PDA

View Full Version : Official offseason thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Kebab Stall
07-05-2009, 05:22 AM
Yeah but would you trust a rook to carry a team while playing around 10 min a game backing up Mayo?

If we stick Carroll to PF, or not play him at all, then Young could probably play 20 min. But right now I'd still take Warrick over Carroll at backup PF.
I doubt we'll see Young, Carroll, Arthur and Thabeet on the floor at the same time, there's just not enough fire power. You'd have to have Mayo, Rudy or Warrick in there to help carry the scoring load with Young.

BigSims2108
07-05-2009, 10:50 AM
I doubt we'll see Young, Carroll, Arthur and Thabeet on the floor at the same time, there's just not enough fire power. You'd have to have Mayo, Rudy or Warrick in there to help carry the scoring load with Young.

You see? This is one of the reasons that Jaric and Buckner have to go. There's no room for them.

Kebab Stall
07-05-2009, 10:57 AM
You see? This is one of the reasons that Jaric and Buckner have to go. There's no room for them.
Neither of them bring anything to the team. They don't bring anything offensively, they're not great defensively, they don't bring any veteran leadership. They need to go, but then again, they're useless on their own, they need to be paired with someone if we want to trade them. Someone like Hak along with a 2nd round pick or something. Because no team is going to take either of those guys in deal, unless there is something much more appetizing.

gasolina
07-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Carry a team? That makes no sense. We wouldn't ask him to carry the team.

No, I meant carry the bench's scoring load.

As KS stated, a frontcourt of Thabeet, Arthur, Carroll would be painful to watch offensively. Replace Arthur with Warrick then you can pair him with Young to give the grizz some scoring.

jailer
07-05-2009, 08:31 PM
No, I meant carry the bench's scoring load.

As KS stated, a frontcourt of Thabeet, Arthur, Carroll would be painful to watch offensively. Replace Arthur with Warrick then you can pair him with Young to give the grizz some scoring.

I think the way the bench is shaping up they are goint to be a defensive unit:confusedshrug:

Kebab Stall
07-06-2009, 04:00 AM
Yeah, we definitly seem to have the offensive power on the starting lineup and a very defensive minded second unit.

I'm interested to see what happens with Arthur, Warrick and Carroll. With Randolph starting and eating up a large amount of minutes, there won't be much left for those guys.

brandonislegend
07-06-2009, 04:52 AM
Yeah, we definitly seem to have the offensive power on the starting lineup and a very defensive minded second unit.

I'm interested to see what happens with Arthur, Warrick and Carroll. With Randolph starting and eating up a large amount of minutes, there won't be much left for those guys.

your new GIF is :bowdown:

berraco
07-06-2009, 08:22 AM
your new GIF is :bowdown:

:roll:

jailer
07-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Maybe randolph wont start :oldlol:

FIXED
07-06-2009, 03:45 PM

Maybe Randolph will be playing limited minutes. IDK lets see how Randolph plays along side Mayo, Gay, and Gasol. Randolph played very well last year against the Clippers even though they sucked worst then we did.

BigSims2108
07-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Maybe Randolph will be playing limited minutes. IDK lets see how Randolph plays along side Mayo, Gay, and Gasol. Randolph played very well last year against the Clippers even though they sucked worst then we did.

I'll I know i that Randolph is 6-9 and weighs 260. He needs to loose like 10-20 pounds to have more of an explosive offense and maybe developing passable defense...

gasolina
07-07-2009, 12:50 PM
It's pretty hard to imagine the grizzlies paying Z-bo $16M to play limited minutes.

Disclaimer: The next statement is made just by pure fanboyism

I was playing NBA 2k9 with some sick new rosters with the 2009 rookies. My starting lineup consists of Gasol, Z-bo, Gay, Mayo and Conley taking significant minutes. Thabeet, Warrick and Carroll got whatever is left from the C, PF and SF positions. Young got a lot of minutes because he's basically backing up 2 guard spots with Mayo handling backup PG duties.

If whoever made the rosters made the rookies correctly, then it would be a fun season. I don't usually go to Z-bo on offense and still go through Mayo/Gay. But go to him exclusively if I need a bucket to stop a run.

