PDA

View Full Version : How good would Yao Ming be if his arms were longer?

Basketball Dirk
05-08-2009, 11:24 PM
They too short for his height.

KeylessEntry
05-08-2009, 11:26 PM
How good would Yao Ming be if his body was shorter?

dafunkphenom
05-08-2009, 11:27 PM
He'd still suck and be the biggest overrated stiff in the NBA like I've said in countless other Yao threads.

Valliant13
05-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Yao's arm are pretty short for his height...but he still has one of the highest standing reaches in the NBA so it's not a huge issue. I actually wonder if having a shorter lever helps him shoot so well for a mutant bigman.

lukeridnour08
05-09-2009, 12:34 PM
its hard to have good touch with long arms.

Toizumi
05-09-2009, 12:47 PM
How many trophies would Jordan if it wasnt for Pippen?
How good would nate robinson be if he was 7'5?
Did kobe rape her?

we'll never know :confusedshrug:

OldSchoolBBall
05-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Yao's arm are pretty short for his height...but he still has one of the highest standing reaches in the NBA so it's not a huge issue. I actually wonder if having a shorter lever helps him shoot so well for a mutant bigman.

Anyone know what Yao's standing reach is? I wouldn't be surprised if Bynum/Gasol have an equal or greater reach despite being 5" shorter.

lefthook00
05-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Anyone know what Yao's standing reach is? I wouldn't be surprised if Bynum/Gasol have an equal or greater reach despite being 5" shorter.

It would be close...Bynum would be more like 7'3"/7'4" if his neck/head was proportional to the rest of his body, he looks like a turtle above the shoulders.

ProfessorMurder
05-09-2009, 02:25 PM
It would be close...Bynum would be more like 7'3"/7'4" if his neck/head was proportional to the rest of his body, he looks like a turtle above the shoulders.

I was thinking the same thing about his weirdly small head.

But I think the better question is... How good would Yao be if he could jump?

A.M.G.
05-09-2009, 03:18 PM
I was thinking the same thing about his weirdly small head.

But I think the better question is... How good would Yao be if he could jump?
A better question still might be "how ****ed up would Yao's knees be if he could jump?"

GMAC
05-09-2009, 03:20 PM
How good would Yao be if had have Wolverine's healing ability? How about TMac for that matter?

JohnnySic
05-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Yao does have short arms. I never noticed Bynum's small head, but now that people point it out...

One thing I did notice is that Derrick Rose seems to have proportionately short legs. If his legs were proportional to his upper body he'd be 6'5"+...

lefthook00
05-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Yao does have short arms. I never noticed Bynum's small head, but now that people point it out...

One thing I did notice is that Derrick Rose seems to have proportionately short legs. If his legs were proportional to his upper body he'd be 6'5"+...

It's not only his small head, its his short neck and flat shoulders(his trapezius muscles are tiny).
http://www.celticsvlakers.com/Images/Laker%20Photos/Andrew_Bynum.jpg

Look how long his arms are!!!
http://thesynopsis.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/andrew_bynum_mip_1.jpg

Throw Rajon Rondo into that category with Derrick Rose too. He is definitely a knuckle dragger.
http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/p5/20080501/02/2012691574.jpg

iTruWarrior
05-09-2009, 05:14 PM
How good would Tracy McGrady be, if he didn't have so many female genes in him? :confusedshrug:

nbastatus
05-09-2009, 05:30 PM
much slower.

InfiniteBaskets
05-09-2009, 06:38 PM
How about Yao with Dwight's athleticism. Or Yao with a LeBron type build.

BallPhunk
05-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Not sure how much longer they could be and it still be fair to the rest of the league?

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8749/yaolongarmsballphunk.jpg

He can already nearly layup from the line... :D

royalbluecosby
05-09-2009, 08:11 PM
how good would Yao Ming be if he had Mister Fantastics power of elasticity. threads like this are dumb.

