PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan: "Kobe wouldn't beat me 1-on-1 in my prime"

KobeRules24
04-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Very good video, though not great quality. i do agree with MJ. No one could beat MJ 1-on-1 in his physical prime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqlBUj9bFC4&feature=channel_page

db23
04-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Very good video, though not great quality. i do agree with MJ. No one could beat MJ 1-on-1 in his physical prime.

The sky is blue and water is wet.

All Net
04-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Oh no..here we go again

:hammerhead:

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 02:02 PM
MJ is getting a lil old and senile. I think Worthy beat him one on one back in the day. So Worthy is the GOAT. Nuff said.

iamgine
04-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Well, no guards probably can but people like Kareem, Shaq, Wilt and other tall, strong centers will beat MJ one on one. easily too.

KobeRules24
04-15-2009, 02:03 PM
MJ is getting a lil old and senile. I think Worthy beat him one on one back in the day. So Worthy is the GOAT. Nuff said.

Is this true? maybe during their college days who knows

ikoiko
olajuwon would at least have a shot. great defender, very agile, and on offense he'd post the hell out of mj.

KobeRules24
Well, no guards probably can but people like Kareem, Shaq, Wilt and other tall, strong centers will beat MJ one on one.

Oh Lord!!!!:banghead: i was talking about guards and small forwads of course

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Is this true? maybe during their college days who knows

Yea, they both have talked about it before. James beat him and till this day refuses a rematch. MJ said that still buggs him.

KobeRules24
04-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Yea, they both have talked about it before. James beat him and till this day refuses a rematch. MJ said that still buggs him.

lmao, worthy ''the MJ stopper''. too bad Jordan abused him and my lakers in the '91 finals, that was his vengeance i guess :oldlol:

lolwut
04-15-2009, 02:09 PM
MJ telling it like it is

KobeRules24
04-15-2009, 02:13 PM
MJ telling it like it is

yep, i do think lebron could beat prime MJ 1-on-1

ZeN
04-15-2009, 02:13 PM
this is swagger taken too far... KB in his prime is flawless much like mike..

true MJ is goat.. and he has compiled stats that surpass KB.. and has major Basketball I.Q.

Yet to state that its a certainty that he would beat KB in both players prime is unrealistic... they are too good, for it to be definitive...

DuMa
04-15-2009, 02:14 PM
this is easy like pie

KobeRules24
04-15-2009, 02:16 PM

true MJ is goat.. and he has compiled stats that surpass KB.. and has major Basketball I.Q.

Yet to state that its a certainty that he would beat KB in both players prime is unrealistic... they are too good, for it to be definitive...

MJ was too strong, fast and creative in his prime. Not even #8 Kobe could beat him, #24 would get crushed. :oldlol: this coming from a KB fan who watched MJ play

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 02:16 PM

Yea, but you do know you're gonna be called a fool and a homer and Kobe lover for stating the truth right? Just go along with it. I find it easier to co-exist with the fanatics here.

ZeN
04-15-2009, 02:21 PM
MJ was too strong, fast and creative in his prime. Not even #8 Kobe could beat him, #24 would get crushed. :oldlol: this coming from a KB fan who watched MJ play

KB is strong, fast, and creative in his prime as well..

Its not like im stating that Kobe is an overall better player than Jordan when Primes compared.. Im just stating that a mano-a-mano matchup would be closer than some would have it seem...

KobeRules24
04-15-2009, 02:23 PM
KB is strong, fast, and creative in his prime as well..

Its not like im stating that Kobe is an overall better player than Jordan when Primes compared.. Im just stating that a mano-a-mano matchup would be closer than some would have it seem...

maybe close yes, but i still think MJ would come out on top.

ZeN
04-15-2009, 02:25 PM
maybe close yes, but i still think MJ would come out on top.

I would surely understand why you would think that...

Im not sure if I could personally choose one in particular..

I find both to be unguardable in given primes... so a tie is not out of the question for me..

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 02:27 PM
It does seem like a futile effort... :D

Funny, and rather ironic thing. I put my cursor over your rep and it said "You are the Michael Jordan of posters" and you have the best rep imaginable.

Thom.Yorke
04-15-2009, 02:36 PM
no one to date has shown they could shut down prine mj 1-1. kobe is as close as it gets then wade.

sorry but lebron can't even stop kobe right now and kobe @ 30. all he has to do is shoot the high arc shot he got him at cleveland all day long.

mj is the teacher and kobe is the student.

SRZ66
04-15-2009, 02:46 PM
water is blue sky is wet grass is oragne

GOBB
04-15-2009, 03:08 PM
No one could beat MJ 1 on 1 because he would resort to cheating if he suspected a loss on the horizon. And why would anyone expect MJ to say otherwise? Most great players feel they were the best or atleast wouldnt shortchange themselves in placed up against another.

And no Kareem, Shaq, Wilt wouldnt easily beat MJ. You cant say that unless you establish that its make it take it. Which is basically everytime you score you get the ball back. I could see MJ losing 1 on 1 easily this way. But other than that who knows. And I'm not one to think MJ is unbeatable 1 on 1 like many. But I am one to think Wilt, Shaq and Kareem couldnt guard MJ.

rawimpact
04-15-2009, 03:12 PM
I wonder how many free throws their would be?

I think both are talented enough to win, but jordan 6/10 times will.

OldSchoolBBall
04-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Jordan would win about 7 of every 10 one-on-one games they played.

GOBB
04-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Jordan would win about 7 of every 10 one-on-one games they played.

:oldlol: Why not 8 out of 11?

OldSchoolBBall
04-15-2009, 03:21 PM
:oldlol: Why not 8 out of 11?

I'm just trying to give an estimate. I think Jordan is more likely to win than Kobe, but I do think Kobe could win as well. So I'd say MJ takes about 7 out of 10 games they play. Just like how, when comparing the greatest teams of all-time (e.g., the '96 Bulls vs. '86 Celts), I always say that one team will win X/10 series they played vs. one another, since it's unlikely that teams (or in this case players) on that level will ALWAYS win.

Heilige
04-15-2009, 03:22 PM
No one could beat MJ 1 on 1 because he would resort to cheating if he suspected a loss on the horizon. And why would anyone expect MJ to say otherwise? Most great players feel they were the best or atleast wouldnt shortchange themselves in placed up against another.

And no Kareem, Shaq, Wilt wouldnt easily beat MJ. You cant say that unless you establish that its make it take it. Which is basically everytime you score you get the ball back. I could see MJ losing 1 on 1 easily this way. But other than that who knows. And I'm not one to think MJ is unbeatable 1 on 1 like many. But I am one to think Wilt, Shaq and Kareem couldnt guard MJ.

Wouldn't MJ have more pride than resorting to cheating if he played 1 on 1 against someone? :confusedshrug:

BallPhunk
04-15-2009, 03:27 PM
There's only one thing I'm certain of - I'd love to watch it.

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 03:45 PM

I can't disagree with Jordan. Jordan was one of the best 1 on 1 players of all time. People forget that he had Scottie Pippen defending him every day in practice. Ex-Bulls say the best games they saw were in practice when Jordan and Scottie would go at it. I'm sure Jordan pulled out all the playground type moves in those games.

Kobe vs Jordan, first to 21 points?

Jordan's competitive drive and amazing skill-set wins out:

Jordan 21
Kobe 14

"Jordan would rip your heart out..." -George Karl

Younggrease
04-15-2009, 03:48 PM
I can't disagree with Jordan. Jordan was one of the best 1 on 1 players of all time. People forget that he had Scottie Pippen defending him every day in practice. Ex-Bulls say the best games they saw were in practice when Jordan and Scottie would go at it. I'm sure Jordan pulled out all the playground type moves in those games.

