PDA

View Full Version : NBA admits mistake in Nuggets-Mavs game

bagelred
05-09-2009, 11:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4155285

The NBA says officials were wrong when they didn't call an intentional foul on the Dallas Mavericks just before Denver's Carmelo Anthony made a game-winning 3-pointer.

"At the end of the Dallas-Denver game this evening, the officials missed an intentional foul committed by Antoine Wright on Carmelo Anthony, just prior to Anthony's three-point basket," Joel Litvin, NBA president of league and basketball operations, said in a statement issued by the league about two hours after the game.

That should make Mark Cuban happy. Everything is ok now..... :rolleyes:

BALLin01
05-09-2009, 11:12 PM
That should make Mark Cuban happy. Everything is ok now.....

Not really, they still lost

bagelred
05-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Not really, they still lost

BALLin01 meet Sarcasm. Sarcasm meet BALLin01.

OneMoreSucka
3-0 :applause:

NBASTATMAN
That should make Mark Cuban happy. Everything is ok now.....

The NBA is garbage.. I am glad I am a fan of the Clips and not of some team that thinks they have a chance to make it to the finals because that stuff has been predetermined by the OFFICES.. Remember this is a business.. I am sure the lakers and the overRATED Cavs will make the finals...

oh the horror
05-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, because Dallas winning this game would have been the tide turner eh? Dallas had no chance from day one dude.

It has nothing to do with the league being rigged.

BALLin01
05-09-2009, 11:21 PM
BALLin01 meet Sarcasm. Sarcasm meet BALLin01.

I'm sorry, I don't understand sarcasm over the internet.

Mile High Crew
05-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Game Over /thread

Jordandunk23
05-09-2009, 11:25 PM
iono to me what i saw was wright pulling both hands back as if to gesture he did not commit a foul... if he was REALLY committing an intentional foul, you do not pull both hands back, if he was really trying to commit an intentional foul, he would not pull his hands back til the whistle is called... i dont know, looks too obvious to even be argued but then againt does it even really matter?? Nuggets are 3-0 regardless..

~primetime~
05-09-2009, 11:31 PM
iono to me what i saw was wright pulling both hands back as if to gesture he did not commit a foul... if he was REALLY committing an intentional foul, you do not pull both hands back, if he was really trying to commit an intentional foul, he would not pull his hands back til the whistle is called... i dont know, looks too obvious to even be argued but then againt does it even really matter?? Nuggets are 3-0 regardless..
WHEN YOU COMMIT A FOUL ON PURPOSE MOST PLAYERS RAISE THEIR HANDS AS TO SAY "I DID IT!!!"

Why can't people see that???

It is clear as day that he was trying to foul...the damn NBA is even admitting it...

This should be enough for NBA fans to admitt the call was blown...

BigTicket
05-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Well at least they admitted what was already obvious to everyone. Doesn't help the Mavs of course, but lets be real, they were going to lose this series regardless.

#1SportsFan86
05-09-2009, 11:34 PM
3-0 :applause:

you better enjoy all this now because you have not a chance in hell vs. the Lakers.

nashisbest
05-09-2009, 11:36 PM
WHEN YOU COMMIT A FOUL ON PURPOSE MOST PLAYERS RAISE THEIR HANDS AS TO SAY "I DID IT!!!"

It is clear as day that he was trying to foul...the damn NBA is even admitting it...

if u watch the clip again his gesture was quite clearly to signal no foul cos melo immediately shot a three. he didn't wanna give an AND1

i always thought you raise ONE hand to signal an intentional foul

in any case, wouldn't wrapping his arms around melo be a more obvious intentional foul. i thought that was just dumba$$ on his part

and they lost

Mile High Crew
05-09-2009, 11:38 PM
To all of you who don't understand why we Nuggets fans believe that it wasn't a foul please click and read the following link:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3001461#post3001461

Killer_Instinct
05-09-2009, 11:42 PM
if u watch the clip again his gesture was quite clearly to signal no foul cos melo immediately shot a three. he didn't wanna give an AND1

in any case, wouldn't wrapping his arms around melo be a more obvious intentional foul. i thought that was just dumba$$ on his part

and they lost

Obviously. It was an idiotic mistake to not do so, and he relied on the refs making the call instead of making the intentional foul 100% clear and wrapping him up. He banked on the refs making a call that it seemed he ran away from initially, and was left out to dry. Idiotic, unfourtantate play, but he has no one to blame but himself.

Oh, and you don't stop playing defense until you hear the whistle. The fact he stopped and watched Melo didn't help.

04mzwach
05-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Fouling in that situation should be illegal and the NBA shouldn't of admitted that. It wasn't that blatant of a foul.

Juges8932
05-09-2009, 11:43 PM

and they lost

Yep, exactly what you said. :cheers:

kkling
05-09-2009, 11:45 PM
To all of you who don't understand why we Nuggets fans believe that it wasn't a foul please click and read the following link:

"Mark Wunderlich, one of the three officials for that game last year, was part of the crew for the Denver-Dallas game Saturday night and was the one closest to Wright and Anthony.

I'm almost as disappointed for Mark as I am for us. ... It's a call he makes 100 percent of the time," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said after Saturday's game.

Added Wright: "I was positive a whistle was coming, just like everybody else was positive the whistle was coming. I made a play on the ball like I was told in the huddle, and the call wasn't made. ... I'm upset like everyone else in this locker room, and I feel like we have a right to be upset."

Sucks for the Mavs, and most of us knew it was a BS no call.

GOBB
05-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Obviously. It was an idiotic mistake to not do so, and he relied on the refs making the call instead of making the intentional foul 100% clear and wrapping him up. He banked on the refs making a call that it seemed he ran away from initially, and was left out to dry. Idiotic, unfourtantate play, but he has no one to blame but himself.

Oh, and you don't stop playing defense until you hear the whistle. The fact he stopped and watched Melo didn't help.

He stopped playing defense, putting his hands in air to avoid a shooting foul from being called. His intentional foul was on the ground. Why would he continue playing defense only to risk fouling Melo? Then you are sitting here telling me how A.Wrght is dumb for fouling a guy shooting a 3pt shot.

He should have wrapped him up instead of relying on the refs to call the foul. That would have ended everything.

bagelred
05-09-2009, 11:48 PM
NBA admitting it was a foul is like George Bush admitting there were no WMDs.

"Woops.....our bad.....oh well.....we'll get it right next time......maybe........"

LbloodOjunkieG
05-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, because Dallas winning this game would have been the tide turner eh? Dallas had no chance from day one dude.

I hate it when people think this. Anyone remember a certain 8 seed knocking off the Mavericks a few years ago? Nobody thought the Warriors would knock the top seeded Mav's out, yet they did. This is why you play the games.

OneMoreSucka
05-09-2009, 11:49 PM
I hate it when people think this. Anyone remember a certain 8 seed knocking off the Mavericks a few years ago? Nobody thought the Warriors would knock the top seeded Mav's out, yet they did. This is why you play the games.
And they played the game. The Mavs lost.

Jordandunk23
05-09-2009, 11:50 PM

no sir, you raise one hand, to gesture you committed the foul and you do it AFTER the whistle... you don't pull your hand back IMMEDIATELY after committing it because in that situation during an intentional foul, you want to make sure it gets called... his body language is SO OBVIOUS, that he did not want to get called for the fould, he backed away and put two hands up... you are so biased and you are looking through homer glasses that you are convincing yourself otherwise... there is a reason everybody else is saying it was not an intentional foul... because it wasn't....

AGAIN, either way it doesn't matter because it's 3-0

OneMoreSucka
05-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Can't we all just agree that Antoine Wright is a dumbass so we can all get along?

oh the horror

Theyre playing, and from the onset, its been pretty one sided with the exception of a few things here and there. One team is clearly better, and some wont accept that, so they cry "rigged"

Because you know, a Denver/LA finals is like the most media hyped event of the decade.

~primetime~
no sir, you raise one hand, to gesture you committed the foul and you do it AFTER the whistle... you don't pull your hand back IMMEDIATELY after committing it because in that situation during an intentional foul, you want to make sure it gets called... his body language is SO OBVIOUS, that he did not want to get called for the fould, he backed away and put two hands up... you are so biased and you are looking through homer glasses that you are convincing yourself otherwise... there is a reason everybody else is saying it was not an intentional foul... because it wasn't....

