PDA

View Full Version : Barkley: If Kobe doesn't win now, he never will...

Showtime
04-15-2009, 02:55 AM
I thought that was an interesting quote. The general consensus is that LA has no competition on their way to the finals. They have the most talented team overall, and arguably the deepest bench in the game. They can win on the road, and account for Cleveland's only home loss. So if Kobe doesn't get it done with all this in his favor, will he ever if he's in a more difficult situation down the road? Is the pressure to win as "the man" irrelevant?

nbastatus
04-15-2009, 02:56 AM
i agree with barkley.

branslowski
04-15-2009, 02:58 AM
I thought that was an interesting quote. The general consensus is that LA has no competition on their way to the finals. They have the most talented team overall, and arguably the deepest bench in the game. They can win on the road, and account for Cleveland's only home loss. So if Kobe doesn't get it done with all this in his favor, will he ever if he's in a more difficult situation down the road? Is the pressure to win as "the man" irrelevant?

He also said Kobe is th Best In The Game, but if LeBron wins it this year, LeBron is the Best...

Showtime
04-15-2009, 02:59 AM
He also said Kobe is th Best In The Game, but if LeBron wins it this year, LeBron is the Best...
So, Kobe is the best player in the game, on the best team, so how much of a letdown would it be if he can't pull out the win? If he can't win now, will he ever?

MMM
04-15-2009, 03:00 AM
LA will be contenders for years to come at least for the next 3-4 years maybe longer. However, if kobe doesn't win one this year or next he might not ever win one as the "man" but he might get a few as a 2nd fiddle/role player.

Ken_Masters
04-15-2009, 03:00 AM
I think the Lakers HAVE to win it all this year simply because they probably won't be able to re-sign Lamar Odom, who is the real reason that they are better than every other team in the league. Without Odom, they come back down to the pack, and teams will have a much better chance of taking them out in a series.

Allstar24
04-15-2009, 03:01 AM
How many rings does Barkley have again? He should refrain from speaking about topics he is not too familiar with...

KeylessEntry
04-15-2009, 03:02 AM
Disagree.

Kobe is 30 right now, he has another 3 good years left before his legs start slowing down and he wont be able to handle the scoring load like he does now, but I think Kobe could make it to 37 or older before retiring. He has always been fairly durable, and even if he doesnt win as the main man now, he could always win in the future if Bynum, Ariza, and whoever else the Lakers steal from teams like the Grizzlies become dominant and Kobe wins another title as a veteran role player type.

I think it comes down to "can Kobe swallow his ego and be the third best player on a team", and I think he will be able to do that.

cotdt
04-15-2009, 03:04 AM
Kobe's father still plays basketball, so I say Kobe can stay in the NBA till he's 50.

andgar923
04-15-2009, 03:05 AM
I don't think so, and here's why.....

Aside from Kobe and Fish, the main core of the Lakers is still rather young and improving.

Kobe will still avg 25 pts and he can drop 40+ on any given night, he's only 31.

But even if Kobe's play drops, the Lakers don't need him to play at a high level.

They've shown that they can win and be very productive if Kobe doesn't drop 30 pts.

The biggest threat is the Cavs because the Celts are older. The Blazers are a problem in the regular season, but I'm not sure if they're built for the playoffs just yet. Not for another 3 years at least.

I think the Lakers can contend for another 5 seasons, and if Bynum develops like many think he is, even more. With Kobe riding shotgun to Gasol and Bynum.

andgar923
04-15-2009, 03:06 AM
How many rings does Barkley have again? He should refrain from speaking about topics he is not too familiar with...

Actually.... he's very familiar with that.

MMM
04-15-2009, 03:09 AM

Barley having rings or not is irrelevant if you disagree with him attack the points he is making. I mean if he had said the same think but had won a ring does it change it. Wouldn't you still feel he is making a fallacious statement.

plowking
04-15-2009, 03:10 AM
Just out of interest, which Lakers team do people think is better? The Shaq/Kobe Lakers or the current Lakers?

Istealfrombums
04-15-2009, 03:13 AM
Just out of interest, which Lakers team do people think is better? The Shaq/Kobe Lakers or the current Lakers?

This team needs to prove to us that they can win before we can compare them to one of the best teams of this decade.

jason816
04-15-2009, 03:14 AM

Shaq's Lakers ofcoz. Who could stop Shaq back then?

Allstar24
04-15-2009, 03:23 AM
Actually.... he's very familiar with that.
How so? The closest he got to a title was the NBA Finals...

Barley having rings or not is irrelevant if you disagree with him attack the points he is making. I mean if he had said the same think but had won a ring does it change it. Wouldn't you still feel he is making a fallacious statement.
His points are too ridiculous (as they always are) for me to address. When was the last time one of his "predictions" came true? The Lakers will be contenders for the next few years, this is not a situation where if we don't win this year, we're done. Dr. Buss and Mitch has managed to put together a talented team that is capable of winning the championship every year for the next few years, deal with it Chuck :rolleyes:

Micku
04-15-2009, 03:43 AM

I would say the current Lakers have more talent, but they haven't went all the way yet. I would still say that the 00 would beat the current Lakers despite the fact that I think the current Lakers have more weapons.

lilderrickrose
04-15-2009, 03:50 AM
how many titles did barkley win again?

RedBlackAttack
04-15-2009, 03:50 AM
How so? The closest he got to a title was the NBA Finals...

How close have you gotten? It certainly hasn't hindered your drive to share opinions on the matter.

oh the horror
04-15-2009, 03:52 AM
Honestly in my opinion, the Lakers are still a player or two away from tweaking their roster into a championship team.

And not to mention some of their players are still growing. So I dont know about this being the year, all or bust.

cotdt
04-15-2009, 03:55 AM
The Lakers can still improve their team. Get Chris Paul and Lebron James.

Then they could beat the Celtics or Cavs no problem.

oh the horror
04-15-2009, 04:09 AM
The Lakers can still improve their team. Get Chris Paul and Lebron James.

Then they could beat the Celtics or Cavs no problem.

And how would they get Chris Paul and Lebron James? Dark magic and voodoo?

cotdt
04-15-2009, 04:20 AM
And how would they get Chris Paul and Lebron James? Dark magic and voodoo?

Same way Lakers got Kobe and Gasol, of course. Trade Luke Walkton for Lebron and Jordan Farmar for Chris Paul.

macforever
04-15-2009, 04:34 AM
We all know it would finally turn out to be a Kobe vs Lebron matchup as Stern designed.

NBA = Epic fail

TheCord#20
04-15-2009, 04:37 AM

And how many do you have?

Suprageex
04-15-2009, 04:52 AM
Shaq's Lakers ofcoz. Who could stop Shaq back then?
errr, what would you do if a 7ft tall, 325lb guy comes running towards you and you're the only one standing between him and the basket?:oldlol:

On-topic tho, I think that the Lakers really should win this season. They have a really talented team and should be able to become champs. Blaming it all on Kobe isn't going to work either. :rolleyes: I agree that a game can be lost due to 1 player only, but a potential championship winning team should know each other quite well to make a firm base for winning...

godofgods
04-15-2009, 05:02 AM
Same way Lakers got Kobe and Gasol, of course. Trade Luke Walkton for Lebron and Jordan Farmar for Chris Paul.