Kobe vs Jordan, first to 21 points?

Jordan's competitive drive and amazing skill-set wins out:

Jordan 21
Kobe 14

"Jordan would rip your heart out..." -George Karl

People dont realize that 2 guards can be beat by post players with a little ball handling skils rather easily. There are many players in history that could beat MJ, Kobe isnt one of them, but I could see a big small forward or power forward with decent handle doing it. They would just have to back him up into layups. I know Jordan was strong but he wasnt messing with a larry johnson.

DuMa
04-15-2009, 03:49 PM
People dont realize that 2 guards can be beat by post players with a little ball handling skils rather easily. There are many players in history that could beat MJ, Kobe isnt one of them, but I could see a big small forward or power forward with decent handle doing it. They would just have to back him up into layups. I know Jordan was strong but he wasnt messing with a larry johnson.
he was stopping 6'9" magic johnson in the post in 91 finals without help most of the time.

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 03:50 PM

I think Kobe trying to defend Pippen in the post illustrates what you are saying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnD67NnYir8

andgar923
04-15-2009, 03:51 PM
One major thing you guys are all forgetting.

MJ played against Kobe during Kobe's physical prime and when he was in possibly his skills prime.

So in essence he knows what to expect and how to play him.

MJ is extremely smart, he might get beat from time to time by Kobe. But he won't do it with the same move twice.

Even in his Wizards days, MJ didn't let people use the same move on him twice, he'd see the move coming before the offensive player did.

Why?

He let his defense dictate the game, not the other way around. So if I'm forcing you to the left, and you give me a good move, I'll keep that in mind. So when I force you to the left again, I'll know exactly what to expect and beat you before you make your move. You'll only have a few options and I'll be aware of those and react before you even have time to make them.

So... the result would be in a very tough contested shot from that point on, since your moves are already scouted.

Call me what ever you want, that's just the reality of the situation.

On the other hand, I've seen Kobe make the same mistake over and over and over on defense. I've seen him get beat by the same move by the same player in the same game, countless times.

And.... MJ would be too athletic for Kobe.

His athleticism alone would make Kobe frustrated.

Pick any Kobe era.

The early no.8 version isn't smart or good enough. The later 8 version isn't athletic enough.

GOBB
04-15-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm just trying to give an estimate. I think Jordan is more likely to win than Kobe, but I do think Kobe could win as well. So I'd say MJ takes about 7 out of 10 games they play. Just like how, when comparing the greatest teams of all-time (e.g., the '96 Bulls vs. '86 Celts), I always say that one team will win X/10 series they played vs. one another, since it's unlikely that teams (or in this case players) on that level will ALWAYS win.

I knew what you meant. Just poking fun at when people always do it that way tho. x out of 10.

Wouldn't MJ have more pride than resorting to cheating if he played 1 on 1 against someone?

MJ got away with cheating while in the NBA. He wouldnt call it cheating moreso taking advantage of what is given to you or what you get away with. Plus Rip Hamilton put MJ on blast awhile back for cheating whenever the two played 1 on 1. :oldlol:

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 04:05 PM
One major thing you guys are all forgetting.

MJ played against Kobe during Kobe's physical prime and when he was in possibly his skills prime.

So in essence he knows what to expect and how to play him.

MJ is extremely smart, he might get beat from time to time by Kobe. But he won't do it with the same move twice.

Even in his Wizards days, MJ didn't let people use the same move on him twice, he'd see the move coming before the offensive player did.

Why?

He let his defense dictate the game, not the other way around. So if I'm forcing you to the left, and you give me a good move, I'll keep that in mind. So when I force you to the left again, I'll know exactly what to expect and beat you before you make your move. You'll only have a few options and I'll be aware of those and react before you even have time to make them.

So... the result would be in a very tough contested shot from that point on, since your moves are already scouted.

Call me what ever you want, that's just the reality of the situation.

On the other hand, I've seen Kobe make the same mistake over and over and over on defense. I've seen him get beat by the same move by the same player in the same game, countless times.

And.... MJ would be too athletic for Kobe.

His athleticism alone would make Kobe frustrated.

Pick any Kobe era.

The early no.8 version isn't smart or good enough. The later 8 version isn't athletic enough.
:cheers: :applause: :applause: :applause: :cheers:

I agree with this assessment 100%.

Just look at the basketball IQ showing here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvJywRV9P0w

Jordan was the best ever at getting the defender off balance and getting himself better looks at the basket. Of course being able to hit contested fadeaway's over double teams while being face guarded helps too, lol.

In Jordan's prime nobody in NBA history would be able to contain him to the perimeter 1 on 1. That's a fact.

Younggrease
04-15-2009, 04:05 PM
he was stopping 6'9" magic johnson in the post in 91 finals without help most of the time.
thats false..that was Pippen

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 04:06 PM
I think Kobe trying to defend Pippen in the post illustrates what you are saying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnD67NnYir8

I'm at work and Youtube is a blocked site. How about posting clips of Kobe blocking Pippen's shots or going around him and scoring at will? Surely you remember.

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 04:07 PM

As I told Zen, don't argue with the fanatics. They will constantly say it was MJ. Watch...

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 04:07 PM

younggrease, gotta call you out on that one. Jordan was locking down Magic until Jordan got in foul trouble for being over-aggressive.

The myth that Pippen locked down Magic has grown like a bad rumor. Pippen played great defense on Magic for one game, in the next game Magic was chewing him up so Phil moved Jordan back onto Magic. The only reason Pippen started defending Magic was because Jordan was in foul trouble. Anyone who watched the entire series knows this man.

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 04:09 PM
As I told Zen, don't argue with the fanatics. They will constantly say it was MJ. Watch...

Oh, so you don't think Jordan would dominate Kobe 1 on 1, fair enough, I think you're nuts.

steeph28
04-15-2009, 04:09 PM
What about King James? ha

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Oh, so you don't think Jordan would dominate Kobe 1 on 1, fair enough, I think you're nuts.

Lol, you got that from me saying don't argue with people saying MJ guarded Magic and not Pip? Told you guys. Fanatics, lol.

andgar923
04-15-2009, 04:11 PM
:cheers: :applause: :applause: :applause: :cheers:

I agree with this assessment 100%.

Just look at the basketball IQ showing here:

Jordan was the best ever at getting the defender off balance and getting himself better looks at the basket. Of course being able to hit contested fadeaway's over double teams while being face guarded helps too, lol.

In Jordan's prime nobody in NBA history would be able to contain him to the perimeter 1 on 1. That's a fact.

Fact is.... Kobe wouldn't be patient enough on defense, he'd gamble too much.

MJ is also a much more physical player, even in his young days.

People have this misconception that MJ only started posting up when he got old and couldn't jump. But we both know that MJ was posting up since his college days. MJ could always hit the turnaround and post up bigger players. He just developed the turnaround even more, but he could still do it effectively.

MJ wins hands down

And I always laugh at the extreme confidence that he says it in, as if it'll be a walk in the park.

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Lol, you got that from me saying don't argue with people saying MJ guarded Magic and not Pip? Told you guys. Fanatics, lol.
Hmmm, don't see Kobe containing this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCRre3nX88g

If you think Jordan would lose a 1 on 1 game to Kobe, prime vs prime, you are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51WIykNTUV0

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Fact is.... Kobe wouldn't be patient enough on defense, he'd gamble too much.

