PDA

View Full Version : Can the Rockets beat the Lakers?

Pages : [1] 2

niko
05-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Who is with me?

Do I think it's 100%? No. But I really think people are overlooking this matchup, and some of the weaknesses the Lakers have. With Bynum not 100%, the bench advantage with Odom is gone. The injuries to the bench including Farmar not being injured, but ineffective really hurts their depth. The Rockets have not one, but two physical, effective defenders to throw at Kobe.. And the rocket have absolutely no pressure at all, while the Lakers need to not only get to the finals but win it to be succesful.

I think the Rockets pull a huge upset and take this in six.

Again, who is with me?

Note: There is not a thread for the series. So i wrote this in a separate place - I would have put it in the thread if there was one.

Doranku
05-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Lakers have a history of owning the Rockets. Lakers in 4 or 5.

LA_Showtime
05-03-2009, 02:41 PM
The Rockets are very good defensively, but this Laker team is on a different level offensively. If the Rockets hold the Lakers to 90 they're still going to struggle because they can't score, especially in the 4th quarter.

KenneBell
05-03-2009, 02:42 PM
It's possible. But that 4-0 record in the regular season says otherwise. It will be tightly contested for sure though.

Gasol has a great advantage at the 4 spot and I think that's what the Lakers will be taking advantage of.

I also see the Lakers running the Rockets to get Yao tired, same with the Kobe-Gasol pick and roll.

OneMoreSucka
05-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Lakers in 7.

bleedinpurpleTwo
05-03-2009, 02:46 PM
I agree that the Rockets are under rated.
I agree that their front line is equal to that of the Lakers.
I agree that their bench is better than the Lakers.

Lakers have Kobe.

Lakers in 6 or 7.

thejumpa
05-03-2009, 02:47 PM
The Rockets are very good defensively, but this Laker team is on a different level offensively. If the Rockets hold the Lakers to 90 they're still going to struggle because they can't score, especially in the 4th quarter.

As much as I hate the ****ing Lakers...I think your right. The Rockets will play good defense but Von Wafer,Brooks,Scola,Battier.....these guys are going to have to elevate their game a bit. Then again, Portland slaughtered LA and Houston gave it to them so....

Also, Yao's 16/10 numbers aren't going to cut it in this series against Bynum and Pau. Artest should play well and hopefully lock down Kobe....overall it will be a good series...hopefully the Rockets can pull the upset.

jmill
05-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Rockets in 3 obv.

LA_Showtime
05-03-2009, 02:52 PM
As much as I hate the ****ing Lakers...I think your right. The Rockets will play good defense but Von Wafer,Brooks,Scola,Battier.....these guys are going to have to elevate their game a bit. Then again, Portland slaughtered LA and Houston gave it to them so....

Also, Yao's 16/10 numbers aren't going to cut it in this series against Bynum and Pau. Artest should play well and hopefully lock down Kobe....overall it will be a good series...hopefully the Rockets can pull the upset.

?????

People act like the Lakers got their asses handed to them when in reality the season series was 2-2. Who cares if the Lakers can't win at the Rose Garden in the regular season. They've get a pretty good record in the playoffs.

mmsupra
05-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Lakers in 3

jmill
05-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Then again, Portland slaughtered LA and Houston gave it to them so.

Lakers were +9 in point differential against Portland in 4 games this year.

Maybe just a little bit of hyperbole by you there.

All Net
05-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Lakers in 5, rockets have nobody who can take you off the dribble consistantly and have no size up front this should be a quick series.

LA_Showtime
05-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Wow, wouldn't it be cool if the Rockets decided to use T-Mac's expiring contract this summer to make their team deeper? They're already one of the deepest teams in the league.... can you imagine turning McGrady into Nate Robinson + Eddy Curry + Somebody else

bleedinpurpleTwo
05-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Lakers in 5, rockets have nobody who can take you off the dribble consistantly and have no size up front this should be a quick series.

???
Yao 7'4"
Scola 6' 10"

thejumpa
05-03-2009, 02:59 PM
?????

People act like the Lakers got their asses handed to them when in reality the season series was 2-2. Who cares if the Lakers can't win at the Rose Garden in the regular season. They've get a pretty good record in the playoffs.

Okay, maybe slaughtered was a bit harsh. But Portland giving them problems is not. They split the season and seemed to match up well with them. And...you may or may not care that they couldn't win at the Rose Garden but hey, it's a fact. I'm not a fan of either really just stating the obvious. That being said, I think it will be a good series. Houston in 7.....mayyyybbbee 6(6 only if everything I said happens).

Juges8932
05-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Can the Rockets make the series interesting? Yes. Can they beat the Lakers? <10% chance. Will they beat them? No.

SCREWstonRockets
05-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Rockets in 4. Kobe sucks, Pau is soft, Lamar is dumb, Phil looks like the KFC guy, Sasha is a wimp, Luke is Luke and Bynum is overrated. Am I missing anything? Oh yeah, they have Adam Morrison. :lol

All Net
05-03-2009, 03:02 PM
???
Yao 7'4"
Scola 6' 10"

If Scola is 6'10 then I'm 7'2.

dnyk1337
05-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Let us see the match-ups...

Brooks - Fisher (gonna be hard for Fish to guard a much faster PG with really fresh legs)

Artest - Kobe (good match-up... when is the last time a superstar has gone up against arguably 2 of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA?)

Battier - Ariza (not really a great match-up because both are defensive oriented)

Scola - Odom (we all know Odom is going to have a very tough time guarding Scola because he's a very deceiving post scorer - all Scola needs to do is take Odom to his right and that's it)

Yao - Gasol (best match-up... a game of finesse which will be beautiful to see)

Rockets in 7

lilgodfather1
05-03-2009, 03:05 PM
They could beat them, in fact I hope they do but I seriously doubt they will.

KenneBell
05-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Brooks - Fisher (gonna be hard for Fish to guard a much faster PG with really fresh legs)

Artest - Kobe (good match-up... when is the last time a superstar has gone up against arguably 2 of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA?)

Battier - Ariza (not really a great match-up because both are defensive oriented)

Scola - Odom (we all know Odom is going to have a very tough time guarding Scola because he's a very deceiving post scorer - all Scola needs to do is take Odom to his right and that's it)

Rockets in 7
Nice way to simply those matchups.

Allstar24
05-03-2009, 03:12 PM
...no they won't. I don't even need to explain why. The Lakers always give one away so I'll say Lakers in 5.

bleedinpurpleTwo
05-03-2009, 03:12 PM
If Scola is 6'10 then I'm 7'2.

nba lists him at 6'9"...he is just as big as Odom.

1~Gibson~1
05-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Put your balls where your mouth is (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128468&page=13) :D

Al Thornton
05-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Here's how it goes. If Kobe is shutdown Rockets have a chance if not. LAkers.

dnyk1337
05-03-2009, 03:17 PM
...no they won't. I don't even need to explain why. The Lakers always give one away so I'll say Lakers in 5.

Yea:rolleyes: This is the reason people hate Laker fans. Because you have idiots like yourself with the ability to get on the internet and use a keyboard. If only they required a license to post online. That way we could weed out the retards and the psychos.

SCREWstonRockets
05-03-2009, 03:18 PM

I rather have the Rockets shut down his teammates rather than Kobe himself. Lakers have a much better W/L record when he takes less than 20 shots.

Allstar24
05-03-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't need anybody's permission to say what I think. I think the Lakers will beat the Rockets in 5. That is MY opinion because I have confidence in my team.

:rolleyes:

GiveItToBurrito
05-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Houston probably won't win. They've got a lot of really underrated players, especially their big men (just because they're short doesn't mean they aren't effective; all of Houston's power forwards are tough as nails and really strong, just look at their per-40 numbers if you don't believe me), with Scola probably being the most underrated player in the entire western conference, but that's just not going to be enough. What Houston would need to be able to win would be an elite perimeter threat, maybe someone with a strong all-around game who can draw fouls, create off the dribble, and force Kobe to work on defense. Maybe someone who's nickname sounds a little bit like He-Man...

LA in six, even though I'll be rooting for Houston to prove me wrong.

dnyk1337
05-03-2009, 03:23 PM
So say "I don't think they will..." and not "no they won't" as if you're the authority in NBA games. Just face it that your opinion is skewed and twisted. That's the main reason nobody takes you seriously. Learn to make an unbiased opinion from time to time, and then people will start respecting you. Maybe people in RL too.

beasly15
05-03-2009, 03:24 PM
the lakers in 4.

GiveItToBurrito
05-03-2009, 03:28 PM

I agree. Kobe could conceivably shoot them out of a game or two if Battier (not Artest, he can be the Lebron stopper in the finals) can force him into low-percentage shots and limit his ability to create for guys like Ariza, Fisher, and Bynum. Houston will probably win two on their own, just by playing in Houston, so if they can steal one in LA like this and defend their home turf, they could shock the world.

KenneBell
05-03-2009, 03:30 PM
I agree. Kobe could conceivably shoot them out of a game or two if Battier (not Artest, he can be the Lebron stopper in the finals) can force him into low-percentage shots and limit his ability to create for guys like Ariza, Fisher, and Bynum. Houston will probably win two on their own, just by playing in Houston, so if they can steal one in LA like this and defend their home turf, they could shock the world.
Conceivably but really, when's the last time Kobe really shot his team out of a playoff game?

LA for the most part is going to give you a balanced attack even if Kobe shoots ~25 shots.

L8kersfan222
05-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Kobe sucks

Blasphemy!

mbell75
05-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Who is going to shutdown Kobe? Hes dropped 30+ on them twice and 20+ on them the other two times this year. That was against Artest and Battier with every other Rocket rotating to help. Even if Yao can drop 30, Artest can magically drop 20, Brooks can give you 15 and your bench scores 20...thats still only 85 against a team that averages well over 100 a game. Rockts have nowehere near the firepower to outscore the Lakers.

Rockets only prayer is Kobe has 4 really off games and they can hold Gasol, Odom and cast from scoring too much all while scoring 90+ themselves. Not gonna happen, sorry.

Allstar24
05-03-2009, 03:35 PM
So say "I don't think they will..." and not "no they won't" as if you're the authority in NBA games. Just face it that your opinion is skewed and twisted. That's the main reason nobody takes you seriously. Learn to make an unbiased opinion from time to time, and then people will start respecting you. Maybe people in RL too.
You got me all figured out. This is probably the first time you've addressed a post of mine and vice versa. So you don't even know anything about me or my posts or who takes me seriously or what not. Just because I happen to have a Lakers avatar on, you want to generalize and assume that my opionion is biased :oldlol: Even though there are other members in this thread who are saying the exact same thing as me. I get plenty of respect in real life, I don't need any from an internet forum to feel good about myself...but I'm sure you do.

Rockets(T-mac)
05-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I'd be happy if we win a game or 2. With the way we have scoring droughts for long periods of time, I don't see us having chance. That has been our problem for the last 2-3 years, and it still is.

thejumpa
05-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Lakers fans are for the most part jackasses though. A lot I have met don't want to hear that their team could possibly lose which makes it hard to have an intelligent conversation with them. Kobe is the best and they will win no matter what.

All Net
05-03-2009, 03:42 PM
nba lists him at 6'9"...he is just as big as Odom.