Nobody would be surprised if the Fakers pull those trades off. Absolutely nobody.

Charles_Oakley
04-15-2009, 05:56 AM
I think Barkley is wrong.

I mean, yes, Kobe struggles when he's the man but he's shown that he can play his role better when he's the sidekick.

This year Gasol became close to being the man but he's still the sidekick. Since Kobe's impact is diminishing with age and his teammates are getting better and better, I'd say in the next years, Kobe could become the sidekick again and Lakers could win the championship.

Roundball_Rock
04-15-2009, 06:23 AM
This assumes Kobe will suddenly fall off. He is 30 years old right now. Many great players, like MJ and Karl Malone, continued to play at a MVP level up until age 34-35. There is no reason to believe Kobe will go in the tank next year or the year after that. His team should be perennial contenders to win the title for the next few years. I do think, though, that this is his best chance to win as the #1 since he probably has the best team in the league behind him as opposed to a 55 win 3 seed type team that he may have down the road.

momo
04-15-2009, 06:49 AM
If Barkley does not win it all this year he never... wait. Never mind.

Meticode
04-15-2009, 06:49 AM
So, Kobe is the best player in the game, on the best team, so how much of a letdown would it be if he can't pull out the win? If he can't win now, will he ever?

No. no and no.

zabuza666
04-15-2009, 07:27 AM

/yawn attacking the source is such a pathetic defense and makes you look like a homer.

Meticode
04-15-2009, 07:30 AM

He doesn't how any rings. Which means he should know about missed opportunities best I would think. :oldlol:

Torious
04-15-2009, 07:58 AM
I think the Lakers HAVE to win it all this year simply because they probably won't be able to re-sign Lamar Odom, who is the real reason that they are better than every other team in the league. Without Odom, they come back down to the pack, and teams will have a much better chance of taking them out in a series.

What makes you think, that Lamar isn't going to resign with the Lakers? He has repeatedly said, that he wants to be a Laker for the rest of his career and that he'd take less money to stay.

A few quotes:

"I want to be a Laker for the rest of my life. I'm a rock star. I can't help it. Some people want me to go, some people want me to stay.

"I want to stay. I love L.A. I'm done moving around. I've been in L.A. since 1999. Why would I want to go anywhere else? And I want to win the big one. Why not? You're playing, you might as well want to win, right? I've lost plenty. It's time to win.

Odom gets something like 15 mil this season and if he settles for half that or even 10 mio, there's really no reason why he shouldn't be a Laker for the rest of his career. It's not like the league can FORCE him to take a higher contract if another team actually offers one.

The only key guy for I'm unsure about for next season is Ariza. I'm quite sure that he wants to see some money after what he's done for the Lakers this season.

Who knows, Kobe might even obt out of his ridiculous 23 something milion contract to give the Lakers some breathing room... AHAHahahaha... yeah, I don't believe that one either. :lol

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 08:12 AM

I think people were saying the same thing last year.

Never is a strong word.

D-nugz
04-15-2009, 08:34 AM
I agree with Barkley except the title should be "win as the main man", with the type of team Lakers are now if Kobe doesn't win with this team he won't win as the main man.
To be honest I don't believe he is the main man I think there are two main guys on the Lakers Kobe + Gasol that is what makes the Lakers so good and there quality bench.

gpfanz
04-15-2009, 09:55 AM
I hope Kobe wins too else Gasol is going to make the black mumba his scapegoat :banana:

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Lol, some of you fools are...just...fools. Okay, Kobe is 30. How does he suddenly become old and a shell of his former self? Dude will play till he is 40. Put up HOF numbers till he's 34. Superstar numbers till he's 36 or 37. He's in excellent shape and works harder than 95% of the 20 year olds in the league now. And people questioning who the man is and how Pau is the leader is just dumb. You guys don't understand basketball if you don't see that Pau is only as good as Kobe helps him to be. Pau never took Memphis anywhere, he gets traded to LA, now he is magicaly better than Kobe? Kobe opens everything up for him. If you want to be honest, Kobe would easily average better stats now if they weren't beating everybody and he sat out so many 4th quarters. It's a great thing right now. If anything that's gonna help him play even longer.

Last thing: My money is on Bynum to take the reigns when Kobe get's to that "Old Man Kobe" level.

Allstar24
04-15-2009, 10:14 AM
And how many do you have?
WTF does that have to do with anything? :oldlol: I'm talking about Charles Barkley and the fact that he's never led his team to any title, so he shouldn't act like he knows everything about being a NBA champ...because he doesn't.

Da_Realist
04-15-2009, 10:23 AM

Shaq/Kobe Lakers would DESTROY this team. Pick a year, any year. Even the ones they lost. :oldlol:

OldSchoolBBall
04-15-2009, 10:37 AM

The Lakers will not lose any major pieces next year, I can almost guarantee you that.

04-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Brandon Roy and the Blazers are going to smash any chance of Kobe getting anymore rings. He better get one this year. Who knows what's going to happen in 2010.

Kobe's legacy is going to be that he could not win without Shaq.

OldSchoolBBall
04-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Brandon Roy and the Blazers are going to smash any chance of Kobe getting anymore rings. He better get one this year. Who knows what's going to happen in 2010.

Kobe's legacy is going to be that he could not win without Shaq.

The Lakers will almost certainly win this year. I have them at like 70-75% odds.

AllenIverson3
04-15-2009, 11:01 AM

Someones salty...:lol

JustinJDW
04-15-2009, 11:10 AM
To be honest, I don't really agree with that quote. Kobe is only 30. He probably has about 4-5 more good years left. Pierce and Allen are 31 and 32, and they won a Championship. I don't get it.

It's the players around you that make up for your age. However, age has not even begun to slow Kobe down yet. He won't slow down for another two years, and they probably will still have Gasol and Bynum, so I really don't understand what Barkley means when he says this is Kobe's last chance to win it all.

2LeTTeRS
04-15-2009, 11:34 AM
I see what he's saying, and everything is in place for Kobe to win this year, but the Lakers window isn't closing yet. Their team is just too young to say this is Kobe's last chance to lead a team to a title.

west
04-15-2009, 11:41 AM
I think he meant to win as a man....:confusedshrug:

guy
04-15-2009, 11:50 AM
It looks like nobody has mentioned that one of the main reasons Barkley said that was cause of Lebron. If Lebron leads the Cavs to the title this year, it wouldn't be that far-fetched to think that they might ride that momentum and build their own dynasty, while Kobe and the Lakers' confidence take a hit and never get back to that level. I'm not saying this would happen, but it could happen.

PoGoMon
04-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Kobe's father still plays basketball, so I say Kobe can stay in the NBA till he's 50.

Gee - I wonder if that means daddy is in NBA shape!?:wtf: :rolleyes: :wtf: :roll:

Mdog1
04-15-2009, 11:57 AM
IMO he is right. With the East having three of the four elite teams in the entire league it will be hard to get a trophy if they do not get one this year. Cavs and Orlando are young up and comers, Miami has a great looking future, Atlanta is looking like they are one piece away, Portland is an up and comer that with their gained post season experience may break top 4 in the league, and the West still has grizzly teams like SAS and Houston that play great D. The Lakers window IMO is closed after this year.

