PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Curry video. Do you want him on your team with say....a top 10 pick?

Kblaze8855
03-29-2009, 02:33 PM
He could be Chris Jackson....he could be Eddie House. He could be Mike Bibby....he could be...Daniel Gibson. Or Jason Terry. **** maybe Steve Kerr.I wouldnt be totally shocked if hes the next Gilbert Arenas and I wouldnt be shocked if he plays 26 minutes his entire rookie season and ends up in the NBDL before working his way back to the league and signing on a contender and building a career as a solid 6th man.

He doesnt have the build of a lot of those 6'2'' or so combo guards with jumpers. Ben Gordon, Bobby Jackson, and Mo Williams all have some muscle on them. ben and Bobby were borderline tanks.

But Curry? He looks like a 13 yearold. And not like a 13 yearold in good shape. Like an average 8th grader. But got damn he can shoot...and Bobby Knight called him as good a passer as has ever played in college. Which is a stretch....but Knight doesnt seem the type to hand out praise he doesnt mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ52-fokJrI&fmt=18

http://rapidshare.com/files/214918776/kblaze-stephencurry.mpg

Where would you draft him?

BankShot
03-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Late lottery.... poor man's Ben Gordon

Dasher
03-29-2009, 02:43 PM
I would not select him in the the lottery. I just don't value his play that much. Bob Knight has been gotten infected with the hyperbole virus since he has been at ESPN. One of my biggest critiques with Stephon's game is that his passes are neither precise or crisp. He is good coming of screens and does not always have to dribble into his shot to find a rhythm, which makes me think that he can be effective with or without a dominant big man, and he can play next to a drive and kick point guard for stretches. I have doubts about his ability to fight through screens on defense on the pro level. His body is rather slight, and has shown little improvement over the years.

And please no Chris Jackson comparisons that would be considered blasphemy in SEC country.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
03-29-2009, 02:44 PM
I think he's going to be sick in the league

Interminator
03-29-2009, 02:47 PM
I think he's going to be sick in the league
Keith Brumbaugh will be better than Stephen Curry.

Look I just made fun of myself before you quote me with the same lame joke.

Younggrease
03-29-2009, 02:49 PM
next BJ Armstrong...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMUVdIIO0Yw

tastystaci
03-29-2009, 02:51 PM
No chance he is a lottery pick!! He's an in-betweener with limited handles, limited strength, limited defense. Sharp shooters are not takin' early in drafts. I like Curry, but right now he's a late first rounder or worst. Unless Isiah Thomas takes over as GM of the Clips. Then he might be the #1 pick :roll:

Mr_Basketball#1
03-29-2009, 02:51 PM
The dude must be pretty strong. I've seen him pull up from the Bobcats logo and drain it on a regular ole jumpshot. He needs to beef up though and he could be similar to Mo Williams.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
03-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Keith Brumbaugh will be better than Stephen Curry.

Look I just made fun of myself before you quote me with the same lame joke.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93317

Interminator
03-29-2009, 02:53 PM
next BJ Armstrong...
BJ never attempted nearly as many 3's as Curry has.

He may end up becoming a cross between Eddie House & John Starks at best.

Mr_Basketball#1
03-29-2009, 02:54 PM
BTW, this vid sucks because there wasn't enough shots of Sonya.

Nah just kidding bro. Great work once again!

OneMoreSucka
I'd love to have him as a sixth man.

Interminator
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93317
Nice.:applause:

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
03-29-2009, 02:55 PM

8x all star

Interminator
03-29-2009, 02:57 PM
The dude must be pretty strong. I've seen him pull up from the Bobcats logo and drain it on a regular ole jumpshot. He needs to beef up though and he could be similar to Mo Williams.
Mo Williams is much quicker and more of a pure PG than Curry.

Curry is more of a bench player you bring in at the 2 and leave out on the perimeter and kick it out to him if hes left open.

He's going to need more space considering he has a set shot without a high release point for a 6'1 Guard.

Mr_Basketball#1
03-29-2009, 03:00 PM

Curry is more of a bench player you bring in at the 2 and leave out on the perimeter and kick it out to him if hes left open.

He's going to need more space considering he has a set shot without a high release point for a 6'1 Guard.
Mo isn't a pure point guard. He's a scoring guard.

Interminator
03-29-2009, 03:00 PM
8x all star

Seriously you're lame, I can understand trying to attack me in threads because you think I have no basketball knowledge but now its getting pathetic.

Same response from you, every thread, every day.

:roll:

Dasher
03-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Mo isn't a pure point guard. He's a scoring guard.Mo has excelled at being both a "pure" and a scoring PG. He has also been an excellent player in multiple offensive philosophies.

wang4three
03-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Well, he's still young has a great jumpshot and is learning the point guard position. He'd be best suited for a team where he doesn't have to handle all the ball handling responsibilities and really got to play off-ball. Playing with LeBron, Wade, or the triangle offense would help his shine is best of character traits.

But at the next level, he'll benefit most that defenses aren't built around stopping him and he'll see more 1 on 1 coverage and get plenty of good screens rather than the filmsy ones he's getting at Davidson.

Interminator
03-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Mo isn't a pure point guard. He's a scoring guard.
I never considered Mo a pure point guard.

Mo is more of a pure point guard than Curry is which speaks volumes of how mediocre of a NBA level PG Curry is.

