PDA

View Full Version : All-time worst calls in NBA history

tastystaci
03-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Obviously NBA officiating is horrendous, and you could pick out a horrible call every few minutes. I'm talking significant, game costing calls that come to mind. I have three that still urk the s*** out of me.

#3. Any call that Tim Donoghy made against the Suns in game 3 of the '07 conference finals vs the Spurs. (May you burn in hell you piece of s***)

#2. Bill Laimbeer's phantom foul call against Kareem in game 6 of the '88 finals that cost the Pistons a championsip. I'm a Bulls fan, who hates Laimbeer, but this was shameful.

#1. Dwayne Wade's phantom call in game 5 of the '06 finals vs. the Mavs. Dirk makes a clutch, legendary, Bird-esque 18 footer to take the lead, and the corrupt officials make an unforgivable call that puts Wade to the free throw line for the win. Dallas would've had a 3-2 advantage going to dallas for the final two games. I curse you til the day you die David Stern. You took my favorite sport and turned it into the WWE. :mad:

Ron Mexico
03-27-2009, 04:54 PM
every call in the 4th quarter of game 3 of the 2006 finals

oh the horror
03-27-2009, 04:54 PM
I curse you til the day you die David Stern. You took my favorite sport and turned it into the WWE. :mad:

Im tired of "fans" claiming this is going on.

Some of you need to stop watching ball, if this is how you feel. Its nonsense, and untrue.

mark
03-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Obviously NBA officiating is horrendous, and you could pick out a horrible call every few minutes. I'm talking significant, game costing calls that come to mind. I have three that still urk the s*** out of me.

#3. Any call that Tim Donoghy made against the Suns in game 3 of the '07 conference finals vs the Spurs. (May you burn in hell you piece of s***)

#2. Bill Laimbeer's phantom foul call against Kareem in game 6 of the '88 finals that cost the Pistons a championsip. I'm a Bulls fan, who hates Laimbeer, but this was shameful.

#1. Dwayne Wade's phantom call in game 5 of the '06 finals vs. the Mavs. Dirk makes a clutch, legendary, Bird-esque 18 footer to take the lead, and the corrupt officials make an unforgivable call that puts Wade to the free throw line for the win. Dallas would've had a 3-2 advantage going to dallas for the final two games. I curse you til the day you die David Stern. You took my favorite sport and turned it into the WWE. :mad:

the idiotic moronic NBA refs that counted the bucket when the Celts opposing team had 6 on the floor at the same time, and wow... scored against the rule regulation 5 of the Celts.

Ron Mexico
03-27-2009, 04:57 PM

Some of you need to stop watching ball, if this is how you feel. Its nonsense, and untrue.

of course the NBA isn't scripted like the WWE. lets not go overbaord...

but there is no doubt refs were instructed to try and extend playoff series by making biased calls. the nba makes millions off every playoff game, so of course they want as many as possible.

KobeRules24
03-27-2009, 04:57 PM

i agree, if some fans think the NBA is fixed because their teams s*ck and cant win sh!t they should just stop watching basketball but those are the same guys that pay 200 dollars a year for the NBA league pass. bunch of morons

mark
03-27-2009, 04:58 PM
of course the NBA isn't scripted like the WWE. lets not go overbaord...

but there is no doubt refs were instructed to try and extend playoff series by making biased calls. the nba makes millions off every playoff game, so of course they want as many as possible.

definitely definitely Sacramento L.A. series, I bet that commisioner Stern pocketed off of that one big time.

Mikaiel
03-27-2009, 04:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y8nI1PPYOk

That was just horrible :ohwell:

Toizumi
03-27-2009, 05:00 PM
the idiotic moronic NBA refs that counted the bucket when the Celts opposing team had 6 on the floor at the same time, and wow... scored against the rule regulation 5 of the Celts.

Not a bad call,they just followed the rules.. Can't blame the refs.. maybe they should've counted the players on the floor before they put the ball back into play, but they did everything according to the (flawed) book. That's why they're changing the rules now.

Ron Mexico
03-27-2009, 05:01 PM
that vid is from game 6

game 5 was played in miami

and it says "heat lead 3-2" on the screen

Scott Pippen
03-27-2009, 05:02 PM

Don't forget this.

http://www.nba.com/media/bulls/pippen_foul_050518.jpg

Ron Mexico
03-27-2009, 05:04 PM
what about brent barry during the decisive game of the la-sa series last spring? i forgot exactly what happened, but i remember that LA was unfairly favored.

tastystaci
03-27-2009, 05:05 PM
i agree, if some fans think the NBA is fixed because their teams s*ck and cant win sh!t they should just stop watching basketball but those are the same guys that pay 200 dollars a year for the NBA league pass. bunch of morons

Ah...Tim Donoghy is in jail for like 20 years because of it. Get your head out of your butthole. :lol It's a fact of life. Our only defense is to rant in places like this.

tastystaci
03-27-2009, 05:06 PM
that vid is from game 6

true. this isn't the game i was speaking of. This call was just the cherry on top.

