Move over T-Mac, we found a replacement. :lol

http://www.nba.com/dleague/anaheim/white_090303.html

[quote][B]NEW YORK, March 3, 2009

bdreason
03-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Is this the guy with the nasty dunks?

Cyclone112
03-03-2009, 04:17 PM
wow thats pretty crazy, it will be really interesting to see how this guy does in the nba

HisJoeness
03-03-2009, 04:18 PM
He will see exactly 1:27 of court time.

BankShot
03-03-2009, 04:18 PM
wow thats pretty crazy, it will be really interesting to see how this guy does in the nba

My guess is that he's not gonna do s*it in the NBA, seeing as how he was drafted in 2006, and has been in the D-League ever since.

Amazing dunker, ridiculous hops, no real basketball skills.

TMAC-RAPTORS
03-03-2009, 04:20 PM
My guess is that he's not gonna do s*it in the NBA, seeing as how he was drafted in 2006, and has been in the D-League ever since.

Amazing dunker, ridiculous hops, no real basketball skills.

The man avg 25 pts per game, he must have some skills.

brantonli
03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Well, we need some sort of athletism on the Rocket, seriously, bceause of hte huge lack of dunking on this team all White needs to do is just 1 showboat jam and all the Rockets fans will go crazy, we've been deprived for so long!

^^ Lol jeff, I actually did know he was going to be signed.

BankShot
03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
The man avg 25 pts per game, he must have some skills.

Thats true, so let me rephrase. Amazing dunker, ridiculous hops, very few NBA-level skills.

There must be a reason he was given multiple chances with NBA teams (Spurs, Pacers) and wasn't able to carve out a niche to play even 5 minutes a game, and has been in the D-League and Europe since he was drafted.

Raj Da Dodge
03-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Well, we need some sort of athletism on the Rocket, seriously, bceause of hte huge lack of dunking on this team all White needs to do is just 1 showboat jam and all the Rockets fans will go crazy, we've been deprived for so long!
feel you bro! :rockon:

StroShow4
03-03-2009, 04:26 PM
White becomes the 12th GATORADE Call-Up of the 2008-09 NBA Development League season, and the 130th overall since the league began play in 2001.

a little trivia for you guys.. who was the first d-league call up ever?

brantonli
03-03-2009, 04:27 PM
a little trivia for you guys.. who was the first d-league call up ever?

Ooh...I guess Stro swift. hmm, but I dont think he was ever in the D-league, hmm there's a list of them who were called up in the first season, I pick Chris anderson.

Riker
03-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Clearly the GOAT is here

StroShow4
03-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Ooh...I guess Stro swift. hmm, but I dont think he was ever in the D-league, hmm there's a list of them who were called up in the first season, I pick Chris anderson.

yeah, it was andersen.

TMac&Luther
03-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Thats true, so let me rephrase. Amazing dunker, ridiculous hops, very few NBA-level skills..

hmm.....really?

[QUOTE]James White is an interesting developing story in Anaheim. He is second in the league in scoring, averaging 22.9 points per game, while shooting a sensational 55.3% from the field. And he

Riker
03-03-2009, 04:50 PM
GAME 1 PREDICTIONS BY RIKER

2:15 minutes

0-2 FG

1-2 FT

1 point

1 TO

A.M.G.
03-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Much like Gerald Green, James White = proof that you have to be more than a freak athlete to make it in the NBA.

This dude probably should have been a track and field athlete. But who knows, maybe White has developed his skills and IQ enough that he will actually be able to put that leaping ability to work in NBA basketball.

TMac&Luther
03-03-2009, 04:57 PM
He's already better than Green......he has 10 full digits.

Hoopman2612
03-03-2009, 05:03 PM
James White is strictly a slasher on the court but he does have the ability to finish at the rim at will with his athleticism,watch a NBDL game on NBA TV to see for yourself.

The problem with James White is that although his mid range shot has improved he still lacks any type of range and he plays defense sometimes but not all of the time.

With his athletic ability if he were to commit to being solely a defensive stopper he could find a niche in the NBA.

TMac&Luther
03-03-2009, 05:11 PM
James White is strictly a slasher on the court but he does have the ability to finish at the rim at will with his athleticism,watch a NBDL game on NBA TV to see for yourself.

