PDA

View Full Version : Why do college players wear T-shirts under their jerseys and NBA players don't?

OKC Basketball
03-03-2009, 06:28 AM
Someone please explain this to me.

TheWitness
03-03-2009, 06:30 AM
i dunno why...

even james was wearing a t-shirt like thingy in his Highschool days...

thats even highschool and not College...

pillage
03-03-2009, 06:30 AM
Rules in NBA are more strict, plus most players do it because they're insecure about their frame. Being in the NBA theyre usually bigger. ;)

Most heard reason is bc the fabric of jerseys irritate them.

*I read Ewing started the 'trend' when he wore a shirt under his jerseys because he used to catch a cold. I call bull****.

TheWitness
03-03-2009, 06:33 AM
plus NBA players wear tight bodyfit thingies instead of T-shirts!

Meticode
03-03-2009, 06:35 AM
Pretty sure NBA players don't wear shirts under jerseys because it's against dress-code. Just like some teams won't allow you to wear a headband (ie: Bulls, Heat) to name a couple teams.

TheWitness
03-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Pretty sure NBA players don't wear shirts under jerseys because it's against dress-code. Just like some teams won't allow you to wear a headband (ie: Bulls, Heat) to name a couple teams.

LOL thats weird... its just now that i noticed that no players on the Bulls and heat line up wears headbands! hahaha!

pillage
03-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Clifford Robinson doesnt like this.

Meticode
03-03-2009, 06:47 AM
LOL thats weird... its just now that i noticed that no players on the Bulls and heat line up wears headbands! hahaha!

I don't think they ever have. When Larry Hughes got traded to the Bulls last year he had to dump the headband when he was using it in Cleveland. The same with Jermaine O'Neal to the Heat. He wore it with the Raptors then had to dump it with the Heat.

It's just one of those things. Like in baseball some teams want you to be cleaning shaven except for a mustache (ie: Reds and Yankees).

TheWitness
03-03-2009, 07:01 AM
hmmmmm got me thinking what if Melo went to the bulls...

Kobe Jnr
03-03-2009, 07:27 AM
i thought i herd from somewhere, that they have to wear shirt underneath is because there a freshman or something, im not sure abt the order b/c im from Australia so.... i think.

Gevz2kX
03-03-2009, 07:38 AM

not true about the Heat. Jermaine O'Neal wears a headband

mika
03-03-2009, 07:56 AM
under armour:banana:

a lot of it probably has to do with the nba rules though, they banned tights and recently dwyane wade's illustrated band aids.

BankShot
03-03-2009, 08:04 AM
not true about the Heat. Jermaine O'Neal wears a headband

He did in Indiana and Toronto, but if you've actually seen him in a game in Miami, you'd know he doesn't wear one. He looks f'n weird without a sweatband.

pillage
03-03-2009, 08:34 AM
He did in Indiana and Toronto, but if you've actually seen him in a game in Miami, you'd know he doesn't wear one. He looks f'n weird without a sweatband.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090303/capt.4d4f9686b0b341efb252992fdd9f8bde.cavaliers_he at_basketball_aaa102.jpg

biisak
03-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Dont you guys have some retarded **** about covering up tattoos as well?

sick_brah07
03-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Rules in NBA are more strict, plus most players do it because they're insecure about their frame. Being in the NBA theyre usually bigger. ;)

Most heard reason is bc the fabric of jerseys irritate them.

*I read Ewing started the 'trend' when he wore a shirt under his jerseys because he used to catch a cold. I call bull****.

sounds odd but i get simular affects if i dont wear something under the jersey like a thick singlet or underarmour

The_Pope
03-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Do you reckon the Bulls would drop their 'no headbands' rule for LeBron?

sick_brah07
03-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Do you reckon the Bulls would drop their 'no headbands' rule for LeBron?

i dont understand what is that bad about a headband, out of all the things they wear in the nba that is actualy worthy thing to wear.

maybe they jus hate iverson

TheWitness
03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
bulls would definitely drop that rule if lebron would enter the team...

sick_brah07
03-03-2009, 10:36 AM
bulls would definitely drop that rule if lebron would enter the team...
but jordan never wore one?

Posterize246
03-03-2009, 10:38 AM
They wear them in college because they can. They don't wear them in the Nba because it's against the dress code.

TheWitness
03-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Jordan wasnt used to wearing one thats why...

