PDA

View Full Version : Is there something weaker than Battier covering Kobe's eyes?

BallPhunk
05-07-2009, 02:40 PM
This just cracks me up everytime I see it. So the tough defenders pull at jerseys, grab, elbow, etc...

But now to admit that someone is so tough to guard that you actually close your hand and try to cover their eyes?

http://slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/shane_battier_kobe_bryant.jpg

Worse than that, he still eats you up most of the time.

Maybe I'm missing something, but to me it's embarrassing.

Cyclone112
05-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Why don't you get a buddy of yours to cover your eyes while you take shots in the gym and tell me you don't notice a difference.

Force
05-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Defenders raise their hands...why? To distract the shot, to block the shot, to get a hand in the face.... Thats why they jump on defense too..to get closer to the path

What Battier does is the most simple defense... Your post is what is weak.

Should all defenders no longer use raise their hands above their shoulders? You know this happens hundreds of times per game, even to defense passes...

Battier knows he isn't going to block a jumpshot, how often do people actually do that? The best play is to distract the vision

don't you regret starting this thread? this is a monumentally bad thread

KenneBell
Probably why Kobe was talking to him the whole night. It's a really, really annoying tactic. It works though.

phoenix18
Why don't you get a buddy of yours to cover your eyes while you take shots in the gym and tell me you don't notice a difference.
QFT, unless you practice in the dark like glen rice, its going to bother you.

gyu
??
Playing basic fundamental defense?
Ever heard of "getting a hand up in his face"?

SCY
05-07-2009, 02:43 PM
You can tell the morons that never played basketball with these kind of posts.

CLE[216]
05-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Are you new to basketball or something? This happens. Regularly. It's called defense.

ds123
05-07-2009, 02:44 PM
What are you going to do? The defender is not going to block anybody's jumpshot, so why waste the effort?

Battier is so efficient because he maximizes every single small detail, doesn't waste any effort. He has picture charts on Kobe's shooting location preferences, where he shoots his highest percentage, and where he percentages drop the most when he takes a contested shot.

I don't think anyone should be pooping all over Battier's defense.

Killer_Instinct
05-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Because I'm sure you could do better.

bigkingsfan
05-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Thread starter about to go missing.

LJJ
05-07-2009, 02:46 PM
']This happens. Regularly. It's called defense.

Seriously.

wTFaMonkey
05-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Wow. what a dumbass post. :violin::violin:

Indian guy
05-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Why is it weak? You try to put your hand up on the defender's face to block his view at the rim. Everybody does it. It's Defense 101, and it has proven to be effective(otherwise no one would contest shots).

lolwut
05-07-2009, 02:49 PM
you mean doing everything you can to not foul yet still prevent an easy look at the basket?

horrible thread.

BallPhunk
05-07-2009, 02:51 PM
']Are you new to basketball or something? This happens. Regularly. It's called defense.

I've played plenty of ball, and it's weak sauce. Laughable.

GMAC
Obviously, the OP has never played a game of basketball in his entire life. You can't appreciate how DIFFICULT it is to do that on Kobe Bryant. Battier has perfected the art. Any other defender would probably whack him in the arm or face trying to do that, while Shane can do it every time he shoots with perfection.

Jordandunk23
never played real basketball before huh?? yeah there are a few of you guys on ish...

Juges8932
05-07-2009, 02:52 PM
You are an idiot.

:banghead:

VeeCee15
05-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Covering someone's eyes is probably the WORST way of defending someone over time.

You know they are not trying to alter your shot..and covering someone's eyes is always reactionary...meaning u are shooting already by the time someone's get their hand up in your face. Basically it doesn't affect your shot that much and there is is NO fear if someone trying to alter or block your shot.

What Battier is doing right now is useless.

joe
05-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Things weaker than Battier's defense on Kobe:

1) Kevin Durant at pre-draft workouts.

Younggrease
05-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Why is it weak? You try to put your hand up on the defender's face to block his view at the rim. Everybody does it. It's Defense 101, and it has proven to be effective(otherwise no one would contest shots).

Its a tactic but its not defense 101...to the extent Battier does it its actually illegal in high school, college and overseas.

I have played a considerable amount of time and what Battier does doesnt bother any more then a regular close out. Its the same thing.

Bean
05-07-2009, 04:21 PM
PleezeBelieve was calling for this defense to be banned a while ago, and now this? Really?

mattevans11
05-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Its a tactic but its not defense 101...to the extent Battier does it its actually illegal in high school, college and overseas.

I have played a considerable amount of time and what Battier does doesnt bother any more then a regular close out. Its the same thing.

this cant possibly be illegal at these levels? is this serious.

battier is putting his hand right in the way of the basket. in game two kobe still was hitting his jumpers.......

kobe must be hearing people talk about the way battier has the ability to make it hard for kobe to play, cause after a nice jumper in game two the camera often caught kobe saying "you cant guard me", kobe made sure to go out of his way to prove to the whole world that he was hitting shots in battier's face. what a d*ck...he deserved that tech he got last night way before he got it.

all said and done.... the hand to the face is a great move. still cant believe that it is illegal in high school and college. i am pretty sure that i see college kids doing that at times.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-07-2009, 04:24 PM
What is wrong with Battier defense on Kobe? I think Battier might be in Kobe's head a little.

You gotta give Shane credit man....

Thom.Yorke
05-07-2009, 04:26 PM
even I have to admit this is a lame thread.

:palmface:

bleedinpurpleTwo
05-07-2009, 04:27 PM
hes playing good D imo. kobe just went off

magi
05-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Battier is just playing smart basketball, win at all cost.
You challenge a shot for the exact same reason Battier puts a hand over Kobe's eyes.

Younggrease
05-07-2009, 04:28 PM
this cant possibly be illegal at these levels? is this serious.

The following is a VERBATIM paste from 2004 - 2005 NFHS Basketball Rules Points of Emphasis.

Face Guarding: A rule change calls for a technical foul for face guarding regardless of whether or not the offended player has the ball.

Face guarding has been illegal since 1913.

Face guarding is defined as purposely obstructing an opponent’s vision by waving or placing hand(s) near his/her eyes.

The penalty is a technical foul.

Face guarding could occur with a single hand and a player’s hand(s) do not have to be waving; the hand(s) could be stationary but still restrict the opponent’s vision.

The next place players should have learned that face guarding is illegal is in college.

