PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between Superstar and All-star?

iLoveNBA
04-19-2009, 01:53 AM
I would like somebody to tell me the difference, I don't think their is an exact definition, but what would your definition be?

L.Kizzle
04-19-2009, 01:54 AM
Superstars
LeBron Jamnes
Dwyane Wade

All-Stars
Caron Butler
Shawn Marion

iLoveNBA
04-19-2009, 01:55 AM
Superstars
LeBron Jamnes
Dwyane Wade

All-Stars
Caron Butler
Shawn Marion
Top 10 or Top 5 players in the league? I know what all-stars are, but I am a little bit confused about the term Superstar.

Samurai Swoosh
04-19-2009, 01:55 AM
All Star is someone who can have a monster year, but isn't a all star year in and year out. Think David West, Mo Williams, etc.

A superstar is a foundation to a franchise. Someone who is consistently dominate and great. Superstar is someone who is a perrenial all-star caliber player.

nbastatus
04-19-2009, 01:56 AM
superstars
kobe
james
wade
cp3

all-star
granger
amare

iLoveNBA
04-19-2009, 01:56 AM
All Star is someone who can have a monster year, but isn't a all star year in and year out. Think David West, Mo Williams, etc.

A superstar is a foundation to a franchise. Someone who is consistently dominate and great. Superstar is someone who is a perrenial all-star caliber player.
So franchise player vs A Great 2nd or 3rd option player?

L.Kizzle
04-19-2009, 01:59 AM

No necessarily, perennial All-Star aren't always, Superstar. Shawn Marion was a perennial All-Star. Dude made 4 All-Star games, but isn't a Superstar.

L.Kizzle
04-19-2009, 02:00 AM
So franchise player vs A Great 2nd or 3rd option player?
Not necessarily. Elton Brand was the Clipper's franchise player for the past couple of years, isn't a Superstar though.

iLoveNBA
04-19-2009, 02:01 AM
Not necessarily. Elton Brand was the Clipper's franchise player for the past couple of years, isn't a Superstar though.
So would these players be superstars or all-stars?

Dirk, Dwight, Yao, Melo, Pierce?

west
04-19-2009, 02:01 AM
Superstars:Wade,LeBron,Kobe
Allstars:Ray Allen,Roy,Melo

Samurai Swoosh
04-19-2009, 02:02 AM
No necessarily, perennial All-Star aren't always, Superstar. Shawn Marion was a perennial All-Star. Dude made 4 All-Star games, but isn't a Superstar.
But like I also said, they have to be individually dominant and their teams foundation. Shawn Marion was never either of those.

L.Kizzle
04-19-2009, 02:04 AM

Dwight and Yao, current superstars. Dirk, was a Superstar, don't know if he's still at that level. Melo and Pierce, nawl.

GiveItToBurrito
04-19-2009, 02:04 AM
That's a decent example, but it's not really an explanation (which is hard to give, since superstar is hard to define). Personally, I consider a superstar someone who can take over a game as a playmaker or a rebounder if they're not scoring, not matter what position they're playing and what their normal averages are, and someone who can always destroy you in the fourth quarter, and who can guard anyone within reason man-to-man with the game on the line. They're also players who can single-handedly win a playoff series or who single-handedly win games, and who just dominate the league. For example, Amare Stoudemire is a star, and even though he puts up monstrous numbers, he's not a superstar because you rarely hear about him elevating his game and living up to the challenge of guarding another superstar or getting the ball in iso-situations in the fourth quarter. At the same time, even though you could say that Tim Duncan is somewhat less impressive as far as statistics, he can take over a game or a season for his team if it's needed, and he's always good in the clutch. You could also make the case that a superstar just has an iconic and larger than life personality, but I don't think that's really the case, since I find Nick Young and Ron Artest absolutely fascinating and hilarious while someone like Timmy D or Yao is generally kind of uncharismatic, even though they're both superstars.

I'm sorry if that's kind of vague, but it's hard to quantify and pretty much any argument is going to have exceptions.

iLoveNBA
04-19-2009, 02:05 AM
Dwight and Yao, current superstars. Dirk, was a Superstar, don't know if he's still at that level. Melo and Pierce, nawl.
So I guess we might share the same opinion. In my opinion, I always thought a Super-star would be a Top 10 player in the league, while an all-star would be a 10-25 players ranked in the league.

arkain
04-19-2009, 02:06 AM
Superstars
LeBron Jamnes
Dwyane Wade

All-Stars
Caron Butler
Shawn Marion

Why didnt this end the thread?

GiveItToBurrito
04-19-2009, 02:07 AM

I'd say that Melo flirted with superstardom, but he never lived up to the hype and disappointed in the clutch too often. He could still be a superstar if he takes over a playoff series, though. Pierce is a great player, but he spent a long time being kind of an afterthought in the league, since Boston was mediocre for so long. I think you could make a case that any team with a superstar on it will be good enough to win at least 35 games, whereas a sub-35 win team could have multiple all-star caliber players (see: Wizards, Washington).

andgar923
04-19-2009, 02:19 AM
A superstar sells more tickets.

