tough luck for the spurs.

StephenDedalus
04-06-2009, 07:03 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml#8
tough luck for the spurs.

Holy ****, that sucks.

OldSchoolBBall
04-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Wow, huge loss. Completely changes the WC playoff picture.

oh the horror
04-06-2009, 07:05 PM
I think it more than gaurantees Lakers to the finals once again.

Mikaiel
04-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Damn, who's gonna stop the Lakers now ? :(

Lebron23
04-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Spurs still have a Healthy Tony Parker and Tim Duncan. Roger Mason is going to make some noise in the 2009 NBA Playoffs.

BallPhunk
04-06-2009, 07:07 PM
This is going to be nothing compared to the news that KG is out for the year (coming sooner or later).

#1SportsFan86
04-06-2009, 07:07 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!! I didn't see this coming man, so if the Spurs get put out the playoffs there fan are gonna say "we didn't have Ginobili" I can see it now, I'm not a Spurs fan but I hope Ginobili is alright.

KingJay718
04-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Wow. No odd year championship this season. Not that they were gonna win this year anyway.

TMT
04-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Really sucks, obviously a lot of what we planned to accomplish this year revolved around him being healthy come playoff time. We're not the same team without him.

NOHCP3
04-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Not underestimating them but this definitely takes any chance of them beating the Lakers. They couldnt do it last year with a hobbled Manu so.. If they dont have him this year itll be hard for them to win 1-2 games. Thats if they can get by the six seed. If they stay at #3. That being said we ALWAYS count the Spurs out.They continue to just exceed expectations.

DuMa
odd year championship has finally been derailed!!!!!!!!!!!

RedBlackAttack
I really don't think this changes the WC playoff picture all that much, to be honest. The Spurs were going to win a maximum of one playoff series, imho.

Still... It is never good for the NBA when a star player gets knocked out for the season.

Kebab Stall
04-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Well, this sucks. I was hoping that the Spurs could get another championship. If they want any kind of chance now, Duncan and Parker are going to have to step up huge and the rest of the team will really need to fill their shoes.

GiveItToBurrito
04-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Good night, sweet prince. Spurs won't make it past the second round this year.

AznTacoLover
04-06-2009, 07:13 PM
ugh... wow no on can stop the lakers then...

Sriracha
04-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Damn, I wish all the team that makes the playoff make it with a healthy team.

JJ81
:(

nbastatus
:hammertime: :hammertime:
fixed

Lebron23
04-06-2009, 07:16 PM
I know it's painful to see your 3rd best player on the injured lists. Back in the 2007 NBA Playoffs our 2nd best player was injured, and We never won a single game in the NBA Finals.

I know many Cavs fans hated Larry Hughes, but he was the 2nd best scorer in our team, and he also played some tough defense on Chauncey Billups in the ECF.

TMT
04-06-2009, 07:17 PM
I know it's painful to see your 3rd best player on the injured lists. Back in the 2007 NBA Playoffs our 2nd best player was injured, and We never won a single game in the NBA Finals.

I'd still say Hughes was behind Z.

#1SportsFan86
04-06-2009, 07:18 PM
"Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Champion"

gts
04-06-2009, 07:22 PM
tough one for the spurs to take... hope his recovery goes well... it's good they caught it..

the part of his leg that is broken is down near the knee joint if i'm not mistaken

StephenDedalus
04-06-2009, 07:26 PM
ugh... wow no on can stop the lakers then...
They could lose in the first round to dallas or utah. Not saying they will, but it could happen.

-M-I
04-06-2009, 07:28 PM
I'd rest Duncan.

craiye
04-06-2009, 07:29 PM
I see everyone on here is saying the Spurs lose in the second round. Who will they lose to? Denver? Utah? Houston? New Orleans? Portland?

I don't see any of those teams beating SA with or without Manu. I guess it mostly depends on first round match-ups though. I think Houston has the best shot, but if they play Utah in the first round i'm not sure they make it past.

Denver and Utah both have big problems with the Spurs, Portland has no real experience and New Orleans hasn't played as well this year. I'm just not sure someone will beat SA until the WCF.

StephenDedalus
04-06-2009, 07:32 PM

I know many Cavs fans hated Larry Hughes, but he was the 2nd best scorer in our team, and he also played some tough defense on Chauncey Billups in the ECF.

3rd best player? Are you kidding me man?

StephenDedalus
04-06-2009, 07:33 PM
I see everyone on here is saying the Spurs lose in the second round. Who will they lose to? Denver? Utah? Houston? New Orleans? Portland?

I don't see any of those teams beating SA with or without Manu. I guess it mostly depends on first round match-ups though. I think Houston has the best shot, but if they play Utah in the first round i'm not sure they make it past.

