PDA

View Full Version : Most Athletic Big Man in NBA History?

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 03:26 PM
For the purpose of this discussion big man = 6'11 or higher. So neither Charles Barkley or Malone count, because they weren't 6'11, even though they played power forward.

We are talking about OVERALL athleticism. Factors include...Coordination, speed, strength, leaping ability, agility, quickness. The ability to be versatile is important too.

1. Toni Kukoc--6'11 and could play all 5 positions on the court, and play them well. Unbelievable coordination, agility, and quickness for someone that tall. Could leap pretty well when young.

2. Dirk Nowitzki- 7'0 and the NBA 3 point champion. Are you kidding me?

3. Patrick Ewing- 7'0..Just a monster when he was younger, strength, leaping ability were off the charts..decent agility and quickness for a big man, coordinated enough to be a great jump shooter.

I know I have to be forgetting people, and I'm sure they were some very athletic big men who weren't that great at basketball that deserve to be on this list.

west
04-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Shaq was really athletic in his prime and so was Hakeem

chains5000
04-21-2009, 03:28 PM
For the purpose of this discussion big man = 6'11 or higher. So neither Charles Barkley or Malone count, because they weren't 6'11, even though they played power forward.

We are talking about OVERALL athleticism. Factors include...Coordination, speed, strength, leaping ability, agility, quickness. The ability to be versatile is important too.

1. Toni Kukoc--6'11 and could play all 5 positions on the court, and play them well. Unbelievable coordination, agility, and quickness for someone that tall. Could leap pretty well when young.

3. Patrick Ewing- 7'0..Just a monster when he was younger, strength, leaping ability were off the charts..decent agility and quickness for a big man, coordinated enough to be a great jump shooter.

I know I have to be forgetting people, and I'm sure they were some very athletic big men who weren't that great at basketball that deserve to be on this list.
Where are Shaq, Wilt, Robinson, Howard,...?

spursdynasty420
04-21-2009, 03:28 PM
wtf dirk??

Biddy77
04-21-2009, 03:29 PM
can't have this discussion without some mention of

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/nba-history/images/as/nance_295_ADB20.jpg

Juges8932
04-21-2009, 03:30 PM
I laugh at Patrick Ewing and Dirk. Ewing had some decent moves in the post, but his athleticism blew compared to others. Dirk is a very good player, but not athletic. What about Wilt, Kemp, Younger Shaq, Dwight, Antonio McD (Although he might be 6'10 or 6'9, not sure). D-Rob as well.

MMM
Wilt
Russell
Hakeem
Shaq
Garnett
Robinson

Jinxed
Shaq's too one dimensional to be OVERALL athletic.. Imagine Shaq playing tennis...it's just laughable, but I certainly could see Dirk playing tennis.

Don't believe Hakeem was actually 6'11. But he was athletic.

KenneBell
04-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Wilt
Russell
Hakeem
Shaq
Garnett
Robinson
Howard

west
04-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Shaq's too one dimensional to be OVERALL athletic.. Imagine Shaq playing tennis...it's just laughable, but I certainly could see Dirk playing tennis.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

A.M.G.
I'm not sure why you would have to be 6'11+ to be considered a big man.

But if we work under that premise, Dwight is listed at 6'11, and he is more athletic that any of those three were. Probably the most athletic big man in NBA history. But he isn't really 6'11, so the debate continues. Wasn't Wilt really athletic too, like he was a sprinter and ****?

chains5000

I can't see any of them being good jockeys, so what's your point?

JEFFERSON MONEY
04-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Shawn Kemp, Larry Nance, Xavier McDaniel, Shaq, Wilt, Hak

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 03:33 PM
LMFAO at Dwight Howard...

Guys this is overall athleticism...Dwight Howard can't shoot a basketball, neither could Wilt, my 10 year old neighbor who is a girl has more coordination and agility then both of them combined

Don't Be blinded By strength! Coordination is more important for overall athleticism.

Seriously..try and picture Dwight playing tennis, or soccer.. and you'll see how laughable the idea of him being a great overall athlete is... Imagine dwight trying to play Point Guard!! He can't play any other position then center. Neiter could wilt or shaq. No versatility.. they are one dimensional athletes.

chains5000
04-21-2009, 03:35 PM

Guys this is overall athleticism...Dwight Howard can't shoot a basketball, neither could Wilt, my 10 year old neighbor who is a girl has more coordination and agility then both of them combined

Don't Be blinded By strength! Coordination is more important for overall athleticism.
When did shooting have anything to do with athleticism?

Niquesports
04-21-2009, 03:40 PM

I would say this is a terrible list Dirk is not very athletic He's mobile for a big man yes but he's not atletic like a D Howard

Toni could not play all 5 postions he could play the 1,4, or 5 he would get killed on D on all 3.
Young pat maybe not a middle aged pat after Knee problems

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 03:40 PM
When did shooting have anything to do with athleticism?

Because it takes coordination. I guarantee that D.Howard/ Shaq/ Wilt shot more free throws in their careers then my ten year old neighbor, but she shoots them better? Why? Because she is more coordinated then they are.

Niquesports
04-21-2009, 03:42 PM
I laugh at Patrick Ewing and Dirk. Ewing had some decent moves in the post, but his athleticism blew compared to others. Dirk is a very good player, but not athletic. What about Wilt, Kemp, Younger Shaq, Dwight, Antonio McD (Although he might be 6'10 or 6'9, not sure). D-Rob as well.

If anyone saw Pat a GTown or his first few years with the Knicks they would say he was at least as athletic as DRob and Dream.

Juges8932
04-21-2009, 03:43 PM

Seriously..try and picture Dwight playing tennis, or soccer.. and you'll see how laughable the idea of him being a great overall athlete is... Imagine dwight trying to play Point Guard!! He can't play any other position then center. Neiter could wilt or shaq. No versatility.. they are one dimensional athletes.

Lol, are you retarded? When does being able to shoot a basketball and being able to run, jump, lift, body contortions, and coordination compare? That would be basketball fundamentals.

Scoooter
04-21-2009, 03:43 PM

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. It's the NBA. Every single one of them is an elite athlete, at least when compared to most of the world. And they can all shoot a basketball, again, relative to everyone else. Generally, being a unique athlete within the scope of professional sports means being stronger and faster and more agile and being able to jump higher.

Shooting the ball is a skill. Anyone can learn to do it. Paraplegics shoot balls all the time. Are you honestly saying that your 10-year-old neighbor is a better athlete than Dwight Howard? Than Wilt Chamberlain, arguably the freakiest athlete ever? Just by virtue of being more coordinated (which, unless she's some kind of high-speed-Rubik's-cube-prodigy or something, is bull****)?

Anyway, David Robinson, Dwight Howard, Wilt Chamberlain all immediately spring to mind. Shawn Kemp could fly. A young Patrick Ewing could do it all. And shoot the ball.

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Dwight Howard is not in the same universe of athleticism as Dirk.

Seriously. Ok, Dwight is stronger and jumps higher..that's it.

Dirk wins on coordination, agility, quickness, and it's not even close..

Dirk can play small forward, Power forward or center. Dwight can only play center.

Imagine them matched up in other sports...

who would be the better soccer player? Dirk...Tennis? Dirk...etc..Could you see Dwight throwing a curveball? Absolutely not. But I can imagine dirk doing it.

Why? Because he is far more overall athletic than Dwight.

chains5000
04-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Usain Bolt's athleticism is WEAK, he can't hit threes. What a loser, make him give his medals back.

chains5000
04-21-2009, 03:48 PM
And he isn't even 6'11!!!

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
If shooting a basketball is just a skill then why can't Dwight, Shaq or Wilt hit a free throw? It's just a skill right?

Yet with the help of professional coaches, thousands of hours of practice and yet they still can't do it.

My ten year old neighboy Lindsey can do it, and does it better then they do.

Why is this the case? It's because they aren't coordinated. I'm not saying she's a better athlete, i'm saying she is more coordinated.

Juges8932
04-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Dwight stronger, faster, and jumps higher.

Dirk is quicker and has more coordination.

And you're also being extremely biased, because Dwight BLOWS Dirk away in strength and jumping ability. That is not even in the same league. Dirk has a lot more coordination, yes, although, some of the dunks and alley-oops Dwight pulls off can say otherwise.

Throwing a curveball isn't ****ing athleticism, give me a break, it's a SKILL, like shooting a ball is a SKILL. Hitting a tennis ball is a SKILL. Getting to the tennis ball, how long and hard you can throw a curveball, having Ray Allen's shot is a SKILL, not athleticism.

chains5000
04-21-2009, 03:56 PM
http://sammamishreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/shs-girl-basketball-200901.jpg
THAT'S athleticism!

Juges8932
04-21-2009, 03:57 PM
http://sammamishreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/shs-girl-basketball-200901.jpg
THAT'S athleticism!
:cheers:

Richie2k6
04-21-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm just curious as to what athletic ability has to do with shooting a jumpshot.

Co-ordination is simply how to adjust your fingers when shooting, and hand-eye co-ordination. Accuracy and aim. It has nothing to do with physical ability really.

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Dwight stronger, faster, and jumps higher.

Dirk is quicker and has more coordination.

