PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Jump Nfl vs NBA and Nba stars true Vertical and Height

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Watch this short vid on the No Step vertical for NFL players

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMY295ezIH0

Now look at this chart for no step vertical for NBA players

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/measurements.php?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&sort=8

Only 2 players in the NBA draft since 2000 have a higher no step vertical then the average skill positioned NFL player.

Chris Long..Defensive lineman..has a higher Vertical then Vince Carter.

That site also has the true height of NBA players measured w/o shoes.

phoenix18
04-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Watch this short vid on the No Step vertical for NFL players

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMY295ezIH0

Now look at this chart for no step vertical for NBA players

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/measurements.php?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&sort=8

Only 2 players in the NBA draft since 2000 have a higher no step vertical then the average skill positioned NFL player.

Chris Long..Defensive lineman..has a higher Vertical then Vince Carter.

That site also has the true height of NBA players measured w/o shoes.

Vince carter vert is not 34.5 inches at all, seriously. There is no way a WHITE defensive end can out jump the greatest dunker ever.

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Btw..maybe the most impressive NFL combine ever was done by Brock Lesnar..UFC Champ..

Ran a 4.6 40 yard dash..which is faster than Jerry Rice and Most running backs

Benched 225 pounds 42 times...one off the NFL record of 43

and had a Vertical jump of 36.5 inches...higher than Vince Carter

tontoz
04-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Vince carter vert is not 34.5 inches at all, seriously. There is no way a WHITE defensive end can out jump the greatest dunker ever.

No step vert and max vert are two different things. Vince's max vert is obviously over 40" if he can step into it.

If you have ever seen NFL players do squats and leg presses you would understand why their verticals are so high.

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 01:26 PM

LOL...it just goes to show how much more athletic NFL players are than NBA players...when you think about it though, it does make sense. THink about how strong Chris Long's legs are versus Vince...

Fatal9
04-22-2009, 01:28 PM
:oldlol: at NFL players being more athletic when around 50-60% of them could qualify as being overweight or obese.

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Vince Carter's no step vertical is 36 inches...his max vertical (running start) is 43 inches.

darabzarrabi
04-22-2009, 01:31 PM
:oldlol: at NFL players being more athletic when around 50-60% of them could qualify as being overweight or obese.

hyperbole much? the fact that linemen have those kind of verticals is very impressive and is for sure because of the olympic lifts they do

Fatal9
04-22-2009, 01:34 PM
hyperbole much? the fact that linemen have those kind of verticals is very impressive and is for sure because of the olympic lifts they do
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-03-01-nfl-players-obese_x.htm
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2313476

2LeTTeRS
04-22-2009, 01:49 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-03-01-nfl-players-obese_x.htm
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2313476

Did you actually read the article

The NFL disputes these findings. And some fitness and medical experts say the study is flawed because it only uses body mass index (BMI), a height and weight ratio that does not consider muscle vs. fat.

The study of 2,168 NFL players, ages 21 to 44, by researchers at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill adds to mounting evidence that some football players are paying a steep price in health and longevity.

Researchers analyzed the players' BMI in a study that appears in today's Journal of the American Medical Association. The findings include:

56% of players qualify as obese, roughly 30 or more pounds over a healthy weight.

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 01:49 PM
You do realize the BMI is complete BS, as it doesn't take into account muscle mass versus fat.

"The National Institutes of Health's obesity guidelines say that very muscular people may have a BMI placing them in an overweight category when they are not actually fat."

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Lebron James would have a BMI of 28.9 making him overweight and nearly obese.

2LeTTeRS
04-22-2009, 01:55 PM
I also seriously doubt NBAers prep for the combine 1/2 as much as NFL players. As a whole in the NBA, the combine has a much smaller impact on where their drafted. Some of the best testing athletes (i.e. Luke Jackson, Joe Alexander, Joey Graham) look absolutely average on the court while elite athletes like Monta Ellis, Dwyane Wade, Andre Iguodala and Vince Carter test out as average.

Fatal9
04-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Let's not dismiss the whole study because a few running backs are listed on there. The vast majority of those are clearly lineman. Considering 28% of players who are considered obese under this study die before 50, I'd say it is pretty damn accurate.

All the players and media trying to raise awareness about obesity being rampant in the NFL is just BS right? :rolleyes:

By the way over 30 is obese, so Lebron would not be part of that 56%.