AGAIN, either way it doesn't matter because it's 3-0
look dude...the NBA came forward and admitted they made a mistake...

EVEN THEY ARE SAYING I AM RIGHT!!!

and it isn't 3-0

it is 3-0*

Kumo
05-09-2009, 11:53 PM

It shouldn't matter what the player did... they should have called it a foul.

Killer_Instinct
He stopped playing defense, putting his hands in air to avoid a shooting foul from being called. His intentional foul was on the ground. Why would he continue playing defense only to risk fouling Melo? Then you are sitting here telling me how A.Wrght is dumb for fouling a guy shooting a 3pt shot.
He should have wrapped him up instead of relying on the refs to call the foul. That would have ended everything.

The whistle never blew. How is he risking fouling Anthony, when the whistle has yet to blow, and he is trying to give a foul? You typed all of that just to say in the last sentence what I and almost everyone who isn't a Mavs fan said; that he should have wrapped him up to avoid all of this.

OneMoreSucka

and it isn't 3-0

it is 3-0*
No, it's 3-0.

04mzwach
NBA admitting it was a foul is like George Bush admitting there were no WMDs.

"Woops.....our bad.....oh well.....we'll get it right next time......maybe........"
True, the NBA doesn't know if that was a foul and Bush doesn't know if there are still WMDs in Iraq. Funny.

04mzwach
05-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Lebron On Espn News....now!

~primetime~
05-09-2009, 11:54 PM
No, it's 3-0.
nope...

it is 3-0*

forever...

oh the horror
05-09-2009, 11:55 PM
nope...

it is 3-0*

forever...

Right, because youre going to sit there with a straight face, and act like Dallas was going to make a valiant come back in this series? Or what?

miles berg
05-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Dirk Nowitzki is averaging 30/10 on like 50% shooting and the Mavs are down 3-0. One foul call isnt the difference, it is the talent of the roster, the mojo Denver has right now, & Denver executing their coach's system much better than Dallas that is the difference.

Stop blaming the foul. I am glad Dallas lost, hopefully now they will reload in the offseason like they did in 2004 and give it one last 3-5 season run around Dirk.

Dallas just doesnt have enough talent around Dirk.

LbloodOjunkieG
05-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Theyre playing, and from the onset, its been pretty one sided with the exception of a few things here and there. One team is clearly better, and some wont accept that, so they cry "rigged"

Because you know, a Denver/LA finals is like the most media hyped event of the decade.

I'm certainly not crying that the game is rigged. Again, your missing the point that although Denver is clearly the better team, it's not like upsets don't happen. I want the Nuggets to take the series, but I certainly think that a foul should have been called, no question.

~primetime~
05-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Right, because youre going to sit there with a straight face, and act like Dallas was going to make a valiant come back in this series? Or what?
I am going to sit here with a straight face and act like we should have won today...

by your logic we should just skip the entire damn playoffs and just go straight to Lakers/Cavs

What the Mavs would have gone on to do in the future is pointless to even bring up...

GOBB
The whistle never blew. How is he risking fouling Anthony, when the whistle has yet to blow, and he is trying to give a foul? You typed all of that just to say in the last sentence what I and almost everyone who isn't a Mavs fan said; that he should have wrapped him up to avoid all of this.

I typed all that because you and others keep mentioning him putting his hands up, backing off. I'm showing you WHY he did that. As a defender with 1 foul to give you just assume the ref will know the situation at hand and give you the call. Thats his fault for assuming wrong. Try reading sometime.

Whistle never blew because he expected it too. The play happened so quick. He bumped, reached in to Melo and expected a foul call. By that time Melo is gathering the ball to shoot the 3. He wants to avoid a shooting foul which offensive players try to sell the refs. Really simple.

We both agree he should have just wrapped him up once Melo regained controlled of the ball. And we arent here arguing this. But the rest of my post touched on what you spoke on so dont act like a wise ass kid.

Blame goes to the ref. And blame goes to A.Wright. The end.

Everyone moves on.

Gundress

Hey...you have to admit it.....that was weak inter foul, it doesnt look like a foul to me...Blame on Wright. Dallas made a bad move to put Wright on Melo. His body language made it seem so obviously, it didnt foul. he puts his arms up.

#1SportsFan86
05-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Lebron On Espn News....now!

run to your T.V. before it's to late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LbloodOjunkieG
05-10-2009, 12:03 AM
by your logic we should just skip the entire damn playoffs and just go straight to Lakers/Cavs

Of course!! I mean, why bother playing the game if upset's aren't possible? Why even have a playoff system when we can just have the top team from both conferences play each other?!?

NugzFan
05-10-2009, 12:03 AM
you better enjoy all this now because you have not a chance in hell vs. the Lakers.

what does that have to do with anything?

since the mavs had no shot vs LA, i guess this loss is ok with them too?

NugzFan
05-10-2009, 12:04 AM

and it isn't 3-0

it is 3-0*

make it 3-0*****

i got a few more *'s if you want.

OneMoreSucka
05-10-2009, 12:04 AM
nope...

it is 3-0*

forever...
I think it's just 3-0.

jaydacris
05-10-2009, 12:06 AM
if the nba makes a team replay the finale of a game because of incorrect foul tracking due to a home team's scoring/stat tracking staff (heat/hawks). shouldn't the nba do the same if their own staff(refs) *** up? hmm i dunno, i guess u gotta protect the integrity/rep of the refs in the sense that they cant make the right/perfect call all the time due to the subjective nature of reffing. while the whole heat/hawks replay thing was a simple objective counting error
but darn, it must sting to be a mavs fan

Jordandunk23
05-10-2009, 12:06 AM

and it isn't 3-0

it is 3-0*

well guess what, it the same NBA that left a few Celtic players unpunished even with questionable actions and ejected Ron Artest two games in a row... again its whatever, obvious is the key word... still doesn't matter whether you want it to be 3-0 or 3-0*, Denver is still one game away from winning it all... unless Dallas takes this series to Game 7, the call really doesn't affect the series

Arti
05-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Regardless if this game doesn't make a difference on the series outcome...regardless if the Mavs "deserved" to win or not...how can ANY of you call yourselves NBA fans and NOT be outraged that the refs blew a crunch time call that directly changed the outcome of the game?

OneMoreSucka
05-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Regardless if this game doesn't make a difference on the series outcome...regardless if the Mavs "deserved" to win or not...how can ANY of you call yourselves NBA fans and NOT be outraged that the refs blew a crunch time call that directly changed the outcome of the game?
Because it was my team that won :confusedshrug:

Killer_Instinct
05-10-2009, 12:11 AM
I typed all that because you and others keep mentioning him putting his hands up, backing off. I'm showing you WHY he did that. As a defender with 1 foul to give you just assume the ref will know the situation at hand and give you the call. Thats his fault for assuming wrong. Try reading sometime.

Whistle never blew because he expected it too. The play happened so quick. He bumped, reached in to Melo and expected a foul call. By that time Melo is gathering the ball to shoot the 3. He wants to avoid a shooting foul which offensive players try to sell the refs. Really simple.

We both agree he should have just wrapped him up once Melo regained controlled of the ball. And we arent here arguing this. But the rest of my post touched on what you spoke on so dont act like a wise ass kid.

Blame goes to the ref. And blame goes to A.Wright. The end.

Everyone moves on.

You're really barking up the wrong tree.

Why should I read the same thing I said that you just bassically reguritated to me, yet again?? I really can't understand what you're getting at, and it's understandable you're pissed, but at the end of the day, IMO, it was a dumb play by Wright; he didn't attempt to remain in front of Melo after his 'intentional foul', and acted as if he didn't want the foul and it cost him.(As you seem to agree, he should have wrapped him up) End of story. Wrap it up. It's done. It's unfourtantate, but they're down 3-0, and have no one to blame but themselves for that. This series was over from the time the ball was tipped.

I'm done.

KeylessEntry
05-10-2009, 12:11 AM

The refs were blowing calls all game long, why would they suddenly get a call right? I was really not outraged at all. Honestly I find it ironic and hilarious because in the 3rd and 4th quarter it looked like the refs were trying to hand Dallas the game on a silver platter.