No he really isn't Odom is a legit 6'10..Scola is around 6'8 1/2.

All Net
05-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Lakers fans are for the most part jackasses though. A lot I have met don't want to hear that their team could possibly lose which makes it hard to have an intelligent conversation with them. Kobe is the best and they will win no matter what.

Lakers could lose but just not to the Rockets. They don't have the talent or offensive weapons to win a 7 game series against L.A.

SCY
05-03-2009, 03:56 PM
A lot of variables would have to go our way, basically everyone has to have a good offensive series. Most importantly, Ron Artest has to catch fire, don't say he needs to limit his shots because it just isn't happening. He's gone on some torrid streaks this season but it's been a while. Against the Lakers specifically he shot under 16% from 3, a huge reason we dropped those.

One thing I think the Laker fans are making too big of a deal of is that Kobe hasn't had problems against Battier/Artest in the regular season. The playoffs are a completely different animal, he's going to get worn down facing those guys night after night.

KenneBell
05-03-2009, 04:01 PM
One thing I think the Laker fans are making too big of a deal of is that Kobe hasn't had problems against Battier/Artest in the regular season. The playoffs are a completely different animal, he's going to get worn down facing those guys night after night.I'd be more worried about Yao getting worn down than Kobe. The Lakers are going to make it a point to run unlike the Trailblazers.

ElPigto
05-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Scola needs to bring his game and elevate it even more. He needs to go FIBA on these boys.

I don't really want to make any predictions and will take these games one at a time.

majorpolymer
05-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Will the Rockets beat Lakers in a series? No, because they got swept in the regular season.
Will the Nuggets beat Lakers in a series? No, because no one can shutdown Kobe.
Will the Mavericks beat Lakers in a series? No, because Laker's frontline will dominate Dirk+Dampier.
Will the cavaliers beat Lakers in a series? No, because they just have James.

All right, please award L.A. the championship if you think basketball games are such simple.

mbell75
05-03-2009, 04:15 PM
One thing I think the Laker fans are making too big of a deal of is that Kobe hasn't had problems against Battier/Artest in the regular season. The playoffs are a completely different animal, he's going to get worn down facing those guys night after night.

Kobe was on cruise control this season, saving up for the playoffs, he will be just fine. Besides, he has a ton of talented teammates to help out :D Too many weapons for the Rockets to contain. The only clear advantage Rockets have is at C.

ramoer
05-03-2009, 04:20 PM
lol at this thread being stickied. answer is quite simple, it doesnt need further analysis...........NO

SCY
05-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Kobe was on cruise control this season, saving up for the playoffs, he will be just fine. Besides, he has a ton of talented teammates to help out :D Too many weapons for the Rockets to contain. The only clear advantage Rockets have is at C.

I'm just saying that after a few games of being guarded by Artest/Battier, he's not going to be able to make near as many of the tough shots he was making against us in the regular season.

darius15
05-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Lakers in 5.

w00terz
05-03-2009, 08:49 PM
I have a question for Rockets fans:

What happens when Yao goes on the bench? Who is going to guard Gasol? Bynum? Odom? Powell? Mbenga? The Laker's length is going to prevail against the Rockets, even if Kobe has bad games. Offensive firepower is also key. The Rockets cannot match the Lakers on this front.

Lakers in 5.

Jorn444Lakers
05-03-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm still going to take the Lakers in 6, but it would be absurd to think that the Rockets have NO chance. Of course they have a chance, it's the freakin' NBA and upsets do happen.

gyu
05-03-2009, 09:19 PM

What happens when Yao goes on the bench? Who is going to guard Gasol? Bynum? Odom? Powell? Mbenga? The Laker's length is going to prevail against the Rockets, even if Kobe has bad games. Offensive firepower is also key. The Rockets cannot match the Lakers on this front.

Lakers in 5.
Gasol will rape the bench if he isn't sitting out when Yao is out, Bynum (if starting) I predict will get in foul trouble, if not starting I wouldn't worry about him too much.
Landry, Hayes, and Scola, should all be able to hold their own against Odom, Powell, and :lol Mbenga:lol

vinsane01
05-03-2009, 09:55 PM
eh? Lakers front court dominating? this laker fans are thinking like yao is the only front court player in the rockets lineup. Scola is a very good PF, he showed that in the blazer series. Landry and hayes although undersized are decent PF who can guard the likes of odom or bynum. Besides bynum is not playing at his best and odom is more of a jump shooting bigman. The only player who poses a real threat in the front court is pau. If the rockets are able to shut him down, they are going to be okay in this series. Kobe? like some rocket fan said here, they rather have him shoot a ton of shots than the other players play great.

barbaroi
05-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Kobe averaged 28/4/5 a game on 53%, Pau averaged 18/9 during the reg season, and we swept them 4-0. Sorry Rockets fans, Lakers in 5.

Eldrunko247
05-03-2009, 10:14 PM
How good will the Lakers/Nuggets series be?

Splitz77
05-03-2009, 11:52 PM
I think it is going to be a great series. I have the rockets losing in game 7 though.

jason816
05-04-2009, 12:04 AM
the ball is round.
Yes, they can beat the Lakers.

all they have to do is... defend well, and out-score the lakers.

w00terz
05-04-2009, 12:05 AM
How good will the Lakers/Nuggets series be?

It will suck, the Lakers are our kryptonite.

icewill36
05-04-2009, 01:20 AM
this will be an easy series for the lakers as long as they don't get complacent.

if the lakers stay focused this is over in 4

xtn5021
05-04-2009, 01:30 AM

Rockets in 7
Very good analysis. Agreed. :pimp:

Bond007
05-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Very good analysis. Agreed. :pimp:

Oh that was a analysis? my bad :rolleyes:

takeittothehoop
05-04-2009, 02:16 AM
I'm officially on the Rockets bandwagon seeing as in the Sixers are out.
Yao Ming FTW!!!:rockon:

Seriously I'll take the Lakers in 6.:confusedshrug:

jason816
05-04-2009, 02:20 AM

Lakers in 5.

You are acting like Pau Gasol, Bynum...etc. has unlimited energy and can play 48mins a game...

Powell, Mbenga...?! you acting like they are really some offensive firepower... yes, they have size, but you seriously think they can out-perform Landry and Chuck? i say they are even. actually, i think Landry will kick their butt.
besides, i hardly see them getting heavy mins. well, they have 12 fouls to give on Yao tho.

amfirst
05-04-2009, 02:25 AM
People fail to see that team defense locks Kobe down or his shot is off. No one player can shut him down. The thought of Yao being the 2nd line of defender once Kobe gets around Battier or Artest, I doubt the Rockets can stop him.

amfirst
05-04-2009, 02:34 AM
If the stars align correctly than yea maybe the Rockets get in some really lucky shots in the 4th and beat the Lakers, but it is a slim chance yet not impossible.

SCY
05-04-2009, 02:53 AM
People fail to see that team defense locks Kobe down or his shot is off. No one player can shut him down. The thought of Yao being the 2nd line of defender once Kobe gets around Battier or Artest, I doubt the Rockets can stop him.

Stop, he isn't God. If this series had happened last year's playoffs everyone would be talking about how Battier had shut him down in the regular season. Just so happens Kobe has gotten the better of the Rockets D this season. To act like it's etched in stone he will do the same this series on the basis of a few regular season matchups is silly.

TearDrop
05-04-2009, 03:29 AM
eh? Lakers front court dominating? this laker fans are thinking like yao is the only front court player in the rockets lineup. Scola is a very good PF, he showed that in the blazer series. Landry and hayes although undersized are decent PF who can guard the likes of odom or bynum. Besides bynum is not playing at his best and odom is more of a jump shooting bigman. The only player who poses a real threat in the front court is pau. If the rockets are able to shut him down, they are going to be okay in this series. Kobe? like some rocket fan said here, they rather have him shoot a ton of shots than the other players play great.

After the allstar break, Scola is consistently performing better than most power forwards in the league. Check his stat post allstar break and look at his points and rebounds. Landry is a step slower after the shooting. Both of them combined contribute alot of points and rebounds for the Rockets from the PF position.

mbell75
05-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Scola is a good PF? :oldlol: Hes average at best. If Phil decides to play Bynum, Gasol and Odom at the same time, they will dominate the Rockets in the paint and on the boards.

apesta
05-04-2009, 03:43 AM
As a Rocket fan, i really want this team to go far since they have made it out of the first round. But they will have to play some perfect basketball to beat the Lakers. I think Yao will average more points in this series because i dont think Lakers will double Yao as much as Blazers did. Its really up to his teammates to contribute both defense and offensively. Rockets have big problem with having droughts late in games. This is the biggest problem they need to adjust or else Lakers will kill them down the stretch. Most importantly is if Battier and Artest can slow down Kobe, then we can pull an upset. Artest just needs to control himself and not try to piss Kobe off like last time.

If Rockets are to win this series, i think it will be 7 games for sure.

brantonli
05-04-2009, 04:06 AM
I agree that the Rockets are under rated.
I agree that their front line is equal to that of the Lakers.
I agree that their bench is better than the Lakers.

Lakers have Kobe.

Lakers in 6 or 7.

I would be extremely, extremely pleased with a 7 game series. Although the Rockets just aren't good enough offensively to defeat the Lakers (they are sure to front Yao, and Gasol/Bynum are more athletic than Pryzbilla so they can front more effectively and for longer). Hopefully Brooks won't get exposed on his defence, but the biggest worry is between Artest-Kobe. I wager tha in the first game Kobe absolutely destroys Artest for what he said and aims for at least 40 points (since Artest said nobody but Roy dropped 40 on him).

Artest really needs to shut up.

Scola is a good PF? Hes average at best. If Phil decides to play Bynum, Gasol and Odom at the same time, they will dominate the Rockets in the paint and on the boards.

You underestimate Scola on offense. He was voted as MVP twice in the bets European league for a reason.
Plus, let me break down how Scola did against Portland for you: Yao was being fronted, but he usually had a 2nd defender lurking behind him so they couldn't do a lob pass. In essence, he was 'double-teamed' (with 2 defenders concentrating on him). This leaves Scola completely wide open, or one of the Rockets three point shooters.

Now think of the Lakers. In order to counter Scola, you must (of course) put a man on him, but it also means going away from the very effective fronting of Yao, so while you might argue that they would 'dominate the paint', well Scola doesn't score in the paint, he prefers shooting 18 foot jumpers and the very occasional post up and hook shot. Scola is not as muscular, or athletic as any of the Laker's big men, but he's as crafty as hell and hustles with the best of them.

Mrofir
05-04-2009, 04:11 AM
This houston team with Tmac of a few years ago would take the Lakers to 7 and possibly win.

Doh.

GMAC
05-04-2009, 04:11 AM
Scola is a good PF? :oldlol: Hes average at best. If Phil decides to play Bynum, Gasol and Odom at the same time, they will dominate the Rockets in the paint and on the boards.

Average PFs don't win the FIBA World Championships MVP trophy

jason816
05-04-2009, 05:15 AM
As a Rocket fan, i really want this team to go far since they have made it out of the first round. But they will have to play some perfect basketball to beat the Lakers. I think Yao will average more points in this series because i dont think Lakers will double Yao as much as Blazers did. Its really up to his teammates to contribute both defense and offensively. Rockets have big problem with having droughts late in games. This is the biggest problem they need to adjust or else Lakers will kill them down the stretch. Most importantly is if Battier and Artest can slow down Kobe, then we can pull an upset. Artest just needs to control himself and not try to piss Kobe off like last time.