Masterz313
04-15-2009, 11:58 AM

so you're gonna ignore a vaid point? ....ok kobe guy

2LeTTeRS
04-15-2009, 11:59 AM
It looks like nobody has mentioned that one of the main reasons Barkley said that was cause of Lebron. If Lebron leads the Cavs to the title this year, it wouldn't be that far-fetched to think that they might ride that momentum and build their own dynasty, while Kobe and the Lakers' confidence take a hit and never get back to that level. I'm not saying this would happen, but it could happen.

Even if the Cavs win a title this year, they still would have to add a piece or 2 before I would look at them as a dynasty in the making.

LA_Showtime
04-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Regardless of what he does, Laker fans will love him (unless he decides to selfishly.). Regardless of what he does, haters will hate him and pick apart his faults. It is what it is.

guy
04-15-2009, 12:02 PM
IMO he is right. With the East having three of the four elite teams in the entire league it will be hard to get a trophy if they do not get one this year. Cavs and Orlando are young up and comers, Miami has a great looking future, Atlanta is looking like they are one piece away, Portland is an up and comer that with their gained post season experience may break top 4 in the league, and the West still has grizzly teams like SAS and Houston that play great D. The Lakers window IMO is closed after this year.

Okay this is insane talk, especially after you mention the Spurs and the Rockets. Those 2 teams are older, more banged up, and have more uncertainity then the Lakers, who at the moment are clearly better then those two. Lakers window will always be open as long as their the top team in the West, and right now there is no serious threat in the West to make that change.

EricForman
04-15-2009, 12:03 PM
how many rings does barkley have again? = stupid reply. it has nothing to do with his opinion on this.

by that logic, only a handful of players in the whole world can even discuss basketball.

guy
04-15-2009, 12:05 PM
how many rings does barkley have again? = stupid reply. it has nothing to do with his opinion on this.

by that logic, only a handful of players in the whole world can even discuss basketball.

Its actually a stupid reply, because Barkley does have an educated opinion since he's actually been in the same situation.

guy
04-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Even if the Cavs win a title this year, they still would have to add a piece or 2 before I would look at them as a dynasty in the making.

Unless there's major roster changes in the league next year, not really. And then of course 2010 free agency will be coming, and I don't really think it will be a problem attracting free agents to play with Lebron. I'm not saying they would definitely have a dynasty, but its not farfetched. Maybe after the 1st title, Lebron has that "No way anyone can beat me" confidence and spreads it through his team, just like Jordan did.

EricForman
04-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Its actually a stupid reply, because Barkley does have an educated opinion since he's actually been in the same situation.

that too. bt regardless its just kobe fans taking offense because he thinks what barkley said was a "diss" at kobe.

Mdog1
04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Okay this is insane talk, especially after you mention the Spurs and the Rockets. Those 2 teams are older, more banged up, and have more uncertainity then the Lakers, who at the moment are clearly better then those two. Lakers window will always be open as long as their the top team in the West, and right now there is no serious threat in the West to make that change.
I didn't mean that Houston or SAS would win a title, but rather that they are grizzly defensive teams that are the likes that gives LAL big men trouble. The East will win the title for the next few seasons.

Bigsmoke
04-15-2009, 12:34 PM
The Lakers might go to the finals 6 more times... so yall dont think they are gonna win not even one of them

Mdog1
04-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Unless there's major roster changes in the league next year, not really. And then of course 2010 free agency will be coming, and I don't really think it will be a problem attracting free agents to play with Lebron. I'm not saying they would definitely have a dynasty, but its not farfetched. Maybe after the 1st title, Lebron has that "No way anyone can beat me" confidence and spreads it through his team, just like Jordan did.
I don't even personally think the Cavs are one piece away, we are more like a half of a piece away. If we can turn Ben Wallace into any thing better than what he is eg. Chandler, Bosh, Okafor (this IMO would be one of the best things that can happen but I don't know if Okafor is available). Bosh is going to be traded next season, to who is yet to be determined, but expect to hear Clevelands name thrown out there.

NBASTATMAN
04-15-2009, 12:36 PM

BIG LETDOWN.. I can't see how a team with two all star level centers, one of the best guards the game has ever seen and a very talented lamar odom with solid pg play from fisher and great coaching loses... But if they do,, Big letdown and I will blame Phil for it not Kobe....

NBASTATMAN
04-15-2009, 12:38 PM
I don't even personally think the Cavs are one piece away, we are more like a half of a piece away. If we can turn Ben Wallace into any thing better than what he is eg. Chandler, Bosh, Okafor (this IMO would be one of the best things that can happen but I don't know if Okafor is available). Bosh is going to be traded next season, to who is yet to be determined, but expect to hear Clevelands name thrown out there.

In my opinion the Cavs are a great regular season team but they have alot of wholes.. Too short of a back court and too slow of a front court... Lebron is so superhuman he still carries this team to 60 something wins.. Lebron is by far the most dominant player in the game but this team has no chance vs the Lakers and even the celts are more talented and a better put together team..

Showtime
04-15-2009, 12:38 PM
I think most people here are disagreeing by saying Kobe won't drop off in the next few years. IMO, it was less to do about a sudden decline than the circumstances surrounding this season. Teams like Portland will only get better. Right now, LA is assumed to have no real threat to keep them from winning the west. And we all know that even if Kobe doesn't decline that much, he's not going to suddenly become better as he continues in his 30's. So, with all the circumstances combined, I think this is the easiest chance he will get, which was the point of Chuck. If Kobe can't win one as the man with this shot, then how would he when the situation becomes more difficult?

phoenix18
04-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Well, toronto isnt going to trade him for a couple coupons so Cleveland is going to have give either a 1st rounder and hickson or maybe west.

Mdog1
04-15-2009, 12:45 PM
In my opinion the Cavs are a great regular season team but they have alot of wholes.. Too short of a back court and too slow of a front court... Lebron is so superhuman he still carries this team to 60 something wins.. Lebron is by far the most dominant player in the game but this team has no chance vs the Lakers and even the celts are more talented and a better put together team..
I almost completely disagree. Did you actually just say the Cavs are a great regular season team, because if you did I don't think you have really followed them to much. They went to the finals on 50 wins, the most they have won in the LeBron era is 50 wins and are far from a great regular season team. Mike Brown is an attrocious regular season coach (made GREAT strides this year) but always is great in the playoffs. Our D always gets better in the playoffs (best D in playoffs 2 years in a row). We do have a lot of holes, but I am going to steal Mr. Kenny Smiths comment about Kobe and apply it to LeBron "LeBron is the Cavaliers fireman. Whatever fire the Cavaliers have he is going to go and put that fire out".

The cavs are over achievers in the post season, don't think that the regular season has ANY bearing on what will be the beast known as the cavs in the playoffs.

Mdog1
04-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Well, toronto isnt going to trade him for a couple coupons so Cleveland is going to have give either a 1st rounder and hickson or maybe west.
IMO you trade any thing you can to get Bosh or a player of his caliber. The only three players on the roster I would not trade to get bosh is LeBron/Mo/Z and if they wanted Z and Sasha instead of say delonte, Ben and JJ I think I would trade Z in a heartbeat.

