PDA

View Full Version : How good will Dwight Howard be in his prime if he's not already in it now?

White Chocolate
03-16-2009, 02:53 AM
My friend thinks current Dwight is better than prime Shaq, which resulted in me laughing in his face and telling him to watch old Shaq clips. Anyway, assuming Dwight isn't in his prime now(which he probably isn't), how good do you think he will be in his prime? I figure he will be a poor man's Olajuwon or poor man's Shaq.

sandwiches
03-16-2009, 02:57 AM
Olaujuwon and Shaq had skills that Dwight can only dream of. Personally I think this is his plateau. You were right to laugh in your friend's face.

DuMa
03-16-2009, 03:00 AM
he can definitely have a better offensive game but he will always need good outside shooters to give him a chance in the lane.

bdreason
03-16-2009, 03:01 AM
Patrick Ewingish prime.

Ewing's best season:

28.6 PPG on 55%
11 RBP
4 BPG
1 SPG

ZeN
03-16-2009, 03:03 AM
I was thinking he was gonna go nutz when he had 11 rebounds in todays game....

He merely ended with 20 rebounds:oldlol:

White Chocolate
03-16-2009, 03:03 AM
Patrick Ewingish prime.

Ewing's best season:

28.6 PPG on 55%
11 RBP
4 BPG
1 SPG

Barkley and Ewing should have been #1 and #2 that year in MVP voting.

bdreason
03-16-2009, 03:04 AM
or maybe more like a DRobinson type prime:

One of DRob's best seasons:

25.6 PPg on 55%
13 RPG
3.9 BPG
1.5 SPG

White Chocolate
03-16-2009, 03:10 AM
or maybe more like a DRobinson type prime:

One of DRob's best seasons:

25.6 PPg on 55%
13 RPG
3.9 BPG
1.5 SPG

Everything except the points seem to be good IMO. I don't think Dwight has the offensive versatility to average 25 PPG. Shaq got to the foul line 13 times a game in his prime, 11 and change for Admiral, and only 8 for Dream.

The one thing these guys have on Dwight is they could score in so many ways. Shaq had his hook shot, not to mention he simply overpowered anyone, even while being double and even triple teamed.

Admiral had the athleticism of a swingman and could dominant in the paint or from the perimeter with his jump shot.

Dream was so smooth he could simply fake you out, and he could also shoot.

Dwight can't shoot and his offensive game is not that versatile.

Force
03-16-2009, 03:12 AM
He's nowhere near a prime Shaq at this point. LOL @ that idea. There is more to the game than just numbers.

Dwight will still get better. He needs to learn how to pass the ball though. He's much shorter than Shaq so I don't know if he's ever going to have that court vision and passing ability, but his passing will get better than it is now.

joma11
03-16-2009, 04:18 AM
a bit better than kevin willis at peak

oh the horror
03-16-2009, 04:27 AM
My friend thinks current Dwight is better than prime Shaq, which resulted in me laughing in his face and telling him to watch old Shaq clips. Anyway, assuming Dwight isn't in his prime now(which he probably isn't), how good do you think he will be in his prime? I figure he will be a poor man's Olajuwon or poor man's Shaq.

Let me put it to you like this....He wont even be as GOOD as prime Shaq, when he finally reaches his OWN prime years.

How old is your friend? Im CURIOUS.

Sriracha
03-16-2009, 06:06 AM
Even if Dwight doesn't improve and just having the same number, he still owns the rest of the league. Shaq, Admiral, Dream....there's no time machine for them to come back boys.

Nash-tastic
03-16-2009, 06:40 AM
No offence, but your fren is a f*cking moron

halffttime
03-16-2009, 06:44 AM
i forgot how sick shaq was back in the days until i saw his stats against the kings back in like 2002.. he was putting up like 40ppg, 15rpg for a whole series in the playoffs...

White Chocolate
03-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Let me put it to you like this....He wont even be as GOOD as prime Shaq, when he finally reaches his OWN prime years.

How old is your friend? Im CURIOUS.