Denver and Utah both have big problems with the Spurs, Portland has no real experience and New Orleans hasn't played as well this year. I'm just not sure someone will beat SA until the WCF.

Dallas...

Lebron23
04-06-2009, 07:35 PM
3rd best player? Are you kidding me man?

This Season

1. Tony Parker
2. Tim Duncan
3. Manu Ginobili

hito da god
04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
does manu get the "injury prone" tag yet?

craiye
04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Dallas...

I'll agree that Dallas (and to a certain extent Phoenix) are best equipped to beat the Spurs out of the non-Lakers playoff teams, but I don't see either of those teams getting past the 8 seed and San Antonio isn't getting the #1 seed.

Neither Dallas or Phoenix is beating the Lakers in the first round, so it's very unlikely that either of those teams will play San Antonio in the playoffs this year.

If Dallas or Phoenix get up to the #7 seed it could happen since both have a shot against Denver at #2, then the Spurs in the second round or the Spurs at #2 in the first round. Still, it doesn't seem to likely to me.

nbastatus
04-06-2009, 07:38 PM
cant, because he got "iFlop" tag on.

GabeIsGone
04-06-2009, 07:38 PM
This Season

1. Tony Parker
2. Tim Duncan
3. Manu Ginobili

Least season there was some talk of manu getting mvp, he was beast before he got hurt. He really hasn't played this season, he was either hurt or 'recovering' the whole time.

Guess this is the beginning of the end for a dynasty.

TruthKGRay3412
04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
This is going to be nothing compared to the news that KG is out for the year (coming sooner or later).

Danny Ainge said KG should be 100% for the play-offs..or very close near it.

GabeIsGone
idk if there is new injury, i think his original one just never recovered. Fukin Olympics.

StephenDedalus
I'll agree that Dallas (and to a certain extent Phoenix) are best equipped to beat the Spurs out of the non-Lakers playoff teams, but I don't see either of those teams getting past the 8 seed and San Antonio isn't getting the #1 seed.

Neither Dallas or Phoenix is beating the Lakers in the first round, so it's very unlikely that either of those teams will play San Antonio in the playoffs this year.

If Dallas or Phoenix get up to the #7 seed it could happen since both have a shot against Denver at #2, then the Spurs in the second round or the Spurs at #2 in the first round. Still, it doesn't seem to likely to me.

Yeah thats what I think. If Dallas can get the 7 seed they could beat the nuggets and utah could definitely beat the lakers in a series. We will see how the seedings shape up soon.

Nugget X
04-06-2009, 07:45 PM

Ginobili has a wee bit to do with that. The Spurs are still good but it's obtuse to think Ginobili has no affect on matchups.

Jasper
04-06-2009, 07:49 PM
That injury looks more than a game type injury .

I wonder if it will threaten his career :confusedshrug:

Anybody out there with a medical background about Ginobili's injury ?

craiye
04-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Ginobili has a wee bit to do with that. The Spurs are still good but it's obtuse to think Ginobili has no affect on matchups.

For the Nuggets? Yeah Ginobili has something to do with it. The Jazz couldn't beat the Spurs if they sent the player's grandmothers out there. It's a mental thing with the Jazz.

The Nuggets would have a shot, but with Melo's playoff struggles and Chauncey's recent playoff struggles (he hasn't looked like he's had much left in the tank come playoff time the last few years) I'm not sure they beat the Spurs with or without Ginobili.

iTruWarrior
04-06-2009, 07:56 PM
I would say they have stepped down a lot now. I'm not sure if Manu playing with the injury would even help them though.

At least they know he's not playing. Spurs now, know how the Rockets felt earlier this year when we went through the T-Mac drama.

wang4three
04-06-2009, 07:57 PM
huge, huge blow. The playoffs are not the same without Manu being Manu.

Rockets(T-mac)
04-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Sucks. Lakers are going to have a much easier time knowing this.

iTruWarrior
04-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Sucks. Lakers are going to have a much easier time knowing this.
You mean they weren't going to have an easy time? The Lakers have a cake walk to the Finals this year.

Rockets(T-mac)
04-06-2009, 08:21 PM
You mean they weren't going to have an easy time? The Lakers have a cake walk to the Finals this year.
Yeah and they won't have to really worry. They can be on cruise control all the way to the finals.

Nugget X
04-06-2009, 08:22 PM
For the Nuggets? Yeah Ginobili has something to do with it. The Jazz couldn't beat the Spurs if they sent the player's grandmothers out there. It's a mental thing with the Jazz.

