNBA(to me at least) is boring to watch. I would rather watch Tiger Woods playing golf than WNBA. Why? Because Tiger Woods is playing on a high level. A level that only a few people can actually obtain. The WNBA players play at a level that many, many people can obtain(especially males).

haterofhaters
02-27-2009, 03:27 AM
Think about it like this. Candace Parker's career earnings (at least from salary) might never reach 1 year of Sheldon Williams.

DahLollipop
02-27-2009, 03:28 AM
In today's economy, that is not surprising. I don't even think the WNBA will be around, in 10-12 years, from now. The sport is just not played at a high level, for people to care, to watch, or to spend their hard earn money on merchandise.

Also, I doubt many of these WNBA players actually went pro, to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars. I think most of them just love to play basketball. If they are doing what they love, and are able to support themselves, then who cares about salaries.

But yeah... WNBA(to me at least) is boring to watch. I would rather watch Tiger Woods playing golf than WNBA. Why? Because Tiger Woods is playing on a high level. A level that only a few people can actually obtain. The WNBA players play at a level that many, many people can obtain(especially males).

Your post was a perfect example of exponential decay. I think I'm going to save this conversation for future references. You went from stating a solid opinion and thoughtful insight to ignorant. Jeez what a drop-off. I'm disgusted I read this post. You're just a ignorant sexist... Let the flaming continue :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

BankShot
02-27-2009, 03:29 AM
No, but are you comprehending that they are making peanuts as pro-athletes? If the best of the best makes 97 grand, the #1 draft pick makes 44 grand, imagine what the scrubs make. :oldlol:

Am i comprehending that they don't make much money?? Absolutely.

Is this the first time i've read this, or am I surprised at all they make so little? Absolutely not.

Salaries are relative to the revenue created by the teams and the league through ticket sales, merchandising, sponsorships, and media deals, which I'd guess to be slightly above NOTHING.

Jerkstore!
02-27-2009, 03:32 AM
ridiculous alright, they should be earning half that :P

haterofhaters
02-27-2009, 03:36 AM
Oh, this isn't a woman's rights thread whatsoever. In fact, I can say that beginning to end I haven't watched one full WNBA game. It was just merely something that I saw today and said wow...

DahLollipop
02-27-2009, 03:41 AM
Think about it like this. Candace Parker's career earnings (at least from salary) might never reach 1 year of Sheldon Williams.
:roll: I honestly think they should trade places.
Candace Parker to the NBA
Sheldon Williams to the WNBA.. or the Zoo.

imdaman99
02-27-2009, 03:58 AM
Lesbians. Or better yet, dykes. Butch lesbians.

BankShot
02-27-2009, 04:03 AM
Lesbians. Or better yet, dykes. Butch lesbians.

Its like ISH is a breeding ground for ignorance.... wait a minute Ignorance Spawning Hole

Anyways, maybe just women that like basketball??

Or maybe parents of daughters who are into basketball that would rather have their daughters watching players who actually relish the opportunity to be role models, instead of players making a big shot and "juggling their balls" (Cassell, Kobe, Odom).

Just because you'd rather watch the NBA than the WNBA doesn't mean that everyone has the same preference. Personally, I've never watched a WNBA game in my life but there's still a place for it without getting bullsh*t from people like you.

kentatm
02-27-2009, 05:05 AM
when that league starts to turn a profit, gets massive TV deals and sells a ton of merchandise, the women will make more money. Its as simple as that.

BTW, what moron thinks maxing out at $97,000 to play a damn kids game is unfair?

The minimum they can make is $34,000. The Ls average is $45,000.

They only play 34 games.

they are fairly compensated.

and BTW, I'd LOVE to make $34,000 to play 34 games of ball a year.

thatoneblackguy
02-27-2009, 05:11 AM
:roll: :roll:

Quizno
02-27-2009, 05:20 AM
honestly, i think they are grossly underpaid. their boobies jiggle up and down and stuff when they run up the court and that must be extremely annoying.

okay, but to be serious, i do think they are extremely underpaid. i probably have a different opinion than most though, as my mom's best friend (whom i am very close to) has been a huge fan of the wnba since day one, and i would usually watch LA sparks games with her. honestly, i think they're terrific athletes and the games were actually really fun to watch. if you really don't think they play on a high level, try actually watching a game, i think you'll be surprised. they're professional athletes and they're excellent at what they do. making approximately 50k per year compared to their male counterparts where the absolute ****tiest players make tons more than that for playing maybe 3 minutes a game if their team is up by 20 with 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter is ridiculous.

Hammertime
02-27-2009, 05:51 AM
The WNBA loses about 12 million dollars a year. Every year. For the past decade.

Let's put some things into perspective people.

LJJ
02-27-2009, 06:00 AM
when that league starts to turn a profit, gets massive TV deals and sells a ton of merchandise, the women will make more money. Its as simple as that.

BTW, what moron thinks maxing out at $97,000 to play a damn kids game is unfair?

