PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James and Kobe Bryant Named NBA players of the Week

Lebron23
03-18-2009, 10:39 PM
http://images.art.com/images/-/Lebron-James-Kobe-Bryant-Photograph-C10121545.jpeg

LeBron James

In four games during the week, James led the Cavs to a perfect 4-0 record with averages of 34.0 points, 10.8 assists, 8.8 rebounds, 2.8 blocks and 2.8 steals per game. James has now won the award 19 times in his career, including a career-best six times this season, three times in 2007-08, twice in 2006-07, five times in 2005-06 and on three occasions during the 2004-05 campaign.

Kobe Bryant

Bryant paced the Western Conference in scoring (28.5 ppg) and added 5.0 rebounds and 5.0 assists, leading the Lakers to a 3-1 week. In a 102-95 win over San Antonio on March 12, Bryant recorded 23 points and six assists as the Lakers clinched their 20th Pacific Division title and their 56th postseason appearance in 61 NBA seasons. This is Bryant's third Player of the Week Award this season.

Congratulations to LeBron James and Kobe Bryant for winning the NBA players of the week in their respective Conferences.

Diesel J
03-19-2009, 03:24 AM
Lebron also put up something like 9 rbs pg:bowdown:

Force
03-19-2009, 04:13 AM
Nice numbers from Kobe but damn, they look so unimpressive when compared with Lebrons freakish numbers. That is plain silly!

rox fa sho
03-19-2009, 04:19 AM
ehh, both overrated. id take chris paul and dwight howards performance's over those 2

not. its a joke ehh borat no? anyway, those 2 are ballin and they should be when its march and their teams palying for the best record now instead of a playoff spot.

jrong
03-19-2009, 04:33 AM
Does Sunday's game count toward last week or this week? Because Wade also went 3 - 0 last week, (not including Sunday, which seems like it should count toward this week not last week), and here were his lines:

48/6/12/4/3 (gamewinning steal/shot); 32/4/7/4/0; 50/10/9/4/2

That's an average of 43.3 pts, 6.7 rebs, 9.3 asts, 4 stls, and 1.7 blks (on 53.8% shooting for the week).

quasimoto
03-19-2009, 04:37 AM
Does Sunday's game count toward last week or this week? Because Wade also went 3 - 0 last week, (not including Sunday, which seems like it should count toward this week not last week), and here were his lines:

That's an average of 43.3 pts, 6.7 rebs, 9.3 asts, 4 stls, and 1.7 blks (on 53.8% shooting for the week).
Wait, are you implying that there are players other than Kobe and Lebron worth mentioning?

Lebron23
03-19-2009, 04:40 AM
Lebron also put up something like 9 rbs pg:bowdown:

And most importantly the Cavs won the Central Division title, and they are currently the best team in the NBA.

:applause: :rockon: :applause:

Diesel J
03-19-2009, 05:00 AM

yeah, sunday's games counted for last week. Someone on here had calculated both wade's and Lebron's for their 4 games from last week. here are the numbers for bother (we already know Lebrons)

Oops, I didn't know the Heat played today.

Wade this week : 37.0 points, 50.5 FG%, 6.0 rebounds, 7.8 assists, 3.3 steals, 1.5 blocks. Heat went 3-1.

LeBron this week : 34.0 points, 47.9 FG%, 8.8 rebounds, 10.8 assists, 2.8 steals, 2.8 blocks. Cavs went 4-0.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124571&page=8

LA_Showtime
03-19-2009, 09:06 AM
LeBron James' numbers make Kobe's look rather unimpressive lol... I swear man, LeBron's mom injected this kid with steroids from age 5-15. It's amazing how big and strong he is... and he's only 23.:eek:

NOHCP3
03-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Two best players in the game!

Silverbullit
03-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Kobe's numbers are below LeBrons season average :oldlol:

LA_Showtime
03-19-2009, 09:21 AM
http://images.art.com/images/-/Lebron-James-Kobe-Bryant-Photograph-C10121545.jpeg

LeBron James

Kobe Bryant

Congratulations to LeBron James and Kobe Bryant for winning the NBA players of the week in their respective Conferences.