MJ is also a much more physical player, even in his young days.

People have this misconception that MJ only started posting up when he got old and couldn't jump. But we both know that MJ was posting up since his college days. MJ could always hit the turnaround and post up bigger players. He just developed the turnaround even more, but he could still do it effectively.

MJ wins hands down

And I always laugh at the extreme confidence that he says it in, as if it'll be a walk in the park.

I state my opinion that Jordan would dominate him with extreme confidence. I'm glad Jordan came out and finally said that in public. You know he felt it the entire time.

Kobe Bryant's thoughts on Jordan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WxHQCZ4geQ

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 04:15 PM

Again. You're trying to prove to me that MJ would beat Kobe 1 on 1 because I said Pip guarded Magic the majority of the 1991 Finals? Am I understandinging this correctly?

andgar923
04-15-2009, 04:16 PM
What about King James? ha

MJ would embarrass Bron even more.

If Kobe's defense is suspect, Bron's is even more suspect.

Bron can't post up as good as Kobe, so his size won't help him in that department.

His size and strength can be useful in some instances, but MJ's game would overwhelm Bron.

I mean... If Bowen can put the clamps on MJ, MJ would do an even better job.

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 04:17 PM
MJ would embarrass Bron even more.

If Kobe's defense is suspect, Bron's is even more suspect.

Bron can't post up as good as Kobe, so his size won't help him in that department.

His size and strength can be useful in some instances, but MJ's game would overwhelm Bron.

I mean... If Bowen can put the clamps on MJ, MJ would do an even better job.

I think people always forget how effective Jordan's moves were. Even the subtle ball and head fakes. Nobody was as effective at shaking defenders. Nobody. Oh sure we've seen flashes of brilliance from other players.... there is only one.

andgar923
04-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Again. You're trying to prove to me that MJ would beat Kobe 1 on 1 because I said Pip guarded Magic the majority of the 1991 Finals? Am I understandinging this correctly?

MJ guarded Magic for about 80% of the time, he always has.

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 04:18 PM
I said Pip guarded Magic the majority of the 1991 Finals?

Majority? You clearly didn't watch the Finals in 1991. You're opinion means squat to me.

Scott Pippen
04-15-2009, 04:21 PM
younggrease, gotta call you out on that one. Jordan was locking down Magic until Jordan got in foul trouble for being over-aggressive.

The myth that Pippen locked down Magic has grown like a bad rumor. Pippen played great defense on Magic for one game, in the next game Magic was chewing him up so Phil moved Jordan back onto Magic. The only reason Pippen started defending Magic was because Jordan was in foul trouble. Anyone who watched the entire series knows this man.Yes of course. But I will say that was a very impressive performance from Pip in the 2nd half of game 2. Really Horace, etc, everyone stepped up big after Game 1 "butterflies". But you are right it is a misconception about Pip locking down Magic for the series. As if one player can shut down Magic in the first place.

lefthook00
04-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Obviously MJ can score on KB, and obviously KB can score on MJ. They've scored on eachother many times. MJ would just score on KB a bit more, and win the game.

DonDadda59
04-15-2009, 04:22 PM
35 year old Jordan vs 19 year old Kobe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLVfougACiQ

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Yes of course. But I will say that was a very impressive performance from Pip in the 2nd half of game 2. Really Horace, etc, everyone stepped up big after Game 1 "butterflies". But you are right it is a misconception about Pip locking down Magic for the series. As if one player can shut down Magic in the first place.

Ah, my friend, if they only were actually watching the games.

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Majority? You clearly didn't watch the Finals in 1991. You're opinion means squat to me.

Aww, I was hoping to be on your buddy list. The biggest Laker hater/ MJ Stan on ISH is gonna devalue my oppinion. Oh no.

Indian guy
04-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Andgar & bruce's ignorance in full flow in this thread. Should've expected it.

To answer the question, 1-on-1 games between two similar players are such a toss-up. I'll give MJ a 55-45 edge. Maybe even 60-40 because of his dominant post-up game(something Kobe doesn't have). Wouldn't surprise me if Kobe won though. 1-on-1 is his game and what he does best.

sixerfan82
04-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Bowen would lock down Jordan with defense like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhTjSrZi91Y

Seriously though, MJ can beat anyone 1-on-1 in his prime. He's the messiah of messiah's. He's an insurmountable legend who can dunk from 30ft out, hit 200ft jumpers and score 4pts when shooting twos.

He's like super omega alpha jesus of basketball who can be like OMGKOBE and score 20 jillion points.

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Aww, I was hoping to be on your buddy list. The biggest Laker hater/ MJ Stan on ISH is gonna devalue my oppinion. Oh no.

Tell me how many Lakers I have in my top 10 NBA players of all time list:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2747391&postcount=1

Sorry if you feel that I'm a hater because I don't kiss Kobe Bryant's ass. I have given Kobe props countless times and he was my favorite player in the NBA for a handful of years. Sorry if your jealousy over the fact that I like LeBron more and think LeBron's better bothers you, and you like a child who just found out that the Easter Bunny is fake, you call me a hater for it. Props for your immature perpsective.

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Hey andgar, these kids are hilarious to me. You can tell they watched the last 3 years Jordan was a Bull, AT THE MOST.

At the friggin most!

Scott Pippen
04-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Ah, my friend, if they only were actually watching the games.Yes I would say injuries hurt the Lakers morein that series. Plus the Bulls were so fired up. They played a below average Game 1 and still it took Perk's 3 pointer to win the game for them. And Magic averaged 19/8/12 over the series. Definitley not shut down, but of course I may say Pip on Magic in Game 2 (a better matchup as far as size and length) was one of the turning points for the series. Also injuries, and the role players stepping up big.

If we want to see Pip shut someone down let us look at the '98 ECF vs the Pacers & Mark Jackson. Really it was funny one possession he was trying to post up Pip, he was turned back at the end of the quarter. :applause:

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Tell me how many Lakers I have in my top 10 NBA players of all time list:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2747391&postcount=1

Sorry if you feel that I'm a hater because I don't kiss Kobe Bryant's ass. I have given Kobe props countless times and he was my favorite player in the NBA for a handful of years. Sorry if your jealousy that I like LeBron more and think LeBron's better bothers you and like a child who just found out that the Easter Bunny is fake, you call me a hater for it. Props for your immature perpsective.

Lol, yea. You are touched. Severely I may add. I could care less about Kobe vs MJ, MJ vs Lebron, Lebron vs Kobe. If you were to see everything Ive ever posted about Kobe, about 70% of it is about what he does wrong. I know he's flawed. Difference between me and you, besides your lack of common sense and laughable avatar, is that you feel like MJ and LBJ walk on water and $hit pure gold logs that smell like Cool Water cologne. Seriously, all jokes aside, you are an idiot and I hope you get some help for that.

DonDadda59
04-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Lol, yea. You are touched. Severely I may add. I could care less about Kobe vs MJ, MJ vs Lebron, Lebron vs Kobe. If you were to see everything Ive ever posted about Kobe, about 70% of it is about what he does wrong. I know he's flawed. Difference between me and you, besides your lack of common sense and laughable avatar, is that you feel like MJ and LBJ walk on water and $hit pure gold logs that smell like Cool Water cologne. Seriously, all jokes aside, you are an idiot and I hope you get some help for that.

Cool Water cologne is the **** :D

But seriously though, Kobe never had Jordan's speed, quickness, strength, hands, jumping ability, defensive intensity or will to win. It would be painful to watch.