They only play 34 games.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Djax12
02-27-2009, 06:03 AM
I've once read that top players like Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, etc plays in Europe during WNBA off season and earning much higher salary there (with additional facilities : housing, car with driver)

Since european league has foreign players quota, many of them somehow manage to obtain european countries passport to qualify as "local players".
That's explained why Becky Hammond is now a Russian national team players.

bumpyknucks
02-27-2009, 06:10 AM
I've once read that top players like Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, etc plays in Europe during WNBA off season and earning much higher salary there (with additional facilities : housing, car with driver)

Good point. They all play overseas and do quite well. You have to also factor in how short the WNBA season is. Just playing in the WNBA ensures that those girls get good gigs playing overseas where they get paid over eight months, then can make some money in the summers playing in the WNBA....not a bad summer gig..which is all it is.

haterofhaters
02-27-2009, 11:07 AM
I heard that Lisa Leslie rakes in close to a million with all of her endorsements and stuff.

The Magic Man
02-27-2009, 11:12 AM

They only play 34 games.

My thoughts exactly. I do make more than that, but I would gladly trade my salary for that amount if I only had to work 34 days a year. It's freakin' basketball.

haterofhaters
02-27-2009, 11:19 AM
My thoughts exactly. I do make more than that, but I would gladly trade my salary for that amount if I only had to work 34 days a year. It's freakin' basketball.
I'm pretty sure most of them have to have jobs during the off-season. 34 grand isn't a lot to live off of for a year. Especially if you have a family to support.

JJ81
02-27-2009, 11:24 AM
This sums up the WNBA best (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXT0OCm6bA4)

NOHCP3
02-27-2009, 11:35 AM
I really feel for the WNBA. I like Candace Parker and actually watched a few Sparks games. They are really far away from being anywhere close to exciting. I enjoy the college games way more if that makes any sense. Its probably the crowds.

At this pace they wont be around too much longer. Thats sad but it is what it is.

The Magic Man
02-27-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm pretty sure most of them have to have jobs during the off-season. 34 grand isn't a lot to live off of for a year. Especially if you have a family to support.

That's my point. It's not like they are working 365 for that amount. There are other things to do to supplement your income. It's like cheerleaders. They don't make crap. They all work when not shakin it at home games.

kwajo
02-27-2009, 11:51 AM
My dad used to work the docks in Ontario back in the late-50s/early-60s with NHL players from the Maple Leafs (and CFL players too) who needed an off-season job to supplement their income. Off-season jobs used to be very common in pro sports, it has only been recently that salaries have gotten high enough to allow them to rest during the off-season.

haterofhaters
02-27-2009, 11:55 AM
That's my point. It's not like they are working 365 for that amount. There are other things to do to supplement your income. It's like cheerleaders. They don't make crap. They all work when not shakin it at home games.
The funny thing is, cheerleaders (at least NBA cheerleaders) probably get paid at least as much as most WNBA players, and some who model on the side make significantly more than that.

adamcz
02-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Even the lowest earning players, pulling down $34k a year don't have it so bad. I know all sorts of people who are worse off than that financially. I also know plenty of people who earn a lot more than that, but would trade places in a second.

Playing basketball for a living and making enough so that you can afford to eat and hold an apartment? Compared to 99% of humans on planet earth, that is a pure dream lifestyle.

haterofhaters
02-27-2009, 12:09 PM
The #1 pick in the draft makes 44 grand, so if 45k is the league average, then it must suck to ascend to the top of your sport and still get paid the same as some random scrub.

niko
02-27-2009, 12:10 PM
honestly, i think they are grossly underpaid. their boobies jiggle up and down and stuff when they run up the court and that must be extremely annoying.

okay, but to be serious, i do think they are extremely underpaid. i probably have a different opinion than most though, as my mom's best friend (whom i am very close to) has been a huge fan of the wnba since day one, and i would usually watch LA sparks games with her. honestly, i think they're terrific athletes and the games were actually really fun to watch. if you really don't think they play on a high level, try actually watching a game, i think you'll be surprised. they're professional athletes and they're excellent at what they do. making approximately 50k per year compared to their male counterparts where the absolute ****tiest players make tons more than that for playing maybe 3 minutes a game if their team is up by 20 with 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter is ridiculous.

does your mom's friend pay $97,650 a ticket? If not, NO they are not underpaid. No one cares, no one is willing to pay big money to see them. People pay money to see Lebron, that is why he gets big money. People don't pay money to see teh WNBA, it loses money. I don't care if they want to win so badly that they take out knives during the game and stab each other, there is no way a league that is basically at this point a charity endevour by the cities that have teams can claim to have "underpaid" players.

Mathius
02-27-2009, 12:31 PM

Actually, the real questoin is, where is it even televised? Maybe we just don't get games in Cleveland because the Rockers are gone?

Mathius

haterofhaters
02-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Actually, the real questoin is, where is it even televised? Maybe we just don't get games in Cleveland because the Rockers are gone?