NBASTATMAN
04-15-2009, 12:49 PM
I almost completely disagree. Did you actually just say the Cavs are a great regular season team, because if you did I don't think you have really followed them to much. They went to the finals on 50 wins, the most they have won in the LeBron era is 50 wins and are far from a great regular season team. Mike Brown is an attrocious regular season coach (made GREAT strides this year) but always is great in the playoffs. Our D always gets better in the playoffs (best D in playoffs 2 years in a row). We do have a lot of holes, but I am going to steal Mr. Kenny Smiths comment about Kobe and apply it to LeBron "LeBron is the Cavaliers fireman. Whatever fire the Cavaliers have he is going to go and put that fire out".

The cavs are over achievers in the post season, don't think that the regular season has ANY bearing on what will be the beast known as the cavs in the playoffs.

Playoffs is about mathups ,, the Cavs are going to have problems with matchups.... SORRY BUT THIS IS THE TRUTH..

Younggrease
04-15-2009, 12:49 PM
I think most people here are disagreeing by saying Kobe won't drop off in the next few years. IMO, it was less to do about a sudden decline than the circumstances surrounding this season. Teams like Portland will only get better. Right now, LA is assumed to have no real threat to keep them from winning the west. And we all know that even if Kobe doesn't decline that much, he's not going to suddenly become better as he continues in his 30's. So, with all the circumstances combined, I think this is the easiest chance he will get, which was the point of Chuck. If Kobe can't win one as the man with this shot, then how would he when the situation becomes more difficult?

So im confused...we have a center prospect in Bynum who gets better ever game. He just came back 3-4 games before the playoffs. This center prospect is better then the guy many called the next Shaq(Oden)...So how the hell is this Kobe's best chance to win a title. The team is just going to continue getting better the more they play together and the experience is gonna make Bynum a whole lot better next year.

The Lakers shouldnt be favored over Boston or a healthy Celtics team unless Bynum is fully healthy because the Lakers are soft.

All Net
04-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Lakers will be title contenders for at least the next 5 years...Cavs need to get more talent around Lebron if they expect to win any titles anytime soon. Their frontcourt is going to struggle against Lakers or even portland in future years if they get that far...Lebron is amazing but teams that depend on mid-range game rather than post play aren't likely to beat a team who very good bigs.

With Bynum back it completely changed everything for everybody else..without him Lakers are beatable but with him healthly? it would take one hell of an effort to beat this team.

Younggrease
04-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Lakers will be title contenders for at least the next 5 years...Cavs need to get more talent around Lebron if they expect to win any titles anytime soon. Their frontcourt is going to struggle against Lakers or even portland in future years if they get that far...Lebron is amazing but teams that depend on mid-range game rather than post play aren't likely to beat a team who very good bigs.

Nope...the Cavs will probably win the title this year...The Lakers have no heart and Bron is poised and has a tough enough defensive squad to do it...Lakers better worry about Utah and NOH before thinking about a title.

All Net
04-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Nope...the Cavs will probably win the title this year...The Lakers have no heart and Bron is poised and has a tough enough defensive squad to do it...Lakers better worry about Utah and NOH before thinking about a title.

Cavs frontcourt isn't strong enough to win the title over a healthly Lakers team. Lakers are more talented, better inside, deeper and simply have more options. Cavs would need career series out of guys like Wally, Gibson, West and Z to take out the Lakers...If Bynum is healthly nobody is beating L.A IMO.

I will say this if Lebron leads Cavs to the title then he has to go down as the best player since the great MJ as to lead a team to a title with that cast is simply amazing.

Mdog1
04-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Playoffs is about mathups ,, the Cavs are going to have problems with matchups.... SORRY BUT THIS IS THE TRUTH..
Every team is going to have match up problems. It is the great teams that over come that. For example Portland is a match up nightmare for the Lakers as are the Bobcats, but the only team that legitimately (in the East) is a match up problem for the cavs is the Magic. Thing is with LeBron he can play every position on the floor, and do it at an above average level, so basically if for example Kobe is going off on us (sounds gross) LeBron can switch to SG and man him up, If Odom is going to go off again LeBron can switch to him, Bynum/Pau/etc.

Mdog1
04-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Cavs frontcourt isn't strong enough to win the title over a healthly Lakers team. Lakers are more talented, better inside, deeper and simply have more options. Cavs would need career series out of guys like Wally, Gibson, West and Z to take out the Lakers...If Bynum is healthly nobody is beating L.A IMO.
Could very well happen that they get career series out of Big Z and Mo and West. Z wants a title more than any other player in the league.

KenneBell
04-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Thing is with LeBron he can play every position on the floor, and do it at an above average level, so basically if for example Kobe is going off on us (sounds gross) LeBron can switch to SG and man him up, If Odom is going to go off again LeBron can switch to him, Bynum/Pau/etc.
Only problem is, you don't have 5 LeBrons.:roll:

And he's not covering Pau or Bynum with any sucess.

Younggrease
04-15-2009, 01:01 PM

Frontcourt is more then strong enough because they play with passion. Remember how Leon Powe was able to guard Pau 1v.1 with no help allowing up 4 dribbles for Pau on the block. Rember how Odom could not post up anyone on the Celtics. What makes you think Joe Smith, Andy and Big Z wont be able to have a similar effect. Plus they are a great rebounding team in general. Plus LA looks like crap now

All Net
04-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Frontcourt is more then strong enough because they play with passion. Remember how Leon Powe was able to guard Pau 1v.1 with no help allowing up 4 dribbles for Pau on the block. Rember how Odom could not post up anyone on the Celtics. What makes you think Joe Smith, Andy and Big Z wont be able to have a similar effect. Plus they are a great rebounding team in general. Plus LA looks like crap now

Difference is Bynum is back now, Gasol can play his natural position and Odom won't be needed to play huge minutes...Cavs frontcourt just doesn't seem good enough in the post. They are more garbage kind of players than guys who will give you trouble inside. but can guys like Williams, West,Gibson make up for that? who knows...it's possible.

Lebron will have to outplay Kobe by a good distance to win the series, which he could very well do I suppose.

Lebron will need 35,7 and 7 type series on 50% shooting to get Cavs that title.

Mdog1
04-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Only problem is, you don't have 5 LeBrons.:roll:

And he's not covering Pau or Bynum with any sucess.
If we had 5 LeBrons I think that nobody would ever beat us. He can cover Dwight Howard and has so I don't know why he wouldn't be able to guard Bynum or Pau for a few posessions.

Mechanixxxx
04-15-2009, 01:08 PM
IMO if the Lakers aren't able to win it all this year it would be a HUGE let down but that doesn't mean Kobe wont be able to win a championship at some point in the next 2 or 3 years.

On the other hand, This could be Phil Jackson's last season as Head Coach so that makes me wonder; How will the Lakers react to the fact that a Coach that is arguably the "GOAT" wont be around anymore? Would that affect there game, mentality, the way to approach certain situations(NBA Finals for ex). There's a lot of questions ahead of the Lakers organization, but for now, I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride and hopefully we'll have something to celebrate for come June.

Mdog1
04-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Difference is Bynum is back now, Gasol can play his natural position and Odom won't be needed to play huge minutes...Cavs frontcourt just doesn't seem good enough in the post. They are more garbage kind of players than guys who will give you trouble inside. but can guys like Williams, West,Gibson make up for that? who knows...it's possible.

Lebron will have to outplay Kobe by a good distance to win the series, which he could very well do I suppose.