From the NCAA 2006 Rulebook, Page 142, Section 7, Article 4:

Direct Technical Fouls for Unsportsmanlike Player Conduct

Unsportsmanlike acts of players include, but are not limited to, the following:

Article 4. Purposely obstructing an opponent’s vision by waving or placing hand(s) near his or her eyes.

As further evidence that face guarding is illegal at all levels of basketball, FIBA, the official organization overseeing International Basketball, explicitly addresses it as well.

(Here is a link to your own copy of the FIBA rule book.)

On page 42 of 79, the FIBA Official Basketball Rulebook, valid as of September 1, 2004, says:

“A technical foul is a player non-contact foul of a behavioural nature including, but not limited to … Baiting an opponent or obstructing his vision by waving his hands near his eyes.”

yeah its illegal...not everyone is as skilled as Battier. He juts his hand very fast at Kobe's eyes while sometimes off balance which is a very dangerous play, especially for those less coordinated then Kobe. Imagine guys like Kwame Brown trying this

tastystaci
05-07-2009, 04:30 PM
I vote this as the all-time failed thread. :lol Shane Battier getting called out for blocking a guys vision while he tries to shoot :roll: How the f*ck else would the OP suggest defending Kobe? And have you ever tried to shoot with your eyes closed. That's essentially what Kobe is doing.

You sir...FAIL

rezznor
05-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Defenders raise their hands...why? To distract the shot, to block the shot, to get a hand in the face.... Thats why they jump on defense too..to get closer to the path

What Battier does is the most simple defense... Your post is what is weak.

Should all defenders no longer use raise their hands above their shoulders? You know this happens hundreds of times per game, even to defense passes...

Battier knows he isn't going to block a jumpshot, how often do people actually do that? The best play is to distract the vision

don't you regret starting this thread? this is a monumentally bad thread
you just destroyed the OP. repped :oldlol:

Younggrease
05-07-2009, 04:33 PM
you just destroyed the OP. repped :oldlol:

really...its not like it isnt a point of controversey compared to EVERT other league in the world. people are acting like this is common practice growing up and from someone who grew up in bball its NOT. This is the only major league in the world that allows it.

Orodoro
05-07-2009, 04:33 PM
There is a reason why Shane Battier is one of the best defenders in the league. This is one of them, basic defense, and it's not Battier's fault Kobe scored 40. It's not like Battier will lock down Kobe, he knows that, but Kobe had a good night.

brwnman
05-07-2009, 04:36 PM
This happened last year as well. One poster started calling Battier cheap for playing defense :oldlol:...

rezznor
05-07-2009, 04:36 PM
There is a reason why Shane Battier is one of the best defenders in the league. This is one of them, basic defense, and it's not Battier's fault Kobe scored 40. It's not like Battier will lock down Kobe, he knows that, but Kobe had a good night.
agreed. if anything, it helps to prove what a great kobe player is when he is on. nobody can stop kobe, battier knows that. he can only do his best to contain him, and the best thing battier get a hand in his face. battier isnt an athletic freak, hes not gonna block every shot. battier is playing smart.

bleedinpurpleTwo
05-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I vote this as the all-time failed thread. :lol Shane Battier getting called out for blocking a guys vision while he tries to shoot :roll: How the f*ck else would the OP suggest defending Kobe? And have you ever tried to shoot with your eyes closed. That's essentially what Kobe is doing.

You sir...FAIL

+1

ihatetimthomas
05-07-2009, 04:40 PM
I honestly do not think putting the hand in the faces of great players does much. Before you release your shot, you know where you are shooting. Once he rises up, his shot is almost mechanical and I do not think the hand in the face really does much. If you wanted to do the whole hand in the face thing you should do it before he rises up for the shot. I see it as pretty much you cant do anything else and you are not blocking the shot, so why not put the hand in the face

mattevans11
05-07-2009, 04:40 PM
yeah its illegal...not everyone is as skilled as Battier. He juts his hand very fast at Kobe's eyes while sometimes off balance which is a very dangerous play, especially for those less coordinated then Kobe. Imagine guys like Kwame Brown trying this

thanks man...repped for finding that one

bleedinpurpleTwo
05-07-2009, 04:41 PM
look, sometimes Kobe goes OFF.
sometimes he bricks bigtime (game 3 Utah).

I guarantee you both will happen again this series.

all Battier can do is exactly what he is doing....which AIN'T EASY!

ihatetimthomas
05-07-2009, 04:45 PM

You sir...FAIL

Not really man. He knows where he is and he knows once he rises up where the rim is and how much strength to put on the shot. Its not at all close to having your eyes closed actually. He knows where he is on the floor, he knows the distance from the rim, he has his target. Battier putting the hand in the face hinders the vision for a bit but its not going to affect the shot too much bc of all the things I said already

StroShow4
05-07-2009, 04:46 PM
I got rid of this thread, but someone else brought it back. Sorry guys, I have done all that I can do. :lol

Orodoro
05-07-2009, 04:47 PM

Good point. Everyone has bad games, and in this case Game 3 of the Utah series was an example of Kobe shooting bad. However, he has so many weapons to score, and shooting is probably his best way. Battier does his best, which is way more than what can be asked for; he is an excellent defender, and i'm sure many people would agree. No defender will lock down Kobe, atleast Battier knows that, and it isn't easy to defend one of the best scorers in the league; especially guarding him for a span of 7 games. Battier will have his work cut out for him this series; but either way, he will be known as a good defender, atleast in my eyes.

SCY
05-07-2009, 04:53 PM

:applause: Exactly, a great individual defender is not going to succeed every time, people are highly overreacting here. Battier's going to play the same great D every game, but Kobe's a ridiculously good scorer and some nights it just won't affect him. To shut down a great scorer over the course of a series, you need a great team defensive scheme like Boston last season, not just one or two guys.

tastystaci
05-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Not really man. He knows where he is and he knows once he rises up where the rim is and how much strength to put on the shot. Its not at all close to having your eyes closed actually. He knows where he is on the floor, he knows the distance from the rim, he has his target. Battier putting the hand in the face hinders the vision for a bit but its not going to affect the shot too much bc of all the things I said already

Shooting the ball is about focus and concentration. Putting your hand in front of somebody's face is essentially like closing your eyes at that moment. When MJ closes his eyes shooting free-throws he knows where he is, but people still slurp his balls for it, because it is a little more difficult to shoot with your eyes closed than open.