If Rockets are to win this series, i think it will be 7 games for sure.

good point.

I hope Lakers is gonna play Yao with Bynum 1on1.. Bynum will be in foul trouble, take a good look at Blazers. When the refs cut the racist blood in them and start officiating the game straight up, Yao is deadly.

Let's go Rockets! steal Game 1 from LA!

raptorfan_dr07
05-04-2009, 05:16 AM
It's going to be really tough for Houston to beat the Lakers although they have a shot. If they do win this series, I don't see them winning in anything less than 7. Houston needs to establish Yao early(like Game 1 in Portland) and keep going to him all game long. Nobody on the Lakers can stop him. He's a good passer and being dominant early on will get easy shots for the other guys like Shane Battier and Luis Scola(who is excellent at the mid range game). Ron Artest has to bring his A game as well. No forced shots, no dumb threes, he has take advantage of his size and get to the rim. I expect Trevor Ariza to be matched up with him and Ron's too big for him. Houston's also a solid team defensively, much better than Utah. If they struggle to score, they've got to rely on their defense to limit LA and keep them in the game. Portland's a solid offensive team and Houston did a great job keeping them under 100 points most of the series.

That being said, Lakers in 6. I just think LA is too big and too deep for Houston. The Rockets could have really used Deke in this series.

Lamar Doom
05-04-2009, 05:45 AM
Rockets are a good squad but they're not beating the lakers this series because the lakers are better and have home court. The Lakers are going to win the NBA championship this year and you should all start getting used to that idea. We're just too good, too deep, and have too many options in a season with no other "great" team.

NuggetsFan
05-04-2009, 05:57 AM
I don't think so, but I really hope they do or atleast push it to 6\7.

Looking forward to Battier\Artest guarding Kobe.

ronnymac
05-04-2009, 06:24 AM
They have the size advantage, but we have the better defenders and scrappy players . i dont expect a high scoring series, but i expect alot loose ball scraps and lots of off/on the ball physical contact.may the best team win. GO YOU MIGHTY ROCKETS!

shawbryant
05-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Lakers in 3
End this thread with this answer.:lol

greymatter
05-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Phil Jackson won't let the Lakers fall asleep long enough for the Rockets to steal the series. If he's got them playing hard and focused, the Rockets will be lucky to make it to a game 6.

sic
05-04-2009, 09:17 AM
If kobe continues the way he has been playing , getting his team mates involved, lakers will win in 5 or 6

SCREWstonRockets
05-04-2009, 11:11 AM
If kobe continues the way he has been playing , getting his team mates involved, lakers will win in 5 or 6

He won't. Ron is going to keep talking smack to Kobe which will turn Kobe into a one man show and shoot his team out the series. Or, at least what I want to happen. :D

All Net
05-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Average PFs don't win the FIBA World Championships MVP trophy

Please don't use european success to try and prove your point in the NBA playoffs.

wTFaMonkey
05-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Please don't use european success to try and prove your point in the NBA playoffs.

who said anything about european success?? :confusedshrug:

All Net
05-04-2009, 12:26 PM
who said anything about european success?? :confusedshrug:

Gmac did about how average power forwards don't win fiba MVP's. You can't use that as a point to prove how good a player is in the NBA. Not that Scola isn't good because he is but using his stats in the NBA would be a better sign of how good he is not using what he did at the worlds.

KobeRules24
05-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Rockets are a good squad but they're not beating the lakers this series because the lakers are better and have home court. The Lakers are going to win the NBA championship this year and you should all start getting used to that idea. We're just too good, too deep, and have too many options in a season with no other "great" team.

Amen :cheers:

poido123
05-04-2009, 12:50 PM

Lakers are exposed at PG too, however can bring on Farmar if Brooks is giving the speed burn on Fisher...Basketball has a way of balancing up when the game becomes more of a dogfight than a skill display...What I'm saying is, hustle and teamwork win playoffs, skill talent wins regular season...If the Lakers are not on their game, Rockets will beat them, they have some tough muthaf**kers who are willing to ruffle a few feathers, I would like to see Odom, and his jellybaby crew shape up when this happens, because the likes of Artest and Scola are going to be in their face...Kobe will be ready, but will his crew be there to back him up, when things get rough...:ohwell:

redhonda76
05-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Let Kobe shoot all he wants, this way the Laker offense will become stagnant. The key is not to shut down Kobe, but to shut down Gasol instead. Keep the ball out of Gasol's hands because he's an excellent passer as well. Keep attacking Gasol into foul trouble and limit his minutes.

brandonman
05-04-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm still going to take the Lakers in 6, but it would be absurd to think that the Rockets have NO chance. Of course they have a chance, it's the freakin' NBA and upsets do happen.

THANKS YOU!! :applause:

While I agree the odds highly favor the Lakers to win this, I just wanted ONE SINGLE Laker fan to acknowledge there is and always will be a possibility of an Upset.

No matter what the reason is.
Injury -
Suspension -
Miracle Shot -
Just Down Right Outplayed -

Again, all the above Highly Unlikely but , at the same time, its still POSSIBLE.

KobeRules24
05-04-2009, 01:33 PM
THANKS YOU!! :applause:

While I agree the odds highly favor the Lakers to win this, I just wanted ONE SINGLE Laker fan to acknowledge there is and always will be a possibility of an Upset.

No matter what the reason is.
Injury -
Suspension -
Miracle Shot -
Just Down Right Outplayed -

Again, all the above Highly Unlikely but , at the same time, its still POSSIBLE.

Everything is possible it's just unlikely. It would take more than 1 of those things you mentioned for the rockets to defeat the lakers, they are that good.

brandonman
05-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Ron Artest Thoughts:

“I can see us playing better. The first time we played them T-Mac was hurt,” Artest said, referring to Tracy McGrady. “One time we played them at home I didn’t play. The next time we played them in L.A. we just got rid of Rafer (Alston), a new team. The last time we played them in L.A., that was a good game. We finally had our team, but they still got us in the fourth quarter.”

The Rockets were all but written off when McGrady had season-ending knee surgery in February.

“I think we’ll do it now,” Artest said. “It wasn’t only the Lakers, it was also Memphis and Minnesota, Dallas, Chicago where we didn’t execute in the fourth.”

Rick Adelmans Thoughts:

"They really took it to us in the fourth quarter,” coach Rick Adelman said. “We were in every game at the end of three and the fourth quarter they dominated. They really turned it up a notch. Usually in all four games Kobe really got aggressive. So it’s pretty constant.

brandonman
05-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Everything is possible it's just unlikely. It would take more than 1 of those things you mentioned for the rockets to defeat the lakers, they are that good.

I agree, The Lakers are a Much Better Team.

It would take a Complete Meltdown by the Lakers one Game at a Time.

AND, Even if by some crazy chance the Rockets pull this out, I would STILL SAY THE LAKERS ARE A MUCH BETTER TEAM.

KobeRules24
05-04-2009, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=brandonman]Ron Artest Thoughts:

KobeRules24
05-04-2009, 01:39 PM
I agree, The Lakers are a Much Better Team.

It would take a Complete Meltdown by the Lakers one Game at a Time.

AND, Even if by some crazy chance the Rockets pull this out, I would STILL SAY THE LAKERS ARE A MUCH BETTER TEAM.

Props to you my friend, you're a real fan of the game. i don't want the rockets to win but may the best team win!!! :applause:

Grinder
05-04-2009, 01:49 PM
This should be one of the most interesting second round series if the Rockets play how they're capable off. The one thing the Lakers have over most teams is incredible depth in their offensive arsenal, however the Rockets are one of the few teams that are capable defensively of slowing them down.

Aaron Brooks and Derek Fisher should be a fairly even matchup, both can knock down the 3, while Fisher has the edge defensively and a huge advantage with regards to playoff experience while Brooks is more dangerous offensively with his superior ability to weave through defenders and quickness. The Rockets rely far more on production from Brooks than the Lakers do from Fisher, however. Advantage: Rockets

Shane Battier defends Kobe as well as anyone in the league but as we know, it's not feasible and realistic to expect anyone to lock down players like Kobe, Lebron and Wade. With Battier, the Rockets hope to force Kobe into difficult jump shots with a hand in his face, take away his ability to create for his teammates and lower his field goal percentage, which he is certainly capable of doing. I suspect we'll see Artest on Kobe as well. Battier isn't going to do much offensively other than knock down the open three and throw entry passes to Yao. Advantage: Lakers

Artest and Ariza will be a matchup with two of the better perimeter defenders in the league. Both guys can knock down an open three, however Artest is more capable of taking his man off the dribble and a much bigger threat offensively. The one thing that the Rockets will have to worry about is if Artest becomes too volatile and tries to carry the load offensively and forces up low percentage shots in the process. The only place Ariza can really hurt the Rockets is in transition or if they decide to sag off him offensively. Advantage: Rockets

Scola and Pau will not be as one sided as people think. While Pau has a big height and length advantage, Scola has always played him tough internationally. Scola has the strength to push Pau off the blocks and footspeed to deny his drives to the basket. While Pau will get his 20 points and 8 or so rebounds, Scola won't make it easy for him and will make Pau work defensively. Scola will have to be a big factor in this series for the Rockets to have a chance at winning. Odom and Scola will probably match up several times too and it will be a mismatch at both ends because there is no way Odom can defend Scola on the block but on the other end, it'll be very difficult for Scola to keep up with Odom and his superior ball handling and speed. Advantage: Lakers

Yao is the best center in the west and there's nothing Bynum can really do to hurt him. Bynum will probably be in consistent foul trouble and we'll end up seeing Pau defend Yao quite often. Yao's got the advantage in both matchups but Pau will be a difficult defensive assignment with his quick first step and mid range game. Advantage: Rockets

The bench is where the Lakers will enjoy a real advantage, the Rockets will primarily count on Von Wafer and Carl Landry to shoulder the load offensively while Kyle Lowry will be at the controls. Put that against the dangerous up tempo attack of Shannon Brown, Sasha Vujacic, Lamar Odom/Andrew Bynum and that could spell trouble for the Rockets.

hotsizzle
05-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Anyone who thinks the Rockets have a chance is delusional or just a hardcore homer. Sorry..this is not gonna go to 7 either. Lakers in 6 max. Battier is really the only effective defender on Kobe..as good as Artest is defensively, Kobe owns him. But what it comes down to is that the Rockets simply dont have the firepower to score with LA.

Lakers in 5.

KenneBell
05-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Anyone who thinks the Rockets have a chance is delusional or just a hardcore homer.
ANYTHING IS POSIBBLLLLLLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/2590779946_1abddbde40.jpg

:oldlol:

That being said I have the Lakers in 6.

imlmf
05-04-2009, 02:29 PM
no chance in hell
lakers in 6 max

brandonman
05-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Anyone who thinks the Rockets have a chance is delusional or just a hardcore homer. Sorry..this is not gonna go to 7 either. Lakers in 6 max. Battier is really the only effective defender on Kobe..as good as Artest is defensively, Kobe owns him. But what it comes down to is that the Rockets simply dont have the firepower to score with LA.