Huey Freeman
03-03-2009, 10:41 AM
You'll never see an Orlando player with a head band.

trig
03-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Bulls had that rule to clean-up chicago during the eddie robinson days. dunno about the heat and orlando.

Regarding Tshirts, maybe they don't want to show their armpits lol

PK3434
03-03-2009, 11:04 AM
They wear them in college because they can. They don't wear them in the Nba because it's against the dress code.

exactly...if nba players were allowed to, they would. if you ever see footage of an nba practice, half the guys are wearing long sleaved shirts and sweatpants while they practice.

swyftdahoe
03-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Whatever. T-shirts under jerseys is a stupid look.

swyftdahoe
03-03-2009, 12:31 PM
exactly...if nba players were allowed to, they would. if you ever see footage of an nba practice, half the guys are wearing long sleaved shirts and sweatpants while they practice.

I think that's mainly to keep warm since you're not doing full court sprinting, etc..

Huey Freeman
03-03-2009, 12:40 PM
I've seen a pic of an NBA rookie (name doesn't come to mind, but I think he played for the Suns) who wore a t-shirt under his NBA jersey. Wish I could find that trading card again.

LA_Showtime
03-03-2009, 02:30 PM
i dunno why...

even james was wearing a t-shirt like thingy in his Highschool days...

thats even highschool and not College...

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that LeBron wore sleeves to cover his tatoos.

collusion
03-03-2009, 02:56 PM
No headband rule also applies to the jazz

Terp in LA
03-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Toby Bailey from UCLA always had one on.

Riker
03-03-2009, 03:17 PM

Well you are certainly new to NBA because Bulls had that in their team "policy" for a long long time.

Imagine James in Chicago? How would he hide that receding hairline? Would he complain to Jerry Reinsdorf about it? Demand to wear headband? LOL.

Seriously, for a forum filled with NBA experts, I'm surprised you don't know about something that's a common NBA trivia

Huey Freeman
03-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Well you are certainly new to NBA because Bulls had that in their team "policy" for a long long time.

Imagine James in Chicago? How would he hide that receding hairline? Would he complain to Jerry Reinsdorf about it? Demand to wear headband? LOL.

Seriously, for a forum filled with NBA experts, I'm surprised you don't know about something that's a common NBA trivia
Ben Wallace got to wear his head band in Chi.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2008/writers/steve_aschburner/02/05/wallace.bulls/p1.wallace.jpg

Riker
03-03-2009, 04:23 PM
They had to make special exception for his bum ass :rant

Mathius
03-03-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that LeBron wore sleeves to cover his tatoos.

You're partly right. James wore a sleeve to cover his NEW tattoos. He'd just got new ink put on and didn't want them to get scratched or whatever while they were still healing. I would do the same, but then James has money to get them touched up if something goes wrong. Still, it makes sense.

I don't know why guys like Lebron, Hamilton, Wade, Kobe, etc. have taken to wearing the sleeves on their shooting arm. It seems to me like it would be restrictive when you bend your elbow at a complete 90.

Mathius

willds09
03-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Blazers don't wear headbands either.

Gevz2kX
03-03-2009, 04:58 PM

looks like you're the one who hasn't actually seen him in a game in Miami

http://a.espncdn.com/media/apphoto/06e07986-16df-42f2-8875-984c04188bd9.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/media/apphoto/a670187c-baba-42b0-962b-e8eb90d9ef3d.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/media/apphoto/1f8352d6-9740-497a-adb7-2d48a4cf077f.jpg

JJ81
03-03-2009, 05:01 PM
They probably dont let them any more.

MrEncinas
03-03-2009, 05:03 PM

They just started letting him wear it a couple games ago. First few games he wasn't wearing one.

Chicago-Rose
03-03-2009, 05:05 PM

Is that one of Paxson's rules for good character?

PK3434
03-03-2009, 05:15 PM
I think that's mainly to keep warm since you're not doing full court sprinting, etc..

Not really. its more of an ego thing. I know it sounds stupid but a lot of the best players I have ever played with or against have played or practiced if allowed to, in absurd clothing. it basically says, "im so good, i can beat you no matter what." I've seen a kid win an aau dunk contest with jeans on and the best player on my college team used to wear a red long sleeved tee under his practice jersey (we had no red in our uniforms).