Mrofir
05-07-2009, 04:57 PM
I just can't beat my high score in Geometry Wars. :banghead:

Fatal9
05-07-2009, 04:58 PM
The fact that Battier is so obsessed with guarding Kobe and fails most of the time is pretty funny. This guy is conducting studies, dissecting videos, using the hand tactic, reading reports and he STILL can't stop him :oldlol:

bleedinpurpleTwo
05-07-2009, 04:59 PM
:applause: Exactly, a great individual defender is not going to succeed every time, people are highly overreacting here. Battier's going to play the same great D every game, but Kobe's a ridiculously good scorer and some nights it just won't affect him. To shut down a great scorer over the course of a series, you need a great team defensive scheme like Boston last season, not just one or two guys.

well said.
people act like Battier should shut down Kobe.
or Paul Pierce (or whoever) should shut down Lebron.
etc etc

all you can do is try to 1) deny him the ball and 2) anticipate movements and 3) get a hand up and 4) get under his skin...

I think Battier is doing all of that.

you want to shut him down? that's TEAM defense.. as you aptly pointed out.

SCY
05-07-2009, 05:00 PM
The fact that Battier is so obsessed with guarding Kobe and fails most of the time is pretty funny. This guy is conducting studies, dissecting videos, using the hand tactic, reading reports and he STILL can't stop him :oldlol:

Another moronic argument. It's not working so he should back off and not contest shots anymore. What a loser you must be to come up with that.

Mrofir

Yeah that Battier guy should really stop obsessing over playing basketball.. I mean get a life jeeeezz

tastystaci
really...its not like it isnt a point of controversey compared to EVERT other league in the world. people are acting like this is common practice growing up and from someone who grew up in bball its NOT. This is the only major league in the world that allows it.

That fact that other league's outlaw doesn't mean anything. They also allow goaltending, so how ridiculous is that? I don't know where you played ball, but any coach teaches his players to get a hand up on the shot. Why do you ask...to block a shooter's vision during the shot. This is standard, textbook stuff, and I can't believe there's actually somebody defending the OP. It's quite amazing to me.

Lamar Doom
05-07-2009, 05:01 PM
I think it's the right thing to do. Kobe gets so many free throws off stupid ass defensive plays. I liked Shane's quotes about it, i thought his massive f*cking spreadsheet book was a joke though, shane is very eager to prove how "cerebral" he is on the court.

nbastatus
05-07-2009, 05:03 PM
i dont really think it works on kobe.
he only needs a quick glance on the rim.

Mrofir
05-07-2009, 05:03 PM
I think it's the right thing to do. Kobe gets so many free throws off stupid ass defensive plays. I liked Shane's quotes about it, i thought his massive f*cking spreadsheet book was a joke though, shane is very eager to prove how "cerebral" he is on the court.

Seriously. Shane Battier's ego, fueled by his intelligence, is like 100 times that of Kobe's. Stop trying to prove you're good, or smart or whatever Shane Battier, and just let the Lakers win!

Fatal9
05-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Another moronic argument. It's not working so he should back off and not contest shots anymore. What a loser you must be to come up with that.
It's just very reminiscient of the guy in your class who does his homework, comes to every class, makes good notes but still fails the test.

Younggrease
05-07-2009, 05:06 PM
That fact that other league's outlaw doesn't mean anything. They also allow goaltending, so how ridiculous is that? I don't know where you played ball, but any coach teaches his players to get a hand up on the shot. Why do you ask...to block a shooter's vision during the shot. This is standard, textbook stuff, and I can't believe there's actually somebody defending the OP. It's quite amazing to me.

people here are saying its basic basketball...its not because it is not taught from throughout this country.

Its not standard textbook stuff. I have ball throughout college and overseas and it does not happen there. I have been to good camps every year from 7th grade throughout high school and it is not taught. It is not textbook and people pretending like it is are just not being honest or havent played much organized basketball. Its can be done but not if you seem to get as close as battier does...

flipogb
05-07-2009, 05:08 PM
It's just very reminiscient of the guy in your class who does his homework, comes to every class, makes good notes but still fails the test.
LOL, those people are pathetic , but I feel like they wanna kill me when I pass without seriously studying

Mrofir
05-07-2009, 05:08 PM
This whole thread reminds me of that sickening pattern I see at the gym, where people look down their noses at guys who actually play defense. It's the whole "I'm not trying too hard" mentality. Because guess what, if you play D and someone scores anyway, then you're really uncool, so you might as well not even try, therefor saving yourself the potential failure. It's actually a good life strategy. :ohwell:

Younggrease
05-07-2009, 05:14 PM
This whole thread reminds me of that sickening pattern I see at the gym, where people look down their noses at guys who actually play defense. It's the whole "I'm not trying too hard" mentality. Because guess what, if you play D and someone scores anyway, then you're really uncool, so you might as well not even try, therefor saving yourself the potential failure. It's actually a good life strategy. :ohwell:

well im not trying to generalize but usually guys that go extra hard at gym where people would laugh at them arent very good and try to overcompensate by playing hard but bad defense. They think they are playing good defense but they dont know what good defense is. Then the guys who can play are discouraged from playing because they dont like playing with bums. There is nothing more discouraging for me then someone who cant bball running around reckless on the court. They recklessness and lack of time on a bball court to hone skills makes them dangerous and likley to hurt someone. So if I saw someone like you mentioned I would probably walk off the court and stay healthy to play another day. Nobody laughs when someone good plays defense. They only laugh at bums

tastystaci
05-07-2009, 05:15 PM
people here are saying its basic basketball...its not because it is not taught from throughout this country.

Its not standard textbook stuff. I have ball throughout college and overseas and it does not happen there. I have been to good camps every year from 7th grade throughout high school and it is not taught. It is not textbook and people pretending like it is are just not being honest or havent played much organized basketball. Its can be done but not if you seem to get as close as battier does...

This is America, where the game was invented, and this IS standard, textbook stuff. And you claim that you played college ball? Here? No coach here would teach you anything other than this, I promise, I have coached, albeit not at the college level. And let me ask you something, because I have no overseas experience. What the hell do they teach you to do? Keep your hands down? This doesn't make sense at all to me. How do you defend somebody taking a shot? This is honestly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Only allowing goaltending is probably more ridiculous, which is also allowed overseas.

Mdog1
05-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Yes his name is Kome Cryant. I am partially kidding.

Why not do that, it doesn't foul him so whatever. Kobe is hard to stop when he shoots as well as he did last night though, it won't happen often so Battier just has to be there for when Kobe chokes.