Arti
05-10-2009, 12:12 AM
The refs were blowing calls all game long, why would they suddenly get a call right? I was really not outraged at all. Honestly I find it ironic and hilarious because in the 3rd and 4th quarter it looked like the refs were trying to hand Dallas the game on a silver platter.
Then you should at least be outraged at the general BAD officiating in the NBA right now.

Killer_Instinct
05-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Then you should at least be outraged at the general BAD officiating in the NBA right now.

That goes without saying. The officiating in this years Playoffs has been terrible.

KeylessEntry
05-10-2009, 12:16 AM

There has been a fcking truckload of bad officiating during these playoffs.

No flagrants called on Rondo for those two brutal fouls in the Chicago series.

Multiple ticky-tack fouls on Przybilla and Oden during the Rockets series.

Artest getting ejected for a good hard playoff foul against the Lakers last night.

Why should I start getting outraged now? I can look back at the Portland vs LAL game 7 WCF game in 2000, or the Sacto vs LAL series in 2002, or how about SAS vs PHX in 2007. Bad officiating is just part of the NBA game. Instead of being outraged I will just try to enjoy it for what it is, and tonight the "outrageous" officiating turned out to be hilarious in an ironic way, so im gonna laugh my ass off.

GOBB
05-10-2009, 12:18 AM
You're really barking up the wrong tree.

Bytch please.

Why should I read the same thing I said that you just bassically reguritated to me, yet again?? I really can't understand what you're getting at, and it's understandable you're pissed, but at the end of the day, IMO, it was a dumb play by Wright;

Pissed at what? :confusedshrug:

he didn't attempt to remain in front of Melo after his 'intentional foul', and acted as if he didn't want the foul and it cost him.(As you seem to agree, he should have wrapped him up)

Wrong. He didnt act like he didnt want the foul. He fouled him then backed off in case Melo attempted to SELL TO THE REF A SHOOTING FOUL/CONTINUATION. A whistle doesnt have to blow because in his mind it was an obvious foul call (as to most including commentators and the NBA who reviewed it).

We agree he should have just wrapped him up.
We disagree that he acted like he didnt want to foul Melo

Defensively challenging a person shooting a 3pter is frowned upon in that situation for the simple fact you put yourself at risk for fouling. This doesnt mean give up on a play which is what you think A.Wright did. He did but i already stated my argument to why.

This series was over from the time the ball was tipped.

This is dumb and shows you have a bias. The series was over from the time the ball was tipped? :oldlol: Real weak on your part. Good job kid.

Doomsday Dallas
05-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Nobody thought the Warriors would knock the top seeded Mav's out, yet they did. This is why you play the games.

Actually... I thought the Warriors had a great chance...

You F*cking idiot.

The Warriors did great against us in the regular season, and many MAVS fans were worried about the match up.

Don Nelson?

D-nugz
05-10-2009, 12:27 AM
After watching the replay over and over,

everyone expected the foul, anyone in the clutch would of wrapped Melo up.

Look at wright he looks like a dumb ass he obviously tried to avoid fouling Melo during the shot. He put up both hands as if to say I didn't foul.

Once Melo released the ball wright looks and once it's in that's when you see Wright saying oh but I fouled him where was the call.

Just a bad play in my opinion. If that was a foul that was one weak sauce foul.

3-0 and like Mavs honestly had a chance to win the series??

was hoping this to go 5 games looks like it will be a sweep.

Killer_Instinct
05-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Bytch please.

Pissed at what? :confusedshrug:

Wrong. He didnt act like he didnt want the foul. He fouled him then backed off in case Melo attempted to SELL TO THE REF A SHOOTING FOUL/CONTINUATION. A whistle doesnt have to blow because in his mind it was an obvious foul call (as to most including commentators and the NBA who reviewed it).

We agree he should have just wrapped him up.
We disagree that he acted like he didnt want to foul Melo

Defensively challenging a person shooting a 3pter is frowned upon in that situation for the simple fact you put yourself at risk for fouling. This doesnt mean give up on a play which is what you think A.Wright did. He did but i already stated my argument to why.

This is dumb and shows you have a bias. The series was over from the time the ball was tipped? :oldlol: Real weak on your part. Good job kid.

Obviously you're upset at the loss. OK. But why are you crying to me? I don't want to hear your sob story about why you think the Mavs lost. I responded to your first post. That's all that needed to be said, and it should have been left. If we both agree that he should have wrapped him up, why does it matter anymore? We disagree on him holding his hands/not playing after the whistle. It's called opinions. You have yours, I have mine. You're not changing my mind. So just stop. It's pointless. You're acting ass sore. Get over it. It's 3-0.

I don't really care what you think, I've already explained to you(unneccessarily) just why I thought the play was weak and stupid on Wright's part. And yeah. The series was over before the tip. Denver was/is clearly the better team, and I called that before Game 1. I predicted it to be over in 5 two days before the series began. Looks like a clean sweep from here, though. You going to get mad because I didn't think the Mavs had a snowballs chance in hell? Boo-****in'-hoo. If me making an observation about two teams I could give a shit about makes me bias because I didn't predict your team had a chance, then you need to grow a pair. You're looking like Cuban with your fit, and it's irrelevant, because at the end of the day it's 3-0.

Cry about it, I guess. Just not to me.

Allstar24
05-10-2009, 12:31 AM
What the f*ck is the point of this? I hate it when they do that. Why couldn't the officials check the replay and make the right call? Nobody gives a sh*t if the NBA admits their mistake after the game has already been decided.

D-nugz
05-10-2009, 12:35 AM
THE PLAY WAS WEAK

that's all it was. I could get pissed off on no calls. Look at Melo he has to get fouled hard to actually get a call on the inside.

In the end, it could have gone either way. People view the play differently and sure I'm a Nuggets fan. The way I saw it, Wright gave up on Defense and watched Melo shoot and once it went in that's when he started talking to the ref.

If you have a foul to give and you got 5seconds left make sure you wrap your player up or make it obvious. That was not an obvious foul looked like he didn't even want to get called for the foul until the shot went in.

IT WAS A WEAK PLAY BY WRIGHT

cortices
05-10-2009, 12:36 AM
i understand the nba doesn't want to slow the game down but the league is starting to lose credibility which in the long run is really the most important thing they have. they need to start doing more to insure the right call is being made, especially in late game situations like this.

BallPhunk
05-10-2009, 12:38 AM
:applause:

EXXXXXactly...

unless you are a Nugs fan this should piss you off...

honestly the last 3 years or so I have starting to think really differently about the NBA in general...

Is a sport broken when a "foul" is a good thing?

might have to start that thread...but would get alot of "STFU you Mavs cry baby"...

Cuban has been talking about this for a long time...the game is not ment to be played to take advantage of fouls and if it is happenening then things need to change...

I agree that in hindsight a foul should have been called. BUT I can't help but not get bent out of shape when:

1. If the team is coached properly, don't you tell the refs you have a foul to give and plan to use it (like you warn them about a time out at a crucial moment).

2. If that shot doesn't go in, I guarantee Dallas doesn't say a word. He clearly tried to play it off hoping for that very thing. If you're going to make that foul, you don't swipe - you leave no doubt. That stupid gesture he made after looked a lot like "I didn't touch him", regardless. The ref may have felt he was giving Dallas a break; it's not his job to know there's a foul to give meaning they plan to foul.

3. All this constant hysterics (like the bold above) about how the NBA is ruined with all these bad calls makes me ill. There have been some good series and the teams that should have won did.

There's always disputed calls in the playoffs. It's a hard job.

Dallas was up 4 with 30 seconds left I believe, at home. I wish they would have won, but they didn't. If they were the better team they would have.

~primetime~
05-10-2009, 12:45 AM
I agree that in hindsight a foul should have been called. BUT I can't help but not get bent out of shape when:

1. If the team is coached properly, don't you tell the refs you have a foul to give and plan to use it (like you warn them about a time out at a crucial moment).

2. If that shot doesn't go in, I guarantee Dallas doesn't say a word. He clearly tried to play it off hoping for that very thing. If you're going to make that foul, you don't swipe - you leave no doubt. That stupid gesture he made after looked a lot like "I didn't touch him", regardless. The ref may have felt he was giving Dallas a break; it's not his job to know there's a foul to give meaning they plan to foul.