The Nuggets would have a shot, but with Melo's playoff struggles and Chauncey's recent playoff struggles (he hasn't looked like he's had much left in the tank come playoff time the last few years) I'm not sure they beat the Spurs with or without Ginobili.

We'll see, but I'm looking at it more from the Spurs perspective. Ginobili has been a huge part of their success since he came into the league. He's been a key cog in what makes them "The Spurs" that gives everyone trouble. Take him away and saying they'll still be giving teams trouble because they are "The Spurs" is no different than saying the same thing if Duncan or Parker were out.

As for the Nuggets, everyone and their grandmother is assuming by default that the Nuggets are no different than they have been the past five seasons. Which is fine. It's going to be up to them to prove differently... I really don't know if they will or not.

SCdac
04-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Fuuuuuuukkkkk that sucks!

:banghead:

oh the horror
04-06-2009, 08:24 PM
So, with this new info coming out...Do the Spurs finally make massive changes to their team during the offseason?

I think its time.

ihatetimthomas
04-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Im wondering if this is the beginning of the end for Manu. Manu has been hampered with injuries for the past few years. He seems to be getting more and more injury prone in the past few seasons. If so, its a real shame bc he is a very talented and gifted player. People may call the Spurs boring, but Manu is/was one of the most entertaining players to watch. A few years back, he was up there in talks with Wade and Kobe for top shooting guards.

He really does so much for the Spurs, and those who think they will be OK in the playoffs are mistaken. They are a team who works as a group, as a whole. Manu brought a different element that no one, not Roger Mason, could bring on that team. He could break down offenses, spread the floor, and lead the Spurs offensively from stints.

Spurs have a great system, and are well coached, so they will always keep things competitive. But they are in trouble w/o Manu.

#1SportsFan86
04-06-2009, 08:26 PM

Over confidence will get the Lakers a first round exit man, the Lakers better hope somebody puts the Blazers out the playoffs because everybody know that's the last team the Lakers wonna see.

iTruWarrior
04-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Over confidence will get the Lakers a first round exit man, the Lakers better hope somebody puts the Blazers out the playoffs because everybody know that's the last team the Lakers wonna see.
Even if they face the Blazers which they won't, Lakers would win the series still because they have homecourt.

shortlunatic
04-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Wow, i think thtas prety much it for the Spurs then. Damn that really sucks, i was really looking forward to Spurs playing in a series with the Lakers, with newly acquired Gooden, and a healthy Ginobli together. O well. At least i can have more confidence in my Nuggets again. I think they really have what it takes to be in the WCF now.

shortlunatic
04-06-2009, 08:29 PM

:wtf: Nuggets, Rockets, Blazers...cake walk??

mrpuente
04-06-2009, 08:32 PM
:cry:

iTruWarrior
04-06-2009, 08:34 PM
:wtf: Nuggets, Rockets, Blazers...cake walk??
Yes...Cake walk. The only team that has any chance at stopping them is the Nuggets. Even then, I would suppose the Lakers would destroy them since the Nuggets are still more of an offensive team than defensive.

Lakers can outscore anybody in the NBA and they can break apart any defenes thrown at them. The East is where the Lakers' challengers are at.

shortlunatic
04-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Yes...Cake walk. The only team that has any chance at stopping them is the Nuggets. Even then, I would suppose the Lakers would destroy them since the Nuggets are still more of an offensive team than defensive.

Lakers can outscore anybody in the NBA and they can break apart any defenes thrown at them. The East is where the Lakers' challengers are at.

ok than say that, dnt say its gonna be a cake walk. a cake walk is like when they played the Nuggets last year in the first round. But in no way are they gonna sweep every single team and play like thay dint need to put effort in any of em. You shoud learn how to use terms properly.

And the Nuggets have become one of the better defensive teams in the NBA this year, yea there better parts are on offense, but they shouldnt be regarded as a team that doesnt need to be carefully prepared for.

iTruWarrior
04-06-2009, 08:43 PM
ok than say that, dnt say its gonna be a cake walk. a cake walk is like when they played the Nuggets last year in the first round. But in no way are they gonna sweep every single team and play like thay dint need to put effort in any of em. You shoud learn how to use terms properly.

And the Nuggets have become one of the better defensive teams in the NBA this year, yea there better parts are on offense, but they shouldnt be regarded as a team that doesnt need to be carefully prepared for.Lakers cruised in last year's playoffs... Yeah they practiced, but they still cruised it and had a cake walk.

Lakers are going to lose at the most 2-3 games, facing Western Conference teams in the playoffs.

catzhernandez
04-06-2009, 08:43 PM
This is exactly what I was thinking earlier.