Younggrease
05-07-2009, 05:17 PM
This is America, where the game was invented, and this IS standard, textbook stuff. And you claim that you played college ball? Here? No coach here would teach you anything other than this, I promise, I have coached, albeit not at the college level. And let me ask you something, because I have no overseas experience. What the hell do they teach you to do? Keep your hands down? This doesn't make sense at all to me. How do you defend somebody taking a shot? This is honestly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Only allowing goaltending is probably more ridiculous, which is also allowed overseas.

I played in America,...I live in Jersey grow up around some great bball players. My fam all played ball. Its not standard here in younger leagues. I even pulled up the rule book which says its illegal. You can put you hand up but it cant be as close to the eyes consistently as Battier does it

konex
05-07-2009, 05:21 PM
It's a total ***** move and that's why Kobe keep talkin' **** to him. That crap will be banned when someone's eye gets seriously injured...

Jordandunk23
05-07-2009, 05:23 PM
I played in America,...I live in Jersey grow up around some great bball players. My fam all played ball. Its not standard here in younger leagues. I even pulled up the rule book which says its illegal. You can put you hand up but it cant be as close to the eyes consistently as Battier does it

i know growing up since middle school it was fundamental, thats what the coaches tell you, man takes a shot, you get a hand in his face....

any organized ball, ask any coach n they will tell u the same, i guarantee it...

tastystaci
05-07-2009, 05:25 PM

The only reason they might make it illegal in younger leagues is because of the possibility of one of these "inexperienced" players making contact with the shooters face/eye. But this is widely taught throughout the country. This is the way I was taught, it's what I teach. If I wanted to make a "how-to" video on defending a jumpshooter I would show them Shane Battier. I don't know how it can be illegal if you're not touching the other guy. You have to see how ludicrous that is. You can raise your hand to block a shooter's vision, but you can't get "too" close or they might call a tech on you. :wtf:

Completely absurd.

DonDadda59
05-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Covering someone's eyes is probably the WORST way of defending someone over time.

You know they are not trying to alter your shot..and covering someone's eyes is always reactionary...meaning u are shooting already by the time someone's get their hand up in your face. Basically it doesn't affect your shot that much and there is is NO fear if someone trying to alter or block your shot.

What Battier is doing right now is useless.

You have a great point, but to be fair defenders these days are handcuffed. There's no way to effectively guard the league's perimeter players so you take whatever advantage you have. The Kobes, Ray Allens, Pejas of the league take hundreds of shots per day and it's second nature to them where the basket is in relation to them, how much rotation to put on the ball, etc. I doubt that a hand in the face bothers them that much, more of a minor nuisance. But at least it's something. It'd be a lot more interesting of a battle if they allowed SOME contact out there. Imagine Ron Artest being allowed to manhandle Kobe, I'd pay good money to see those games. But that's not the name of the game, they do what they can under the rules.

Mrofir
05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
well im not trying to generalize but usually guys that go extra hard at gym where people would laugh at them arent very good and try to overcompensate by playing hard but bad defense. They think they are playing good defense but they dont know what good defense is. Then the guys who can play are discouraged from playing because they dont like playing with bums. There is nothing more discouraging for me then someone who cant bball running around reckless on the court. They recklessness and lack of time on a bball court to hone skills makes them dangerous and likley to hurt someone. So if I saw someone like you mentioned I would probably walk off the court and stay healthy to play another day. Nobody laughs when someone good plays defense. They only laugh at bums

You're talking about people who foul and think it's good defense. I play good defense without fouling and people scoff. It's uncool. Not everyone, but some people.

I agree with the rest of your post. But anyway..

edit: people usually aren't laughing by the end of the game, because I'm actually a much better offensive player than defensive. And that's where your "skills" are always proven in today's ego driven game. So yay I win -- maybe I'd be a better defender if I didn't feel like I had to commit social suicide to play good d

vert48
05-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Face guarding it illegal in basically all levels of basketball.

Here is a cut/paste from NFHS Basketball Rules Points of Emphasis:

[QUOTE]Face Guarding: A rule change calls for a technical foul for face guarding regardless of whether or not the offended player has the ball.

Face guarding has been illegal since 1913.

Face guarding is defined as purposely obstructing an opponent

GMAC
05-07-2009, 05:33 PM

Ok, so when the coach tells you to get a hand in the shooters face, do you pull out of tape measurer to make sure the distance isn't too close?

Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound? Battier's defense is what coaches preach ever since middle school. Get a hand up in the shooter's F-ing face.

Younggrease
05-07-2009, 05:39 PM
The only reason they might make it illegal in younger leagues is because of the possibility of one of these "inexperienced" players making contact with the shooters face/eye. But this is widely taught throughout the country. This is the way I was taught, it's what I teach. If I wanted to make a "how-to" video on defending a jumpshooter I would show them Shane Battier. I don't know how it can be illegal if you're not touching the other guy. You have to see how ludicrous that is. You can raise your hand to block a shooter's vision, but you can't get "too" close or they might call a tech on you. :wtf:

Completely absurd.

Its takes an extremely skilled player to this without hurting someone. Even Battier who is extremely coordinated has poked Ray Allen in the eye before a couple of years ago. Its an inherently dangerous basketball play and coaches do not coach it. They say get a hand up but not over their eyes...Just take you hand and jut it from you waist to 2 inches from you eyes...now imagine doing that off balance, full speed while tired and at another person who is also moving. That is a lot of variable and a very small window for error.

PleezeBelieve
05-07-2009, 05:40 PM
when this wack tactic is banned, it will seal my legacy on this board. I am way ahead of my time.

You all are really simple...in so many ways. Smartenup.

tastystaci
05-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Ok, so when the coach tells you to get a hand in the shooters face, do you pull out of tape measurer to make sure the distance isn't too close?

Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound? Battier's defense is what coaches preach ever since middle school. Get a hand up in the shooter's F-ing face.

This is what I don't understand. What determine's too close. I've been around the game for almost 30 years and I have never heard of this rule at the college level, and have NEVER seen it enforced. If someone can show me an instance of this being called, I will stand corrected, but every coach teaches this, every player is taught this.

wang4three
05-07-2009, 05:41 PM
What's so weak about it?

Younggrease
05-07-2009, 05:41 PM

I never think about it...I just dont conscienously jut my hand to point it could poke someone's eye out. I dont try to block people vision because I dont think it really bothers someone shot much and its too much risk for very little reward.