3. All this constant hysterics (like the bold above) about how the NBA is ruined with all these bad calls makes me ill. There have been some good series and the teams that should have won did.

There's always disputed calls in the playoffs. It's a hard job.

Dallas was up 4 with 30 seconds left I believe, at home. I wish they would have won, but they didn't. If they were the better team they would have.
1. I am hearing 2 sides to this...
-He should have told the refs before hand
-The refs are dumb because it should have been completely obvious
:confusedshrug:

2. If that shot had missed I would bet every penny I have that the Nuggets would be going ape sh*t and the NBA would be apologizing to THEM right now...

3. I am just talking about the way the entire game is set up in general...ever since the Mavs/Heat series and listening to Cuban's views and others it almost seems as though fouls in general just completely ruin the game even when the call is correct...

Is basketball the ONLY sport where a fould can be considered "GOOD"???

doesn't that seem as though the rules are broken???...or that something needs to change???

would you see any kind of "foul" done on purpose in the NFL or MLB or NHL or ANY OTHER SPORT???? on a regular basis???

IDK...all I am saying is that my views on the NBA have changed over the past few years...for the worse...

D-nugz
05-10-2009, 12:50 AM

2. If that shot had missed I would bet every penny I have that the Nuggets would be going ape sh*t and the NBA would be apologizing to THEM right now...

3. I am just talking about the way the entire game is set up in general...ever since the Mavs/Heat series and listening to Cuban's views and others it almost seems as though fouls in general just completely ruin the game even when the call is correct...

Is basketball the ONLY sport where a fould can be considered "GOOD"???

doesn't that seem as though the rules are broken???...or that something needs to change???

would you see any kind of "foul" done on purpose in the NFL or MLB or NHL or ANY OTHER SPORT???? on a regular basis???

IDK...all I am saying is that my views on the NBA have changed over the past few years...for the worse...

Why would we go ape ****?
Dallas had the game in there hands you guys just played dumb ball. Too be specific Wright is quite dumb.

Like I always say if Melo would be at the line more if he actually gets the calls when he's on the inside he's one of the stars that just don't get calls for the little ***** touch fouls.

It's over, if Melo missed there would be threads saying Melo isn't clutch or he's not clutch in the playoffs.

BallPhunk
05-10-2009, 12:50 AM

I never said your second option. Point 1 stands.

But would you be complaining? ;-)

It's never the exact circumstances, but calls have an impact on every game. Watch football? Ask the Raiders a number of years back.

I understand a hard-core fan being pissed, but as I said there are two sides...

Doomsday Dallas
05-10-2009, 12:55 AM
EVERYBODY REMEMBER ONE THING:

NBA admits mistake in Nuggets-Mavs game

EVERYBODY ANSWER ME THIS:

has there been a mistake made that is bigger than this?.......

Oh yea... the fact that the refs worked for the mob once....

oh the horror
05-10-2009, 12:59 AM

I believe if you put yourself in a position to lose, and then you lose, its on you.

GOBB
05-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Obviously you're upset at the loss. OK. But why are you crying to me? I don't want to hear your sob story about why you think the Mavs lost. I responded to your first post. That's all that needed to be said, and it should have been left. If we both agree that he should have wrapped him up, why does it matter anymore? We disagree on him holding his hands/not playing after the whistle. It's called opinions. You have yours, I have mine. You're not changing my mind. So just stop. It's pointless. You're acting ass sore. Get over it. It's 3-0.

I don't really care what you think, I've already explained to you(unneccessarily) just why I thought the play was weak and stupid on Wright's part. And yeah. The series was over before the tip. Denver was/is clearly the better team, and I called that before Game 1. I predicted it to be over in 5 two days before the series began. Looks like a clean sweep from here, though. You going to get mad because I didn't think the Mavs had a snowballs chance in hell? Boo-****in'-hoo. If me making an observation about two teams I could give a shit about makes me bias because I didn't predict your team had a chance, then you need to grow a pair. You're looking like Cuban with your fit, and it's irrelevant, because at the end of the day it's 3-0.

Cry about it, I guess. Just not to me.

I'm a Sixers fans since the day my mom gave birth to me. So you typed all that to say what? Nothing. I typed all this to say what? Something.

~primetime~
05-10-2009, 01:01 AM
It's never the exact circumstances, but calls have an impact on every game. Watch football? Ask the Raiders a number of years back.

I understand a hard-core fan being pissed, but as I said there are two sides...
I think you are missing my point...

I am just saying that the past few years are making me question the rules in the NBA in general...

would you ever see an intentional pass interference done in the NFL?

would you ever see a short stop tackle a base runner on purpose?

those sports have aranged the rules to where comitting ANY kind of "FOUL" would never give your team a better chance to win...

I am just saying that the NBA is the ONLY sport where "fouls" are considered to be a "good thing" at times...

This is a problem according to Cuban...and it needs to be changed...

I have even heard some of the old timers talk about this...it is NOT how basketball was ment to be played...

the NBA should arrange the rules to where a team would NEVER want to foul...

a "FOUL" should ALWAYS be a bad thing...never a good thing...'

I would start a thread on this subject but I am all to familiar with the way alot of kids act here and it would just turn into a "STFU you sorry Mavs loser" fest...:ohwell:

anyway...JMO

TheAnchorman
05-10-2009, 01:05 AM
It was a foul, and the ref missed it. Wright should have sold it better, but the ref missed it. It wasn't an intentional miss, Salvatore was probably influenced by the context of the situation (crunch time) and did not call it. Melo hits the shot. But he should have been fouled.

imdaman99
05-10-2009, 01:06 AM
While this IS embarrassing, Nuggets were still gonna win this series. If they lost today, they would have beaten the Mavs by 58 pts in game 4. LOL ok I'm just kidding, but I coulda seen the Nuggets win game 4 regardless and basically ending the series right there.

kurple
05-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Yeah it was a bad call. But how can you say that the refs changed the outcome of the game? Nuggets would still have the ball, and time to get a good shot (from the league's best cluch player acording to stats).. The refs tried to give this game to the mavs, they didn't think melo would make that shot, but he did.

Geandily
05-10-2009, 01:14 AM
hahahhaha

RIDICULOUS!

Defender asked the ref to not call the foul and then was pissed that the foul wasn't called, funny funny stuff. NBA is cowardly

Arti
05-10-2009, 01:16 AM
would you ever see an intentional pass interference done in the NFL?
all the time, if the PI prevents a sure touchdown

LbloodOjunkieG
05-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Actually... I thought the Warriors had a great chance...

You F*cking idiot.

The Warriors did great against us in the regular season, and many MAVS fans were worried about the match up.

Don Nelson?

Oh, how nice. You resort to name calling. :applause: :applause: How classy of you!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

GOBB
05-10-2009, 01:18 AM
hahahhaha

RIDICULOUS!

Defender asked the ref to not call the foul and then was pissed that the foul wasn't called, funny funny stuff. NBA is cowardly

Why do you keep repeating yourself to the point its becoming spam? Couple posters gave you some laughing emoticons about your post earlier and now you are milkin it.

Give it a rest.

Geandily
05-10-2009, 01:19 AM
This fact stands:

The defender raised his hands asking the ref to not call the foul, when the shot went in all of a sudden he wanted the foul to be called.

LAME apology by the NBA and I'll stop making posts like this when there's no more threads about it :D

artest 93
05-10-2009, 01:21 AM
This fact stands:

The defender raised his hands asking the ref to not call the foul, when the shot went in all of a sudden he wanted the foul to be called.

LAME apology by the NBA and I'll stop making posts like this when the issue finally dies

So the refs should call fouls based on whether or not the players want it to be called? If it was a foul, it should have been called. That's the bottom line. The player is not even relevant in this -- the ref(s) is.

Bigsmoke
05-10-2009, 01:22 AM
well it isnt like it was a game 7 kind of ****... :rolleyes:

Geandily
05-10-2009, 01:24 AM
So the refs should call fouls based on whether or not the players want it to be called? If it was a foul, it should have been called. That's the bottom line. The player is not even relevant in this -- the ref(s) is.

Well maybe the relevant player should have been playing defense instead of crying, he could have at least contested the shot.

Like the Mavs had a guaranteed win anyway, who's to say that if the foul was called that Melo wouldn't have heard it and chucked the ball to get 3 freethrows?