Maniak
04-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Not good for the Spurs(or those rooting for them to win it all this year)

SCdac
04-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Im wondering if this is the beginning of the end for Manu. Manu has been hampered with injuries for the past few years. He seems to be getting more and more injury prone in the past few seasons. If so, its a real shame bc he is a very talented and gifted player. People may call the Spurs boring, but Manu is/was one of the most entertaining players to watch. A few years back, he was up there in talks with Wade and Kobe for top shooting guards.

He really does so much for the Spurs, and those who think they will be OK in the playoffs are mistaken. They are a team who works as a group, as a whole. Manu brought a different element that no one, not Roger Mason, could bring on that team. He could break down offenses, spread the floor, and lead the Spurs offensively from stints.

Spurs have a great system, and are well coached, so they will always keep things competitive. But they are in trouble w/o Manu.

I'm a Spurs fan through and through, have watched almost every Spurs game the past 4 years or so... and I wholeheartedly agree with you. Roger Mason cannot fill the void left by Manu, as much as anybody would like to think he can, he can't. Hell, even this season he was talked about as a top-5 shooting guard, let alone a few years back. Manu is the most unpredictable, sneaky player, and the toughest competitor I've ever watched in the 00's. And his tenacity didn't stop on offense, which is why he will be hard to replace, if at all possible...

That's not to say I don't have any faith that the Spurs can rise up and truly compete (there is Duncan, Popovich, and Parker after all) but damn their chances just dropped significantly, and Spurs fans know this as much as anybody.

shortlunatic
04-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Lakers cruised in last year's playoffs... Yeah they practiced, but they still cruised it and had a cake walk.

Lakers are going to lose at the most 2-3 games, facing Western Conference teams in the playoffs.

well i beg to differ. Especially the way they have been playing recently, i would expect the Blazers, Rockets, and Nuggets to give the Lakers a decent amount of competition in the playoffs, at least if they end up running into any of those teams.

JordanL
04-06-2009, 08:51 PM
I feel terrible for Manu, but maybe this means Portland can get the game in San Antonio... I dunno... it's possible this will drop the Spurs to the 4-5 seed, and I'm not sure if I'd rather face Houston or a Manu-less Spurs.

iTruWarrior
04-06-2009, 08:52 PM
well i beg to differ. Especially the way they have been playing recently, i would expect the Blazers, Rockets, and Nuggets to give the Lakers a decent amount of competition in the playoffs, at least if they end up running into any of those teams.
They would only be seeing 2 out of the 3. Blazers would be the only team that would give them any trouble anyways.

Kobe owns the Rockets and any team in Texas. Kobe and Gasol would have no problem against the Nuggets either.

Phil Jackson is the smartest coach in the NBA right now and probably all-time. Nobody can out-coach him, if you give him enough talent on his side.

Duncan21formvp
04-06-2009, 08:53 PM
We have Duncan, that is all that needs to be said.

shortlunatic
04-06-2009, 08:57 PM
They would only be seeing 2 out of the 3. Blazers would be the only team that would give them any trouble anyways.

Kobe owns the Rockets and any team in Texas. Kobe and Gasol would have no problem against the Nuggets either.

Phil Jackson is the smartest coach in the NBA right now and probably all-time. Nobody can out-coach him, if you give him enough talent on his side.

i will stay that i think the Rockets would give them some trouble, and Nene is a very underated defensive player. I take you havent watched very much Nugg b ball recently. J.R. is much less of a liability on defense, and k-Mart is a very solid all-around player now. I think it will take more than Kobe and Gasol to get by the Nuggs. The only teams i honestly think they would have a "cake walk" with, are the NOH, Jazz, Mavericks, and possibly the Spurs, now that they dont have Ginobli.

I dnt get ur last part, but Doc sure out coached Phil last year in the Finals. If he can do it, i think other coaches can.

iTruWarrior
04-06-2009, 09:00 PM
i will stay that i think the Rockets would give them some trouble, and Nene is a very underated defensive player. I take you havent watched very much Nugg b ball recently. J.R. is much less of a liability on defense, and k-Mart is a very solid all-around player now. I think it will take more than Kobe and Gasol to get by the Nuggs. The only teams i honestly think they would have a "cake walk" with, are the NOH, Jazz, Mavericks, and possibly the Spurs, now that they dont have Ginobli.

I dnt get ur last part, but Doc sure out coached Phil last year in the Finals. If he can do it, i think other coaches can.
As for the Rockets, I am a Rockets fan and Phil has been outcoaching Rick since Day 1 of his coaching job. Phil Jackson is smart enough to expose Yao's pick n roll defense and with Kobe and Gasol in the pick n roll that's unstoppable right there. Especially since Kobe is probably the best pick n roll shooting guard in the NBA. They would also do the same to Kenyon Martin and Nene and the Denver Nuggets.