Lakers in 5.

How about just a Hardcore Fan,

I will say that Anybody who thinks the Lakers Losing is IMPOSSIBLE, is delusional or Just a hardcore homer.

Ive said it before, If the Rockets pull this out, It would be an upset and Crazy, BUT I HAVE SEEN CRAZIER

brandonman
05-04-2009, 02:32 PM
no chance in hell
lakers in 6 max

Thats great you think Lakers in 6, but by all means if you wanna share your thoughts, share your thoughts, back up ur theory.

Why Lakers in six?? Why not 4? Why not 7?

What makes you think 6?

vert48
05-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Yes, the Rockets can beat the Lakers.
Will Yao and Skola outplay Gasol and Bynum?
Will Artest outplay Odom?
Will Battier outplay Ariza?
Will Brooks outplay outplay Fisher?
Will Kobe play team ball, or KobeBall when he gets frustrated?

This should be a fun series to watch.

Kobe24
05-04-2009, 03:24 PM
This is pretty much decided. Lakers already won. Yes the Rockets are good defensively but offensively? Who do they really have? Artest is a chucker. Battier is good for 10 points max. Yao 25-30, Wafer is a wild card.. Brooks is too. Their offense is decent while the Lakers is probably the best in the L.

All Net
05-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Why is this still a sticky? infact why was it a sticky in the first place? the only sticky threads should be for the game threads. It's not like this topic was going to slide down the page.

brandonman
05-04-2009, 03:51 PM
lmao @ artest giving excuses, we swept the season series. end of story

Coach Phil Jackson's Thoughts:

Lakers coach Phil Jackson has been impressed with the way Yao has increased his stamina to play more minutes. In four regular-season games against the Lakers, Yao averaged 15.8 points, 10.2 rebounds and 3.2 blocks while playing 33.8 minutes per game.

The Lakers swept the season series against the Rockets for the first time since the 2001-02 season, winning by an average of 13 points. During those four contests, the Lakers averaged 102.8 points while holding the Rockets to 89.8 points.

That means little to the Lakers, who are aware that regular-season results don

oh the horror
05-04-2009, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=brandonman]Coach Phil Jackson's Thoughts:

Lakers coach Phil Jackson has been impressed with the way Yao has increased his stamina to play more minutes. In four regular-season games against the Lakers, Yao averaged 15.8 points, 10.2 rebounds and 3.2 blocks while playing 33.8 minutes per game.

The Lakers swept the season series against the Rockets for the first time since the 2001-02 season, winning by an average of 13 points. During those four contests, the Lakers averaged 102.8 points while holding the Rockets to 89.8 points.

That means little to the Lakers, who are aware that regular-season results don

NoGunzJustSkillz
05-04-2009, 05:12 PM
off espn.com

lakers799 (5/4/2009 at 4:48 PM) I would say Rockets in 4 If and only if there were some kind of handicap where Dj Mbenga, Sun Yue, Josh Powell, Jordan Farmar, and Adam Morrison had to be given at least 45 minutes per game.

rezznor
05-04-2009, 05:25 PM
This should be one of the most interesting second round series if the Rockets play how they're capable off. The one thing the Lakers have over most teams is incredible depth in their offensive arsenal, however the Rockets are one of the few teams that are capable defensively of slowing them down.

Aaron Brooks and Derek Fisher should be a fairly even matchup, both can knock down the 3, while Fisher has the edge defensively and a huge advantage with regards to playoff experience while Brooks is more dangerous offensively with his superior ability to weave through defenders and quickness. The Rockets rely far more on production from Brooks than the Lakers do from Fisher, however. Advantage: Rockets

Shane Battier defends Kobe as well as anyone in the league but as we know, it's not feasible and realistic to expect anyone to lock down players like Kobe, Lebron and Wade. With Battier, the Rockets hope to force Kobe into difficult jump shots with a hand in his face, take away his ability to create for his teammates and lower his field goal percentage, which he is certainly capable of doing. I suspect we'll see Artest on Kobe as well. Battier isn't going to do much offensively other than knock down the open three and throw entry passes to Yao. Advantage: Lakers

Artest and Ariza will be a matchup with two of the better perimeter defenders in the league. Both guys can knock down an open three, however Artest is more capable of taking his man off the dribble and a much bigger threat offensively. The one thing that the Rockets will have to worry about is if Artest becomes too volatile and tries to carry the load offensively and forces up low percentage shots in the process. The only place Ariza can really hurt the Rockets is in transition or if they decide to sag off him offensively. Advantage: Rockets

Scola and Pau will not be as one sided as people think. While Pau has a big height and length advantage, Scola has always played him tough internationally. Scola has the strength to push Pau off the blocks and footspeed to deny his drives to the basket. While Pau will get his 20 points and 8 or so rebounds, Scola won't make it easy for him and will make Pau work defensively. Scola will have to be a big factor in this series for the Rockets to have a chance at winning. Odom and Scola will probably match up several times too and it will be a mismatch at both ends because there is no way Odom can defend Scola on the block but on the other end, it'll be very difficult for Scola to keep up with Odom and his superior ball handling and speed. Advantage: Lakers

Yao is the best center in the west and there's nothing Bynum can really do to hurt him. Bynum will probably be in consistent foul trouble and we'll end up seeing Pau defend Yao quite often. Yao's got the advantage in both matchups but Pau will be a difficult defensive assignment with his quick first step and mid range game. Advantage: Rockets

The bench is where the Lakers will enjoy a real advantage, the Rockets will primarily count on Von Wafer and Carl Landry to shoulder the load offensively while Kyle Lowry will be at the controls. Put that against the dangerous up tempo attack of Shannon Brown, Sasha Vujacic, Lamar Odom/Andrew Bynum and that could spell trouble for the Rockets.

great un bias analysis. as much as i want my rockets to win, i believe the lakers are a better team and wont be surprised if they win the series convincingly. they only way we are going to win is if the lakers play us too overconfidently and make stupid mistakes, but i dont think this team will do that. these lakers are mature enough to come in and take care of business every game.

magi
05-04-2009, 05:29 PM
It's not a question of Houston being able to keep up with LA offensively, it's about them becoming the greatest defensive team that we've ever seen and Kobe not feeding his personal agenda against Artest. We already know LA are on a whole other level offensively. People think Houston has a chance because they beat an overrrated Portland team who I was praying would advance to the 2nd round so LA could smack them around. I said the playoffs is another animal and the inexperienced Portland team proved that point for me.

LA in 5, possibly 6. The X-factor is Aaron Brooks, IMO.
This kid could have a huge series. LA needs Bynum to play Yao well, he is Houston's only consistently legit threat offensively.

EllEffEll
05-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Of course they can. . . . *<cough1981cough>*

The Lakers never saw it coming :banghead:

OldSchoolBBall
05-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Seriously, Houston has about a 10-15% chance of winning this series imo. Everything has to go right for them to win, PLUS Kobe has to have an off series. Not gonna happen. I say LA in 5, 6 games max.

eliteballer
05-04-2009, 08:50 PM
:oldlol: The Rockets are as good as most of the Knick teams Jordan faced yet LOCO only gives them a miniscule chance of beating LA:rolleyes:

BallersTalk
05-04-2009, 08:51 PM
No.

Carbine
05-04-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm excited to see Kobe go against two of the top defenders of this era with a 7'6 presence on the back end for a series.

TMAC-RAPTORS
05-04-2009, 08:58 PM
moved

LA_Showtime
05-04-2009, 09:16 PM
I don't see it happening. The Rockets would have to play 4 perfect games, which isn't happening. Even if they play great defensively, they're still going to struggle scoring 90-95 points.

OldSchoolBBall
05-04-2009, 09:17 PM
:oldlol: The Rockets are as good as most of the Knick teams Jordan faced yet LOCO only gives them a miniscule chance of beating LA:rolleyes:

Where the fukc did that come from? :oldlol: That's not true, btw.

BirdNasty
05-05-2009, 01:26 AM
I like what I see from the Rockets.....

Go Nuggets!!

Dro
05-05-2009, 01:29 AM
GOD I can't stand Laker fans........A bunch of arrogant ****ers who think the Lakers are the greatest team of all time and can't be touched......Sweep my azz......

Kiddlovesnets
05-05-2009, 01:33 AM
Now the question should be: Can the Rockets sweep the Lakers?

andredagiant
05-05-2009, 01:35 AM
Who is with me?

Do I think it's 100%? No. But I really think people are overlooking this matchup, and some of the weaknesses the Lakers have. With Bynum not 100%, the bench advantage with Odom is gone. The injuries to the bench including Farmar not being injured, but ineffective really hurts their depth. The Rockets have not one, but two physical, effective defenders to throw at Kobe.. And the rocket have absolutely no pressure at all, while the Lakers need to not only get to the finals but win it to be succesful.

Again, who is with me?

Note: There is not a thread for the series. So i wrote this in a separate place - I would have put it in the thread if there was one.

I'm with you, rockets can win this, I don't know if it will be in six, I hope it does but I think it will go to 7. Props to Yao for being the man to come back from pain and help rockets win the game!

andredagiant
05-05-2009, 01:43 AM
[QUOTE=magi

NuggetsFan
05-05-2009, 01:46 AM
Hmm I didn't think the Lakers were going to sweep the Rockets, but I'd be lying if I said I thought the Rockets had a legit shot at beating them.

After this game I can admit I was way off, still think the Lakers are going to win but this win tonight was huge for the Rockets.

mbell75
05-05-2009, 01:49 AM

:roll: Just stop now, you are retarded.

NuggetsFan
05-05-2009, 01:51 AM

I don't see that happening but I've been wrong before:eek:

Dro
05-05-2009, 01:51 AM
:roll: Just stop now, you are retarded.
He's not anymore retarded than you Laker fans acting like the Rockets are some YMCA team that the Lakers are going to blow out every game on their way to a sweep...:oldlol:

mbell75
05-05-2009, 01:54 AM
He's not anymore retarded than you Laker fans acting like the Rockets are some YMCA team that the Lakers are going to blow out every game on their way to a sweep...:oldlol:

I said lakers in 6 dip****, go back and look it up.

Kiddlovesnets
05-05-2009, 01:56 AM
I said lakers in 6 dip****, go back and look it up.

Are you gonna say Lakers in 7 when the Rockets are up 3-0?

mbell75
05-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Are you gonna say Lakers in 7 when the Rockets are up 3-0?

lakers will be up 2-1 after three games. I would make an avy bet with you but your current one is so lame, it makes me laugh.

Kiddlovesnets
05-05-2009, 02:00 AM

lakers will be up 2-1 after three games. I would make an avy bet with you but your current one is so lame, it makes me laugh.

lol I doubt you would say Lakers in 9 when the Rockets already advance with a 4-0 victory...

jason816
05-05-2009, 02:26 AM

this idiot thought FIBA = European Ball...?
seriously, it takes only a few seconds to google the meaning of FIBA World Championship.... as a matter of fact, don't you see the word "World Championship"?

oh and by the way, Scola won the MVP award playing for his country, Argentina, which is nowhere near Europe.