There was about a 60% chance that the Nuggets were still going to win this game, I'll admit that it should have been a foul but come on, it's stupid how calls at the end of games get sooooooooo overly criticized. What about the obvious flagrant on Dahntay? That's something that people should be complaining about, not something that would have been an iffy call.

flipogb
05-10-2009, 01:25 AM
WOW, this whole 2nd round is making the NBA look like the they have the worst officials in all of sports

Geandily
05-10-2009, 01:27 AM
WOW, this whole 2nd round is making the NBA look like the they have the worst officials in all of sports

NBA officials have more responsibility than any other, would be nice for them to be able to make it easier on them. Hey maybe make intentional fouls illegal so something like this doesn't happen again? It's a pretty stupid scenario anyway.

Gundress
05-10-2009, 01:28 AM
This fact stands:

LAME apology by the NBA and I'll stop making posts like this when there's no more threads about it :D

Exactly!!!

Gundress
05-10-2009, 01:30 AM
I hate people blame on refs.....blame on Wright because it was very f*cking weak intentional foul, we couldnt tell that if he tried to foul on that but it didn't look like that.

04mzwach
05-10-2009, 01:32 AM
The bets are down this season and even the NBA is in on it for all I know. I have no problem with the call tonight, but there are a lot of problems with the refs this playoffs. It just wasn't this bad until now. I know there have been series where there was confusion a little bit, but not in this series and that series. There needs to be consistency or the NBA will lose all respect. This isn't the WWE.

Bigsmoke
05-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Well maybe the relevant player should have been playing defense instead of crying, he could have at least contested the shot.

Like the Mavs had a guaranteed win anyway, who's to say that if the foul was called that Melo wouldn't have heard it and chucked the ball to get 3 freethrows?

There was about a 60% chance that the Nuggets were still going to win this game, I'll admit that it should have been a foul but come on, it's stupid how calls at the end of games get sooooooooo overly criticized. What about the obvious flagrant on Dahntay? That's something that people should be complaining about, not something that would have been an iffy call.

The Mavs are not gonna win the series anyway though lol:hammerhead:

~primetime~
05-10-2009, 01:33 AM
all the time, if the PI prevents a sure touchdown
no you don't...:ohwell:

EVER...I can't recall that ever happening in the NFL...

because the penalty for it is pretty much the equivlent to a TD...they set it up to where you would never want to do it...

the NBA is the ONLY sport where fouls are reffered to as "intentional" on a regualr basis...EVERY GAME pretty much...

The rules need to change to where a player would never want to "intentionaly foul" another player...just like the other sports...

artest 93
05-10-2009, 01:34 AM
What the hell are people arguing over? There's nothing to debate.

IF IT'S A FOUL, IT SHOULD BE CALLED

I don't even have bias towards either team. You don't even have to watch the game to make that claim. If the ref didn't call the foul because he wanted to give the Mavs a chance, than he is at fault too. It doesn't matter about the outcome.

Also, 2 wrong calls don't make a right. Refs are human, but sometimes you have to wonder how many games,series they've changed because of faulty calls (not that it applies here).

Nuggets would have beaten the Mavs anyway.

Gundress
05-10-2009, 01:40 AM
I honestly think NBA is hurting right now as a sport, it's getting worst & worst.

This playoff are really boring to me beside Bulls vs Celtics series.

NBA playoffs are playing like a b*tch.

kurple
05-10-2009, 01:43 AM
This playoff are really boring to me beside Bulls vs Celtics series.

Guess your team is out, Am i right?

No.45
05-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Carlisle and the Mavs need to stop b*tchin. They said it was an intentional foul, because they had one to give. And Wright's bump on Carmelo was maaad SOFT. Stfu, why didn't he wrap his arms around him? The Mavs deserved that *****. Next time if they want a call, foul to make sure of it. GEEZ.

~primetime~
05-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Carlisle and the Mavs need to stop b*tchin. They said it was an intentional foul, because they had one to give. And Wright's bump on Carmelo was maaad SOFT. Stfu, why didn't he wrap his arms around him? The Mavs deserved that *****. Next time if they want a call, foul to make sure of it. GEEZ.
OK...

once the NBA comes forward and admitts to f*ckin up posts like this ONE should stop...

he shouldn't have had to tackle the MFer for it to be obvious to the refs at that point...

the refs f*cked up...and even THEY say they f*cked up...

Hawker
05-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Why do people keep saying, "oh the mavs are gonna lose the series anyways?" How the hell do you know? Yes, it looks like the nuggets are the better team but the better team doesnt always win as shown in the mavs vs. heat and mavs vs. warriors series.

So I guess the no-call, as incredibly obvious as it was, not be called b/c UCLA was the #1 seed and clearly the better team. Yall are retarded. The NBA admits it f*cked up and you're still trying to defend it. Absolutely pathetic.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/10377/Foul.jpg

OneMoreSucka
You act like that missed call cost the Mavs the game. If it were called, the Nuggets would've still had a few seconds and whose to say Melo wouldn't do it again?

KeylessEntry
Who cares? Its 3-0, the mavs suck and they would never have won the series anyway. Just forget about this like you forgot about Rajon Rondo flagrant foul on Brad Miller.

Bigsmoke
05-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Why do people keep saying, "oh the mavs are gonna lose the series anyways?"

because they are clearly not as good...

Gundress
05-10-2009, 01:52 AM
Guess your team is out, Am i right?

No, you're wrong.

No.45
05-10-2009, 01:53 AM
OK...

once the NBA comes forward and admitts to f*ckin up posts like this ONE should stop...

he shouldn't have had to tackle the MFer for it to be obvious to the refs at that point...

the refs f*cked up...and even THEY say they f*cked up...

Wright bumped him with his chest. A lot of those types of fouls are never called. I'm just saying, if they wanted to foul him intentionally, why didn't he wrap him up like everyone else who fouls with one to give. That makes sure refs will stop the play. Bottom line is it wasn't the refs fault.

~primetime~
05-10-2009, 01:53 AM
Who cares? Its 3-0, the mavs suck and they would never have won the series anyway. Just forget about this like you forgot about Rajon Rondo flagrant foul on Brad Miller.
F*CK THE PLAYOFFS THEN!!!!

LET'S JUST SKIP STRAIGHT TO THE F*CKIN LAKERS/CAVS FINALS!!!!

It is getting annoying as f*ck reading over and over that this doesn't matter because it is just the Mavs...:banghead:

that isn't the point....f*ck

NBA fans in general should be upset by this...

oh the horror
05-10-2009, 01:56 AM
Wow, this was the no call?

FOUL HARDER NEXT TIME. WTF WAS THAT???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9K8kcx6b88

~primetime~
05-10-2009, 01:59 AM
Wow, this was the no call?

FOUL HARDER NEXT TIME. WTF WAS THAT???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9K8kcx6b88
even the announcer said "there's the foul" right when he did it...:rolleyes:

oh the horror
05-10-2009, 02:02 AM

The refs are damned if they do, and damned if they dont. Either its the fact that they call ticky tack fouls, soft fouls, etc etc, or its the fact that they SHOULD have called a foul.

Either way, you dont thump someone at the end of the game, Carmelo is too strong to not FOUL HIM HARD. You grab him, or better yet, not let him pass you.

Wright didnt deliver on that, and the refs didnt bail him out either. Both parties dropped the ball on that one.

OneMoreSucka
05-10-2009, 02:02 AM
Radio didn't.

KeylessEntry
05-10-2009, 02:03 AM
F*CK THE PLAYOFFS THEN!!!!

LET'S JUST SKIP STRAIGHT TO THE F*CKIN LAKERS/CAVS FINALS!!!!

It is getting annoying as f*ck reading over and over that this doesn't matter because it is just the Mavs...:banghead:

that isn't the point....f*ck

NBA fans in general should be upset by this...