21 in a few months. He's an uneducated basketball fan. He also said Dennis Rodman sucked.

lolwut
03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
He's great, he'll get better, but he will never be as good as Shaq or Hakeem were.

D-Rose
03-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Anyone think Bynum/Al Jeff in their primes will be > Dwight in his prime? :confusedshrug:

Papaya Petee
03-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Anyone think Bynum/Al Jeff in their primes will be > Dwight in his prime? :confusedshrug:

Bynum if he will be the first option and will be 100% healthy in his prime might have a chance.

Al Jefferson not a chance

Tainted Sword
03-16-2009, 06:57 PM
A Bynum without injury has a better post game than Dwight. A few years of developement and Maturing could push him over Dwight.

BigTicket
03-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Dwight needs to learn to pass, otherwise this is as good as he ever gets. If he does learn to pass though he could get significantly better, maybe even as good as prime Shaq (he's nowhere near that now).

Al Thornton
03-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Bynum if he will be the first option and will be 100% healthy in his prime might have a chance.

Al Jefferson not a chance

Al Jeff is already better than D. imo. And same as you about Bynum.

Brunch@Five
03-16-2009, 07:08 PM
biggest thing seperating Dwight from Shaq, Hakeem etc is his passing game. As long as he continues to average worse than 2 assists per game (roughly), he'll never be in their class.

craiye
03-16-2009, 07:42 PM
It's tough for me to imagine Dwight averaging more than 23 points/game. If he decides to further improve his game it will have to come from improving his passing game and his FT%.

If he can improve his FT% he may be a 24+ PPG scorer. Otherwise, he'll be a 20-22 PPG like he is now. He doesn't have the offensive repetoire to cover up bad FT shooting like Shaq can/could.

iTruWarrior
03-16-2009, 08:40 PM
He's already in his prime, he won't improve. He's been in the league for like 5-6 years? And he still has no post moves.

He's going where his body is going and his body is at his prime right now. Which means he's in his prime right now

I find the Shaq comparison just plain stupid.

liverpooty
03-16-2009, 08:44 PM
I find the Al Jefferson is already better than Dwight comment hilarious.

Lakers13
03-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Thats funny, Prime Shaq would use Dwight as floss.

I believe Dwight's in his prime, his passing will get better, but 5-6 years in and still hasn't develop a post game?

I can't tell you much but Al, but with Bynum, if he continues to develop and stay injury free and continue to learn under Kareem, he has the potential to be scary, especially since he can shoot free throws.

iTruWarrior
03-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Thats funny, Prime Shaq would use Dwight as floss.

I believe Dwight's in his prime, his passing will get better, but 5-6 years in and still hasn't develop a post game?

I can't tell you much but Al, but with Bynum, if he continues to develop and stay injury free and continue to learn under Kareem, he has the potential to be scary, especially since he can shoot free throws.
Agreed buddy. Bynum could very well surpass him soon. By the way, dude what's your take on the best center currently?

Lakers13
03-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Agreed buddy. Bynum could very well surpass him soon. By the way, dude what's your take on the best center currently?

Statically it's Dwight Howard, but I would take Yao Ming because he can hurt you with his free throwing and he has a better offensive arsenal to choose from. Too bad he has endurance and feet issues.

iTruWarrior
03-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Statically it's Dwight Howard, but I would take Yao Ming because he can hurt you with his free throwing and he has a better offensive arsenal to choose from. Too bad he has endurance and feet issues.
So if you are talking about stats, you would take Dwight. But just overall Yao would be better?

Kind of remain me of Kobe-LeBron, LeBron has the stats Kobe has the rest.

wozzler
03-16-2009, 09:39 PM
I think people like to forget how athletic Shaq was, he is/was 4 inches taller than Dwight, probably 50ish pounds on him and nearly maintained the same jumping skills as Dwight. Shaqs body was made to play the 5 with an unfair advantage, shaq has/had a lot stronger lower body making it easy for him to barge people with his ass. Dwight is more gym strong rather than natural brute strength and most of his strength is in his upper body.

