PDA

View Full Version : Can Boston beat Orlando?

GiveItToBurrito
05-02-2009, 08:18 PM
All right, assuming the Celtics win tonight, what do you think are the odds that they would beat the Magic?

The way I figure it, Boston's been playing basically a six man rotation heavy minutes for the last two weeks, and they've only got one real center who could guard Dwight Howard. It's pretty much unrealistic to expect Perk to guard Dwight 40+ minutes a night without getting into serious foul trouble, plus Orlando's well-equipped to guard just about everyone on the Celtics. Ray Allen might be able to go berserk if Reddick has to guard him, but I could conceivably see Orlando going big, putting Turk at the 2 and playing someone like Gortat at power forward until Lee's healthy, which would probably improve the Magic's defense. Basically, I'm looking at the Magic winning in six, maybe even five.

iTruWarrior
05-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Celtics have a good chance but they won't even Leon Powe either. I truly don't know which team has a better chance taking out Orlando.

Magic have a weak backcourt, and their going to get torched either way. Just don't know which team backcourt would torch the other better.

Bigsmoke
05-03-2009, 01:57 AM
they need KG

bdreason
05-03-2009, 01:59 AM
Unless the Magic just start missing shots left and right, there is no way this current Celtics squad can win 4 games.

takeittothehoop
05-03-2009, 02:06 AM
I'll give Boston a 30% chance against Orlando but I really think Boston are going to be outmatched by the Magic's frontcourt. The Celtics don't really have anyone to "slow down" Dwight Howard. I'll take Orlando in 5.

nbastatus
05-03-2009, 02:10 AM
not sure. but i will focus on the two sonic formers.
ray allen and rashard lewis :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

mbell75
05-03-2009, 02:14 AM
Boston has homecourt but without KG and Powe, its highly unlikely they win this series. Especially after playing so much in the 1st series.

Bigsmoke
05-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Boston has homecourt but without KG and Powe, its highly unlikely they win this series. Especially after playing so much in the 1st series.

and to add on to the fact that Howard had a lil rest.

dr8ked
05-03-2009, 02:23 AM
Orlando is the easiest team to beat. Their Offense has 3 Options,

1: Pass the Ball to Howard and let him go to work

2: Shoot 3 points, dwight will get the rebounds

3: if the 3 points don't work, drive into the lane (this one always fails- except for game 6 against the sixers)

Pistons beats them easily by giving them option number 1 but shut down number 2 and 3. If Celtics can follow this game plan the series should be Over in 6 Games..

stephanieg
05-03-2009, 02:29 AM
If Orlando doesn't solve Perkins single covering Dwight, maybe.

west
05-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Hell yea,they match up well against the Magic.

No.45
05-03-2009, 02:35 AM
the bulls series could have really worn out the celtics starters. now going against a fresh, but injured magics team....it'll be interesting.

i say orlando in 6.

Al Thornton
05-03-2009, 02:46 AM
Yes if KG pulls a Willis Reed.

Guy10
05-03-2009, 02:52 AM
I think the only chance of the Celtics advancing is if Garnett can play the 15-20 minutes a game that he could when he first came back from his injury. Even if he can't move as well as he should be able to, his presence on the floor alone on the offensive end will force Orlando's defense to pay less attention to Pierce, Rondo, and Allen. Even on the defensive end he could contribute taking fouls away from Perkins/Davis that otherwise would remove them. Without him on the floor they will most likely just let Big Baby try and beat them.

Ken_Masters
05-03-2009, 03:16 AM
Absolutely. The Celtics match up perfectly against Orlando, even without KG. Perkins can guard Howard 1 on 1.

Dbrog
05-03-2009, 03:26 AM
I think Boston has a good chance. Who is gonna guard Pierce and Ray? Hedo has been playing pretty poorly recently (which could change) and much of Lewis' advantages are taken away by the fact that the Cs DONT have a big to put in the 4 slot. Of course there is no one to guard Howard if Perk fouls out. However, this doesn't matter since (like houston) Orlando doesn't understand the concept of giving your big the ball when he has position.

Killbot
05-03-2009, 04:51 AM
not sure. but i will focus on the two sonic formers.
ray allen and rashard lewis :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

It will be a treat. :banana:

Alonzo Magic
05-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Magic in 5

Shepseskaf
05-03-2009, 06:10 AM
I think that the Celtics take the series a lot more easily than people think, even without Garnett. The key question is who's going to stop Rondo? After dealing with the incredible quickness and strength of Rose, Rondo's going to feel like he got a 'get out of jail' card -- and even playing against Rose, you could argue that he's been the best Celtic player in the playoffs. If he's as agressive about driving and getting in the lane as he was in the first-round, Orlando is in trouble.

