PDA

View Full Version : Most physically gifted players in NBA History

Mikaiel
03-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Who is in your mind the most physically gifted player in NBA History ?

Things to consider : Size, weight, jumping ability, lateral movement, speed, quickness, body control.

My picks :

3. LeBron

6'9, something like 260 pounds, probably more, and he's still one of the fastest guys in the league. It's just not fair when a guy outweighs your center and can still outrun your point guard. He can catch alley-oops he has no business catching. He can make an opposing team look like a bunch of teenagers. He can overpower his defender and absorb contact easily once he's at the rim (which sometimes works against him btw). For his frame he also has excellent lateral mobility. He's one of the few guys who can actually guard all 5 positions.

2. Shaq

If LeBron can make the opposition look like teenagers, with Shaq, they look like a bunch of children. That guy was just huge. I'm sure if I met guys like Mutombo or Mourning I would be impressed by how huge they are, but put them next to Shaq and they're nothing. But what's insane about him wasn't how huge he was, it was all the things he could do at that weight. Big guys like that aren't supposed to be this quick or jump this high. Guys that big usually struggle to even get off the floor. And yet Shaq could catch insane alley-oops and even do 360 dunks. That's just crazy. His quickness was also unbelievable. Just watch his black tornado move. That's just not fair. He could overpower you like crazy and then before you knew it he was dunking the ball.

1. Wilt

I don't even know where to start. He was a track star despite being 7'1. He was an elite runner and high-jumper. He was amazingly strong. Just an amazing athlete. He was so amazing people come up with that "weak era" nonsense to justify his achievements. He was so amazing some NBA teams actually wanted him to make a comeback when he was over 50 years old ...

Of all his memories of Wilt Chamberlain, the one that stood out for Larry Brown happened long after Chamberlain's professional career had ended. On a summer day in the early 1980s, when Brown was coaching at UCLA, Chamberlain showed up at Pauley Pavilion to take part in one of the high-octane pickup games that the arena constantly attracted. "Magic Johnson used to run the games," Brown recalled Tuesday after hearing that Chamberlain, his friend, had died at 63, "and he called a couple of chintzy fouls and a goaltending on Wilt. "So Wilt said: 'There will be no more layups in this gym,' and he blocked every shot after that. That's the truth, I saw it. He didn't let one [of Johnson's] shots get to the rim." Chamberlain would have been in his mid-40s at the time.

Former Celtics guard K.C. Jones remembered his casual run-in with Wilt. "He stopped me dead in my tracks with his arm, hugged me and lifted me off the floor with my feet dangling," Jones said. "It scared the hell out of me. When I went to the free-throw line, my legs were still shaking. Wilt was the strongest guy and best athlete ever to play the game.

Several years after Wilt stopped playing, he toyed with the idea of a comeback. On the day he visited the Knicks' offices in Madison Square Garden, he talked to Red Holzman, then strode out to the elevator. When it opened, two deliverymen were struggling with a dolly piled high with boxes of office supplies, mostly letterheads and envelopes. The load was so heavy, the elevator had stopped maybe four inches below the floor level and now the deliverymen were huffing and puffing, but they couldn't raise the dolly high enough to get it on the floor level. After maybe two minutes of the deliverymen's huffing and puffing, Wilt, his biceps bulging in a tank top, peered down at them and intoned, "Gentlemen, maybe I can help." They stepped back, he stepped into the elevator, grabbed each end of the rope slung under the dolly and without much exertion, quickly lifted the dolly onto the floor level. Looking up in awe, the deliverymen said, "Thank you." Wilt said, "You're welcome." Wilt stepped into the elevator and rode down to the street level as another witness followed the two deliverymen toward the Knick offices and asked, "How much does all this weigh?" They quickly surveyed the stack of big boxes of office supplies. "Close to 600 pounds," one said.

JEFFERSON MONEY
03-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter (band geek), Artis Gilmore are like secondary.

Still think Shaq is ten times more gifted than Wilt is outta the womb, but those are the top 3 choices. Good work Mikhaiel.

It's actually quite impressive how many "mesomorphs" thrive in the NBA.

Dresta
03-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Shaq, no question.

The Magic Man
03-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Who is in your mind the most physically gifted player in NBA History ?

Things to consider : Size, weight, jumping ability, lateral movement, speed, quickness, body control.