And you're also being extremely biased, because Dwight BLOWS Dirk away in strength and jumping ability. That is not even in the same league. Dirk has a lot more coordination, yes, although, some of the dunks and alley-oops Dwight pulls off can say otherwise.

Throwing a curveball isn't ****ing athleticism, give me a break, it's a SKILL, like shooting a ball is a SKILL. Hitting a tennis ball is a SKILL. Getting to the tennis ball, how long and hard you can throw a curveball, having Ray Allen's shot is a SKILL, not athleticism.

This is my entire point. It's NOT JUST A SKILL. It takes coordination to be able to shoot a basketball, or hit a tennis ball.

If shooting was just a skill, then Dwight Howard should be able to shoot better than my 10 year old neighbor or me. But he can't, no matter how many thousands of hours his shooting coach works with him to shoot free throws he can't do it.

He just doesn't have the coordination...of a 10 year old girl..

If Dwight was bred from birth to be a tennis player, he couldn't do it. He's not mobile or coordinated enough to do it.

Scoooter
04-21-2009, 04:05 PM
If shooting a basketball is just a skill then why can't Dwight, Shaq or Wilt hit a free throw? It's just a skill right?

Yet with the help of professional coaches, thousands of hours of practice and yet they still can't do it.

My ten year old neighboy Lindsey can do it, and does it better then they do.

Why is this the case? It's because they aren't coordinated. I'm not saying she's a better athlete, i'm saying she is more coordinated.
They can hit free-throws. They just don't do it as well as everyone else. (Although, in fairness, Dwight and especially Shaq have some of the ugliest strokes I've ever seen).

Have you ever played basketball? Competitive basketball? There's more to hitting free-throws than coordination, or being able to shoot. If that's all it took, Ray Allen would never miss. Ever. But he does. About 1 or 2 out of every 10, in fact. When Pete Maravich was kid, his dad would make him hit 500 in a row before he could eat dinner. And that sounds like something Pete could probably do. But what was his career percentage? Low 90's? High 80's? A lot of it is psychological. Some of it is fatigue. 30,000 people screaming at you probably doesn't help. At practice, in an empty gym, these guys can knock them down like nobodies business. Even Ben Wallace, who has airballed in competition. Either you're delusional about this neighbor of yours, or she should be signing a letter of intent to UConn, today.

Biddy77
04-21-2009, 04:11 PM
just for fun :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm_2388u5EU

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 04:11 PM
They can hit free-throws. They just don't do it as well as everyone else. (Although, in fairness, Dwight and especially Shaq have some of the ugliest strokes I've ever seen).

Have you ever played basketball? Competitive basketball? There's more to hitting free-throws than coordination, or being able to shoot. If that's all it took, Ray Allen would never miss. Ever. But he does. About 1 or 2 out of every 10, in fact. When Pete Maravich was kid, his dad would make him hit 500 in a row before he could eat dinner. And that sounds like something Pete could probably do. But what was his career percentage? Low 90's? High 80's? A lot of it is psychological. Some of it is fatigue. 30,000 people screaming at you probably doesn't help. At practice, in an empty gym, these guys can knock them down like nobodies business. Even Ben Wallace, who has airballed in competition. Either you're delusional about this neighbor of yours, or she should be signing a letter of intent to UConn, today.

Of course a lot of it is psychological, but like you said..look at their strokes. Or even them dribbling the ball on a fast break. It's pathetic.

have you seen wilt try and shoot a free throw? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITxDdnzpnU8

Now I want you to try and imagine Dwight Howard trying to dribble the ball up the court against a press. He couldn't do it. Dirk can. And it's not just skill, it takes coordination.

KenneBell
04-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Dwight Howard is not in the same universe of athleticism as Dirk.

You hear that?

It's the whole world laughing at you.

:roll:

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 04:18 PM
You hear that?

It's the whole world laughing at you.

People say that Deion Sanders, Jim Thorpe and Bo Jackson were great athletes because they could play multiple sports.

Dirk Nowitzki was really good at handball growing up. Name another sport Dwight Howard could play. If he is so athletic, he should be able play more than one position, in one sport.

If basketball wasn't invented..what kind of athlete would Dwight Howard be? What sport would he play? He couldn't play any that I can think of.

Scoooter
04-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Of course a lot of it is psychological, but like you said..look at their strokes. Or even them dribbling the ball on a fast break. It's pathetic.

have you seen wilt try and shoot a free throw? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITxDdnzpnU8

Now I want you to try and imagine Dwight Howard trying to dribble the ball up the court against a press. He couldn't do it. Dirk can. And it's not just skill, it takes coordination.
Can Dirk jump 40 inches off the ground? Dwight Howard can. Wilt could probably get close.

I see what you are trying to say. I do. You somewhat, vaguely, poorly, retardedly have a point. But, at the end of the day, you're saying that Wilt Chamberlain wasn't athletic. That the ten-year-old girl who lives next-door to you is more athletic (by your standards) than Dwight Howard - a guy who is at the very top of a group (the NBA) of elite athletes.

Wilt Chamberlain wasn't athletic. It's absurd. It would be laughable if you weren't being serious.

gyu
04-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Gotta give some love to my boy Darryl Dawkins when talking about athletic big men:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeqKjXKGrFI

I don't believe anyone has mentioned him yet.

Lakers13
04-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Wilt Chamberlain. The Stilt was the definition of athlete in his prime.

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Or better yet...what if Dirk and Dwight were to go head to head in a sports competition..who do you think would win..

THe sports are Tennis...Soccer...Skiing...golf...cycling..running ....wrestling..swmming.. baseball....water polo..handball...ice skating...etc etc...

who would win in every sport? I'll give Dwight wrestling, but Dirk clobbers him in all the rest.

rezznor
04-21-2009, 04:28 PM
teh answer is Wilt

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Can Dirk jump 40 inches off the ground? Dwight Howard can. Wilt could probably get close.

I see what you are trying to say. I do. You somewhat, vaguely, poorly, retardedly have a point. But, at the end of the day, you're saying that Wilt Chamberlain wasn't athletic. That the ten-year-old girl who lives next-door to you is more athletic (by your standards) than Dwight Howard - a guy who is at the very top of a group (the NBA) of elite athletes.

Wilt Chamberlain wasn't athletic. It's absurd. It would be laughable if you weren't being serious.

I never said my neighbor was more athletic. And I never said Chamberlain wasn't athletic. You are putting words in my mouth. I said wilt and Dwight have very poor coordination.

Scoooter
04-21-2009, 04:31 PM
People say that Deion Sanders, Jim Thorpe and Bo Jackson were great athletes because they could play multiple sports.
No, it was their freakish athleticism that allowed them to play multiple sports. If Bo Jackson wasn't running up outfield walls and catching pop flies, we'd still think he was a freakish athlete because he could run the 40 in a little over 4 seconds and bulldoze linemen whilst maintaining that "...the weight room is for pansies."

Wilt Chamberlain, in addition to being one of the all-time greats in basketball, was a hell of a track and field athlete. At 7'1" and change, he could run the 100m dash in about 10 seconds. Great volleyball player too, enshrined in the International Volleyball Association's Hall of Fame. One of only a handful of athletes in two Halls of Fame. Jim Brown is the only other one I can think of at the moment (football and lacrosse). You know who isn't? Dirk Nowitzski. And your neighbor.

Dirk Nowitzki was really good at handball growing up. Name another sport Dwight Howard could play. If he is so athletic, he should be able play more than one position, in one sport.

If basketball wasn't invented..what kind of athlete would Dwight Howard be? What sport would he play? He couldn't play any that I can think of.
There's no question that basketball is perfect for Dwight Howard. But just because he's uniquely athletic doesn't mean he isn't athletic. As far as other sports he could play? Volleyball springs to mind, a la Chamberlain. Or football - put him in on special teams and have him block field goals. Or boxing. With his size and athleticism he'd make a hell of a heavyweight.

vert48
04-21-2009, 04:34 PM
This discussion starts and ends with Wilt. Everyone else is a distant 2nd.

Scoooter
04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
I never said my neighbor was more athletic. And I never said Chamberlain wasn't athletic. You are putting words in my mouth. I said wilt and Dwight have very poor coordination.
This is your post:

You started a thread about athletic big men, and then "L'ed your F'ing A Off" when Dwight Howard and Wilt Chamberlain were mentioned. You derided their overall ATHLETICISM because, somehow, in your eyes, they aren't as coordinated or agile as your 10-year-old neighbor. So, yeah...

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Let's dispel some rumors.

Wilt wasn't a great volleyball player. He wasn't even a good volleyball player because he couldn't go to the ground and dig....he played in the short lived International Vollyball League..it lasted only 4 years and was CO-ED. Wilt Chamberlain played volleyball with girls. It was more like a glorified work kickball league. He was president of the league and he is enshrined in their hall of fame for his contributions.

It wasn't real volleyball. Not like you see in the Olympics. He's not in that hall of fame. LOL.

But he was great at the high jump and 400m Dash.

Scoooter
04-21-2009, 04:43 PM
That's true. But he was also in Conan. So it evens out.

Dasher
04-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Dwight could easily play any front 7 defensive position in the NFL, as well as the tight end and LT positions. The guy can run faster than Jameer Nelson. He could also play the 4 in the NBA. If Dirk is so much quicker than Dwight, why can't he defend the pick and roll with the proficiency of Dwight.