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 04:39 PM

In other words, you aren't a basketball fan, you sure as hell aren't a savant, but one thing you are, is blocked. Congrats, you are the second user on here I've blocked!

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Yes I would say injuries hurt the Lakers morein that series. Plus the Bulls were so fired up. They played a below average Game 1 and still it took Perk's 3 pointer to win the game for them. And Magic averaged 19/8/12 over the series. Definitley not shut down, but of course I may say Pip on Magic in Game 2 (a better matchup as far as size and length) was one of the turning points for the series. Also injuries, and the role players stepping up big.

If we want to see Pip shut someone down let us look at the '98 ECF vs the Pacers & Mark Jackson. Really it was funny one possession he was trying to post up Pip, he was turned back at the end of the quarter. :applause:
Anyways, now that I blocked the troll, back to discussing actual basketball. I agree nobody "shut down" Magic. Jordan defended him for most of that series and held him in check, Pippen did a great job on Magic in spots. The combo of Jordan and Pippen showed numerous times that they could hold the league's best perimeter players in check.

That being said, nobody held MJ in check, that's for sure. In the 1991 NBA Finals Jordan posted per game averages of 31.2 points on 56% shooting from the field, 11.4 assists, 6.6 rebounds, 2.8 steals and 1.4 blocks. Jordan won his first NBA Finals MVP award by a unanimous decision, and he cried while holding the NBA Finals trophy.

You always hear people ask "will LeBron average a triple double like the Big O did?"

These are some of my questions for the future:

-Will anyone ever match Jordan's 10 scoring titles?

-Will anyone ever score 55 points in the NBA Finals like Jordan did?

- Will anyone ever average 31+ppg on 56% shooting in the NBA finals while dishing out 11.4 dimes per game?

I could keep going on, but you get the point. The "Jordan standard" is too high up for a lot of these players to ever reach. I just don't see anyone ever eclipsing the legacy that is Jordan, ever.

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 04:44 PM
In other words, you aren't a basketball fan, you sure as hell aren't a savant, but one thing you are, is blocked. Congrats, you are the second user on here I've blocked!

LMAO, you serious? People here actually block one another? If that ain't the sorriest $hit I've ever seen in my life, I don't know what is. Guess you never got the "sticks and stones" speach from your mommy as a little boy.

I honestly think we are speaking 2 different languages. Your responses to me are just off the wall crazy. It's like we're having 2 different conversations. Simply amazing. No, I'm not a savant but compared to you I'm like Einstein. Lol, f^ckin loser.

YoungRich
04-15-2009, 04:47 PM
to 15 win by 2... it will go on for about 2 hours till kobe jacks up some b.s. 3 to try and win.. and fail

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 04:48 PM
"This message is hidden because The Magic Man is on your ignore list."

I wonder what he said, oh well, guarantee it has nothing to do with basketball. People like that need to get a life.

YoungRich
04-15-2009, 04:49 PM
meow

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 05:02 PM

I wonder what he said, oh well, guarantee it has nothing to do with basketball. People like that need to get a life.

Yet you wonder what I said. Lol, man you are a joke. I guess this is more of a metaphor for our relationship. I can see you. You definately can't see me.

GOBB
04-15-2009, 05:05 PM

Translation: "You dont agree with my opinion and even tho I talked down to not only you but others? You need to get a life. I refuse to admit i havent called anyone kids, questioned thier bball knowledge nor told them the exact period of time in which they've seen MJ play. But anyone who pulls my routine back on me? Ignore list you go! Are you with my andglar????"

The person who needs a life is the one who is easily offended someones opinion doesnt favor MJ 100% of the time.

These 2 are like Glove_20 and GMAT.

Scott Pippen
04-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Anyways, now that I blocked the troll, back to discussing actual basketball. I agree nobody "shut down" Magic. Jordan defended him for most of that series and held him in check, Pippen did a great job on Magic in spots. The combo of Jordan and Pippen showed numerous times that they could hold the league's best perimeter players in check.

That being said, nobody held MJ in check, that's for sure. In the 1991 NBA Finals Jordan posted per game averages of 31.2 points on 56% shooting from the field, 11.4 assists, 6.6 rebounds, 2.8 steals and 1.4 blocks. Jordan won his first NBA Finals MVP award by a unanimous decision, and he cried while holding the NBA Finals trophy.
Yes the best they do is to slow them down and/or body them up. Even Hersey Hawkins I have seen on occasion give Jordan some difficulty every now and then with the 76ers. A superstar cannot be shut down, unless a weakness is exploited and there is good 5 man defense. Or the player may just be having an off game.

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Yes the best they do is to slow them down and/or body them up. Even Hersey Hawkins I have seen on occasion give Jordan some difficulty every now and then with the 76ers. A superstar cannot be shut down, unless a weakness is exploited and there is good 5 man defense. Or the player may just be having an off game.

In my opinion, the 90's Knicks, the 80's Pistons and the mid 90's Sonics did the best job defending Jordan.

OldSchoolBBall
04-15-2009, 05:27 PM

It was Pippen for about 40% of the series, actually; Jordan was on him for the other 60%. The entire series is on youtube if you'd care to inform yourself.

andgar923
04-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Hey andgar, these kids are hilarious to me. You can tell they watched the last 3 years Jordan was a Bull, AT THE MOST.

At the friggin most!

I think most of them have the clips that they always show with Fratello saying:

"Pippen is a little bit bigger a little stronger"

Embedded in their head, and get the idea that MJ was playing horribly on Magic so they put Pip on him the entire series.

OldSchoolBBall
04-15-2009, 05:29 PM

Actually, the fanatic is an idiot like you who spouts untruths rather than watching the series for himself.

Jordan guarded Magic 50-60% of the time in that series, even after Pippen switched onto Magic in game 2. Here's when Jordan guarded Magic:

- all of game 1
- first quarter of game 2
- about 25% of game 3
- 50-60% of game 4
- virtually all of game 5

Fact. Go watch the series and stop spouting bullsh*t.

andgar923
04-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Andgar & bruce's ignorance in full flow in this thread. Should've expected it.

To answer the question, 1-on-1 games between two similar players are such a toss-up. I'll give MJ a 55-45 edge. Maybe even 60-40 because of his dominant post-up game(something Kobe doesn't have). Wouldn't surprise me if Kobe won though. 1-on-1 is his game and what he does best.

How are my posts ignorant?

Kobe has shown repeatedly to make mistakes on defense repeatedly throughout his career (dumb ones at that).

Kobe also has a history of forcing things, defensively and offensively.

So you can chose any Kobe era, and MJ would overwhelm him.

If they played 10 times I think MJ would win 8 or 9.

Because like I mentioned, MJ would know most of Kobe's moves by then. Sure MJ will get crossed and Kobe will hit some tough shots. But MJ would defend Kobe better than Kobe would defend MJ.

And like I mentioned in my opening post....

MJ has played vs Kobe in different stages of their careers. So he can gauge how effective he'll be against him and vice versa.

Also... Kobe has never played against somebody with the combination of MJ's athleticism, skill, intelligence and determination or close to it.

And like somebody mentioned, MJ played Pip everyday in practice.

I don't see how its even debatable.

zay_24
04-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Let's see, kobe has more hops, better man to man defense,better shooter and gets to the hole better.
Kobe wins

Bigsmoke
04-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Despite him being a horrible coach... i think Isiah Thomas in his prime might beat Jordan in his prime... i mean i would be close at least...