Cury is an example of having your most trusted perimeter scorer run the Point because there isn't anyone else talented enough to play PG and it keeps the ball in his hands and allows him to find an open man.

Maniak
03-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Mad props on making this video Kblaze. Im a huge Curry fan and its a fine vid.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
03-29-2009, 03:07 PM

Seriously you're lame, I can understand trying to attack me in threads because you think I have no basketball knowledge but now its getting pathetic.

Same response from you, every thread, every day.

8x all star

knickballer
03-29-2009, 03:07 PM
His game is so similar to Daniel Gibson. A combo guard who can shoot. He's definitely not worth a top 10 pick but he's a decent player overall.

Interminator
03-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Well, he's still young has a great jumpshot and is learning the point guard position. He'd be best suited for a team where he doesn't have to handle all the ball handling responsibilities and really got to play off-ball. Playing with LeBron, or the triangle offense would help his shine is best of character traits.
Its not hard to learn the PG position when you are a good perimeter scorer and a solid ballhandler as long as you can dribble and have solid court vision you can be effective at PG in college.

But at the next level, he'll benefit most that defenses aren't built around stopping him and he'll see more 1 on 1 coverage and get plenty of good screens rather than the filmsy ones he's getting at Davidson.
I seriously doubt any NBA team would run screens for Curry on the perimeter.

If he cant catch & shoot then he won't make it in the NBA at his size.

wang4three
03-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Its not hard to learn the PG position when you are a good perimeter scorer and a solid ballhandler as long as you can dribble and have solid court vision you can be effective at PG in college.

You're not serious are you?

If he cant catch & shoot then he won't make it in the NBA at his size.

To risk sounding repetitive, you're not serious are you?

Interminator
03-29-2009, 03:12 PM
His game is so similar to Daniel Gibson. A combo guard who can shoot. He's definitely not worth a top 10 pick but he's a decent player overall.
Daniel Gibson is more athletic and has a pure shooter's release.

Interminator
03-29-2009, 03:21 PM
You're not serious are you?
Actually I am.
If you are a wing scorer that is capable of creating your shot and you are able to handle the ball well and can find the open man, you can be effective at PG in college.
Ask James Harden,a NBA 2 that would take over the role of PG for ASU.

Of course with not being a Pure PG comes a high turnover rate but you can't say that you cant be effective.

To risk sounding repetitive, you're not serious are you?
I am serious.

Stephen Curry although is a great college scorer but he wont have plays designed for him on the perimter that involves screens to get open.
If he proves he can work as a spot up shooter in the NBA then he may have a screen designated for him at the end of a game but to think he will come into the NBA and get screens from Day 1 on the perimeter like Allen Iverson was given to get his shot off is laughable.

Curry holds no purpose on a NBA team if he can't catch & shoot,he will have to play the 2 in the NBA because he isn't a PG and unless he finds a niche as a defender then he wont last long.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
03-29-2009, 03:32 PM
He's playing the combo in the NBA

I really can't take you serious

bdreason
03-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Early second round.

Interminator
03-29-2009, 03:38 PM
He's playing the combo in the NBA

I really can't take you serious
He's not playing the combo in the NBA.

I don't see how he plays PG unless he goes to a team like the Heat with a SG like D-Wade that runs the offense and can allow him to be a spot up shooter while at the 1.

There are only 4 Combo Guards that might get drafted in the 2009 NBA Draft and they are Brandon Jennings,Willie Warren,Tony Douglas and Tyreke Evans.

Stop baiting.

Lebron23
03-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Probably a Late First Round Pick. Curry is going to excel while playing in a Run and Gun Offense.

Love to see him with the Knicks or Warriors next year.

Lebron23
03-29-2009, 03:49 PM
I'd love to have him as a sixth man.

Do you think he will be the next Ricky Pierce? He was a great 6th man Scorer in the late 1980's.

Dasher
03-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Do you think he will be the next Ricky Pierce? He was a great 6th man Scorer in the 1990's.Shut up, and I mean it in the nicest way possible.

Kblaze8855
03-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Ricky Pierce played nothing like Curry. And I mean in no way...at all.

Interminator
03-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Do you think he will be the next Ricky Pierce? He was a great 6th man Scorer in the late 1980's.
Ricky Pierce?

You had to have pulled that one out of your ass to even mention his name on this site.

I don't even remember Ricky Pierce.:confusedshrug:

Da KO King
03-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Best case: Mike Bibby
Worst case: Daniel Gibson
Most likely: Dana Barros

Would not want him with a top 10 pick. Doesn't play the pick and roll well enough to be worth it for the Knicks.

unbreakable
03-29-2009, 04:12 PM
I hope he goes somewhere with a good coach.. dont wanna see him under Larry Brown or George Karl .. let him go somewhere with freedom and then we can make our evaluations.

Mississippi
03-29-2009, 04:19 PM
The Warriors have enough guards.

wang4three
03-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Actually I am.
If you are a wing scorer that is capable of creating your shot and you are able to handle the ball well and can find the open man, you can be effective at PG in college.
Ask James Harden,a NBA 2 that would take over the role of PG for ASU.

Of course with not being a Pure PG comes a high turnover rate but you can't say that you cant be effective.