I love that picture BTW. That was in Kobe's physical prime and LeBron still looks like a monster compared to him. Then you take into account that LeBron has gained like 10-15 pounds of muscle and has grown an inch and it's just amazing how much of a freak this guy is...

Heilige
03-19-2009, 09:25 AM
I love that picture BTW. That was in Kobe's physical prime and LeBron still looks like a monster compared to him. Then you take into account that LeBron has gained like 10-15 pounds of muscle and has grown an inch and it's just amazing how much of a freak this guy is...

When was Kobe in his physical prime?

LA_Showtime
03-19-2009, 09:26 AM
When was Kobe in his physical prime?

Right before he had that knee surgery in the summer of 2006.

Heilige
03-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Right before he had that knee surgery in the summer of 2006.

So the 2004-2005 season was his physical prime?

LA_Showtime
03-19-2009, 09:29 AM
So the 2004-2005 season was his physical prime?

I pretty much think he's been slowly declining physically since after that season, yes. He's adjusted accordingly though.

NBASTATMAN
03-19-2009, 09:37 AM

Lebron is a freak but still needs to add alot to his game. His post up offense is bad, his mid range game is not that good either.. Thank goodness he doesn't have those parts in his game.. If not than he would dominate more than Shaq did in his prime...

White Mamba
03-19-2009, 10:45 AM

So? the goal is to win, not get the ball everytime so you can put crazy numbers

I hope Kobe keep playing the same way.

Silverbullit
03-19-2009, 10:50 AM
So? the goal is to win, not get the ball everytime so you can put crazy numbers

I hope Kobe keep playing the same way.

Oh, LeBron puts crazy numbers AND wins.

White Mamba
03-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Oh, LeBron puts crazy numbers AND wins.

I have no problem with LeBron.

but if he puts crazy numbers that doesn't mean Kobe should put more than 28/5/5.

DoGGa
03-19-2009, 11:25 AM
I hate how people always tend to compare certain ball players to eachother..

Lebron James is a amazing player, a big stat guy, he does everything...But you cant forget his height and weight advantage over kobe

Kobe is 6'6 and 200lbs...and has seasons averages of 28 5,5 and 5..I dont see how this is bad for somebody his height and weight.

Lebron is 6'8...250lbs and his stats show..28. 7.5 and 7.

Thats 2 rebounds and 2 assists more per game...for somebody with a slight height advantage and a significant weight advantage..

I respect both players, They are both amazing.

But I'd rather have the ball in Kobe's hands come clutch time.

Allstar24
03-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Good for them but comparing their numbers is just stupid. Each player has a different role for their respective teams. Kobe has 2-3 other guys who are capable of scoring 20+ points. He plays with more talent, there's no reason for him to average numbers any higher than this.

DoGGa
03-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Good for them but comparing their numbers is just stupid. Each player has a different role for their respective teams. Kobe has 2-3 other guys who are capable of scoring 20+ points. He plays with more talent, there's no reason for him to average numbers any higher than this.

http://www.bonsaiassociation.be/word%20logo.jpg

PleezeBelieve
03-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Kobe could never put up LeBron numbers. Stop making excuses. :roll:

Hell, even with all that talent around him Kobe still can't shoot higher than LeBron's career average. :oldlol:

Meticode
03-19-2009, 11:41 AM
I think Chris Paul should have beat out Kobe for Player of the Week. He definitely got snubbed.

55.9% FG%/28.8PPG/9.8APG/6.8RPG/3.8SPG/95.1% FT%

...I'm sure some will make the argument Paul's team had a worse record, but the Lakers should have went 4-0. They lost to the 76ers at home which was an inexcusable lose. Plus Paul's numbers are far more superior to Kobe's this week.

DoGGa
03-19-2009, 11:42 AM
exactly.

Kobe shoots, Lebron more often just stuffs that ball or goes to the hole for a lay in.

Lebron's shot is no where near kobe's.

Mdog1
03-19-2009, 12:53 PM
exactly.

Kobe shoots, Lebron more often just stuffs that ball or goes to the hole for a lay in.