My picks :

3. LeBron

6'9, something like 260 pounds, probably more, and he's still one of the fastest guys in the league. It's just not fair when a guy outweighs your center and can still outrun your point guard. He can catch alley-oops he has no business catching. He can make an opposing team look like a bunch of teenagers. He can overpower his defender and absorb contact easily once he's at the rim (which sometimes works against him btw). For his frame he also has excellent lateral mobility. He's one of the few guys who can actually guard all 5 positions.

2. Shaq

If LeBron can make the opposition look like teenagers, with Shaq, they look like a bunch of children. That guy was just huge. I'm sure if I met guys like Mutombo or Mourning I would be impressed by how huge they are, but put them next to Shaq and they're nothing. But what's insane about him wasn't how huge he was, it was all the things he could do at that weight. Big guys like that aren't supposed to be this quick or jump this high. Guys that big usually struggle to even get off the floor. And yet Shaq could catch insane alley-oops and even do 360 dunks. That's just crazy. His quickness was also unbelievable. Just watch his black tornado move. That's just not fair. He could overpower you like crazy and then before you knew it he was dunking the ball.

1. Wilt

I don't even know where to start. He was a track star despite being 7'1. He was an elite runner and high-jumper. He was amazingly strong. Just an amazing athlete. He was so amazing people come up with that "weak era" nonsense to justify his achievements. He was so amazing some NBA teams actually wanted him to make a comeback when he was over 50 years old ...

3. Agreed
2. Agreed
1. Disagreed - Weak Era for human beings, :lol .

I'd sub Iverson in there.

L.Kizzle
03-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Elgin Baylor
Spencer Haywood
George McGinnis
Gus Johnson
Amar'e Stoudamire
Shawn Kemp
Juluis Erving

OneMoreSucka
03-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Lebron, /thread

jrong
03-14-2009, 10:15 PM
LeBron without question.

White Chocolate
03-14-2009, 10:18 PM
The ones the OP mentioned definitely fit the criteria. Here are some more in no particular order:

1)Michael Jordan- 6'5" 200 ish, 42 inch vertical, amazing agility, could make a shot even after being bumped in mid air. Could also change hands and twist and turn in mid air.

2)Nate Robinson- 5'8" 190 or so, built like a tank, could have gone pro in football as well, an even higher vertical than Jordan, extremely quick and agile, and could probably f*ck up many bigger NBA players in a fight.

3)James White- 6'7" or so, can dunk with two hands from the foul line, and touch 13'0" I believe.

4)Dwight Howard- 6'10" 270ish, extremely explosive, and built like a tank.

Scott Pippen
03-14-2009, 10:19 PM
LeBron, Shaq, Wilt, Jordan, Barkley, Vince, Doc, Rodman, etc..

Human Error
03-14-2009, 10:20 PM
SHAQUILLE O'NEAL

And it's not even close.

White Chocolate
03-14-2009, 10:21 PM

Barkley isn't so much physically gifted, but he simply had the most heart of anyone on the court. He wasn't exactly a physical specimen.

JEFFERSON MONEY
Good choices but OP said "gifted" didn't he? So that would mean whatchya got from your 'rents prior to hard work on the court or in the gym room.

Howard most definitely belongs on the count of I've seen his girly man workout, and his delts grew from baseballs to spiked cannonballs in a matter of months.

Not so sure about White though. I heard he was a devout track athlete.

I don't see how Iverson belongs in this sentence at all. He straight up BUSTED his a$$ and proved mind over matter. Sewage clouding his Hampton town, h enever backed down giving it all all day errday. And that sh!t paid off you best believe.

Mateo
I'd say Kevin Garnett is the most physically gifted in NBA history, although I can see the argument for Shaquille and Chamberlain as well. Shaq would be included for his pure power and Garnett and Chamberlain for the incredible height/agility ratio they possess.

LeBron doesn't belong, in my opinion. He's tall, but not abnormally (in comparison to other NBA players). He's fast, but again not abnormally, even for players his size. What makes LeBron amazing is that he has the physique of a power forward but can play like a guard. This is because of his incredible ball handling skills (for his size), and to me ball handling is a skill, not a physical gift.

dajadeed
03-14-2009, 10:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoEWO5ypOPM

Scott Pippen
03-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Barkley isn't so much physically gifted, but he simply had the most heart of anyone on the court. He wasn't exactly a physical specimen.
Depends. In Philly he did some unbelievable things and in my honest opinion was more physically imposing than LeBron. He could bully guys like Horace Grant down low, get off his feet faster than anyone under the glass (similar to Rodman), and of course one of the strongest players in the NBA. Very explosive for his size (of course not as explosive as LeBron).

ruslan
03-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Allen Iverson needs to get more recognition.