Well you're wrong. Going from being the off guard to point guard in college is a difficult transition. Many players have tough time transitioning to it after being the primary off guard scorer. They have to deal with presses more and have to start offense rather than be offense. Hell, Scottie Reynolds is still struggling from losing Mike Nardi. Davidson lost the leading assist-man in college last season and Curry has to play the role of primary scorer and primary playmaker. There's going to be problems and things he has to go through. He's clearly learning though and he's gotten better as the season went on.

James Harden's role hasn't changed at ASU so I have no idea what you're even bringing him up.

I am serious.

Stephen Curry although is a great college scorer but he wont have plays designed for him on the perimter that involves screens to get open.
If he proves he can work as a spot up shooter in the NBA then he may have a screen designated for him at the end of a game but to think he will come into the NBA and get screens from Day 1 on the perimeter like Allen Iverson was given to get his shot off is laughable.

Curry will likely go in the top 15 in the draft. Yet you believe a team will draft him and not run plays for him. Why commit to a player you don't want to highlight his strengths? Seems like a waste of money.

Curry holds no purpose on a NBA team if he can't catch & shoot,he will have to play the 2 in the NBA because he isn't a PG and unless he finds a niche as a defender then he wont last long.

I said earlier, he'll be fine as long as he has someone to share ball handling responsibilities with. He doesn't have to be pigeon holed into a position of 1 or 2. He can fit as a tweener like a lot of guards are doing these days to mask their weaknesses.

Curry is not a horrible ball handler, but he's not great. He's still learning to control pace and play with a team. The way you make it seems like he has no capacity to learn or get better, which is dumb for anyone to assume at 20/21 and playing the point guard for the first time in his life.

Dasher
03-29-2009, 04:25 PM

Would not want him with a top 10 pick. Doesn't play the pick and roll well enough to be worth it for the Knicks.Mike Bibby sucks.

Da KO King
03-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Mike Bibby sucks.
I've NEVER liked Mike Bibby but to say a career 16 point 6 assist PG "sucks" seems a bit silly.

Dasher
03-29-2009, 04:29 PM
I've NEVER liked Mike Bibby but to say a career 16 point 6 assist PG "sucks" seems a bit silly.For a #2 draft pick who had the audacity to only work out for the Clippers who had the #1 pick, 16 and 6 is underwhelming. He also has the worst tats in the league.

PleezeBelieve
03-29-2009, 04:51 PM
I think any combo guard has to have explosion with the dribble. Either to get your own shot or for play-making purposes, but you have to have it at the NBA level. I don't know if Curry has this. Not because he doesn't have it or not, but more cause its not his role to display it at Davidson.

See, the thing is, we call say he doesn't have this or that, but if he turns into something special, there will be 10-15 teams with the gas face, looking silly.

So knowing thia, if Bayless went top-15, then Curry will as well cause I believe he's better. Now its about what team he can go to and excel on an immediate basis. Knicks. Kings. Bobcats. Raptors could all use him. But I believe the best fit for him is on the Wolves. I know they got Foye, but Curry will be better for them than him. If they could somehow get a decent sized point guard, Curry is who they should take.

Agree?

ChuckOakley
03-29-2009, 05:41 PM
A rich-man's Randolph Childress, as in he should stick around in the NBA.

Interminator
03-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Well you're wrong. Going from being the off guard to point guard in college is a difficult transition. Many players have tough time transitioning to it after being the primary off guard scorer. They have to deal with presses more and have to start offense rather than be offense. Hell, Scottie Reynolds is still struggling from losing Mike Nardi. Davidson lost the leading assist-man in college last season and Curry has to play the role of primary scorer and primary playmaker. There's going to be problems and things he has to go through. He's clearly learning though and he's gotten better as the season went on.

James Harden's role hasn't changed at ASU so I have no idea what you're even bringing him up.
I'm not even going to argue this because you dont understand what I meant.

Curry will likely go in the top 15 in the draft. Yet you believe a team will draft him and not run plays for him. Why commit to a player you don't want to highlight his strengths? Seems like a waste of money.
see J.J. Redick.

I said earlier, he'll be fine as long as he has someone to share ball handling responsibilities with. He doesn't have to be pigeon holed into a position of 1 or 2. He can fit as a tweener like a lot of guards are doing these days to mask their weaknesses.
Curry is not a NBA level ballhandler, he projects as a spot up shooter that can be a threat by pump faking or stepping back and hitting his pull up jumper.

Curry is not a horrible ball handler, but he's not great. He's still learning to control pace and play with a team. The way you make it seems like he has no capacity to learn or get better, which is dumb for anyone to assume at 20/21 and playing the point guard for the first time in his life.
Yet people assume that Keith Brumbaugh wont ever develop into a NBA level SF.

Thats off topic but anyways.

I began watching him this season after I became a fan of him in college and even if he spent all of his free time working to become a NBA PG he still wouldn't be any better and he'd make himself a worse player trying to be something he is not.

Curry can dribble but he's not a NBA PG and he wont ever be.

Thats not me being critical of the guy because he is a talented scorer but seriously its not going to happen, for some guys if you arent placed at PG early on in your basketball life you just can't move to PG at 20/21 and expect to be as good, its kind of like instincts that PG's have that develops over time.

Mateo
03-29-2009, 07:12 PM
I doubt i would pick him in the draft at all. I'm not sure what he does that you can't find in training camp. What specific skill does he possess that Janero Pargo doesn't, for example.