Yeah they preach illegal defense in middle school?

I actually had this convo last night sitting with 5 college athletes and none of them were ever taught to intentionally make there primary motive to cover the opposing players eyes...Its was always just get a hand up

GMAC
05-07-2009, 05:42 PM
This is what I don't understand. What determine's too close. I've been around the game for almost 30 years and I have never heard of this rule at the college level, and have NEVER seen it enforced. If someone can show me an instance of this being called, I will stand corrected, but every coach teaches this, every player is taught this.

Seriously, isn't it hard enough that Battier has to guard Kobe? Now, you want him to worry about how close he puts his hand Kobe's face? Give me an F-ing break.

nastywordz
05-07-2009, 05:45 PM
1. Nobody else does it because they cant do it without fouling. Battier obviously practiced this and mastered it.

2. When did shane battier ever touch kobes face? Until he does nobody should talk about injury since battier as i said has mastered this defensive mechanism.

3. If its illegal in other forms of basketball but not in the NBA why would you even bring up that argument? Its legal in the NBA so why wouldnt you use it? I guess Battier should just give up and let kobe do all he wants on the court...:confusedshrug:

4. Kobe used to do the same thing but he isnt as good as battier and constantly fouled players, he even poked t Mac in the eye...thats why he stopped. Battier has yet to poke or even touch somebodies face.

5. Do you see how hard Kobe has to work for his shots? Thats all that battier can do. you guys act like if Battier didnt leave kobe in single digits battier automatically failed.I dont know why people are hating battier...who else in the league can gaurd kobe one on one with minimal help on the perimeter? Battier is doing all he can and its a great job.

GMAC
05-07-2009, 05:45 PM
I never think about it...I just dont conscienously jut my hand to point it could poke someone's eye out. I dont try to block people vision because I dont think it really bothers someone shot much and its too much risk for very little reward.

Yeah they preach illegal defense in middle school?

"Get a hand up in the shooter's face". If you've never heard that before in your life, then you've never played organized basketball. Most of us try to do it whenever somebody shoots, but we don't have the skill or coordination to do what Battier does.

And it's not illegal defense. I have never seen a ref penalize a defender for sticking a hand up to block the shooter's line of sight. It's defense 101. Battier takes it quite literally and he's probably the only guy in the league who can pull it off with consistency.

Jordandunk23
05-07-2009, 06:04 PM
^ yeah i gotta agree younggrease, im not calling you a liar but you are definitely losing credibility.. you say you play a lot of ball and you were with 5 college guys a few nights ago?? and your telling me you never heard of a coach preaching to put ya hands up on the shooters face?! watch basketball games, battier is not the only person that does it...

every coach at all level preaches it, its basic basketball... you could hear coaches yelling it from the sidelines at times... hell kobe has put his hands up when players shoot the ball lol...

Younggrease
05-07-2009, 06:06 PM
"Get a hand up in the shooter's face". If you've never heard that before in your life, then you've never played organized basketball. Most of us try to do it whenever somebody shoots, but we don't have the skill or coordination to do what Battier does.

And it's not illegal defense. I have never seen a ref penalize a defender for sticking a hand up to block the shooter's line of sight. It's defense 101. Battier takes it quite literally and he's probably the only guy in the league who can pull it off with consistency.

Just listen to your contradiction...

1. It is basic bball as stated in you other posts and all coaches teach it

2. Shane Battier might be the only person in the NBA who can do it consistently

do you say the problem with those 2 statements. Thats why it was deemed too dangerous and because of that it was ruled illegal for all high school and college players to due it. There are only so many Shane Battiers.

[QUOTE=Jordandunk23] you say you play a lot of ball and you were with 5 college guys a few nights ago?? QUOTE]

I play bball with college players almost every day...I live on a college campus and Im a former bball player(23).

The term isnt a literal term...Its like a popular phrase it is not taught to try to primarily cover a shooters eyes. Im sorry but it isnt because it is dangerous to have do that.

GMAC
05-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Just listen to your contradiction...

1. It is basic bball as stated in you other posts and all coaches teach it

2. Shane Battier might be the only person in the NBA who can do it consistently

do you say the problem with those 2 statements. Thats why it was deemed too dangerous and because of that it was ruled illegal for all high school and college players to due it. There are only so many Shane Battiers.

I play bball with college players almost every day...I live on a college campus and Im a former bball player(23).

The term isnt a literal term...Its like a popular phrase it is not taught to try to primarily cover a shooters eyes. Im sorry but it isnt because it is dangerous to have do that.

Stop trying to argue with me. You're just making yourself look like an ass who has never stepped on a basketball court. I don't care about your credentials or basketball playing experience. This is a message board and you can just as easily pull stories and facts out of your ass without anybody disproving you.

Get a hand in the shooter's face. We've all heard it a million times. As long as you don't whack the guy in the face, then you're legit. If you do, give him free throws. Don't try to discredit Battier superb defense because he can do things you cannot. Only he can get a hand up in Kobe's face every single time, about 2-3 inches away from his nose. The fact that nobody else can do it doesn't make it illegal.

rezznor
05-07-2009, 06:17 PM
the obvious solution to kobe is to have this guy guard him

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/neluxe/GaelBigHands.jpg

paintingshade
05-07-2009, 06:36 PM

Here is a cut/paste from NFHS Basketball Rules Points of Emphasis:

Here is a cut/paste from the NCAA Rulebook, Page 142, Section 7, Article 4:

Here is a cut/paste from page 42 of 79, the FIBA Official Basketball Rulebook:

For the NBA, most people believe that it is covered under unsportsmanlike behavior, and is illegal just like at all other levels of basketball.

it's legal in the NBA. if you do it from behind, it's illegal. check the NBA rule book bro. you quoted everything but.

BallPhunk
05-07-2009, 06:50 PM

Exactly - which is why all the "you never played ball" replies are funny. I've played ball through college and coached a little. Many of you are interchanging getting a hand up with "cupping your hand and putting it a few inches from his face, looking like you're playing peek-a-boo".

Horribly bad analogy. Find one that involves walking with your toes a few inches over the line, which would work better... (I admire how hard Battier works btw)

This is America, where the game was invented, and this IS standard, textbook stuff. And you claim that you played college ball? Here? No coach here would teach you anything other than this, I promise, I have coached, albeit not at the college level. And let me ask you something, because I have no overseas experience. What the hell do they teach you to do? Keep your hands down? This doesn't make sense at all to me. How do you defend somebody taking a shot? This is honestly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Again, "getting your hands up" isn't this (please read quote, article linked at the bottom).