FinishHim!
03-03-2009, 05:29 PM
What happened to the no headband rule in Miami. They changed their mind after looking at JO's Tyra Banks 5 head?

wasteland
03-03-2009, 06:42 PM
I don't know why guys like Lebron, Hamilton, Wade, Kobe, etc. have taken to wearing the sleeves on their shooting arm. It seems to me like it would be restrictive when you bend your elbow at a complete 90.

No, it wouldn't. It actually gives your shooting hand more of a feel cause it tightens it. Armbands can do the same...

Dizzle-2k7
03-03-2009, 06:49 PM
I like the college tall tee look.. some of my favorite ballers have sported a T in their college days (ben gordon was sick at uconn.. teague currently at wake)

BankShot
03-03-2009, 06:59 PM

Well f*ck me running. The one Heat game i watched he didn't have a sweatband on, and he looked weird as s*it.

When you're wrong you're wrong.

BillytheKidder
03-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I was in Miami for the Cavs game this weekend and what I got from the Sports pages was that the Heat let Wade wear the bandaid so they let O'Neal wear headband. Then the league took away the bandaid.

Bill

zabuza666
03-03-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't think they ever have. When Larry Hughes got traded to the Bulls last year he had to dump the headband when he was using it in Cleveland. The same with Jermaine O'Neal to the Heat. He wore it with the Raptors then had to dump it with the Heat.

It's just one of those things. Like in baseball some teams want you to be cleaning shaven except for a mustache (ie: Reds and Yankees).

O'neal wore a headband in the match against the cavs?

monkeypox
03-03-2009, 07:56 PM
College jerseys are made out of inferior materials which chafes the players nipples something awful.

loot
03-04-2009, 06:15 PM
about Riley allowing JO to wear his sweatband

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/basketball/story/931397.html

Myth
03-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Well f*ck me running. The one Heat game i watched he didn't have a sweatband on, and he looked weird as s*it.

When you're wrong you're wrong.

Jesus, he does look weird.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2009/02/18/oneal_heat_courtesy_260.jpg

TLV
03-05-2009, 05:07 AM
Hahaha JO's so black you couldn't tell he was wearing a headband.

Toizumi
03-05-2009, 05:23 AM
Jerry Sloan is known for not allowing his players to wear headbands. I didn't know it was bulls policy to not allow players to wear headbands, I thought it was Scott Skiles who didn't allow it the last couple of years. I remember the whole fuzz about Ben Wallace not being allowed to wear one...

But anyway, NBA players probably aren't allowed to wear T shirts, I believe I heard this somewhere. Tried to look it up in the rulebook but I can't find anything. :confusedshrug:

Edit: Jermaine O'neal has a huge forehead :D

JordanL
03-05-2009, 05:39 AM
Blazers have a strict no headband policy now too. But it's because it's a policy of McMillian.

He made a special exception for LaMarcus Aldridge because of a ruptured eardrum that he had to keep fluids out of.

ZOMG
03-05-2009, 06:42 AM
Jesus, he does look weird.

JO has a bald pinhead, narrow shoulders and a big ass. Not a great look. Somehow the headband helps a little.

loot
03-05-2009, 06:49 AM
JO has a bald pinhead, narrow shoulders and a big ass. Not a great look. Somehow the headband helps a little.
you just described a somalian person :D

Toizumi
03-05-2009, 06:54 AM
you just described a somalian person :D

that's so racist, yet so true :oldlol: :D

wang4three
03-05-2009, 09:44 AM
David Stern has a fetish for shoulders.

Mathius
03-05-2009, 10:41 AM
No, it wouldn't. It actually gives your shooting hand more of a feel cause it tightens it. Armbands can do the same...

That statement is retarded on several levels.

Tightening doesn't give you more feel, it gives you less. It's a medical fact. Restrictions cause less blood flow, which means less blood to the appendages, i.e. your hands, which means LESS feel on your shooting hand.

Also, sweatbands/armbands are not tight enough to be restrictive. They swell with your arm movement, unless you're wearing one that is too small for you.

They do make elastic oversized rubber bands that are used for some kind of change in circulation. Glen Rice used to wear them just below his kneecap in his later days.

If you want to make a case that it's better for them as a shooter, you're going to have to come up with an explanation that's not stupid.

Mathius

loot
03-05-2009, 10:49 AM
They do make elastic oversized rubber bands that are used for some kind of change in circulation. Glen Rice used to wear them just below his kneecap in his later days.