The problem with James White is that although his mid range shot has improved he still lacks any type of range and he plays defense sometimes but not all of the time.

With his athletic ability if he were to commit to being solely a defensive stopper he could find a niche in the NBA.

In this offense he'll get by on athleticism alone if he can move well without the ball. Adelman is good at taking young players with some athleticism and getting decent production out of them in his system. He'll be a nice young player to have off the bench......MUCH BETTER than Luther Head.

Lebron23
03-03-2009, 05:11 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_james_white.jpg

James White Stats, when he played for the San Antonio Spurs.

8.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg, .800 FT%

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/whiteja02.html

TMac&Luther
03-03-2009, 05:13 PM
BTW here's his dunk mix...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzeAcPik4_s

and this is one of the sickest dunks I've ever seen (D-league dunk contest)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8yHQ15TdHU&feature=related

Every year in dunk contests people try to dunk from the FT line, but most of them cheat and take a step infront of it.....his looks legit.

TMac&Luther
03-03-2009, 05:15 PM

Those are decent stats for a young player, wonder why the guy never really got a chance in the league (must be attitude issues or something).

lolwut
03-03-2009, 05:15 PM
He should be suited up tonight. I hope he gets in!

Hoopman2612
03-03-2009, 05:16 PM
In this offense he'll get by on athleticism alone if he can move well without the ball. Adelman is good at taking young players with some athleticism and getting decent production out of them in his system. He'll be a nice young player to have off the bench......MUCH BETTER than Luther Head.
He can't get by with his athleticism.

If you watched him in the NBDL he brought the ball up the court and the offense revolved around him.

So instead of catching and shooting he shot pull up jumpers which some players are better at anyways.

If his role isnt to be an offensive option then what would he provide other than being a dunker?

Hoopman2612
03-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Those are decent stats for a young player, wonder why the guy never really got a chance in the league (must be attitude issues or something).
He has no range,He plays half assed defense,& possibly he is still immature.

I remember how immature he was at Florida which ended up with him having to transfer.

TMac&Luther

If you watched him in the NBDL he brought the ball up the court and the offense revolved around him.

So instead of catching and shooting he shot pull up jumpers which some players are better at anyways.

If his role isnt to be an offensive option then what would he provide other than being a dunker?

In this offense if he learns to move well without the ball he'll get dunks and other easy shots at the rim......much like Carl did his rookie season before he fine tunned his jump shot. Plus the article above already said he's got a much better J now.

Sorry, but a guy who can put up 25 ppg at the Dleague level atleast knows how to play a little ball and can score.....nobody is asking for this guy to make the allstar team, just provide some production and athleticism off the bench, I think he can do that.

lolwut

He's clearly supposed to provide an offensive spark off the bench. He's extremely athletic and shooting 55% from the field and 37% from 3 in Anaheim.

Hoopman2612
03-03-2009, 05:20 PM

That was in only 6 games.

He played in the final 2 games while the Spurs rested their important players.

mattevans11
03-03-2009, 05:20 PM

:applause:
i like the move for the rockets.... but i have to be honest with you, i felt the same way about getting green last year and that did not turn out quite how i was hoping....... his bball IQ must be getting better for him to be getting a chance. i would like to have a white/wafer combo off of our bench... wafer is dong well this year, but having options will be nice. i wanna white get about 15 minutes a game to try to fit in.

SsKSpurs21
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM

that is what the spurs were hoping for... for him to be a defensive stopper but he was more focused on dunks and offense. never really tried on defense, so we had to drop him.

TMac&Luther
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
He has no range,He plays half assed defense,& possibly he is still immature.

I remember how immature he was at Florida which ended up with him having to transfer.

Sounds like you're just hating on him.......NBA scouts already said he has a J that he developed in the D league and his coach already commented on his attitude. Said he was a good kid and works hard, but has a reputation that has followed him and it hurts him. He's 26 now, he's not a 19 year old kid at florida.

A.M.G.
03-03-2009, 05:23 PM
He's already better than Green......he has 10 full digits.
What are you talking about? Has the Gerald Green story gotten even more tragic and I wasn't aware of it?