After looking at the obvious physical advantages Shaq has, you still have to remember that Shaq was in a complete different league to Dwight when it came to skills also.

visirale
03-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Dwight is younger than Lebron. If Lebron isn't in his prime (He isn't) then neither is Dwight. If Dwight can improve his free-throws, his PPG will go up close to 30. He already has a ridiculous amount of 20-20 games... I think he can only go up from here.

iTruWarrior
03-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Dwight is younger than Lebron. If Lebron isn't in his prime (He isn't) then neither is Dwight. If Dwight can improve his free-throws, his PPG will go up close to 30. He already has a ridiculous amount of 20-20 games... I think he can only go up from here.
I don't think so. LeBron actually has skills in his game, example ball handling, passing, slashing ability.

Both do have terrible touch though. Dwight's game is FULLY based on athletic ability. Seriously, where do you think he would be once his athleticism goes away?

He would be useless, He would be another Kwame Brown and just be a post defender and a rebounder.

Kiddlovesnets
03-16-2009, 10:26 PM
The only offensive skill Dwight currently has is dunking. He's merely a dunker...

Lakers13
03-16-2009, 10:32 PM
So if you are talking about stats, you would take Dwight. But just overall Yao would be better?

Kind of remain me of Kobe-LeBron, LeBron has the stats Kobe has the rest.

Exactly. If you look at the stats he brings you on a consistent basis, he's obviously #1. But Yao brings things that aren't gonna always show up on the stat sheets, a lot like Kobe.

iTruWarrior
03-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Exactly. If you look at the stats he brings you on a consistent basis, he's obviously #1. But Yao brings things that aren't gonna always show up on the stat sheets, a lot like Kobe.
Whoa what? so is Yao better? or...? Just curious man. Not annoying you, I am a Rocket fan so I would like to know your opinion from a Laker fan.

Lakers13
03-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Whoa what? so is Yao better? or...? Just curious man. Not annoying you, I am a Rocket fan so I would like to know your opinion from a Laker fan.

IMO, right now Yao is better. Not taking anything from Dwight, that dude is a beast, but he doesn't have a great skill set yet. Can he develop a post up game, become a decent free thrower, and consistently make a 5-10 feet mid range shot ( if he does have this correct me if i'm wrong, he just seems to dunk and put back bricks for lay ups from what I've seen)? It's possible, but overall, Yao's offensive skill set is far and beyond greater then Dwight's, and their D is on par with each other, but I'd give Dwight a slight edge because he's more aggressive.

iTruWarrior
03-16-2009, 10:46 PM
IMO, right now Yao is better. Not taking anything from Dwight, that dude is a beast, but he doesn't have a great skill set yet. Can he develop a post up game, become a decent free thrower, and consistently make a 5-10 feet mid range shot ( if he does have this correct me if i'm wrong, he just seems to dunk and put back bricks for lay ups from what I've seen)? It's possible, but overall, Yao's offensive skill set is far and beyond greater then Dwight's, and their D is on par with each other, but I'd give Dwight a slight edge because he's more aggressive.
Great response from a great poster :cheers:

visirale
03-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Put skills aside. Evaluate what he does for the team and the ability he gives a team to win a game.

He doesn't need to really develop an outside game. He takes up the paint. If a team single teams him, he will be deadly in the paint. If they double team him, someone else is open, and on the Magic team, that usually means a 3 point shot is about to be made.

As the Magic's system evolves more over the coming years, it will only get stronger. He is the anchor to our system...

I know he'll never put up Shaqtastic numbers, but I think he has the potential to be just as essential to his team, and maybe even get the rings to prove it.

iTruWarrior
03-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Put skills aside. Evaluate what he does for the team and the ability he gives a team to win a game.

He doesn't need to really develop an outside game. He takes up the paint. If a team single teams him, he will be deadly in the paint. If they double team him, someone else is open, and on the Magic team, that usually means a 3 point shot is about to be made.

As the Magic's system evolves more over the coming years, it will only get stronger. He is the anchor to our system...

I know he'll never put up Shaqtastic numbers, but I think he has the potential to be just as essential to his team, and maybe even get the rings to prove it.
He'll need to develop outside of the paint, his size is nothing similar to Shaq's. Shaq's size is why he is so dominant and why nobody can play him 1 on 1 even to this day.