Showtime
04-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Ralph Sampson, Wilt, D-Rob

lefthook00
04-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Tom Chambers is GOAT.

InspiredLebowski
04-21-2009, 05:02 PM
It's Wilt.

But no love for KG? What about the soon to breakout Stromile?

DuMa
04-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Tyrus Thomas ****s all over this thread

http://getfreshdaily.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54f900c3888330105360b6419970c-800wi

tontoz
04-21-2009, 05:05 PM

I suggest you get acquainted with Websters online dictionary first of all. Athleticism and skill are two different things. Shooting a basketball is a skill. Athletic ability is measured by things like speed, strength, jumping ability and quickness. Whether or not someone can shoot has no relevance to whether or not they are athletic.

Secondly Wilt and Howard are both extremely agile for big men. Wilt competed in track when he was in HS and Howard scored specifically because of his size and athleticism, not his skill.

:oldlol: @ Dirk getting a mention as an athlete. He is the exact opposit of Howard. Dirk scores in spite of his lack of athleticism. He isn't strong or fast. He scores because of his skill.

Showtime
Tyrus Thomas ****s all over this thread
If you think he belongs in this discussion, I want to **** all over you.

Psileas

The hell outta here with Wilt being uncoordinated. Wilt used to be arguably the fastest player in the league in the early 60's (according to his own coach, during practices he used to blow past Al Attles-the Warriors' quickest guard-in baseline to baseline speed tracks), he had a great finger roll that he used even at an advanced age (there are a few clips of him as a Laker spinning his body in the air to use the finger roll, something which requires great coordination) and despite his free throw failures, he was hitting a lot of mid-range shots and couldn't be left alone outside 10 feet. Hell, he used to do a lot of track and field as a high schooler and a collegian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tt13a6b_uA&feature=channel_page

Look at the play at 5:40-5:42, when he finds the time to both deal with the opponent's drive and block another guy. How's that for coordination of a 35 year old 300-pounder?

DuMa
04-21-2009, 05:13 PM
If you think he belongs in this discussion, I want to **** all over you.

LOL the guy doesnt have to be hof worthy. he just has to be a big. and he's gotta be athletic.

amare and tyrus fit this discussion perfectly. theyre 2 of the most freakish athletic bigs i've ever seen.

WillyJakk
04-21-2009, 05:15 PM
That's true. But he was also in Conan. So it evens out.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Showtime
04-21-2009, 05:17 PM
LOL the guy doesnt have to be hof worthy. he just has to be a big. and he's gotta be athletic.

No, not just athletic. One of the most athletic ever for this discussion, not just athletic. And 6'11'', as the OP stated. Ty is not 6'11''.

amare and tyrus fit this discussion perfectly. theyre 2 of the most freakish athletic bigs i've ever seen.
They aren't tall enough to be in this discussion. And there are plenty of bigs as athletic as those two guys. Webber and Kemp were arguably just as athletic as Amare, and TT is nothing special.

iTruWarrior
04-21-2009, 05:20 PM
http://www.mouthpiecesports.com/blogmedia/2009/03/shaquille-oneal.jpg

Xsatyr
04-21-2009, 05:25 PM
I suggest you get acquainted with Websters online dictionary first of all. Athleticism and skill are two different things. Shooting a basketball is a skill. Athletic ability is measured by things like speed, strength, jumping ability and quickness. Whether or not someone can shoot has no relevance to whether or not they are athletic.

Secondly Wilt and Howard are both extremely agile for big men. Wilt competed in track when he was in HS and Howard scored specifically because of his size and athleticism, not his skill.

:oldlol: @ Dirk getting a mention as an athlete. He is the exact opposit of Howard. Dirk scores in spite of his lack of athleticism. He isn't strong or fast. He scores because of his skill.Physical skill is an example of athletic ability, just looked it up in the dictionary. Shooting is a physical skill that involves coordination. I think the question should be the most physically gifted centers and not athlectic though.

KenneBell
04-21-2009, 05:31 PM
You can talk about semantics but when it comes down to it, when people mention athleticism, they mean physical talents(running, jumping, etc).

If you want to include skills then Kobe must be the most athletic player in the league. He's not though.

A.M.G.
04-21-2009, 05:35 PM
This is retarded. Being athletic does not mean you can play multiple sports well. Michael Jordan wasn't a great baseball player, was he? I think we need a definition of "ATHLETICISM" to shut the OP's dumb ass up.

Xsatyr
04-21-2009, 05:36 PM
You can talk about semantics but when it comes down to it, when people mention athleticism, they mean physical talents(running, jumping, etc).

If you want to include skills then Kobe must be the most athletic player in the league. He's not though.
Athleticism is only an example of physical ability such as coordination so I think TC used the wrong word. Dwight is an athletic freak but Hakeem and Shaq are both far more physically gifted than him.

Younggrease
04-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Kareem was more athletic then Dwight too...

VCMVP1551
04-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Factoring in size and based on what I've seen in games and footage I have to go with Shaq.

Check out this dunk!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMX1FGwyr38

Or this one over prime David Robinson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy-0RWbbzd8

Ridiculous footwork, quickness and power
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI85iVU3xkE

Ridiculous speed for his size on fastbreaks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCvTmmj6QUo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL6CYWJcx_I

And that was him at a mere 340-350 pounds. Here you see him at 31 years old and atleast 375 pounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVsWuHblBwU

Now how many 7'1", 375 pound guys will use a crossover successfuly in a game, much less twice in the same season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pqww6GBHcE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Eu2NrAqQr4

A 360 dunk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFjzKLS45Zw

Although I have to say that David Robinson could be considered the most athletic as well.

Look at Robinson's speed and athleticism at 7'0" and 250-275 pounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI85iVU3xkE

First the steal and fastbreak was ridiculous and then the block on Jordan was incredible.

Great coordination
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA5dIFq7CNw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOtIq2PCkjY

Robinson at times was like a 7 foot guard.

Wilt may have been the most athletic but I haven't seen him display more in game athleticism than those 2. I'm not saying he couldn't have, but I haven't seen it.

Niquesports
04-21-2009, 06:31 PM
This is my entire point. It's NOT JUST A SKILL. It takes coordination to be able to shoot a basketball, or hit a tennis ball.

If shooting was just a skill, then Dwight Howard should be able to shoot better than my 10 year old neighbor or me. But he can't, no matter how many thousands of hours his shooting coach works with him to shoot free throws he can't do it.

He just doesn't have the coordination...of a 10 year old girl..

If Dwight was bred from birth to be a tennis player, he couldn't do it. He's not mobile or coordinated enough to do it.

IF Dirk was "BRED" to have some heart he still be looking for the Wizzard of Oz he has less heart than a 10 year old girl

Horatio33
04-21-2009, 07:13 PM
hey chains5000, Bilbao are doing well aren't they?!

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 07:37 PM

Coordination is an athletic ability, being able to dribble a basketball takes coordination..if you don't believe this then you are too dumb to even talk to. Sure it is a skill as well, but it's a skill you can only be good at if you have the requisite coordination. Same thing with shooting. Dwight doesn't have this.

Athleticism includes agility and coordination, coordination being the most universal and important athletic ability there is.

Dwight Howard is so uncoordinated that no matter how many thousands of hours and professional coaching, he still can't shoot a basketball with the good form of a ten year old girl, nor can he dribble as well.

To say agility and coordination aren't huge parts of athleticism would be to say this guy isn't athletic..

check this out..it's just sick..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkawsBwJwpE

tontoz
04-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Physical skill is an example of athletic ability, just looked it up in the dictionary. Shooting is a physical skill that involves coordination. I think the question should be the most physically gifted centers and not athlectic though.

[QUOTE]Main Entry:ath

OnePeat
04-21-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm going with D-Rob. He was a specimen in his early days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKVqpXl3M18

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 08:37 PM
So if a guy can't shoot then he isn't athletic? I guess Bo Jackson wasn't much of an athlete then.

There are plenty of unathletic potbellied people who can't run or jump over the morning paper but that can shoot very well.

when they do the athletic testing at the NBA combine do they test shooting?

No I'm not saying that if a guy can't shoot he's not athletic.

I'm saying if a guy practices all his life to shoot and still can't shoot..then he isn't coordinated.

You see the difference

1)Never practiced to be a good shooter and is not a good shooter- Bo Jackson

2) Practiced thousands of hours with top coaches and still can't shoot- Dwight.

tontoz
04-21-2009, 08:55 PM
No I'm not saying that if a guy can't shoot he's not athletic.

I'm saying if a guy practices all his life to shoot and still can't shoot..then he isn't coordinated.

You see the difference

1)Never practiced to be a good shooter and is not a good shooter- Bo Jackson

2) Practiced thousands of hours with top coaches and still can't shoot- Dwight.

So are you saying that a fat guy who can't run, can't jump but can shoot well is a good athlete?

Shaq has excellent coordination for his size but can't shoot from the line. His inability to make foul shots has no relevance as far as judging his athleticism.

You are so far out in left field the catcher couldn't see you with binoculars.

highwhey
04-21-2009, 08:57 PM
my man hakeem the dream. when's the last time you saw a 7'+ move like iverson?