Thabeet and Carroll are very nice off the bench. They just wreck havoc with their limited minutes. Warrick is kinda lost in the shuffle. When he comes in usually I still have Mayo on the floor and would rather go to Mayo for scoring.

Young is awesome as 6th man because he gives me another option when Mayo plays PG with the bench.

End fanboyism.

jailer
07-08-2009, 02:01 AM
I thought that everyone should know, that Rudy and OJ are going to Vegas as well. They are going to practice with the team so that they can begin building chemistry with the new grizzlies.

gasolina
07-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Who else is happier with the state of our team now that the Cap and the Tax line has gone down. IMO it will continue to go down just because of the inflated earnings everyone had.

This really gives small market teams a chance to compete. IMO the NBA should have a solid cap.

jailer
07-09-2009, 02:43 AM
Apparently were putting a contract together for iverson.

FIXED
07-09-2009, 03:19 AM
Apparently were putting a contract together for iverson.

Iverson is a good guy remember last year whe he was with the nuggets he was putting up 25 ppg a game.

BigSims2108
07-09-2009, 08:08 AM
A.I. is only a good idea business wise. Yeah, he will put people in the seats, but he would ruin this team even more. It's all about his ego. A.I. has always about him, him, him. The last thing we need is another selfish guy on this team. Not only that, he would have what I call "The T.O. effect" on the Griz. When Terrell Owens was with the cowboys, he destroyed the confidence of Romo and all of the young players on that team. Same thing applies here. A.I. will torture Conley's confidence and he is developing into a fine point guard in the future.

berraco
07-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Put one bad attitude guy in a team, and the guy can change. Put two, and the team is gone. I don't want Iverson in the roster.

jailer
07-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Apparently the contract has all sorts of insubortination clauses in it. Like he has to play off the bench and can't be detrimental to the team. If he refuses or acts up we get to fine him.

berraco
07-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Apparently the contract has all sorts of insubortination clauses in it. Like he has to play off the bench and can't be detrimental to the team. If he refuses or acts up we get to fine him.
Yes, but it doesn't change the things. He's not going to care about fines or whatever... I wouldn't take any risk with A.I.

jailer
07-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Yes, but it doesn't change the things. He's not going to care about fines or whatever... I wouldn't take any risk with A.I.
It's a really sketchy situation.

jailer
07-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I was thinking about a possible trade. Since the trailblazers want milsap. Maybe they would trade aldridge. If the trade for randolph falls to crap. We could send conley for aldridge. Then we could sign andre miller or ramon sessions.

brandonislegend
07-09-2009, 09:51 PM
I was thinking about a possible trade. Since the trailblazers want milsap. Maybe they would trade aldridge. If the trade for randolph falls to crap. We could send conley for aldridge. Then we could sign andre miller or ramon sessions.

that deal would never happen for so many reasons.

Kebab Stall
07-10-2009, 04:19 AM
Aldridge would be an excellent piece. The Blazers can't be looking to play both Aldridge and Millsap, since Aldridge plays 35+ minutes. They also can't be looking to play either at center, since they have Oden and Przybilla eating up the minutes there.

Mississippi
07-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Don't be pissed Kebab

3SOB: Did the Grizzlies have concern about Blair's health or was it something else? What went into that selection? Michael Heisley: We were concerned about his knees but the big concern was that he's a great rebounder but he's not offensive. We felt that if we had Thabeet on the floor with Blair we could not give up that much offensively. In other words it would be difficult to have two rebounding guys on the floor without real offensive capability on the floor. It would be hard to play them together and that probably carried as much as the knees did. If we had picked Rubio I think we might have picked Blair when we picked Young. By the way, I think Rubio is going to be a great player in the NBA. I don't think people are wrong about their opinions on Rubio. I know there is some question, and there has always been a question, as to whether he would come or not come [to the NBA] and I think that is why you see a lot of people contacting Minnesota to try to trade for that pick. 3 Shades of Blue