Shaq is like 60 pounds heavier and 5 inches taller than Howard. Howard needs to develop outside of the paint.

shawbryant
03-17-2009, 12:08 AM
D.Howard is considered as a dominant big guy cause this is an era in which there are not so many excellent big guys as there were in 90s.

VeeCee15
03-17-2009, 01:11 AM
Dwight is a dominant "big man" at 6'10.

Anyway pretty much speaks volumes about his potentially..he wont' sniff shaq who was 7'1 far stronger, bigger and more agile.

Bynum will not be as good as Dwight imo; he's like a third the athlete Dwight is but 2 inches taller.

Yao is actually a lot better than Dwight..cept he gets a third of the foul calls Dwight gets which is BS.

joe
03-17-2009, 02:00 AM
When you talk about a players prime, it's important to differentiate between athletic prime and their "true" prime.

I'd argue that Dwight is currently in his athletic prime. I can't imagine that he'll ever jump higher than he does right now. And in fact, his athletic skills will probably decline from here on out.

It's the little things he learns along the way which will compose how devastating his "true" prime is. If he adds a simple right-handed hook next season, it might not change his game much. But if he then adds a lefty hook the following year, followed by a greater understanding of how to box out for a rebound, followed by much-improved footwork in the post, it'll add up. What you'll then see is a 28-29 year old Dwight Howard in his true prime; Not able to completely dominate athletically anymore, but able to use a mix of athletic skill and "true" basketball skill to still compete at a superstar level, despite waning athletic ability.

What most people fail to understand is that learning these skills is a process. Many bash Dwight for not having these skills already, but when you've dominated with your strength, speed, and quickness for your entire life, why would you ever learn an eighteen-foot jumper? What you must judge by is whether or not Dwight picks up these skills as he ages; If he does, his true prime might not be for another six to eight years.

oh the horror
03-17-2009, 02:02 AM
I hate to say it again, and again, but the comparisons this kid gets to Shaq, is KILLING it for himself.

If he was smart, he'd seperate himself from that 'Superman' stuff already, and just play HIS game.

Hes great, but the comparison leaves a lot to be craved when they do that.

highwhey
03-17-2009, 02:27 AM
He's not going to be Prime Shaq good, but he'll still be dominant. Prime Shaq was a god out there, and well there are only about 3-4 players that were better than Prime shaq. So it's nothing big if D12 doesn't become as good as Shaq, he's still perfectly capable of being a #1 option on a team and winning a title. I can see him winning 2-3 titles if he is in the right team. Although with the rising of LeBron, Wade, CP3, etc, it's going to be tough for him to carry a team all the way by himself unless he's paired with one of them.

Bodin
03-17-2009, 05:38 AM
When you talk about a players prime, it's important to differentiate between athletic prime and their "true" prime.

I'd argue that Dwight is currently in his athletic prime. I can't imagine that he'll ever jump higher than he does right now. And in fact, his athletic skills will probably decline from here on out.

It's the little things he learns along the way which will compose how devastating his "true" prime is. If he adds a simple right-handed hook next season, it might not change his game much. But if he then adds a lefty hook the following year, followed by a greater understanding of how to box out for a rebound, followed by much-improved footwork in the post, it'll add up. What you'll then see is a 28-29 year old Dwight Howard in his true prime; Not able to completely dominate athletically anymore, but able to use a mix of athletic skill and "true" basketball skill to still compete at a superstar level, despite waning athletic ability.

What most people fail to understand is that learning these skills is a process. Many bash Dwight for not having these skills already, but when you've dominated with your strength, speed, and quickness for your entire life, why would you ever learn an eighteen-foot jumper? What you must judge by is whether or not Dwight picks up these skills as he ages; If he does, his true prime might not be for another six to eight years.

While I agree with you on the difference between physical primes and "true" primes. In which the "true" prime combines physical/athletic dominance with specific basketball skills. I don't think Dwight is ever going to be in the position will he will be forced to expand his skill set. Mainly I don't think he has the skills to develope a decent post game, or a mid-ranged jumper. Not enough pure skill to be as dominate as Shaq or Hakeem.