BallPhunk
05-09-2009, 08:14 PM
how good would Yao Ming be if he had Mister Fantastics power of elasticity. threads like this are dumb.

You've been registered 2 years and are sitting at 24 posts - you wasted your one post this month with that gem?

:cheers:

BallersTalk
05-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Yao would be exponentially better if he had longer arms. Keep in mind, standing reach doesn't really mean too much on defense because when he goes for a block his body almost always will hit the guy he's defending. With longer arms, he could just stretch across and block everything instead of almost ALWAYS bumping the guy. That's why he's not a great shotblocker. Yeah, his defensive instincts aren't exactly elite, but it has more to do with his arm length. When you reach a certain height (at least for basketball), more arm length would be more useful than additional height.

I guarantee if Yao's arm length was more proportionally average with regards to his height, he would be leading the league in blocked shots every year and he wouldn't foul nearly as much on the defensive end. He'd probably lead the league in rebounding too.

Killbot
05-09-2009, 08:40 PM
I think that might be worse.
His offensive game changes and plus with long arms, that adds more burden to his legs and feet

BallersTalk
05-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I think that might be worse.
His offensive game changes and plus with long arms, that adds more burden to his legs and feet
How would it hurt? Basketball is a sport where length is king.

Killbot
05-09-2009, 08:56 PM
How would it hurt? Basketball is a sport where length is king.

I'm thinking with long arms he will have a harder time shooting freethrows.
Plus, I don't think it's a good idea to be adding more weight to his injury prone legs.

BallersTalk
05-09-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm thinking with long arms he will have a harder time shooting freethrows.
Plus, I don't think it's a good idea to be adding more weight to his injury prone legs.
He wouldn't be adding that much more weight, IMO. At least not enough to make a difference. How would he have more trouble shooting FT's? He's one of the best FT shooters in the NBA. That takes practice and discipline. None of which he loses with additional length.

Gad23
05-10-2009, 12:42 AM
his wingspan is like 7'4 or something. wouldnt be suprised if someone like howard or kg has a similiar wingspan.

supersmashbros
05-18-2009, 10:34 AM
It's not only his small head, its his short neck and flat shoulders(his trapezius muscles are tiny).
http://www.celticsvlakers.com/Images/Laker%20Photos/Andrew_Bynum.jpg

Look how long his arms are!!!
http://thesynopsis.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/andrew_bynum_mip_1.jpg

Players like Kevin Mchale, Phil Jackson, Adam Morrison, and Shawn Marion also have the same built which allowed them to effectively play much taller than their listed height.
I also have the same extremely high shoulders built as those guys btw. Which is why I appear taller than I actually am (cause my shoulders are higher than most people of the same height).

gpfanz
05-18-2009, 10:38 AM
They too short for his height.

How good would Kobe be if his balls were bigger? :violin:

chocolatethunder
05-18-2009, 11:52 AM
I think that Yao is 7'6" tall. I believe that his wingspan is 7'5 1/2" or something like that. That means his wingspan is a whopping 1/2 inches shorter than his height. That means each arm is 1/4" shorter than normal. So essentially his wingspan is fine and he is considered to be in proportion.

lefthook00
05-18-2009, 11:58 AM
I think that Yao is 7'6" tall. I believe that his wingspan is 7'5 1/2" or something like that. That means his wingspan is a whopping 1/2 inches shorter than his height. That means each arm is 1/4" shorter than normal. So essentially his wingspan is fine and he is considered to be in proportion.

Ya but ballers usually have much bigger wingspans than their height.

supersmashbros
05-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Ya but ballers usually have much bigger wingspans than their height.
I am not sure if anyone has brought this up yet, but wingspan also measures the width of the shoulders. Yao has relatively very narrow shoulders. So his wingspan is gonna be shorter than somebody with the same (or even shorter) arm length but with much broader shoulders.

btw, it's also worth noting that neck length is based on the largely elevation of the shoulders (the actual length of the cervical proportion of the spine doesn't very much between individuals). Therefore, high, box-like square shoulders (like Andrew Bynum's) are commitments of a short neck, and low-sloping shoulders are associated with a long neck (like Yao Ming).