Hoopman2612
03-03-2009, 05:23 PM
He's clearly supposed to provide an offensive spark off the bench. He's extremely athletic and shooting 55% from the field and 37% from 3 in Anaheim.
I know the NBDL is a minor league of the NBA but just because a player is doing well in the NBDL with the offense based around him doesn't mean they will do well in the NBA as a role player.

Think to yourself.

If James White were as good as I think he is, Why has he played only 6 games in the NBA?

Hoopman2612
03-03-2009, 05:24 PM
What are you talking about? Has the Gerald Green story gotten even more tragic and I wasn't aware of it?
No.

Everyone on ISH just hates Gerald Green.

lolwut
03-03-2009, 05:24 PM
I know the NBDL is a minor league of the NBA but just because a player is doing well in the NBDL with the offense based around him doesn't mean they will do well in the NBA as a role player.

Think to yourself.

If James White were as good as I think he is, Why has he played only 6 games in the NBA?

If he's capable of shooting 55% from the field in an offense that's based around him he's at least a decent scorer.

Hoopman2612
03-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Sounds like you're just hating on him.......NBA scouts already said he has a J that he developed in the D league and his coach already commented on his attitude. Said he was a good kid and works hard, but has a reputation that has followed him and it hurts him. He's 26 now, he's not a 19 year old kid at florida.
Link?

Rockets(T-mac)
03-03-2009, 05:26 PM
When he was drafted, I really wanted him to get some minutes on a team, just so he could get in the dunk contest.

Hope he does that next year.

Hoopman2612
03-03-2009, 05:27 PM
If he's capable of shooting 55% from the field in an offense that's based around him he's at least a decent scorer.
Hes a decent scorer when the offense revolves around him.

If Rick Adelman runs their offense through a guy on a 10 Day contract he might as well quit now.

lolwut
03-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Hes a decent scorer when the offense revolves around him.

If Rick Adelman runs their offense through a guy on a 10 Day contract he might as well quit now.

Rick Adelman is not going to run the offense through a freak athlete we picked up out of the D League. He's a risk, but he has the capability to at least provide an offensive spark off our bench. It will be interesting to see how he compares to Von Wafer.

I'd rather have James White than Luther Head.

TMac&Luther
03-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Link?

James White, Knocking on the NBA's Door, Again

by: Jim Hlavac
February 12, 2009
In a league that prides itself in developing players, no one player has shown as much improvement this season as NBA D-League All-Star James White of the Anaheim Arsenal. The 6' 7 White is second in the league in scoring with 25.8 points per game and has scored 20 or more points in 21 consecutive games. White will be one of four players participating in the D-League's Slam-Dunk Contest on Friday night, as well as the D-League All-Star game on Saturday afternoon (NBA TV, 4 PM EST).

Coach [Sam] Vincent put me in a role as being one of the primary scorers on the team, said White. I'm getting shots up and just looking for my shot more, which I've really never been able to do on any other team I played for.

The trust placed upon him by Vincent has paid off for White and the Arsenal, as he has connected on 55.5% of his shots and 40% from behind the arc.

Icon SMI

Assistant Coach Paul Mokeski agrees, Every game I look up, he's got 30 points.

White's biggest development, however, has been his attitude and approach to the game. He has a bad reputation, and whether it is deserving or not, it has stuck to him.

When White entered the NBA draft out of Cincinnati, he was the 31st pick overall. Yet in this year's D-League draft, this first round talent saw 24 players picked ahead of him. And there was some concern in the Anaheim war room of taking him at all.

He had a reputation of being kind of volatile, says Mokeski. A reputation that Mokeski hasn't seen this season. I really like James. He works hard and he's a professional.

The trip to China was not a lost cause, as his Dad gave him a book to read, Mind Gym, by Gary Mack and David Casstevens.

It's a book that talks about focusing and visualizing and things like that, says White. I've been incorporating it into my game. I'm staying focused and looking at the plays before they happen. It's really helped me slow the game down.

White has always been, and will always be, an emotional player. He just needs to refine his emotions on the court and the book has helped him see that.

Everybody thinks I have a bad attitude or I'm a bad guy because I show emotion. But that's what fuels me to play, my emotion.