Mathius
I know they've had some WNBA games on ESPN and ESPN2.. I have no idea about local games though. I know MSG shows some NY Liberty games, but I can't say I know about anywhere else.

Valliant13
02-27-2009, 12:40 PM

Sage words.

haterofhaters
02-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Sage words.
:oldlol: wow guys, it was clearly a joke.. I guess the humor is lost because it's for some reason a sensitive topic for people on this board.

niko
02-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Much to my annoyance, the NBA channel shows them all the time. It also makes their daily nba show almost the WNBA highlight show. So if you are all inkling for some poorly played bball, get the nba channel asap.

clayton
02-27-2009, 12:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXT0OCm6bA4
That's for the fan to decide.

niko
02-27-2009, 12:56 PM
BTW, this is it right? They are folding i heard...13th and last season.

haterofhaters
02-27-2009, 01:00 PM
I just found this, a few more details (according to wiki) I don't know how accurate it is:

Many WNBA players choose to supplement their salaries by playing in European or Australian women's basketball leagues during the WNBA off-season. In 2008, a new six-year collective bargaining agreement was agreed upon between the players and the league. The salary cap for an entire team in 2008 is $772,000. By 2013 (the sixth year under this agreement), the cap for an entire team will be $900,000. The minimum salary for a player with three-plus years of experience is $50,000 while the maximum salary for a six-plus year player is $97,500. The minimum salary for rookies picked in: first round- $36,353, second round- $35,000, third round- $34,500.

Media Coverage

Currently, WNBA games are televised throughout the U.S. by ABC, ESPN2 and NBA TV. In the early years two women's-oriented networks, Lifetime and Oxygen, also broadcast games including the first game of the WNBA. NBC showed games from 1997 to 2002 as part of their NBA on NBC coverage before the league transferred the rights to ABC/ESPN.

In June 2007, the WNBA signed a contract extension with ABC. The new television deal runs from 2009 to 2016. A minimum of 18 games will be broadcast on ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2 each season; the rights to broadcast the first regular season game and the All-Star game are held by ABC. Additionally, a minimum of 11 postseason games will be broadcast on any of the three stations.

Along with this deal, came the first ever rights fees to be paid to a women's professional sports league. Over the eight years of the contract, "millions and millions of dollars" will be "dispersed to the league's teams."

Merchandise

In 2008, league merchandise sales were up more than 36%, and WNBA jersey sales were up more than 46%, based on combined sales from the NBA Store and WNBAStore.com.

[edit] Attendance

Overall, league attendance was about 8,000 people per game in 2008. Attendance has gone up and down but has climbed slightly in the last two years. Attendance was at its peak in the league's second season (1998) at almost 11,000 fans per game, and the all time league average is 8,400 fans per game. [6]

* There were 46 sellouts in 2008, almost triple the 17 for the 2007 regular season and double the previous record of 23 in 2004.

Viewership

Saturday and Sunday afternoon games are broadcast on ABC. Tuesday night games are broadcast on ESPN2. On opening day (May 17, 2008), ABC broadcast the Los Angeles Sparks and Phoenix Mercury matchup. The game received a little over 1 million viewers. Average viewership for games broadcast on national television was 413,000 (up from 346,000 in 2007).

In 2008, the WNBA finished up in key demos on ESPN2 -- Women 18-34 (+71%) and Men 18-34 (+28%) – and on ABC -- All Women (+10%) and Women 18-34 (+20%). [7]

gotbacon23
02-27-2009, 01:04 PM

97.5k is well above the average in america. the wnba season is also something like 30-40 games, not 82 games (i dont know the exact amount). the wnba doesn't make much money compared to other sports. its a business. they gey paid based to the money they bring in for the owners and they dont bring in very much. i dont know what they bring in, but WNBA salaries might (i dont know im just speculating) be subsidies in part by NBA revenues, which would mean the wnba players were actually over-paid.

its not as bad as MLS though. there are guys in the MLS making less than $13,000 a season:

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/9_7_08_salary_info_alpha.pdf

twolvesfan
02-27-2009, 01:06 PM
what are people complaining about? women get paid 50k too giggle their boobs:cheers:

LaydVik05
02-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Well, I'm a female basketball player and it was once my dream to play in the WNBA. Ha. The sports association is overall a very sexist thing in America. It's absolutely riddiculous. Right now, at my basketball level, I'm willing to bet the four hundred dollars in my bank account that I can beat any given Junior at my high school at 1 on 1, male or female.

Some of the males here are nauseating, no wonder you spend your days online. You can't even show women equallity, what makes you think a women with any amount of self-respect would actually marry you?

2LeTTeRS
02-27-2009, 01:09 PM
The WNBA loses about 12 million dollars a year. Every year. For the past decade.

Let's put some things into perspective people.

Seriously? I didn't know that.

Luigi
02-27-2009, 01:40 PM

They only play 34 games.