3SOB: I was out on the floor and I didn't hardly hear a single boo. I heard nothing but cheers. It was very loud and very positive at the Forum to the Thabeet pick. MH: I think the point is and like I keep saying to the fans: we have to win the fan support by winning more games. Thabeet's got to win the fans’ support by playing well. The bottom line is that it doesn't make any difference who you pick. If he doesn't play well he's going to be chastised for it pretty severely. So he's going to have a lot of pressure on him to perform and that's tough for a young guy. It's especially tough for a young big guy because that's a much tougher position. Those guys come along a lot slower. And when you've got a guy with as little experience as he has he's going to be doing a lot of learning over the next couple of years. Hopefully he'll get off to a good enough start that the fans will get behind him and support him all the way through. He's going to need the fans' support. I hope to God if he starts out making some dumb mistakes hopefully people won't start to boo him

Kebab Stall
07-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Dear lord, I think I may cry.

We were concerned about his knees but the big concern was that he's a great rebounder but he's not offensive. We felt that if we had Thabeet on the floor with Blair we could not give up that much offensively.
Oh, but Thabeet is offensive is he? Thabeet will be lucky to average 8/8 in his rookie year. Blair may take longer to adapt, but his rebounding numbers will undoubtedly be better than Thabeet's throughout his career. Height only gets you so far. To rebound well, you have to be an animal and that's exactly what Blair is, he takes no prisoners on the boards. Not to mention the fact that Blair completely destroyed and humiliated Thabeet in their matchup a couple of months back, where Blair literally tossed that lumbering oaf around. Hell, Thabeet may as well have just put on a dress and pranced around the court for that game, because he was absloutely pathetic.

In other words it would be difficult to have two rebounding guys on the floor without real offensive capability on the floor. It would be hard to play them together and that probably carried as much as the knees did.
BS excuse. You get the rebounds, you control the game. It's the way it has always been. It doesn't matter if Thabeet and Blair don't provide much offensive power. We have more than enough fire power at the 2 and 3 to make up for it. The defense and rebounding from the 4 and 5 with Blair and Thabeet, would have kick started so much fast paced offense with their ability to make the outlet pass.

If we had picked Rubio I think we might have picked Blair when we picked Young.
Like that is suppose to make anyone feel better. So, when he's (Heisley) proving how much of an idiot he is, by not taking Blair, at the exact same time, he manages to prove why he is such an idiot as to why he passed on Rubio.

Not to mention, all I kept hearing about before the draft was, "forget the roster, you pick the best player available". Really? So in Heisley's f*cking head, Thabeet > Rubio?

I think the point is and like I keep saying to the fans: we have to win the fan support by winning more games.
Are you f*cking kidding me? This coming from the same guy who wants to bring in Iverson and Randolph? Does this guy even know what's going on in his own f*cking mind?

This coming from the same guy who has pretty much wet himself at the thought of bringing in the big names, "Iverson" and "Randolph", just so he can put butts in the seats? Because they sure as hell are not going to bring us that many more wins.

[QUOTE]Thabeet's got to win the fans

gasolina
07-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Is this free agency gonna pass without us signing someone?????????

And no don't sign someone just for the heck of it. I don't want any more Brian Cardinals

Kebab Stall
07-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Is this free agency gonna pass without us signing someone?????????

And no don't sign someone just for the heck of it. I don't want any more Brian Cardinals
If the Randolph trade doesn't work out (apparently there might be some health issues), then I think we might sign someone, possibly David Lee. Other than that, we might sign a defensive PG or something, I don't know.

jailer
07-11-2009, 03:57 AM
that deal would never happen for so many reasons.
Yeah I know but it would be awesome:roll:

BigSims2108
07-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Here's a hypothetical situation. Say the Z-bo trade was called off, right? And the jazz are looking to move Boozer. What if we sent the Jazz S&T Warrick, Jaric, the rights to Miles, and rights to Juan Carlos Navarro to the Jazz for Boozer? I seriously doubt the jazz would do this, but you never know.

jailer
07-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Here's a hypothetical situation. Say the Z-bo trade was called off, right? And the jazz are looking to move Boozer. What if we sent the Jazz S&T Warrick, Jaric, the rights to Miles, and rights to Juan Carlos Navarro to the Jazz for Boozer? I seriously doubt the jazz would do this, but you never know.
Yeah I guess so

Maniak
07-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Whatd I miss? What Z-Cancer deal?

jailer
07-13-2009, 01:41 PM
The Zach Randolph trade will become official on friday. So everyone can stop saying" what if it dosent go through".

gasolina
07-14-2009, 12:08 PM
If a guy is on our summer leagues team... do we have his rights?