White Chocolate
03-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Depends. In Philly he did some unbelievable things and in my honest opinion was more physically imposing than LeBron. He could bully guys like Horace Grant down low, get off his feet faster than anyone under the glass (similar to Rodman), and of course one of the strongest players in the NBA. Very explosive for his size (of course not as explosive as LeBron).

In that respect, you can make the argument in his defense. Thing is, Barkley wasn't exactly a muscle powerhouse. He was actually somewhat out of shape. He just happened to be athletic for his size, not to mention he was extremely strong.

Human Error
03-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Allen Iverson needs to get more recognition.
Are you kidding me? He's a kind of guy who does more with less, so I'd say he's the complete opposite to this topic.

Okay, you have two guys. One stands 7-1, weighs 340 lbs and can outrun and outjump anybody. The other is 6-0, 180 lbs. Who do you think would have a better chance at succeeding as a pro basketball player?

Scott Pippen
03-14-2009, 10:32 PM
In that respect, you can make the argument in his defense. Thing is, Barkley wasn't exactly a muscle powerhouse. He was actually somewhat out of shape. He just happened to be athletic for his size, not to mention he was extremely strong.
Yes I am referring more to the late 80s/early 90s version of Barkley, when he was in shape and before the injury problems and age factor. Of course we all have different opinions on "physically gifted."

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Qtvgei3Z-kk/RcjOzJR6QwI/AAAAAAAAAL8/g8DnV3pVoLo/s320/thejaunt_barkley.bmp

If anything I believe he needed more discipline at certain points in his career. He did not have to retire ringless in my honest opinion. :applause:

White Chocolate
03-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Yes I am referring more to the late 80s/early 90s version of Barkley, when he was in shape and before the injury problems and age factor. Of course we all have different opinions on "physically gifted."

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Qtvgei3Z-kk/RcjOzJR6QwI/AAAAAAAAAL8/g8DnV3pVoLo/s320/thejaunt_barkley.bmp

If anything I believe he needed more discipline at certain points in his career. He did not have to retire ringless in my honest opinion. :applause:

I'm guessing that picture was from '87 or '88. Definitely not a 90s picture. Discipline wasn't Charles' greatest strength.

Mikaiel
03-14-2009, 10:36 PM
James White doesn't belong on that list. Yeah he can jump. But what else ? He's not strong, not extremely quick/fast. There's more to athleticsm than just jumping really high.

And Allen Iverson ? WTF ? He was quick yeah sure. What else ? That's it. He does not belong on that list. I wouldn't even call him athletic.

LeBron doesn't belong, in my opinion. He's tall, but not abnormally (in comparison to other NBA players). He's fast, but again not abnormally, even for players his size.

What ? How many 6'9, 260 guys are as fast as him ? :wtf:

JEFFERSON MONEY
03-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Mik, AI posterized Camby and had a 40+ vertical his latter days in G-Town/early days as a Sixer. He also has some sort of extraordinary pain tolerance and his cardio is on par with Rip H.

But I agree he doezn't belong on list with same reasoning as Error

White Chocolate
03-14-2009, 10:38 PM
And Allen Iverson ? WTF ? He was quick yeah sure. What else ? That's it. He does not belong on that list. I wouldn't even call him athletic.

5'11" 160 pounds soaking wet. One of the fastest(possibly the fastest) and agile players in his prime. Could also dunk and is extremely cut.

Mateo
03-14-2009, 10:39 PM
5'11" 160 pounds soaking wet. One of the fastest(possibly the fastest) and agile players in his prime. Could also dunk and is extremely cut.

how would that make him physically gifted? how is being short and "can dunk" one of the most physically gifted in NBA history?

plowking
03-14-2009, 10:41 PM

So Shaq was doing the Vince Carter before Vince Carter.

H2whoa
03-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Rodney Stuckey

shaoyut
03-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Wow he was alot skinner then

momo
03-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Add hands to the list. Arm length. Vision.

Human Error
You Iverson fans need to stop not to make you look any dumber. Seriously. Iverson once was a unique athlete who's gifted in his own ways with his agility, jumping ability etc but no way he deserves to be mentioned along with the likes of Shaq or LeBron.

White Chocolate
how would that make him physically gifted? how is being short and "can dunk" one of the most physically gifted in NBA history?