Sriracha
03-17-2009, 06:14 AM

Well said.

WildStyle
03-17-2009, 06:35 AM
How do you idiots think Dwight scores if he doesn't have a post game? He scores exclusively in the post. You don't know what the **** you are on about.

kumquat
03-17-2009, 06:47 AM
There's a difference between post play and scoring in the post.... when you're talking scoring around the bucket. Dwight has rudimentary post moves at best. i.e. his godawful hook shot everthing else is dunk or oop, otherwise it gets ugly. Compare that to guys like Duncan or Boozer, past masters Hakeem and McHale, no dwight doesn't have post play.

millwad
03-17-2009, 07:38 AM
I don't think Dwight is in his prime, he reminds me ALOT of Hakeem. Hakeem in his first year in the league was a monster but while he was getting older he learned the game better and while he got less athletic he improved his ballhandling, postmoves, his jumper, his defense etc etc....

I'm not saying that Young Hakeem=Dwight, I think young Hakeem was better but Dwight has every opportunity to work on his game and be one of the greats of basketball.

yeaaaman
03-17-2009, 07:45 AM
There's a difference between post play and scoring in the post.... when you're talking scoring around the bucket. Dwight has rudimentary post moves at best. i.e. his godawful hook shot everthing else is dunk or oop, otherwise it gets ugly. Compare that to guys like Duncan or Boozer, past masters Hakeem and McHale, no dwight doesn't have post play.

Either you're not being honest or you're not informed. He definitely is not Duncan or Boozer when it comes to post moves, but he does have a lot more variety of moves now. You're actually a moron I'm noticing you said he doesn't have post play. Compare him to the players he's playing against and you see him displaying his post play. He shows he actually has a few counter moves, is starting to pass on the move which is resulting in more open threes that are also cleaner looks. He often uses his left hand, has shown he can spin both direcrections so if his post play was so ridiculously bad why is he dominating so much. I know he's strong but this is the nba, his opponents are no weaklings out there. He has a great mix of strength, speed, and athleticism that combined with some basic moves makes a good player. Combined with developing moves we can see why he's now a dominant player. I mean, you want to talk about post play, talk about hustle and sealing off your opponent like a real big man should. He runs down the court, hits the opponent and seals position near the rim. If half the other big men in the league knew how to do that they'd be alot better off for it. They're either not good enough to get the ball thrown into them in the post, they'd prefer to shoot jumpers or they don't have the SKILLS to take their man one on one with any sort of reliability.

Then again maybe your basing your assertion off of watching his ppg differential from this year to last rather than his actual play. Since as you said Dwight has no post play - well whatever the hell his play is and if his skills are so raw and non-existent, wouldn't it be quite easy to say he can improve? Well if its not post play, whatever he has its not a bad thing.

stephanieg
03-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Hakeem in his first year in the league was a monster but while he was getting older he learned the game better and while he got less athletic he improved his ballhandling, postmoves, his jumper, his defense etc etc....

I dunno, Hakeem looked mostly complete in the '86 finals to me. As far as skill set is concerned. Experience is something else.

Mamba
03-17-2009, 08:08 AM
dwight howard works out too much at the gym and doesn't really work on his post game.

compare this:

http://www.prodigalsonmagazine.com/free/DwightHoward1.jpg

to this

his shoulders are much wider, which isn't a bad thing, but seriously the game isn't al about muscle its also about technique

http://www.nba.com/media/DwightHowardRecapRaps300.jpg

kumquat
03-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Rant

settle down b*tch. Compared to the guys i mentioned dwight has no post moves. Now cry me a river.

yeaaaman
03-17-2009, 08:40 AM
settle down b*tch. Compared to the guys i mentioned dwight has no post moves. Now cry me a river.

Lol, I have to applaud you for a well thought out response

lilmarcgasol
03-17-2009, 10:00 AM
He's already in his prime, he won't improve. He's been in the league for like 5-6 years? And he still has no post moves.

