PDA

View Full Version : The James Jordan tragedy. Michael Jordan deals with the death of his dad.

bruceblitz
04-17-2009, 11:55 AM
This was the turning point in Jordan's career. It was an unfortunate tragedy the way that Michael Jordan's dad was killed. Many people wonder why the best basketball player on earth would want to play baseball. Baseball is a sport that takes years and years of repetition to be at the top of your ability. A ton of major leaguers spent quite a bit of time in the minor leagues practicing the game for years. I suspect that if Jordan would have committed the rest of his athletic career to baseball that he would have been a decent major leaguer, he just didn't put enough time and repetition into the sport of baseball. All of that being said, this video posts insight into the way that Jordan dealed with his father's death. I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a9C2figSXo

James Raymond Jordan, Sr. (July 31, 1936 July 23, 1993) was the father of the basketball superstar Michael Jordan and Army Command Sergeant Major James R. Jordan, Jr., and the grandfather of Illinois Illini guard Jeffrey Jordan. A life-long basketball fan, Jordan had played a large role in inspiring his son Michael to become an athlete. Jordan was a businessman and traveled the country to follow Michael's career, first at the University of North Carolina and then with the Chicago Bulls. He was killed in a robbery near Lumberton, North Carolina.

While returning from a funeral eight days before his 57th birthday, Jordan pulled into a rest stop on Interstate 95 to take a nap. Daniel Green (who later changed his name to Lord D.A.A.S. U'Allah) and Larry Martin Demery shot Jordan while he slept in his car and then stole it. His body was found on August 3 in a Bennettsville, South Carolina swamp, but was not positively identified until August 13.

Green and Demery made several calls from Jordan's cell phone and as a result were quickly captured. They had taken other items from the car including two NBA championship rings given to Jordan Sr. by his son. Demery was wearing a Michael Jordan T-shirt at the time of his arrest. Demery claims that they had planned only to tie up their victim and that Green pulled the trigger for no reason. Both were convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment for this and other violent crimes.

James Jordan was buried at Rockfish AME Church in Teachey, North Carolina on August 15, 1993.

Jordan signed a minor league baseball contract with the Chicago White Sox. He reported to spring training and was assigned to the team's minor league system on March 31, 1994. Jordan has stated this decision was made to pursue the dream of his late father, who had always envisioned his son as a major league baseball player. The White Sox were another team owned by Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf, who continued to honor Jordan's basketball contract during the years he played baseball. He had an unspectacular professional baseball career for the Birmingham Barons, a Chicago White Sox farm team, batting .202 with 3 HR, 51 RBI, 30 SB, and 11 errors. He also appeared for the Scottsdale Scorpions in the 1994 Arizona Fall League.

Michael Jordan returned to the NBA after his stint in baseball. In Michael Jordan's first full year back, the Bulls won 72 games. In the playoffs, the Bulls lost only three games in four series, defeating the Seattle SuperSonics in the NBA Finals to win the championship. Jordan was named Finals MVP for a record fourth time, surpassing Magic Johnson's three Finals MVP awards. He also achieved only the second sweep of the MVP Awards in the All-Star Game, regular season and NBA Finals, duplicating Willis Reed's feat during the 1969-70 season. Because this was Jordan's first championship since his father's death, and it was won on Father's Day, Jordan reacted very emotionally upon winning the title, including a memorable scene of him sobbing on the locker room floor with the game ball.

Post your thoughts!

DinoRadja40
04-17-2009, 11:57 AM
My thoughts are that Mike and the community has moved on why rekindle this tragedy?

bruceblitz
04-17-2009, 11:58 AM
My thoughts are that Mike and the community has moved on why rekindle this tragedy?
You have no f'ing respect. Ignored.

LA_Showtime
04-17-2009, 11:59 AM
People have already given their condolences in this situtation. Stop living in the past.

bruceblitz
04-17-2009, 12:00 PM
People have already given their condolences in this situtation. Stop living in the past.
Ignored.