All Net
05-05-2009, 02:34 AM
this idiot thought FIBA = European Ball...?
seriously, it takes only a few seconds to google the meaning of FIBA World Championship.... as a matter of fact, don't you see the word "World Championship"?

oh and by the way, Scola won the MVP award playing for his country, Argentina, which is nowhere near Europe.

No moron, I was well aware of what it meant. Hense why I stated so in the post after that why you shouldn't base how good a player is due to how well he played during the worlds.

Allstar24
05-05-2009, 02:59 AM
Andrew Bynum needs to go...back to the bench. We're better off when we start Odom alongside Gasol.

Roundball_Rock
05-05-2009, 03:00 AM
I wonder what Stern and ESPN are thinking now that the Rockets threw a monkey wrench into the Lebron vs. Kobe finals fantasy. :roll:

mbell75
05-05-2009, 03:09 AM
I wonder what Stern and ESPN are thinking now that the Rockets threw a monkey wrench into the Lebron vs. Kobe finals fantasy. :roll:

Because they win one game? They still have to win 3 more and thats not going to happen so it really doesnt matter.

Grinder
05-05-2009, 03:14 AM

Bolded are what I thought were key for the Rockets win tonight. Brooks stepped up in a big way, Scola didn't perform as well as expected and they'll need him to have a shot at game 2.

Roundball_Rock
05-05-2009, 03:25 AM
Because they win one game? They still have to win 3 more and thats not going to happen so it really doesnt matter.

The one win shattered the widespread assumption that this was a coronation for the Lakers in the West. The Lakers are still the favorite to win the series but them getting out of the West is not a lock by any means. If they get past Houston they have to likely face a red hot Denver team. LA vs. Cleveland is still the most likely finals pairing but it is not preordained as, say, Chicago vs. Utah in 1997.

mbell75
05-05-2009, 03:46 AM
The one win shattered the widespread assumption that this was a coronation for the Lakers in the West.

To whom? The idiots who thought this was going to be a sweep? Most logical NBA fans knew this was going to be a 6-7 game series. I have the lakers winning in 6, so that means I have the Rockets winning 2, they won tonight. That doesnt shatter jack **** to most. Lakers are still winning this series.

No.45
05-05-2009, 03:49 AM
I've been telling everybody that the Rockets have the best chance to beat the lakers next to the Cavs. They play real good defense. Gotta appreciate all the hustle plays. Like Lowry coming back to take a charge on one of the fast breaks. The way they clog the lane is also great.

Yao is a beast. (when healthy).

JustinJDW
05-05-2009, 04:44 AM
Yeah, I do think it's possible for the Rockets to win this Series. They showed tonight that they came to play, and I am convinced that they mean buisness.

Now I do still think the Lakers are more than capable of still winning this Series, but it will just be harder than most people origionally thought. I think this Series will go 6 or 7 Games to the Lakers still. However, if the Rockets loose to the Lakers by less than 5 points in Game 2, than I think the Rockets can take this.

artest 93
05-05-2009, 04:49 AM
It's still possible for the Lakers to win in 5. That's the bottom line.

raptorfan_dr07
05-05-2009, 05:30 AM
It's still possible for the Lakers to win in 5. That's the bottom line.

Highly unlikely though. I wouldn't be surprised if LA is down 3-1, with their only win coming in Game 2. Then again it could easily be tied 2-2. One thing's for sure though, Houston is NOT losing both games at home(3 and 4). The Rockets really smacked them hard by winning Game 1.

Mrofir
05-05-2009, 06:17 AM
They could, and here's why:

"Brandon Roy ... that comment was made because I really enjoy watching young fellas in the NBA," Artest said. "And I really enjoy just how talented they are. I mean, I'm 29, these guys come in, Lebron came in, I guess he's five years younger than me, these guys are coming in getting MVPs, playing great and leading their teams. I look up to that. I'm finished looking up to Kobe. That was a couple of years ago. There's young guys in there to look up to now. Like Brandon Roys and LeBron Jameses and Dwyane Wades, you know? O.J. Mayos ... I would like to give those guys all the confidence in the world, I want to see them do well."

That is genius. Psychological warfare at it's absolute pinnacle. He's putting ALL the pressure on Kobe.. and bringing up Kobe's absolute worst nightmare.. that his career will end before he has a chance to be "the man" on a championship team; that he will be surpassed by the young talents of the league. It feels like yesterday that Kobe was just coming out of high school, that it looked like he would win 8 championships in his career. I expect a hell of a series. NBA Playoffs just got interesting.

Dro
05-05-2009, 06:20 AM
I love Ron Artest.......

ronnymac
05-05-2009, 06:23 AM
They could, and here's why:

"Brandon Roy ... that comment was made because I really enjoy watching young fellas in the NBA," Artest said. "And I really enjoy just how talented they are. I mean, I'm 29, these guys come in, Lebron came in, I guess he's five years younger than me, these guys are coming in getting MVPs, playing great and leading their teams. I look up to that. I'm finished looking up to Kobe. That was a couple of years ago. There's young guys in there to look up to now. Like Brandon Roys and LeBron Jameses and Dwyane Wades, you know? O.J. Mayos ... I would like to give those guys all the confidence in the world, I want to see them do well."

That is genius. Psychological warfare at it's absolute pinnacle. He's putting ALL the pressure on Kobe.. and bringing up Kobe's absolute worst nightmare.. that his career will end before he has a chance to be "the man" on a championship team; that he will be surpassed by the young talents of the league. It feels like yesterday that Kobe was just coming out of high school, that it looked like he would win 8 championships in his career. I expect a hell of a series. NBA Playoffs just got interesting.
Ron is 1 of my fave players for a reason.

Meticode
05-05-2009, 06:29 AM
I've been telling everybody that the Rockets have the best chance to beat the lakers next to the Cavs. They play real good defense. Gotta appreciate all the hustle plays. Like Lowry coming back to take a charge on one of the fast breaks. The way they clog the lane is also great.

Yao is a beast. (when healthy).

I've been saying the same thing so I totally agree with you there. They have the best mis-matches in any possible series they could play and more importantly they have two different defenders that can give Kobe problems.

Bynum is having trouble with Yao (so far) because Yao can step out for the jumper. A 7-6 center who is one of the best mid-range shooters in the game. Scola plays up to Gasol's potential when Yao is the game because Gasol doesn't want to go inside while Yao is down there. He's stuck to shooting jumpers (which he missed in game 1). Artest is way too strong for Ariza. Battier is just a smart annoyance for Bryant. Bryant is still going to get his points, but he got them inefficiently in game one. Fisher can't keep Brooks in front of him.

I feel the X factor in this series is Brooks. If he can have a solid series like he's capable of doing, the Rockets might upset the Lakers.

gcfeldma
05-05-2009, 06:45 AM
As displayed tonight, it is entirely possible. The Rockets are deep, athletic and can really stop and rotate well on the defensive end. They are a team that could make a serious run at it, although I'm loving Denver.

Check out this funny blog. Great shout-out to T-Mac.

http://popcornmuscles.com/2009/04/gilbert/

Duncan21formvp
05-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Who is with me?

Again, who is with me?

Rockets will hang with them.

Mamba
05-05-2009, 08:30 AM
i never used to be a huge artest fan, i always admired him and the way he handled his business except for the brawl at the palace.

he has really shown that he isn't all that of a retard, he actually is getting into kobes head by the looks of it. kobe took 31 shots tonight, to try and shut artest up. and artest is absolutely loving the fact that he did get into his head..for game 1

after this game, and what he has shown, ive really grown to appreciate and admire ron artest, and with my birthday being next week, ill take the money i get and go buy an artest jersey. even if they lose the series because i will no that guy is smart, one of the best defensive players ever, and is all packaged up into a little psychos brain.

ron artest u are the man!

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gFq8w80qL3SZ/610x.jpg

and he is so pointing at kobe in this pic

niko
05-05-2009, 09:02 AM
That is ONE.

brandonman
05-05-2009, 10:34 AM
AS I said 10 times before game 1, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course the Rockets can beat the Lakers, They did last night.

Oh, and again, for those who argued with me, The Regular Season Means Nothing, Even Coach Phil Jackson said that!

brandonman
05-05-2009, 10:35 AM

Downtown LA
05-05-2009, 12:41 PM
The Lakers need to bench Derek Fisher. He wasn't hitting his shots in game one and he's a liability on defense. Brooks absolutely killed him in the second half.

What the **** is Phil Jackson doing with our rotation? We played 11 guys last night... lol

lolwut
05-05-2009, 01:14 PM
AND this is a Rocket team with $20m worth of nba talent completely out of the lineup.

mbell75
05-05-2009, 03:14 PM
One thing's for sure though, Houston is NOT losing both games at home(3 and 4).

How are you so certain? lakers had the best road record this year and were the only team to beat the Cavs in Cleveland. Plus, they have a history of winning in Houston. They can easily win games 3 and 4 there.

artest 93
05-05-2009, 03:39 PM

How are you so certain? lakers had the best road record this year and were the only team to beat the Cavs in Cleveland. Plus, they have a history of winning in Houston. They can easily win games 3 and 4 there.

You sure? :rolleyes:

Although it wasn't an important game for them -- whatever excuses you may type out next -- it was still a loss.
---
For the record, Game 1 has not changed anything except that there WILL be a game 5. Also, that the Lakers are not invincible.

I still think Lakers will win in 6 or 7, but that's because the Rockets are lacking offense, something I'm sure can be bought with $20 million.

brandonman
05-05-2009, 03:42 PM

About as certain as Most Laker Fans were that Houston would not win a game in LA. Or this was going to an easy series for them.

Rocket's Playoff Record:
Home: 3-0
Road: 2-2

Laker's Playoff Record:
Home: 3-1
Road: 1-1

Id say the Rockets had a tougher first round too :rockon:

Dro
05-05-2009, 03:43 PM

This is why you Laker fans get on everybody's nerves.......You lose game 1 and STILL act cocky? What part of the game is that?:confusedshrug:

worldbefree
05-05-2009, 03:45 PM
AND this is a Rocket team with $20m worth of nba talent completely out of the lineup.

just cause tmac is paid over $20 million a season doesn't mean he's worth that much.

expect a trade in the offseason

mbell75
05-05-2009, 03:55 PM
You sure? :rolleyes:

yep. LeBron didnt play the last game of the year so that loss really didnt mean anything. Did you just start watching the NBA?

mbell75
05-05-2009, 03:57 PM
This is why you Laker fans get on everybody's nerves.......You lose game 1 and STILL act cocky? What part of the game is that?:confusedshrug:

Its not being cocky. Anyone with working eyes could see the Lakers played one of the worst games of the year and were still only down 5-6 points all night. Simple logic says when the Lakers make most their open shots as they almost always do, Rockets will lose, even playing as well as they did last night.

brandonman
05-05-2009, 03:58 PM
yep. LeBron didnt play the last game of the year so that loss really didnt mean anything. Did you just start watching the NBA?

A loss at Home is a loss at Home, regardless of the lineup

Last Time I checked.

brandonman
05-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Its not being cocky. Anyone with working eyes could see the Lakers played one of the worst games of the year and were still only down 5-6 points all night. Simple logic says when the Lakers make most their open shots as they almost always do, Rockets will lose, even playing as well as they did last night.

Not Cocky???