AirJordan23
04-21-2009, 08:58 PM
The OP is one of the typical morons we have here on ISH, reminds me of that giantgonzolez dude. Welcome to my ignore list. The fact that you didn't mention Wilt who was an athletic freak back then from today's standards shows how much you know about basketball.

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 08:58 PM
So are you saying that a fat guy who can't run, can't jump but can shoot well is a good athlete?

I'm saying he has the requisite coordination to to be able to shoot well. And that he's probably more coordinated than Dwight Howard. Although shooting isn't the only measure of coordination.

But he would probably beat Dwight in athletic events that require coordination..such as table tennis, archery, skiing, shooting, pitching a baseball

tontoz
04-21-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm saying he has the requisite coordination to to be able to shoot well. And that he's probably more coordinated than Dwight Howard. Although shooting isn't the only measure of coordination.

you didn't answer the question.

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 09:05 PM
No..he wouldn't be a good overall athlete.

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 09:07 PM
The OP is one of the typical morons we have here on ISH, reminds me of that giantgonzolez dude. Welcome to my ignore list. The fact that you didn't mention Wilt who was an athletic freak back then from today's standards shows how much you know about basketball.

Yea you are right. I'm a moron. I guess I should hand back in my MENSA card..

And I would have put Wilt up there, I just didn't think he was top 3.

tontoz
04-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Yea you are right. I'm a moron. I guess I should hand back in my MENSA card..

And I would have put Wilt up there, I just didn't think he was top 3.

But you thought Dirk (slow, weak, can't jump) was. OK Mensaboy.

2LeTTeRS
04-21-2009, 09:10 PM

But he would probably beat Dwight in athletic events that require coordination..such as table tennis, archery, skiing, shooting, pitching a baseball

So being able to catch any pass while jumping 40+ inches in the air with one hand, the adjusting your body in the air and slamming the ball doesn't take coordination? You ever tried it. The shit is not easy. Also being able to rotate over to a defender jump in the air and block the shot without colliding with the scorer isn't apiece of cake. These 2 abilities show athleticism a lot more than shooting a free throw, especially when your hands are as big as Shaq's or Dwight's.

Xsatyr
04-21-2009, 09:11 PM
So if a guy can't shoot then he isn't athletic? I guess Bo Jackson wasn't much of an athlete then.

There are plenty of unathletic potbellied people who can't run or jump over the morning paper but that can shoot very well.

when they do the athletic testing at the NBA combine do they test shooting?
You only quoted one meaning, there is more. Nice job

tontoz
04-21-2009, 09:26 PM
You only quoted one meaning, there is more. Nice job

LOL you didn't quote any meanings and you criticize me for quoting one?

feel free to quote the other meanings of athlete. Here is the link.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/athlete

Jinxed
04-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Alright I'll make it simple so you guys can understand. This will be like an athletic playing card.

The 5 main attributes of athletics are

1. Coordination---on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being Olympic Divers or gymnasts, ping pong players, Nba PGs such as Steve Nash would be high on this list as well, so would dancers

2. Agility/quickness- 10 being gymnasts, Floyd Mayweather and then NFL running backs like Barry Sanders just a notch below that..

3. Strength -10 being Strongest man competitors, Olympic power lifters

4. Speed- 10 being Usain Bolt

5. Stamina- 10 being Lance Armstrong

Now..how would Dwight stack up..

1. Coordination-2
2. Agility/quickness -2
3. Strength- 7
4. Speed- 5
5. stamina- 5

Overall= 21/5= 4.2

Dirk Nowitzki
1. Coordination-5
2.Agility/quickness-4
3. Strength-5
4. Speed- 6
5. Stamina-6

Overall= 27/5= 5.4

Xsatyr
04-21-2009, 09:37 PM
LOL you didn't quote any meanings and you criticize me for quoting one?

feel free to quote the other meanings of athlete. Here is the link.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/athlete

of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/athletic

xtn5021
04-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Definately Oliver Miller...

giantgonzolez
04-22-2009, 02:30 AM

Olajuwon is EASILY #1. He's only 6'10", but his highest touch is 2" higher than Shaq even though Shaq has a 9'8" standing reach and 7'7" wingspan and is over 7'1" tall. Olajuwon was 3rd only to Ralph Sampson and Shawn Kemp on a list of like dozens of players somebody posted on here as far as highest touch was concerned(no wonder he's the #1 shotblocker all time even though he's only 6'10" tall). Olajuwon can also beat any center in NBA history in the 100m dash, and probably is at least tied for the quickest center ever. Robinson is as fast and quick, but not as agile as Olajuwon.
Olajuwon also has better balance, reflexes, and court awareness than any center ever. Shaq is a good athlete for 300+ lbs, but is outclassed by guys like Ralph Sampson, Olajuwon, David Robinson, and even Wilt Chamberlain(50" vertical, 500lbs bench press, record high jumper WITHOUT EVEN THE FAUSBURY FLOP TECHNIQUE).

gibbo3000
04-22-2009, 03:12 AM
OK, this is the funniest thread I've ever seen

Lets pretend we're talking about coordination as athleticism, your taking one skill, jump shooting and making it the definition of basketball skill.

You also don't understand that it gets harder to shoot a basketball consistently the stronger you get and the bigger your hands are. Its like holding a soft ball for your 10 year old neighbour, have her shoot that into a ring slightly biger, its hard to do.

Also, lets see your man dirk do some dancing, that would be interesting.

And :oldlol: at dirk being faster and quicker than Dwight!
I would be really shocked if Dirk could run a 14 second hundred, I could see Dwight doing it in under 13 with no trouble at all.

Dirk can barely dunk!!!:roll: And he's 7 foot tall:roll: What an athlete

Dirk is one of the most uncoordinated looking players in the NBA, he can barely move around the court, but he has a knack for shooting jumpshots, wow what an athlete

Step aside Carl Lewis

I wonder who would win a decathalon out of Dirk and Dwight!

Who would win in a fight!!! Watch out dirks got that higher Floyd Mayweather rating!

loot
04-22-2009, 03:13 AM
Alright I'll make it simple so you guys can understand. This will be like an athletic playing card.

The 5 main attributes of athletics are

1. Coordination---on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being Olympic Divers or gymnasts, ping pong players, Nba PGs such as Steve Nash would be high on this list as well, so would dancers

2. Agility/quickness- 10 being gymnasts, Floyd Mayweather and then NFL running backs like Barry Sanders just a notch below that..

3. Strength -10 being Strongest man competitors, Olympic power lifters

4. Speed- 10 being Usain Bolt

5. Stamina- 10 being Lance Armstrong

Now..how would Dwight stack up..

1. Coordination-2
2. Agility/quickness -2
3. Strength- 7
4. Speed- 5
5. stamina- 5

Overall= 21/5= 4.2

Dirk Nowitzki
1. Coordination-5
2.Agility/quickness-4
3. Strength-5
4. Speed- 6
5. Stamina-6

Overall= 27/5= 5.4

What the ****? Are you serious here?

Simple Jack
04-22-2009, 03:24 AM
Wilt Chamberlain Strength and Domination

Blocking

* "When challenged, Wilt could do almost anything he wanted. In 1961 a new star named Walt Bellamy came into the league. Bellamy was 6-foot-10, and was scoring 30 points a game. First time they played against each other, they met at half court. Bellamy said, 'Hello, Mr. Chamberlain. I'm Walter Bellamy.' Chamberlain reached for Bellamy's hand and said, 'Hello, Walter. You won't get a shot off in the first half.' Wilt then blocked Bellamy's first nine shots. At the start of the second half Wilt said to Bellamy, 'Okay, Walter. Now you can play.'" [1]

* Of all his memories of Wilt Chamberlain, the one that stood out for Larry Brown happened long after Chamberlain's professional career had ended. On a summer day in the early 1980s, when Brown was coaching at UCLA, Chamberlain showed up at Pauley Pavilion to take part in one of the high-octane pickup games that the arena constantly attracted. "Magic Johnson used to run the games," Brown recalled Tuesday after hearing that Chamberlain, his friend, had died at 63, "and he called a couple of chintzy fouls and a goaltending on Wilt. "So Wilt said: 'There will be no more layups in this gym,' and he blocked every shot after that. That's the truth, I saw it. He didn't let one [of Johnson's] shots get to the rim." Chamberlain would have been in his mid-40s at the time, and he remained in top physical shape until recently[1].