LA_Showtime
Let's see, kobe has more hops, better man to man defense,better shooter and gets to the hole better.
Kobe wins
:hammerhead:

bruceblitz
Kobe wins

I can't believe someone can be this far false. Unreal. I'll just sit back and watch the debunking begin on this one, I don't even need to type.

Bigsmoke
Kobe wins

there is nothing right about this post homie

iLoveNBA
04-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Jordan is better than Kobe at everything except shooting.

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Actually, the fanatic is an idiot like you who spouts untruths rather than watching the series for himself.

Jordan guarded Magic 50-60% of the time in that series, even after Pippen switched onto Magic in game 2. Here's when Jordan guarded Magic:

- all of game 1
- first quarter of game 2
- about 25% of game 3
- 50-60% of game 4
- virtually all of game 5

Fact. Go watch the series and stop spouting bullsh*t.

Ah my old nemesis. I was wondering when you'd pop up and spew your stupidity all over the place. Boy, if it weren't for Youtube, what would you do? I say Pip gaurded him the majority of the time. You say half the time. Yet I'm an idiot? I watched the series...when it f^ckin happend. And no one is saying Magic was $hitting on MJ in the series and that forced Pip on him but if you tally the stats, neither was that effictive on him so what diff does it make? Your just as dumb as BruceB!tch.

LA_Showtime
There are only 2 things that you can compare between Kobe and MJ and get away with it.

1. Scoring sprees

2. Their ability to judge talent.:banghead:
"Ship his ass out for Jason Kidd"
Kwame Brown, Adam Morrison... need I continue?

Bigsmoke

Jordan shot over 50% almost thoughout his whole career and he used to shoot the ball a lot

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 05:57 PM
I just love how Kobe, someone who's never shot over 48% for one season in his entire career, is a "better shooter" than Jordan who won 6 of his 10 scoring titles while making 50% or more of his shot attempts.

That's a classic misconception.

Kobe does nothing better than Jordan did.

andgar923
04-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Despite him being a horrible coach... i think Isiah Thomas in his prime might beat Jordan in his prime... i mean i would be close at least...

Sorry

MJ was just as quick (and faster) as Zeke. MJ actually used to hold Zeke in check whenever they were matched up.

I remember watching games where Zeke would shake and bake, but MJ would be right there in front of him. And even if Zeke shakes MJ, MJ is athletic enough to recover, plus he has the height advantage.

zay_24
04-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Jordan shot over 50% almost thoughout his whole career and he used to shoot the ball a lot
So shaq is the best shooter in the league?

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 06:00 PM
zay_24 needs this:
http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_images/857/30633857.jpg

Bigsmoke
04-15-2009, 06:00 PM

i said MJ used to shoot the ball alot... not lay it in from 2 feet away from the basket.

zay_24
04-15-2009, 06:01 PM
i said MJ used to shoot the ball alot... not lay it in from 2 feet away from the basket.
Mj scored in the paint more.

Kobe has a better 3 point%, so he was the better shooter.

Bigsmoke
04-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Mj scored in the paint more.

Kobe has a better 3 point%, so he was the better shooter.

Kobe barely has a better 3 point percentage while Jordan can shoot through double teams A LOT better.

zay_24
04-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Kobe barely has a better 3 point percentage while Jordan can shoot through double teams A LOT better.
Kobe is also known for taking bad shots.
If they got into a 3 point shoot off, kobe would win and you know it.

andgar923
04-15-2009, 06:11 PM
So you're saying that Kobe would win because he's better at taking a shot that's only 35% accurate, as opposed to a shot that's over 50%?

I can't wait to play you one on one.

zay_24
04-15-2009, 06:13 PM
So you're saying that Kobe would win because he's better at taking a shot that's only 35% accurate, as opposed to a shot that's over 50%?

I can't wait to play you one on one.
1.)I was saying that kobe takes bad shots so his field goal% is lower
2.) I would destroy you one-on-one, doubt it would be a challenge. Especially since I consider myself a top 5 player in the world.

andgar923
04-15-2009, 06:15 PM
1.)I was saying that kobe takes bad shots so his field goal% is lower
2.) I would destroy you one-on-one, doubt it would be a challenge. Especially since I consider myself a top 5 player in the world.

D.Wade?

juju151111
04-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Kobe wins
He doesn't have more hops idiot.

MMM
04-15-2009, 06:48 PM
The sky is blue and water is wet.

why did Judas rat to Romans while Jesus slept

is that you Ghostface?

Juges8932
04-15-2009, 07:15 PM
For full seasons, I only saw the second 3-peat of the Bulls due to my age. I've seen old playoff games and stuff, but not regular season stuff. But I've watched Kobe since he came in the league and watch every game of his I can. I definitely think MJ would win, but not by a landslide like some think. Yes, MJ had that insatiable need to win and be the best. But there is a lot of that in Kobe too. I think MJ would take it 6/10. Yeah, MJ read the defense and adjusted, or read the offensive players moves, buuuuuuuut, so does Kobe. Granted, in Kobe's early seasons he got beat a lot of times. For a while now, Kobe's bball IQ is very high and to say he couldn't adjust to MJ is bias. They both have tricks and can attack you any way they want on offense. Jordan being better at posting up and driving into the lane, while Kobe being better at various jump-shots. Although, MJ had a nasty fade-away and Kobe has a pretty solid post-up game IMO. People spend too much damn time hating. Kobe said MJ is the GOAT, most people agree, but to say they are incomparable is dumb.

TheAnchorman
04-15-2009, 07:18 PM
MJ was the better shooter. MJ has higher basketball IQ and better decision-making skills when it comes to shooting (overall, actually).
Kobe has longer range.

/end debate

lefthook00
04-15-2009, 07:19 PM
You guys know that 1-on-1 is not NBA basketball right? They are 2 different animals. The disparity between them in a 1-on-1 game isn't as much as you guys think.

unbreakable
04-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Prime Jordan was too strong and too smart to lose, hypothetically.

But will the amateurs in this thread stop saying things like "it wouldnt be close".. did you forget how sick prime Kobe was? I guarantee you there'd be plays where both Jordan and Kobe are making each other look silly.

TheAnchorman
04-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Prime Jordan was too strong and too smart to lose, hypothetically.

But will the amateurs in this thread stop saying things like "it wouldnt be close".. did you forget how sick prime Kobe was? I guarantee you there'd be plays where both Jordan and Kobe are making each other look silly.
Agreed, I would place my bets on Jordan but if there were 5 pickups games (best out of 5), Kobe would probably win 2 of them, he is an offensive force.

Kiddlovesnets
04-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Kobe wouldn't even beat a 38 year old Jordan 1 on 1...

Mdog1
04-15-2009, 07:28 PM
The only way Kobe would win is if MJ played left handed, no played with his feet so he kept getting kick ball calls. Kobe still might not score though because MJ=Jesus.

unbreakable
04-15-2009, 07:28 PM
The only way Kobe would win is if MJ played left handed, no played with his feet so he kept getting kick ball calls. Kobe still might not score though because MJ=Jesus.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Thanks. I needed a good laugh. :cheers:

TheCommish
04-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Ah, the two most skilled perimeter players of all time. MJ's superior bball IQ and physical advantages give him the edge. MJ wins 6-7 times outta 10.

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 07:40 PM
You guys know that 1-on-1 is not NBA basketball right? They are 2 different animals. The disparity between them in a 1-on-1 game isn't as much as you guys think.