Who cares? Its 3-0, the mavs suck and they would never have won the series anyway.

kurple
05-10-2009, 02:08 AM
If you want a foul, don't put up your hands and wait untill you see if he makes it or not to complain about the call. Neither the players or the bench wanted the call until they saw that Melo made it

~primetime~
05-10-2009, 02:11 AM
If you want a foul, don't put up your hands and wait untill you see if he makes it or not to complain about the call. Neither the players or the bench wanted the call until they saw that Melo made it
if you have been watching ESPN it shows that he clearly swiped at Melo's arms and then raised his arms to the refs as to say he fouled...

yeah, when no whistle was blown he watched the ball...big deal...

the damn refs have owned up I don't understand why the damn fans can't own up...(unless you are a Nugs fan of course)

oh the horror
05-10-2009, 02:13 AM
Carmelo Anthony is strong bro...if my assignment is to foul, im holding him.

OneMoreSucka
05-10-2009, 02:13 AM
"I can't blatantly run through the guy; I have to make a play on the ball and that's what I felt like I did," Wright said. "I didn't want to jeopardize my team in any way by making a foolish foul."

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

kurple
05-10-2009, 02:15 AM
if you have been watching ESPN it shows that he clearly swiped at Melo's arms and then raised his arms to the refs as to say he fouled...

What are you talking about? He was like "i didn't do nothing" until the ball went in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRpQ5VOCeBg&feature=channel_page

And i know it was a foul and it should have been called, but it could have gone both ways

Edit: After watching it with none nuggets fan eyes, I admit that he might have wanted tha call ;) But it is he could have done a better job

zabuza666
05-10-2009, 02:16 AM

The refs were helping you all night except for one call, quit *****ing

oh the horror
05-10-2009, 02:17 AM
You know what it seems like to me? He depended on the officials FAR MORE than he should have. Like I said, if your assignment is to commit an intential foul to stop the clock for the sake of the game? YOU FOUL him without a shadow of a doubt. It was weak, but it was apparent, and should have been called, but seriously dude....

kurple
05-10-2009, 02:18 AM
The refs were helping you all night except for one call, quit *****ing

The refs didnt think melo would hit it and wanted the clock to run out, they helped the mavs the entire game.

OneMoreSucka
05-10-2009, 02:20 AM
The refs didnt think melo would hit it and wanted the clock to run out, they helped the mavs the entire game.
Brilliant

Gundress
05-10-2009, 02:24 AM
You know what it seems like to me? He depended on the officials FAR MORE than he should have. Like I said, if your assignment is to commit an intential foul to stop the clock for the sake of the game? YOU FOUL him without a shadow of a doubt. It was weak, but it was apparent, and should have been called, but seriously dude....

WELL SAID!....Wright is a dumbass player.

Originally Posted by kurple

That's might be true.

Hey, Primetime....It's time to move on.

~primetime~
05-10-2009, 02:24 AM

they are saying on ESPN that even though it should have been completely obvious to the refs that he should have just told them ahead of time...

I mean you can't really get upset at Wright for not tackling the MFer...

that could result in a technical...

the refs f*cked up...but Wright should have told the refs pre-whistle just in case what happened doesn't happen...

now that the NBA has come forward and admitted it was a bad call they have got to take action next season in an effort to make sure this never happens again...

I don't know how Dallas fans are expected to get excited for next season after something like this...what is the point?

Gundress
05-10-2009, 02:26 AM
The only I have problem with Wright.......that was WEAK ASS INTENTIONAL FOUL

~primetime~
05-10-2009, 02:28 AM
The only I have problem with Wright.......that was WEAK ASS INTENTIONAL FOUL
WHAT DID YOU EXPECT DUDE!!!

THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Xp1r5-4EQ&feature=related

ridiculous...:banghead:

OneMoreSucka
05-10-2009, 02:34 AM

THIS:

A simple wrap up around his arms would do...

iggy>
05-10-2009, 02:36 AM
the mavs:lol at least they got farther than the cowboys. :roll: (44-6:pimp: )

~primetime~
05-10-2009, 02:38 AM
the mavs:lol at least they got farther than the cowboys. :roll: (44-6:pimp: )
and the Sixers...:pimp:

Hammertime
05-10-2009, 02:44 AM
I'm too lazy to go through the entire set of NBA rules, but do they specifically say the refs MUST call a foul if it occurs? I'm wondering because you occasionally see refs electing not to call a non-shooting foul because the player broke away for a dunk.

KeylessEntry
05-10-2009, 02:45 AM
and the Sixers...:pimp:

and the eagles

oh wait....

Gundress
05-10-2009, 02:46 AM

THIS:

I am not expecting to see the hard foul but Wright wasn't doing his right job. He's confused & he knew it, he messed up. He hasn't been in that situation in the playoff experience.

I agreed with Barkley, Kenny Smith talked about they rather to see refs didn't call it when comes to a close game with few secs left and it's not refs game, it's player games...i want to see the playesr made the smart choice, smart play, etc instead complaining & b*itching at refs If refs call the foul....it's not fun to me and big let down.

If Melo didnt make it the shot and that was supposed to be a fou butl...I still rather refs not to call that.

Refs were doing right thing when camae to a close game. ITS A ****ING PLAYOFFF@

Hawker
05-10-2009, 02:48 AM
Dude...Rick Carlisla really shouldve known better to put an Aggie in charge of a vital moment in the game.

Seriously...Aggies have never been good at anything in the past 10 years in anything sports related.

Except DeAndre Jordan. And Martellus Bennet.

oh the horror
05-10-2009, 02:51 AM
A simple wrap up around his arms would do...

No kidding. Why are people suddenly acting like they forgot what a good intentional foul was?

"WELL HE COULDNT TACKLE HIM!"

Uh....what?

Jailblazers7
05-10-2009, 02:54 AM
Who cares? :oldlol:

I wanted the Nuggets to win anyways.

oh the horror
05-10-2009, 03:01 AM
Ive been watching the video over and over...not ONLY did he commit a lame soft foul, but when Carmelo passed him, he threw his hands up as if there was no contact, and then when the shot was made, he THEN contested the call, or no call?

Dude ****ed up, period.

When they say foul, you FOUL.

Soundwave
05-10-2009, 04:20 AM
It would be funny if this shifts the karma/pisses off the Mavs so much that they somehow come back from down 0-3, whereas if the foul had been called and they won game 3, they probably still would've lost the series in 5 or 6 games.

asu77golf
05-10-2009, 04:21 AM

and it isn't 3-0

it is 3-0*

no, it's 3-0

look it up, the NBA says I'm right!!!

:cry:

oh the horror
05-10-2009, 04:25 AM
It would be funny if this shifts the karma/pisses off the Mavs so much that they somehow come back from down 0-3, whereas if the foul had been called and they won game 3, they probably still would've lost the series in 5 or 6 games.

Mavs dont have big enough balls for that one to happen, but it would be insane.

asu77golf
05-10-2009, 04:48 AM

They're not called THE HULKS, it doesn't matter how pissed off they get. Series over. Where's all those cocky Mavs fans that started the thread "We Own the Nuggets" or whatever, hahahaha, lookin' GOOD fellas'. Perhaps a little humility next time.

oh the horror
05-10-2009, 05:01 AM
Where's all those cocky Mavs fans that started the thread "We Own the Nuggets" or whatever, hahahaha, lookin' GOOD fellas'. Perhaps a little humility next time.

Lesson learned on that one eh?

Nanners
05-10-2009, 05:04 AM
mavs fans need to realize that they can take something positive away from this game. here is a quick checklist

1. you are down 0-3

2. your team sucks

3. you would have lost anyway

now once you accept these 3 main facts of life, we can move on to the more important things, like whether or not bennet salvatore really takes money from the mafia

spree43
05-10-2009, 05:17 AM
This is how I saw it Dallas fans...

1. You had a young in experienced guy playing on Melo, and he made a young inexperienced play. That I'm sure he won't do next time. He went for the ball only on the foul and should have made it more clumsy, and wrapped up with the other hand

2. He then proceeded to not guard Melo after the initial foul attempt, inexperienced mistake

3. You lost the game because you didn't put Josh Howard on Melo on this play
EDIT: Just realised Howard had 5 fouls, so probably a result of that rather than bad coaching on that play, because your really weak at the swing positions and kidd is needed for Mr Bigshot

4. Lets not neglect the two bad shots by Dirk

5. This single play didn't cost you the game or the series, they still had the ball, you still had 2 chances to win the game and Dirk didn't take them

6. If Melo had have travelled and then hit the shot you could say the refs cost you the game, because you would have gotten the ball back, and the call would have cost you possesion, but it didn't, the nuggets would have just run a catch and shoot play

7. Cuban and Howard grossly overreacted after the game, mostly because they realised the series is basicly over and this was a must win, and its really poor sportsmanship to act like this when it was a really bad play by Wright

8. Dallas lost this game tonight because of bad coaching and bad shot selection at the end of the game, don't try and push the blame completely on the refs

momo
05-10-2009, 05:26 AM
This is how I saw it Dallas fans...