This.

I thought only a handful of WNBA teams earned a profit at all (the rest steal funds from NBA team owners to survive). When you consider tying up your arena for a net loss, you reconsider quickly what to do with your franchise.

Mathius
02-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Much to my annoyance, the NBA channel shows them all the time. It also makes their daily nba show almost the WNBA highlight show. So if you are all inkling for some poorly played bball, get the nba channel asap.

Ok, but I know very few people who get NBA tv, so my thinking is still.... where is their audience?

I mean this analogy is exaggerated, but if you wanted to make money off of people watching your friend's play in your driveway, but nobody saw you play, how much money would you make?

I can't even remember ever seeing Sportscenter talk about the WNBA, but of course I don't watch it much these days.

Mathius

niko
02-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Well, I'm a female basketball player and it was once my dream to play in the WNBA. Ha. The sports association is overall a very sexist thing in America. It's absolutely riddiculous. Right now, at my basketball level, I'm willing to bet the four hundred dollars in my bank account that I can beat any given Junior at my high school at 1 on 1, male or female.

Some of the males here are nauseating, no wonder you spend your days online. You can't even show women equallity, what makes you think a women with any amount of self-respect would actually marry you?

Your school must contain some really sucky players then, no offense. Seriously - the wnba makes no money. So to argue about equal pay to the men is ridiculous. Salaries are driven by revenue, of which then wnba has NEGATIVE revenue. it costs people money to have these games go on.

and secondly, i used to play all the time at marine park, and we had females from big east college teams come and play with the high school boys, and the better high school boys who played in the park (a lot of which didn't even play on their teams) had no trouble keeping up with the girls, and some the girls had trouble with simply because of the boys size. Men are bigger, stronger and more athletic. God did this, not someone playing favorites.

:confusedshrug: the wnba is a bad product that not enough people want to see for it to be viable. you cant ask people to subsidize businesses in order for women to be able to play basketball.

niko
02-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Ok, but I know very few people who get NBA tv, so my thinking is still.... where is their audience?

I mean this analogy is exaggerated, but if you wanted to make money off of people watching your friend's play in your driveway, but nobody saw you play, how much money would you make?

I can't even remember ever seeing Sportscenter talk about the WNBA, but of course I don't watch it much these days.

Mathius

true, i never think about it but msg doesnt even always show the liberty and channel 7 pretty much stopped their every weekend wnba coverage. its not suprising, they dont show hockey much on tv too and at least hockey has a definite segment you can advertise to. What is the WNBA target audience?

mattreis62
02-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Why exactly are people surprised by this? The league has only been around for so many years because it's subsidized by the NBA. Call me sexist or whatever, but there is just no audience for the WNBA. MOST women couldn't care less about sports, and MOST men would never pay good money to watch a women's sports league.

picc84
02-27-2009, 03:00 PM

97 thousand dollars a year? For what? :confusedshrug:

I contribute more to the economy when I start a tab at the bar than the WNBA does in a season.

The funny thing is, cheerleaders (at least NBA cheerleaders) probably get paid at least as much as most WNBA players, and some who model on the side make significantly more than that.

Cheerleaders dont get paid anything.

halffttime
02-27-2009, 03:02 PM
:roll: I honestly think they should trade places.
Candace Parker to the NBA
Sheldon Williams to the WNBA.. or the Zoo.

lol the zoo :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

picc84
02-27-2009, 03:08 PM
does your mom's friend pay $97,650 a ticket? If not, NO they are not underpaid. No one cares, no one is willing to pay big money to see them. People pay money to see Lebron, that is why he gets big money. People don't pay money to see teh WNBA, it loses money. I don't care if they want to win so badly that they take out knives during the game and stab each other, there is no way a league that is basically at this point a charity endevour by the cities that have teams can claim to have "underpaid" players.

I dont think he understands that ball franchises are businesses, with assets and liabilities. Actually he doesnt seem to understand the concept of business at all.

Younggrease
02-27-2009, 03:12 PM

really...thats an odd perspective...I would never play for that much money..Thats peanuts

halffttime
02-27-2009, 03:14 PM
no offense to lady ballers but males are just way more superior when it comes to basketball.. i can honestly say ive never seen ONE girl in my life play basketball the "proper" way.. i mean they move so slow, shoot funny, and are so clumsy on the court.. they play like how guys would play when we were first starting to experiment on the court.. gosh..

Younggrease
02-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Even the lowest earning players, pulling down $34k a year don't have it so bad. I know all sorts of people who are worse off than that financially. I also know plenty of people who earn a lot more than that, but would trade places in a second.

Playing basketball for a living and making enough so that you can afford to eat and hold an apartment? Compared to 99% of humans on planet earth, that is a pure dream lifestyle.

really who are these retarded people...34k is BAD. I could see if you never played ball in front of a crowd before but almost every D1 college bball player turns down this lifestyle in order to start a real life and begin making real money.