He's going where his body is going and his body is at his prime right now. Which means he's in his prime right now

I find the Shaq comparison just plain stupid.
exactly. Dwight just isnt a hard worker at all and this is proven in his complete lack of offensive game despite being in the NBA 6 years and getting coached by Ewing.

In comparison, ill give you a hard worker.

Bynum only started playing ball in highschool, and was being trained by Kareem Abdul jabbar for 3 years. By putting in alot of hard work in his footwork, Bynum at 21 already has better post moves than the veteran Howard, who is like 24-25, will ever get.

Also passing game doesnt develop like Magic fans keep saying it will. You either have the vision to become a good passer or you dont but that is a talent that cant be taught. Dwight can become a smarter passer, making less dumb mistakes, but he wont just suddenly become a Duncan or Shaq level passer he just doesnt have the talent for it.

If Dwight decides to put in a lot of hard work and gets a post game and works on his freethrows he could be good. Otherwise I don't see him improving much more than he is now.

Blind yokels say Dwight has a legit post game. What they dont realize is that an ugly clanking hook shot, a drop step and a spin move that gets called for travel alot,plus a gimmicky clanking bank shot that goes in at 30%, does not constitute a strong post game. Try watching guys like Andrew Bynum, Tim Duncan, Al Jefferson and Luis Scola.

Sriracha
03-17-2009, 10:16 AM
The Lakers can keep the next G.O.A.T. Andrew Bynum. The Magic will be happy to take the lazyass Dwight Howard and his lack of offensive game. As fan we just want to support a competitive team and be in the hunt, because in the end only one team can win the championship while the rest look forward to the next season. :cheers:

When Howard can't jump and dunk anymore the Magic will suck and get another top pick. Thats when we all say Dwight who? And homo will create name like lil(insert rookie name) on ISH.

exactly. Dwight just isnt a hard worker at all and this is proven in his complete lack of offensive game despite being in the NBA 6 years and getting coached by Ewing.

Bynum only started playing ball in highschool, and was being trained by Kareem Abdul jabbar for 3 years. By putting in alot of hard work in his footwork, Bynum at 21 already has better post moves than the veteran Howard, who is like 24-25, will ever get.

Also passing game doesnt develop like Magic fans keep saying it will. You either have the vision to become a good passer or you dont but that is a talent that cant be taught. Dwight can become a smarter passer, making less dumb mistakes, but he wont just suddenly become a Duncan or Shaq level passer he just doesnt have the talent for it.

If Dwight decides to put in a lot of hard work and gets a post game and works on his freethrows he could be good. Otherwise I don't see him improving much more than he is now.

Blind yokels say Dwight has a legit post game. What they dont realize is that an ugly clanking hook shot, a drop step and a spin move that gets called for travel alot,plus a gimmicky clanking bank shot that goes in at 30%, does not constitute a strong post game. Try watching guys like Andrew Bynum, Tim Duncan, Al Jefferson and Luis Scola.

Take Your Lumps
03-17-2009, 10:22 AM
LOL....the Dwight hate is strong in this thread.

Truth is, all of you guys would bust a nut at the prospect of Howard joining your favorite team. :lol

VCMVP1551
03-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Dwight obviously has a post game. Not a great post game yet like Shaq, Hakeem, Kareem or Tim Duncan, but still he's pretty good down there.

His jump hook has become pretty good and he can shoot it with either hand. He'll often hit running hook shots as well. Dwight often catches the ball in the post turns and then attacks the basket. This often results in a foul or a dunk so this is another simple but effective move. Once in a while you'll see him catch the ball with his back to the basket and spin baseline. This can be a very effective move for him. He can also face the basket and spin on his drive, so if we can become more consistent with that he'll have a good amount of weapons.

He does like the spin and create space from his defender so he can go up and finish alley-oops. Shaq did this a lot in his prime. Don't forget that it takes a lot of skill on both ends to complete alley-oops. Not just finishing the play, but getting open for the pass. He'll also dunk anything close, he now gets a lot of baskets off of offensive rebounds as he's really improved in that area. That also takes skill.