1. You had a young in experienced guy playing on Melo, and he made a young inexperienced play. That I'm sure he won't do next time. He went for the ball only on the foul and should have made it more clumsy, and wrapped up with the other hand

2. He then proceeded to not guard Melo after the initial foul attempt, inexperienced mistake

3. You lost the game because you didn't put Josh Howard on Melo on this play

4. Lets not neglect the two bad shots by Dirk

5. This single play didn't cost you the game or the series, they still had the ball, you still had 2 chances to win the game and Dirk didn't take them

6. If Melo had have travelled and then hit the shot you could say the refs cost you the game, because you would have gotten the ball back, and the call would have cost you possesion, but it didn't, the nuggets would have just run a catch and shoot play

7. Cuban and Howard grossly overreacted after the game, mostly because they realised the series is basicly over and this was a must win, and its really poor sportsmanship to act like this when it was a really bad play by Wright

8. Dallas lost this game tonight because of bad coaching and bad shot selection at the end of the game, don't try and push the blame completely on the refs

Great post, true dat on all counts.

Teams tell ref's they are going to foul, so you can be chapped at the refs a bit if need be, but freeking FOUL if it is the game on the line and do not have wet behind the ears sparky in the game assigned to do it.

Ref's = 1% blame here, Mavs get the other 98%. Rest is kobe's fault.

RainierBeachPoet
05-10-2009, 06:46 AM
"Carmelo fumbled the ball and I hit him," Wright said.
Wright stepped back, waiting for a call that never came.

"Antoine was so sure that he fouled that he stopped (playing)," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said.
Said Nuggets coach George Karl: "I didn't see a foul."

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12332295

i cant wait to see game 4!!

Brunch@Five
05-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Refs were absolutely right in not calling a foul. A foul should only be called if the fouled player was put at a disadvantage. Melo proceeded to hit the shot. Refs made everything right, the blame should be solely on the Mavs. Wright didn't defend well enough/foul hard enough to force the refs to make a call.

And I'm a Mavs fan saying this.

Blue&Orange
05-10-2009, 07:12 AM
I was kinda of routing for the mavs, but:

First, it's not the first time that type of contact doesn't get a call, second if the ball didn't went in it would be the Nuggets fans that would be cursing the ref

So props for Melo and wright could have done more.

JJ81
05-10-2009, 07:20 AM
It was a good shot but put an asterix on that game

godofgods
05-10-2009, 07:25 AM
The Mavs just don't match up well with this year's Nuggets.

Phenith
05-10-2009, 07:52 AM
WEAK "foul" by Wright... there is NO reason not to just hold him there if he wants to foul him. Why does he back off immediately after the bump like he was trying not to foul. If anything he confused the refs with that... it looked like he was just hoping he delayed Melo's progress enough that time would have run out.

spree43
05-10-2009, 08:06 AM
WEAK "foul" by Wright... there is NO reason not to just hold him there if he wants to foul him. Why does he back off immediately after the bump like he was trying not to foul. If anything he confused the refs with that... it looked like he was just hoping he delayed Melo's progress enough that time would have run out.
I think he didn't want Melo to get a shot attempt off and then get 3 shots
But an experienced player would have been able to do the second foul correctly, let alone the first

bagelred
05-10-2009, 09:48 AM
My instant reaction was also that Wright was motioning "I didn't foul him". But logically it makes no sense. Why would Wright stop if he thought he DIDN'T foul him. He stopped playing for a reason.

Wright clearly should have continued playing and not take anything for granted, so he is wrong. But he thought foul was so obvious, that who could possibly miss it?

Woops.

ronron15
05-10-2009, 10:23 AM

agreed.
They can't blame it on one possession like J-Kidd said. It's a mistake. But refs always make mistakes. Maybe there's a mistake in the middle of the game against the Nuggets.

The_Yearning
05-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Wow not GK is even more of a lil b1tch then he was before..."I didn't see a foul"

what a coward you already stole the game from them might as well admit the mistake you little chump...that's why your son ain't playing....and yo ass gonna get butt raped by the lakers...this is the year for denver...they gonna be ****ty next year compared to now cause billy ain't getting younger...lol another failure year for melo boy..

w00terz
05-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Wow not GK is even more of a lil b1tch then he was before..."I didn't see a foul"

what a coward you already stole the game from them might as well admit the mistake you little chump...that's why your son ain't playing....and yo ass gonna get butt raped by the lakers...this is the year for denver...they gonna be ****ty next year compared to now cause billy ain't getting younger...lol another failure year for melo boy..

:lol Yea, because George Karl was the one who "stole" the game from them. It's Karl's fault the refs were trying to hand the Mavericks the game last night.

johndough
05-10-2009, 12:50 PM
What's so difficult to understand? It was a situation in which everybody in the building knew what the MAVS wanted to do.....take a situational foul.

No different than when the defensive team wants to foul and the offensive player throws the ball at the basket knowing he's trying to take the foul. Does the official make this a 3pt attempt? And give him 3 shots? No.

well...only if they choose to.

So much room for interpretation in the rule book for the officials they can do whatever they want. The teams didnt matter, it was a good day in the desert.

icemanfan
05-10-2009, 12:59 PM

nugget fans vs the NBA and the rest of the reasonable fans plus the press equals you won don't be a sore winner admit the refs ****ed it up and move on.

OneMoreSucka
05-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Nuggets > Mavs

icemanfan
05-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Nuggets > Mavs
agreed so there is no reason for the NBA to give the game to the Nuggets. So you want the corrected call to count so you can go ahead and prove how much better they are than the Mavs? I think they should. The NBA has an agenda and they work towards that. So far this year only the Magic have screwed up the NBA's plans by beating the 76'ers with Howard gone in the last game of the series. The NBA its fixedtastic.

asu77golf
05-10-2009, 01:44 PM
nugget fans vs the NBA and the rest of the reasonable fans plus the press equals you won don't be a sore winner admit the refs ****ed it up and move on.

There's a whole load of people in this thread who don't measure up with your description of a 'reasonable fan'. Maybe take another vote, your last one sucks.

AznTacoLover
05-10-2009, 01:59 PM
well theres nothing you can now to change the outcome. :rolleyes:

Bodin
05-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Can't we all just agree that Antoine Wright is a dumbass so we can all get along?

/end thread

Doranku
05-10-2009, 02:45 PM
dallas should go out there with an intent to injure carmelo anthony. what do they have to lose?

Dignity?

NoGunzJustSkillz
05-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Dignity?

after you get fcked year after year, you just lose it. dirk will go postal in game 4.

KeylessEntry
05-10-2009, 02:47 PM
dallas should go out there with an intent to injure carmelo anthony. what do they have to lose?

thats just fcked up man. every basketball player knows its extremely classless to try to injure another player. If dirk heard you saying this he would smack you upside the head.

NoGunzJustSkillz
05-10-2009, 02:53 PM
thats just fcked up man. every basketball player knows its extremely classless to try to injure another player. If dirk heard you saying this he would smack you upside the head.

in the heat of the battle, anything goes. nah, but i am not talking about bringing metal bars and machine guns on the court, just a nice hard foul to end melo's play-offs. anyways im pretty sure i am joking, i like melo. maybe go for nene.

KeylessEntry
05-10-2009, 03:06 PM
in the heat of the battle, anything goes. nah, but i am not talking about bringing metal bars and machine guns on the court, just a nice hard foul to end melo's play-offs. anyways im pretty sure i am joking, i like melo. maybe go for nene.

thats messed up regardless of whether you are "pretty sure you are joking". its flat out classless to wish injuries on any NBA player.

iamgine
05-10-2009, 03:14 PM
damn they even reviewed the play after that, how the hell does three referees missed it.

w00terz
05-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Someone needs to injure Kobe and end his playoffs.