A.M.G.
02-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FGI7R0u3TQ&NR=1

I'm ashamed that I found this funny. But seriously, have you ever tried to watch the WNBA? Good lord. It's no exaggeration to say that most decent men's high school teams could beat any WNBA team... on a regular basis.

niko
02-27-2009, 03:33 PM
really who are these retarded people...34k is BAD. I could see if you never played ball in front of a crowd before but almost every D1 college bball player turns down this lifestyle in order to start a real life and begin making real money.

then become a ****ing doctor or go overseas. Women's basketball players in the US don't get paid cause no one wants to pay to see them. Saying it's unfair is ridiculous. Jobs that are not in revenue generating situations don't get paid as much.

haterofhaters
02-27-2009, 03:41 PM
then become a ****ing doctor or go overseas. Women's basketball players in the US don't get paid cause no one wants to pay to see them. Saying it's unfair is ridiculous. Jobs that are not in revenue generating situations don't get paid as much.
I don't know if i'm ready to completely call it unfair but first i'll say that I think that NBA players are significantly overpaid. Yes, millions of people are fascinated by watching grown men put an orange basketball into a hoop, but does that fascination really warrant getting these ridiculously huge guaranteed multi-million dollar deals?

RoseCity07
02-27-2009, 03:42 PM
I'd rather pay to watch a bunch of hot girls who suck at basketball than the WNBA where the girls just all cluster f*ck in the paint and go for lay ups. Most boring thing ever.

Younggrease
02-27-2009, 03:45 PM

OK retard...where did I say its unfair...never said such a thing. wow this forum is on the decline

lilmarcgasol
02-27-2009, 04:14 PM
I'd rather pay to watch a bunch of hot girls who suck at basketball than the WNBA where the girls just all cluster f*ck in the paint and go for lay ups. Most boring thing ever.
Yeh they have such bad jumpers I don't know if their boobs get in the way or whatever I mean I thought skill was something that is trained, so theoretically girls should have just as good jumpers as the guys, yet everytime I watch a WNBA game all I see is a bunch of wideopen jumpers clanking off the front of the rim. Then I turn it off after 5 minutes, if I wanted to watch jwideopen umpers clank off the rim I'd just take my ball to the park and shoot it myself.

bdreason
02-27-2009, 04:15 PM
WNBA is done for. I LOVE Basketball, and I can't even watch a whole game.

bdreason
02-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Jobs that are not in revenue generating situations don't get paid as much.

Unless you work for Ford or GM. :cheers:

omarnyc
02-27-2009, 04:29 PM
they only play like 2 months out of the year, thats damn good imo. regular people are out here earning 30k a year working 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year.

Moose
02-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Even Mengke Batee made more doe in a season.

http://wiki.news.mn/images/c/c8/Mengke_bateer.jpg

LaydVik05
02-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Your school must contain some really sucky players then, no offense. Seriously - the wnba makes no money. So to argue about equal pay to the men is ridiculous. Salaries are driven by revenue, of which then wnba has NEGATIVE revenue. it costs people money to have these games go on.

and secondly, i used to play all the time at marine park, and we had females from big east college teams come and play with the high school boys, and the better high school boys who played in the park (a lot of which didn't even play on their teams) had no trouble keeping up with the girls, and some the girls had trouble with simply because of the boys size. Men are bigger, stronger and more athletic. God did this, not someone playing favorites.

:confusedshrug: the wnba is a bad product that not enough people want to see for it to be viable. you cant ask people to subsidize businesses in order for women to be able to play basketball.

Uh, not really.
Ha.
I just grew up playing basketball with boys instead of girls. I learned to be tough, take a charge, and not be one of those whiny annoying girls who shoot above their head.:rolleyes:
A couple years ago, when I was really into playing basketball I was a eighth grader and every day of the summer I would play for at least 3 hours, and run at least ten miles, not stopping once. My freshman year, during basketball season, I was a varsity girls captain and I worked my ass off to become a better player. Nonetheless, I went to practically the worst high school for girls basketball so we didn't have a good record, but I was also invited to play for the Oregon City Girls (if you haven't heard of them, they are one of the best girls basketball teams in the nation). Needless to say, I couldn't afford to be driven to Oregon City every day after school, and my parents refused to move. I'm not trying to boast, I'm just trying to prove a point.

Girls aren't always worse than guys when it comes to the game. It's far too judgmental to figure that guys are "bigger, faster, stronger" than females and better at sports.

Males just need to tone their egos down a little bit, especially when their sports fanatics.

20 bucks says Candice Parker would KILL every single one of you egotistical males here at a one on one game.