And if it's textbook stuff, please refer me to 10 other nba players who's standard practice is covering a players eyes a few inches from their faces. Should be easy if it IS standard textbook, right?

For the NBA, most people believe that it is covered under unsportsmanlike behavior, and is illegal just like at all other levels of basketball.

Thanks for bettering my point.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5fnKXILG92I/R9_nPuFOHgI/AAAAAAAAAUA/aT7QSAs5ud4/s400/talktothehand.jpg

BTW - found an old blog post on it. When I made the thread, I was talking more about how absurd what Battier does looks to me, but since more have mentioned the rules/sportsmanship...

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Tom7/2008/03/18/Face_Guarding_in_Basketball_What_Every_Sportscaste r_Player_Blogger_and_Fan_Should_Know

Excerpt:

"In the last few years, coaches and sports casters have taken to the phrase "put a hand in his face" which is to say, "Contest the shot."

Unfortunately, that phrase has been taken literally by people who haven't grown up playing the game of basketball in official organized settings like high school or college, or who have, but haven't been taught the basics, the fundamentals.

So, in summary, face guarding is illegal and has been since 1913. It is illegal at all levels of basketball from high school, to college to professional basketball. Face guarding is explicitly mentioned in high school rules, NCAA rules and FIBA rules, but while the NBA rule book contains provisions for penalizing players for face guarding, its lack of conformity with the rest of the basketball world leaves the issue open for debate.

Regardless, face guarding is a dangerous and unsportsmanlike practice that can easily do serious damage to the eyes of players, and is therefore well within the group of illegal activities for which the NBA has suspended players for in the past. Including Kobe Bryant."

tastystaci
05-07-2009, 07:05 PM
And if it's textbook stuff, please refer me to 10 other nba players who's standard practice is covering a players eyes a few inches from their faces. Should be easy if it IS standard textbook, right?

How about just 1

http://i40.tinypic.com/35n08sg.jpg

:roll:

Complete pawnage. Now, STFU please.

D-nugz
05-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Some people on ISH are just so damn stupid.

ukplayer4
05-07-2009, 07:25 PM
wow this thread is serious fail.

kobe fans are even complaining now that some players actually bother to play defense on kobe.

Tainted Sword
05-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Wow, some of you guys are just hopeless. I feel for ya youngrease. =(

How can what Battier is doing be textbook defense you learn as a kid when it's banned everywhere but the NBA? That's what YG has been saying this entire time and people are acting like he's speaking a foreign language.

Obviously Battier has mastered the skill, but it can be very dangerous. Even the slightest of miscalculations could cause some serious injury. Battier himself has f*cked up in the past when he accidentally poked Ray Allen in the eyes.

Either way I’ve been pretty satisfied with the Rockets D so far. They’re playing hard and are making us earn everything. We can’t just go through the emotions and expect to win with them. If we back down like a bunch of *****’s and lose we’ll deserve the L, but if we persevere like I think, we’ll be ready mentally for a defense team like Cleveland.

amfirst
05-07-2009, 08:07 PM
I think Battier overuse that hand in the face, it doesn't work no more. Kobe knows that he will never block his shot, so he can fully rotate the ball in his shot. Keep it up Battier. :lol

BallersTalk
05-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Probably why Kobe was talking to him the whole night. It's a really, really annoying tactic. It works though.
What people don't know is a few years ago, after Battier completely single-handedly shut him down, Kobe tried this same defensive tactic, but he had a hard time trying to avoid fouling the guy he was defending. One day Battier will teach him the art of defense...one day.

Jordandunk23
05-07-2009, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE=Tainted Sword]Wow, some of you guys are just hopeless. I feel for ya youngrease. =(

How can what Battier is doing be textbook defense you learn as a kid when it's banned everywhere but the NBA? That's what YG has been saying this entire time and people are acting like he's speaking a foreign language.

Obviously Battier has mastered the skill, but it can be very dangerous. Even the slightest of miscalculations could cause some serious injury. Battier himself has f*cked up in the past when he accidentally poked Ray Allen in the eyes.

Either way I

phoenix18
05-07-2009, 08:21 PM
No one is saying to put your hand 2 inches away from someones face but to block their vision so that they cant see the basket.

GMAC
05-07-2009, 08:25 PM
No one is saying to put your hand 2 inches away from someones face but to block their vision so that they cant see the basket.

Only Battier has the ABILITY to get a hand 2 inches away from Kobe's face. And this thread is whining about Battier somehow cheating the system, when every defender tries to do the same thing, but can't.

Like you say, the whole point is to block the vision of the shooter. If you have the ability to shove a hand right in somebody's face, you do it. The fact that you CAN'T doesn't make it illegal for Battier to do it when he can consistently.

It's called GREAT DEFENSE. It's doesn't matter if Kobe gets hot and continues to knock those shots down. You get a hand up every single time and make his points as hard as possible.

amfirst
05-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Only Battier has the ABILITY to get a hand 2 inches away from Kobe's face. And this thread is whining about Battier somehow cheating the system, when every defender tries to do the same thing, but can't.

Like you say, the whole point is to block the vision of the shooter. If you have the ability to shove a hand right in somebody's face, you do it. The fact that you CAN'T doesn't make it illegal for Battier to do it when he can consistently.

It's called GREAT DEFENSE. It's doesn't matter if Kobe gets hot and continues to knock those shots down. You get a hand up every single time and make his points as hard as possible.

It doesn't work on Kobe as seen last night. U have to try a block the ball, that way it messes up the ball rotation. Kobe knows Battier's trick so he takes his time to get a good release, knowing battier would just put a hand in his face.

twolvesfan
05-07-2009, 08:45 PM
It doesn't work on Kobe as seen last night. U have to try a block the ball, that way it messes up the ball rotation. Kobe knows Battier's trick so he takes his time to get a good release, knowing battier would just put a hand in his face.
lets see kobe do this day in and day out, then maybe we can question battiers defensive tactics

BallPhunk
05-07-2009, 08:46 PM
How about just 1

http://i40.tinypic.com/35n08sg.jpg

:roll:

Complete pawnage. Now, STFU please.