Retarded Lakers fans.

asu77golf
05-10-2009, 04:15 PM

The Nuggs are a much more physical team, I'm not sure the Mavies want to pick any fights.

crounsa810
05-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Wow. What a dumbass. If anything happens to anyone on the Nuggets YOU will be the one injured.

OneMoreSucka
05-10-2009, 04:31 PM
after you get fcked year after year, you just lose it. dirk will go postal in game 4.
The odds of Dirk going postal is about the same as Kobe staying faithful to his wife.

Al Thornton
05-10-2009, 04:33 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: If the Rockets without Yao can beat them by 20 points I can see the Nuggets sweeping the fakers.

dn41
05-10-2009, 04:41 PM
thanks to the refs the nuggets are now going to lose in 7. sorry nuggets fans:pimp:

clayton
05-10-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm pretty sure even a random street player can see that was a foul.

Once again NBA, upgrade your damn refs.

Kiarip
05-10-2009, 04:48 PM
it was the type of foul, that if Mavs didn't have a foul to give it wouldn't be called, and if it was then all the fans would go crazy over that.

WubbyNuts
05-10-2009, 05:04 PM
If Antoine Wright had full intent of fouling he would have wrapped him up, it's that simple. The Mavs are just looking at some reason to blame a horrible loss on... they only have themselves to blame.

kentatm
05-10-2009, 08:52 PM
christ some of you are dumb.

that was a clear intentional foul. the refs missed it and it cost the game.

anyone denying that is either Nugs homer or already hated the Mavs in the first place

NuggetsFan
05-10-2009, 08:55 PM

anyone denying that is either Nugs homer or already hated the Mavs in the first place

It was a foul. But we both know if Melo missed that shot everyone would be saying it was good no call because of the situation.

OneMoreSucka
05-10-2009, 08:58 PM

It was a half assed reach in foul, not an intentional foul.

GOBB
05-10-2009, 09:03 PM

Listening to Carlisle and Kidd tell it? That play didnt cost them the game. While both acknowledge the missed call neither are pointing to it as the reason Dallas lost. Just a thought. I doubt either is a Nugs home or hates the Mav. :oldlol:

It was a foul. But we both know if Melo missed that shot everyone would be saying it was good no call because of the situation.

Everyone but Nuggets fans who would be asking for the ball out of bounds with another oppurtunity. :oldlol:

JohnRuck
05-10-2009, 09:27 PM
I feel bad for nuggets fans. All of this excitement over a team who is making a decent run only to find they cant hang with the better teams left in the playoffs. enjoy it while it lasts, because the nuggets arent that great.

j.r. smith = bad streak shooter
chris anderson = meth head
chauncy billups = greatness
carmelo = one of the best in the league
kenyon martin = ok at defense

so basically only real good thing denver has going for them is billups and especialy anthony.

asu77golf
05-10-2009, 09:38 PM
I feel bad for nuggets fans. All of this excitement over a team who is making a decent run only to find they cant hang with the better teams left in the playoffs. enjoy it while it lasts, because the nuggets arent that great.

so basically only real good thing denver has going for them is billups and especialy anthony.

yawn

SCdac
05-10-2009, 10:05 PM
its probably been mentioned already. too lazy to read all 12 pages.

but it def reminds me of last years WCF. brent is fouled, no whistle, goes for the shot anyways, could have tied the game and sent it to overtime (in this case melo made the shot, and wright was intending to foul. but similar none the less).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR4m0ZThDYY

The league office on Wednesday reviewed the final play of the San Antonio Spurs' 93-91 home loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals and acknowledged that a two-shot foul should have been called on Derek Fisher for impeding Brent Barry.

not necassarily saying it "cost" the spurs that game. but its still relevant. the league missing a really pivotal call like that at the end of a playoff game.

OneMoreSucka
05-10-2009, 10:35 PM

JR Smith = Instant offense off the bench. Can shoot from 30+ft, split doubles, and get to the rim at will.
Chris AndersEn = Instant energy, good finisher, defensive presence around the rim, and NOT a meth head (though did smoke weed with my boss two years ago. True story.)
Kenyon Martin = GREAT at defense, quickest hands in the league, quickest feet for a PF and tough minded.

Next.

iggy>
05-10-2009, 10:42 PM

:wtf:

Nugget X
05-10-2009, 11:01 PM
This notion being tossed around that the non call handed the Nuggets the game is absurd. It's an embarrassment to the wonderful biological marvel that is the human brain.

First, Melo made an incredible shot. The refs didn't make it for him. Not many players would have made that shot. If Kobe or Lebron makes that shot under the same circumstances, the sporting press would be drowning in their own drool and jizz. The Mavs missed FAR easier shots in crunch time that could have iced the game.

If they made the call, Nuggets get the ball with plenty of time left to get off the shot, with the same player on the floor who wound up swishing a shot with icy smoothness. Guess what? The refs didn't give him the icy smoothness. Yet the crying clones want to assume he couldn't possibly make the same shot, even though he's established he can make that shot throughout his short career. People need to stop acting like the game was over if that call was made. Melo was still there and he was going to win it.

Second, instead of crying about the call, how about crying about the Mavs complete failure to execute in the final 30 seconds? When Terry hit that shot, they thought they won and they stopped executing. If you are nursing a 4 pt lead with 31 seconds left, the way you win is by playing defense for at least 8 seconds. If you give up an uncontested dunk in 3 seconds, you've put yourself in position to lose. I suppose the refs had something to do with taking away the Mavs ability to play basic fundamental crunch time defense at that moment as well....

Officiating in the NBA is crap, no doubt. It didn't start yesterday, and this isn't the first time a call at the end of a game played a roll in the outcome. This non call wouldn't even make the top 50 bad calls list from anyone who has been watching this league longer than a week. How many times have ridiculous calls sent people to the foul line to put up easy points. How many times have bad calls resulted in a change of possession in crucial moments. This was nothing of the sort.

To win in the NBA, you've got to be better than a bad call. If you're not good enough to overcome a single bad call, you have nothing to cry over. As a Nuggets fan, I could go on and on about games where bad calls cost the Nuggets in crucial moments. But in each case, there was something you could point to where the Nuggets simply failed to execute and got themselves in a position to lose because of that call. If you're not good enough to overcome that, you're not good enough to win.

The Nuggets had bad calls go against them in game 3. The Mavs were awarded a basket on an obvious clean block by Andersen... Howard stumbled on a layup while Dahntay Jones was clearly backing off with ZERO contact and Jones got a foul. Melo was called for an absurd foul on a scrum with 1:28 left that clearly should have been a jump ball. They only had THREE calls go for them the entire 4th quarter (so yes, that non call was consistent). On this game, on this night, they were good enough to fight through it. When their best player had a chance to win, he got it done. He was going to get his chance regardless of how the call went. When the Mavs best player had his chance to ice it or win, he didn't get it done. The Nuggets won the game and deserved every bit of it.

NuggetsFan
05-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Everyone but Nuggets fans who would be asking for the ball out of bounds with another oppurtunity. :oldlol:

Ahh your probably right:pimp:

icemanfan
05-11-2009, 02:31 PM
There's a whole load of people in this thread who don't measure up with your description of a 'reasonable fan'. Maybe take another vote, your last one sucks.
true you and the other homers included. Be like me trying to justify the Amare stood up call vs the Spurs. It was a **** call that went in your favor. No need to be a baby. Celebrate, have fun , admit the refs ****ed up, admit there will be nothing done about it, enjoy the damn 3-0 lead and move on. There is zero need to try and defend a **** call just because it favored your team.

d-wade2923
05-11-2009, 04:40 PM
If you are going to foul a guy, then foul a guy.

Brunch@Five
05-11-2009, 05:23 PM
From simple basketball standpoint ... how can you justify calling that foul if the player proceeds to hit a shot less than a second later?
Intentional fouls are lame anyways, in Europe an intentional foul is an automatic flagrant. Intentional fouls are worse than flopping.

Admiral
05-11-2009, 05:37 PM
The NBA is garbage.. I am glad I am a fan of the Clips and not of some team that thinks they have a chance to make it to the finals because that stuff has been predetermined by the OFFICES.. Remember this is a business.. I am sure the lakers and the overRATED Cavs will make the finals...

why did you emphasize "rated"?

miniharrison37
05-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Mark Cuban called Kenyon Martin a "Thug"