If females had 'trouble' at the park you used to play at, then it was their fault. They didn't learn from their mistakes or try to adapt to the environment they were playing in. Not all girls make that mistake. The majority, yes. But definitely not all.

niko
02-27-2009, 05:07 PM
OK retard...where did I say its unfair...never said such a thing. wow this forum is on the decline

you said the women are underpaid. No, they are not. They get paid thousands of dollars to play basketball for a league that loses millions of dollars a year. it's in it's 13th year, and its weaker and has a smaller fanbase that ever. and yet, they still get paid 40k and up for a 3 month gig that loses millions of dollars for its owners. its charity.

haterofhaters
02-27-2009, 05:17 PM
they only play like 2 months out of the year, thats damn good imo. regular people are out here earning 30k a year working 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year.
There are NBA players that don't play at all that make anything from 4-500k to 20+ million.

niko
02-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Uh, not really.
Ha.
I just grew up playing basketball with boys instead of girls. I learned to be tough, take a charge, and not be one of those whiny annoying girls who shoot above their head.:rolleyes:
A couple years ago, when I was really into playing basketball I was a eighth grader and every day of the summer I would play for at least 3 hours, and run at least ten miles, not stopping once. My freshman year, during basketball season, I was a varsity girls captain and I worked my ass off to become a better player. Nonetheless, I went to practically the worst high school for girls basketball so we didn't have a good record, but I was also invited to play for the Oregon City Girls (if you haven't heard of them, they are one of the best girls basketball teams in the nation). Needless to say, I couldn't afford to be driven to Oregon City every day after school, and my parents refused to move. I'm not trying to boast, I'm just trying to prove a point.

Girls aren't always worse than guys when it comes to the game. It's far too judgmental to figure that guys are "bigger, faster, stronger" than females and better at sports.

Males just need to tone their egos down a little bit, especially when their sports fanatics.

20 bucks says Candice Parker would KILL every single one of you egotistical males here at a one on one game.

If females had 'trouble' at the park you used to play at, then it was their fault. They didn't learn from their mistakes or try to adapt to the environment they were playing in. Not all girls make that mistake. The majority, yes. But definitely not all.

the majority. NOT ONE wnba player could make an nba roster. Not one at all. this is not a question if there are talented female basketball players. this is a question if women can play at a level people will pay to watch enough to support a viable league. the answer is NO.

i fully believe you are good, i also fully believe some 16 yr old who is 6 feet and 200 pounds probably could physically pound you in a game. I've seen much more skilled girls outmuscled. That's why the college girls come down to play with the guys,because they give them an equal game to the girls.

the question is and remains are wnba players underpaid and teh answer will always be an unequivocable NO because the service they provide doesn't make money.

Let's say you want a slice of pizza. The store down the street sells for $2. I work harder than them, so i will charge $3. You should buy from me. Will you? NO. You'll buy whatever you like and that sets the price.

To say WNBA players are underpaid makes no sense to me. They aren't providing a needed service, they are entertainers who have no one asking for them to entertain them.

Mathius point was a great point. Are the guys playing in your driveway underpaid? They probably are more so than the WNBA people because at least them playing doesn't ahve overhead.

niko
02-27-2009, 05:27 PM
There are NBA players that don't play at all that make anything from 4-500k to 20+ million.

you can't pick the one example that works and use it to justify a different point. the fact that Marbury is overpaid doesn't mean wnba players are underpaid. the person next to you could be a genius, that doesn't make you an idiot.

are nba players overpaid? the way the league is drawing, yes some are and some are not. on average probably not as they populate a business that makes a good amount of money.

are wnba players underpaid? on average, NO becaues they are populating a business that looses tons of money.

picc84
02-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Can someone present a business model by which taking into account money debited versus money credited WNBA players are in fact underpaid?

That the league loses millions of dollars every year in itself should be tantamount to the opposite and any other organization that was independently operated, instead of subsidized by a larger org. willing to and capable of absorbing significant financial losses, would have bankrupted or folded by now.

Please give a business model logically and credibly proving that WNBA players are underpaid.

imdaman99
02-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Its like ISH is a breeding ground for ignorance.... wait a minute Ignorance Spawning Hole

Anyways, maybe just women that like basketball??

Or maybe parents of daughters who are into basketball that would rather have their daughters watching players who actually relish the opportunity to be role models, instead of players making a big shot and "juggling their balls" (Cassell, Kobe, Odom).

Just because you'd rather watch the NBA than the WNBA doesn't mean that everyone has the same preference. Personally, I've never watched a WNBA game in my life but there's still a place for it without getting bullsh*t from people like you.
Relax buddy, it was a joke. I'm sorry you took it so seriously. Is your mom a butch lesbian or something? Sounded like it hit a nerve :confusedshrug:

niko
02-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Can someone present a business model by which taking into account money debited versus money credited WNBA players are in fact underpaid?

That the league loses millions of dollars every year in itself should be tantamount to the opposite and any other organization that was independently operated, instead of subsidized by a larger org. willing to and capable of absorbing significant financial losses, would have bankrupted or folded by now.