Plus, the intangibles clearly favor Boston. Orlando isn't what I would call a "smart" team, while Boston has loads of playoff experience and crafty vets like Pierce and RayRay. Add to that the historical lack of success deep in the playoffs for the Magic.

If the Magic aren't hitting their 3s, it will be a short series. They remind of of the Suns a couple of years ago -- built for the regular season but not the playoffs. Even with DHo, I think they get abused down load, and in the backcourt, Boston definitely has the advantage.

Mamba
05-03-2009, 08:15 AM
they can, watch van gundy dissapear as a coach, and dwight howard just go beast.

pray dwight goes beast, because if u look at the time dwight has an awesome statline the rest of his team plays horribly

seriously look at the philly box scores.

JohnnySic
05-03-2009, 08:51 AM
The Celtics should be able to use their bench more against the Magic than they did vs the Bulls; the matchups are more favorable. They dont have to worry about little roadrunners like Rose, Gordon, and Hinrich anymore. Expect to see more of Marbury, House, and particularly Tony Allen manning up on Orlando's shooters. Maybe even a Bill Walker sighting, who knows...

DukeDelonte13
05-03-2009, 10:11 AM
I really hate all boston teams, including the celts, but alas, I must root for them against the magic. The celts are a good team and man for man are better than the Magic. I may be in the minority but I think the celts can pull this one off in another tight series. Celtics are going to be a much bigger challenge for the magic the philly was. Hell, magic made philly look somewhat respectable in the post season.

pete's montreux
05-03-2009, 10:16 AM
I'd say the chances of beating Orlando were pretty good with our current roster now if we had beaten Chicago in four or five games. A playoff series like ours? I'd be surprised if we steal a game or two. We're mentally and physically exhausted and Orlando has had a week's rest. I just don't see us winning.

mmsupra
05-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Come back Courtney Lee , your driving skills will be missed for the first 2 games.

The_Yearning
05-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Change the thread title to "Will Orlando beat Boston?"

because Orlando can only beat themselves in this series.

faz200
05-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Well, the Sixers gave Orlando fits at the 1 and 3 spots, That is now Rondo and Pierce. Ray Allen will give them fits too. The Big question is, Can Perkins Give them 38 minutes a night? If it reaches game 7 the celtics win, or if KG walks through that door, the Celtics win. All in all its all in Orlando's hands, they have no reason to lose to the celtics without KG and Powe. Will they choke and let it get to game 7 in BOSTON???

PP34Deuce
05-03-2009, 11:49 AM
My thoughts....

Other than Dwight Howard, Orlando is a BAD rebounding team.

They have streaky shooters, and I expect them to win one game by 15 plus points if they are on.

They are worst defensively than Chicago was. Chicago was able to take away drives for most of the series against the celtics. Lewis and Turk are no Tyrus Thomas,Noah, type guys. They are finesse players.

Orlando doesnt run a whole lot where as the bulls were a fast break everytime rose had the ball. IN a half court set Celtics are dangerous with Allen on screens,Pierce on the elbow, and rondo penetrating.

BOSTON in 6

franchise#3
05-03-2009, 12:02 PM
JJ Redick will kill the Celtics

No he won't

PP34Deuce
05-03-2009, 12:05 PM
JJ reddick would be the ideal matchup for ray allen. Ray can close on a shooter less athletic than him. Courtney Lee would at least make ray respect the drive and be on his feet laterally.

Personally i saw all 4 games, and many statlines you see howard with 20-17 rebounds, and the rest of the magic with 2-4. They are a finesse team and Boston will handle this in 6.

Allstar24
05-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Magic >>>> Bulls. If I'm not wrong, they split the season series with Boston. Now they don't even have KG or Leon Powe. This is a no-brainer, Magic in 6.

ProfessorMurder
05-03-2009, 12:43 PM
The Big question is, Can Perkins Give them 38 minutes a night?

Hell yeah man. Perk in game 5 played 48:20, with NO FOULS. Only two other players have done that, Wilt and (I'm drawing a blank). Perk has been playing fantastic lately. In game 5 he had 16 points, 19 rebs, and 7 blocks.

He and Baby have really stepped up since Powe/KG have been out.

Plus with Rondo attacking, Pierce and Ray. I think the Celts have a good shot at beating them.

Also the bench will play Moore(joke). Scal, TA, House, Marbury, and Moore will definitely see quite a bit more time.

GatorKid117
05-03-2009, 01:11 PM
My thoughts....

Other than Dwight Howard, Orlando is a BAD rebounding team.