Yes, this is Marcus Williams related

jailer
07-14-2009, 01:39 PM
If a guy is on our summer leagues team... do we have his rights?

Yes, this is Marcus Williams related
No. Right after the league ends that player can sign anywhere. We would obviously be the first team to try and sign the "player" if we wanted them. But said "player" could be offered a spot from the knicks and go play for them instead.

BigSims2108
07-14-2009, 10:03 PM
No. Right after the league ends that player can sign anywhere. We would obviously be the first team to try and sign the "player" if we wanted them. But said "player" could be offered a spot from the knicks and go play for them instead.

We should at least put this guy on our preseason squad and go from there.

Mississippi
07-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Unless he gets a good offer from another team I think he will sign with us. He's good friends with both Thabeet and Rudy and I think they want to keep him around.

jailer
07-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Unless he gets a good offer from another team I think he will sign with us. He's good friends with both Thabeet and Rudy and I think they want to keep him around.
I dont think he knew thabeet at Uconn. He was teammates with rudy. And rudy has asked about him.

He has looked really well in his first two games though.

Mississippi
07-17-2009, 08:23 AM
No you should read his Twitter page. All he does is talk about Thabeet. I think they are pretty good friends.

Also:

A source told Pro Basketball News that interest between Carter and Memphis is "pretty strong." The Grizzlies wouldn't give Carter more than a one-year minimum deal, which is all the Nuggets will offer him. However, the source believes the Grizzlies could steal Carter away because he's worried about his playing time being cut after the Nuggets last month traded for rookie point guard Ty Lawson on draft night.

I wouldn't mind Anthony Carter. He hustles and would be another veteran presence to help mentor the younger players.

BigSims2108
07-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Well our former boy, Earl Watson, signed a 1 yr deal with the Pacers. He joins our other former boy, Dahantay Jones. Any thoughts on that?

jailer
07-20-2009, 05:23 AM
Man guys I really liked Marcus William's play in the summer league. He ran the team great. We went 5-0 in the league which almost never happens.

berraco
07-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Man guys I really liked Marcus William's play in the summer league. He ran the team great. We went 5-0 in the league which almost never happens.

so far, so good. Williams earned a spot in the roster, even if we can also gather Anthony Carter. Young and Carroll did a really good job. Thabeet, well, it is obvious that he underachieved in defense (no comment on his offensive skills, if any). And now what? This could be the roster by the end of the offseason (if I'm not missing anyone or someone is already gone)

Conley / Williams / Jaric (Carter?)
Mayo / Young / (Jaric)
Gay / Carroll /
Randolph / Warrick / Arthur
Gasol / Thabeet / Haddaddi

What do you think about this team? What else do we need?

jailer
07-21-2009, 12:43 AM
We didnt get to see thabeets offense. He only averaged a little over five shots a game. But I did expect more out of his defense.

Kebab Stall
07-21-2009, 04:48 AM
I was expecting more blocked shots. Every time I went to check the box score I was thrilled to see if had 3+ blocks, but numerous times I checked and he had none.

Without the likes of Jaric, Buckner, Darko and Ross taking up significant places on the roster, our team looks pretty good. We should definitly be able to crack 30 wins, I'm still not too thrilled chemistry wise though.

berraco
07-21-2009, 01:54 PM
I was expecting more blocked shots. Every time I went to check the box score I was thrilled to see if had 3+ blocks, but numerous times I checked and he had none.

Without the likes of Jaric, Buckner, Darko and Ross taking up significant places on the roster, our team looks pretty good. We should definitly be able to crack 30 wins, I'm still not too thrilled chemistry wise though.

Is Jaric still in the roster? I'm too lazy to make a search...
I generally agree with you, Kebab. This team looks able to make 30, but it also happened to the Clippers last year and we all know what happened.

jailer
07-22-2009, 02:32 AM
Is Jaric still in the roster? I'm too lazy to make a search...
I generally agree with you, Kebab. This team looks able to make 30, but it also happened to the Clippers last year and we all know what happened.
Jaric is on the team currently. But the griz are trying to trade him. If they cant expect a buy out.