BankShot
03-29-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm really liking the Eddie House comparisons when it comes to Curry.

Both scored at will with unlimited range in college, and IMO Curry will also struggle to bring the ball up the court against heavy pressure (see House vs. Billups), which will prove to be his downfall in trying to be a full-time NBA point guard.

Interminator
03-29-2009, 07:18 PM
I doubt i would pick him in the draft at all. I'm not sure what he does that you can't find in training camp. What specific skill does he possess that Janero Pargo doesn't, for example.
Scoring ability.

As a collegiate Stephen Curry is a more consistent scorer than Pargo was, but Pargo is much quicker with the basketball.

Pargo would have huge games at Arkansas and then have an average 11 Point game.

Curry goes for 20 nearly every night and does it in all types of ways.

dnyk1337
03-29-2009, 07:19 PM
For a #2 draft pick who had the audacity to only work out for the Clippers who had the #1 pick, 16 and 6 is underwhelming. He also has the worst tats in the league.

Still on with that Mike Bibby hate? Just stop. :rolleyes:

Mateo
03-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Scoring ability.

As a collegiate Stephen Curry is a more consistent scorer than Pargo was, but Pargo is much quicker with the basketball.

Pargo would have huge games at Arkansas and then have an average 11 Point game.

Curry goes for 20 nearly every night and does it in all types of ways.

maybe your right, i was just looking at his efficiency and its really good, 61% ts% so maybe he will find a place.

Dresta
03-29-2009, 07:39 PM
I'd definitely take him top 10, last year they said he couldn't play the point, which he's now shown he can be effective doing. I like him as a player, a big talent imo, just because he's not a prototypical nba type athlete, doesn't mean he can't be good.

swyftdahoe
03-29-2009, 07:43 PM
He's a shooter and a scorer. To me, he's a sure-fire top 10 pick. He's going to be Mike Bibby minus the baggage. And he doesn't look that small to me. I'm pretty sure he's closer to 6'3" than he is to 6'1". He's just slight in build.

knickballer
03-29-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm really liking the Eddie House comparisons when it comes to Curry.

Both scored at will with unlimited range in college, and IMO Curry will also struggle to bring the ball up the court against heavy pressure (see House vs. Billups), which will prove to be his downfall in trying to be a full-time NBA point guard.

He's more of a Daniel Gibson type of player. They seem to be exact players, imo. Both are the same really.

wang4three
03-29-2009, 08:24 PM
see J.J. Redick.

What about him? He never had to learn point guard in college. He never had to play it or show that he was to be a point guard at the next level. He always had somebody there to handle the point guard duties whether it be Daniel Ewing, Greg Paulus, or Chris Duhon.

JJ Redick had reliable players around him through his career with McD All Americans while Stephen is dealing with Andrew Lovedale who I like, but lets be real here.

Curry is not a NBA level ballhandler, he projects as a spot up shooter that can be a threat by pump faking or stepping back and hitting his pull up jumper.

His ball handling is not as much of a question as his decision making skills are. He makes bad decisions with the ball in forcing passes and just setting pace. Like I've alluded to, if he's the secondary ball handler and decision maker he can more than be a serviceable player for any team. He's added several different crafty ways to score other than being a catch and shoot players, in terms of floaters, crossovers and what have you.

Yet people assume that Keith Brumbaugh wont ever develop into a NBA level SF.

This is the first time I've seen Keith's name brought up on this board. I have not said anything about him at all. You must be confusing me with someone else.

I began watching him this season after I became a fan of him in college and even if he spent all of his free time working to become a NBA PG he still wouldn't be any better and he'd make himself a worse player trying to be something he is not.

Curry can dribble but he's not a NBA PG and he wont ever be.

Thats not me being critical of the guy because he is a talented scorer but seriously its not going to happen, for some guys if you arent placed at PG early on in your basketball life you just can't move to PG at 20/21 and expect to be as good, its kind of like instincts that PG's have that develops over time.

Stephen Curry, right now is averaging 6 assists on a team that has only 1 .other double digit scorer and Lovedale is only averaging 12ppg. It's good enough to place him top 20 in the country. But that's not really my case as much as the fact that the "NBA PG" really is not as defined as it once was.

What is a NBA PG really? I feel like everyone on this board says this phrase without actually understanding it. Lets be honest here, the days of being a "pure PG" is dying out. The definition of a NBA PG definitely has changed recently. Guys like Bayless, Aaron Brooks, Russell Westbrook are the future PG crop out there and succeeding at it. Sure Deron, Paul, Rondo exist and are very successful, but in recent years the trend has been scoring PGs with minimal actual PG skills. Tony Parker won Finals MVP averaging less assists than his teammate Tim Duncan. Mo Williams is not the leading assist man on his team. Prior to Kidd, Jason Terry as the Mavs' starting PG was averaging 3apg and the Mavs were a Finals team. So to be a PG in the league you don't have to have long time learned "PG skills" that you allude to. You can be a scorer and be successful and the only thing you have to develop is minimal decision making skills which usually can be learned through experience and practice. Curry doesn't have to have the best court vision, just good enough. I look at a guy like Chauncey Billups who used to struggle hard with the PG role and really just needed time and experience under his belt to become a top 3 PG in this league.

Stephen Curry may never live up to a top 10 draft pick but I do not doubt that he can be a solid point guard in this league. All the mistakes he's making now can be corrected still as long as he's learning from his mistakes.