They have streaky shooters, and I expect them to win one game by 15 plus points if they are on.

They are worst defensively than Chicago was. Chicago was able to take away drives for most of the series against the celtics. Lewis and Turk are no Tyrus Thomas,Noah, type guys. They are finesse players.

Orlando doesnt run a whole lot where as the bulls were a fast break everytime rose had the ball. IN a half court set Celtics are dangerous with Allen on screens,Pierce on the elbow, and rondo penetrating.

BOSTON in 6

You lost all your credibility right there. Bulls=terrible on defense. Gordon and Rose were probably the worst starting defensive backcourt in the PO.

And lol, Noah and Thomas are definitely finesse players. Noah doesn't impose himself physically in any game. Post=fail

daboywonder2002
05-03-2009, 01:12 PM
call me crazy but i like the celts in 7. all boston needs to do is look at how detroit owned them last year in the playoffs. perkins needs to do his best sheed impression and just play him straight up. no double teaming. i see rondo and ray allen outperforming the magic's backcourt. just like billups and hamilton did last year. ITS NO DIFFERENT. i see rondo having a big series against alston. look howard is gonna get his numbers. heck so will turk and shard. but i dont think its gonna be enuff. even when scal and mikki moore come in. all they have to do is but a body on howard and make him work. just buy perkins some time to avoid him getting in foul trouble.

ZHAKIDD532
05-03-2009, 01:12 PM
They won't win without KG. Period.

Amigo
05-03-2009, 01:23 PM
The C's are done. Howard will out muscle the C's and Alston will take Rondo to school. The C's hit 3's. The Magic hit them too. Too bad for big shiny KG.

nbastatus
05-03-2009, 01:53 PM
It will be a treat. :banana:
3's all day :cheers: :cheers:

GiveItToBurrito
05-03-2009, 03:10 PM
You lost all your credibility right there. Bulls=terrible on defense. Gordon and Rose were probably the worst starting defensive backcourt in the PO.

And lol, Noah and Thomas are definitely finesse players. Noah doesn't impose himself physically in any game. Post=fail

Yeah, plus Orlando's a great defensive team. No one on the team has a reputation as a great defender other than Dwight, but the Magic led the league in defensive rating last year. Someone needs to write a book on how, too, because the more I think about it, the more it blows my mind.

BigTicket
05-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Yes they can. Boston matches up pretty well against Orlando. They have the size inside to slow down Dwight, much better point guard play, and better wing players.

Much of it will come down to the way the refs call the Dwight v Perkins matchup. If they call it in favor of Dwight as usual, and Perkins ends up spending much of the game on the bench as a result, the Magic will win. If they start actually calling Dwight for some of all the 3-second violations and offensive fouls though ? In that case the Celtics win.

Bush4Ever
05-03-2009, 03:41 PM
If the Celtics bigs can match up with Howard, the Celtics will actually match up very well with Orlando.

Besides, any team that leans heavily on outside shooting is vulnerable.

Splitz77
05-03-2009, 03:45 PM
I see my celtics winning 4-0.......lol.jkjk

Nah, I don't think that its going to be easy for the Celtics, if they do end up losing to the magic, I think that they will lose in either game 6 or 7..

Gifted Mind
05-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Without KG, no chance.

burnsy87
05-03-2009, 06:08 PM

THIS ^^^

Bulls were AWFUL on D. The only presence they have on D is blocking shots with TT and Noah. No perimeter defense, terrible at fighting through screens, apparently awful against the pick and roll.

When you look at the Boston-Chicago series, the one thing that really killed the Bulls was the lack of size inside. Even though Noah had a good series, he was abused by perkins. Perkins got a ridiculous number of offensive boards and they always capitalized on them. Obviously, Perkins wont be able to push around Howard like hes a 12 year old girl.

I think the Magic take this in 6. Thats only if the Celtics continue to make every god damn last shot like they did against my bulls.

To the people saying who guards pierce and allen....Does it matter who guards them? we had Salmons on Pierce and he was basically no where to be found for most of the series. With Allen it doesnt even matter, he apparently makes every freakin shot he takes.

ProfessorMurder
05-03-2009, 06:10 PM
With Allen it doesnt even matter, he apparently makes every freakin shot he takes.

He does...

burnsy87
05-03-2009, 06:11 PM
He does...

Stop bringing it up :cry:

ProfessorMurder
05-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Stop bringing it up :cry:

Hahaha, sorry. What can I say? :confusedshrug:

The man was insane in round 1.