Nobody can defend Kobe on the Nuggets. Nuggets even had to resort by putting Kenyon Martin on Kobe last year. That was just how terrible they were defensively.

ihatetimthomas
I'm a Spurs fan through and through, have watched almost every Spurs game the past 4 years or so... and I wholeheartedly agree with you. Roger Mason cannot fill the void left by Manu, as much as anybody would like to think he can, he can't. Hell, even this season he was talked about as a top-5 shooting guard, let alone a few years back. Manu is the most unpredictable, sneaky player, and the toughest competitor I've ever watched in the 00's. And his tenacity didn't stop on offense, which is why he will be hard to replace, if at all possible...

That's not to say I don't have any faith that the Spurs can rise up and truly compete (there is Duncan, Popovich, and Parker after all) but damn their chances just dropped significantly, and Spurs fans know this as much as anybody.

He def. is elusive and sneaky with the ball. I'd call him unorthodox on offense. He has a very unique game and is really good at all aspectsof the game. He is a true winner, and he has proven that internationally and on the Spurs. This is why I really hope he can heal and play a few more years. But as of now, I havnt really even heard of an injury like that. Best of luck to him

I would never count them out bc like you said Pop, Parker, Duncan...but it will be tough. Parker is going to have to step up big time and Duncan will have to turn the clock back if they stand a chance in the west

KeylessEntry
Wow this is a huge blow to the Spurs. I think their title chances are done.

NugzFan
04-06-2009, 09:07 PM
As for the Rockets, I am a Rockets fan and Phil has been outcoaching Rick since Day 1 of his coaching job. Phil Jackson is smart enough to expose Yao's pick n roll defense and with Kobe and Gasol in the pick n roll that's unstoppable right there. Especially since Kobe is probably the best pick n roll shooting guard in the NBA. They would also do the same to Kenyon Martin and Nene and the Denver Nuggets.

Nobody can defend Kobe on the Nuggets. Nuggets even had to resort by putting Kenyon Martin on Kobe last year. That was just how terrible they were defensively.

last years nuggets D wasnt as good as this years team.

iTruWarrior
04-06-2009, 09:11 PM
last years nuggets D wasnt as good as this years team.
I realize that.....But they are still more of an offensive team than a defensive team. Again, who is going to guard Kobe? Jones? Melo? Either way, Kobe is going to torch them..... and If Kobe can't get it going they are going to go to Pau Gasol.

They have the best 1-2 punch in the game right now.

shortlunatic
04-06-2009, 09:14 PM

again, you must not have watched any nuggets b ball at all this year to be bringing up the 8th seed nuggets team of last year n comparing them to the 2nd seed nuggets team of this year. Not only has billups helped this team defensively, but Nene is now fully healthy, and J.R. is really starting to emerge as a solid player. I dint get to watch the game this year against LA, but last i heard, J.R. did a good job of guarding Kobe. Not saying Nuggets will beat LA, but u are really snoozing if you think they are anything like they were last year.

nbastatus
04-06-2009, 09:18 PM
manu doesnt care!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ylGYiT8FAIM/SCg7oB5etfI/AAAAAAAAAgw/24kY9U3UtRE/s320/pinocchio.jpg

Bond007
04-06-2009, 09:20 PM
I never underestimate the spurs , but realistically speaking they have NO chance against the Lakers. Manu was a huge piece to their system which Mason is far from filling given his relative lack of playoff experience yet. Kobe will destroy the spurs again due to the mismatch

ScolaFan
04-06-2009, 09:24 PM

When you've helped your team win 3 championships you can never be labeled that. :mad:

ihatetimthomas
04-06-2009, 09:30 PM
When you've helped your team win 3 championships you can never be labeled that. :mad:

He's helped the SPurs big time but the guy seems like he cant stay healthy for the past few season. Even int he playoffs last year he was playing injured

Jordandunk23
04-06-2009, 09:30 PM
I still dont believe that san antonio is done.. They have two finals mvp in their roster in Tim Duncan and Tony Parker... no they don't have their big three, but spurs have always worked with less in terms of established names and talents... I wouldn't put their title chances at a high possibility but i would not count them out either...

ihatetimthomas
04-06-2009, 09:33 PM
I still dont believe that san antonio is done.. They have two finals mvp in their roster in Tim Duncan and Tony Parker... no they don't have their big three, but spurs have always worked with less in terms of established names and talents... I wouldn't put their title chances at a high possibility but i would not count them out either...