Lebron will need 35,7 and 7 type series on 50% shooting to get Cavs that title.
Those are basically LeBrons season numbers, and playing an extended game I see no reason why he couldn't get 35 PPG. I don't know about right now, but before the ASG and before Z got hurt we had 4 of the top 7 players in defensive rating. Ben, Z, LeBron and Delonte were all there notice that is two of our Bigs and two wing players who will be able to play Kobe tightly.

Bush4Ever
04-15-2009, 01:11 PM
No, the Lakers will be (most likely) an elite team with Kobe as the lead dog for 2-3 seasons, maybe even more.

I DO think though, that if Kobe doesn't win it this year, he will be scrutinized a lot more closely and harshly, and rightfully so in my opinion.

All Net
04-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Those are basically LeBrons season numbers, and playing an extended game I see no reason why he couldn't get 35 PPG. I don't know about right now, but before the ASG and before Z got hurt we had 4 of the top 7 players in defensive rating. Ben, Z, LeBron and Delonte were all there notice that is two of our Bigs and two wing players who will be able to play Kobe tightly.

35 would be very tough in a 7 game series against the kind of defense the Lakers will throw at Lebron.

guy
04-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I didn't mean that Houston or SAS would win a title, but rather that they are grizzly defensive teams that are the likes that gives LAL big men trouble. The East will win the title for the next few seasons.

Well its kind of dumb to say they're window is closed after this year when right now they have the best team in the West, and they have arguably the brightest future (as in the next 5 years) in the West.

TheCord#20
04-15-2009, 02:56 PM
WTF does that have to do with anything? :oldlol: I'm talking about Charles Barkley and the fact that he's never led his team to any title, so he shouldn't act like he knows everything about being a NBA champ...because he doesn't.

You are implying that because Barkley never one a title, his opinion shouldn't matter. Yes, he never led his team to a title, but he did lead them to the finals. I would argue that Barkley's comments demand some respect, i mean he is one of the 50 greatest players. Then again, what do i know...

Heilige
04-15-2009, 03:30 PM

If the Lakers had no heart they wouldn't have beat the Cavs and Celtics on their home court mind you during the season.

Come on man; you really think the Jazz are going to pose a problem for the Lakers? I only see the Trailblazers in the West posing a problem. Other than that, it should be a cakewalk through the west for the Lakers.

Heilige
04-15-2009, 03:32 PM

I will say this if Lebron leads Cavs to the title then he has to go down as the best player since the great MJ as to lead a team to a title with that cast is simply amazing.

You don't think a prime Shaq with that Cavs team couldn't lead them to a title?

Younggrease
04-15-2009, 03:45 PM
If the Lakers had no heart they wouldn't have beat the Cavs and Celtics on their home court mind you during the season.

Come on man; you really think the Jazz are going to pose a problem for the Lakers? I only see the Trailblazers in the West posing a problem. Other than that, it should be a cakewalk through the west for the Lakers.

regular isnt where heart is shown, just ask the Mavs.

Showtime
04-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Well its kind of dumb to say they're window is closed after this year when right now they have the best team in the West, and they have arguably the brightest future (as in the next 5 years) in the West.
Nobody is saying their window will close. His point is how can Kobe win with more difficult circumstances later if he doesn't win with easier circumstances now?

oh the horror
04-15-2009, 04:04 PM
I DO think though, that if Kobe doesn't win it this year, he will be scrutinized a lot more closely and harshly

In a MAJOR way.

guy
04-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Nobody is saying their window will close. His point is how can Kobe win with more difficult circumstances later if he doesn't win with easier circumstances now?

MDog1 did.

JordanL
04-15-2009, 04:26 PM

Was that a serious question of a veiled attempt to prove how awesome Shaq is?

iLoveNBA
04-15-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't think this is their only chance, but I think this is the greatest chance Kobe will ever get. Playing the percentages though.

Lakers are sure as hell capable of winning it all.

raptorfan_dr07
04-15-2009, 05:01 PM

And that type of thought is exactly why they'll get beat by Utah in the first round.

oh the horror
04-15-2009, 05:03 PM
And that type of thought is exactly why they'll get beat by Utah in the first round.

Keep dreaming about that one. Utah lost last year, they lost during the season matchups and they'll lose again during the first round. They simply are not a better team than the Lakers.

Champion
04-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Kobe can't fail.

He already exhausted all excuses from fans and media.

The best basketball player on one of the best teams never finish second. And they especially don't finish second by 39.

LA_Showtime
04-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Kobe can't fail.

The best basketball player on one of the best teams never finish second. And they especially don't finish second by 39.

You're almost worse than Pleeze Believe, RoseCity07, and MDog1. :applause:

momo
04-15-2009, 05:46 PM

Yeaaaaaaa.

indiefan23
04-15-2009, 11:10 PM

Funny thing Allstar, how many professional basketball games have you played? I've never understood why people use this ridiculously hypocritical lazy argument.

indiefan23
04-15-2009, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Champion
Kobe can't fail.

And then you said...

You're almost worse than Pleeze Believe, RoseCity07, and MDog1. :applause:

I don't get why you'd disagree with that. Kobe has shown throughout his career that the more important a role he plays to a team the more he embarrasses himself and the more that team loses when faced with similar competition.

Look at this comparison:

year/minutes/points/wins/playoff result
06/41/45/lost first round 4-3 to suns, NEVER that close, refs got them to 7
07/41/42/lost first round 4-1 to suns, what 06 would have been sans refs
08/39/57/made the finals but were decimated by celtics, lost deciding game by 39 points
09/36/65/????

This year the Lakers have run their offense much, much more through Pau Gasol and les through Kobe... its gotten them more wins. Which makes sense because the triangle was created with someone 'exactly' like Gasol in mind.

The Lakers have quietly changed the focus of their team from Kobe to Gasol/Odom which presents their most potent combination on the floor as both players have that special combination of size and skills that make them a good match up against almost every single player in the league. Both are great passers so when they play off each other scoring for the Lakers gets really easy.

When Bynum went down earlier in the season, Kobe responded with one huge game and a week of decent play. He got lots of credit for the Lakers winning but what really happened is Kobe's play dropped off, considerably, and with Gasol/Odmon on the floor all the time the Lakers were playing their best line up consistently.

Am I crazy, or has this been the story of the Laker's season? I dunno, I think Kobe's confidence was totally shaken when he realized he was not able to make it out of the first round without Shaq. Then they made the finals last year and it got destroyed when the Celtics shut him down. While his skills have improved again he doesn't seem to be playing at the same level, if that makes sense.

I think th argument for MVP over Wade and Howard is preposterous. thoughts?

bdreason
04-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Kobe will have chances to win more rings for at least 3 more years with Bynum and Gasol.

KenneBell
04-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Am I crazy, or has this been the story of the Laker's season? I dunno, I think Kobe's confidence was totally shaken when he realized he was not able to make it out of the first round without Shaq. Then they made the finals last year and it got destroyed when the Celtics shut him down. While his skills have improved again he doesn't seem to be playing at the same level, if that makes sense.

Yeah, you're crazy. Kobe has self-admittedly been cruising this year. Per minute he's scoring at one of the highest rates of his career. I don't see anything dropping off especially from last year.