PP34Deuce
05-03-2009, 06:26 PM
THIS ^^^

Bulls were AWFUL on D. The only presence they have on D is blocking shots with TT and Noah. No perimeter defense, terrible at fighting through screens, apparently awful against the pick and roll.

When you look at the Boston-Chicago series, the one thing that really killed the Bulls was the lack of size inside. Even though Noah had a good series, he was abused by perkins. Perkins got a ridiculous number of offensive boards and they always capitalized on them. Obviously, Perkins wont be able to push around Howard like hes a 12 year old girl.

I think the Magic take this in 6. Thats only if the Celtics continue to make every god damn last shot like they did against my bulls.

To the people saying who guards pierce and allen....Does it matter who guards them? we had Salmons on Pierce and he was basically no where to be found for most of the series. With Allen it doesnt even matter, he apparently makes every freakin shot he takes.

The bulls are a lot more athletic at the wing spots and were able to at least slide their feet. The magic are a bad rebounding team( look beyond Dwight) The magic dont have much size other than Dwight. Tony BAttie doesnt scare me, neither does the 3rd string bigs they have.

They have 2 SF's and only Rashard lewis will pose a matchup problem because of us not having a big that can move laterally to prevent him from driving. Pierce has always been able to make Hedo a non factor most of the time. Ray Allen wins the matchup against either Lee or Reddick, though Lee would make him play a bit more defense.

Howard will get his 20-17, but the celtics will be a better team rebounding collectively. The celtics are a lot more tougher physically than this magic team that is soft.

Boston in 6.

GatorKid117
05-03-2009, 06:50 PM
The bulls are a lot more athletic at the wing spots and were able to at least slide their feet. The magic are a bad rebounding team( look beyond Dwight) The magic dont have much size other than Dwight. Tony BAttie doesnt scare me, neither does the 3rd string bigs they have.

They have 2 SF's and only Rashard lewis will pose a matchup problem because of us not having a big that can move laterally to prevent him from driving. Pierce has always been able to make Hedo a non factor most of the time. Ray Allen wins the matchup against either Lee or Reddick, though Lee would make him play a bit more defense.

Howard will get his 20-17, but the celtics will be a better team rebounding collectively. The celtics are a lot more tougher physically than this magic team that is soft.

Boston in 6.

What does sliding your feet well have anything to do w/ great defense? The fact of the matter is, Gordan and Rose are anemic on defense. I don't care how athletic they are, athleticism does not equal defense. Tyrus Thomas is arguably the most athletic PF in the game but he has no fundamentals and gets exposed regularly on defense.

I agree with you on Pierce, Turk and Pierce usually cancel each other with a slight edge to Pierce. However, the rebounding I don't agree with either. Do you know how many rebounds Big Baby had last game.........2. He is not a great rebounder. Perkins is good but Dwight is the best rebounder in the game. Orlando has a better rebound rate so far in the PO with like you said 1 guy doing the bulk of the work. Boston does not have an edge in rebounding.

Ray Allen, I agree with. He will torch us w/o Lee.

Forgot to say, Philly was the #1 offensive rebounding team in the league. So Philly>Chicago in rebounding, just an FYI.

darius15
05-03-2009, 07:16 PM
This should really be an interesting series. I'll tentatively say Boston in 7, but there are a lot of factors at play, including Boston fatigue and Perkins foul trouble.

Sriracha
05-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Rondo is going to dominate this series. Reddick should in no way be starting over Piektrus.

bomber
05-03-2009, 07:37 PM
We have three players who need to be spectacular (Rajon, Ray, and Paul) and when they are we won't be beat. Dwight might not be effective on the offensive end, Perk and Baby will have to be rock solid. We have a good chance if we defend.

yeaaaman
05-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Honestly I'm not sure how much fatigue will be a factor for the Celtics in this series.

Anyways, I think there are alot of important things to look at:

Guys like Hedo and Lewis who for the most part struggled in the first series had some time off to rest, well vetrans Ray Allen and Paul Pierce had to play a very hard fought 7 game series, not to mention all the overtimes.

Without Powe or Garnett, the only reliable defender left against Howard is Perkins, and although I don't like the guy I have to give him credit, he is a very solid defender and has enough muscle to play Dwight one on one. The problem is Howard still has the ability to dominate Perk, and give him foul trouble and if the latter happens the C's frontcourt becomes VERY thin, so one could expect alot of offensive rebounds and putback dunks, where against Perk Howard would actually have to work and use some of his skill, with the other guys he would just dominate them physically.

Rondo for the most part has been playing amazing, and I expect him to continue to play well. I think both guards need to keep their heads in the game, Rondo has to control the pace and not get caught up in a running game because that would play into the hands of the Magic, and Alston needs to take good shots and work on continuing to get Howard the ball down low.