TearDrop
05-18-2009, 01:00 PM
According to this link (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1495244/bio), his standing reach is 9'8" and he had 26" vertical from standing still prior to the injuries. Meaning he can touch 11'10" from standing still jump? Can he touch 12'6" from running jump? This is prior to his injuries.

Some website says his highest touch is only 11'6" and maybe that's right based on thsi pic.
http://photo.sohu.com/77/55/Img212065577.jpg

SilkyJohnson
05-18-2009, 01:01 PM
[Kobe stan]Imagine if Kobe's dick was longer...[/Kobe stan]

Johnni Gade
05-18-2009, 01:02 PM
he already got pretty big arms

Chalkmaze
05-18-2009, 01:09 PM
How good would Yao be if Darth Vader was his father? :D

supersmashbros
05-18-2009, 01:24 PM
he already got pretty big arms
Yeah, you are right. I don't think having slightly longer arms or a bigger wingspan (from having longer arms and/or broader shoulders) would make that much of a difference for Yao. On the plus side, his freakishly muscular legs and very broad hips might help him in standing ground (rather than having freakishly broad shoulders but very narrow hips and beanpole legs)

supersmashbros
05-18-2009, 01:31 PM
How good would Yao be if Darth Vader was his father? :D
Maybe he could use the Force to extend his reach for shot blocking and rebounding by a good foot (but not shooting because that requires too much Force).
"May the Vertical Leap be with you"

TearDrop
05-18-2009, 01:55 PM
In a way, God or nature is very fair to all of us...

1. Imagine how would Shaq dominate IF he has with good work ethic and 90% FT percentage.
2. Yao is really big, but he is slow and his max vertical now is probably 18". But he has big legs, big butt, good shooting touch and about 90% FT percentage.

Do you really wanna see a 7'6" giant throwing down dunks from 3 point line? Would be amazing but won't be fair to midgets below 7'.
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc344/libero_msia/Yao_3pointdunk.jpg

supersmashbros
05-18-2009, 02:50 PM
In a way, God or nature is very fair to all of us...

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc344/libero_msia/Yao_3pointdunk.jpg
Yeah that's a nice photoshop btw (if you did that yourself, then :rockon: ) I know Dwight Howard was suppose to be in that pic instead btw.
As for the fairness of natural ability, I would disagree because overall we are not equal either. But wouldn't life be bland if everyone was equal?

greensborohill
05-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Glass Joe
Von Kaiser
Piston Honda

Don Flaminco
Great Tiger
King Hippo
Bald Bull

Soda Pop Pinski
Mr. Sandman
Super Macho Man

MIKE TYSON!!!!

OldSchoolBBall
05-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Not sure how much longer they could be and it still be fair to the rest of the league?

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8749/yaolongarmsballphunk.jpg

He can already nearly layup from the line... :D

Nice photoshop. :oldlol: What's funny is that those are basically Pau Gasol/Bynum/Odom's dimensions. Imagine Yao with a wingspan that's 6-8+" longer than his height like those guys have. Insane. It'd actually look like that pic.

supersmashbros
05-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Nice photoshop. :oldlol: What's funny is that those are basically Pau Gasol/Bynum/Odom's dimensions. Imagine Yao with a wingspan that's 6-8+" longer than his height like those guys have. Insane. It'd actually look like that pic.
I don't think anyone has arms that long lol. Unless you are part-Gibbon of course...http://www.itsnature.org/Trees/images/article-images/Gibbon.jpg
btw, I am not sure if I have already mentioned this, but WINGSPAN also measures the WIDTH of the SHOULDERS. Yao has very narrow shoulders which is also why his wingspan suffers--his arms don't actually seem that short for his stature. Similarly, those folks with the really long wingspans (much longer than their height) almost inevitably have very very broad shoulders.