Manute for Ever!
04-17-2009, 12:01 PM

Exactly, and I was, and still am, a huge Jordan fan

StroShow4
04-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Stop living in the past.

I think Bruce and SirCharles need their own seperate forum where they can discuss the 80s and 90s all day long.

Make it happen Jeff.

pete's montreux
04-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Can I be on your ignore list too?

bruceblitz
04-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Here's an idea, if you don't like the topic, don't click on the thread. No respect.

Everyone complaining about this thread didn't
A: watch the video, it's 11 mins long and look at all the comments under 10 minutes of the thread being open.
B: use any type of logic.
C: show respect

If you don't like discussing Jordan's career, it's simple, don't click on Jordan threads. Wow, isn't that deep thinking to come up with that idea?

pete's montreux
04-17-2009, 12:05 PM
I want to talk sh*t behind your back, and giggle about it amongst your ignore list.

bruceblitz
04-17-2009, 12:06 PM
I want to talk sh*t behind your back, and giggle about it amongst your ignore list.
Ignored. No respect. True troll.

pete's montreux
04-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Sweet! How gay is BruceBlitz? Pretty gay!

StroShow4
04-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Here's an idea, if you don't like the topic, don't click on the thread. No respect.

Normally I would agree with you, but you make like 5 MJ threads daily. Is it really necessary?

bruceblitz
04-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Normally I would agree with you, but you make like 5 MJ threads daily. Is it really necessary?
I don't like people who exaggerate. I respect you as a fan, but I do not respect the responses this thread got. I'm sickened.

Manute for Ever!
04-17-2009, 12:08 PM

Everyone complaining about this thread didn't
A: watch the video, it's 11 mins long and look at all the comments under 10 minutes of the thread being open.
B: use any type of logic.
C: show respect

If you don't like discussing Jordan's career, it's simple, don't click on Jordan threads. Wow, isn't that deep thinking to come up with that idea?

This isn't really discussing his career, this talking about his father who was killed 16 years ago.
The way Steve Kerrs father died was an equal, if not greater tradgedy, but nobody brings that up. Just let it go, man.

bruceblitz
04-17-2009, 12:11 PM
This isn't really discussing his career, this talking about his father who was killed 16 years ago.
The way Steve Kerrs father died was an equal, if not greater tradgedy, but nobody brings that up. Just let it go, man.
Do me a favor. Watch the video I linked to this thread. I just posted the video on youtube. I thought it was an epic encapsulation of that portion of Jordan's career. Come back after you are done watching it, and compare that portion of Jordan's career to Steve Kerr again, I dare you. I would love to see how you equate leaving the sport, playing baseball because that's what your dad wanted, and coming back to win a championship ON FATHER'S DAY is equal to anything we've seen in pro sports. Steve Kerr's dad dying was a tragedy, anyone who's lost a family member suffers extreme pain, that being said, this was a huge part of Jordan's career. Now.... I'm getting real frustrated with some of you on this board.....

StroShow4
04-17-2009, 12:13 PM
I don't like people who exaggerate. I respect you as a fan, but I do not respect the responses this thread got. I'm sickened.

How exactly did you expect people to respond?

Anyways, here's an idea: How about starting one Michael Jordan thread and updating it whenever you feel like discussing him? That way you could post about MJ as much as you want 24/7 and no one would be bothered.

rawimpact
04-17-2009, 12:16 PM
woohoo back to the 90s!

Seriously why are we talking about this?

hey op put me on ignore

bruceblitz
04-17-2009, 12:17 PM
How exactly did you expect people to respond?

Anyways, here's an idea: How about starting one Michael Jordan thread and updating it whenever you feel like discussing him? That way you could post about MJ as much as you want 24/7 and no one would be bothered.

I actually like that idea. Maybe I should start a "Bruce Blitz's Michael Jordan thread" or something to that effect. I have so many facts about his career I've never posted on here. Good idea.

bruceblitz
04-17-2009, 12:17 PM
woohoo back to the 90s!