Interminator
03-29-2009, 08:48 PM
What is a NBA PG really? I feel like everyone on this board says this phrase without actually understanding it. Lets be honest here, the days of being a "pure PG" is dying out. The definition of a NBA PG definitely has changed recently. Guys like Bayless, Aaron Brooks, Russell Westbrook are the future PG crop out there and succeeding at it. Sure Deron, Paul, Rondo exist and are very successful, but in recent years the trend has been scoring PGs with minimal actual PG skills. Tony Parker won Finals MVP averaging less assists than his teammate Tim Duncan.
How?

Bayless is a combo guard who's future is at the 2 in the NBA,he's also very athletic & quick which makes him a dangerous threat in the open court.

Brooks is not the future of the NBA at PG, Brooks is a solid player but he's been pigeonholed at the PG position due to his size but he is a good ballhandler and is more of an off ball PG that an on ball PG.

Westbrook is the worst starting PG in the NBA,he averages 5.1 APG on 3.3 T/OPG.I've been critical of Westbrook's projection to the NBA as a PG because he, like Bayless is a quick athletic undersized 2 that handles the ball well but due to his size & the personnel on the team he is being forced into the role of PG but eventually he will move over to the 2.

But this goes with the history of the NBA, the good/great PG's that are remembered in NBA History are those who were "pure PG's".

There have been some athletic PG's like Gary Payton & Jason Kidd but both had pure PG abilities and are Top 10 PG's of All Time.

I don't know where you are going with Parker but I consider him to be a Pure PG, the system he plays in limits his assist numbers.
For example, I consider Derek Fisher to be a pure PG even though his assist numbers don't dictate it due to the Triangle Offense but he makes good decisions with the basketball and is capable of running an offense.

Dasher
03-29-2009, 08:51 PM
But this goes with the history of the NBA, the good/great PG's that are remembered in NBA History are those who were "pure PG's".
Not true. Magic, Zeke, and The Big O, who are the three best players to play the position, were not "pure" PGs. They were lead guards who made good decisions with the ball, but they were not "pure".

Interminator
03-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Not true. Magic, Zeke, and The Big O, who are the three best players to play the position, were not "pure" PGs. They were lead guards who made good decisions with the ball, but they were not "pure".
I never saw Robertson play so I'm not going to discuss it.

Isiah & Magic were pure PG's in my opinion but played in systems that you can made them seem much more versatile than the traditional pure PG.
Not to mention they both played in the toughest defensive era in NBA History.

wang4three
03-29-2009, 09:00 PM

I'm talking about trend, not history. Scoring PGs are what will dominate the NBA as we move on. Even guys like Ty Lawson, Jonny Flynn, Brandon Jennings who are regarded the top PG prospects right now are scoring point guards more they are "pure PG"

I don't know where you are going with Parker but I consider him to be a Pure PG, the system he plays in limits his assist numbers.

You mean the same system that allowed Avery Johnson to average 6-10 assists as a starter?

Tony Parker is just a 2 guard playing the 1. He's as much of a combo guard there is in the NBA. He's not a fantastic passer, but enough of one. Same with Curry. Now I'm not, repeat NOT, saying Curry will be as good as Parker, but he has shown me to be good enough to exist as a scorer on the floor first and as a passer second.

For example, I consider Derek Fisher to be a pure PG even though his assist numbers don't dictate it due to the Triangle Offense but he makes good decisions with the basketball and is capable of running an offense.

My first post that you challenged said that Curry would be great in the triangle offense where he doesn't have make all the decisions or be the primary ball handler. Come on, now..

Dasher
03-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Big O was a point guard. He fulfilled all the duties of that position and then some, but like Magic, Zeke, Gary, KJ, Earl Monroe, Tiny Archibald, Tim Hardaway, and he was not a "pure" point guard.

Godfather
03-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Stephon ceiling in the NBA is a 6th man of the year award. He is a volume scorer and TO machine, who will be in for a rude awakening when he meets the athletes of the NBA.

There are better players in the top 10...hell even the top 20.

Interminator
03-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Bayless was probably a bad choice, but from the Portland faithful, it seems as if they believe in him to be their PG for the future.
Portland fans think Nic Batum is the Next Pippen.

So he's solid. That's all I was getting at. Given his size, his skill set, he's successful enough at the PG level to give guys like Curry hope.
But Brooks has more experience at the position and has less of a scorers mentality and scoring ability that Curry has.

I'm talking about trend, not history. Scoring PGs are what will dominate the NBA as we move on. Even guys like Ty Lawson, Jonny Flynn, Brandon Jennings who are regarded the top PG prospects right now are scoring point guards more they are "pure PG"
I view Ty Lawson as a "Pure PG" his amazing ability to handle the ball and create for others by his penetration ability alone sets him apart from the rest.
I view Flynn as an off ball NBA PG similar to Jason Terry.
Brandon Jennings is a score 1st PG with amazing ballhandling skills but he has too much of a scorers mentality to actually be able to look for his shot and still find an open teammate.

You mean the same system that allowed Avery Johnson to average 6-10 assists as a starter?
That was a different system in which the offense at the time went through David Robinson,not Tim Duncan.