Yea, but these idiots think Michael Jordan is God. Like, take this for instance. They keep saying in his prime, right? But then they say, MJ was a better shooter, stronger, jumped higher, was faster, smarter, basically no flaws. When do you fools consider him being in his prime? His whole career? I mean, it's like you take one particular Kobe and put him against a Super MJ with bits and pieces of his attributes from a span of 10-15 years. Then take the idiot saying Kobe wouldnt beat a 38 year old MJ when Kobe shot a duce in his face when they last played. Phil had to pull Kobe off his a$$. :rolleyes: Fanatics.

Killbot
04-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Michael Jordan is correct.

gpfanz
04-15-2009, 07:44 PM
yep, i do think lebron could beat prime MJ 1-on-1

I think Lebron can beat MJ/ Kobe or even Wade 1 on 1:hammertime:

lefthook00
04-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Yea, but these idiots think Michael Jordan is God. Like, take this for instance. They keep saying in his prime, right? But then they say, MJ was a better shooter, stronger, jumped higher, was faster, smarter, basically no flaws. When do you fools consider him being in his prime? His whole career? I mean, it's like you take one particular Kobe and put him against a Super MJ with bits and pieces of his attributes from a span of 10-15 years. Then take the idiot saying Kobe wouldnt beat a 38 year old MJ when Kobe shot a duce in his face when they last played. Phil had to pull Kobe off his a$$. :rolleyes: Fanatics.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. 02-03 Kobe would be SICK one on one.

Samurai Swoosh
04-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I know what you're saying. 02-03 Kobe would be SICK one on one.
It would be sick, but Jordan in his prime would not be beat. His insane competitive drive would not ALLOW it to happen. Kobe's a strong determined individual, but as you've seen even he can crumble under the most intense spotlight and pressure. Jordan? Nah, he lived for that ****. There isn't a version or season of Kobe Bryant that could ultimately one up Michael Jordan as he was from 1987 - 1993. Could Kobe take a few games? I'm sure of it. But MJ would be the winner when all is said and done. Now, a 1985 - 1987 or 1996 - 1998 Michael Jordan could definetely be beaten by a prime Kobe Bryant.

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 08:23 PM
It would be sick, but Jordan in his prime would not be beat. His insane competitive drive would not ALLOW it to happen. Kobe's a strong determined individual, but as you've seen even he can crumble under the most intense spotlight and pressure. Jordan? Nah, he lived for that ****. There isn't a version or season of Kobe Bryant that could ultimately one up Michael Jordan as he was from 1987 - 1993. Could Kobe take a few games? I'm sure of it. But MJ would be the winner when all is said and done. Now, a 1985 - 1987 or 1996 - 1998 Michael Jordan could definetely be beaten by a prime Kobe Bryant.

Lol, the outcome of a game like that doesn't really matter to me but for conversation sake, how about you guys choose one year for each player. Wouldn't that be more fair? Clearly nobody has ever been perfect. Mj has had flaws every year in the league but some of you guys act like he was flawless. At least then you could get a better feel for how each one would exploit the other's weaknesses.

thejumpa
04-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Lol, the outcome of a game like that doesn't really matter to me but for conversation sake, how about you guys choose one year for each player. Wouldn't that be more fair? Clearly nobody has ever been perfect. Mj has had flaws every year in the league but some of you guys act like he was flawless. At least then you could get a better feel for how each one would exploit the other's weaknesses.

I agree it does sound like people think he was in his prime forever but hey....that's what fans will do...

Kobe is what? 29? I'll just say Jordan at 29 would whup the **** out of Kobe. Agreed?

And I know it may sound stupid, but to many in the basketball world (fans AND players), the guy is treated like a god. Based off that alone makes people give you that confused dog look when you question his status. I'm just saying, its obvious Kobe studied and patterned his game after Michael....had the same coach and a piece of the same success. It would be a good match up. Probably the best out of any SG that could play MJ. But, overall he would get roasted.

lilojmayo
04-15-2009, 08:35 PM
I agree it does sound like people think he was in his prime forever but hey....that's what fans will do...

Kobe is what? 29? I'll just say Jordan at 29 would whup the **** out of Kobe. Agreed?

Kobe is 30 years old and a 34 yr old Jordan could beat him with ease

Alpha Wolf
04-15-2009, 08:35 PM
:lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97HB6GJb3WQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-2Hd-Ly2CQ

Godfather
04-15-2009, 08:38 PM
:lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-2Hd-Ly2CQ

Because clowning a 42 year old man is impressive :ohwell:

thejumpa
04-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Kobe is 30 years old and a 34 yr old Jordan could beat him with ease

True.

lilojmayo
04-15-2009, 08:46 PM
But lets get real ppl, Prime MJ would beat any perimeter player in the league ( including LeBron James). MJ was just so competitive ( unless you paid thousands of dollars at his middle age men academy where he would let you beat him). I just don't see how any perimeter player could beat MJ, i am still amazed when i watch his old games on youtube, he is just on a different level then any basketball player i have ever seen before.

Micku
04-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Who knows what will happen one on one. Does anyone know Kobe's play style one on one? I remember a video where Kobe was playing street ball and using some skills that I didn't see him doing the entire time in the NBA. Will Kobe use that style of basketball one on one?

Anyway, they are both around the same size, but I think Jordan would beat Kobe more than Kobe beating Jordan. Although, I think LBJ would beat most guards and fowards too. I'm only guessing though. I never seen any of them play a one on one game.

eliteballer
04-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Stackhouse beat him he was still in college and Scott fing Burrell took him the distance. Jordan's handle is elementary compared to Kobes. He'd get embarrassed:oldlol:

mhg88
04-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Old, but obviously the truth. Anyone that thinks otherwise is clearly a

Biased Kobe fan

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 09:11 PM

nuff said
:cheers:

Alpha Wolf
04-15-2009, 09:16 PM
nuff said

iLoveNBA
04-15-2009, 09:19 PM
I can't believe this is being discussed, Jordan was way better in his prime.

Jordan dominated a league with handcheck being allowed and against the toughest defenses of all-time the New York Knicks.

Do any of you think Kobe would be able to take out the 90s Knicks? Hell No, He would be crying by the 2nd half.

Jordan is the greatest player to ever live, It can be debatable but Jordan is my nominee GOAT.

SoCalMike
04-15-2009, 09:23 PM

yes and jordan even brought it up the last time the lakers played the cats on the pregame show when they interviewed MJ... it was pretty funny!

regardless, its an unprovable point....

:pimp:

imdaman99
04-15-2009, 09:26 PM
The way some of you guys talk about Jordan makes me think that he really is/was overrated. Sure he's the best of all time, but get over him please. For every Kobe jocker, there are a million more Jordan nutriders. And to top that, the person they hate most is Kobe Bryant. See a trend? If you aren't so threatened by Kobe, because lets face it Kobe ain't no MJ, than why bother bringing Kobe down so much? Not every Kobe fan is anti-MJ, as a matter of fact, 90% of them adore MJ. But heaven forbid an MJ lover actually rave about the accomplishments of Kobe.

MJ fans despise Kobe. Why?
Kobe fans for the most part praise MJ to the moon.

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 09:29 PM
:roll:
The way some of you guys talk about Jordan makes me think that he really is/was overrated. Sure he's the best of all time, but get over him please. For every Kobe jocker, there are a million more Jordan nutriders. And to top that, the person they hate most is Kobe Bryant. See a trend? If you aren't so threatened by Kobe, because lets face it Kobe ain't no MJ, than why bother bringing Kobe down so much? Not every Kobe fan is anti-MJ, as a matter of fact, 90% of them adore MJ. But heaven forbid an MJ lover actually rave about the accomplishments of Kobe.