As people have been mentioning the Magic had alot of trouble containing the 1 and the 3 against the Sixers, and that could continue, especially with Courtney Lee out. I expect a better series from Pierce in particular.

I don't mind seeing Reddick start because right away that's another dangerous three point threat which will allow Howard a bit more space and to get comfortable and possibly in a rhythm from the get go. Plus, it's good to have an energy player like Pietrus who can come in and do a little bit of everything, especially defend, its not a good thing to have a huge dropoff when your second unit comes in.

I think Lewis vs. Big Baby will be an interesting matchup which should be problematic for both teams, but I would say more so for the C's.

Finally as someone else also mentioned I think Marbury and some of the other guys might get a bit more burn this series, and in the case of Marbury he needs to play less timid and be a bit more natural out there rather than really trying to force himself into the system, because at times I feel he's overdoing it, especially when he's passing up open shots or that floater once he's already beat his man off the dribble. Sometimes making the extra pass isn't always the right idea.

Also, now that we're in the second round and Orlando has a good shot with KG out, expect to see Stan Van Gundy pop a blood vessel on a missed defensive assignment by Reddick or possibly even experience cardiac arrest if Hedo decides to take one of his ill advised pull up 3 pointers with 19 seconds on the shot clock

Overall the series could go a lot of ways. If Orlando wins I would take them in 7, splitting the games in Boston and then coming home to take care of home court, losing game 5 and then coming home to close it out in game 6. If it goes the way of the C's I see them winning in 7. Should be a good series. :cheers:

PP34Deuce
05-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Rashard Lewis scares me the most. we have no Big who can match up with his finesse style.

Pierce will be on Hedo, so that leaves Davis who will lose that battle easily.

ProfessorMurder
05-03-2009, 08:40 PM
You guys are forgetting that Dwight has poor offensive skills. He's a great player, but he's got a pretty bad shot.

All Perk/Baby/Scal/Moore need to do is keep Dwight in front of them, and box him out. His hook shot is inconsistant, and if they keep him out of the low block he won't score more than 20-25.

Just play straight up D, like a wall, and Dwight won't drop 40 anytime unless there's severe foul trouble.

Sriracha
05-03-2009, 10:54 PM
You guys are forgetting that Dwight has poor offensive skills. He's a great player, but he's got a pretty bad shot.

All Perk/Baby/Scal/Moore need to do is keep Dwight in front of them, and box him out. His hook shot is inconsistant, and if they keep him out of the low block he won't score more than 20-25.

Just play straight up D, like a wall, and Dwight won't drop 40 anytime unless there's severe foul trouble.

:cheers:

ProfessorMurder
05-03-2009, 10:59 PM
GTFO

I'm going to GTF-In. I'm not saying that Moore/Scal will shut Dwight down. But in a pinch they may need to guard him, hence why I put their names down.

Perk will do well against him though. Dwight will get his numbers no matter what; but he's not who will kill the Celtics, someone else will have to step up.

Sriracha
05-03-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm going to GTF-In. I'm not saying that Moore/Scal will shut Dwight down. But in a pinch they may need to guard him, hence why I put their names down.

Perk will do well against him though. Dwight will get his numbers no matter what; but he's not who will kill the Celtics, someone else will have to step up.

I misunderstood your post and though you were trolling.

ProfessorMurder
05-03-2009, 11:25 PM
I misunderstood your post and though you were trolling.

Haha It's cool man. :pimp:

I'm rooting for the Celts in 6. I honestly think it'll go 7, but it really could go either way.

MMM
05-04-2009, 12:32 AM
Transitional offence is going to be vital for the Celtics to have success it is imperative that they beat a set Magic defence anchored by the DPOY Dwight Howard. This is where the importance of Rajon Rondo come into play. Through out this year he has been a one man fast break for the Celtics whether it is finishing in traffic or kicking it back to to an open Ray Allen, Paul Pierce or Eddie House. Beside Howard the Magic don't seem to have great athleticism at the other positions so this is a great opportunity for the Celtics to finish at the basket when transition chances present them selves.