He has found quite a few ways to score and no you don't just score off of athleticism, otherwise he wouldn't be averaging 5-6 more ppg than his sophomore year despite far more double teams. The move where he faces the basket and drives is based on his quickness and athleticism and so are a few of his others so as his athleticism fades those won't be as effective.

But his athleticism likely won't really decline for years. Shaq had far more injuries than Dwight and he was a lot bigger, yet he remained an excellent athlete up until about 30-31 years old. Hakeem Olajuwon kept his athleticism up until he was about 33 and David Robinson was very athletic up until his injury in the 1996-1997 when he was 31. Dwight is in tremendous shape, he isn't too heavy and he's had pretty much no injuries in his 5 year NBA career.

I wouldn't worry too much about Dwight not adding to his game. His offensive game is better than it was last season. More so than just the 0.3 extra ppg suggest. He does have to improve his passing, but even now all of the double teams he draws make his teammates better. His turnovers lately have been a concern too, but you can't expect a player to be perfect at 23. Especially a big man who entered the league very raw out of highschool. Big men usually take longer to develop.

Don't forget that Shaq had his best season when he was 27-28 years old(1999-2000) and he then had probably his second best season the following year. David Robinson's two best seasons came in the mid 90's when he was 28, 29 and Hakeem played his best basketball in the mid 90's when he was in his early 30's.

Dwight just turned 23, 2 months into this season. The fact that he's already averaging 21, 14 and 3 is amazing.

All Dwight needs to do is improve his passing and footwork. The latter will give help him with countermoves and the former will make his teammates even better.

As it is he's truly dominating the paint which is what every coach wants from his big men. He's top 5 in blocks per game, rebounds per game and FG% for the 2nd straight season. He's almost a lock to become just the 3rd player in NBA history to lead the league in blocks and rebounds in the same season. And he's almost a lock to win the defensive player of the year award.

His team is also on pace to win over 60 games and last season they already won 52 and got out of the first round.

I'm not sure what his numbers will be in his prime, but I'd imagine that he'll be the centerpiece of a lot of championship contending teams, he'll always be among the league leaders in blocks, rebounds and FG% and he'll continue to be a defensive player of the year candidate.

He's been a 20-20 machine for the last 2 seasons and no he's not in his prime. He'll most likely average in the 23-24 range in his prime as far as points, but I also expect him to be around 4 blocks per game eventually.

Dresta
03-17-2009, 11:08 AM
He's nothing like Olajuwon. He does sort of play a bit like a mini Shaq, with more hustle but much less skilled. They both try to power there way to the basket though.

AznTacoLover
03-17-2009, 11:13 AM
He does have some post moves. but not really good ones.. maybe devolpe a medium range jumpshoot. and a small hookshot.then he can improve his passing when he's gets double/triple teamed in the paint then pass to the open shooter.

hoopslife
03-17-2009, 12:03 PM

Were you trying to get almost every single fact wrong or are you just that ignorant..

visirale
03-17-2009, 12:35 PM
In this thread: People hating, who would take Dwight in a second over whoever they have.

I will say it. Dwight is better than Yao. Maybe not in the game (yet), but so far Yao has never been out of the first round, and has been plagued by injuries.

Talk to any GM in the league about which Center they would like to make a franchise player right now. Duncan is great, but he is aging and doesn't have too many years left.

I will say it again because I think it's lost on a lot of people... DWIGHT HOWARD IS 23 YEARS OLD!! He is not even close to his prime, athletic or otherwise.

lilmarcgasol
03-17-2009, 12:36 PM
what facts, Howard's age? who cares I dont. Wait, weren't they in the same draft? Look at the huge disadvantage Howard has to Bynum offensively. Footwork wise, post move wise, everything. Clearly shows Dwight is not working on his game no matter how hard you look at it. Adding a 30% bank shot in 6 years in the league is improvement on your offensive game? ok

lilmarcgasol
03-17-2009, 12:37 PM
In this thread: People hating, who would take Dwight in a second over whoever they have.

I will say it. Dwight is better than Yao. Maybe not in the game (yet), but so far Yao has never been out of the first round, and has been plagued by injuries.