Please give a business model logically and credibly proving that WNBA players are underpaid.

the problem is people are using the nba business model for the wnba. the wnba business model is similar to my daughter's business model when she wants a new doll, ask daddy for money. (and she's not underpaid)

imdaman99
02-27-2009, 05:44 PM
the majority. NOT ONE wnba player could make an nba roster. Not one at all. this is not a question if there are talented female basketball players. this is a question if women can play at a level people will pay to watch enough to support a viable league. the answer is NO.

i fully believe you are good, i also fully believe some 16 yr old who is 6 feet and 200 pounds probably could physically pound you in a game. I've seen much more skilled girls outmuscled. That's why the college girls come down to play with the guys,because they give them an equal game to the girls.

the question is and remains are wnba players underpaid and teh answer will always be an unequivocable NO because the service they provide doesn't make money.

Let's say you want a slice of pizza. The store down the street sells for $2. I work harder than them, so i will charge $3. You should buy from me. Will you? NO. You'll buy whatever you like and that sets the price.

To say WNBA players are underpaid makes no sense to me. They aren't providing a needed service, they are entertainers who have no one asking for them to entertain them.

Mathius point was a great point. Are the guys playing in your driveway underpaid? They probably are more so than the WNBA people because at least them playing doesn't ahve overhead.
I think I remember Steve Kerr saying how he would get schooled by some chick named Cynthia Cooper, she was supposed to be the MJ of WNBA. How tough was Steve Kerr exactly? It's not like he was known for his defense, he was great as a spot up shooter, that was his role. While I do believe that no woman would make it in the NBA, I wouldn't be so sexist as to say it isn't possible :confusedshrug:

haterofhaters
02-27-2009, 05:45 PM
you can't pick the one example that works and use it to justify a different point. the fact that Marbury is overpaid doesn't mean wnba players are underpaid. the person next to you could be a genius, that doesn't make you an idiot.

are nba players overpaid? the way the league is drawing, yes some are and some are not. on average probably not as they populate a business that makes a good amount of money.

are wnba players underpaid? on average, NO becaues they are populating a business that looses tons of money.
If you actually read my posts, you'd see that there was only one place where I gave my opinion and was stating my point.

The thread itself was merely just throwing out there somethinging that I read and found interesting.

The part that I started debating about was people saying that NBA players are worth what they are getting paid. IMO, even the best of the best, (Kobe, Duncan, whoever else) don't deserve 20+ million to put a ball in a hoop. Period. Pretty much phsyical fitness is getting rewarded infinite amounts more than hard work and physical (non-athletic) and mental labor that people slave at night in and night out, 40+ hours a week.

niko
02-27-2009, 05:47 PM
I think I remember Steve Kerr saying how he would get schooled by some chick named Cynthia Cooper, she was supposed to be the MJ of WNBA. How tough was Steve Kerr exactly? It's not like he was known for his defense, he was great as a spot up shooter, that was his role. While I do believe that no woman would make it in the NBA, I wouldn't be so sexist as to say it isn't possible :confusedshrug:

it isn't possible. it's been tried. it hasn't worked. the size, stamina, etc. just don't cut it. no, it's not impossible in the same way it's not impossible that someone might be born who is 8 feet tall, or a lobster might be born green instead of red. but its so unlikely, that i question anyone arguing it could happen. it can happen only in a "the rules of probability states all things are possible" kind of way

note: why am i sexist for stating the truth? Women are generally weaker and smaller and have different muscle structures than men, and because of this and the fact that proffesional leagues have such a small % of people who can join that the probability of a women being THAT great to the point she'd be better than 99.9% of the men (which is what a man has to be to be a proffesional) that it's almost impossible. Women are doing just fine without being in the nba.

2LeTTeRS
02-27-2009, 05:55 PM
This thread reminds me of a sketch off Family Guy I saw a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXT0OCm6bA4

Brian - This place officially sucks worse than the WNBA
Analysis 1 - And at the top of the second half its 16 to 9, Easton leads the scoring with 4
Analysis 2 - And thats why she commands $7,000 a year these gals sure do make it difficult
Analysis 1 - But is having this minor skill worth being so unattractive? Thats for the FAN to decide

Wonder Bread Kid
02-27-2009, 05:57 PM
who watches the WNBA?

Your dad with his boyfriend. :oldlol:

Just a joke. I had to.

Foster5k
02-27-2009, 06:21 PM
If a woman could actually play at a NBA level, then I'm all for it.

The truth is that it's not going to happen. The only way I could see that happening is if a woman took massive dosages of steriods, to be able, to get the testosterone needed, to increase her speed, stamina, strength, explosiveness, etc.

So you would basically need something like this...

Candice Parker(now) + Marion Jones(her prime steriod era) = first woman to make a NBA team roster. Even then, this player would probably be a back ups back up or coming off the bench at best.

But if you allowed steriods into the NBA, then guys would be jumping out the gym, and the Candice Parker + Marion Jones player would look like a WNBA player...