When they won their last few titles, Manu was a very integral piece to the puzzle and they likely would not have won any of those without him. I still think they will keep things competitive, but in the end they just wont have enough

iTruWarrior
04-06-2009, 09:36 PM
again, you must not have watched any nuggets b ball at all this year to be bringing up the 8th seed nuggets team of last year n comparing them to the 2nd seed nuggets team of this year. Not only has billups helped this team defensively, but Nene is now fully healthy, and J.R. is really starting to emerge as a solid player. I dint get to watch the game this year against LA, but last i heard, J.R. did a good job of guarding Kobe. Not saying Nuggets will beat LA, but u are really snoozing if you think they are anything like they were last year.
Yes, he did a great job defending Kobe. Just look at his averages in last year's playoffs.

35+ PPG, Just because you love the Nuggets doesn't mean you have to be delusional and say J.R Smith shut him down.

This season
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=281101007

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=281121013

KeylessEntry
04-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Yes, he did a great job defending Kobe. Just look at his averages in last year's playoffs.

35+ PPG, Just because you love the Nuggets doesn't mean you have to be delusional and say J.R Smith shut him down.

This season

I think JR smith is a mediocre defender at best. However the nuggets also picked up Donte Jones at SG and he is a fantastic defender. He completely shut down Roy a few times this season.

I doubt he can shut down Kobe though

Allstar24
04-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Wow, bad news for the Spurs...but he was banged up last year as well and they still made it to the WCF.

iTruWarrior
04-06-2009, 09:41 PM
I think JR smith is a mediocre defender at best. However the nuggets also picked up Donte Jones at SG and he is a fantastic defender. He completely shut down Roy a few times this season.

I doubt he can shut down Kobe though
Mediocre is a good word to describe his defense. I'm not saying he's sub par defenisvely, I'm just saying he's not that good. He's probably an average defender.

Again, average defense doesn't shut down Kobe. As a matter of fact elite man to man defense doesn't even stop Kobe.

sixerfan82
04-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Well, 2009 won't be the spurs, Maybe 2010 will be the first even Spurs title.

Jordandunk23
04-06-2009, 10:20 PM
When they won their last few titles, Manu was a very integral piece to the puzzle and they likely would not have won any of those without him. I still think they will keep things competitive, but in the end they just wont have enough

don't get me wrong, i understand the importance of manu ginobili, notice i labeled him as part of the big 3. but people have gone as far as labeling ginobili as the 2nd best SG in the NBA and he is far from it. Spurs are built around defense and smart players. with the core of duncan and parker, spurs will still have a chance at the ring. guys like mason and especially the veteran players on the roster has to step it up... the regular season performances will not be acceptable come playoff time... again i believe their chances are slim but i would not count them out.

ihatetimthomas
04-06-2009, 10:29 PM
don't get me wrong, i understand the importance of manu ginobili, notice i labeled him as part of the big 3. but people have gone as far as labeling ginobili as the 2nd best SG in the NBA and he is far from it. Spurs are built around defense and smart players. with the core of duncan and parker, spurs will still have a chance at the ring. guys like mason and especially the veteran players on the roster has to step it up... the regular season performances will not be acceptable come playoff time... again i believe their chances are slim but i would not count them out.

The thing is, Mason is not anything like Manu. Sure he has range, but Manu has range, ball handling, and can finish in the paint. He also has a ton of experience which is unmeasurable. I know you understand Manu's importance, but I do think you are underrating his impact here a bit.

Because they are a solidly built team, they will keep it competitive, but I really dont think they can take out the Lakers or C's and Cavs w/o Manu. The thing is Manu really creates havoc for the defense of opposing teams and really opens the lanes for TD and Parker. But even a Manu-less Spurs squad is still a handful for any team, just gonna be hard in those game 6 and 7's w/o him

Younggrease
04-06-2009, 10:32 PM
I really don't think this changes the WC playoff picture all that much, to be honest. The Spurs were going to win a maximum of one playoff series, imho.

Still... It is never good for the NBA when a star player gets knocked out for the season.

agreed...the only team I was/am worried about is NOH...

unbreakable
04-06-2009, 10:36 PM

:oldlol: :oldlol:

Its obvious you have little respect for the Spurs' 4 championships. They were a lock for WCF or Finals appearance with Manu. Seriously.. take a history lesson on Spurs Basketball, kid.

spursdynasty420
04-06-2009, 10:42 PM
agreed...the only team I was/am worried about is NOH...

you mean the team the spurs beat last year in the playoffs?

Younggrease
04-06-2009, 10:45 PM
you mean the team the spurs beat last year in the playoffs?

yes...thats the team I mean. I was very happy when SAS beat them last year

Kujo
04-06-2009, 10:54 PM
I know the Spurs play their best ball in the playoffs, but I think they're done. I predict they'll be out in the first round. Manu is their heart and soudl.