Dunking

* "What's unfortunate is that most people regard the great leapers as being only the short guys who could dunk," said the 7-1 1/16 Wilt Chamberlain. "My sergeant [vertical leap] was higher than Michael Jordan's. When I went to Kansas, they had a 12-foot basket in the gym, because Dr. Phog Allen was advocating the 12-foot basket. I used to dunk on that basket. It was an effort, but I could do it." [2]

* Wilt Chamberlain claims that his sergeant, during his prime, was "46 to 48 inches, easy." [2]

* "When I was a freshman, I fooled around with shooting free throws this way: For some reason, I thought you had to stay within the top half of that free-throw circle, so I would step back to just inside the top of the circle, take off from behind the line and dunk. They outlawed that, but I wouldn't have done it in a game, anyway. I was a good free throw shooter in college." Actually he was a 62% free throw shooter, which is poor except in comparison to his 51% as a pro. [2]

* Legends abound of the truly great leapers who could touch the top of the board. Almost always the feat involves money-claims that the player could grab a dollar bill off the top of the board, or could pluck off a quarter and leave two dimes and a nickel change ... "I defy anyone to say they took change off the top of the backboard," Chamberlain said. "I could. Someone would put a quarter up and I'd snatch it down. I've heard stories about Jackie Jackson doing it, but I've never seen anyone (but himself) come close." Sonny Hill, a Philadelphia leaping legend of the '60s, backs Wilt, saying, "The only man that's been to the top, that's Wilt. I asked Kareem if he ever did, and he could jump a little bit. He told me, `Sonny, no.'" [2]

Scoring

* In Denver, Nugget Coach Dan Issel said, "As I grew up, Wilt the Stilt was the player. Just the things he was able to do. I guess one year they told him he couldn't make as much money as he wanted because he couldn't pass the ball, so he went out and led the league in assists. "Watching Wilt, you always kind of got the idea he was just playing with people. That he was on cruise control and still 10 times better than anybody else that was playing at that time." [1]

* "I just remember he was dominating, a scoring machine, unstoppable," Walt Frazier, the Knicks' Hall of Famer, said. "The guy looked indestructible. He was such a physical specimen, I never thought something like this would happen to him at 63. "His legacy is comical. When you read about his records, it makes you laugh. He has records that are just remarkable. I don't care if he was 10 feet tall, the things that he did.[3]

* Darrall Imhoff, who as a 6-foot-10 rookie center for the New York Knicks had the misfortune of guarding Chamberlain during his 100-point game in 1962, said, "I spent 12 years in his armpits, and I always carried that 100-point game on my shoulders. "After I got my third foul, I said to one of the officials, Willy Smith, 'Why don't you just give him 100 points and we'll all go home?' Well, we did." Two nights later, at Madison Square Garden, Chamberlain tried to go for the century mark again. But Imhoff held him to 54 points. The fans gave Imhoff a standing ovation. "He was an amazing, strong man," Imhoff said. "I always said the greatest record he ever held wasn't 100 points, but his 55 rebounds against Bill Russell. Those two players changed the whole game of basketball. The game just took an entire step up to the next level." [1]

* Former NBA center and Chicago Bull coach Johnny "Red" Kerr, who played part of one season in Philadelphia with Wilt and against him for six-plus years, said, "He was the NBA. He was the guy on the top. Wilt was the guy you talked about--he and Bill Russell. He was the most dominating center--the best center to ever play in the NBA." [1]

Strength

* Former Celtics guard K.C. Jones remembered his casual run-in with Wilt. "He stopped me dead in my tracks with his arm, hugged me and lifted me off the floor with my feet dangling," Jones said. "It scared the hell out of me. When I went to the free-throw line, my legs were still shaking. Wilt was the strongest guy and best athlete ever to play the game. [Source: Goliath's Wonderful Life, Hoop Magazine; May 1999; Chris Ekstrand]

* Several years after Wilt stopped playing, he toyed with the idea of a comeback. On the day he visited the Knicks' offices in Madison Square Garden, he talked to Red Holzman, then strode out to the elevator. When it opened, two deliverymen were struggling with a dolly piled high with boxes of office supplies, mostly letterheads and envelopes. The load was so heavy, the elevator had stopped maybe four inches below the floor level and now the deliverymen were huffing and puffing, but they couldn't raise the dolly high enough to get it on the floor level. After maybe two minutes of the deliverymen's huffing and puffing, Wilt, his biceps bulging in a tank top, peered down at them and intoned, "Gentlemen, maybe I can help." They stepped back, he stepped into the elevator, grabbed each end of the rope slung under the dolly and without much exertion, quickly lifted the dolly onto the floor level. Looking up in awe, the deliverymen said, "Thank you." Wilt said, "You're welcome." Wilt stepped into the elevator and rode down to the street level as another witness followed the two deliverymen toward the Knick offices and asked, "How much does all this weigh?" They quickly surveyed the stack of big boxes of office supplies. "Close to 600 pounds," one said. [Source: The Good Natured Giant Wasn't Belligerent, Sports of the Times; Oct 13, 1999; Dave Anderson]

Post-NBA life

* In 1982, when he was 45 and Philadelphia 76er owner Harold Katz was hot after him, the Houston Chronicle's George White asked Elvin Hayes if Chamberlain could still play. "Some things about Wilt, you never forgot," Hayes said. "He was such an awesome physical specimen. To go up under Wilt Chamberlain, to be down there and look up at him when he's towering up over you waiting to dunk, was a terrifying picture. To see him poised up there, knowing he was about to sweep down with that big jam . . . that must be the most frightening sight in sports. The ball goes shooting through the net and you better have your body covered up because he could really hurt someone. I was scared. Everyone was scared when he got that look in his eye, that don't-try-to-stop-this look that he got when he really wanted it. . . . "I think Russell realized there was no way he could have stopped Wilt if he had been fully intent on making it a two-man game. No one who ever put on a uniform could have done it. When I played him, I kept this foremost in my mind: Above all, don't make him mad. Don't embarrass him. You wanted to keep him quiet as long as possible." [4]

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar on Chamberlain

* "Chamberlain played the game the same way Russell did, except he scored so much more. But his teams had to get more points from him. He'd score 45 points and his teams would still lose."
* "Wilt had to fight people's dissatisfaction that his teams didn't win. There he was, this great dominating player, and his teams didn't win championships. Well, Wilt wasn't playing for the right team. As an individual, he was in a class by himself, but his teammates--they were OK, but not the supporting cast Russell had."
* "If you want to get Wilt ticked off or bitter, just mention Bill Russell. You will incite him."
o Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, in an 1998 interview with Playboy magazine

This is all I see you post.

3/4 of this **** is either false, or exaggerated. I love Wilt, but he's known for that.

PimpinZaZa
04-22-2009, 06:56 AM

Your argument is ridiculous and no matter how hard you try and justify yourself. I don't know about everyone else, but i kinow i'm sitting here thinking "why does this guy just continue to make a knob of himself post after post?"

Basketball skills like free throw shooting, have nothing to do with athleticism. NOTHING. It is a skill, athleticism comes about from muscle and weight training, agility training etc.... Shooting a jumpshot comes from PRACTICING. If you really wanna know why howard, Shaq, Wilt etc. struggle to shoot free throws, go to your 10 year old neighbours house and try shooting free throws with a baseball, cos in comparisoin to your hands, thats what a basketball is like in their hands. I seriously cannot believe that you think your 10 year old female neighbour is a better shooter than Howard, do u think she would shoot over 50% FG playing in the NBA.

And yeah in their current physical state, Dirk probably could hit a tennis ball bette than howard, but does it really matter, just in case you've forgotten they are NBA players. Dwight Howard has conditioned his body to be a basketball player, look at him, he is carved out of rock, each sport has completely different training and I have no doubt at all that if Dwight had chosen a different sport, football or even baseball, that the difference in training and weight distribution from a young age would have him dominating.

With the first Pick in the 2009 NBA Draft, the Sacramento Kings select Jinxed's 10 year old girl Neighbour

:confusedshrug: is this guy on drugs!!

indiefan23
04-22-2009, 07:06 AM

Young Shaq used to run breaks as the point guard and go coast to coast. Dwight Howard is on the list for his dunks alone. Rodman was an athletic FREAK too. Robinson wasn't like, dazzle you repeatedly athletic, but his body was chiseled out of stone with a laser. That and Dream. I think he could have pulled off a Magic Johnson and played point. He used to slash in the paint. KG has to get on the list too. He was really the first big to really evolve by combining guard/wing player moves into the PF position. I remember watching a game where KG crossed a guy over through his legs and hit a fade away 3 and was like, holy crap, how big is he? Cuz I'd never seen anyone in his position do that before, especially the way he did it.

Oh man, and Chris Webber too. Before he hurt his knee Webber was on his way to being one of the top 3 4's of all time. He could do anything.

indiefan23
04-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Wilt may have been the most athletic but I haven't seen him display more in game athleticism than those 2. I'm not saying he couldn't have, but I haven't seen it.

I really agree. I mean, I got involved in this retarded thread about Wilt/Russel and said that players today were so much more athletic. The guy showed me a clip of Wilt 'sprinting' to get a pass and a lay up. I mean, he did appear to sprint really fast past all the 50's era slow guys in black and white but I've never seen Wilt do anything that resembles Dwight's dunk where he reached back almost horizontally to grab a rebound and smash it in the hoop.

Or that compares to Shaq's array of crazy moves for a 7'1" 350 pound dude. I mean, its great that Wilt can block the first 9 shots of a slow ass uncoordinated rookie. I just don't buy the arguments that Wilt was on par with players today when I watched ESPN classic the other day and he played in a finals where I could count on a hand or two the number of screens set in each quarter. It was not long before Wilt joined the league that people still played with soccer balls. If that doesn't say anything to you I don't know what will.

tontoz
04-22-2009, 07:31 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/athletic

Funny how you don't even give the full quote of your own link.

3. of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina: athletic sports; athletic training.

There is nothing about coordination in there. It takes a lot of hand-eye coordination to play pool but there are old fat women who are good pool players. Are they good athletes?

indiefan23
04-22-2009, 07:48 AM

Handball? Come on.