Mikaiel
03-27-2009, 05:08 PM
that vid is from game 6

Oops, I thought he was talking about game 6. Read too fast :ohwell:

Don't forget this.

Probably the most horrible call I've ever seen, but it didn't have a huge significance. The Knicks didn't win the title, and I can't imagine the Bulls beating the Rockets that year.

tastystaci
03-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Here's the Game 5 call I was speaking of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7nnMjk03b4&NR=1

watch it from the 4:15 mark on. And savor Dirk's Bird-esque shot while your at it :lol

First watch the back court violation. Then watch the push off that sends some dude flying, then watch as nobody touches him on the way to the rim. Please argue this isn't rigged. And when you do, tell me how high you are.

jrong
03-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Here's the Game 5 call I was speaking of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7nnMjk03b4&NR=1

watch it from the 4:15 mark on. And savor Dirk's Bird-esque shot while your at it :lol

First watch the back court violation. Then watch the push off that sends some dude flying, then watch as nobody touches him on the way to the rim. Please argue this isn't rigged. And when you do, tell me how high you are.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-28-305/The-Salvatore-Side-of-the-Story---Crucified--in-the-2006-Finals.html

Scroll down to see a video of the play that Truehoop obtained from an angle that was never shown in any of the replays at the time. Although I can't get the vid to play now, so I hope it's just my computer, because you really should watch it. It shows pretty obviously that there was a definite push, enough to affect the shot.

Now whether it should have been called in that situation or not is another matter. There are definitely worse fouls on final plays have been let go before.

But, previously, when I saw this particular play, I thought that it could have gone either way, as far as whether or not a foul even occurred. But, it really couldn't. There was a foul on the play. It's just a question of whether it should have been whistled or not.

Mikaiel
03-27-2009, 06:31 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-28-305/The-Salvatore-Side-of-the-Story---Crucified--in-the-2006-Finals.html

Scroll down to see a video of the play that Truehoop obtained from an angle that was never shown in any of the replays at the time. Although I can't get the vid to play now, so I hope it's just my computer, because you really should watch it. It shows pretty obviously that there was a definite push, enough to affect the shot.

Now whether it should have been called in that situation or not is another matter. There are definitely worse fouls on final plays have been let go before.

But, previously, when I saw this particular play, I thought that it could have gone either way, as far as whether or not a foul even occurred. But, it really couldn't. There was a foul on the play. It's just a question of whether it should have been whistled or not.

When you need to wait a couple of days to get an extra angle on the play to see where the foul was, it's really questionable ...

Also, that Josh Howard timeout was really ridiculous. Players/coaches do that all the time, but that time they granted them the timeout between the 2 FTs, that was just retarded.

jrong
03-27-2009, 06:41 PM
When you need to wait a couple of days to get an extra angle on the play to see where the foul was, it's really questionable ...

Also, that Josh Howard timeout was really ridiculous. Players/coaches do that all the time, but that time they granted them the timeout between the 2 FTs, that was just retarded.

Yes, forcing them to take timeout was a case of the officials being stupidly legalistic about the rules....

As far as the video, for which the link unfortunately now seems to be broken, it should have been released to ESPN (etc.) the day after the game when it was all people were talking about. Because it does show an evident foul, (although some would still refuse to acknowledge it).

Like I said, the only debate then is whether refs should call it in that situation. But, had the video come out right afterwards, the league, refs, and the player would have been spared at least some of the scorn that was heaped on them.

Mikaiel
03-27-2009, 06:47 PM
IIRC it was a foul. But should it have been called ? I don't know. I've watched a huge number of games where they let that type of contact go at the end of a game. If the refs were consistent with those calls I would have no problem with it, but I guess fans have been saying this since ... well, forever I guess.

Shaquille O'Neal
03-27-2009, 06:49 PM

The entire Game 6 of the 2002 WCF against the Kings.

/thread

jrong
03-27-2009, 07:01 PM
IIRC it was a foul. But should it have been called ? I don't know. I've watched a huge number of games where they let that type of contact go at the end of a game. If the refs were consistent with those calls I would have no problem with it, but I guess fans have been saying this since ... well, forever I guess.