In other words.. not happening :lol

t-rex
02-27-2009, 06:39 PM

If you look at the numbers objectively, WNBA players are actually overpaid. The league has been subsidized for years by the NBA. And most of the NBA owners originally didn't want to do it. They knew it was a money loser. But David Stern and political correctness twisted their arms into the deal.

The WNBA is not profitable. Without the NBA they never would have even been on National TV. WNBA TV ratings are terrible. And the league has developed an infamous reputation of exaggerating attendance numbers to hide sagging trends.

If you analyze the business numbers of sports leagues, you will find that the market for women sports leagues is non-existent. WNBA players are lucky the salaries top 97,000 dollars a year. Fan interest isn't there to support that high a salary.

The premise of the OP is wrong. The WNBA and it's players are fortunate to be in business at all.

t-rex
02-27-2009, 06:46 PM

There isn't one WNBA player that could make even a Division 1 basketball roster.

A real good boys high school basketball team would defeat even the greatest WNBA team in league history.

The athletic difference between men's basketball and women's basketball is just to great. I think that's why women's basketball has a difficult time finding an audience.

Foster5k
02-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Actually if you look at the numbers objectively, WNBA players are actually overpaid. The league has been subsidized for years by the NBA. And most of the NBA owners originally didn't want to do it. They knew it was a money loser. But David Stern and political correctness twisted their arms into the deal.

The WNBA is not profitable. Without the NBA they never would have even been on National TV. WNBA TV ratings are terrible. And the league has developed an infamous reputation of exaggerating attendance numbers to hide sagging trends.

If you analyze the business numbers of sports leagues, you will find that the market for women sports leagues is non-existent. WNBA players are lucky, the salaries top 97,000 dollars a year. Fan interest isn't there to support that high a salary.

The premise of the OP is wrong. The WNBA and it's players are fortunate to be in business at all.

Let me add something to that...

You guys got to understand that the average NBA team makes 100+ million dollars a year. If their team gets into the playoffs, they will make even more money. The two key words here is... making money.

now...

The WNBA is actually losing money.... The real question here is should these WNBA players even get a salary. The NBA has to give the WNBA money, so it can survive. Without the NBA there wouldn't even be a WNBA, because the WNBA isn't capable of making a profit on its own.

So a lot of women and men on here asking why do the males get paid more... well simple...

On one side you have the NBA making money... on the other you have the WNBA losing money.. who do you think deserve more money?

Not to mention... it's all about supply vs demand. The supply of people like Kobe Bryant, Shaq, Dwight Howard, Dwayne Wade, Chris Paul, Yao Ming, Tim Duncan and on and on is short, that's why they get big salaries. If there were millions of players like this, then their salaries would plummet.

On the other hand...

I could create a team right now, of people I know, that could beat any WNBA team. However, that same team would get dominated by a NBA's team, who just put in their back ups back ups, to play my team.

So.. these WNBA players should be thankful they even make a salary.

t-rex
02-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Foster 5k..... that about covers it!

Younggrease
02-27-2009, 07:39 PM
you said the women are underpaid. No, they are not. They get paid thousands of dollars to play basketball for a league that loses millions of dollars a year. it's in it's 13th year, and its weaker and has a smaller fanbase that ever. and yet, they still get paid 40k and up for a 3 month gig that loses millions of dollars for its owners. its charity.

No I never said they were underpaid...you moron. Wow, this iq on this board is so low. Is you some gimmick account, or are you this dumb. All I said is that "34 k bad", and I would never play for that amount. I would get a real job. Almost all of my friends were former athletes and have made the same decisions.

Foster5k
02-27-2009, 07:44 PM
All I said is that "34 k bad", and I would never play for that amount.

Well, some people actually have jobs because they enjoy them not because of pay. Also, I know a lot of people who wish they made 34k a year.

niko
02-27-2009, 07:47 PM
No I never said they were underpaid...you moron. Wow, this iq on this board is so low. Is you some gimmick account, or are you this dumb. All I said is that "34 k bad", and I would never play for that amount. I would get a real job. Almost all of my friends were former athletes and have made the same decisions.

why are you even in the discussion then? am i supposed to assume you are answering other questions and not the topic? :confusedshrug:

cp3_horn3ts
05-23-2009, 05:03 PM
But that being said having the job of playing bball plus all that time off would be awesome. And players can also make money through sponsorships.

yea and after u play u can coach which will get u even more than that

Burgz
05-23-2009, 10:14 PM
forget basketball
my daughter are gonna play tennis LOL

OzGriffin
07-29-2009, 08:53 PM
I have not been impressed by a female basketball player, ever.

supersmashbros
07-30-2009, 11:29 AM

They only play 34 games.

So true especially your last statement. That gives them tons of free time. If anyone thinks the NBA or any pro men's league is making too much money, just stop giving them that many endorsements and media attention. Simple as that:rant Tens of millions for a damn ball game...I like their athletic performance, but that's a little ridiculous...I think in the future, historians would look back at our capitalist culture that allows athletes to make so much money in bewilderment.