He also now understands that he needs to control his emotion on the court. Earlier in the season, White would often contest calls the referees made, but he realizes that they are just doing their job and he needs to stay focused.

I'm trying to calm down and leave the refs alone. The last three or four weeks I've really been working at it.

His efforts have not gone unnoticed by Coach Mokeski. The non-reactions he has now to the bad calls are a big difference. It's not the big blown up reaction, it's just a little reaction and that's been a huge difference. It's really helped his game.

So now White just waits for the rest of the basketball world to see how he has developed this season. I've figured out the scoring part at this level, so I'm going to pick it up on defense a little, get more rebounds, do more stuff other than scoring.

With all the raw talent and athleticism that made White the 31st pick overall in 2006, he should be getting a look at the NBA before the end of the year. If that comes, White will be ready.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/James-White-Knocking-on-the-NBAs-Door-Again-3106/

Hoopman2612
03-03-2009, 05:48 PM
^^Thats nice.

He'll be back in Anaheim by Easter.

TMac&Luther
03-03-2009, 05:51 PM
^^Thats nice.

Hate Hate Hate :violin:

Raj Da Dodge
03-03-2009, 06:10 PM
God damn this guy can dunk/jump!!! Damn! Here's a tight mix of his dunks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdhRgZXNo5w

But damn he can jump! Hope he can shoot too!

BankShot
03-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Hate Hate Hate :violin:

I think he's just being realistic... it would be great for the Rockets if is able to come in and contribute right away, but in all seriousness how many minutes are really available for White?? Is he going to get serious minutes over Von Wafer and Lowry??

Don't get me wrong it would be fun seeing him in the playoffs when i can actually watch Rockets games, but i get the impression that this is going to be an extremely underwhelming 10 days for White.

TMac&Luther
03-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I think he's just being realistic... it would be great for the Rockets if is able to come in and contribute right away, but in all seriousness how many minutes are really available for White?? Is he going to get serious minutes over Von Wafer and Lowry??

Don't get me wrong it would be fun seeing him in the playoffs when i can actually watch Rockets games, but i get the impression that this is going to be an extremely underwhelming 10 days for White.

I don't look for him to do much either, but it would be nice if he could turn some heads in practice and catch on with a team that's obviously going to be looking for a new athletic sg/sf for next season.

beasly15
03-03-2009, 06:47 PM
everybody settle down, he probably won't even play or get waived like gerald green. i hope he does play and dunk cause the rockets are boring. mcgrady for iverson!

highwhey
03-03-2009, 07:47 PM
I think White is going to surprise people. He's become a better player. Anyways, I saw him in the D-League All-Stars. He actually took some shots, made some layups and has a good drive. Yes, he also jumped like 12 feet into the air for an awesome alley-oop.

Pha Q
03-04-2009, 03:36 PM
HE WILL BEAT LEBRONZE NEXT YEAR IN THE DUNK CONTEST!!!:hammertime: :hammertime: :hammertime:

SCdac
03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
and to think this dude picked up a championship ring his first year in the league! :oldlol:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.fanhouse.com/media/2007/07/james-white-sombrero-180.jpg

Back then, I thought he would've been a good Spur, but there was really no room for (developing) him on that veteran-heavy squad.

TMac&Luther
03-23-2009, 03:45 PM
^^Thats nice.

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypics/images/y/you_fail-12825.jpg

Hoopman2612 where are you at....

Rockets to Sign White Through 2009-10

MARK BERMAN
HOUSTON - The Houston Rockets have agreed to sign guard/forward James White for the rest of this year and for the 2009-2010 season.

"He will sign the contract (Monday) and the deal includes next year as well," said Bill McCandless, White's agent.

The club had signed White to a pair of 10-day contracts. The second was to expire Tuesday.

He has played in one game so for Houston scoring five points with one steal and one blocked shot.

"This is a testament that hard work eventually pays off and James White has worked very hard," said Bill McCandless, White's agent.

"There were those who believed James might not be able to play in the NBA but he has really paid his dues which included playing a year in Europe."

McCandeless said White was able to show the Rockets what he is all about.