So you are saying that we should punish LeBron for putting up more points on less shots and less attempts because he is a physical monster and can get to the hole and Kobe can't? You are trying to imply that Kobe shooting so many jumpers makes him better than LeBron because LeBron takes higher quality shots? Please take a step away from the keyboard. Please!

To the guy who said Kobe is more clutch then James:

LeBron James: 17-50 (34.0%), with 6 assists and 4 turnovers.
Kobe Bryant: 14-56 (25.0%), with 1 assist and 5 turnovers.
Dwyane Wade: 11-40 (27.5%), with 3 assists and 2 turnovers.

Not only does LeBron have more game winning shots over these six seasons than Wade and Kobe, his 17th are the most in the league. Furthermore, his 34.0% shooting in these situations is higher than that of both Bryant and Wade (who both fall below the league average of 29.8% in game-winning shot situations). James also has more assists in such situations, and fewer turnovers than Kobe. Lastly, since April 13th, 2006, LeBron is an astonishing 13-30 (41.9%) in game winning situations.

http://82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm

Automajic23
03-19-2009, 12:54 PM
exactly.

:no: LeBron has SIGNIFICANTLY improved his 3ball, no wonder he's dropping 3pt daggers all over the court this season. Your top statement however is correct; why settle for the jumper when you can go to the rack for a dunk? Pretty sure you are just a kobe homer from the way you post.

I will however agree with the fact that kobe does not need to post lebronesque numbers because he does have players around him that can score 20+ ppg. In fact, I think if Kobe wanted to he could outscore lebron just because he has more moves, polished moves, and a better midrange jumper in addition to a 3ball that's near as good. I do not however believe Kobe can beat his rebound/assist numbers. Lebrons court vision is just much better, and yes lebron does has a significant physical advantage to grab boards however that is no excuse. Barkley could grab boards on much bigger opposition, why can't kobe? :confusedshrug: Also I should note, LeBron scores based on necessity, kobe does it when he feels like ball hogging, or doesn't believe in his team. This comment you can believe will wake up debates from everywhere, I'm sure I'll hear all the garbage about bla bla lebron defers to his teammates and kobe has the killer instict to win, stfu please Lebron wins games the right way for the most part, utilizing his team until it becomes necessary to take matters into his own hands.

Again people should just stop comparing kobe and lebron. Just because they are 2 prolific scorers and players does not mean they have the same roles on their team, and the same desires. Hell, they don't even play the same position.

Meticode
03-19-2009, 01:03 PM
:no: LeBron has SIGNIFICANTLY improved his 3ball, no wonder he's dropping 3pt daggers all over the court this season.

I disagree. He's just had a good month and a half. Before then he was below 30% all season. He has months like this all the time. Don't worry, he'll "un-improve" his three ball in the playoffs more than likely like he usually does. And this is coming from a Cavs fan I kid you not. Just because he had a couple of crazy shooting nights from three where he took horrible shots and they dropped doesn't mean he's improved anything from there. He's still not up to his best season percentage wise. He's hovering around 33% this season, his best season was 35%.

lazerface
03-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Kobe is 6'6 and 200lbs...and has seasons averages of 28 5,5 and 5..I dont see how this is bad for somebody his height and weight.

why are you getting defensive about this?? nobody in this thread said it was bad.

LA_Showtime
03-19-2009, 01:12 PM

That's because LeBron has to do more for his team. According to some Cavalier fans, LeBron has no help.

Mdog1
03-19-2009, 01:16 PM
That's because LeBron has to do more for his team. According to some Cavalier fans, LeBron has no help.
LeBron has less help not no help. Mo is a very good sidekick, IMO he is not a legit number two option, but whatever that is a different discussion.

Kobes numbers are fine. If he averaged that for his career then people would be all over his jock strap more then they already are. Yes they are not as good as James career numbers, but not a lot of peoples are.

DoGGa
03-19-2009, 01:18 PM
So if you were the coach, you'd still give Lebron the ball in the last 2 minutes of the game instead of kobe ? Hell, even Lebron would give the ball to kobe 8 out of the 10 situations.

Sorry, I'd give it to the best closer in the game today, just happens to be Kobe Bryant.

Not taking anything away from Lebrons greatness tho, I love watching that guy each and every time.