Glad you get a kick out of yourself, but your string of posts in this thread show your IQ. I asked for you to name me 10 players known for doing what Battier is known for (since you say it's text book), and you obviously can't. If you're trying to say the general "getting the hand up" is the same thing, you're a dope.

GMAC
05-07-2009, 08:47 PM

I'm sorry, but nobody can block a shooter's shot with consistency. Especially not Kobe's. And you're right, it doesn't work on Kobe....when he gets HOT.

But does it work when he's not on fire? Look no further than Game 1. If anything, it pisses Kobe the hell off to have to work so hard for every single point. That's why he was trash talking like a 12 year old in Game 2. That's why he kneed and elbowed Battier in the head in Game 1.

As the series wears on, we'll see if Battier's strategy works. If Kobe is going to shoot the lights out, then NOBODY has a chance at guarding him. If anybody can make his life miserable, it would be Mr. Shane.

iamgine
05-07-2009, 08:47 PM
This play, indeed, should be banned. It's not weak, if anything, it is very dangerous. It's like saying "you better jump correctly or your eye might get poked out". It's like defending by putting your feet below a jumpshooter's feet.

GMAC
05-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Glad you get a kick out of yourself, but you're string of posts in this thread show your IQ. I asked for you to name me 10 players known for doing what Battier is known for (since you say it's text book), and you obviously can't. If you're trying to say the general "getting the hand up" is the same thing, you're a dope.

Actually, you just kicked yourself in the face. How do you name 10 players known for Battier's defense when only HE can pull it out with consistency? If other defenders COULD, they WOULD do it. Only they can't. They would end up fouling Kobe 90% of the time.

There's a reason the guy is on the 2nd team All-Defense (should be 1st team). Nobody can do the things he does on defense.

GMAC
05-07-2009, 08:51 PM
This play, indeed, should be banned. It's not weak, if anything, it is very dangerous. It's like saying "you better jump correctly or your eye might get poked out". It's like defending by putting your feet below a jumpshooter's feet.

Correct, it WOULD be dangerous....if Kwame Brown tried to do the same thing. But obviously, he's not a top 5 perimeter defender in the league, like Battier.

Younggrease
05-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Actually, you just kicked yourself in the face. How do you name 10 players known for Battier's defense when only HE can pull it out with consistency? If other defenders COULD, they WOULD do it. Only they can't. They would end up fouling Kobe 90% of the time.

There's a reason the guy is on the 2nd team All-Defense (should be 1st team). Nobody can do the things he does on defense.

then why do you claim every coach teaches you to do it when susposedly on Battier can do it(i do not agree with that assumption)...why would coaches teach things only Battier could do without fouling...Your contradicting yourself again

twolvesfan
05-07-2009, 08:54 PM
then why do you claim every coach teaches you to do it when susposedly on Battier can do it(i do not agree with that assumption)...why would coaches teach things only Battier could do without fouling...Your contradicting yourself again
well the reason they would teach it is to see if the people they are teaching can do it...

GMAC
05-07-2009, 08:55 PM

There's a difference between teaching somebody to do it and actually having the ability to do it. Obviously, none of us play in the NBA and aren't even capable of contesting shots in that fashion. We are taught to get a hand in the shooter's face, but we simply do not have the ability or coordination to pull it off (to the degree of 2 inches from the nose).

Why do I have to continually repeat myself? I'm not contradicting sh*t. I'm saying the same thing over and over to the same people.

iamgine
05-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Correct, it WOULD be dangerous....if Kwame Brown tried to do the same thing. But obviously, he's not a top 5 perimeter defender in the league, like Battier.
Obviously some is very skilled at it it becomes somewhat safe, doesn't change the fact that it needs to be banned because it's a very dangerous play.

twolvesfan
05-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Obviously some is very skilled at it it becomes somewhat safe, doesn't change the fact that it needs to be banned because it's a very dangerous play.
who has ever got hurt by it?

BallPhunk
05-07-2009, 08:59 PM

I know you think you've come up with this brilliant idea that only Battier has perfected this, but I hate to break it to you that it's absurd.

And:

Can't have it both ways GMAC. That said, the flaw in your logic that only one man in the NBA is talented enough to hold his closed hand 5 inches from someones face is bad enough regardless.

GMAC
05-07-2009, 09:00 PM

You know what's a dangerous play? Elbowing somebody in the throat, but I guess that only warrants a post-game Flagrant 1 when it comes to Kobe's elbows.

apesta
05-07-2009, 09:03 PM
so putting your hands up for defense is weak then? Battier isn't gonna be able to block kobe's shots. The best he can do is to cover his face to distract him. Whats wrong with that? I use the same technique and at most times, it bothers the shooter.

iamgine
05-07-2009, 09:04 PM
You know what's a dangerous play? Elbowing somebody in the throat, but I guess that only warrants a post-game Flagrant 1 when it comes to Kobe's elbows.
Yes that deserve a suspension at the very least. we changing the subject now? :oldlol:

GMAC
05-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Oh, and in my furious typing, I forgot to the address the question posed by the OP.

Is there something weaker than Battier covering Kobe's eyes?

Here, take a look for yourself, courtesy of Bruce Bowen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdxXvkMB6gA&feature=PlayList&p=430946E2B25A8797&index=55

BallPhunk
05-07-2009, 09:08 PM

It's was obvious already, but you've just shown your bias on the subject. It's bush league when Battier does it and it was when he pissed off Kobe so he tried it on Tmac (and hurt him).

And if you've watched the news recently you'd see that Kobe didn't come close to his throat.

BallPhunk
05-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Oh, and in my furious typing, I forgot to the address the question posed by the OP.

Here, take a look for yourself, courtesy of Bruce Bowen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdxXvkMB6gA&feature=PlayList&p=430946E2B25A8797&index=55

:applause:

Agreed - this is 1000% worse. Battier doesn't think what he's doing could really hurt someone. Bowen, who I once admired, is a dirty sob imho.

Manute for Ever!
05-07-2009, 10:58 PM
I've played plenty of ball, and it's weak sauce. Laughable.

Did you win? :roll:

LALakerFan4Life
05-07-2009, 11:06 PM
This just cracks me up everytime I see it. So the tough defenders pull at jerseys, grab, elbow, etc...