The Lakers started to run their offense more through Gasol when Bynum went down because he was on the floor the most. The Lakers' guard play has been decent enough to where Kobe doesn't have to play 40mpg. Phil had it planned that way from the start.

I don't get why you'd disagree with that. Kobe has shown throughout his career that the more important a role he plays to a team the more he embarrasses himself and the more that team loses when faced with similar competition.
No, what it shows is that his team has gotten better and he hasn't had to score or be on the floor as much because of it. It's the same with any great player.

Duncan21formvp
04-16-2009, 12:49 AM

It's true.

Juges8932
04-16-2009, 12:55 AM
God, I hope and pray Lakers win at least 2 in the next 3 years. So Kobe can get some Finals MVPs, haha. Then afterwards, it'd be cool if Lakers won more, but if having to pick when they win, I want it to be while Kobe is still top dog so then we can get over him not winning without Shaq or as second-option.

DLeagueWannabe
04-16-2009, 02:00 AM
The question I have for everybody is this:

If most of you believe Bryant is not the player Jordan was, why do you belittle him for not accomplishing what Jordan accomplished? (Even though he's accomplished more than so many).

If Bryant is 85-90% player Jordan was, wouldn't making it to the finals and losing be pretty much what was expected?

crisoner
04-16-2009, 02:15 AM
Hmmmmm

I got to say I do kind of agree with Charles....only thing is the Lakers do not have homecourt if the face the Cavs and that can come to bite them at the end.

I think this Kobe lead Lakers team has a whole lot to prove and Kobe needs to lead them through all the tough challenges etc. I also think Gasol ...Bynum...and Odom have to step up when the going gets tough. If the bench mob is on point then I really see this Laker team blowing off everybody.

But we shall see.

Diesel J
04-16-2009, 05:11 AM
If you can't win with a team as stacked as the current Lakers where your 4th best player is Lamar Odom (how many teams have a better 4th best player? NONE!!), you don't deserve to win. IMO, this is their last year of having a team this deep because Odom is going to be a free agent and he's worth more than the Lakers are probably willing to offer him.

Mdog1
04-16-2009, 07:51 AM
A nother side of this, one in which I am not sure if mentioned or not is thatt if they don't win, it could be such a damaging psychological (SP) effect that they never get back there. I mean you can only be beat so many times before you start giving up am I correct? They were embarrased last year, this year they would be favourites over ANY team and still lose could be detremental to future success.

KenneBell
04-16-2009, 09:22 AM
A nother side of this, one in which I am not sure if mentioned or not is thatt if they don't win, it could be such a damaging psychological (SP) effect that they never get back there. I mean you can only be beat so many times before you start giving up am I correct? They were embarrased last year, this year they would be favourites over ANY team and still lose could be detremental to future success.
I doubt it. The 60's/70's Lakers lost plenty of times in the Finals. Eventually they got one.

Mdog1
04-16-2009, 11:58 AM
I doubt it. The 60's/70's Lakers lost plenty of times in the Finals. Eventually they got one.
Maybe, but that would have a ton of mental effect on a team IMO.

bruceblitz
04-16-2009, 11:59 AM
I think people were saying the same thing last year.

Never is a strong word.
I stand by this statement. I get what Charles meant, he should have said that this is Kobe's best chance to win a championship as a leader of the team, so he should take advantage of this opportunity instead of going to the lengths of saying Kobe wont ever have another chance like this again. To me that's over-dramatic.

Allstar24
04-16-2009, 12:05 PM
I stand by this statement. I get what Charles meant, he should have said that this is Kobe's best chance to win a championship as a leader of the team, so he should take advantage of this opportunity instead of going to the lengths of saying Kobe wont ever have another chance like this again. To me that's over-dramatic.
This is not Kobe's "best" chance to win a championship. He is 30 years old, I don't get why everyone is acting like he's 35 and ready to retire. He won the MVP last year, he put up similar numbers this year (in fewer minutes) and he was still involved in MVP talks and he will continue to produce at a high level for the next 3-4 years (his words, not mine). Didn't Michael win 3 more championships after he turned 32? You should know better than to write off a great player.

bruceblitz
04-16-2009, 12:07 PM
This is not Kobe's "best" chance to win a championship. He is 30 years old, I don't get why everyone is acting like he's 35 and ready to retire. He won the MVP last year, he put up similar numbers this year (in fewer minutes) and he was still involved in MVP talks and he will continue to produce at a high level for the next 3-4 years (his words, not mine). Didn't Michael win 3 more championships after he turned 32? You should know better than to write off a great player.
Wow, did you even read my post? I'm defeding Kobe dude.

By the way, what does Michael Jordan have to do with this? Jordan was a better athlete and his decline was slower. I highly doubt that Kobe will still be throwing down on 7 foot centers when he's 40 years old. Or putting up 50 point games at the age of 38. Bad comparison. If you think Kobe's gonna win 3 championships as the leader of a team, this late in his career, I don't think you have very good perspective. That's beyond wishful thinking.

guy
04-16-2009, 12:12 PM

Being in the prime of his career + having the best team he's had in his prime that is currently the best team in the league + His main individual competitors (Lebron, Wade, CP3) having lesser teams = his best chance to win a championship. Most likely this is his best chance as he's only going to get older. Unless something crazy happens like the Lakers are able to get another superstar player for nothing, this is probably his best chance. Maybe not his only chance, but best. And Jordan was a freak for being able to do what he did, and just cause he did it that doesn't mean Kobe can. How many other great players can you think of that were leading teams to titles at Jordan's age in the 2nd three-peat?

NBASTATMAN
04-16-2009, 12:12 PM

I THINK CHARLES MEANT AS THE BEST PLAYER....IF THE LAKERS DON'T WIN THIS YEAR THAN KOBE WILL HAVE TO TAKE A STEP BACK AND LET BYNUM AND GASOL RUN THE OFFESE.. THOUGH THAT HAS ALREADY HAPPENED AND IT COULD BE ARGUED THAT WHEN BYNUM WENT DOWN GASOL OUTPLAYED KOBE... And was the prime reason the Lakers played great without Bynum.. Of course Kobe was important too but Gasol was better....

Allstar24
04-16-2009, 12:37 PM
While I agree that nobody could be as great as MJ was during the Bulls second 3 peat...Kobe is not some mediocre player, he is a great player too and I don't think he's quite ready to give up the "best player on the Lakers" tag just yet. He'll be the leader of this team for the next 3-4 years before he begins to slow down and then Bynum will take over. The Lakers have a great shot at winning the title every year now so Kobe can technically win 3-4 championships as the man. We'll see what happens this year though, I do think winning this year will help him get over the hump but this is certainly not his best chance (in other words, last chance).

BlazersDozen
04-16-2009, 01:02 PM
If the Lakers win the title, it'll be more because of Gasol, Odom and Bynum than Kobe.

The_Yearning
04-16-2009, 01:18 PM
It's true.....if Kobe don't win it this year, the soreness will continue to get stronger. If he ain't winning it this year, I will forget about this guy next year cuz he ain't winning jacked. Regardless, Lebron taking over the league next year.

same thing with T-Mac, if he wasn't gonna get our of that first round up 2-0 on the Jazz, then he ain't never gonna make it out.

Same thing I see with the Nuggets...I think the Hornets can pull an upset on those nugget chumps.