Seriously why are we talking about this?

hey op put me on ignore
ignored

oh the horror
04-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Cracked me up how the shootaround with BJ turned into a competition. Jordan just cant help himself.

And then he comes back, they doubted him, and then the very next year, the bulls win 70+ games and the championship. COME ON!

U got Served
04-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Cracked me up how the shootaround with BJ turned into a competition. Jordan just cant help himself.

And then he comes back, they doubted him, and then the very next year, the bulls win 70+ games and the championship. COME ON!

That's why there will only be 1 MJ

rawimpact
woohoo now everyone that got ignored, lets talk trash on bruce in his own thead.

This ****** is a troll in his own thread. Most of his posts come from articles with little to no opinion/thoughts

bruceblitz

I repped too many people yesterday so I have to wait to give out more rep, I will rep you when my waiting period is over. Great post!

oh the horror
04-17-2009, 12:25 PM
That's why there will only be 1 MJ

I mean seriously, dude comes back in the middle of the season, and then into the playoffs they lose, and everyone doubts. Then the Bulls come back, after a full off season, training camp etc, and they win 72 GAMES....And then THREE MORE championships.

I think his second time around has to be the point where people knew without a doubt he was the best to ever play the game professionally. It wasnt just his game, but his ability to lift his team to greater heights that made him the best.

DinoRadja40
04-17-2009, 12:26 PM
bruce is a joke, let him make the mj thread so it can be ignored lol

bruceblitz
04-17-2009, 12:40 PM
I mean seriously, dude comes back in the middle of the season, and then into the playoffs they lose, and everyone doubts. Then the Bulls come back, after a full off season, training camp etc, and they win 72 GAMES....And then THREE MORE championships.

I think his second time around has to be the point where people knew without a doubt he was the best to ever play the game professionally. It wasnt just his game, but his ability to lift his team to greater heights that made him the best.

He became a baseball player because that's what his dad wanted him to do. Wrestled with emotions of losing his dad. Dude comes back to not only win a championship and lead his team to the all-time NBA record 72 wins, but he caps it off on FATHER'S DAY! That's something you only see in the movies man.

iamgine
04-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Well, James raped his daughter so it's hard to feel bad.

DukeDelonte13
04-17-2009, 12:43 PM
What a relevant thread.... :rolleyes:

bruceblitz
04-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Well, James raped his daughter so it's hard to feel bad.

oh the horror
04-17-2009, 12:49 PM
but he caps it off on FATHER'S DAY! That's something you only see in the movies man.

See, I didnt even know that.

JayGuevara
04-17-2009, 12:51 PM
All of us have seen Space Jam, we're familiar with these events.

gts
04-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Well, James raped his daughter so it's hard to feel bad.more than that it was child abuse of the worse form..if true he deserved that bullet to his head ten fold

GOBB
04-17-2009, 01:16 PM
more than that it was child abuse of the worse form..if true he deserved that bullet to his head ten fold

Disgusted, sickened, with a spoon full of sugar to make it go down. Ignored!

bruce is a joke, let him make the mj thread so it can be ignored lol

I say everyone reply to the thread so they can be Ignored. Soon majority of the site, active posters will be on his Ignored list so he'll talk to himself. For all the love, devotion and dedication he gives MJ. You'd think he start up his own LikeMikeLike2BeLikeMike.com and have a blast enlightening the innanet world. That way we arent so ignorant, misinformed, stupid, trolls anymore. Nor does he have to scream "Hey andglar, agreed???!?".

This is the part in the thread where brucedunce copies and paste the message you get when an Ignored poster replies.

EllEffEll
04-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Like many families, it looks like there was an ugly side to James Jordan's personality that may have manifested itself in his relationship with his daughter, but I'm not going to discuss here.

As for his relationship with Michael, it's nice that Michael wanted to honor his father by playing pro baseball. But the reality of the situation is that Michael was not a pro caliber baseball player. Oh well, he had made enough eff-yew money that he could afford to indulge himself.

Having raised two kids myself that have been into athletics, I have to wonder why Michael actually felt so compelled to leave (arguably) the greatest basketball career ever during his prime to chase his father's dream, that he actually did it. I grew up loving baseball and basketball, but let my own kids try several sports and eventually choose the sports they had the most passion for. Turns out it's not baseball or basketball. I would have loved to have shared those sports with them, but if it's not their dream, I wouldn't want them to feel they should play it to please me.

OTOH, the time away from the NBA probably gave him the resolve and ability to focus on a fantastic comeback like he did.

Just the kind of quirky multi-layered sidestory to a legendary sports career that strengthens my belief that true life is far more strange and interesting than any fiction.

LA_Showtime
04-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Ignored.

Good. You should have made this thread earlier because you suck. Now go watch replays of Jordan on ESPN Classic and never post on ISH again.

Quizno
04-17-2009, 03:59 PM
first off, pete's posts made me laugh.

secondly, i entirely agree with gts. rape of any sort - especially to your own daughter - is absolutely disgusting and the man should never, ever be glorified.

Jasper
04-17-2009, 06:10 PM
blitz it amazes me , you have the time to do all these detailed threads and posts. Do you work ?

Tons of respect for you , but digging up something that is so much a horrorable story in MJ's life , I don't think needs to be revisited.

Best regards

Younggrease
04-17-2009, 06:20 PM
blitz it amazes me , you have the time to do all these detailed threads and posts. Do you work ?

I often wonder the same thing...

I feel like he should give us a back story of what kind of man James Jordan was.... Out of all the people that die a year is this the one we want to single out and view as a tragedy. There is a huge chance he raped his own daughter.

Ending eight years after it first began and five years after losing my virginity to my father, it scares me to think how much longer the abuse would have went on had I not spit out the dreadful truth to my mother during one of our many heated disagreements. Disagreements that were sometimes anything but pleasant and often featured no indication of love between the two of us.

So as she ranted and raved about how no slutty daughter of hers better get pregnant and bring any bastard children into her house. I finally heard myself saying: "If I am so much of a slut, why don't you keep your husband out of my bed?"

When I finally found the courage to let my father's deeds tumble from my lips, I did not know what to expect, but I never in a million years would have guessed that my mother would turn on me. Her words of betrayals did far more damage to me than my father's deeds. They spoke volumes to the fact that she really did not care about me, which my father obviously knew. It is because she was so expressive with her dislike for me that probably made my father know he could get away with violating me.

My father confessed his actions on the same day that I disclosed them to my mother. And on that frightful day of admission, I watched my mother, looking for a sign, any sign that she cared about me.

The memory of my father whispering in my ear during the wee hours of the night about the beauty of my body has played over and over in my head for many years. And as if that has not been incapacitating enough by itself, having to comprehend the fact that more often than not, he had just gotten out of the bed he shared with my mother to find his way to my bedroom has just added to the realization of the painful situation

here is his daughter's take on the family situation...what a tradegy?

crisoner
04-17-2009, 06:36 PM
I don't think people are trying to disrespect in any way when they say why relive the tragedy etc. It's just that...why relive a tragedy????

I'm sure Jordan himself would not like to talk about it. It's a real personal issue. If you had a friend whose loved ones may have past and you have not seen them in a long time...you don't say hey buddy what's up. How's you been doing all this time? Heard your (fill in blank) past. That must of sucked.

That's were they are coming from is all I'm saying.

But sad story...I felt bad for Mike back then. Nobody should have to go through that period.

bleedinpurpleTwo
04-17-2009, 06:40 PM
and thus the slow demise of ISH.

whenever i try to get my friends to join in ISH, they invariably point to threads like this as to why they find this place to be remarkably lame.

...and why the few high-quality posters engage less and less.

rehash crap.