PDA

View Full Version : Macro or Micro Economics?

crounsa810
04-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Which one is easier for those of you who have had to take it? I'm in Macro right now, well not RIGHT now, right now I'm in my house, but i'm taking the class this semester. Anyway, Macro is a pain in the ass. Makes no sense whatsoever. Is micro easier? A lot of people I know said that they love micro because it's more definite & easier, whereas macro is just a bunch of bull**** that people THINK. Looking at the material covered in the class description, I think micro would be more important to my future job, whereas macro is not.
Which one do you prefer, & which is easier?

GP_20
04-02-2009, 12:30 PM
They are both equally important. I actually found Macroeconomics more interesting and more fun in general. Micro is more definite, however, not necessarily easier. I'd actually say Macro was easier for me.

ALBballer
04-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Micro deals with more of the basics and looks at the markets from the individual point of view. Macro deals with the markets on a grander scale, and to answer your question, the things you learn from Macro are more applicable to the real world.

However, I always thought Micro was a pre-req before you took any Macro class.................

IlliniFan
04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I took Micro then Macro, and liked Macro a lot better. I thought it was a more interesting subject. My school of business requires us to take an upper level econ class after the base micro and macro courses and I chose to take an intermediate Macro course, and it has been challenging, but still very interesting stuff.

fiddy
04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Micro is easier and more important IMO.

However, I always thought Micro was a pre-req before you took any Macro class.................
Agreed.

GP_20
04-02-2009, 12:34 PM
In many cases Micro is required before Macro, however I've seen schools where Macro is required before Micro. I think I first took Macro before I ever took Micro.

crounsa810
04-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah in my school we have to take Macro before Micro. Of course, we only have one economics professor, and he is a total piece of ****, so I'm ****ed either way. We have another professor, but only for evening classes, & since I work I can't take those, so I'm stuck with Mr. Dumb****. I really think Macro could be easy, but he never teaches it, and he thinks its hilarious to tell us we have a test ONLY on chapters 5& 6, when we have only done up to chapter 8. Then, when the test comes, he throws **** on from Chapter 4, Chapter 9, Chapter 16, Chapter 18, and Chapter 19. Then when we tell him about it, he laughs and says "Heeheehee I trick you!!!! HA!!!!"

*******. He brags about how 90% of his students fail his classes. My question is how the hell does he still have a job?

Oh, he can't speak english very well either. Here's his ratemyprofessor page if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about: http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=215080

Actually, I suppose I should alter the question: Would Micro be easier to teach myself?

d-_-b
04-02-2009, 12:55 PM
The difference between Macro and Micro is course material.
Macro is more theory based and encompasses the notion of international markets as well as domestic.
Micro is more math and graph based, sets the base for economics going of supply/demand relation.

Micro should be taken first because to understand macro first you need ot learn the basic that are highlighted in micro.

Once you have taken Micro and understand the math behind it, then you can appreciate Macro and how the math fits the theory of economics.

ALBballer
04-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Yeah in my school we have to take Macro before Micro. Of course, we only have one economics professor, and he is a total piece of ****, so I'm ****ed either way. We have another professor, but only for evening classes, & since I work I can't take those, so I'm stuck with Mr. Dumb****. I really think Macro could be easy, but he never teaches it, and he thinks its hilarious to tell us we have a test ONLY on chapters 5& 6, when we have only done up to chapter 8. Then, when the test comes, he throws **** on from Chapter 4, Chapter 9, Chapter 16, Chapter 18, and Chapter 19. Then when we tell him about it, he laughs and says "Heeheehee I trick you!!!! HA!!!!"

*******. He brags about how 90% of his students fail his classes. My question is how the hell does he still have a job?

Oh, he can't speak english very well either. Here's his ratemyprofessor page if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about: http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=215080

Actually, I suppose I should alter the question: Would Micro be easier to teach myself?

He's an Arab? Call homeland security on his ass.

Jack
04-02-2009, 01:39 PM
I had Microeconomics last quarter. Somehow I did not like it. I think it has to do with professor. He came from Canada and had some hard accent. Couldn't understand shiat he said.

Anyway I passed the course. I just hope Macro will be more interesting to me and I hope the professor will fly back to Canada ( no offense to Canadians ).

barne100
04-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I took intro to Micro then intro to Macro. The school doesn't care which one you do first... They were two of the easier classes I have taken. I went on to take Intermediate Macro and that was MUCH more difficult than the intro.

BUT to answer your question.. Macro is much more interesting as long as you understand the basics that you would learn in Micro.

crounsa810
04-02-2009, 01:58 PM
He's an Arab? Call homeland security on his ass.
Did I mention that he is making the test bank for a book written by Ben Bernanke?

The_Yearning
04-02-2009, 02:33 PM
wow how come nobody told me about micro before Macro? I'm taking macro right now and have an 89 in the class right now...and it must say it's hard as hell just clad that micro is a lot easier...macro got too much damn graphs....**** that ****

IlliniFan
04-02-2009, 02:36 PM
wow how come nobody told me about micro before Macro? I'm taking macro right now and have an 89 in the class right now...and it must say it's hard as hell just clad that micro is a lot easier...macro got too much damn graphs....**** that ****
I don't really understand this post, but I can tell you that Micro has a lot more graphs than Macro.

TakitoEspanoza
04-02-2009, 02:58 PM
micro is harder definitely

bdreason
04-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Macro.

NBACha
04-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Ha! When I was in college, I loved econ so much I switched my major from Business to Economics! I always thought Macro was an easier concept to grasp.