The Rockets Played Horrible Last Night

We missed just as many wide open shots.

Jeez

mbell75
05-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Not Cocky???

The Rockets Played Horrible Last Night

We missed just as many wide open shots.

Jeez

:roll:

yea, ok homer. Yao and Artest both shot over 50% and if you think they are going to shoot that well the rest of this series, you are in for a rude awakening. They both played pretty much as well as they can. Yao had 28, Artest had 21 on very good shooting nights. If you think Yao is going to put up 35-40 and Artest is going for 30+, you are dreaming.

Your two best players played the best they will in this series and your role players stepped up too. Lakers couldnt hit the side of a barn, especially from three where they were 2-17. That basically all has to happen 3 more times for the same results and I am sorry but it wont.

brandonman
05-05-2009, 04:08 PM

yea, ok homer. Yao and Artest both shot over 50% and if you think they are going to shoot that well the rest of this series, you are in for a rude awakening. They both played pretty much as well as they can. Yao had 28, Artest had 21 on very good shooting nights. If you think Yao is going to put up 35-40 and Artest is going for 30+, you are dreaming.

Your two best players played the best they will in this series and your role players stepped up too. Lakers couldnt hit the side of a barn, especially from three where they were 2-17. That basically all has to happen 3 more times for the same results and I am sorry but it wont.

I

artest 93
05-05-2009, 04:08 PM
The Cavs still lost at home, you ignorant troll.
---
Mbell is the definition of a Laker troll. He barely just joined ISH and acts like he's been the greatest Laker fan ever. Easily ignored without hesitation. The guy doesn't know anything and likes to discredit the other team to make himself feel better.

Yao played as well as he can? Artest played as well as he can?

Well, the Lakers outrebounded the Rockets as well as they can, shooting 15 more FG's than the Rockets and still lost. They are in for a rude awakening of that doesn't keep up :oldlol:

Dumb troll. go back to school. You're not even a Laker fan and definitely not worth the time to discuss basketball with.

Do you just started watching? I know you bandwagoned the Lakers, but damn :roll:

brandonman
05-05-2009, 04:12 PM
The Cavs still lost at home, you ignorant troll.
---
Mbell is the definition of a Laker troll. He barely just joined ISH and acts like he's been the greatest Laker fan ever. Easily ignored without hesitation. The guy doesn't know anything and likes to discredit the other team to make himself feel better.

Yao played as well as he can? Artest played as well as he can?

Well, the Lakers outrebounded the Rockets as well as they can, shooting 15 more FG's than the Rockets and still lost. They are in for a rude awakening of that doesn't keep up :oldlol:

Dumb troll. go back to school. You're not even a Laker fan and definitely not worth the time to discuss basketball with.

Do you just started watching? I know you bandwagoned the Lakers, but damn :roll:

:roll: Mbell is the reason for The Lakers Fans Poor Reputation here. He has a one sided argument, makes no sense, predicts the future with ridiculous comments, HUGE TROLL.

Ignored! :cheers:

mbell75
05-05-2009, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=brandonman]I

ElPigto
05-05-2009, 04:14 PM

Hmmm, two can play this game :).

-Scola's jumper was off, hesitated and passed up a few open looks leading to turnovers.
-Von Wafer was frustrated by Vujacic, I'm sure he'll adjust in game 2 (our leading scorer from bench)
-Shane Battier wasn't gunning from downtown.
-Carl Landry had a subpar performance as well

Hmm, see it's not that hard to play this game. Just thought I'd let you know.

Now, I expect you to continue trolling away.

:hammertime: :hammertime: :hammertime:

brandonman
05-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Ok, so you are expecting Von Wafer, Scola or one of the other Rocket scrubs to go off and play well and carry this team to a win if yao and Artest have off nights? :oldlol: Face it, you got lucky and caught the Lakers after a full week off and rusty as hell, it wasnt your "defense". Lakers were missing wide open shots, fumbling the ball, missing put backs, bricking free throws etc...Good luck if you think that will happen to them again.

I bet you have a list of excuses written down for everytime the Lakers Lose and Get Outplayed :roll: . You are ridiculous :roll:

Rusty as hell???? They had Fresh Legs, Ass! :confusedshrug:

We had more Turnovers than the Lakers, who was RUSTY????

AND, yes I do see Lowry, Scola, Wafer & Landry Stepping up HUGE in this series.

Do you wanna bring up your scrub bench :oldlol:

The Lakers Ran into a DEFENSE!!!
Just Accept A LOSS, Its OK

darius15
05-05-2009, 04:20 PM
I think the Rockets answered this question yesterday night.:lol

brandonman
05-05-2009, 04:38 PM
I understand we are not the Better team or the Team favored to win. If I were to bet, Id put money on the Lakers, but I don’t bet, and surely not against my team.

And I will not sit here and claim anything (Rockets in 6 or Rockets 7) Not my style, It will end how it ends....Frankly NOBODY GIVES A DAMN WHAT YOUR PREDICTIONS ARE!!!

BUT I will not sit here and Let Laker Fans think that They Saw the best of the Rockets Last Night. Because as a True Rockets Fan, we should have played better, we can play better, and I hope we DO play better!

We do not have a Lebron, or a Brandon Roy, or a Kobe. We have to work the ball around. We don’t have an offensive weapon who can single handedly take over a game. We don’t have a deep bench, we don’t have a back up center.

We have heart, we have hunger, we have sportsmanship, we have hope and a pretty solid group of guys who know how to play well together. I know all That wont guarantee us a win..... But having a Lebron, Roy, or Kobe does not guarantee you a win either!

BUT WE CAN STILL WIN THIS DAMN SERIES!

All Net
05-05-2009, 05:30 PM

It was a prediction bro, Lakers played like crap in game 1 and Houston deserved the win. I judge my prediction on what I saw from Houston this year but they came in and surprised. Lakers will still win this series IMO but Houston have proven to be a damn good team and now it will be tough. Houston took advantage of L.A's long layoff very well.

props to your team.

bagelred
05-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Hey everyone, just got back from space.

There's no way Rockets can beat the Lakers. L.A. in four. Book it!!!!!

oh the horror
05-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Hey everyone, just got back from space.

There's no way Rockets can beat the Lakers. L.A. in four. Book it!!!!!

Whoever said that, was flat out tripping anyway. Ive never thought Houston was a slouch team that would just flat out get swept. But I sure as hell still dont see them winning the series altogether.

D-Rose
05-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Hmmm, two can play this game :).

-Scola's jumper was off, hesitated and passed up a few open looks leading to turnovers.
-Von Wafer was frustrated by Vujacic, I'm sure he'll adjust in game 2 (our leading scorer from bench)
-Shane Battier wasn't gunning from downtown.
-Carl Landry had a subpar performance as well

Hmm, see it's not that hard to play this game. Just thought I'd let you know.

Now, I expect you to continue trolling away.

:hammertime: :hammertime: :hammertime:

I think you make a good point, but it's a comparison that should be made at the team level, not inividual.

Lakers as a team played way below their usual standards.

As a team the Rockets played very well, closer to their best than to average..

That's how i see it at least.

ElPigto
05-05-2009, 07:16 PM
I think you make a good point, but it's a comparison that should be made at the team level, not inividual.

Lakers as a team played way below their usual standards.

As a team the Rockets played very well, closer to their best than to average..

That's how i see it at least.

I completely agree with you, the Lakers played like sh!t. Lets remember though that they are playing one of the best defensive teams in the league. You can blame some of the bad play on rust, but obviously the Rockets worked yall's asses of as well.

This is all I want, credit where credit is due. I haven't read through any of this thread except the last two pages so please forgive me in advance if you have given credit already. I'm not really picking on you but it seems that some are just saying the Lakers were sluggish because of the long rest. The Rockets also had a 4 day rest as well, might not be a week, but that is pretty good time to knock you off your game.

D-Rose
05-05-2009, 07:26 PM
I completely agree with you, the Lakers played like sh!t. Lets remember though that they are playing one of the best defensive teams in the league. You can blame some of the bad play on rust, but obviously the Rockets worked yall's asses of as well.

This is all I want, credit where credit is due. I haven't read through any of this thread except the last two pages so please forgive me in advance if you have given credit already. I'm not really picking on you but it seems that some are just saying the Lakers were sluggish because of the long rest. The Rockets also had a 4 day rest as well, might not be a week, but that is pretty good time to knock you off your game.

Yeah, I gave the Rockets credit for playin well in the Game 1 thread. I've been hearing trash talk backfire on me all day from friends since I'm livin in clutch city :oldlol:

ElPigto
05-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I gave the Rockets credit for playin well in the Game 1 thread. I've been hearing trash talk backfire on me all day from friends since I'm livin in clutch city :oldlol:

Lol, oh wow. I would hate that as a fan. I think personally I would just go hide in my cubicle. I hate getting an earfull after my team losses especially when there is high expectations of them.

D-Rose
05-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Lol, oh wow. I would hate that as a fan. I think personally I would just go hide in my cubicle. I hate getting an earfull after my team losses especially when there is high expectations of them.
yeah at first i was like STFU!!! haha then i calmed down a bit and kind of accepted it as karma since I'm always teasing my friends that are rockets fans when they lose a game.

Downtown LA
05-05-2009, 07:49 PM
There are a lot of Brandon's on this site... two Laker Brandons and this one.

OnePeat
05-05-2009, 07:56 PM
I was impressed by Hou last night. I don't get a cance to watch much NBA during the season, but they looked really solid. Yao's baseline turnaround is damn near unguardable. And he had some beautiful spin moves for dunks. If he plays like this every night, I think they could win it all. Artest played really well also, and he seems to bring a winning attitude to the team, sort of like Billups in Den. I liked their chemistry.

The one area where they are a little sketchy, is the bench. They don't seem to have many big bodies. That could be their downfall if Yao gets into foul trouble.

ElPigto
05-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I was impressed by Hou last night. I don't get a cance to watch much NBA during the season, but they looked really solid. Yao's baseline turnaround is damn near unguardable. And he had some beautiful spin moves for dunks. If he plays like this every night, I think they could win it all. Artest played really well also, and he seems to bring a winning attitude to the team, sort of like Billups in Den. I liked their chemistry.

The one area where they are a little sketchy, is the bench. They don't seem to have many big bodies. That could be their downfall if Yao gets into foul trouble.

It really is unfortunate that Deke went down. Hopefully everything will be okay for these playoffs. :)

rezznor
05-05-2009, 08:13 PM

wow is this game 1 of round 1 again? talk about deja vu....

oh the horror
05-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Why is it okay for someone to talk trash about a particular team, yet when a person wants to defend their own team, it makes them a "homer?"

So essentially, a laker fan making valid points is written off in comparsion to a non-fan making a valid point? Only the non-fan can be correct in this scenario, but the fan, is bias, or a HOMER or whatever the fu*k because hes a fan?

Some of you are idiots.

ElPigto
05-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Why is it okay for someone to talk trash about a particular team, yet when a person wants to defend their own team, it makes them a "homer?"

So essentially, a laker fan making valid points is written off in comparsion to a non-fan making a valid point? Only the non-fan can be correct in this scenario, but the fan, is bias, or a HOMER or whatever the fu*k because hes a fan?

Some of you are idiots.

Examples?