Talk to any GM in the league about which Center they would like to make a franchise player right now. Duncan is great, but he is aging and doesn't have too many years left.

I will say it again because I think it's lost on a lot of people... DWIGHT HOWARD IS 23 YEARS OLD!! He is not even close to his prime, athletic or otherwise.
Hey wake up. In the East, Howard's biggest competition is Zydrunas Ilgausgas and Rasheed Wallace. Everytime he goes up against Rasheed Wallace, the only legit center in the east, he gets owned. Put Yao in the East he would probably be in the ECF every year.

LA_Showtime
03-17-2009, 12:39 PM
I wish that Dwight Howard had someone other than Patrick Ewing teaching him how to play. Shaquille O'Neal to the Magic?:D

millwad
03-17-2009, 12:40 PM
He's nothing like Olajuwon. He does sort of play a bit like a mini Shaq, with more hustle but much less skilled. They both try to power there way to the basket though.

Actually he reminded me a little of a young Olajuwon. Hakeem was a beast like Dwight when he just came from College. But on the other side Hakeem started to play basketball for real when he was 18 so that's why he developt some parts of his offensive game so late so my first comparison wasn't that good even though they both dominated with athletic as hell and btw, Hakeem was alot better then Dwight when they both were at Dwight's current age.

lilmarcgasol
03-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Scouting reports out of highschool said Dwight had NBA quality handles and jumper, and they forcast him as the next Kevin Garnett.

Scouts also said Tyson Chandler, Kwame Brown, and Darko Milicic had NBA quality jumpers. I wonder why their NBA quality jumpers and in Dwights case handles, all disappeared.

visirale
03-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Hey wake up. In the East, Howard's biggest competition is Zydrunas Ilgausgas and Rasheed Wallace. Everytime he goes up against Rasheed Wallace, the only legit center in the east, he gets owned. Put Yao in the East he would probably be in the ECF every year.
Seriously?

The Magic swept the Lakers and the Spurs this year. Which competition do you want us to beat in the west?

If Yao was in the East, he'd still fall on himself and get injured. Get your West homerism out of this thread please. Both conferences have strong points and weak points, and this season 3 of the 4 strongest teams are in the East, so you don't have too much room for argument there.

LA_Showtime
03-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Seriously?

The Magic swept the Lakers and the Spurs this year. Which competition do you want us to beat in the west?

If Yao was in the East, he'd still fall on himself and get injured. Get your West homerism out of this thread please. Both conferences have strong points and weak points, and this season 3 of the 4 strongest teams are in the East, so you don't have too much room for argument there.

Boston/LA/Cleveland
San Antonio/Utah
Orlando (sorry, without Nelson they aren't getting to the Finals)

millwad
03-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Seriously?

Please, Howard has no chance against Yao. He's been dominated by Yao and the Rockets since the day he entered the league.

Howard has faced Yao 8 times during his career, of these 8 times Yao has won 6 of the games.

Yao has been dominating Howard statswise to.

Yao's average against Howard: 24 points on 55% from the floor and 78% from the FT-line, 2.1 blocks, 9.8 rebounds, 1.3 assists and 0.6 steals.

Howard's average against Yao: 12.1 on 45% from the floor and 64% from the FT-line, 1.5 blocks, 9.8 rebounds, 0.8 assists and 1.5 steals.

Okey, some of you guys will say that some of the matchups are from when Howard just entered the league but even last year Dwight got outplayed vs Yao....

visirale
03-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Boston/LA/Cleveland
San Antonio/Utah
Orlando (sorry, without Nelson they aren't getting to the Finals)
Ok, you obviously haven't watched the Magic since they got Alston. We're #3 in the power rankings. This year we have Cleveland's number (that game wasn't close), 1-2 against Boston (They still need to get healthy) and 2-0 against LA.

We just embarassed Utah, and swept SA.

Try again, once you watch a game.

AllenIverson3
03-17-2009, 03:18 PM

Is your avy your friend? :lol

White Chocolate
03-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Is your avy your friend? :lol

:oldlol: No, but he's not far from the dude in terms of weight.