The Hornet's would be a favorable match up, but I don't see them beating Portland, even though Portland's roster has no playoff experience. I think Portland's youth, and athleticism would give the Spurs a lot of trouble.

Bodin
04-06-2009, 11:20 PM
I guess my Spurs/Orlando prediction is out the window.

Utah/Orlando final!! ;)

JustinJDW
04-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Damn this really ****ing sucks. :(

Alright Tony Parker. It's time to prove why you were give a Finals MVP. As for everybody else, they better step up. Roger Mason, Drew Gooden, Bruce Bowen, Ime Udoka, its time to step up.

I really don't like how people are saying they will be elimnated in the First Round or even Second Round. Come on guys, the Spurs played without Manu for damn near half the Season, and they kept that Second Seed the whole time with Teams like the Nuggets and Rockets right on their heels. Pop is way too good a Coach and the Spurs have way too much talent and experience to just crumble down because of an injury. Do I think we will win a Championship? No. Do I think we will be eliminated in the First Round? Hell No! Who the hell is going to eliminate us? The Rockets? The Mavs? The struggling Hornets? Psh please. The Lakers are the only Team that can really face us head on and eliminate us.

With all this said, I have faith in my Spurs. This is my Team and I am going to support them all the way. Go Spurs Go!

All Net
04-07-2009, 01:32 AM
I doubt Spurs even get to the conference finals now.....Lakers should win the west without any problem really.

KenneBell
04-07-2009, 01:42 AM
I doubt Spurs even get to the conference finals now.....Lakers should win the west without any problem really.
When's the last time these Lakers did anything without a problem?:roll:

ihatetimthomas
04-07-2009, 01:44 AM
When's the last time these Lakers did anything without a problem?:roll:

Win the west?:confusedshrug:

Jordandunk23
04-07-2009, 01:48 AM
The thing is, Mason is not anything like Manu. Sure he has range, but Manu has range, ball handling, and can finish in the paint. He also has a ton of experience which is unmeasurable. I know you understand Manu's importance, but I do think you are underrating his impact here a bit.

Because they are a solidly built team, they will keep it competitive, but I really dont think they can take out the Lakers or C's and Cavs w/o Manu. The thing is Manu really creates havoc for the defense of opposing teams and really opens the lanes for TD and Parker. But even a Manu-less Spurs squad is still a handful for any team, just gonna be hard in those game 6 and 7's w/o him

i guess we'll just have to see... the spurs currently as they are, i wouldn't be comfortable putting my money to be champions BUT, i do believe they are phenomenal team that can heat things up... guess we'll just have to wait and see...

reppy
04-07-2009, 01:52 AM
Tough news.

bdreason
04-07-2009, 02:09 AM
I bet the Spurs are loving the fact that Ginobili played all summer for his Country.

I wouldn't pay my players to play International ball, period. The NBA Championship is all that matters. If they want to play for their country for free, then they can play for their NBA team for free as well.

iamgine
04-07-2009, 02:28 AM
Why would they announce it now? Why not just say that he might come back sometime in the playoff so teams have to prepare defensive plays for him?

Or is this just a decoy and he will actually come back in the playoff? :banana:

raptorfan_dr07
04-07-2009, 03:06 AM
Phil has been outcoaching Rick since Day 1 of his coaching job.

He sure didn't in the 2002 WCF.

raptorfan_dr07
04-07-2009, 03:19 AM
I doubt Spurs even get to the conference finals now.....Lhttp://www.insidehoops.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=2867358akers should win the west without any problem really.

While I think the Spurs chances are definitely hampered a bit with Manu's injury, the Lakers will get knocked out early. Oh they'll win their first round match up all right but will lose in either the second round or conference finals. The Spurs are still led by two former Finals MVPs(one of which is having an amazing season) and I think the Nuggets will pose a serious threat as well as a few other teams. The Nuggets are also led by a former Finals MVP, something Kobe will likely never get.

KenneBell
04-07-2009, 03:25 AM
People really don't want to see the Lakers win this season do they?

godofgods
04-07-2009, 03:33 AM
Now if we can have Kobe out of the season, that would be good.

Quata
04-07-2009, 04:23 AM
This news pains me. Injuries in professional sport is the most frustrating thing to a fan ever. All real fans want to see the highest quality of play possible, its pathetic to think some people are glad this happened because it gives their team a better chance to win (im primarily a utah/lakers/phoenix fan as well). When healthy, manu ginobli is the best at shifting a games momentum in the league. While kobe, wade and lebron may be the best at handling games themselves, but teams are left answerless when manu comes off the bench and drops dagger 3's, does his drive and draw an and1. I really hope mason can keep the spurs highly competitive, hes shown he can bomb some clutch 3s himself :)

oh the horror
04-07-2009, 04:28 AM
People really don't want to see the Lakers win this season do they?