LA_Showtime
04-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Even if Kobe wins the title he won't win over the fans of other teams... Just look at some of the comments here. Some are true... but every third post is obviously an anti-Kobe poster.

guy
04-16-2009, 01:48 PM
While I agree that nobody could be as great as MJ was during the Bulls second 3 peat...Kobe is not some mediocre player, he is a great player too and I don't think he's quite ready to give up the "best player on the Lakers" tag just yet. He'll be the leader of this team for the next 3-4 years before he begins to slow down and then Bynum will take over. The Lakers have a great shot at winning the title every year now so Kobe can technically win 3-4 championships as the man. We'll see what happens this year though, I do think winning this year will help him get over the hump but this is certainly not his best chance (in other words, last chance).

Best chance does not mean last chance. How could you say that? For example, KG's best chance to win a title was last year. But I would still say he has a chance this year (if he returns) and next.

MaxFly
04-16-2009, 02:08 PM
If the Lakers win the title, it'll be more because of Gasol, Odom and Bynum than Kobe.

Inversely, that would mean that if Lakers don't win the title this year, it could be more because of Gasol, Odom and Bynum than Bryant... it's bad strategy to box yourself in... you should leave these sorts of things as ambiguous so that you can change your stance when the outcome changes. If the Lakers lose, you don't want to have been on record as having said that victory rests on other players, because that would mean that defeat rests on them as well... and you won't be able to blame Bryant... and we wouldn't want that, would we?

Showtime
04-16-2009, 02:09 PM
How is this too complicated to understand? What he means by best chance are the combined factors:

LA faces no real threat in the west this year (general consensus), and this can't last for the next few years because some top teams will only get better, and you can't expect the Lakers to stay this good.

LA is the most talented team right now, and arguably has the most depth.

Whatever level of decline you want to dismiss in Kobe, he will NOT get better as he advances into his 30's. Best case, he stays the exact same, which is highly unlikely.

His possible opponents in the finals include a Cavs team which they have beaten at home, a Magic team which they have proven they can beat, and and a Boston team without KG.

I don't get why you think it's all about Kobe's level of play. His point is that the overall circumstances surrounding this playoff run is the easiest Kobe will ever have, and it will only get more difficult as time goes on.

Champion
04-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Kobe could do something that Jordan never done: Lose three straight NBA finals. I hope Kobe doesn't fail.

Indian guy
04-16-2009, 02:29 PM
One of the more stupid things Barkley's said. LA's core, aside from being very good, is young. They aren't declining any time soon and guys like Bynum, Ariza and the bench will only get better. They'll more than make up for whatever decline we see in Kobe. Even if the rest of the West improves, it's still hard to imagine any team becoming as good or better than LA. The gap right now between them and the 2nd best team is still huge.

Kobe will have plenty more chances even after this season. He can(and most likely will) win multiple championships within the next few years(provided Phil doesn't retire if he gets his 10th ring this season).

Heilige
04-16-2009, 02:33 PM
One of the more stupid things Barkley's said. LA's core, aside from being very good, is young. They aren't declining any time soon and guys like Bynum, Ariza and the bench will only get better. They'll more than make up for whatever decline we see in Kobe. Even if the rest of the West improves, it's still hard to imagine any team becoming as good or better than LA. The gap right now between them and the 2nd best team is still huge.

Kobe will have plenty more chances even after this season. He can(and most likely will) win multiple championships within the next few years(provided Phil doesn't retire if he gets his 10th ring this season).

How many more rings do you see Kobe winning?

Heilige
04-16-2009, 02:37 PM

It is not about the age; it is about the mileage. I believe this is one of Kobe's best chances to win. He is not getting any younger.

Though at the same time, I feel that he will still have chances after this season to get championships. It's just that this is the best oportunity for him. Take advantage of it. Nothing is guaranteed.

Younggrease
04-16-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't get why you think it's all about Kobe's level of play. His point is that the overall circumstances surrounding this playoff run is the easiest Kobe will ever have, and it will only get more difficult as time goes on.

are you a fortune teller?

Prodigy
04-16-2009, 03:34 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

And who the **** are you?

Typical ish garbage. Telling NBA players to shut up and know their role. Oh the pure irony...

Mdog1
04-16-2009, 06:47 PM
How many more rings do you see Kobe winning?
1 when he goes over to the Cavs in his last season.

Duncan21formvp
04-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Kobe will only get 1 more ring.

crisoner
04-16-2009, 07:49 PM

Good enough for me sh*t.

NBASTATMAN
04-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Inversely, that would mean that if Lakers don't win the title this year, it could be more because of Gasol, Odom and Bynum than Bryant... it's bad strategy to box yourself in... you should leave these sorts of things as ambiguous so that you can change your stance when the outcome changes. If the Lakers lose, you don't want to have been on record as having said that victory rests on other players, because that would mean that defeat rests on them as well... and you won't be able to blame Bryant... and we wouldn't want that, would we?

I think it would be Phil's fault if LA couldn't win with this squad...

NBASTATMAN
04-16-2009, 07:58 PM

WITH THIS TEAM IT IS POSSIBLE DEPENDING ON BYNUM'S GREATNESS THAT LA could win 4 more titles in the next 6-7 years.... They are loaded and have 2 of the top 5 bigs on their team to go along with one of the best guards ever and a talented lamar odom...

Juges8932
04-16-2009, 08:26 PM

QFT. Kobe haters should pay attention to this.

LA_Showtime
04-16-2009, 09:24 PM
So if Kobe wins the championship the credit goes to Gasol, Bynum, and Odom and if the Lakers lose the championship the blame should be put on Kobe?

You gotta live ISH.:banghead:

Jasper
04-16-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm not going to speculate if this is Kobe's year as the main cog in a greased championship team -

But I will state that he has a future bright in regards to winning other championships. He recently has stated he would like to play if he was healthy until he was 40.
For future championships - a solid money oiled franchise as is the Lakers gives the best percentage at getting titles. He has a very young and strong frontcourt playing with him in LALand and IMO his chances would also improve if he had a legit PG that could play defense and put defenses on their heels. (See Jason Kidd 5 years ago type player)

For Kobe to get future championships it basically rests on his frontcourt wanting to play defense , and the Laker organization acquiring a first rate PG.

Duncan21formvp
04-16-2009, 10:01 PM
So if Kobe wins the championship the credit goes to Gasol, Bynum, and Odom and if the Lakers lose the championship the blame should be put on Kobe?

You gotta live ISH.:banghead:

Gasol led the team in win shares this year. Meaning he was the main guy.

LA_Showtime
04-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Gasol led the team in win shares this year. Meaning he was the main guy.

So if the Lakers lose then it will be Gasol's fault???

NBASTATMAN
04-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Kobe could do something that Jordan never done: Lose three straight NBA finals. I hope Kobe doesn't fail.

Correct me if I am wrong but Mj didn't lose even once...

Mdog1
04-17-2009, 08:57 AM
The Cavs could go on to win 8 in a row or more. LeBron would only be 32 if that were to happen.

All Net
04-17-2009, 09:20 AM
The Cavs could go on to win 8 in a row or more. LeBron would only be 32 if that were to happen.

:roll: get real.

Mdog1
04-17-2009, 09:41 AM
What if they trade for Bosh? Then are you laughing?