"It was a given James is a world-class athlete and the Rockets were really sold on all his all-around game and they believe, with some work, he can be a guy who can be in their rotation."

The Rockets signed White out of the NBA D-league where he was averaging 25.9 points for Anaheim.

"James decided in the D-league to use his athleticism and go to the basket instead of settling for the jumper which has been critical to his development," McCandless said.

Prior to that White played in seven games, starting two, for the San Antonio Spurs during the 2006-2007 season. During that stint White averaged 8.3 points a game.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/090323_rockets_sign_white

Well, I guess we know who next season's dunk contest favorite is.

bdreason
03-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Since signing James White the Rockets have rocketed (obvious pun intended) to 2nd place in the West!

Coincidence?

I think so.

OneMoreSucka
03-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, I guess we know who next season's dunk contest favorite is.
Lebron?

TMac&Luther
03-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Since signing James White the Rockets have rocketed (obvious pun intended) to 2nd place in the West!

Coincidence?

I think so.

:oldlol:

In all seriousness, nobody expected anything out of him this year....it's a deal for next year. Daryl Morey is proving that he's a great G.M. that plans ahead, White is Wafer insurance incase we can't bring him back. Morey has done a fantastic job of finding young unknown talent for cheap since he's gotten here.

The Rockets are just getting younger and more athletic as each year passes.

TMac&Luther
03-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Lebron?

White is a better leaper...if LeBron beats him, it's off popularity alone.

BallPhunk
03-23-2009, 04:00 PM
HE WILL BEAT LEBRONZE NEXT YEAR IN THE DUNK CONTEST!!!:hammertime: :hammertime: :hammertime:

You watch - I'm betting they find a way to keep him out of the competition, ESPECIALLY if LeBron actually is in.

DCL
03-23-2009, 04:01 PM
but if he got 26ppg in nbdl, his game can't be that sad. that league is full of former college guys who were at least decent in ncaa but just not good enough for the nba. looks like the coach was impressed. i'm interested to see what else he can do now. maybe he did finally get a jumper.

SCY
03-23-2009, 04:08 PM
White's J actually looked pretty damn smooth against Minny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt4iinc29Rw

bdreason
03-23-2009, 04:11 PM

That shot does look nice.

DCL
03-23-2009, 04:14 PM

whoah, is that him?

from the body language, he launched those with quite a bit self-confidence. didn't even look like he hesitated from that far out, which most bad shooters usually do in tendency.

TMac&Luther
03-23-2009, 04:36 PM
whoah, is that him?

from the body language, he launched those with quite a bit self-confidence. didn't even look like he hesitated from that far out, which most bad shooters usually do in tendency.

I tried to tell people earlier in this thread that the scouts said his jumper has improved greatly and was laughed at. (it's the whole reason why he's getting a 2nd shot at the NBA and why G.M.'s and NBA scouts showed interest) He obviously turned some heads in practice, because Morey isn't the kind of guy who'll just ink a player to a contract for next year after only signing 2 ten day contracts with the team. He hasn't even tried to resign Wafer yet and Wafer is producing. Houston obviously likes White's game.

Q.E.C
03-23-2009, 05:11 PM
whoah, is that him?

He was averaging like 26 points in D-League and his FG% was .549. His 3 point percentage was .368.

DCL
03-23-2009, 05:17 PM
well, there's no footage of him in nbdl although i'm sure most of us want to see. but we just two quick short plays from a youtube clip. it's really impossible to evaluate what level a player is at from any kind of video, much less a 20 second clip.

but a couple things can be assumed. that play was obviously drawn for him to come off the screen to receive the ball and shoot. he was already freed from his man when he was running towards the 3 point spot but was half a step short, so his intention must had been back there. okay, what can one make of this? well, the coach obviously drew that play for him to shoot the 3 in the first one, so obviously he showed enough in practice to have earned enough faith to even get a drawn up play like that.

also, when he shot it, his form did not look whack. not much to critique about. good mechanics, good elbows, good hop, and fair arc. and he launched that quickly without hesitation, almost with a little swagger. and for the second one, he drilled it with even had a hand flying at his face. looks like he made more than a few of those before.

hmmm.... interesting. he definitely does not look that one-dimensional anymore. interested to see what else he got...