Mdog1
03-19-2009, 01:26 PM
So if you were the coach, you'd still give Lebron the ball in the last 2 minutes of the game instead of kobe ? Hell, even Lebron would give the ball to kobe 8 out of the 10 situations.

Sorry, I'd give it to the best closer in the game today, just happens to be Kobe Bryant.

Not taking anything away from Lebrons greatness tho, I love watching that guy each and every time.

Not only does LeBron have more game winning shots over these six seasons than Wade and Kobe, his 17th are the most in the league. Furthermore, his 34.0% shooting in these situations is higher than that of both Bryant and Wade (who both fall below the league average of 29.8% in game-winning shot situations). James also has more assists in such situations, and fewer turnovers than Kobe. Lastly, since April 13th, 2006, LeBron is an astonishing 13-30 (41.9%) in game winning situations.

Automajic23
03-19-2009, 01:29 PM

Damn right I give Lebron the ball, not because I ALWAYS expect him to directly put it in the hole, but he understands perfectly how to get the ball in the hole, make sense? LeBron will seek every way to score, and he will almost always pick the highest % option; he may not jack up the shot himself, but he will find an open man or a really good look if he cannot take the shot. That's where trusting your teammates plays a large role, and if you want any team to be successful you have to give them chances to taste the glory of making an impact. People think LeBron is so great because of his own play; he's actually great because of what he can do with and for the people around him

DoGGa
03-19-2009, 01:34 PM
^^ yes that does make sense.

But leave that as it is...Right now Im talking about closing the game ..Winning..Taking that shot yourself.

For example: Every Time I watch Lebron take a free throw in the final 2 minutes, I seriously hold my breath..Nobody can't deny Lebron being a Monster..I mean...When that L-train is comming at ya, you better get out of the way cause its hardly impossible to stop him..True that.

I just dont have as much faith in His jumper as I have in kobe's.

Mdog1
03-19-2009, 01:38 PM

I have less faith in Kobe than I have in almost any regular Joe in the league. He shoots 4.8% less than the league average.

Automajic23
03-19-2009, 01:42 PM
^^ yes that does make sense.

But leave that as it is...Right now Im talking about closing the game ..Winning..Taking that shot yourself.

For example: Every Time I watch Lebron take a free throw in the final 2 minutes, I seriously hold my breath..Nobody can't deny Lebron being a Monster..I mean...When that L-train is comming at ya, you better get out of the way cause its hardly impossible to stop him..True that.

I just dont have as much faith in His jumper as I have in kobe's.

yeah me neither, and I cringe when he's at the free throw line in the final minutes/seconds of the game. But for the most part I have not been disappointed. Lebrons only let the cavs down from the stripe at the end when they are down > 4. But in games where the deficit is < 2 or their lead is < 2, lebron has usually hit them.

Kobe for sure is the better shooter even when you combine the 3 (midrange/3/paint), but I don't think his % is > Lebrons in relevance to Lebrons % > Kobes in terms of ability to make the right play to get the best look possible to score. It's preference really, and a mental choice of whether you like lebron or kobe more for a team.

Mikaiel
03-19-2009, 01:44 PM
For example: Every Time I watch Lebron take a free throw in the final 2 minutes, I seriously hold my breath...

Me too. But he does make them when it counts. When the game gets close, he magically becomes a good FT shooter. And a good 3 point shooter too.

Meticode
03-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Me too. But he does make them when it counts. When the game gets close, he magically becomes a good FT shooter. And a good 3 point shooter too.

Yes, it's magical! I think it's that pixie dust he throws up at the beginning of games!

http://pixiedustcs.com/images/pixiegal.jpg

Laker-Junky
03-19-2009, 01:53 PM
What's funny about these two guys is that they've sort of taken bits and pieces from each other and it's made them better players. Kobe has always been bashed for not making his teammates better, but he's really improved in that area the last couple of seasons. When LeBron first came into the league, he didn't have the same type of killer instinct he has now.

I don't see why people can't like both of them. People should just appreciate these guys before they retire.:pimp:

EllEffEll
03-19-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't see why people can't like both of them.

:applause:

That said, maturity doesn't often go over well in here.