First: if you're playing NBA ball, chances are that you're a freak of a physicial athlete. There are plenty of super tall 7 footers and amazing athletes, dunkers, everything you can name playing basketball for 30 grand a year 1000's of miles away from their home in nearly every major city in the world. Almost everyone in the NBA has been a star at some level and when you're talking about a successful NBA player, you just don't get there without being really athletic because someone who's really athletic is waiting to take your place and skills can be taught.

Now Dwight Howard? You don't think he could be a good line backer or tight end in football? Or you don't think a 6-11 250 pound guy with coordination and speed would make an AMAZING defensemen in hockey? If Dwight could learn to skate, and I see no reason why he could not, I'm sure he could kill. Or Rugby?

Or what about Vollyball? There is no way a 6'11" guy with a 40 inch vertical and can easily dunk on a 12' rim would be anything short of one of, if not the greatest volleyball player of all time. A net is 8' high meaning as a middle he could put up a perfect block without jumping and as power/middle hit from about 4 feet over the net. Giba, probably the best hitter in the world, is 6'3". Karch Kiraly who's probably best all time is only 6'2".

Dwight as a volleyball player would have crushed everyone in his path. He could cover half the net defensively by himself. Sorry, the v-ball days came back to me. ;0

Psileas
04-22-2009, 08:27 AM
I really agree. I mean, I got involved in this retarded thread about Wilt/Russel and said that players today were so much more athletic. The guy showed me a clip of Wilt 'sprinting' to get a pass and a lay up. I mean, he did appear to sprint really fast past all the 50's era slow guys in black and white but I've never seen Wilt do anything that resembles Dwight's dunk where he reached back almost horizontally to grab a rebound and smash it in the hoop.

No, he didn't "appear" to sprint really fast because of his opponents. Watch him moving alone and he'll still be fast. Or, even better, take a chronometer watch and measure him from the time he gets to the middle of the court to the time he gets to the basket. Then, compare his time to the times of other centers or even players doing the same. You probably won't like the result, but the fact is, chronometers are not era-biased. And yes, I've already done so.
Ye, Wilt didn't do what Howard did. You know, dunk contests didn't exist back then. Neither has any center, after all.

Or that compares to Shaq's array of crazy moves for a 7'1" 350 pound dude. I mean, its great that Wilt can block the first 9 shots of a slow ass uncoordinated rookie.

Ahh, you're talking about Walt Bellamy, who was averaging a double-double up to '73 and who got his first 9 shots blocked by Wilt in their first meeting. Don't blame Wilt that Shaq would only dream of doing something like that. Hell, Shaq probably hasn't even blocked 4 shots in a row by any opposing center, and this includes centers shorter and less athletic and talented than Bellamy.

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Shooting a jumpshot comes from PRACTICING. If you really wanna know why howard, Shaq, Wilt etc. struggle to shoot free throws, go to your 10 year old neighbours house and try shooting free throws with a baseball, cos in comparisoin to your hands, thats what a basketball is like in their hands.

Yet, Yao, Dirk, Ewing and other 7 footers all shoot free throws quite well...despite the ball being small in their hands...hmmm...why is that?

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Handball? Come on.

First: if you're playing NBA ball, chances are that you're a freak of a physicial athlete. There are plenty of super tall 7 footers and amazing athletes, dunkers, everything you can name playing basketball for 30 grand a year 1000's of miles away from their home in nearly every major city in the world. Almost everyone in the NBA has been a star at some level and when you're talking about a successful NBA player, you just don't get there without being really athletic because someone who's really athletic is waiting to take your place and skills can be taught.

You don't get their w/o being really basketball specific athleticism. If basketball wasn't invented, no one would think Shaq was athletic, he'd probably have to get a job as one of those freaks in the circus.

Now Dwight Howard? You don't think he could be a good line backer or tight end in football? Or you don't think a 6-11 250 pound guy with coordination and speed would make an AMAZING defensemen in hockey? If Dwight could learn to skate, and I see no reason why he could not, I'm sure he could kill. Or Rugby?

HAHAHAHHAHA wait wait wait..let me pick myself up off the floor...Dwight Howard..SKATE..bwahahah play hockey....LMAO...C'mon are you ****ing stupid.. Really.... This is like saying if only Gretyzky could learn how to box out he'd be the most dominate center in the NBA...Dwight Howard could never be a great skater..he has pathetic coordination in comparison to any hockey player, he's too damn tall and waaay to slow.

I've heard a lot of dumb things in my life man..but that's up there..near the top..

Get this through your head..Dwight Howard is coordinated for someone who is 6'11...he's not coordinated for an average human being, he's not as coordinated as my 10 year old girl neighbor..and especially not compared to a hockey player...

Rugby...it takes ****ing QUICKNESS to run the ball in rugby, and you also have to get LOW to make a tackle, same with football..you can't be that tall, that slow, and play Rugby, he has such a high center of gravity and his legs are so long he would be a joke to take down...Same thing with being a linebacker in the NFL..too damn tall..do you really see Dwight getting low and tackling a Tiki Barber as he darts all ove the place...LMFAO....

LISTEN STOP DEGRADING OTHER SPORTS...you have to be just as athletic (in your own way) to play hockey, NFL Lineman as you do to play in the NBA..

Or what about Vollyball? There is no way a 6'11" guy with a 40 inch vertical and can easily dunk on a 12' rim would be anything short of one of, if not the greatest volleyball player of all time. A net is 8' high meaning as a middle he could put up a perfect block without jumping and as power/middle hit from about 4 feet over the net. Giba, probably the best hitter in the world, is 6'3". Karch Kiraly who's probably best all time is only 6'2".

Dwight as a volleyball player would have crushed everyone in his path. He could cover half the net defensively by himself. Sorry, the v-ball days came back to me.

Because he would have the exact same problem Wilt had..He could never get done and DIG if he needed to. Nor does he have the coordination or lateral movement. Hit the ball to the left or right of him and he ain't getting it.

tontoz
04-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Yet, Yao, Dirk, Ewing and other 7 footers all shoot free throws quite well...despite the ball being small in their hands...hmmm...why is that?

Because they are skilled shooters. It has nothing to do with being athletic.

There are plenty of unathletic couch potatos who are weak, can't run or jump, but can make free throws because free throw shooting doesn't require athleticism.

tontoz
04-22-2009, 11:24 AM
You don't get their w/o being really basketball specific athleticism. If basketball wasn't invented, no one would think Shaq was athletic, he'd probably have to get a job as one of those freaks in the circus.

Anyone who saw Shaq's dancing performance before the All-Star game would know he is very athletic. Anyone reading your posts knows you are a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

Because he would have the exact same problem Wilt had..He could never get done and DIG if he needed to. Nor does he have the coordination or lateral movement. Hit the ball to the left or right of him and he ain't getting it.

Wilt was very successful in track in field long before he came to the NBA. He was a very accomplished high jumper and shot putter.

32jazz
04-22-2009, 11:25 AM
No, he didn't "appear" to sprint really fast because of his opponents. Watch him moving alone and he'll still be fast. Or, even better, take a chronometer watch and measure him from the time he gets to the middle of the court to the time he gets to the basket. Then, compare his time to the times of other centers or even players doing the same. You probably won't like the result, but the fact is, chronometers are not era-biased. And yes, I've already done so.
Ye, Wilt didn't do what Howard did. You know, dunk contests didn't exist back then. Neither has any center, after all.

Ahh, you're talking about Walt Bellamy, who was averaging a double-double up to '73 and who got his first 9 shots blocked by Wilt in their first meeting. Don't blame Wilt that Shaq would only dream of doing something like that. Hell, Shaq probably hasn't even blocked 4 shots in a row by any opposing center, and this includes centers shorter and less athletic and talented than Bellamy.

I see the ill informed are still at it with there madness about Wilt. I just can't begin to adress some of the nonsense I have heard here.

It is documented( by sports reporters of the time)that Wilt's favorite shot is the fade-a-way bank shot yet people are still peddling the myth that he only dunked over 6'6 White guys & could not shoot.:banghead:

He was as athletic or even more so than David Robinson & had skills which were suppressed/discouraged in a young man who is 7'1 240 ish(As a goof he played Point Guard for the Globetrotters for a season:D )

Wilt takes the rebound & quickly leads the fast break & finishes with a behind the back pass( in 1957 when this was certainly frowned upon). Only a small example of what the man was capable of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJkZEPEMI0A

Dunks were frowned upon & even became illegal(Hs & College) during that era & the attitude towards the dunk was different then & didn't change until Dr J came along. Oscar Robertson still says he sees nothing special about the dunk & says 'it's only two points':confusedshrug: That's the reason you see no flashy 'in game' dunks back then.

Wilt & David Robinson are among the two greatest.

Glo41
04-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Some people here think that athleticism is based just on jumping ability. :banghead: I think Dwight is athletic but it is overrated madly just by how high he jumps.

Young Dirk was waay more athletic then he is now. That being said I don't think he is even in the discussion.

I know the OP wants players 6'11" but I have to mention Lamar Odom. 6'10" and just ****s on any players here mentioned athletically.

Younggrease
04-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Or he could be heavy weight champion or a football player or play some other sport. Shaq is a freak athlete

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Anyone who saw Shaq's dancing performance before the All-Star game would know he is very athletic. Anyone reading your posts knows you are a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

That was awesome btw...

but learn to separate TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

1)Being athletic

2)Being athletic for your size...or to put it better..to do athletic things despite your size.