:no:

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 09:32 PM

How old was Jordan in that video? Nuff said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUkuQQxh-pc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dZHv_NLPdc

Just for Alpha Troll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WxHQCZ4geQ

KenneBell
04-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Out of 5, I think 24yo Kobe could take 2 from prime MJ. Ultimately MJ would win but to say it would be uncompetitive is grossly underestimating Kobe IMO.

Bodin
04-15-2009, 09:35 PM
This was never a fair comparison. Kobe gets clowned so much because at 18 he was expected to be the next Michael Jordan. You all have to remember that a lot of us grew up watching arguably the greatest basketball player to ever play the game. To compare Kobe to MJ is not only unfair, it is embarrasing. Kobe is Kobe... that's it. MJ is MJ.

And I can honestly not think of Kobe beating Michael at any age... if they somehow played at the same age.. ie 25 year old Kobe vs 25 year old MJ...

think about it for a minute, 31 year old MJ vs the current Kobe... this shouldn't even be a big debate

Juges8932
04-15-2009, 09:36 PM

I agree with you completely.

KenneBell
04-15-2009, 09:39 PM
think about it for a minute, 31 year old MJ vs the current Kobe... this shouldn't even be a big debate
MJ hadn't played nearly as much Kobe has by the same age. It's kind of hard to compare them by age when you take that into account.

He didn't have the knee surgeries either.

akts
04-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Prime Jordan vs Prime Kobe would be interesting. Both fire on energy opponents give them. yet to me Jordan had that killer instinct in his gene. In that time and era Jordan would dominate from then until current. Kobe would make a game of it.. but Jordan had the swagger and skill. could Kobe elevate himself to and above Jordan? We won't know. as Kobe elevated himself to the top currently.. would he have overshot Jordan knowing that was the status Quo? It's an assumption game unless it actually could have happened.

Yet I have to ask how he would fare with the physical players that dealt hard fouls that are now considered flagrant from the hey days of the league? I think it might be another story. I know he was a mongoose stalking cobras. Yet I would have paid cash to see him play in the era before him. It would have been great!

Abraham Lincoln
04-15-2009, 09:49 PM

Alas, thou must apologize promptly for a severe percentage calculation error in thy post. But one must acknowledge the source, which be none other than a Knickerbockers fan who is also a Kobe Bryant fan. I feel thy pain. It be fine to make errors, as long as they be not intentional. Despite thy horrible reputation among the wise men, thou must learn to eradicate the shadow. Step forward and become the tree, rather than continue on as the dark shadow. In the words of the great Abraham Lincoln, "'Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." One may hope that thou shall soon become a wise man someday. My best wishes in thy quest young lad.

Samurai Swoosh
04-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Stackhouse beat him he was still in college and Scott fing Burrell took him the distance.
Where the **** did you get that from?

BTW, when on earth does beating someone at one on one make them the better basketball player within the actual game of basketball which is 5 on 5, and requires a different skill set to utilize teammates as well.

Jordan's handle is elementary compared to Kobes
:roll:

No, it really isn't.

He'd get embarrassed:oldlol:
Out of all the things to say, Kobe could beat Jordan ... sure. Get emberassed? Are you kidding me? If Gilbert Arenas dropped 60 on Kobe Bryant, before, I don't think it's possible Jordan would get emberassed.

bruceblitz
04-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Alas, thou must apologize promptly for a severe percentage calculation error in thy post. But one must acknowledge the source, which be none other than a Knickerbockers fan who is also a Kobe Bryant fan. I feel thy pain. It be fine to make errors, as long as they be not intentional. Despite thy horrible reputation among the wise men, thou must learn to eradicate the shadow. Step forward and become the tree, rather than continue on as the dark shadow. In the words of the great Abraham Lincoln, "'Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." One may hope that thou shall soon become a wise man someday. My best wishes in thy quest young lad.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :cheers: :hammertime:

Samurai Swoosh
04-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Michael Jordan was virtually flawless as a player post 1988. Even his peers said so ... including, the Magic Man Johnson.

So ... pick a year for Kobe, and a year for Jordan. And what I'm saying is you pick ANY year of Michael Jordan between 1987 and 1993, and you take basically one of Kobe's two absolute best seasons, which are easy to identify (2003 and 2006) ... neither Kobe's 2003 or 2006 season could out due MJ from '87 to '93.

imdaman99
04-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Lol you're too cute. I think I love you man. I am bookmarking your profile page. I will follow you and all your posts from now on :lol

Maybe by 90% I meant more like 3 out of 4. I can't prove that, but than again, no one can prove that MJ would beat Kobe 99 out of 100 times in a 1 on 1 game either, so who really knows :D

imdaman99
04-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Michael Jordan was virtually flawless as a player post 1988. Even his peers said so ... including, the Magic Man Johnson.

So ... pick a year for Kobe, and a year for Jordan. And what I'm saying is you pick ANY year of Michael Jordan between 1987 and 1993, and you take basically one of Kobe's two absolute best seasons, which are easy to identify (2003 and 2006) ... neither Kobe's 2003 or 2006 season could out due MJ from '87 to '93.
Different eras. Yeah it appears that MJ was better at every single thing than Kobe. I'm sure Juanita Jordan was much better than Vanessa Bryant at every single thing as well. But we won't ever really know. And I think all you people prefer it that way. Because in your heads you believe that MJ would beat Kobe in a 1 on 1 game 100 times out of 100. And the Bulls would defeat the Lakers all 5 of the times that the Lakers made the Finals. Amirite or amirite? :D

Abraham Lincoln
04-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Lol you're too cute. I think I love you man. I am bookmarking your profile page. I will follow you and all your posts from now on :lol

Maybe by 90% I meant more like 3 out of 4. I can't prove that, but than again, no one can prove that MJ would beat Kobe 99 out of 100 times in a 1 on 1 game either, so who really knows :D
I stand mistaken, thou is indeed proving worthy of someday evolving into a wise man. The art of deflection be none other than the simplest yet most useful technique. Thou already realizes what the percentage be referring to, which be not the winning probability of the imaginary game the two professional athletes will play. This be a good first step, yet nothing for the wise man. In the words of the great Abraham Lincoln, "Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm." This be the quote all wise men live by. Thou shan't deflect the attention of focus so easily.

Juges8932
04-15-2009, 10:05 PM

Well, you are dedicated to your gimmick, got to give you that haha, :applause:

Samurai Swoosh
04-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Different eras. Yeah it appears that MJ was better at every single thing than Kobe. I'm sure Juanita Jordan was much better than Vanessa Bryant at every single thing as well. But we won't ever really know. And I think all you people prefer it that way. Because in your heads you believe that MJ would beat Kobe in a 1 on 1 game 100 times out of 100. And the Bulls would defeat the Lakers all 5 of the times that the Lakers made the Finals. Amirite or amirite? :D
Kobe's a better 3 point shooter. But that's also because of his willingness to shoot them more than MJ. MJ understood shooting 3's limits the effectiveness of not only his game, but then in turn his teammates. Getting to the basket is always more important. And it was never as if Jordan was a bad 3 point shooter, he was more than capable. He just did it with moderation. So yea, thats about the ONLY aspect to the game of basketball Kobe is superior at ... and just so you know I'm a Kobe fan. Ask any long time member here. It's just the ridiculous Kobe fans around here and the extent they are taking things.