One of the fastest and agile players of his time. Extremely athletic, excellent individual player, and also in great physical shape. All this for a sub 6 footer.

White Chocolate
03-14-2009, 10:48 PM
But Iverson isn't as strong as Nate Robinson. So after all in order it should look like,

1. Nate Robinson
2. Spud Webb
3. Allen Iverson

Iverson once was a unique athlete who's gifted in his own ways with his agility, jumping ability etc but no way he deserves to be mentioned along with the likes of Shaq or LeBron.

AI's physical gifts are far different than Shaq and LeBron. Shaq is known for his incredible strength and LeBron for his build, and his overall athleticism. AI has shown us he's physically gifted.

JEFFERSON MONEY
03-14-2009, 10:49 PM
One of the fastest and agile players of his time. Extremely athletic, excellent individual player, and also in great physical shape. All this for a sub 6 footer.

YOUR LAST SENTENCE MAKES NO FREAKIN' SENSE IN CONJUNCTION WITH "fastest and agile/extremely athletic/physical shape" Stop this nonsense, my god. You're smarter than this.

Richie2k6
03-14-2009, 10:53 PM
- One of the fastest players, if not the fastest, in NBA history
- 40+ inch vertical in his younger days
- Plays 40+ minutes easily
- Insane body control in the air and on the grand
- Lighting fast reflexes (Dribbling, stealing)
- Doing what he's doing 3 months away from 34 years old

Yeah, he's one of the most physically gifted ever. Not top 3, but he's up there.

Mikaiel
03-14-2009, 10:59 PM
AI really doesn't belong on that list. Show me just one play of AI where you can say "Oh man, only him could have done that play, that was incredible". A play made on athletic ability for the most part.

He was one of the quickest guys to play in this league, but that's it. Well he also had great stamina. But his lateral mobility wasn't even great for a guy as quick as he is. He lacked strength. In his younger days he could jump but he rarely displayed his vertical. Even a guy like Jordan Formar has a insane vertical, but nobody would call him athletic.

Flashbeanie
03-15-2009, 01:09 AM
the most physically gifted players would be someone who has comparable size to Shaq with the lightning quick agility/explosiveness of a small guard? Why, because that combination of size and body movements/control probably puts the most stress on the body. I argue against Shaq because he cannot take a small guard off the dribble. He probably can't dunk between his legs (when he was younger, he had a very weak vertical and couldn't jump over a pencil).

On the other hand, Olajuwon had the handles of a guard and is not much smaller than Shaq. Wilt would be another candidate. Both are slightly smaller than Shaq.

Soundwave
03-15-2009, 01:12 AM
I don't know if I'd consider Robinson "physically" gifted.

He's athletically gifted no question ... but his physical stature if anything is on the negative side.

Shaq, Dwight, Jordan, LeBron, Dominque, Vince Carter, Pippen, Kobe, Shawn Kemp, come to mind for me. Those are physical freaks of nature.

Mdog1
03-15-2009, 01:18 AM
We are talking about humans here so IMO it has to be Nate Robinson. If we are talking about machines it is either Shaq, James, Jordan.

DeuceWallaces
03-15-2009, 01:21 AM
I say Shaq. No one that big, that quick, and that strong.

Flashbeanie
03-15-2009, 01:27 AM
Obviously because Shaq is a center he is naturally stronger than most players. There are quicker bigs than Shaq. If he were so quick he would be an elite defender. Quickness has to be weighted more heavily than strength. I'd still pick the Bigs who can guard point guards -- Olajuwon. If Shaq played soccer like Olajuwon, he would likely not be as good.

OldSchoolBBall
03-15-2009, 01:29 AM

Barkley was certainly an elite athlete -- 280 pounds at his peak, yet could run like a gazelle and was incredibly agile, with a 38" vert capable of jamming on anyone. And his 270-280 pounds was a lot of fat, too, not like, say, Lebron. It's much harder to retain speed and leaping ability with extra fat than it is with extra muscle.

ProfessorMurder
03-15-2009, 01:56 AM
Two that need to be mentioned:

Karl Malone: the man had like 6 ounces of body fat.

Larry Johnson: (pre back injury) He was amazing no doubt about it. If he didn't get hurt he would've been one of the greats.

OldSchoolBBall
03-15-2009, 02:11 AM
Larry Johnson: (pre back injury) He was amazing no doubt about it. If he didn't get hurt he would've been one of the greats.