Floppy
04-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Using BMI for that study is still retarded. :hammerhead:

ManlyStanley69
04-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Let me make a few things clear as a personal trainer:

1. NFL players do have better verticals than NBA players. The reason is because they train properly to gain inches on their vertical. NFL players have great core and shoulder strength which helps in a vertical leap, but mainly they lift a lot more legs than NBA players do which is much more useful in gaining in vertical than plyometrics or dunking

2. NFL players have more than likely been on advanced workout programs for years while most NBA prospects don't even have a real workout regimen until college.

3.A decent percentage nba players jump off of one foot primarily.

4. I have never trained any NBA players yet.

KWALI
04-22-2009, 02:35 PM
U can't gage effort so all these things are circumstantial at best. In particular when you talk about combines which are much more important to Football players than Basketball players

lefthook00
04-22-2009, 04:01 PM
When you're forced to back squat, front squat, hack squat, jump squat, box squat, squat with chains, leg press, power clean, hang clean, clean n jerk, lunges, step ups, deadlift, stiff legged deadlift, & rack deadlift SINCE YOU WERE A CHILD, you're fast twitch muscle/tendon strength/explosiveness is going to be off the charts. You're going to be way stronger, way faster, way bigger.

Fact is, NFL players are str8 up WAY MORE SAVAGE than NBA players. NBA players are fairys compared to NFL players. This is not a diss on NBA players, it just comes down to what each sport requires.

NBASTATMAN
04-22-2009, 04:01 PM

Yea Vince was 6ft 6 and his head was always around the rim.. That alone would be a 42 inch vertical...

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Yea Vince was 6ft 6 and his head was always around the rim.. That alone would be a 42 inch vertical...

He has a running start vertical of 43...his no step vertical is 36...Really not that hard to understand.

restoman45
04-22-2009, 04:32 PM
He has a running start vertical of 43...his no step vertical is 36...Really not that hard to understand.

lol...dont forget...common sense is not that common haha...you can post something 100 times and someone keeps on posting the same thing over and over lol...:hammerhead:

el gringos
04-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Do we keep forgetting that these are completly different sized people?

if you took only the basketball players between 5-8 and 6-2 or 3 than I'm thinking the athletic test results would be very similar to nfl skill position players

I think its partly the way they are trained like many here have said, but mostly just remember that a 6-6 guy looks small on an nba court but a 6-6 guy is basically only smaller than an offensive tackle or 2 on each team and looks very very tall compared to the average nfl player

lefthook00
04-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Do we keep forgetting that these are completly different sized people?

if you took only the basketball players between 5-8 and 6-2 or 3 than I'm thinking the athletic test results would be very similar to nfl skill position players

Besides strength, true. By the way, a 6-6+ person jumping 30+ inches in the air is insane.

CoryThaGr8
04-22-2009, 06:16 PM
nfl players put in alot more work in the weight room the nba ers

JEFFERSON MONEY
04-22-2009, 07:31 PM
When you're forced to back squat, front squat, hack squat, jump squat, box squat, squat with chains, leg press, power clean, hang clean, clean n jerk, lunges, step ups, deadlift, stiff legged deadlift, & rack deadlift SINCE YOU WERE A CHILD, you're fast twitch muscle/tendon strength/explosiveness is going to be off the charts. You're going to be way stronger, way faster, way bigger.

Fact is, NFL players are str8 up WAY MORE SAVAGE than NBA players. NBA players are fairys compared to NFL players. This is not a diss on NBA players, it just comes down to what each sport requires.

Egzzzzzaccctly. Thsi man knows wut's up.

You forgot sprinting with parachutes though. This is just how it is. The training makes them who they are, but the majority of their vert comes from isometric leg strength, cores, and shoulers.

Basketball players like Shawn Marion and Shawn Kemp though can jump "at will" and have superior "plyometrix" type jumps. They can generate force with the proper technique, and dunk basketballs.

NFL guys are just Pure. Raw. F*cking. Power. But yes they do have a couple inches. Still dunking, running, sliding and transitioning into basketball movement may be difficult for them.

el_locoteee
04-22-2009, 07:47 PM
I pretty sure that the no step vertical of a NFL player and a running start vertical is about the same. In the other hand NBA players no step and running start vertical are widely different. Because they train to jump while taking 2 step (or more steps like Lebron).

But here is the difference, and NBA player is tall and usually have pretty long arms that allow then to reach so high is ridiculous. Plus they are trained to jump again and again while running up and down the floor like crazy without getting tired.