Juges8932
04-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Kobe's a better 3 point shooter. But that's also because of his willingness to shoot them more than MJ. MJ understood shooting 3's limits the effectiveness of not only his game, but then in turn his teammates. Getting to the basket is always more important. And it was never as if Jordan was a bad 3 point shooter, he was more than capable. He just did it with moderation. So yea, thats about the ONLY aspect to the game of basketball Kobe is superior at ... and just so you know I'm a Kobe fan. Ask any long time member here. It's just the ridiculous Kobe fans around here and the extent they are taking things.

Kobe fans might be ridiculous, but if we aren't here, then it's free reign for the Kobe haters to go to work. Yes, a lot of Kobe fans are exaggerate Kobe to an extent, but it's no worse than the Kobe haters. And then there are the constant MJ dickriders that can't, or simply refuse, to accept Kobe's greatness in his own right.

KobeRules24
04-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Wow!!! sorry MJ fans it wasn't my intention that this turned into an MJ vs Kobe debate....well this is ISH :oldlol:

Juges8932
04-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Wow!!! sorry MJ fans it wasn't my intention that this turned into an MJ vs Kobe debate....well this is ISH :oldlol:

You knew what you were donig, haha, :cheers:

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 10:22 PM

You aren't even making sense right now. I thought we were comparing the players abilities? Why compare the seasons they had. Would an 88 Jordan beat an 06 Kobe 1 on 1? That should be the question. Now stop bringing up accolades and talk about thier games in those seasons. Who would have what advantage in what area. To say 88 MJ would dominate 06 Kobe in every facet of the game is just stupid.

Samurai Swoosh
04-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Kobe fans might be ridiculous, but if we aren't here, then it's free reign for the Kobe haters to go to work. Yes, a lot of Kobe fans are exaggerate Kobe to an extent, but it's no worse than the Kobe haters. And then there are the constant MJ dickriders that can't, or simply refuse, to accept Kobe's greatness in his own right.
No one is denying Kobe's greatness, it's obvious. MJ has d1ck riders with good reason, he validated it on the court by clearly being the best player to ever lace them up. Kobe stans take what he has done and over exaggerate them so that he can be mentioned within the same breath as MJ. And in some ridiculous cases made out to be better. It's when Kobe fans take things one step too far that one side incites the other to similar extremes. Kobe's an all-time great, MJ was better. PERIOD.

The Magic Man
04-15-2009, 10:23 PM
No one is denying Kobe's greatness, it's obvious. MJ has d1ck riders with good reason, he validated it on the court by clearly being the best player to ever lace them up. Kobe stans take what he has done and over exaggerate them so that he can be mentioned within the same breath as MJ. And in some ridiculous cases made out to be better. It's when Kobe fans take things one step too far that one side incites the other to similar extremes. Kobe's an all-time great, MJ was better. PERIOD.

Lol. Look... forget it.

Samurai Swoosh
04-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Lol. Look... forget it.
No fan during the course of MJ's career took what little he had done and made it out to be something more. MJ did it himself bye solidifying his legend on his own with actual accomplishments. Did he not?

Juges8932
04-15-2009, 10:27 PM

Oh come on man. You're trying to pull a double-standard and rationalize to yourself that it's ok for Jordan to have dickriders but not for Kobe to? Based off that statement, Jordan is the only who can have fans of that magnitude. And I said that Kobe fans exaggerate Kobe SOMETIMES, but it gets fueled by the Kobe haters who downplay his abilities and achievements.

Samurai Swoosh
04-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Oh come on man. You're trying to pull a double-standard and rationalize to yourself that it's ok for Jordan to have dickriders but not for Kobe to? Based off that statement, Jordan is the only who can have fans of that magnitude. And I said that Kobe fans exaggerate Kobe SOMETIMES, but it gets fueled by the Kobe haters who downplay his abilities and achievements.
You're not getting what I'm saying, maybe I'm not explainging it right.

Does Kobe deserve his fans? Uhh, yes.

Kobe's dickryders over exaggerate his accomplishments and the meanings of them to make them MORE important than they actually end up being. Jordan's dickryders don't have to exaggerate anything. Thats the difference. Jordan dickryders love him, and rub your face in his accomplishments ... annoying? Yes. Loki, who beyond Jordan was a very knowledgable basketball fan and I enjoyed his posts ... was completely annoying with Jordan love. But it wasn't propaganda. It was all cold hard facts. Jordan stans don't beed ti embelish anything to make Jordan sound better. He simply was that good. THAT'S the rub.

It goes both ways really. I used to get sucked into it a few years ago, when the haters would go to extremes and I'd go to great lengths to defend Bryant. But it clearly goes both ways. Kobe / Laker fans, many of whom are beyond reality, go to ridiculous lengths thus bringing in Kobe haters to counteract the majority of the absolutely ridiculous fan base that makes up the Laker and Kobe loving community.

thejumpa
04-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Kobe studied Jordan and trys to imitate Jordan....or atleast that's what I see. EVERYBODY agrees that Jordan is better than Kobe, obviously. It would be a great match up but I can't see Kobe beating the guy at his own game. Once or twice outta 10 times? maybe lol......but I have seen MJ's game and I have seen Kobe's game....not a fair comparison.

And the reason why I think a lot of MJ fans don't like Kobe is because no one likes to see their "heroes" status get challenged by a dude like Kobe...its a bit threatening hahah. Kobe seemed to be on his way to a lot of people too after those rings with the Lakers and then things went wrong so..

Juges8932
04-15-2009, 10:35 PM
You're not getting what I'm saying, maybe I'm not explainging it right.

Does Kobe deserve his fans? Uhh, yes.

Kobe's dickryders over exaggerate his accomplishments and the meanings of them to make them MORE important than they actually end up being. Jordan's dickryders don't have to exaggerate anything. Thats the difference. Jordan dickryders love him, and rub your face in his accomplishments. But they're not embelishing anything to make Jordan sound better. He simply was that good. THAT'S the rub.

It goes both ways really. I used to get sucked into it a few years ago, when the haters would go to extremes and I'd go to great lengths to defend Bryant. But it clearly goes both ways. Kobe / Laker fans, many of whom are beyond reality, go to ridiculous lengths thus bringing in Kobe haters to counteract the majority of the absolutely ridiculous fan base that makes up the Laker and Kobe loving community.

Ok, I agree with that.

Yeah, I try to avoid getting caught up into it, and generally don't on the forums. But sometimes I can't help it, haha.

Samurai Swoosh
04-15-2009, 10:38 PM
The only time I have to smash Kobe propaganda and agenda from the Kobe nut job fans is when they push things one step too far. Comparing Bryant and his accomplisments to say LeBron James is one thing, when they start saying he's better than Jordan. You have to nip it in the bud. Otherwise, I'm pro Kobe.

godofgods
04-16-2009, 04:36 AM
These are some of my questions for the future:

-Will anyone ever match Jordan's 10 scoring titles?

-Will anyone ever score 55 points in the NBA Finals like Jordan did?

- Will anyone ever average 31+ppg on 56% shooting in the NBA finals while dishing out 11.4 dimes per game?

I could keep going on, but you get the point. The "Jordan standard" is too high up for a lot of these players to ever reach. I just don't see anyone ever eclipsing the legacy that is Jordan, ever.

The answers to those questions are "YES". Remember, KG said, "Anything is POSIBULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!". Or something like that.

If David Stern continues to be the commish of the league and there is one player who can come and sell more shoes than Jordan did, then Stern will do his best to make sure this new player's legacy surpass Jordan's. David Stern made Michael Jordan. He can do the same with any other player who makes him good fortune.

Heilige
04-16-2009, 08:39 AM

I remember awhile ago you saying Kobe had better handles than Jordan. Do you not feel that way anymore?