KenneBell
04-17-2009, 10:47 AM
:roll:

All Net
04-17-2009, 11:06 AM

They aren't trading for Bosh...stop living in a dream world. Why do fans suddenly think teams will trade their star for a load of crap? not everybody has the Grizzles state of mind.

Allstar24
04-17-2009, 12:29 PM
How is this too complicated to understand? What he means by best chance are the combined factors:

LA faces no real threat in the west this year (general consensus), and this can't last for the next few years because some top teams will only get better, and you can't expect the Lakers to stay this good.

LA is the most talented team right now, and arguably has the most depth.

Whatever level of decline you want to dismiss in Kobe, he will NOT get better as he advances into his 30's. Best case, he stays the exact same, which is highly unlikely.

His possible opponents in the finals include a Cavs team which they have beaten at home, a Magic team which they have proven they can beat, and and a Boston team without KG.

What are you, bruce's spokesperson? :rolleyes: Anyway, this is one thread I'll be sure to bump at the end of the post season AND save it for next season as well. A lot of people are going to look foolish.

Torious
04-17-2009, 01:44 PM

You could have the Eastern Conference All-star Roster on your team and I'd laugh in your face if you predicted 8 consecutive Championships.

Mdog1
04-17-2009, 04:11 PM
They aren't trading for Bosh...stop living in a dream world. Why do fans suddenly think teams will trade their star for a load of crap? not everybody has the Grizzles state of mind.
I have and will maintain the Bosh is going to be a Cavalier next season. It is the surrounding circumstances that they will have to trade him no matter what.

Mdog1
04-17-2009, 04:12 PM
You could have the Eastern Conference All-star Roster on your team and I'd laugh in your face if you predicted 8 consecutive Championships.
I would predict about 10 if that was the case.

Shaq-Fu
04-17-2009, 04:12 PM
I have and will maintain the Bosh is going to be a Cavalier next season. It is the surrounding circumstances that they will have to trade him no matter what.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raptors move Bosh this summer, but not to the Cavaliers. He would be a perfect fit in San Antonio.

1~Gibson~1
04-17-2009, 04:13 PM
I have and will maintain the Bosh is going to be a Cavalier next season. It is the surrounding circumstances that they will have to trade him no matter what.no he isnt. shut up.

Mdog1
04-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Bosh will be traded this year.

All Net
04-17-2009, 06:15 PM

Cut the crap, Cavs have NOTHING to give the Raptors that they would even consider. Bosh is the Raptors franchise...they won't trade him unless they get quailty back.

Mdog1
04-17-2009, 07:16 PM
They will at least got something out of him rather than the nothing they would lose for him when he leaves. Don't be niave he is as good as gone.

bleedinpurpleTwo
04-17-2009, 07:24 PM
They will at least got something out of him rather than the nothing they would lose for him when he leaves. Don't be niave he is as good as gone.

IF they trade him, they will get some quality in return.
cavs dont have enuf...esp compared to some other teams.

Mdog1
04-17-2009, 07:33 PM
IF they trade him, they will get some quality in return.
cavs dont have enuf...esp compared to some other teams.
What teams are going to realistically be in the market to get Bosh. Notice I said realistically so don't be throwing out GSW or Sactown.

bleedinpurpleTwo
04-17-2009, 07:41 PM
What teams are going to realistically be in the market to get Bosh. Notice I said realistically so don't be throwing out GSW or Sactown.

what constitutes "realistically"?
anyone with enuf assets could be interested.
anyone from the hawks, to the clipps, to the bulls, to yes gsw (monte ellis is disgruntled).

that said, i just dont see toronto trading their franchise player.

Mdog1
04-17-2009, 07:49 PM
what constitutes "realistically"?
anyone with enuf assets could be interested.
anyone from the hawks, to the clipps, to the bulls, to yes gsw (monte ellis is disgruntled).

that said, i just dont see toronto trading their franchise player.
Realistically as in teams that would actually trade for him. I mean teams that A) are actually either on the cusp of contending and think he will put them into the "contender" category, B) actually need a PF on their team (look hard there isn't that many), and C) are boarderline playoff teams and think that Bosh can get them there.

IMO there is maybe 4 or 5 teams that would even put together a package, and two of them might not based on finances or that he may be a "rental".

Bulls- Miller, Noah, Thomas
Cavs - Wallace, JJ, AV, DJ3
Portland - LMA, Outlaw
NOH - West

I mean realistically if you look at the "contenders" and playoff teams rosters most of them have either a very capable PF on their team or they have a lack of things to trade. The Cavs are the only contending team that doesn't have a good PF.

bleedinpurpleTwo
04-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Realistically as in teams that would actually trade for him. I mean teams that A) are actually either on the cusp of contending and think he will put them into the "contender" category, B) actually need a PF on their team (look hard there isn't that many), and C) are boarderline playoff teams and think that Bosh can get them there.

IMO there is maybe 4 or 5 teams that would even put together a package, and two of them might not based on finances or that he may be a "rental".

Bulls- Miller, Noah, Thomas
Cavs - Wallace, JJ, AV, DJ3
Portland - LMA, Outlaw
NOH - West

I mean realistically if you look at the "contenders" and playoff teams rosters most of them have either a very capable PF on their team or they have a lack of things to trade. The Cavs are the only contending team that doesn't have a good PF.

well, lots of teams have a decent pf, but an upgrade is very valuable.
clipps have zach, but...
hawks have josh smith, but he is undersized and inconsistent.
gsw needs legit post player.
knicks could use him and he would love to be in that city.
i could go on and on.

he isnt going anywhere unless he demands a trade.

Day La Ghetto
04-17-2009, 08:03 PM
mdog is always nice but it rings around his biased opinions so it doesn't hold much

Mdog1
04-17-2009, 08:07 PM
well, lots of teams have a decent pf, but an upgrade is very valuable.
clipps have zach, but...
hawks have josh smith, but he is undersized and inconsistent.
gsw needs legit post player.
knicks could use him and he would love to be in that city.
i could go on and on.

he isnt going anywhere unless he demands a trade.
Actually you are wrong on that. Trust me I live near Toronto so I have a much better handle on the situation than you do. I was watching a Raps show last night and they were discussing trading him, and they said that BC would not wait if he does not sign an extension. They are most likely going to trade him to whom is not 100%, but I can guarantee the Cavs will be all over it.

bleedinpurpleTwo
04-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Actually you are wrong on that. Trust me I live near Toronto so I have a much better handle on the situation than you do. I was watching a Raps show last night and they were discussing trading him, and they said that BC would not wait if he does not sign an extension. They are most likely going to trade him to whom is not 100%, but I can guarantee the Cavs will be all over it.

did they say WHY they would trade him? he has always said he is happy there

ps. geographical proximity does not necessarily give anyone a "much better handle"

Mdog1
04-17-2009, 08:20 PM
did they say WHY they would trade him? he has always said he is happy there
They said that BC didn't want to risk losing him for nothing and that if he didn't give a great indication or sign an extension (which they kept saying he wouldn't). He (person on show) read a quote from Bosh and I can't exactly remember it, but it was something like "I don't have any intension right now of playing any where else, but if BC wants the extension I am not sure if I can give it to him so I completely understand if he trades me".

Edit: Well I meant that I knew more about the Raps side then most of the American posters on this site.