But now to admit that someone is so tough to guard that you actually close your hand and try to cover their eyes?

http://slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/shane_battier_kobe_bryant.jpg

:wtf:

Killbot
05-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Umm...ok... so you prefer the shooter to see the basket when he's shooting rather than him seeing only a hand? :wtf:

hayden695
05-07-2009, 11:29 PM

thats a lie... atleast where im from, ive tried to mimic my perimeter d like battiers and i noticed he always did that and i thought it was a great idea because a) you get a hand in his face and it screws them up and b) you dont have to jump your highest to try and block the shot which makes a huge difference IMO because you just have to reach eye level compared to wherever the player releases the ball and for me it screws them up always. ive never had anything called on me for it but who knows im from canada maybe rules are different:confusedshrug:

edit: just read your post on the rules which i did not read at first sorry for saying you were lying, but i havent ever been called

Ode2Odom
05-07-2009, 11:47 PM

Yeah, Kobe's eyelids! Bwahahahahahaa. :roll:

Jordandunk23
05-07-2009, 11:54 PM
thats a lie... atleast where im from, ive tried to mimic my perimeter d like battiers and i noticed he always did that and i thought it was a great idea because a) you get a hand in his face and it screws them up and b) you dont have to jump your highest to try and block the shot which makes a huge difference IMO because you just have to reach eye level compared to wherever the player releases the ball and for me it screws them up always. ive never had anything called on me for it but who knows im from canada maybe rules are different:confusedshrug:

edit: just read your post on the rules which i did not read at first sorry for saying you were lying, but i havent ever been called

i played in highschool and saw many highschool games... never got called...

jc23
05-07-2009, 11:56 PM
I was taught to do this in grade 7, shows how much ball you've played.

kobesabi
05-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Yes there is something weaker....standing around and watch...NO DEFENSE.

What's stronger then? You're not suggesting he use Artest's broken table legs are you?

hayden695
05-08-2009, 12:04 AM

thats what i was saying then he pulled up some rules that said it was a technical (i think) then i said sorry for saying it was a lie but that ive never been called on it

Zak
05-08-2009, 12:06 AM

yea, my coach even tells us to try that, instead of jumping for the black and getting blown by on a pump fake, or hitting their hand and fouling.

Manute for Ever!
05-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Any half-decent coach will bench you for not doing it...

Spucko
05-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Haha, OP got owned..

xtn5021
05-08-2009, 12:51 AM
My god this is a retarded thread. That's like a fundamental of good basketball defense..

L8kersfan222
05-08-2009, 01:00 AM
I do it to people taller than me on the post when they use the jumphook. I must be weak.

Al Thornton
05-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Haha, OP got owned..

This worst thread ever.

john_d
05-08-2009, 01:09 AM
failed attempt to make kobe look like a god ^^

godofgods
05-08-2009, 01:16 AM
There are many things weaker than that. For example: Kobe pretending to dust himself after being *****slapped by Raja Bell. Kobe elbowing foreigners. Many more.

Rob123
05-08-2009, 01:38 AM

Bro you're full of ****. I've played ball at the highest levels my whole life, including the collegiate level. Where'd you play, a technical school? You're coach was retarded for not teaching you to play defense that way.

I wish I could replicate Battiers defense.

paintingshade
05-08-2009, 03:44 AM
omg are you guys really still arguing about this. it IS illegal EVERYWHERE BUT the NBA. in the nba you can do it if you're in front of them. if you do it from behind, that's a foul.

Manute for Ever!
05-08-2009, 04:39 AM
omg are you guys really still arguing about this. it IS illegal EVERYWHERE BUT the NBA. in the nba you can do it if you're in front of them. if you do it from behind, that's a foul.

BS. It is textbook D.

Toizumi
05-08-2009, 04:49 AM
That's why there are rules..

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/134/317774108_e5fe7aded0.jpg?v=0

NO FOUL

http://photos.oregonlive.com/photos/oregonian/873b1ea014404731798e283fde5161ca.jpg

FOUL

paintingshade
05-08-2009, 06:14 AM
BS. It is textbook D.

no dude, I'm agreeing with you. it's illegal (by the book) everywhere but the nba. SO it's fine when battier does it, it's good d. hell I do it in pickup games, shuts down my man usually.

allball
05-08-2009, 10:15 AM
this is a dumb post but i prefer a defender raise his hand at the release point which could alter the shot. most good shooters including myself aren't bothered by the hand to the face.

mattevans11
05-08-2009, 11:41 AM
the real question should be

"Is there anything smarter the Battier covering Kobe's eyes"

the answer................................NOOOOOOOO

ILballa
05-08-2009, 11:07 PM
:oldlol:

bigkingsfan
05-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Game 3: 11-28
Game 4: 7-17

Gotta love Shane effort on this play, was beaten and still got a hand in Kobe's face. :bowdown:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2n22ovq.jpg

konex
05-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Battier is such a *****. WTF is that?

Bush4Ever
05-10-2009, 07:27 PM
How is this thread 10 pages long?

The OP wouldn't know good defense if it crawled up his bunghole.

The end.

Xsatyr
05-10-2009, 07:31 PM
How is this thread 10 pages long?

The OP wouldn't know good defense if it crawled up his bunghole.

The end.That is not defense, that is a criminal offense. Unless he wanted it up his bunghole then it would be consentual.

mattevans11
05-10-2009, 07:34 PM
anyone else want battier to do this just once.....

when kobe misses a shot with a hand in the face...... anyone want battier to start shaking his head...look at the commentator and say "This guy can't score on me"

or after he hits a three do the same thing and say "This guy cant guard me"

not that kobe cannot guard him or score on him... but just to see that would be great.....

ProfessorMurder
05-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Battier is such a *****. WTF is that?

It's a thing called DEFENSE. Look it up sometime.

jaydoom88
05-10-2009, 09:45 PM
All I can say is that anything Shane does is better than having Artest on Kobe..have you noticed how easily Kobe blows by Ron Ron this series? Looks like he's lost a step, he's also a bit too bulky to keep up

NBASTATMAN
05-10-2009, 11:03 PM

That is weak.. That defense isn't going to slow down a player like kobe.. Plus by the time he gets his hands to kobe eyes the shot is up already..

NBASTATMAN
05-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Game 3: 11-28
Game 4: 7-17

Gotta love Shane effort on this play, was beaten and still got a hand in Kobe's face. :bowdown:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2n22ovq.jpg

while i don't like the hand in his face defense... That right there was a good defensive play.. But Kobe has a harder time against guys that get him off his rythym.. Get him out of areas where he can hurt the defense as well.. PPierce has a patent on defending Kobe..