Ray vs JJ. Reddic/Rashard vs Big Baby
Bot teams would love to exploit this match ups. For the Celtics it is important they get the most out of their advantage as it might not last that long while the Celtics will have to deal with Rashard the entire series. Courtney Lee when he returns does have the ability to guard Ray he in fact is one of the better defenders at his position. Big Baby will have a difficult task at defending Lewis especially seeing as how hot he has been lately but Baby needs to go at him at the other end as well as much as he possibly can without running into the DPOY. That is a critical point Davis is not a great finisher in the paint and he needs to be aware of Howard. As hot as Lewis been over the last couple of games Ray Allen might have been hotter (26.7ppg, 45%fg, 52%3FG over 6 games)

Perk vs Howard
This match up might hurt Boston more so offensively then the other side of the ball . Perk scoring inside has been solid in the absence of Garnett but with Howard in the middle the Celtics will lose a lot of opportunities to get easy scores in the paint. Defensively I'm not too concerned with Howard vs Perk I think Perk can do a solid job on him but what I worry about is Perk picking up fouls not only from Howard but on moving screens, push offs, etc. Perkins can not afford to pick up those cheap fouls he is just to important to the defense as a whole. Mikki Moore or Scalabrine have 0 chance against Howard.

Will the Bruins Bruins still playing playoff hockey have any effect on this series?
We have heard about how cold the building is during games could this have effect on the shooters?

Overall I have the Celtics in 6 mainly because of a factor I have not mention so far and that is Paul Pierce. I see him having a big series because he can get to his spot against Turk and a Pierce that is getting to his spots might not bode so well for the Magic.

ProfessorMurder
05-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Will the Bruins Bruins still playing playoff hockey have any effect on this series?
We have heard about how cold the building is during games could this have effect on the shooters?

Dude, the Garden is cold as f*ck! The players will cool off quickly when they are sweating.

I went to game 5. The 80 degree day, plus I got into Boston around 6, so I had to basically run from South Station to the Garden. Therefor I was sweating a bit.

When I got to my seat I was freezing for about the first 25 minutes until I acclimated to the 50-ish degree building.

Plus thanks to the game going into OT, I had like 20 minutes to book it back to the station or I'd miss the last bus of the night back to Maine.

It was f*cking awesome though!

Shepseskaf
05-04-2009, 07:24 AM
So, the Magic are suddenly a top defensive team? With JJ Reddick playing significant minutes? You must be kidding. Rondo and RayRay will feast. Ray might score 80+ a few times.

The Magic has probably the worst guard combo remaining in the playoffs, and the backcourt is Boston's strength.

JohnnySic
05-04-2009, 07:35 AM
The Magic has probably the worst guard combo remaining in the playoffs, and the backcourt is Boston's strength.
After having to deal with Rose/Gordon/Hinrich, I expect this fact to stand out, and as such I expect to see more of Marbury, House, and TAllen in this series. That should help mitigate any fatigue that Rondo and Ray may have after the last series.

xx03xx
05-04-2009, 07:40 AM
tes

greymatter
05-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Perkins can guard Howard 1 on 1.

That's what sixers fans were saying about Dalembert. What happened in the regular season hardly applies anymore.

greymatter
05-04-2009, 08:28 AM
However, this doesn't matter since (like houston) Orlando doesn't understand the concept of giving your big the ball when he has position.

You haven't been paying much attention to how teams have been playing Yao. They want to give him the ball, but against more mobile big men who are also stronger (like Oden), they simply can't get him the ball very easily. Yao is tall, but he is also quite weak and has bad ankles. He simply doesn't have the power to screen out centers who are stronger and more agile. All they have to do all day is front him and he then fails to screen his guy out to create space. If the Rockets try to force it into him while he's being fronted, it often results in a turnover.

sixerfan82
05-04-2009, 08:28 AM
That's what sixers fans were saying about Dalembert. What happened in the regular season hardly applies anymore.

Dalembert can't guard anything with legs

nashisbest
05-04-2009, 08:31 AM
if KG is playing - yes

if KG is not playing and Rondo is tossing players everywhere - yes

if none of the above happen - yes

if david stern resigns - no

greymatter
05-04-2009, 08:45 AM
call me crazy but i like the celts in 7. all boston needs to do is look at how detroit owned them last year in the playoffs.

What works for one team doesn't necessarily work for others. You have different personel that have different strengths. Rondo isn't going to have a field day driving the ball into Joakim Noah anymore.

perkins needs to do his best sheed impression and just play him straight up.

Case in point as far as my first argument goes. Perkins isn't a multi-position defender. Besides that, the Pistons had McDyess, Ratliff, and Wallace to toss at Howard. The Celtics are short-handed and have no one besides Perkins who can match Howard's height and strength.

no double teaming. i see rondo and ray allen outperforming the magic's backcourt. just like billups and hamilton did last year. ITS NO DIFFERENT. i see rondo having a big series against alston. look howard is gonna get his numbers. heck so will turk and shard. but i dont think its gonna be enuff. even when scal and mikki moore come in. all they have to do is but a body on howard and make him work. just buy perkins some time to avoid him getting in foul trouble.