Mathius

Those rubber bands pressure off of the patellar tendons. Your patella tendon attaches the kneecap to your tibia and your femur. Your patella (kneecap) is supposed to moving up and down smoothly when you're running/walking, Glen Rice had problems with this, hence the rubber bands, taking pressure of off his knee.

Loot

Riker
03-05-2009, 11:01 AM

Those rubber bands pressure off of the patellar tendons. Your patella tendon attaches the kneecap to your tibia and your femur. Your patella (kneecap) is supposed to moving up and down smoothly when you're running/walking, Glen Rice had problems with this, hence the rubber bands, taking pressure of off his knee.

Loot

Oversized rubber bands for changing the circulation?

LMAO

Someone certainly lacks some circulation in some vital parts of human body...geez...lol

BlazersDozen
03-05-2009, 11:14 AM

Kobe wore a purple t-shirt a few times a couple seasons ago.

Mathius
03-05-2009, 11:20 AM

Loot

Well I read he had circulation problems, but that's fine. Makes more sense anyways. Thank you for the correction. Doesn't change the fact that the idea that sleeves or armbands aren't worn to make your arms more "tight" and give you "more feel".

Mathius

loot
03-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Well I read he had circulation problems, but that's fine. Makes more sense anyways. Thank you for the correction. Doesn't change the fact that the idea that sleeves or armbands aren't worn to make your arms more "tight" and give you "more feel".

Mathius

Maybe the circulation problems were caused by the band being too tight hehehe. Glen Rice had chronic knee injuries. Tendinitis iirc.

Mathius
03-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Maybe the circulation problems were caused by the band being too tight hehehe. Glen Rice had chronic knee injuries. Tendinitis iirc.

I don't know. I looked into it way back in like.. 95? when I first noticed he wore them during the three point contest the year he won, and Miner won the dunk contest. I doubt any of those articles are still around in electronic form.

Mathius

loot
03-05-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't know, did Miner wear them too?

It was adviced to me to look for those when I had tendinitis in both knees. Shortly after getting the advice my right knee just twisted (instead of getting my ankles broken, I got my knee jacked up). I never looked into it much but I think my knees just were weaker then they were supposed to be because I kept playing through tendinitis. Anytway, that's how I know about those bands.

Mathius
03-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't know, did Miner wear them too?

It was adviced to me to look for those when I had tendinitis in both knees. Shortly after getting the advice my right knee just twisted (instead of getting my ankles broken, I got my knee jacked up). I never looked into it much but I think my knees just were weaker then they were supposed to be because I kept playing through tendinitis. Anytway, that's how I know about those bands.

I don't remember Miner ever wearing anything outside of some armbands and a knee brace at one point when he hurt his knee. But that was such a long time ago. If you'd have asked me at the time, I could have quoted you all his statistics and his birthdate. He was probably my favorite player of all time. He could flat out score. Now? Didn't seem much point in remembering any of that information.

Mathius

Meticode
03-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Kobe wore a purple t-shirt a few times a couple seasons ago.

Different teams have different dress-codes. Some of the codes are league-wide, some are just team-wide. Such as if you're on the Bulls you can't wear a head-band or the Heat.

CoryThaGr8
03-06-2009, 07:22 PM
does anyone know why that kid from Oklahoma i think wear a long sleeved shirt?

Cabbage
03-06-2009, 07:26 PM
hmmmmm got me thinking what if Melo went to the bulls...

Keep dreaming

loot
03-06-2009, 07:27 PM
does anyone know why that kid from Oklahoma i think wear a long sleeved shirt?

Tony Crocker. 'To stay warm during games' because he had difficulties with it. probably went cold too much... http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090104_92_B4_Oklaho10643

dumb ****

"Tony told me yesterday that he is going back to the sleeved shirt to try and break the shooting slump." meh

highwhey
03-06-2009, 07:31 PM
You're partly right. James wore a sleeve to cover his NEW tattoos. He'd just got new ink put on and didn't want them to get scratched or whatever while they were still healing. I would do the same, but then James has money to get them touched up if something goes wrong. Still, it makes sense.

Mathius
Then again, it's no surprise why LeBron can't shoot for $hit.
JK, I love LBJ.

DC Zephyrs
03-06-2009, 08:51 PM
It's banned because it looks stupid.