Totally agree with you. Like I said, I was just irritated that the NBA didn't release this tape at the time. I could care less about the referees' or the NBA's reputation, but our player's rep was publically battered too, and this clip shows that that was unwarranted.

Of course, people could make the argument that he was the recipient of several other controversial calls in the series too. But this play is the lynchpin of the case against him from this series, and without it, that case is much weaker.

JustinJDW
03-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Kings and Lakers. The Kings got cheated out of a Championship. The Lakers 3rd Championship should have never happened.

Worse No-Call in recent Playoff History.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xKGHvReOkI&feature=related

Joe Crawford was the Ref of that Game too. Ugh, figures. Why the hell is the NBA still letting this guy Ref Spurs Games anyway?

tastystaci
03-27-2009, 07:21 PM

Who are you? David Stern's assistant. If you need a slow motion, special angle to see contact, you really think that would warrant a call with 1.9 seconds left? First, it's clearly a backcourt violation. Wade caught the ball with his left foot in the front court, you can see the way he bounces when he catches the ball that he knew he f'd up. Then there is the MJ pushoff, which if you are NOT gonna call contact like that, how would you in a million years call a hand check(which is at worst, all that Dirk did, but even that's debatable) after a guy just forced his way through 4 mavs trying to be a hero when he had no clear path. The guy was off balance not because of contact, but because HE WAS OUT OF CONTROL. The NBA bailed this piece of s**** out, anybody who doesn't see that is living in fantasy land.

tastystaci
03-27-2009, 07:23 PM

/thread

Agreed. That was another obvious hose job by the NBA's corrupt officials.

raiderfan19
03-27-2009, 07:32 PM
the thing about the wade call is if you are gonna make the argument that the at most extremely light push was a foul how do you not call the ridiculous push off on terry?

my whole problem with that series and its always been my problem with the way the nba officiates dirk is he receives by far the most contact of any perimeter player in the nba away from the ball and refs just let it go. You cant shove people 15 feet from the basket before they get the ball.(or when they have it) Even before he made the last shot he made, posey fouled him 3 times. Hes not in the post. You cant touch him much less shove him. They did that the whole series.(the haslem steal in game 3 was another example of this) That whole series was a repetition of dirk gets mugged or alonzo morning fouls someone on one end with no call wade falls down and goes to the ft line on the other end.

west
03-27-2009, 07:33 PM

/thread
From Shaq himself:eek: :eek: :eek:

Mikaiel
03-27-2009, 07:36 PM
First, it's clearly a backcourt violation

No it's not :no:

raiderfan19
03-27-2009, 07:37 PM
to be fair though, the wade thing in game 5 was not a backcourt violation. For it to be a backcourt violation hed have to establish possession in the front court then go to the back court. He never established himself in the front court with the ball.

tastystaci
03-27-2009, 07:42 PM
This is the quote from the article:

Part of the rule states that, "frontcourt/backcourt status is not attained until a player with the ball has established a positive position in either half during a throw-in in the last 2 minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period."

Because Wade was in the air when he caught the ball, league spokesman Tim Frank said his position wasn't determined until he landed. And since another rule allows for the ball to be thrown into the backcourt at that time, there was no violation.

The rule states that you have positive position, nothing about two feet. They are trying to dig there way out by saying he didn't catch the ball with a foot in the front court, they claim he caught the ball in mid air. Please look at the replay and tell me if he caught the ball with both feet in the air. I promise you will see he didn't.

BMOGEFan
03-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Lebron being fouled at the top of the key, takes 3 steps, dunks, AND 1!!!!

jrong
03-27-2009, 07:58 PM
The NBA bailed this piece of s**** out, anybody who doesn't see that is living in fantasy land.

You must not spend much time on Mavericks message boards or reading the Dallas press. A major topic in both places this year has been wondering whether the Mavs could have a realistic chance of luring that piece of s*** away from Miami in 2010 and bringing him to Dallas.

Godfather
03-27-2009, 08:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y8nI1PPYOk

That was just horrible :ohwell:

How was that not an offensive foul...

#1SportsFan86
03-27-2009, 08:09 PM
That so called "time out" the refs said Josh Howard called in the finals, it still makes me mad till this day because even referee Joey Crawford said Josh didn't call a "time out" but it end up costing the Mavs the game.

tastystaci
03-27-2009, 08:11 PM
You must not spend much time on Mavericks message boards or reading the Dallas press. A major topic in both places this year has been wondering whether the Mavs could have a realistic chance of luring that piece of s*** away from Miami and bringing him to Dallas.