Were Shaq's dance moves impressive? Yes, But only FOR HIS SIZE. Anyone could do those moves with practice, like literally almost anyone save quadripalegics. Watch any girls HS dance team..they make that stuff look like a joke..you only have to have a bare minimum of athletic talent to do that.

So yea despite Shaq's size he has a bare minimum of athletic talent. Wow. Great argument there dude.

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Or he could be heavy weight champion or a football player or play some other sport. Shaq is a freak athlete

Dude..stop degrading other sports..Shaq would not be a heavyweight champion, he's too plodding, slow and doesn't have the hand speed.

Check out how fast Tyson was..can you imagine Shaq punching that quick? No.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRs5budNvxg&feature=related

There is NO OTHER SPORT Shaq could play. Certainly not football. Saying he could play football is like saying Brett Favre could play center in the NBA if football wasn't invented.

Younggrease
04-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Dude..stop degrading other sports..Shaq would not be a heavyweight champion, he's too plodding, slow and doesn't have the hand speed.

Check out how fast Tyson was..can you imagine Shaq punching that quick? No.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRs5budNvxg&feature=related

There is NO OTHER SPORT Shaq could play. Certainly not football. Saying he could play football is like saying Brett Favre could play center in the NBA if football wasn't invented.

you obviously havent seen young Shaq...If he started boxing or playing football instead of basketball he would have been elite in either one.

And yes he would be a different boxer then Tyson...he is 7 feet tall while Tyson is way under 6 feet...

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 11:47 AM
you obviously havent seen young Shaq...If he started boxing or playing football instead of basketball he would have been elite in either one.

And yes he would be a different boxer then Tyson...he is 7 feet tall while Tyson is way under 6 feet...

No...he wouldn't ..he couldn't play football..he's too big...I don't think you have any idea how athletic even NFL lineman are..Could you really see Shaq reaching down and tackling Tiki Barber as he darts by..are you an idiot?

Do you have any idea how much better an all around athlete a defensive end like Mario Williams is than Shaq?

check the NFL combine stats... Mario Williams 6'7..295 Lbs

40 yard dash..4.6--better than Jerry Rice

Bench Press 225 pounds for 35 Reps

Vertical Leap- 40.5 inches

tontoz
04-22-2009, 11:51 AM
That was awesome btw...

but learn to separate TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

1)Being athletic

2)Being athletic for your size...or to put it better..to do athletic things despite your size.

Were Shaq's dance moves impressive? Yes, But only FOR HIS SIZE. Anyone could do those moves with practice, like literally almost anyone save quadripalegics. Watch any girls HS dance team..they make that stuff look like a joke..you only have to have a bare minimum of athletic talent to do that.

So yea despite Shaq's size he has a bare minimum of athletic talent. Wow. Great argument there dude.

LOL what a dumbass. It takes far more than a bare minimum of athletic ability to be a good dancer. Dancing takes far more athletic ability than shooting free throws.

It doesn't take any strength, agility, jumping ability or speed to shoot free throws.

Younggrease
04-22-2009, 11:53 AM
people acting like size has nothing to do with athletism are retarded

tontoz
04-22-2009, 11:54 AM
No...he wouldn't ..he couldn't play football..he's too big...I don't think you have any idea how athletic even NFL lineman are..Could you really see Shaq reaching down and tackling Tiki Barber as he darts by..are you an idiot?

Do you have any idea how much better an all around athlete a defensive end like Mario Williams is than Shaq?

check the NFL combine stats... Mario Williams 6'7..295 Lbs

40 yard dash..4.6--better than Jerry Rice

Bench Press 225 pounds for 35 Reps

Vertical Leap- 40.5 inches

Do you think Dirk could beat Howard in the 40 yard dash? do you think Dirk can beat Howard in the bench press? Do you think Dirk can jump higher than Howard?

Dasher
04-22-2009, 11:54 AM
people acting like size has nothing to do with athletism are retarded+1

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 11:57 AM
LOL what a dumbass. It takes far more than a bare minimum of athletic ability to be a good dancer. Dancing takes far more athletic ability than shooting free throws.

It doesn't take any strength, agility, jumping ability or speed to shoot free throws.

That wasn't great dancing though..anyone can dance like that. My sister is a 100x better dancer than what Shaq did at the all star game. You have to be athletic to be a great dancer..you don't have to be all that athletic to do what Shaq did..not hard to understand really.

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Do you think Dirk could beat Howard in the 40 yard dash? do you think Dirk can beat Howard in the bench press? Do you think Dirk can jump higher than Howard?

No, be he could beat him in a marathon, he is more agile and more coordinated. He would beat Dwight in more sports than Dwight could beat Dirk at.

I think that's pretty undeniable.

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 12:00 PM
people acting like size has nothing to do with athletism are retarded

..Depends on the sport...being bigger isn't always better. take gymnastics, diving ,cycling, marathon running..etc..sometimes if not the vast majority of the time, being smaller is better.

Younggrease
04-22-2009, 12:02 PM
..Depends on the sport...being bigger isn't always better. take gymnastics, diving ,cycling, marathon running..etc..sometimes if not the vast majority of the time, being smaller is better.

athletism doesnt depend on the sport...it has no bearing unless you using the literal definition which would then just be a play on semantics.

Dasher
04-22-2009, 12:03 PM
No, be he could beat him in a marathon, he is more agile and more coordinated. He would beat Dwight in more sports than Dwight could beat Dirk at.

I think that's pretty undeniable.Dwight would beat him in pretty much every distance excepting the marathon, though I doubt that either of them could finish a marathon. You are really overrating Dirk's coordination.

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 12:09 PM
athletism doesnt depend on the sport...it has no bearing unless you using the literal definition which would then just be a play on semantics.

You said size counts towards athleticism. My argument that large size only helps in a few athletic sports...Being 7 ft only helps you in one. Most sports require around an average height to excel in, and being really tall would only be a hindrance.

tontoz
04-22-2009, 12:12 PM

I think that's pretty undeniable.

How would you even know if Dirk could finish a marathon? You are just making up nonsense.

You just quoted the 40 yard dash, bench press and vertical jump as proof that a football player was a better athlete than Shaq. You can't have it both ways. If the 40 yard dash, bench press and vertical jump are valid measures of athleticism for Shaq vs a football player then they are valid for Dirk vs Howard as well. Howard would crush Dirk in all three easily.

As far as other sports go you are just speculating on what Dirk could do. We know for sure that Howard is stronger, faster and jumps higher than Dirk.

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Dwight would beat him in pretty much every distance excepting the marathon, though I doubt that either of them could finish a marathon. You are really overrating Dirk's coordination.

I'll take Dirk in any event over 800m...

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 12:15 PM
How would you even know if Dirk could finish a marathon? You are just making up nonsense.

You just quoted the 40 yard dash, bench press and vertical jump as proof that a football player was a better athlete than Shaq. You can't have it both ways. If the 40 yard dash, bench press and vertical jump are valid measures of athleticism for Shaq vs a football player then they are valid for Dirk vs Howard as well. Howard would crush Dirk in all three easily.

As far as other sports go you are just speculating on what Dirk could do. We know for sure that Howard is stronger, faster and jumps higher than Dirk.

No, my point was that in addition to obviously being more agile and coordinated than Shaq...Mario Williams is also better than Shaq or Dwight at all the things Shaq and Dwight are good at..Strength, vertical jump...etc...

He is stronger, faster, jumps higher and is more coordinated and agile. More athletic in every single aspect.

Dasher
04-22-2009, 12:16 PM
I'll take Dirk in any event over 800m...I don't. Dwight has crazy stamina, and would open up a huge lead on Dirk from the jump. In a decatholon the only even I would give Dirk is the pole-vault, and that's because he weighs a lot less, and is less dense. This would lead to him having a better chance of not knocking down the bar.

tontoz
04-22-2009, 12:22 PM
No, my point was that in addition to obviously being more agile and coordinated than Shaq...Mario Williams is also better than Shaq or Dwight at all the things Shaq and Dwight are good at..Strength, vertical jump...etc...

He is stronger, faster, jumps higher and is more coordinated and agile. More athletic in every single aspect.

Howard is stronger, faster, jumps higher and is more agile than Dirk. Hence he is the better athlete. Dirk moves in slow motion compared to Howard and gets constantly knocked off balance by slight contact that wouldn't faze Howard.

Shooting and dribbling are the only things Dirk does better than Howard and you don't need athleticism to do that. There are plenty of fat slobs out there who can shoot but get winded climbing two flights of stairs. It doesn't take any strength, speed, jumping ability or agility to shoot.

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Howard is stronger, faster, jumps higher and is more agile than Dirk. Hence he is the better athlete. Dirk moves in slow motion compared to Howard and gets constantly knocked off balance by slight contact that wouldn't faze Howard.

Shooting and dribbling are the only things Dirk does better than Howard and you don't need athleticism to do that. There are plenty of fat slobs out there who can shoot but get winded climbing two flights of stairs. It doesn't take any strength, speed, jumping ability or agility to shoot.