UCLA - Lakers
05-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Yes, the Rockets can absolutely beat the Lakers.

I've been worried about the Lakers since mid-season. They started out the year playing inspired basketball and right after the Boston/Cleveland road trip they lost their enthusiasm. We don't have a reliable defense, our bench is inconsistent, and some nights we play 8 guys and other nights we play 11 guys.

A couple other things I'm worried about:

- Derek Fisher is beginning to show his age. That should be expected, the problem is that Jordan Farmar's game has disappeared and we're relying on Shannon Brown, who has next to no experience.

- Who's going to start, Andrew Bynum or Lamar Odom? I know Phil wants to work Andrew back into the mix, but he's not 100% healthy and I don't think he understands how important the playoffs are. His defense left a lot to be desired last night.

I'm not convinced they have the mental toughness to win an NBA Championship. I hope they prove me wrong.

brandonman
05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
It was a prediction bro, Lakers played like crap in game 1 and Houston deserved the win. I judge my prediction on what I saw from Houston this year but they came in and surprised. Lakers will still win this series IMO but Houston have proven to be a damn good team and now it will be tough. Houston took advantage of L.A's long layoff very well.

props to your team.

Its all good. I know.

Its good to finally chat with a Lakers Fan who is not an idiot.

Props Brother

brandonman
05-05-2009, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=brandonman]I understand we are not the Better team or the Team favored to win. If I were to bet, Id put money on the Lakers, but I don

brandonman
05-05-2009, 10:20 PM

Some of you are idiots.

Check your fellow Laker Fan mbell....He seems quite confused.:confusedshrug:

conrad
05-05-2009, 10:23 PM
I am a laker fan, with the way the rockets play last night. It is pure sure the the rockets will win the series!

FIXED
05-05-2009, 10:56 PM
lol at laker fans for thinking they were going to sweep the rockets in the first couple pages of this thread

raptorfan_dr07
05-05-2009, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=brandonman]
Maybe the Lakers could not hit the side of a barn because the Rockets played this thing....what

brandonman
05-05-2009, 11:41 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause: They've been solid on d all year long. Yao pretty much turned Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum into jump shooters. I don't think I saw Bynum get one easy bucket close to the rim. All his points were off jump shots. Sure he hit a couple but you'll live with that if you're Houston. Pau Gasol was hitting that little jump hook with ease against Utah's front line. When his inside game is on, it gives him more confidence in his jumper. Yao wasn't letting him get position for that little jump hook so he was forced into becoming a jump shooter. Those easy drives to the rim Lamar Odom was getting against Utah was not there against Houston. The Rockets have two guys that can make things difficult for Kobe and they did a great job last night.

Oh and I think Cleveland put to rest tonight the idea that a long layoff was the reason the Lakers lost. They had a much longer layoff and they came out and handled business.

:applause: :applause: REPPED, GREAT POST! :applause: :applause:

UCLA - Lakers
05-05-2009, 11:44 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause: They've been solid on d all year long. Yao pretty much turned Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum into jump shooters. I don't think I saw Bynum get one easy bucket close to the rim. All his points were off jump shots. Sure he hit a couple but you'll live with that if you're Houston. Pau Gasol was hitting that little jump hook with ease against Utah's front line. When his inside game is on, it gives him more confidence in his jumper. Yao wasn't letting him get position for that little jump hook so he was forced into becoming a jump shooter. Those easy drives to the rim Lamar Odom was getting against Utah was not there against Houston. The Rockets have two guys that can make things difficult for Kobe and they did a great job last night.

Oh and I think Cleveland put to rest tonight the idea that a long layoff was the reason the Lakers lost. They had a much longer layoff and they came out and handled business.

It was a combination of both. The Rockets played good defense, but the Lakers missed a lot of shots they usually hit. If Trevor Ariza or Derek Fisher had hit their 3's in the 4th quarter the outcome might have been different.

I'm worried about the Lakers, but people are getting ahead of themselves. I'm not convinced Yao Ming will put up 28 and 10 in the series and Ron Artest will definitely not shoot over 50% in every game.

conrad
05-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Lakers is done for the season thats for sure!!

brandonman
05-05-2009, 11:53 PM
It was a combination of both. The Rockets played good defense, but the Lakers missed a lot of shots they usually hit. If Trevor Ariza or Derek Fisher had hit their 3's in the 4th quarter the outcome might have been different.
I'm worried about the Lakers, but people are getting ahead of themselves. I'm not convinced Yao Ming will put up 28 and 10 in the series and Ron Artest will definitely not shoot over 50% in every game.

While I agree with you, The Rockets should have done many things differently to where those threes would not have even made a difference.

They had several chances to run off with that game. We missed several open looks as well.

I agree, People are getting ahead of thierselves, most of them are not Rockets fans, rather just Lakers Haters.

BUT...Yao may very well have a great series so I could see him w/ a double double every night, NOT SAYING HE WILL, But it is very possible, he is our go to guy.

Also, Scola was absent minded in Game 1, let him get rolling too, he will Impress as well.

Lastly, Be careful with that word "Definitely" its a huge word(Like Never & Always), and while its very unlikely for Artest to Shoot 50% thru-out, its NOT Definite that he wont

brandonman
05-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Lakers is done for the season thats for sure!!
:wtf: :confusedshrug: :rolleyes:

UCLA - Lakers
05-05-2009, 11:59 PM
While I agree with you, The Rockets should have done many things differently to where those threes would not have even made a difference.

They had several chances to run off with that game. We missed several open looks as well.

I agree, People are getting ahead of thierselves, most of them are not Rockets fans, rather just Lakers Haters.

BUT...Yao may very well have a great series so I could see him w/ a double double every night, NOT SAYING HE WILL, But it is very possible, he is our go to guy.

Also, Scola was absent minded in Game 1, let him get rolling too, he will Impress as well.

Lastly, Be careful with that word "Definitely" its a huge word(Like Never & Always), and while its very unlikely for Artest to Shoot 50% thru-out, its NOT Definite that he wont

Yao Ming's definitely capable of averaging 28 and 10, the only reason I don't think he'll keep up that production is because he only averaged like 10 shots in the 1st round. If the Blazers can keep the ball out of Yao's hands, then so can the Lakers.

Should be a good game tomorrow.:cheers:

brandonman
05-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Yao Ming's definitely capable of averaging 28 and 10, the only reason I don't think he'll keep up that production is because he only averaged like 10 shots in the 1st round. If the Blazers can keep the ball out of Yao's hands, then so can the Lakers.
Should be a good game tomorrow.:cheers:

Agreed, Agreed, & Agreed!

Thats where we need Scola & Brooks to step up.

To Tomorrow:cheers:

Gifted Hands
05-06-2009, 01:04 AM
Lakers are overrated, I think they still have the best chance to win the finals, but the rockets will not just lay down and die like the jazz, In fact i think whoever wins tomorrow wins the series.]

MP: Rockets in 4.

brantonli
05-06-2009, 02:18 AM
Ok, so you are expecting Von Wafer, Scola or one of the other Rocket scrubs to go off and play well and carry this team to a win if yao and Artest have off nights? :oldlol: Face it, you got lucky and caught the Lakers after a full week off and rusty as hell, it wasnt your "defense". Lakers were missing wide open shots, fumbling the ball, missing put backs, bricking free throws etc...Good luck if you think that will happen to them again.

Well Wafer did average 17 points against the Lakers in the regular season, and Scola averaged 16 points against the Blazers, so I wonder who is underestimating who.

raptorfan_dr07
05-06-2009, 02:44 AM

True, Derek Fisher is a great clutch shooter, especially when he's wide open. I'm still not sold though on Trevor Ariza being a knockdown 3pt shooter. He's definitely improved since the beginning of the year, but still, if you're an opposing team, you probably won't feel too worried about Ariza getting an open three here and there.

As long as the Rockets feed Yao the ball all game long like they did last night, he will put up big numbers. Whether they will or not is the question. One of their biggest problems is their tendency to go away from him for long periods of time. If they fall into that trap, the Lakers need to capitalize.

TheTicketStub
05-06-2009, 02:58 AM
This is the series to watch this playoffs. I think the Lakers would have their hands full with these Rockets. They have no one who can stop Yao. Aaron Brooks is a clutch performer and is really showing people who doubted the trade of Rafer. 2 solid defenders who can guard Kobe ALL game. even if Kobe hits 30 but it took him 30 shots to do it, the Rockets will take it all day. I'm taking the Rockets in 6.

oh the horror
05-06-2009, 04:20 AM
Rockets in 4.

:roll: wooo

gemesis
05-06-2009, 05:17 AM
[QUOTE=brandonman]I understand we are not the Better team or the Team favored to win. If I were to bet, Id put money on the Lakers, but I don

NuggetsFan
05-06-2009, 06:03 AM
I see the Lakers coming out tonight flying and giving 110% this game is huge for them.

Could you imagine if the Rockets gained a 2-0 series lead with the series heading back to Houston? All hell would break loose.

I look forward to watching Fisher trying to contain Brooks.

brandonman
05-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Kobe Bryant:

"Last year we kind of had a cakewalk to the NBA finals, it feels good to be tested a little bit,

brandonman
05-06-2009, 09:23 AM
:applause: :cry:

Really?

What is your point, just trying to tally up some posts?

brandonman
05-06-2009, 09:25 AM
:roll: wooo

He is not even a Rockets Fan.

I dont see many Rockets Fans claiming anything.

We know who we are and what we are up against.

This is the Lakers Year before its the Rockets. IMO

brandonman
05-06-2009, 09:27 AM
I see the Lakers coming out tonight flying and giving 110% this game is huge for them.

Could you imagine if the Rockets gained a 2-0 series lead with the series heading back to Houston? All hell would break loose.

I look forward to watching Fisher trying to contain Brooks.

I agree, I see a complete meltdown by the Rockets tomight.

It may be a battle but I have a strong feeling the lakers will take this, and even if they dont, being down 2-0, IM STILL NOT GIVING THIS SERIES TO THE ROCKETS, just yet, maybe 3-0 or 3-1.

I have watched entirely too much Rockets Basketball over the last few seasons to think they wont blow ANOTHER 2-0 lead coming back to the Toyota Center.

brandonman
05-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Shane Battier:

Even though Bryant had an off-night shooting (14-of-31 for 32 points), Battier expects the guy he describes as

NuggetsFan
05-06-2009, 09:47 AM
I agree, I see a complete meltdown by the Rockets tomight.

It may be a battle but I have a strong feeling the lakers will take this, and even if they dont, being down 2-0, IM STILL NOT GIVING THIS SERIES TO THE ROCKETS, just yet, maybe 3-0 or 3-1.

I have watched entirely too much Rockets Basketball over the last few seasons to think they wont blow ANOTHER 2-0 lead coming back to the Toyota Center.

I wouldn't say I see a meltdown for the Rockets tonight, But I have a feeling the Lakers are going to be spot on there game. I think this game is going to kinda give us an idea how the series is going to pan out.

I wouldn't give the series to the Rockets up 2-0 either if they win, but that would be HUGE.

brandonman
05-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't say I see a meltdown for the Rockets tonight, But I have a feeling the Lakers are going to be spot on there game. I think this game is going to kinda give us an idea how the series is going to pan out.