Slam13
04-19-2009, 02:32 AM
I'd say that Melo flirted with superstardom, but he never lived up to the hype and disappointed in the clutch too often. He could still be a superstar if he takes over a playoff series, though. Pierce is a great player, but he spent a long time being kind of an afterthought in the league, since Boston was mediocre for so long. I think you could make a case that any team with a superstar on it will be good enough to win at least 35 games, whereas a sub-35 win team could have multiple all-star caliber players (see: Wizards, Washington).
Actually, he's the best clutch player in the league according to 82games.com

L.Kizzle
04-19-2009, 02:35 AM
Too me, there is two level's of All-Stars. You got your Paul Pierce, prime Jermaine O'Neal, Carmelo Anthony types than you got your Caron Butler, Josh Howard types.

raid09
04-19-2009, 03:10 AM
To me, Superstars are the top 5 or so players in the league. They are the names people who aren't familiar with basketball think of when they hear "basketball." They have to have a personality and marketability as well.

LeBron, Kobe, Wade are all superstars. Chris Paul and Dwight are flirting with it. I wouldn't consider Dirk or Pierce superstars. Yao might be just because of his massive fan base.

nbastatus
04-19-2009, 03:13 AM
superstars to me means a player who could take over the game :confusedshrug:

Toizumi
04-19-2009, 08:29 AM
In the last few years players like LeBron, Kobe (post shaq) and Wade have carried their (sometimes subpar) teams into the playoffs (or at least kept their team in playoff contention).. They're superstars that not only put up great numbers but change the whole game.

An all star player like Caron Butler can put up great numbers and is very valuable to his team, but if you put a Kobe/wade/lebron into his situation in washington this year, I could still see the wiz making the playoffs or fighting for the 8th spot. (Healthy) Superstars can keep their (bummy) teams out of the bottom of the standings.

MaxFly
04-19-2009, 09:48 AM

Samurai Swoosh for the win... Couldn't have said it better myself.

Richie2k6
04-19-2009, 10:40 AM
All-stars make the all-star team, superstars do big things in the playoffs.

1~Gibson~1
04-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Top 10 or Top 5 players in the league? I know what all-stars are, but I am a little bit confused about the term Superstar.your superstars are D-Wade, Kobe, LeBron, Yao, Dwight, etc.

while the all stars are Nash, J-Nelson, Caron, Jamison, Josh Smith, type players

1~Gibson~1
04-19-2009, 11:38 AM
superstars to me means a player who could take over the game :confusedshrug:but at the same time Pau can take over a game right? and he's not a superstar.

Thechosen1
04-19-2009, 11:49 AM
A superstar is a player that is able to do whatever he wants whenever he wants consistently and dominantly for a long period of time, and has the intangibles that puts them up there with the greats...in todays league these are the superstars:

1.bron 2.cp. 3.wade 4.kobe.5.TD.6.KG.7.Dwight.
Dirk was going to be 8 but hes fallen off a bit

An all star is a player like amare who can take over games and has the tools to become a GREAT player in historical terms, but is just a really good player every year...someone like carmello is another example. Or a Michael redd

ClutchCityReturns
04-19-2009, 12:31 PM
I'd probably put it like this...

Top 25-30 players in the league on a year to year basis are "All-Stars".

The roughly 6-8 guys who can be the lead player on a championship contender are "superstars".

ruslan
04-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Mo Williams and LeBron James

AirJordan23
04-19-2009, 02:36 PM
A superstar is a perennial all star (think 7+ appearances) and a legit top 10 player in the league who can be relied on taking over games offensively with his passing or scoring and can be relied on making big plays defensively. Ability to lead a team to a championship as the man can also be used to defining superstar.

All stars are more like 2nd or 3rd options who are valuable to the team and their success but not the most valuable. Their play is usually consistent but they either don't put up the monster numbers the superstars do or they don't have their mentality or leadership qualities. Melo is an all star.

Samurai Swoosh
04-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Samurai Swoosh for the win... Couldn't have said it better myself.
MaxFly, what you been up to man?

cotdt
04-19-2009, 08:10 PM
The only superstar in the NBA is Kobe Bryant. He has 1 billion fans.

Biddy77
04-19-2009, 08:14 PM
superstars get calls. all stars get 1 free throw attempt in a playoff game despite driving to the rim repeatedly, and even taking body checks on two dunk attempts.

actually, i'm of the opinion that superstars are top tier players whose popularity transcends the game. generally speaking, if a million 10 year olds wear a guy's jersey and think he can cure cancer by smiling at them, you're talking about a superstar.

the rest of my post was just for kicks. the blazers lost fairly, although i do think Roy should have had 6 more FTA in the game. those wouldn't have helped at all, so... meh. no biggie.

1. attempt.

allball
04-19-2009, 08:47 PM
If you have to ask this question you shouldn't be on this board...

NBASTATMAN
04-19-2009, 08:54 PM
I would like somebody to tell me the difference, I don't think their is an exact definition, but what would your definition be?

A LITTLE BIT OF TALENT AND THE REFS SUPPORT...

NBASTATMAN
04-19-2009, 08:56 PM

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SUPERSTARS AND SAY ALLSTARS IS GETTING CALLS... That is usually the big difference...

NBASTATMAN
04-19-2009, 08:57 PM

Wrong Melo just hasn't had the talent to win a title.. Put Melo on the Lakers and get rid of Kobe and the Lakers still have a good chance of winning a title.. Not as good as having Kobe on that team but a very good chance this year since KG is gone...

NBASTATMAN
04-19-2009, 08:58 PM

they would all be considered superstars if they played on a team that highlighted their skills.. Pierce looked like the best player in the world last playoffs. Mainly because he had a good team around him...