I don't read Mav's blogs because I'm not a Mav's fan. And who wouldn't want this guy on their squad. He can committ a backcourt violation, push Jason Terry to the ground, then get bailed out with an imaginarey foul after an out-of-control move past 4 defenders, all in one play. And be a hero for it . Sign me up :bowdown:

tastystaci
03-27-2009, 08:16 PM
That so called "time out" the refs said Josh Howard called in the finals, it still makes me mad till this day because even referee Joey Crawford said Josh didn't call a "time out" but it end up costing the Mavs the game.

That play happened right after the one I have been ranting about. It cost them the opportunity to move the ball to half court. Fact is they were still down 1 with 1.9 left because of the #1 worst hose job in NBA history. The Phantom Wade Foul.

loot
03-27-2009, 08:17 PM
I KNEW this thread would be crowded with Mavs fans.

http://www.deaddog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sand-2din-2dmy-2d******.jpg

tastystaci
03-27-2009, 08:19 PM
I KNEW this thread would be crowded with Mavs fans.

http://www.deaddog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sand-2din-2dmy-2d******.jpg

I promise I'm not a Mav's fan. I'm an NBA fan and it's ruined by s**** like this. If you noticed, I named Bill Laimbeer's phantom foul against Kareem in game 6 of the '88 finals as my #2 worst call in history, and I loathe Laimbeer and the Pistons.

jrong
03-27-2009, 08:40 PM
That play happened right after the one I have been ranting about. It cost them the opportunity to move the ball to half court. Fact is they were still down 1 with 1.9 left because of the #1 worst hose job in NBA history. The Phantom Wade Foul.

It's sad that all a lot of people see when they look at that Finals performance is the so-called "phantom calls". Maybe there were a few and maybe that even flipped the series as a result. Well, guess what? If those calls went the other way, then it would have been one of the greatest Finals performances in a losing effort instead of one of the greatest in a winning effort. But, it still would have been one of the best performances in the Finals. Ever.

There was so much to appreciate about his series:

* fifteeen point 4th quarter (1 FT) in a comeback from thirteen down with six minutes left in Game 3
* game-saving block/ steal in Game 3
* 24 pt. first half in Game 4
* 17 pt. 4th quarter in Game 5
* game-tying shot to send Game 5 into OT

But, nope, all they will even look at is the controversial ending of Game 5 and some doubtful calls in Game 6 that ended up on youtube.

This isn't the greatest parallel, but, for some reason, it reminds me of people who can't appreciate President Clinton's accomplishments because of Monica:

Peace. Prosperity. Over twenty million jobs. Stopping the violence in Northern Ireland.

"So what, he got head from a heavy chick!"

tastystaci
03-27-2009, 08:49 PM
It's sad that all a lot of people see when they look at that Finals performance is the so-called "phantom calls". Maybe there were a few and maybe that even flipped the series as a result. Well, guess what? If those calls went the other way, then it would have been one of the greatest Finals performances in a losing effort instead of one of the greatest in a winning effort. But, it still would have been one of the best performances in the Finals. Ever.

There was so much to appreciate about his series:

* fifteeen point 4th quarter (1 FT) in a comeback from thirteen down with six minutes left in Game 3
* game-saving block/ steal in Game 3
* 24 pt. first half in Game 4
* 17 pt. 4th quarter in Game 5
* game-tying shot to send Game 5 into OT

But, nope, all they will even look at is the controversial ending of Game 5 and some wrong calls in Game 6 that ended up on youtube.

How can you possible appreciate the good things when such an egregious wrong cost them pivotal game 5. A game that would've put them up 3-2 going back to Dallas for TWO more games. Dirk was the clutch one, he hit his shot to put them up 1. Wade was bailed out for a pathetic attempt to be a hero, to go 1 against 4 on his way to an out-of-control lay up attempt. I agree, this series could've been one of the greats, but when you penalize Dirk, who just hit the most clutch shot of his career, and give him a touch foul on a play that had Wade push somebody to the floor, how could a basketball fan look at it any other way?

InspiredLebowski
03-27-2009, 08:52 PM
The Antonio Davis "foul" on Larry Johnson for the 4 point play in Game 3 of the 99 ECF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gex2CpfWkwg

tastystaci
03-27-2009, 09:03 PM
The Antonio Davis "foul" on Larry Johnson for the 4 point play in Game 3 of the 99 ECF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gex2CpfWkwg

Agreed, that was pretty wretched, especially in the last seconds of a game. You can't possibly make that call in that situation.

jrong
03-27-2009, 09:20 PM
How can you possible appreciate the good things when such an egregious wrong cost them pivotal game 5. A game that would've put them up 3-2 going back to Dallas for TWO more games. Dirk was the clutch one, he hit his shot to put them up 1. Wade was bailed out for a pathetic attempt to be a hero, to go 1 against 4 on his way to an out-of-control lay up attempt. I agree, this series could've been one of the greats, but when you penalize Dirk, who just hit the most clutch shot of his career, and give him a touch foul on a play that had Wade push somebody to the floor, how could a basketball fan look at it any other way?

Well, as we've discussed, there are differing interpretations on that play. But, let's suppose I concede yours. It doesn't mean that Dallas would have won the series.

So Dallas grabs the rebound and Miami fouls with about two seconds left. Then Dallas is ahead by one and shooting two. Even if they make both, Miami calls timeout down by three and inbounds at halfcourt with a chance to tie. Want to bet against Wade making it?

But, let's say he misses. So Miami goes back to Dallas, and they're down 3 - 2 in the series. But, Miami won Game 6. So the series is then 3 - 3. Or if even if you want to say that the Heat won Game 6 because of some questionable calls, then we're still late in the fourth quarter, and the score is close.

My point is that fans often say that a team was "robbed" as if a victory was stolen from them. But, they can't say for sure that the team would have won. The only thing they can say is that they would have been in position to possibly win. (The worst offenders that I can think of in this respect, were Seattle fans after the Seahawks lost to the Steelers in the Super Bowl. But, I digress....)

tastystaci
03-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Well, as we've discussed, there are differing interpretations on that play. But, let's suppose I concede yours. It doesn't mean that Dallas would have won the series.

So Dallas grabs the rebound and Miami fouls with about two seconds left. Then Dallas is ahead by one and shooting two. Even if they make both, Miami calls timeout down by three and inbounds at halfcourt with a chance to tie. Want to bet against Wade making it?

But, let's say he misses. So Miami goes back to Dallas, and they're down 3 - 2 in the series. But, Miami won Game 6. So the series is then 3 - 3. Or if even if you want to say that the Heat won Game 6 because of some questionable calls, then we're still late in the fourth quarter, and the score is close.

My point is that fans often say that a team was "robbed" as if a victory was stolen from them. But, they can't say for sure that the team would have won. The only thing they can say is that they would have been in position to possibly win. (The worst offenders that I can think of in this respect, were Seattle fans after the Seahawks lost to the Steelers in the Super Bowl. But, I digress....)

Listen, I like you, you argue without being disrespectful. Kudos for that :applause: But there is no way Miami goes into Dallas, down 1 game, and wins 2 in a row. Could you even imagine how demoralizing having game 5 taken from you would be. Imagine being Dirk, you just hit the shot of your life, your team should be on it's way to wrapping up a title, and those dirty, scumbags put Wade at the free throw line on that horrible call. :banghead: I know I would want to kill somebody. And as far as your Super Bowl reference, the Seahawks were robbed, they took two td's off the board on some bogus offensive pass intereference. But that's for another day. :lol

Ja2l
03-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Kings and Lakers. The Kings got cheated out of a Championship. The Lakers 3rd Championship should have never happened.

Worse No-Call in recent Playoff History.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xKGHvReOkI&feature=related

Joe Crawford was the Ref of that Game too. Ugh, figures. Why the hell is the NBA still letting this guy Ref Spurs Games anyway?

Spurs fans shouldn't be allowed to complain in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvkKdXLwt0U

MiseryCityTexas
03-27-2009, 11:47 PM
any and all calls against the rockets in the nba playoffs are terribly officiated games.(1998-Present).

cuban pays off refs to cheat his way to the finals, only to be outcheated by wade and the heat in the end. :roll:

and most of utah's success were usually the jerry sloan flops, and cheap shot elbows.

Duncan21formvp
03-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Don't forget this.

It was a foul, it just shouldn't have been called since the guy still was close to making the shot.

tastystaci
03-28-2009, 02:14 AM
Spurs fans shouldn't be allowed to complain in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvkKdXLwt0U

Agreed. After the rape job the NBA did to the Suns in '07 conference finals, Spurs fans should kneel daily and pray in David Stern's direction.

KRAYZIE
03-28-2009, 02:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEx4JUDeyAQ&fmt=18
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/DIRK/kirilenkoflopsmall.gif
Dirk's chi power > yours :lol

NugzFan
03-28-2009, 03:09 AM

agreed this is bad because its not subjective. it was 100% a bad call no matter what.

YAWN
03-28-2009, 03:11 AM
edit: theres a gif two posts up hah