Lol, Scal and Moore? You expect a fat, slow white boy and a scrawny toothpick to make Howard work? He'd abuse them like Bobby Brown on Whitney Houston.

Again, what the Pistons could do and what Rondo/Allen can do are very different. Rondo still has an unreliable jumper and needs to take it to the basket to be successful. All the Magic need to do is challenge him to make 17-18 foot jumpers all day and he will be shut down.

niko
05-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Can tehy? OF COURSE. Orlando has a ****load of trouble with Boston, even without KG. I don't think they will, I think Boston shot their load last round and they injury of Powe will really kill them this series as the Boston bigs are already in foul trouble i think.

ProfessorMurder
05-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Dalembert can't guard anything with legs

I'm sure he could guard a table for a quarter... Until he gets into foul trouble.

Real Men Wear Green
05-04-2009, 11:27 AM
The solution could be a lot of smallball, something I normally hate. The Cs could lessen the damage losing KG and Powe has caused by starting Pierce at the 4, Allen at the three, and then moving TA or House into the starting SG slot. That way they can bring Baby out in an imitation of frontcourt depth while Pierce vs. Lewis isn't a bad match-up because both are really 3s, Lewis is a bit taller but his quickness would have given Baby problems anyway. It'll be tough for the Celts to win this series but there's definitely an opportunity.

Take Your Lumps
05-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Orlando has a ****load of trouble with Boston, even without KG.

At full strength, sure, but the Magic beat them both times this season w/o KG. (actually KG played half the game in one)

Orlando might miss Courtney Lee in this series though....they need him healthy asap.

phoenix18
05-04-2009, 11:33 AM
For us to make an accurate prediction, we have to look at the match ups.
Rondo vs Alston
Rondo has just played a seven game series against an athletic freak in Derek Rose. Alston is slower and less athletic but a veteran that wont turn over the ball as much and a much better shooter. Defensively, Rondo will just play him tight to take away the shots and easy passes.Alston will have trouble keeping rondo out of the lane which could case foul trouble for Howard.
Ray Allen vs JJ Reddick
At first glance, this match up seems even right?? Wrong, Ray Allen had to guard a faster, stronger shooter in Ben Gordon who could also penterate the lane. JJ Reddick does not take the ball to the rim and is only a stationary shooter. But, Ray Allen can do it all and is on HOT streak and will make quick work of Reddick.
Paul Pierce vs Who??
That is my question. If he goes against Turkoglu I would have to give the advantage to him because Turk is not a good defender but he is bigger. IF he is guarded by lewis I dont think that anyone will have an advantage either way.
Dwight Howard vs Big Baby Davis
Yes I said it. This is the match up right here. If Doc Rivers is a good coach you will see this match up. Big Baby now has a midrange shot that has to be guarded and that will take Howard out of the paint. You probably wont see this for long but watch for it, Howard will be a the free throw line instead of being in the paint and that will make defense for Orlando a chore.

Also,watch out for Marbury and Eddie House off the bench. I keep on waiting for Marbury to have a big game off the bench and I have a hunch its going to be in this series.

Real Men Wear Green
05-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Ray Allen vs JJ Reddick
At first glance, this match up seems even right??
No, not really.

phoenix18
05-04-2009, 11:43 AM
You should really read all of my post

hawkfan
05-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Celtics in 7.

All Net
05-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Going to be a good series, either Orlando in 6 or Boston in 7.

bagelred
05-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Well, here's one way for Celtics to help their cause:

PLAY MIKKI MOORE.

I watched plenty of games when Moore was on the Nets. The guy can play. He had the highest FG% in the league that year. I realize he played with Kidd, but the guy is a smart player. Let him play.

Give him 15-20 minutes a night to prevent Perkins and Big Baby from foul trouble and also to use Mikki's 6 fouls in the game on Dwight. Trust him to play well and smart.

Just my two cents.....

tmnt mask
05-04-2009, 05:26 PM
personally, i would not bet against the boston celtics.

AMISTILLILL
05-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Well, here's one way for Celtics to help their cause:

PLAY MIKKI MOORE.

I watched plenty of games when Moore was on the Nets. The guy can play. He had the highest FG% in the league that year. I realize he played with Kidd, but the guy is a smart player. Let him play.

Give him 15-20 minutes a night to prevent Perkins and Big Baby from foul trouble and also to use Mikki's 6 fouls in the game on Dwight. Trust him to play well and smart.

Just my two cents.....

Have you watched a single minute of this guy's game since he joined Boston's ranks? The guy is a complete non-factor and gets into foul trouble within minutes. He's not playing like a smart player at all and it shows.

bdreason
05-04-2009, 09:54 PM
I've got Magic in 5.