Dwight is not more agile, are you freaking crazy..watch Dirk weave through defenders, dribbling the ball up the court..while dwight runs down like a lumbering oaf.

or Dirk hit fade-aways, running jumpers etc.. Dwight can't even shoot a damn free throw LOL

Dasher
04-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Dwight is not more agile, are you freaking crazy..watch Dirk weave through defenders, dribbling the ball up the court..while dwight runs down like a lumbering oaf.Watch Dwight jump out to defend the pick and roll, switching off to defend guards nimbly moving his feet on the perimeter.

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't. Dwight has crazy stamina, and would open up a huge lead on Dirk from the jump. In a decatholon the only even I would give Dirk is the pole-vault, and that's because he weighs a lot less, and is less dense. This would lead to him having a better chance of not knocking down the bar.

I think it's highly debateable that Dwight beats Dirk in a sprint. I honestly think Dirk wins, but I agree it could be close so I won't argue that.

tontoz
04-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Dwight is not more agile, are you freaking crazy..watch Dirk weave through defenders, dribbling the ball up the court..while dwight runs down like a lumbering oaf.

or Dirk hit fade-aways, running jumpers etc.. Dwight can't even shoot a damn free throw LOL

Again you are talking about shooting as if it is athletic. There are plenty of non-athletic people who can shoot.

Dwight runs the court better than Dirk by a mile. Dirk runs like a guy with sore feet.

Howard averages over 20 ppg in spite of the fact he can't shoot. Why is that?

tontoz
04-22-2009, 12:31 PM
I think it's highly debateable that Dwight beats Dirk in a sprint. I honestly think Dirk wins, but I agree it could be close so I won't argue that.

You are completely ignorant.At the NBA combine Howard tested almost identical to Iggy in the sprint and the lane agility test.

In fact his sprint time beat Devin Harris.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2004&sort2=DESC&draft=15&pos=0&sort=

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Watch Dwight jump out to defend the pick and roll, switching off to defend guards nimbly moving his feet on the perimeter.

Dirk does this too and a million times better than Dwight..ever seen Dirk get switched on to Nash and have to guard him?

Dasher
04-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Dirk does this too and a million times better than Dwight..ever seen Dirk get switched on to Nash and have to guard him?If he did it a million times better the Mavs would have had a better defense. Dirk does not come close to approaching the greatness of Dwight at defending the pick and roll, and switching off and defending wing players. Are you FabCassablancas?

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 12:38 PM
So Dwight's Vertical is really only 30 inches? LOL...wow...

So let's get Dwights actualy stats... 6'9..wt 240..30 inch vertical..benches 185 X 7 times...hell I can do that.. with a 30 inch ..no step vertical...

LMAO...and just compare that to Mario Williams...and you guys said Dwight could play football.

Dasher
04-22-2009, 12:42 PM
From Sports Illustrated

Howard benched 225 pounds 25 times, or what an average NFL lineman might do. He also maxed out the grip strength machine at 90 pounds per square inch with both hands; most Magic players scored in the 50s and 60s. Says Rogowski, "That's like a dog's bite." Howard also possesses unusual athleticism for a man his size. With a running start he has a vertical leap of 37 inches, and he has touched a spot two feet, 6 1/2 inches above the basket. As testament to the amount of time he can linger above the rim, two of the dunks he considered using in the contest this year were a double windmill off two feet ("I could never quite get it down pat," he says) and a windmill from the free throw line ("My legs were dead, or I would have tried it"). He is also surprisingly fast. When Rogowski timed players in a three-quarter court sprint, Howard finished third on the team, in 3.14 seconds, behind only guards Courtney Lee (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/4484) and Mickael Pietrus (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/3714) and a nose ahead of point guard Jameer Nelson (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/3837).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/chris_ballard/04/16/dwight.howard/1.html

tontoz
04-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Dirk does this too and a million times better than Dwight..ever seen Dirk get switched on to Nash and have to guard him?

Who won the DPOY? Who led the league in blocks and rebounds?

Hint: it wasn't Dirk

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 12:45 PM
From Sports Illustrated

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/chris_ballard/04/16/dwight.howard/1.html

That makes more sense.. Obviously Dwight has put on a lot of strength since being drafted out of high school.

Ok fair, I'll take Dwight in a sprint, even though we don't know what Dirk could do.

Still thought..a 30 inch no step vertical is not that impressive...Especially when Mario Williams did 40.5

KeylessEntry
04-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Is someone actually trying to argue that Dirk is more athletic than Dwight?

tontoz
04-22-2009, 12:47 PM
So Dwight's Vertical is really only 30 inches? LOL...wow...

So let's get Dwights actualy stats... 6'9..wt 240..30 inch vertical..benches 185 X 7 times...hell I can do that.. with a 30 inch ..no step vertical...

LMAO...and just compare that to Mario Williams...and you guys said Dwight could play football.

You are really a retard.

First of all you natually look at the no step vert as if it is his max vert. Apparently you are too stupid to realize there are two vertical jump measures. His no step vert was exactly the same as Iggy.

Did you ever watch Howard in the dunk contest? Geez

Also you are too stupid to realize that Howard was tested after his senior year in HS. He has obviously gotten much bigger and stronger since the.

Of course you ignore the fact that Howard tested as fast as guards and small forwards.

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Watch this short vid on the No Step vertical for NFL players

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMY295ezIH0

Now look at this chart for no step vertical for NBA players

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/measurements.php?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&sort=8

Only 3 players in the NBA draft since 2000 have a higher no step vertical then the average skill positioned NFL player.

Chris Long has a higher vertical than Vince Carter...Wow..lmao at Nba players being athletic enough to play in the NFL...

tontoz
04-22-2009, 12:58 PM

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/measurements.php?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&sort=8

Only 3 players in the NBA draft since 2000 have a higher no step vertical then the average skill positioned NFL player.

Chris Long has a higher vertical than Vince Carter...Wow..lmao at Nba players being athletic enough to play in the NFL...

Dirk can barely jump over the morning paper yet somehow he made it into your top 3. Howard dunked on a 12 foot rim in the dunk contest.

32jazz
04-22-2009, 01:02 PM

I've been saying pound for pound(combine numbers) most NFL players would test more explosive,agile,athletic than the average NBA player i a League which is reserved for a unnaturally tall few.

I would take an NFL DB/WR/LB/DE over the average NBA player when it comes down to 'pure' athletic ability/expolsiveess anyday.

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Hey thanks for that link Tontoz..

Really the difference in jumping ability between NFL and NBA players is so fascinating i'm going to start a new thread on it..

tontoz
04-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Hey thanks for that link Tontoz..

Really the difference in jumping ability between NFL and NBA players is so fascinating i'm going to start a new thread on it..

the gap between NBA and NFL players is about the same as the gap between Howard and Dirk.

PimpinZaZa
04-23-2009, 02:38 AM

The only thing I have noticed about every reply you have posted in this thread is that you never answer any of the questions asked of you. Everybody here says you are wrong, yet all you do is repeat the same argument over and over again while not contributing anything other than your own stupid views. Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but how can you expect anybody to take you seriously when you bring no evidence to the table and ending up looking like more of a **** with every post. You seem to "not see" anything written that proves you wrong and come up with ridiculous arguments the whole way through this post. Just go away, your a waste of Time, and if you think Dirk is one of the most athletic big men of all time, then you need to be in therapy cos your losing your mind.

And now you continue to bring up Mario Williams, how tall is he, 6'7 or 6'8. Wasn't the whole point of your thread that any players ander 6'11 don't count, it's like comparing Michael Phelps to Usain Bolt. Different sports require different athletic abilities. If you think that Dirk can run by defenders and screens at will, then maybe go back and have a look at The 2007 1st round playoffs vs GS. If shooting is an athletic ability then by your logic, court vision is too and Luc Longley and Vlade Divac must surely make your top 10 of most athletic big men.

Stop encouraging this Wanker.

jmill
04-23-2009, 02:44 AM
I just like having an excuse to post this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezt5nlOxhj4&feature=PlayList&p=C96C41AD54B0B030&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11).

KeylessEntry
04-23-2009, 03:19 AM
The only thing I have noticed about every reply you have posted in this thread is that you never answer any of the questions asked of you. Everybody here says you are wrong, yet all you do is repeat the same argument over and over again while not contributing anything other than your own stupid views. Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but how can you expect anybody to take you seriously when you bring no evidence to the table and ending up looking like more of a **** with every post. You seem to "not see" anything written that proves you wrong and come up with ridiculous arguments the whole way through this post. Just go away, your a waste of Time, and if you think Dirk is one of the most athletic big men of all time, then you need to be in therapy cos your losing your mind.

And now you continue to bring up Mario Williams, how tall is he, 6'7 or 6'8. Wasn't the whole point of your thread that any players ander 6'11 don't count, it's like comparing Michael Phelps to Usain Bolt. Different sports require different athletic abilities. If you think that Dirk can run by defenders and screens at will, then maybe go back and have a look at The 2007 1st round playoffs vs GS. If shooting is an athletic ability then by your logic, court vision is too and Luc Longley and Vlade Divac must surely make your top 10 of most athletic big men.

Stop encouraging this Wanker.

You need to post more often :applause:

step_back
04-23-2009, 05:25 AM
not sure if he has been mentioned yet but Ralph Sampson pre injurys was a rediculous athlete!