Tony Parker is just a 2 guard playing the 1. He's as much of a combo guard there is in the NBA. He's not a fantastic passer, but enough of one. Same with Curry. Now I'm not, repeat NOT, saying Curry will be as good as Parker, but he has shown me to be good enough to exist as a scorer on the floor first and as a passer second.
OK.

My first post that you challenged said that Curry would be great in the triangle offense where he doesn't have make all the decisions or be the primary ball handler. Come on, now..
Theres no chance he goes to the Lakers.

wang4three
03-29-2009, 09:17 PM

Not the ones I trust.

But Brooks has more experience at the position and has less of a scorers mentality and scoring ability that Curry has.
What's your point?

I view Ty Lawson as a "Pure PG" his amazing ability to handle the ball and create for others by his penetration ability alone sets him apart from the rest.

Ty Lawson is not a pure pg by the definition of it. He's a DJ Augustin-like player. His court vision is about average but his greatest talents is more of setting pace and attacking the basket.

Brandon Jennings is a score 1st PG with amazing ballhandling skills but he has too much of a scorers mentality to actually be able to look for his shot and still find an open teammate.

I don't get you're trying to say. He's a score first, so he's not pure PG but he's still a top PG prospect. So, he's essentially like Curry.

That was a different system in which the offense at the time went through David Robinson,not Tim Duncan.

Same coach, same system.

Theres no chance he goes to the Lakers.

Never said there was one. Just trying to illustrate my point.

Mr_Basketball#1
03-29-2009, 09:31 PM
There's only one pure point guard in the draft and his name is Nick Calathes.

Dasher
03-29-2009, 09:32 PM
There's only one pure point guard in the draft and his name is Nick Calathes.:roll:He also is not a pure point guard. Nick excels on the break, but the Gators offense was stagnant in the half court where he struggled as a table-setter. Nick Calathes is a poorman's Greivis Vasquez. Greivis took a less talented team in a stacked conference to the NCAA tourney.

Mr_Basketball#1
03-29-2009, 09:37 PM
:roll:He also is not a pure point guard. Nick excels on the break, but the Gators offense was stagnant in the half court where he struggled as a table-setter. Nick Calathes is a poorman's Greivis Vasquez. Greivis took a less talented team in a stacked conference to the NCAA tourney.
poor man's vasquez? :roll:

Greivis is not a point guard period. He's a two guard and like I said before, everyone on that Florida basketball team was average. The best player behind Nick would have to be the backup PG, Erving Walker.

Dro
03-29-2009, 09:40 PM
What about him? He never had to learn point guard in college. He never had to play it or show that he was to be a point guard at the next level. He always had somebody there to handle the point guard duties whether it be Daniel Ewing, Greg Paulus, or Chris Duhon.

JJ Redick had reliable players around him through his career with McD All Americans while Stephen is dealing with Andrew Lovedale who I like, but lets be real here.

His ball handling is not as much of a question as his decision making skills are. He makes bad decisions with the ball in forcing passes and just setting pace. Like I've alluded to, if he's the secondary ball handler and decision maker he can more than be a serviceable player for any team. He's added several different crafty ways to score other than being a catch and shoot players, in terms of floaters, crossovers and what have you.

This is the first time I've seen Keith's name brought up on this board. I have not said anything about him at all. You must be confusing me with someone else.

Stephen Curry, right now is averaging 6 assists on a team that has only 1 .other double digit scorer and Lovedale is only averaging 12ppg. It's good enough to place him top 20 in the country. But that's not really my case as much as the fact that the "NBA PG" really is not as defined as it once was.

What is a NBA PG really? I feel like everyone on this board says this phrase without actually understanding it. Lets be honest here, the days of being a "pure PG" is dying out. The definition of a NBA PG definitely has changed recently. Guys like Bayless, Aaron Brooks, Russell Westbrook are the future PG crop out there and succeeding at it. Sure Deron, Paul, Rondo exist and are very successful, but in recent years the trend has been scoring PGs with minimal actual PG skills. Tony Parker won Finals MVP averaging less assists than his teammate Tim Duncan. Mo Williams is not the leading assist man on his team. Prior to Kidd, Jason Terry as the Mavs' starting PG was averaging 3apg and the Mavs were a Finals team. So to be a PG in the league you don't have to have long time learned "PG skills" that you allude to. You can be a scorer and be successful and the only thing you have to develop is minimal decision making skills which usually can be learned through experience and practice. Curry doesn't have to have the best court vision, just good enough. I look at a guy like Chauncey Billups who used to struggle hard with the PG role and really just needed time and experience under his belt to become a top 3 PG in this league.

Stephen Curry may never live up to a top 10 draft pick but I do not doubt that he can be a solid point guard in this league. All the mistakes he's making now can be corrected still as long as he's learning from his mistakes.
Nice post.......I'd take him at PG for my Pacers anyday.......

nbastatus
03-29-2009, 09:41 PM
great scorer.

Godfather
03-29-2009, 09:44 PM
poor man's vasquez? :roll:

Greivis is not a point guard period. He's a two guard and like I said before, everyone on that Florida basketball team was average. The best player behind Nick would have to be the backup PG, Erving Walker.

Wow not this again...

Yes Greivis had more talent around him, but he didn't have to play in the water downed SEC did he?

Kblaze8855
03-30-2009, 04:22 AM
"Nice post.......I'd take him at PG for my Pacers anyday......."

There are teams worse off than TJ and Jack..