Mississippi
07-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Jaric is on the team currently. But the griz are trying to trade him. If they cant expect a buy out.
Lima never comes to any games so yeah buy him out.

jailer
07-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Lima never comes to any games so yeah buy him out.
:oldlol: :oldlol: that is very true I can find no wrong logic in what youre saying.

jailer
08-02-2009, 04:52 AM
Geoff Calkins wrote an article today about how heisley is cheap. The article is poorly written as usual, but for once I actually agre with calkns.

gasolina
08-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Is our offseason done? is this our team for next year?

Conley / Marcus
OJ / Sam
Rudy / Demarre
Zach / Darrell
Marc / Hasheem

Lottery here we come!

berraco
08-04-2009, 02:10 AM
Is our offseason done? is this our team for next year?

Conley / Marcus
OJ / Sam
Rudy / Demarre
Zach / Darrell
Marc / Hasheem

Lottery here we come!

I think so. Unless someone needs the Grizzlies to make a three way deal that could land any other player here, i don't see any significant addition in the roster. And yes, we are a lottery team once more.

jailer
08-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Yea we will be in the lottery again. But I think we will be out of the top ten in the lottery.

Mississippi
08-06-2009, 11:50 AM
I just read after the Marcus Williams signing we will have to sign one more player to reach the minimum. We need a shooter. I'm thinking either Luther Head, Kareem Rush, Steve Novak or Morris Almond.

BigSims2108
08-06-2009, 06:55 PM
I just read after the Marcus Williams signing we will have to sign one more player to reach the minimum. We need a shooter. I'm thinking either Luther Head, Kareem Rush, Steve Novak or Morris Almond.

Wow. I thought was the only person on this board who liked Steve Novak. lol

jailer
08-08-2009, 04:12 AM
The griz just made a trade.They send a second round conditional pick to denver for a protected first round pick, Steven Hunter and cash. I like the move. Hunter is a good replacement for Hakim leaving plus we get another first round pick for next years draft and cash. Good stuff.

Kebab Stall
08-08-2009, 04:44 AM
The griz just made a trade.They send a second round conditional pick to denver for a protected first round pick, Steven Hunter and cash. I like the move. Hunter is a good replacement for Hakim leaving plus we get another first round pick for next years draft and cash. Good stuff.
For once, we're on the recieving end of getting a player in one of these deals. Usually, we'd be the team giving up a player for cash.

jailer
08-09-2009, 11:03 AM
For once, we're on the recieving end of getting a player in one of these deals. Usually, we'd be the team giving up a player for cash.
Yeah im still waiting for the catch in the deal. Im sure we have to take on the nuggetts owners home mortgage or something.

Mississippi
09-03-2009, 04:42 PM
So we worked out Mike Taylor and we are waiting on Iverson.

brandonislegend
09-04-2009, 05:31 AM
Not Iverson Please God.

Mississippi
09-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Today is the big day guys. Iverson will decide whether or not he will sign with us today.

Kebab Stall
09-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Let's all pray that he rejects the offer.

jailer
09-04-2009, 05:04 PM
I just want the griz to sign someone with some positive expierence in the league.

Maniak
09-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Hmm, so still no news from AI?

Weird.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
09-05-2009, 05:15 AM
Hmm, so still no news from AI?

Weird.

this

Maniak
09-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Wow, I guess it wasnt to be on Friday....

Now Im getting impatient.

jailer
09-06-2009, 03:09 AM
Aparently its almost done. Iverson is supposed to have a face to face meeting with heisley. This will be the first time they have actually met. All interaction from the two parties has been done through iverson's agent. This is a good sign for anyone who wants iverson here in grizzly blue.

BigSims2108
09-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Aparently its almost done. Iverson is supposed to have a face to face meeting with heisley. This will be the first time they have actually met. All interaction from the two parties has been done through iverson's agent. This is a good sign for anyone who wants iverson here in grizzly blue.

I still don't know if I do or not.

jailer
09-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah im still i'ffy on if I want him here or not.