Mdog1
04-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Thing about this is that NFL players are on the feild for halfish of the game where as NBa players would be on the court for 35+. Therefore they would be trained differently. A football player is built for power and built for short stints of PT where as basketball players are built for endurance and doing the smae motion over and over. Basketball is unlike any other sport really. Basketball can be considered an endurance sport and a power sport where as football is simply power. A player needs to have the stamina to do the same thing for 30 minutes a night, but a football player only needs to be able to do the same motion for maybe 5 minutes at a time. Basketball there is less breaks in play then in football which has one after every play.

Basketball is a harder sport to play then football because you need to be in good shape powerfully and endurance wise.

Godfather
04-22-2009, 08:17 PM
NFL defensive backs and wide receivers are the greatest athletes in the world.

PK3434
04-22-2009, 09:23 PM
NFL defensive backs and wide receivers are the greatest athletes in the world.

true but most of them are former basketball players who couldnt shoot.

2LeTTeRS
04-22-2009, 09:31 PM
true but most of them are former basketball players who couldnt shoot.

That or they didn't grow enough to be an NBA shooting guard.

dnyk1337
04-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Yes, they might have raw power, but the reason they can't play in the NBA is because they don't have all-around athleticism. That means they have to have awareness, along with body control and many other factors that make NBA players superior.

Godfather
04-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Yes, they might have raw power, but the reason they can't play in the NBA is because they don't have all-around athleticism. That means they have to have awareness, along with body control and many other factors that make NBA players superior.

Not really.

It is because they don't have the basketball skill.

In the NBA you could argue it goes

Skill

Athleticism

In the NFL:
Skill/Athleticism

imlmf
04-22-2009, 10:33 PM
speedy claxton is under 6 feet but has a max vert of 42.5 ?

Jinxed
04-22-2009, 10:40 PM

Right....because Randy Moss doesn't have good body control, you have seen him play basketball right?

Or how about Donovan Mcnaab, played in the NCAA championship game...in BASKETBALL. He was on the Syracuse team that lost to Kentucky in 96' finals. Doesn't have good body control...LOL...

If anything skill position players in the NFL, running backs and wide recievers, corner backs, have far far superior body control than those awkwardly tall giants in the NBA.

thejumpa
04-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Moss,McNabb, and TO (among others, were really good college basketball players.....there is no way they could play in the league. Not because they don't have all around athleticism(a lot of NFL players do)...but because they simply aren't good enough.

I like basketball more but.....I'm definitely way more impressed with the athleticism and genetics associated with football though.

Geandily
04-23-2009, 02:28 AM
This is the dumbest discussion I have read on these forums (hyperbole)

NBA players would be snapped in half if they tried to play in the NFL.

NFL players would be exhausted by the second quarter if they tried to play in the NBA.

Different athletes trained for different sports there is no better or worse, jesus christ was that so hard? WOW this is a dumb thread

TheAnchorman
04-23-2009, 02:32 AM
This is the dumbest discussion I have read on these forums (hyperbole)

NBA players would be snapped in half if they tried to play in the NFL.

NFL players would be exhausted by the second quarter if they tried to play in the NBA.

Different athletes trained for different sports there is no better or worse, jesus christ was that so hard? WOW this is a dumb thread
Unless you're Lebron James? :D

Juges8932
04-23-2009, 02:34 AM

http://meow.catsplz.com/cats/pictures/234/I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Mdog1
04-23-2009, 06:32 PM
LOL true, and he would be the tallest guy on the feild most of the time if not all of it. Plus if he was a football player I am sure that he would have been more genetically prepared for football instead of basketball (e.g how his muscles would have adapted).

lefthook00
04-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Thing about this is that NFL players are on the feild for halfish of the game where as NBa players would be on the court for 35+. Therefore they would be trained differently. A football player is built for power and built for short stints of PT where as basketball players are built for endurance and doing the smae motion over and over. Basketball is unlike any other sport really. Basketball can be considered an endurance sport and a power sport where as football is simply power. A player needs to have the stamina to do the same thing for 30 minutes a night, but a football player only needs to be able to do the same motion for maybe 5 minutes at a time. Basketball there is less breaks in play then in football which has one after every play.

Basketball is a harder sport to play then football because you need to be in good shape powerfully and endurance wise.