Though now that I think about it they are a little hard to come up with....

kumquat
03-30-2009, 05:03 AM

It was actual Michael Jordan comparing him to a young Pippen DUMBASS. Always knew he was a Portland fan

:roll::roll::roll:

Interminator the dumbass strikes again

http://www.arsepoetica.com/blog/images/dumbass_1.jpg (http://www.arsepoetica.com/blog/images/dumbass_1.jpg)

Dresta
03-30-2009, 05:42 AM
He's more of a Daniel Gibson type of player. They seem to be exact players, imo. Both are the same really.
No, because Gibson is a spot up shooter, whereas Curry has shown ability to run the point, and is very good at creating his own shot.

Dasher
03-30-2009, 09:11 AM
No, because Gibson is a spot up shooter, whereas Curry has shown ability to run the point, and is very good at creating his own shot.In college Daniel Gibson was thrice the point guard that Stephon Curry is. Davidson struggled for stretches when Curry was running the point and the ball was put in the hands of that Archambault's hands toward the end of the season.

Raps4Life
03-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Poor man's Dell Curry:ohwell:

PoGoMon
03-30-2009, 10:57 AM
He could be Chris Jackson....he could be Eddie House. He could be Mike Bibby....he could be...Daniel Gibson. Or Jason Terry. **** maybe Steve Kerr.I wouldnt be totally shocked if hes the next Gilbert Arenas and I wouldnt be shocked if he plays 26 minutes his entire rookie season and ends up in the NBDL before working his way back to the league and signing on a contender and building a career as a solid 6th man.

He doesnt have the build of a lot of those 6'2'' or so combo guards with jumpers. Ben Gordon, Bobby Jackson, and Mo Williams all have some muscle on them. ben and Bobby were borderline tanks.

But Curry? He looks like a 13 yearold. And not like a 13 yearold in good shape. Like an average 8th grader. But got damn he can shoot...and Bobby Knight called him as good a passer as has ever played in college. Which is a stretch....but Knight doesnt seem the type to hand out praise he doesnt mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ52-fokJrI&fmt=18

http://rapidshare.com/files/214918776/kblaze-stephencurry.mpg

Where would you draft him?

YES - I would draft him at whatever draft number I had - hoping he would still be available! But then I watched his dad play for his entire career(& I have watched Stephen in quite a few college games this year). The kid is smart AND has been well-coached in school and at home.:cheers:

GOBB
03-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Top 10 pick? I'd need to see a list of prospects who decide to stay in school before I take Curry within the top 10. He's a late first rounder to me. Good value there.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
03-30-2009, 11:45 AM
:roll:He also is not a pure point guard. Nick excels on the break, but the Gators offense was stagnant in the half court where he struggled as a table-setter. Nick Calathes is a poorman's Greivis Vasquez. Greivis took a less talented team in a stacked conference to the NCAA tourney.

Are you serious?

Poor mans Vasquez? Lay off the pipe, Nick is 2x better then Greivis.

Dasher
03-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Are you serious?

Poor mans Vasquez? Lay off the pipe, Nick is 2x better then Greivis.Vasquez led a Maryland team to the tourney. Nic played on a team full of talented big men, and failed to make sufficient noise in a watered-down SEC. Nick led a more talented team in a weaker conference to the NIT.

The_Yearning
03-30-2009, 01:07 PM
1. The Vid has bad music
2. Is that your voice in the beginning?:roll:
3. Stephen Curry too skinny to be Gilbert.
4. He will be just like his father, a knock down shooter.

Curry should just hope he dosen't get a coach like Stan Van Gundy...a rich man's JJ Reddick at best imo...

Kblaze8855
03-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Almost a year later im gonna go ahead and scratch off Kerr as a possibility....

fubu05
03-06-2010, 02:43 AM
His mom is hot. :eek: :bowdown:

Quata
03-06-2010, 03:09 AM
I love how everything Interminator has ever said couldn't be more wrong.

bdreason
03-06-2010, 03:25 AM
Almost a year later im gonna go ahead and scratch off Kerr as a possibility....

Nobody knew he would be this good.

I was actually pissed when we drafted him... :hammerhead: .

Dave3
03-06-2010, 05:01 AM
Props to Handle the Rock for actually predicting Curry would be this effective.

wally_world
03-06-2010, 06:27 AM
Still cant understand why the Twolves picked Jonny Flynn over him :violin:

ILLsmak
03-06-2010, 08:07 AM

Don't lie. Some people did... ahem. :)

-Smak

PleezeBelieve
03-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Top 10 pick? I'd need to see a list of prospects who decide to stay in school before I take Curry within the top 10. He's a late first rounder to me. Good value there.
You sir, are full of FAIL

PleezeBelieve
03-06-2010, 10:21 AM

I sir, have a thread stating otherwise.

But I never get my credit for being so far ahead of my time.

wang4three
03-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Him being this good this fast is a surprise to me, but he does still turn the ball over a lot so my question of his ball handling skills is still standing.

bagelred
03-06-2010, 01:13 PM

So were we, you c-cksuckers. Taking yet another guard? Only Don Nelson.