He actually always struck me as the forerunner of Lebron more so than any other player in terms of body type and athleticism/skills at that size. If LJ grew up wanting to play a perimeter based game, he may have looked even more like Lebron:

http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/5/5c/Larry-Johnson.jpg

http://www.bballcity.com/images/2008/01/lebron-james.jpg

gpfanz
03-15-2009, 02:13 AM
Lebron :pimp:

Showtime
03-15-2009, 02:15 AM
From the point position: Baron Davis. I don't think there has ever been a point guard with his combination of size, speed, strength, and vert.

hito da god
03-15-2009, 02:20 AM
that man is not out of shape, he's a powerhouse of power. if that makes any sense.

shaq gets my vote for most physically gifted. if he had a better work ethic *whooo* his time in this league would have been magical.

ProfessorMurder
03-15-2009, 02:30 AM
He actually always struck me as the forerunner of Lebron more so than any other player in terms of body type and athleticism/skills at that size. If LJ grew up wanting to play a perimeter based game, he may have looked even more like Lebron:

http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/5/5c/Larry-Johnson.jpg

http://www.bballcity.com/images/2008/01/lebron-james.jpg

I totally agree. There are definitely some similarities between the two.

Larry Johnson played intense basketball. He went all out, and was a great personality. If he and 'Zo hadn't hated each other so damn much then they would've been a great team.

xtn5021
03-15-2009, 03:57 AM
I'd say Shaq. Dude was a beast back in his well... thinner days?:confusedshrug:

jrong
03-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Spud Webb. Ok, maybe not, but you know you think Spud was awesome. Admit it.

TheWitness
03-15-2009, 06:52 AM
no matter how haters would deny it...

Lebron is the most Physically gifted player right now...

and included in the top 5 of all time!

monkeypox
03-15-2009, 07:04 AM
Wilt, all time. LeBron maybe some day.

Dudley
03-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Iverson should be in that list, he's so gifted.

TheWitness
03-15-2009, 08:38 AM
http://i.cnn.net/si/fannation/lebron-dwight.jpg

the two most physically gifted players this day...

allball
03-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Penny Hardaway

gibbo3000
03-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Anybody saying someone under 6' doesn't understand the question
Those guys would have struggled their whole lives because people would have told them they aren't physcally gifted enough, too short, too small
Do you realise how many guys are getting around that are iversons height and are quicker and jump higher, but couldn't get anywhere cos they aren't good enough

Back to the question;

The perfect physical basketballer would be 7 foot, run like the wind and jump and be strong

1. Wilt
Enough said about his athletic ability/track and field exploits

2. David Robinson
Could run the floor and did a 360 in a game, and extremely mucular

3a Shaq
Big, but not as good endurannce as others, couldn't play very long at a high pace, otherwise he would be higher

3b Olajuwon
Freakish athletisicm, but not as big and strong as the others

big baller
03-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Size, weight, jumping ability, lateral movement, speed, quickness, body control.

If your going by that, you HAVE to add Big Ben Wallace:

http://men.style.com/slideshows/mens/standalone/gq/feature/1106/athletes/00016f.jpg

6FT, 9in

240 Pounds.

Very big leaping ability.

Toizumi
03-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Most players I could think of are already mentioned. But what about Shawn Marion and Sottie Pippen. Both very athletic and they have suprisingly long arms. Not buffed, but both very strong and fast and they both have good hops.

gibbo3000
03-15-2009, 10:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKVqpXl3M18&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDL4mRUKe-4

and this at 7'1" 250 pounds

Dresta
03-15-2009, 10:54 AM
When Shaq came into the NBA he was 7'2 310 pounds enormously strong and had a 35inch vert. He was also extremely quick and agile. No one else comes close.

East_Stone_Ya
03-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Eddie Robinson?:D

L.Kizzle
03-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Elgin Baylor
Spencer Haywood
George McGinnis
Gus Johnson
Amar'e Stoudamire
Shawn Kemp
Juluis Erving
Um ...

Sir Charles
03-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Charles Barkley should be there...6`5 ft PF and 284-252 lbs...39 inch vertical leap in his prime. Billy Cunningham said Charles could stand on one leg at 284 lbs (clearly overweight) and Dunk the Ball taking no steps.

I`ve never seen a Stronger Little Man or a Faster Big Man...He was a 6`5 Shaq with everything else....in his set of Skills..:applause: :bowdown:

Ralph Sampson also underrated here...7`4 ft....as Quick and Agil as a SG.

liverpooty
03-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Gerald Wallace is a gifted athlete, but it definately comes down to James, Howard, Shaq, and maybe even Dominique Wilkins.

Automajic23
03-16-2009, 11:05 AM
AI really doesn't belong on that list. Show me just one play of AI where you can say "Oh man, only him could have done that play, that was incredible". A play made on athletic ability for the most part.

He was one of the quickest guys to play in this league, but that's it. Well he also had great stamina. But his lateral mobility wasn't even great for a guy as quick as he is. He lacked strength. In his younger days he could jump but he rarely displayed his vertical. Even a guy like Jordan Formar has a insane vertical, but nobody would call him athletic.

witness to farmar jumping out the gym, he's caught a few oops and 2 handed them down on televised reg season games.

In my time (23 yrs old) I would have to say shaq was one of the most physically gifted, also notable shawn kemp, Rodman, Ben Wallace.

Currently have to give it to Dwight Howard and LeBron. Although physically LeBron doesn't look like MUCH, the dude is 6'9 260+. The extraordinary vertical, skillset, and ability to guard the 1-5 don't really account for his physical specs, his physical specs account for those.

daballa13
03-16-2009, 12:10 PM
http://www.minnesotascore.com/articles/images/BrockLesnar.jpg

"After leaving the WWE to find actual competition, Lesnar decided to try his hand at football and tried out for the Minnesota Vikings. Brock's giant frame made him a perfect prospect for football. Lesnar's stats when he was at training camp included a 475lb bench press, 695lb squat, 4.7 second forty-yard dash, 10 foot standing broad jump, and a 36 1/2 inch vertical leap. All while weighing in at a staggering 290lbs.

To put some of those numbers in perspective, Emmit Smith, Vince Young, and Jerry Rice did not run the forty as fast as Brock did."

mattevans11
03-16-2009, 12:54 PM

YOU ARE DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!! this man built a career on outworking the opponent....his success had nothing to do with physical advantages over his opponents. im not talking about hard work in the gym....i am talking about hustle during games.

mhg88
03-16-2009, 01:00 PM
YOU ARE DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!! this man built a career on outworking the opponent....his success had nothing to do with physical advantages over his opponents. im not talking about hard work in the gym....i am talking about hustle during games.

I wouldn't say it had nothing to do with it. Rodman was fast as hell, jumped high, and he was strong for his size with good lower body strength that helped dislodge taller guys. He definitely relied on some of his physical attributes.

mattevans11
03-16-2009, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't say it had nothing to do with it. Rodman was fast as hell, jumped high, and he was strong for his size with good lower body strength that helped dislodge taller guys. He definitely relied on some of his physical attributes.

i would actually say it had very little to do with it. he often times did what he did against guy that were way more tooled than he was. he spent hours upon hours studying how the ball comes off the rim on different shooter's shots. Someone that is physically gifted should be able to show up and dominate based on that. DENNIS RODMAN NEVER DID THIS...... He simply out hustled his opponent 99% of the time (the other 1% he was drunk/suspended or whatever) i watched his whole career..... he was not an amazing physical speciman AT ALL.

KenneBell
03-16-2009, 01:10 PM
i would actually say it had very little to do with it. he often times did what he did against guy that were way more tooled than he was. he spent hours upon hours studying how the ball comes off the rim on different shooter's shots. Someone that is physically gifted should be able to show up and dominate based on that. DENNIS RODMAN NEVER DID THIS...... He simply out hustled his opponent 99% of the time (the other 1% he was drunk/suspended or whatever) i watched his whole career..... he was not an amazing physical speciman AT ALL.
Phil Jackson wouldn't agree with you.

Mikaiel
03-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Rodman WAS physically gifted. Not many guys could do some of the things he did. He could jump multiple times to get a rebound, by tapping it to himself, not many guys can do it as well as he did.

And he could get drunk as hell one night and grab 18 rebounds the next day, now if that's not being physically gifted I don't know what is :oldlol:

anthonyRandolph
03-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Charles Barkley should be there...6`5 ft PF and 284-252 lbs...39 inch vertical leap in his prime. Billy Cunningham said Charles could stand on one leg at 284 lbs (clearly overweight) and Dunk the Ball taking no steps.

I`ve never seen a Stronger Little Man or a Faster Big Man...He was a 6`5 Shaq with everything else....in his set of Skills..:applause: :bowdown:

Ralph Sampson also underrated here...7`4 ft....as Quick and Agil as a SG.
Damn , I didn't know barkley had hops like that , imagine if he was inshape .

mattevans11
03-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Rodman WAS physically gifted. Not many guys could do some of the things he did. He could jump multiple times to get a rebound, by tapping it to himself, not many guys can do it as well as he did.

And he could get drunk as hell one night and grab 18 rebounds the next day, now if that's not being physically gifted I don't know what is :oldlol:

he was not totally not gifted physically, but he should not be considered on an all time gifted list........ that is all i am saying........

that being said......i would go with bron for sure.....built like karl malone and plays like a jordan/magic crossbreed. NOW THAT IS GIFTED.

i was not around to see wilt, but i have to question what of these stories should be put in the "legend" category. some just seem a little bit odd to be totally true.

iTruWarrior
03-16-2009, 02:23 PM
LeBron James and Shaq are the 1st ones that come to mind

Showtime
03-16-2009, 02:39 PM
I know it gets old seeing his name in discussions, but Jordan had amazing physical gifts. He worked hard to reach his physical peak, but he had amazing stamina, very low body fat, strength, quickness, speed, jumping ability, and HUGE HANDS. The man had freakishly large hands.

Sir Charles
03-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Damn , I didn't know barkley had hops like that , imagine if he was inshape .

He was in shape...from around 1989 to 1994....just not consistantly there rest of his career...:D

JEFFERSON MONEY
03-16-2009, 03:45 PM
He was in shape...from around 1989 to 1994....just not consistantly there rest of his career...:D

I love you.

Sir Charles
03-16-2009, 03:47 PM
I love you.

:ohwell:

andgar923
03-16-2009, 04:20 PM

"After leaving the WWE to find actual competition, Lesnar decided to try his hand at football and tried out for the Minnesota Vikings. Brock's giant frame made him a perfect prospect for football. Lesnar's stats when he was at training camp included a 475lb bench press, 695lb squat, 4.7 second forty-yard dash, 10 foot standing broad jump, and a 36 1/2 inch vertical leap. All while weighing in at a staggering 290lbs.

To put some of those numbers in perspective, Emmit Smith, Vince Young, and Jerry Rice did not run the forty as fast as Brock did."
WTF?

Damn!!!!

rawimpact
03-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Seeing a 300+ lb man able to get up high for lobs and completely dominate is just amazing. Seeing him run and have the speed he does is just extraordinary. Someone that size with so much muscle and able to do all of the above is the most physically gifted player in the NBA.

RoseCity07
03-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Michael Jordan- On top of his ridiculous athleticism, he almost never got injured, had the huge hands so he could palm the ball, and his hang time was off the charts.

Jordan possessed all the athletic gifts that 5 different players combinied would have. Perfect height, perfect speed, jumping ability, hand size.

Jasper
03-16-2009, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=JEFFERSON MONEY]Still think Shaq is ten times more gifted than Wilt is outta the womb, but those are the top 3 choices. Good work Mikhaiel.

QUOTE]

You obviously didn't watch Shaq play college basketball.

Naturally gifted player - Dr. J , I'm going to put Bron 2nd.
(Bron honed his basketball skills at an early age , but all of the talent is based on a naturally gifted athlete)

lolwut
03-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Brock Lesnar is not as fast as Vince Young. Vince ran a 4.5 40.

Mdog1
03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Michael Jordan- On top of his ridiculous athleticism, he almost never got injured, had the huge hands so he could palm the ball, and his hang time was off the charts.

Jordan possessed all the athletic gifts that 5 different players combinied would have. Perfect height, perfect speed, jumping ability, hand size.
There is no such thing as hang time. You are either going up or going down and there is ntohing in between.

Mikaiel
03-16-2009, 06:11 PM
There is no such thing as hang time. You are either going up or going down and there is ntohing in between.

Hang time = Time spent in the air ? :confusedshrug:

Mdog1
03-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Hang time = Time spent in the air ? :confusedshrug:
No that is called something else completely. I am pretty sure that time spent in the air could be called time spent in the air. But hang time refers to floating or hovering, and it is just not humanly possible.

mattevans11
03-16-2009, 06:27 PM
No that is called something else completely. I am pretty sure that time spent in the air could be called time spent in the air. But hang time refers to floating or hovering, and it is just not humanly possible.

looks like someone watches sport science:confusedshrug:

Mdog1
03-16-2009, 06:32 PM
looks like someone watches sport science:confusedshrug:
Yes I do lol.

Fatal9
03-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Lebron for me but I think his agility and ability to change direction is noticeably slower since his rookie and sophomore years. What he lost in speed he gained in strength though.