I wouldn't give the series to the Rockets up 2-0 either if they win, but that would be HUGE.

Maybe not a meltdown, but The Rockets tend to start falling apart when other teams are spot on thier game. They will go 6 or 7 trips down the court without a basket at times and then we end up trying to force something thats not there, turning into easy buckets for the opposition.

If the Lakers come out shooting 55/60%, Rockets are Dead in the water. We just have to keep our fingers crossed on that, because Unless teh Rockets shock the hell out of me, WE CANT TRADE BASKETS w/ The Lakers.

We had 16 turnovers in game 1, we have to slow the game down when we have the ball, and be patient getting the ball into Yao, no lazy as passes & take high percentage shots.

If the shots are not falling early, just start going to the basket. Exploit the paint however we can. Get to the free throw line as much as possible.

Do what we can to frustrate Kobe, but we all know, if he is on, he is on. I have a feeling he is gonna be on tonight.

Brooks & Lowry are Huge X-Factors at the PG in this series, they need to keep taking it to the rack.

No chucking from Artest, I dont care if he shot 50% in Game 1 or 3 of 6 from the arc.

Scola needs to hit his wide open jumpers and be more aggressive on the block. Id rather see Artest on the block and Battier shooting threes too.

I dont want to make any predictions as to who is going to win.

2-0 Would be nuts!!

SCREWstonRockets
05-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Maybe not a meltdown, but The Rockets tend to start falling apart when other teams are spot on thier game. They will go 6 or 7 trips down the court without a basket at times and then we end up trying to force something thats not there, turning into easy buckets for the opposition.

That was before they got out the first round. Rockets finally got that monkey off their backs and they have nothing to lose. They were suppose to meltdown in the 4th last game but they held on and won.

brandonman
05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
That was before they got out the first round. Rockets finally got that monkey off their backs and they have nothing to lose. They were suppose to meltdown in the 4th last game but they held on and won.

I agree, we did execute & hit some HUGE buckets in the 4th and Yao was huge from the line. He took the team on his shoulders in the 4th and sealed that win.

But I cant be one sided, the Lakers missed some open looks at the 3 & that could have changed the tempo and maybe even the outcome.

We played GREAT, WHEN WE NEEDED TOO, BUT We can play better than we did in game one as a whole. As many open shots as the Lakers missed, we should have had a bigger lead than 3 going into the 4th.

I give credit to our frustrating & annoying defense & to our Offense, we put up 100, we dont do that often, especially when the game goes our way, but we have to keep in mind the Lakers did shoot poorly from the free throw line, and missed some wide open 3's.

rezznor
05-06-2009, 12:11 PM
It's official, Rockets are going to lose game 2: Crawford is officiating :mad:

brandonman
05-06-2009, 12:22 PM

FACK ME RUNNING! :mad:

They are gonna call every stupid ass call known to man.

My Predictions -
Kobe Shoots 23 Free Throws Tonight
Yao Shoots 7 Free Throws Tonight

Bynum, Scola, Yao - All in Early Foul Trouble.

Is the semi Finals, I REALLY HOPE THEY LET THEM PLAY BALL!!!!!

silver4dracs
05-06-2009, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE=brandonman]Shane Battier:

Even though Bryant had an off-night shooting (14-of-31 for 32 points), Battier expects the guy he describes as

Allstar24
05-06-2009, 12:25 PM
I sense there will be a lot of whining about the officiating tonight...from both sides.

brandonman
05-06-2009, 12:31 PM
I sense there will be a lot of whining about the officiating tonight...from both sides.

NO WHINING TONIGHT GUYS, ITS THE PLAYOFF'S...Nothing we can about the Refs, WE ALL just have to accept it.

There are going to be whistles out the ass tonight, on BOTH sides. AND WE ALL KNOW THERE WILL SOME BULL**** CALLS......We just have play ball.

BUT Im sure there will a Huge thread after the game, about ONE call that is the foul heard round the world.

SCREWstonRockets
05-06-2009, 12:40 PM

:oldlol: Is there ever a game where fans aren't complaining about officiating? Its come to the point where I don't even both about talking about the refs because everyone else has it covered.

EllEffEll
05-06-2009, 12:50 PM
It's hard not to feel it sometimes, but complaining about the refs always seems to come back and bite one on their ass at some point down the road.

That said, it is an interesting assignment.

Still, refs are just another 'condition' that has to be considered and adjusted to much like a soft spot in the floor or the opposition's players and tactics.

Back in the day, I always hated to see Jake O'Donnell assigned to games and much preferred Earl Strom.
==================================
And one does have to try awful hard to find a reason not to like Shane Battier. At the very least, just as a fellow human being, IMHO Kobe owes him an apology.

brandonman
05-06-2009, 01:01 PM
:oldlol: Is there ever a game where fans aren't complaining about officiating? Its come to the point where I don't even both about talking about the refs because everyone else has it covered.

:oldlol: :oldlol: REPPED:oldlol: :oldlol:

mbell75
05-06-2009, 03:23 PM

Let the excuses begin as to why the lakers blew out the Rockets. Yes, it will all be due to one referee :roll:

KobeRules24
05-06-2009, 05:14 PM
this is directed to rocket fans:

since some of you are fully confident that your team can actually win this series....30 day avy bet anyone?

konex
05-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Unless the Lakers win convincingly tonight, this series is over..

KobeRules24
05-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Unless the Lakers win convincingly tonight, this series is over..

calm down buddy :oldlol:

rezznor
05-06-2009, 05:50 PM
this is directed to rocket fans:

since some of you are fully confident that your team can actually win this series....30 day avy bet anyone?
i'll tell u what. i predicted lakers in 6, and i still think the lakers will win the series. i still love the rockets tho so ill make an avy bet with you for the series regardless. lets make it more interesting and make it for the entire offseason tho. loser has to wear an avatar related to the winner's team untill the next nba season starts.

it wont be so bad for me if the lakers win since they are my second favorite team :D

KobeRules24
05-06-2009, 05:59 PM
i'll tell u what. i predicted lakers in 6, and i still think the lakers will win the series. i still love the rockets tho so ill make an avy bet with you for the series regardless. lets make it more interesting and make it for the entire offseason tho. loser has to wear an avatar related to the winner's team untill the next nba season starts.

it wont be so bad for me if the lakers win since they are my second favorite team :D

Deal :cheers:

rezznor
05-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Deal :cheers:
done and done :cheers:

D-Rose
05-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Rockets listen to this: http://podcast.sportsradio610.com/kilt2/1726717.mp3

haha wowzers.

rezznor
05-06-2009, 06:26 PM

haha wowzers.
lol wtf was that. how embarrassing. i sincerely hope that was tongue in cheek.

brandonman
05-06-2009, 07:07 PM

haha wowzers.

WTF?????

Oh My .....

WOW! :ohwell:

UCLA - Lakers
05-06-2009, 07:08 PM

haha wowzers.
:oldlol: :oldlol:

NY Comeback
05-06-2009, 07:27 PM

haha wowzers.
lol :applause:

Very clever...

All Net
05-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Rockets fans for the most part are classy dudes...It's good to see how level headed most of them are about this series. Alot of other fans would be trashing L.A big time and making statements how they have this series won.

rezznor
05-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Rockets fans for the most part are classy dudes...It's good to see how level headed most of them are about this series. Alot of other fans would be trashing L.A big time and making statements how they have this series won.
thanks :cheers: and to be honest, im actually quite surprised that lakers fans on ISH for the most part have been pretty rational and classy as well. its alot better then it used to be. aside from a few trolls that can give yall a bad name(we all have them), ive actually enjoyed talking ball with most of you guys.

Mateo
05-06-2009, 10:26 PM
This is what I love about the playoffs, reputations get changed. Until last year Garnett was "loser who can't get past the first round", now he's an MVP, DPOY and a champion.

Yao used to be a soft center who's too nice. Now he has the heart of champion.

caroline
05-06-2009, 10:30 PM
this game is more important to win than the first. i hope yao doesn't fall again. or kobe doesn't drop a blade on someone. i wouldn't put it past him if things aren't going his way. just sayin.

momo
05-07-2009, 01:04 AM
Can the Rockets beat the Lakers?
Not tonight they cant...

lilderrickrose
05-07-2009, 01:26 AM
There is no way. David Stern won't allow it. Kobe should be suspended for game 3. He elbowed Battier in the back of the head game 1 we let that slide. Next game he elbows artest in the throat, which if hit his adam's apple would have done alot of damage. Then Artest gets the foul call, and thrown out the game.

dreaming121
05-07-2009, 02:28 AM
The lakers reacting this way gives me an impression they are frustrated.

I believe the rockets still has chance to win it.

magi
05-07-2009, 02:31 AM
Rockets have impressed the crap out of me tonight, I didn't know they had so many capable players on their team.

Most teams would have folded after LA made that nice run, but Houston like champions came back to take the lead. They're a tough team and has gotten my and every other Laker fan's attention.

1-1, I actually think it might go to 7 games.

rawimpact
05-07-2009, 02:48 AM
im calling it, houston may take the first one at home, if they do its going to game 7, if they dont lakers in 5.

KenneBell
05-07-2009, 02:52 AM
im calling it, houston may take the first one at home, if they do its going to game 7, if they dont lakers in 5.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Houston take Game 3 off of emotion alone.

rawimpact
05-07-2009, 02:53 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Houston take Game 3 off of emotion alone.

i doubt wafer is going to be any good next game, and the lakers are a good road team so lets be hopeful we make it a fast 5

amfirst
05-07-2009, 02:58 AM
I think the Lakers learned about what match ups were good in this game and will make adjustments. One Ariza, couldn't guard Artest for jack, but he likes to do a one dribble to the left and shoot (his sweet stroke), so Ariza needs to guard him to the left side more often than right.

Lakers also need to scratch that 2nd quarter lineup. Got killed.

mbell75
05-07-2009, 03:28 AM
There is no way. David Stern won't allow it. Kobe should be suspended for game 3. He elbowed Battier in the back of the head game 1 we let that slide. Next game he elbows artest in the throat, which if hit his adam's apple would have done alot of damage. Then Artest gets the foul call, and thrown out the game.

:violin:

Stop crying, go change your panties and grow some balls.

Thom.Yorke
05-07-2009, 03:55 AM
I feel that since the whole battier blood spill houston got all the call last game, this game was just irratic. each quarter the refs were bailing out either team,..

ihatetimthomas
05-07-2009, 04:48 AM
I got to give props when they are needed. Houston plays great as a team and are playing w/o their 20 mil a year "star". Credit Adelman for keeping this boat running. They are playing tough and with intensity. But I think in the end, Lakers will prevail

apesta
05-07-2009, 04:55 AM
Rockets just need to play like they did in game 1 which is try to slow down Lakers' tempo. Like Doug Collins said, Yao will be having a hard time trying to run along with Lakers fast pace game. Hopefully, Rockets find a way to involve Yao back into the offense.

They will also need to calm themselves down. Can't let their emotion affect their game. Rockets will need to win both games at home to have a chance to win this series. Hope they do it.

GMAC
05-07-2009, 05:24 AM
:violin:

Stop crying, go change your panties and grow some balls.

Can't imagine what yor blind Kobe sheep would do if the same thing happened to Kobe.