Maniak
03-06-2010, 01:32 PM
:D

Been on the Curry wagon since college.

broyzers
03-06-2010, 01:50 PM
personally love his game minus the turnovers. i think the blazers would be a great fit for him. no future point guard after andre leaves. i was hopeing we could grab him somehow... silly i know but kevin pritchard had worked magic in the draft before.

id take him in the lottery

wang4three
03-06-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm excited to see how Seth Curry does next year in the ACC, even though he's going to play for Puke.

HylianNightmare
03-06-2010, 02:45 PM
this was a good read, i'll take him as the number 2 pick in last years draft

nbastatus
03-06-2010, 04:04 PM
this was a good read, i'll take him as the number 2 pick in last years draft
:cheers: :cheers:

Kblaze8855
04-16-2013, 05:49 AM
Well.....he worked out....

SacJB Shady
04-16-2013, 05:57 AM
Well.....he worked out....

Imagine Lilliard and Curry playing together

Jyap9675
04-16-2013, 06:08 AM
lmao with the early posts about his potential.

Leftimage
04-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Late lottery.... poor man's Ben Gordon

raid09
04-16-2013, 08:29 AM
I would not select him in the the lottery. I just don't value his play that much. Bob Knight has been gotten infected with the hyperbole virus since he has been at ESPN. One of my biggest critiques with Stephon's game is that his passes are neither precise or crisp. He is good coming of screens and does not always have to dribble into his shot to find a rhythm, which makes me think that he can be effective with or without a dominant big man, and he can play next to a drive and kick point guard for stretches. I have doubts about his ability to fight through screens on defense on the pro level. His body is rather slight, and has shown little improvement over the years.

And please no Chris Jackson comparisons that would be considered blasphemy in SEC country.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it's funny how he's now one of the top shooters off the dribble, and probably the best ever outside the arc.

Bigsmoke
04-16-2013, 10:33 AM
lol @ some of the replies here.

Maniak
04-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Mad props on making this video Kblaze. Im a huge Curry fan and its a fine vid.
Good thing this guy didn't make some irrational statement. What a swell human being.

Kblaze8855
11-18-2015, 07:14 PM
At this rate im expecting to revisit this in 3 years to post a picture of his statue built before he even retires.

Fallen Angel
11-18-2015, 07:17 PM

Would not want him with a top 10 pick. Doesn't play the pick and roll well enough to be worth it for the Knicks.
https://media.giphy.com/media/ltTdYrhonpa1O/giphy.gif

FKAri
11-18-2015, 07:18 PM
At this rate im expecting to revisit this in 3 years to post a picture of his statue built before he even retires.

This why I hate putting ceilings on players. Especially unorthodox ones.

I'd definitely take him top 10, last year they said he couldn't play the point, which he's now shown he can be effective doing. I like him as a player, a big talent imo, just because he's not a prototypical nba type athlete, doesn't mean he can't be good.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Stephon ceiling in the NBA is a 6th man of the year award. He is a volume scorer and TO machine, who will be in for a rude awakening when he meets the athletes of the NBA.

There are better players in the top 10...hell even the top 20.

heheheh

warriorfan
11-18-2015, 07:18 PM

knock on wood homie :cheers:

WorldWarriors
11-18-2015, 07:19 PM
Probably a Late First Round Pick. Curry is going to excel while playing in a Run and Gun Offense.

Love to see him with the Knicks or Warriors next year.

:cheers: :cheers:

WorldWarriors
11-18-2015, 07:24 PM
Poor man's Dell Curry:ohwell:

Kblaze8855
04-04-2020, 09:14 AM
3 rings later.

I don’t even remember what this video was. Him in college obviously but I don’t remember making it or anything about it.

It’s clear he was one of the harder to evaluate guys coming out. You never really know.

red1
04-04-2020, 11:01 AM
I would have said hell nah. too scrawny.

my opinion hasn't changed.

red1
04-04-2020, 11:05 AM

oh shit I havent heard the name greivis vasquez for a few years - turns out vasquez could actually get buckets at the NBA level. he was a great bench scorer singlehandedly won us some games :oldlol:

warriorfan
04-04-2020, 01:02 PM
3 rings later.

I don’t even remember what this video was. Him in college obviously but I don’t remember making it or anything about it.

It’s clear he was one of the harder to evaluate guys coming out. You never really know.

Teams should have asked to see his package.

StrongLurk
04-04-2020, 01:08 PM
Look at Curry man

Stephonit
04-04-2020, 02:36 PM
Top 10 all-time.

Doranku
04-04-2020, 03:36 PM

This is hilarious. :roll:

TheCorporation
04-04-2020, 04:12 PM
Top 10 all-time.

If the lil guy can manage to get a Finals MVP and get his playoff scoring up, maybe...

Right now he is at #27 all time with 2968. If he can make a couple of more Finals and a couple of more Conference Finals that will net him a bump in the rankings.

#27 in playoff scoring with 0 Finals MVPs = top 10? NOPE

Stephonit
04-04-2020, 04:56 PM
If the lil guy can manage to get a Finals MVP and get his playoff scoring up, maybe...

Right now he is at #27 all time with 2968. If he can make a couple of more Finals and a couple of more Conference Finals that will net him a bump in the rankings.

#27 in playoff scoring with 0 Finals MVPs = top 10? NOPE

Won the same number of rings as other players who scored more because he didn't let series go to 7 games as much and swept opponents. Looks more efficient and therefore better.

DoctorP
04-04-2020, 05:01 PM
yeahyou take curry on your team 10 x out of 10