The only way Boston wins this series is if the Magic just completely collapse and can't hit any of the shots they normally drop (for 4 games).

PP34Deuce
05-04-2009, 10:39 PM
I've got Magic in 5.

The only way Boston wins this series is if the Magic just completely collapse and can't hit any of the shots they normally drop (for 4 games).

This is going to be another 7 game series if you ask me.

Boston lost but have a lot to see positive.

People say the magic dont give it to dwight enough but what i saw was a Raw unpolished freakish athlete with no touch around the rim. He has bad fundamentals. When you are athletic as him you dont let Glen davis block your dunk.

We all marvel at his athletisicm but Howard needs to seriously refine his post skills

Sriracha
05-04-2009, 11:00 PM
This is going to be another 7 game series if you ask me.

Boston lost but have a lot to see positive.

People say the magic dont give it to dwight enough but what i saw was a Raw unpolished freakish athlete with no touch around the rim. He has bad fundamentals. When you are athletic as him you dont let Glen davis block your dunk.

We all marvel at his athletisicm but Howard needs to seriously refine his post skills

:roll: Nope, Howard right now is enough to control the paint against the Celts. He can suck all he wants, just don't let anyone run freely in the paint. 1-nil.

Old Yi Jianlian
05-05-2009, 01:28 AM
We can all thank Stephon "The incurable cancer" Marbury for this game 1 loss and probably for eventually losing this series :rolleyes:.

Kiddlovesnets
05-05-2009, 01:38 AM
Is this thread even necessary? The Celtics have HCA.

andredagiant
05-05-2009, 01:40 AM
Boston can definitely beat Orlando, Ray and Paul needs to get it going, once they do it will be Boston in 7

moe0303
05-05-2009, 01:14 PM

Um, not any more.

The celtics still have a very good chance of winning this series. As they showed in game 1, you can never really count them out. They outlasted an unrelenting Bulls team to advance and if Orlando doesn't remain dilligent for entire games, then they will find themselves in the same situation as the Bulls.

Huey Freeman
05-05-2009, 01:19 PM
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj51/crys77/polar-bear-face-palm_thumbnail1.jpg

veilside23
05-05-2009, 01:53 PM
if celts dont win one in orlando.. could be over in 6 or 5 ... of course in favor of orlando. if the c's win a game in orlando and win game 2.. we are looking at another game 7...

Bean
05-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Too many are counting on Orlando outside shot not going cold, yet they gave up a 28 point-ish lead and Van Gundy hadnt a got damn clue what to do, throwing up bricks one after another. That is ice cold. I woulnt be so quick to count out Boston in this one.

hoopslife
05-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Talent wise Orlando is vastly superior to Boston without KG. This is Orlando's series to lose. There's mismatches all over the court that Orlando can take advantage of. I think Orlando wins in 5 and surprises all of the experts.

Sriracha
05-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Too many are counting on Orlando outside shot not going cold, yet they gave up a 28 point-ish lead and Van Gundy hadnt a got damn clue what to do, throwing up bricks one after another. That is ice cold. I woulnt be so quick to count out Boston in this one.

So damn true!!

PP34Deuce
05-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Rashard Lewis and Hedo are soft. They are good players but they are finesse.

Howard, Pietrus, and Alston are the only guys that have scrappiness to them.

Boston is a team that usually does better after the first game. I expect them to win game 2 and game 3. This series will go 7 games in my opinion.

Dwight Howard can dominate the boards but when they throw him the ball in the post Perkins puts a body on him and suddenly his lack of skill shows.

TheTicketStub
05-06-2009, 03:01 AM
Boston cannot beat the Magic without KG. Kendrick Perkins will foul out against Dwight and Rashard can take Big Baby off the dribble. Magic have too many weapons for the depleted Celtics. Maybe next year Celts!

MMM
05-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Boston cannot beat the Magic without KG. Kendrick Perkins will foul out against Dwight and Rashard can take Big Baby off the dribble. Magic have too many weapons for the depleted Celtics. Maybe next year Celts!

Both Perk and Big Baby did a good job in guarding Howard. Perk rarely gets into foul trouble when going up against Howard in fact he has never fouled out in a game vs Orl. Scalabrine has done a good job defending mobile big man in the past and he seemed to do a good job in guarding Lewis. Both baby and Scalabrine stretched the court bringing Howard out of the paint allowing the Celtics to attack the rim more aggressively. Anyways the Celtics can beat Orl they have their fair share of weapons as well but lets see what occurs from here on out.