Nope, but unfortunately everyone who doesnt want it to happen is going to have to grow to like it because they're at LEAST making it to the finals again.

With the exception of major injury, or a total meltdown, the Lakers are head and shoulders better than every team in the western conference, and none of them are capable of beating a Lakers team in a 7 game series. It just isnt happening.

Lebron23
04-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Spurs are going to be eliminated in the First Round of the playoffs, and this is probably the end of an Era.

Duncan suck major @ss in the last 2 weeks, and Parker already took over as the best player on his team.

Aidan
04-07-2009, 06:41 AM
Nobody's stopping the Lakers out west now.

Spurs will make it out of the first round, but after that, it's a major question mark.

All Net
04-07-2009, 09:28 AM
While I think the Spurs chances are definitely hampered a bit with Manu's injury, the Lakers will get knocked out early. Oh they'll win their first round match up all right but will lose in either the second round or conference finals. The Spurs are still led by two former Finals MVPs(one of which is having an amazing season) and I think the Nuggets will pose a serious threat as well as a few other teams. The Nuggets are also led by a former Finals MVP, something Kobe will likely never get.

Please, with Bynum and Ariza back there should be nobody who can even get them a good enough challenge in the west. Lakers coasted through the west last year without Bynum and Ariza..with them back it would take a complete meltdown for anybody else to be able to beat them.

BIG FURB
04-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Man, that sucks for the Spurs. Didn't they have an opportunity to trade for VC at the trading deadline? In light of the circumstances they probably should've pulled the trigger on that deal

DukeDelonte13
04-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Man, that sucks for the Spurs. Didn't they have an opportunity to trade for VC at the trading deadline? In light of the circumstances they probably should've pulled the trigger on that deal

Aren't you forgetting the Drew Gooden Blockbuster Acquisition? :D

Hotlantadude81
04-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Well, it looks like the Spurs great run is coming to an end. The injuries are starting to pile up on them. Mano is older than I thought. He and Duncan are both approaching the mid 30's.

shortlunatic
04-07-2009, 10:17 PM

This season

i like how u again bring up last year like it matters. you are so reatrded, how many times do i have to say that last year is not this year. And i like how u decided to just ignore the game in which the nuggs beat the lakers, cuz that was the last time they played the Lakers. And i NEVER said that JR shut down kobe, u are just putting words in my mouth. i just said that i HEARD that JR did a good job defending him. I dnt have the boxscore, n i dnt feel like looking it up, all im sayin is that i heard he did a good job defending kobe, thats all.

mbell75
04-08-2009, 03:49 PM
There goes the Spurs championship hopes, oh well.

unbreakable
04-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Spurs are going to be eliminated in the First Round of the playoffs, and this is probably the end of an Era.

Duncan suck major @ss in the last 2 weeks, and Parker already took over as the best player on his team.

:oldlol:

Why do you hate the Spurs so much? Just because we swept you? Dont be mad, kid. We've taken out damn near every team in the last 10 years. Youre just another name on the list.

unbreakable
04-08-2009, 04:27 PM

:oldlol: :oldlol:

Its obvious you have little respect for the Spurs' 4 championships. They were a lock for WCF or Finals appearance with Manu. Seriously.. take a history lesson on Spurs Basketball, kid.

*posted this again .. show yourself, RedBlack.

iTruWarrior
04-08-2009, 04:31 PM
i like how u again bring up last year like it matters. you are so reatrded, how many times do i have to say that last year is not this year. And i like how u decided to just ignore the game in which the nuggs beat the lakers, cuz that was the last time they played the Lakers. And i NEVER said that JR shut down kobe, u are just putting words in my mouth. i just said that i HEARD that JR did a good job defending him. I dnt have the boxscore, n i dnt feel like looking it up, all im sayin is that i heard he did a good job defending kobe, thats all.
I just showed you it.... You fail. J.r Smith shutting down Kobe is just like asking Howard to shut down Yao.

niko
04-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Let's not rewrite the script for this year and make it sound like with Manu the spurs were a lock for the title. Healthy Manu was not young Manu and Duncan was banged up too. Saying the spurs had a chance to beat the Lakers if everyone was healthy is fair, but as the years go on that is becoming such a big IF that it's not even fair to speculate about it, it's almost a given that when playoff time rolls around, someone will be hurt, most likely Manu.