Detroit
03-16-2009, 07:12 PM
dwight/lebron

halffttime
03-16-2009, 07:33 PM
see rip hamilton..

LA_Showtime
03-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Shawn Kemp

big baller
03-16-2009, 08:00 PM

Too bad he got cut in the pre season..

CoryThaGr8
03-16-2009, 08:27 PM
didnt emmit young and rice run all in the 4.5 range

andgar923
03-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Brock Lesnar is not as fast as Vince Young. Vince ran a 4.5 40.

Vince is nowhere as big as Brock (no homo.... or maybe)

Richie2k6
03-16-2009, 09:04 PM
see rip hamilton..
All Rip really has that's worth mentioning is sprinting speed (which is very good, but not all-time good) and stamina.

Godfather
03-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Dennis Rodman

Charles Barkley

Shaq

LeBron James

Nate Robinson

-Also Nate, Dennis and LeBron are chiseled for a reason...they didn't just get that way they had to work for it
-Not saying Charles and Shaq didn't work hard it just seemed that their athletic prowess was ridiculous in comparison to their body types

VeeCee15
03-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Vince Carter
Shaq

The Rest.

Sorry but Lebron is an amazing bball player but he's not in a class of his own. Not even close.

Lebron's draft profile listed him as an elite athlete but not out of this world.

He cannot jump like VC nor can he jump like MJ. His hops are inferior and he is 6'9.

From an athletic/size standpoint..I am pretty sure someone like JOE ALEXANDER can out jump Lebron.

Mdog1
03-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Vince Carter
Shaq

The Rest.

Sorry but Lebron is an amazing bball player but he's not in a class of his own. Not even close.

Lebron's draft profile listed him as an elite athlete but not out of this world.

He cannot jump like VC nor can he jump like MJ. His hops are inferior and he is 6'9.

From an athletic/size standpoint..I am pretty sure someone like JOE ALEXANDER can out jump Lebron.
But jumping is not all that athletecism is. James is as agile as a guard, strong as a C, size of a PF and can jump through the roof. Sure he may not have a 50 inch vertical, but all of the other things make him a great athlete.

shawbryant
03-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Don't only focus on big size man when it comes to athletic or somewhat, You guys forgot one man! Nate Robison.

inclinerator
03-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Vince Carter
Shaq

The Rest.

lol

Diesel J
03-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Vince Carter
Shaq

The Rest.

There is more to athleticism than just jumping.:no:

Randy
03-17-2009, 02:58 PM
3)James White- 6'7" or so, can dunk with two hands from the foul line, and touch 13'0" I believe.

James White is a track and field jumper; he's a strictly one-footed jumper who lacks strength and quickness. Sure he can jump from far away but that's about it.

LA_Showtime
03-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Charles Barkley. The dude was out of shape for the majority of his career and he still put up impressive numbers. I wonder if LeBron would have been compared to Charles Barkley had Barkley been in better shape...

DwadeOverLebron
03-17-2009, 03:34 PM
SHAQ!

in terms of natural god given athleticism HANDS DOWN!

i remember watching a espn classic between lsu and alabama

shaq and chris jackson vs a young latrel and robert horry

shaq destroyed! i believe he was only a sophmore and physically he looked 7'1 295 with about 5-7% body fat.

i remember watching the mcdonalds all american game with shaq also, and he was physically just over whelming, i'm wondering if he wasn't part of some covert military experiment his dad who is a general in the military was a part of. i also heard yao was conceived from a hamster using the DNA of top two female and male basketball players

:wtf:

anyways shaq is by far the most impressive athletic speciman EVER in the history of man kind, he can metabolize a hoho into 30 grams of protein

:violin:

mattevans11
03-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Vince Carter
Shaq

The Rest.

:banghead: :banghead: :hammerhead: :banghead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

WOW!!!!! i just lost some IQ points reading this one.......... to think vince carter and Jordan are more freakishly athletic than Lebron....... Lebron does what they do carrying way more weight as far as jumping...... Lebron is truly the FREAK..... just watch him move on the court and you realize that most guys his size cant even dream of this.......

vince and jordan are comparable athletically, along with a few others

Lebron is the first of his kind....... just to clarify, dont be an idiot and think that vince carter is more physically gifted than bron

if you told bron he could switch bodies with vince i think he would decline

and then ask vince if he would liek to switch bodies with bron.... he would accept before you finished your question.