Good points, but football players are on the field less b/c they physically cannot stay on the field longer, not b/c its easier and they like taking breaks. The only reason basketball players are on the floor longer is b/c the sport is physically less intense.

A game of full-court basketball is hard as F*CK, but I GUARANTEE you will be more tired after a game of football than a game of basketball, even with the breaks. Wonder why a WORLD CLASS OLYMPIC wrestling match is only 5-6 minutes long? B/c of the physical intensity. It's definitely not b/c they are worse athletes.

lefthook00
04-23-2009, 07:39 PM
You forgot sprinting with parachutes though. This is just how it is. The training makes them who they are, but the majority of their vert comes from isometric leg strength, cores, and shoulers.

Yeah mane, those are torture, I've gotten the worst cramps of my life with parachutes. Oh yeah, I also forgot running while dragging a sleigh with weights on it.

Unreal Skill
04-24-2009, 11:30 AM
How do Rudy Fernandez expect to win the slam dunk contest with 26 in vert and 35 in max vert...

I'm shocked how weak his no step vert is. Only 26 in...damn

Jinxed
04-24-2009, 11:50 AM
How do Rudy Fernandez expect to win the slam dunk contest with 26 in vert and 35 in max vert...

I'm shocked how weak his no step vert is. Only 26 in...damn

You need strong legs to do a no step vertical. Rudy has tiny legs, but great plyometrics, that is why his 35.5 max vert isn't too shabby. .it's the same as Dwight Howards.

Andre Iguodala's max vert is only 34.5 and he did well in the slam dunk..

Dwayne Wade's is 35 and so is Amar'e Stoudemire's.

what I think is more surprising is that he has one of the top ten fastest lane agility drills ever.. I wonder how that is measured.

32jazz
04-24-2009, 12:04 PM

All around athleticism? No it's because most of them don't have the HEIGHT/skill.
The average NBA player is 6'7 & I have rarely seen 6'6 /6'7 DB's/RB/ in the NFL.

NFL DB's/Wr's/Rb's/LB's & even some defensive ends like Jevon Kearse would run circles around gangly/awkward(not all of them)NBA players.

Champ Bailey/Terrell Owens/ Cromarte(Chargers) would run circles around any NBA player in any test of speed,strength,explosiveness,leaping ability,agility,etc..... & it wouldn't be that close.

Height is the only physical advantage an NBA player has(& his skills).

Revelation
04-24-2009, 12:36 PM
This whole thread is stupid because NBA and NFL players are completely different types of athletes. First of all, NBA players are much taller than your average NFL player -- this alone makes the whole argument invalid. You should also take into consideration the fact that NBA players need the endurance to run up and down the court for 40+ minutes. Second, the No-Step vertical is very favorable to NFL players because they are weight lifters. NBA players generally jump after taking at least 2 steps.

To say that NFL players like Owens, Bailey, or Moss, would run circles around NBA players such as LeBron James, Vince Carter, or Nate Robinson is absolutely ludicrous.

lefthook00
04-24-2009, 12:59 PM
You need strong legs to do a no step vertical. Rudy has tiny legs, but great plyometrics, that is why his 35.5 max vert isn't too shabby. .it's the same as Dwight Howards.

Andre Iguodala's max vert is only 34.5 and he did well in the slam dunk..

Dwayne Wade's is 35 and so is Amar'e Stoudemire's.

what I think is more surprising is that he has one of the top ten fastest lane agility drills ever.. I wonder how that is measured.

This can't be true...Rudy I believe but Dwight, Igoudala, and Amare having 35" max verts? Come on...

phoenix18
04-24-2009, 01:01 PM
thats what I am saying.

biisak
04-24-2009, 01:12 PM
NBA doping rules are a complete joke but they

32jazz
04-24-2009, 01:14 PM
The only tangible athletice advatage that most NBA players would have over the average NFL player is 'perhaps' stamina, but no one can dispute that if they were to competitively test these guys in all around speed,strength,explosiveness, agility,etc.....that NFL players would come out on top of their gangly NBA counterparts.

PP34Deuce
04-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Fastest players in the league.....(NBA)

Claxton,AI,Paul,Parker,Rondo,Barbosa,Lebron

Put them against one guy Reggie Bush....

Reggie bush would run circles over them all, while being quicker and more explosive.

What Im saying is the NBA has more all around athletes but the NFL has the true physically freakish athletes (Peppers,MariO Williams, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush)